Quip Ratings

Overall
4.4/5
4.4/5

About Quip

Quip is a new way to collaborate with your team that combines documents, spreadsheets, checklists, and chat in one seamless experience. Efficiently manage projects, finalize budget plans, share meeting notes, and stay connected every step of the way. Used by thousands of the most innovative companies in the world: Facebook, NewRelic, Quora, and Pinterest. Available on web, Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS. Get started with Quip for free. Learn more about Quip

Nathan S.
Digital Marketing Manager
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
July 18, 2019

“Quip's An Alternative to Google Docs and Slack”

OverallI tested Quip as part of a team effort to find a collaborative tool that we could incorporate across the board. Over the 6 month period that I tested it, I found that while it was functional for the most part as a lot of things, it failed in key areas that we would need it to work including handling large spreadsheets, edit history and connectivity issues. However the price and slow functionality when it comes to bigger documents/spreadsheets leaves much to be desired and as such, it may not be ideal for anyone but bigger organizations that want to cut off multiple communication channels and document tools. Overall Quip is a good alternative to Slack & Google Apps. However it leaves some things to be desired in the looks and function department.
ProsQuip is a great collaboration tool that is something similar to Slack, Google Docs and Google Sheets all wrapped up into one. My favorite feature is the collaboration tool which allows you to edit documents and discuss them in real time with other users. You can send messages to other users and Quip has a nice way of letting you know whether a user is online or offline. The messages can be sent to individuals and within a group chat setting. When commenting on spreadsheets, you can annotate cell by cell which is something helpful especially if you are reviewing spreadsheets with a lot of information. File management is a charm. You can easily upload shared documents to folders and limit who can see the documents as well as who can edit/view the documents. One gripe about collaboration apps that I have had in the past is the amount of notifications you get if you have multiple people working on documents/projects etc. Quip solves this by giving you the option to prioritize the notifications you want to this. You can also @ specific people which makes communication easier. Similar to Slack, there is an option to notify everyone with an @everyone option to send messages to a whole team. Quip integrates well with Salesforce, so if you are using Salesforce, this is a good option.
ConsIf you want to test Quip before deciding, you may not like the requirement for a work email. You need constant internet connectivity to make Quip work, if you find yourself in a place where there is no internet, you may be out of luck to use Quip. While Quip is good for communication, editing and collaborating on big spreadsheets slows the app down and you can find it slows down performance. You are better doing light to medium size documents/spreadsheets. When collaborating documents, versioning and edit history are important. It gets hard to revert to an older copy of a document and it can create some confusion if there are a lot of people looking at the same document.
July 18, 2019
Tracy D.
Marketing Manager
Construction, 501-1000 employees
December 12, 2017

“Easy to use, great for collaborating, aimed at younger professionals”

OverallCollaboration, simple cloud-based tool, integration with Salesforce
ProsIt's super easy to start using and is great for shared documents where you need to have multiple people providing input and updates. I like that two people can be simultaneously working on a document without a problem.
ConsMy annoyances with this software stem from the features - what is there and what is not there. One of my biggest gripes is that Quip believes it is "distracting and not necessary" (their words) to have the option of changing the color of the text. I disagree. As a business professional for the past 25 years, I can tell you there are instances where you need to color code text. I recently had a huge, very collaborative project that I wanted to base out of Quip and THE ONLY REASON I couldn't use Quip was because it had to be color coded and Quip doesn't do that. I've tried appealing to them but so far, no luck. Yet, one apparently "necessary" feature is that you can add an emoji or animated meme to your comments within a document. Really? And that is more important for business communications? I'm guessing this software is being created by a bunch of millennials. I don't begrudge millenials or the "fun" elements that are included, but give me the useful business functionality we have all become accustomed to over the past couple of decades if you truly want to compete for our word processing and spreadsheet needs.
December 12, 2017
Nikhita K.
Production Engineer
Internet, 5001-10,000 employees
March 25, 2019

“An amazing platform to track your ideas ”

OverallWe use quip to track our updates, design documents etc and it has proven to be a really powerful platform for the same.
Pros1. I love quip as its the only good version controlled platform for taking notes that I have found in my industry experience of over 5 years. 2. Its easy to create public/private versions. I could easily create documents that are public (i.e. outside the firm) and private to me. 3. It is so easy to mark your favorite folders and share it across teams. 4. Its fast. I have found Google Docs to be a bit slower than quip. 5. You could easily import the content into a wiki or a word document with all the formatting intact. 6. You can create an excel sheet (or multiple sheets) in quip itself. 7. Onboarding and gettting used to the platform is really easy.
Cons1. It behaves odd when creating tables and adding pictures (like indentation sometimes screws up). 2. If you are looking for a platform to create animated documents, quip might not be your friend. It supports basic data representation objects like tables, pictures, worksheets but if you want audio etc, you want to goto powerpoint.
March 25, 2019
Lisa B.
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
March 20, 2019

“Best docu-sharing tool for a team”

OverallI would highly recommend Quip to any team needing to collaborate on a lot of documents. It keeps us extremely organized, we love the workflow features, and communication tools. We have tried using Google Drive in the past and have STRUGGLED with the shotty navigation and lack of tagging/communication options. Quip is exponentially better than any other docu-sharing tool we've used!
ProsSimple user interface and easy to onboard my employees. Quip keeps us very organized and is great for tagging each other in comments and collaborating in single documents. They have a number of workflow features that we've used several times to help manage project timelines, etc. I also love that I can share links to documents so clients can pop in and review without having to be added as a full user. We've reached out to customer support several times, especially during the onboarding process, and they have always been extremely helpful.
ConsNotifications are a little overwhelming and difficult to manage. Very rarely we've had issues with pages not updating or saving, especially when there is a lot of text that has been copy/pasted.
March 20, 2019
Human Resources, 201-500 employees
June 1, 2019

“Good Wiki Alternative”

OverallI really like Quip. Having used Confluence and various Wikis, I think this is about as good as it gets. There's room for improvement for sure, but 90% of the time it does what I want and I'm able to communicate what I want to colleagues.
Pros- Good for documentation - It creates links to any part of the document for easy referencing - The WYSIWYG editor works pretty well - The keyboard shortcuts are good - Embedded spreadsheets are neat (though I don't find I use them that often) - Comment functionality really neat, including the ability to "resolve" comments. - Edit History works well
Cons- I really hate how embedded images work. It's bordering on impossible to make it look how you want and you'll have to compromise on it looking sort of crappy - The search could use some help - The auto numbered or unordered list stuff is annoying as hell and takes some finagling to get around. If you have a "1." then an image, if you type "2." it'll change it into "1." because it thinks you're starting a new numbered list because of the image. Really annoying. - When I look at the Recently Updated list and click "Mark All As Read" why don't all of them become unread? This annoys me more than it should, but why don't they all get makred Read?!
June 1, 2019
Neeraj H.
Data Analytics Professional
Management Consulting, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2018

“Powerful collaboration tool ”

OverallProductivity, Collaboration, Central repository.
ProsI use quip mainly to organize my work and collaborate with my team members in documenting feature requirements. Product feature requirements are dynamic - in that, they change often. The ability to have one central location from where all of us can access it makes this a huge time saver for all. It also prevents unnecessary emails as users can chat / comment directly on quip. It also has the ability to create private folders which I use to store work in progress ideas and the ability to restrict access to some files / folders to specific people.
ConsQuip requires the internet and often I forget that I have to be connected to save changes. Although it has the ability to add spreadsheets, I don't use it much. Also, have noticed when I copy paste code into code-blocks, the pasted content does not fit within the default page-width, but creates a horizontal scroll-bar within the code-block. It's a bit of an irritant to correct that every time.
April 24, 2018
Pharmaceuticals, 5001-10,000 employees
October 16, 2018

“Quip - a super nice collaboration tool”

OverallTo be simple, we really like this easy to use collaboration tool.
ProsSo easy to collaboration with colleagues, and for family. Get everything together rather than individual files everywhere. "Word", "Excel", "Powerpoint" lite versions, so easy to use, whatever you want. With google account integration. No hassle for account management. You certainly don't expect it to be super powerful, but it is good enough for our purpose.
ConsLogic of files arrangement a bit confusing. If you are coming from traditional file system. You may need sometime to get used to it. Moving files around is not that easy, especially if you want to manage multiple files at the same time. It used to be annoying that recent editing panel shows up every time you open the application. Recent updates fix this problem.
Jeffry T.
Contributing Writer
May 24, 2018

“Quip is my one app to create, organize, and collaborate in almost all kinds of documents.”

ProsIt's very easy to collaborate on a document. You just add people to it. All the changes are logged so you can see all the things that happen to your document. You can also create all kinds of documents on Quip, from the everyday text document and spreadsheet to the specific kanban board and project tracker (with a little help from Live apps).
ConsThe app lacks the ability to add tags - which will be very helpful to further organize the documents. It also doesn't hurt to add the font-customization feature so that users can set the look and feel of the working environment to their liking.
May 24, 2018
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
December 17, 2018

“Good for smaller groups.”

ProsI love how Quip allows you to create both shared and private documents. The language feature is really great (i.e. it is completely functional in Spanish). The folder system is really helpful and is easy to be organized, even with different groups. You can comment on the documents, tag people, and even comment on photos. All changes are tracked.
ConsOnce we got to be a much bigger group, it became less functional because you cannot directly access Google Suite with it. We needed to expand more, and Quip didn't allow for that.
December 17, 2018
Joby I.
May 10, 2018

“Great way to collaborate ”

ProsVery easy document creation that live updates to all users as you create them. No more messing around uploading and downloading documents. Documents have lots of options like spreadsheets tables charts, images and other apps that can be inserted into any doc. You can also manage folders and share them with specific groups of people, so you might have a folder for employees which has all your procedures on it and a separate knowledge base for customers. For free its hard to find a better product
ConsI would like to see the ability to copy documents between different quip accounts. I'd also like to see direct connections to excel of numbers, to give some more power to some of the features
May 10, 2018
Michael H.
Head Coach
Education Management, 1-10 employees
August 18, 2016

“Quit passing email and documents around!”

OverallI have a small staff who needs to work together at various times, and usually not in person. We've tried a handful of options (dreaded e-mail chains, Google drive, slack, OneNote, Trello), with varying degrees of success. But when you get right down to it, the majority of our conversations where revolving around documents. With Quip, that is exactly how this is designed. It is a live document centered experience with the ability to comment, discuss, and update to drive to agreed upon results. Other packages we would lose our chain of conversation, or a struggle to find the agenda, spreadsheet, plan. Here, these two elements tie together in one spot. End result for me? Instead of feeling like I was beating on people to keep moving, and often their secretary to help them find what I was talking about, now we work together with faster results and a whole lot less fuss and muss.
ProsVERY intuitive interface. My staff is resistant to change, and they picked up on this software immediately. Looks good on the web, great on my desktop, and awesome on my phone! Customer support is astounding. Hit the chat window and someone is there immediately.
ConsVery minor detail here - more of a feature enhancement request. It would be great to tie in some sort of task management, e.g. something with due dates that alert you.
Recommendations to other buyersTry it. Definitely something the more you use (give it two days), the more you appreciate it and how well it fits.
August 18, 2016
Sports, 11-50 employees
September 4, 2018

“Google Docs on Steroids”

OverallWe have rolled Quip out to multiple departments and teams over the past few years.
ProsContinuing improvement in the feature set. The software was good when we started using it 2.5 years ago. However, the improvements continually made month after month have really made the product shine. We really get use out of the full index/searching capability.
ConsA few basic things that would mimmic Excel functionality, like the ability to freeze columns on mobile, or hide rows/columns on both the desktop and mobile.
September 4, 2018
Desirae S.
Data Quality Professional
July 19, 2018

“Quip and Quip for Salesforce”

OverallQuip is a great addition for any company with its easy to use style of collaboration and flexibility in security and structure. I'd like to see a lot more training videos on how to leverage Quip for things like Project Management to plant those seeds and help companies grow and realize the full potential of this application.
ProsSalesforce recently added Quip to it's suite of products and we couldn't be happier. We have been searching for a project management application as well as a solution for sharing documents and data while not housing inside our Salesforce org, due to storage limitations. We see Quip as being that all in one application that can solve many of these needs in our organization. It is powerful, flexible, offers free and paid apps like a project management app and allows for flexibility with security of files and folders. Not to mention the live chat and collaboration features it offers. A great all around solution for anything you can't already solve in your standard Salesforce Org.
ConsI have requested several specific demos from our sales team so that we can more fully realize what Quip can do to meet some of our more basic needs. We've been given links to sales demos which don't address our specific needs. Once we get an idea on what we can do with it and how, it will drive more ideas and creativity for our team, we're just having a hard time getting started.
July 19, 2018
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
September 23, 2019

“Great Collaboration Tool - With Room to Improve”

OverallQuip is relatively new. So they keep adding new features. The spreadsheet feature could absolutely benefit from some Excel functionalities. The coding part could have auto-indentation, because it can get frustrating quickly.
ProsThe UI is very simple and navigable. I love that you can have a chat room, private and group chats. Tagging someone and for sending a notification (either in document or in chat) is a very fast tool for communication. I love the checklist and Kanban features for planning. There is an updates page that shows you all the updated documents.
ConsSometimes, my document doesn't get updated even though a collaborator has made a change. Then, I need to update the page. When reorganizing a folder, the UI gets updated each time you drag an item in the middle and other items get shifted. This process is slow.
September 23, 2019
Consumer Electronics, 10,001+ employees
August 29, 2019

“Review for Quip”

OverallI am enjoying this tool, and Quip has managed to stand out in this heavily competitive field of online collaboration.
ProsQuip UI is really smooth, and feels new! it has a good functionality to provide the revision history for the document, which I think is very useful. When multiple folks are simultaneously editing the same document, the revision history for each line provides a very nice view of who changed what. Additionally, Quip has a chat tool embedded in its UI. I use this often to communicate with other folks who are working on the same project.
ConsI dont have a strong dislike for any of the features, but perhaps one point was it takes significant time for a new guy to get to to speed with the tool and understand all the intricate details. Perhaps the on boarding proceed can be better
August 29, 2019
EBIN E.
Founder & CEO
Human Resources, 11-50 employees
April 4, 2019

“All in one platform to manage the entire documents and other tools in a single platform”

OverallWe have increased the productivity of our employees and thus our core goal of high productivity is achieved.
ProsWe really like Quip the way it is built as the platform itself acts as a source to maintiain all the tools like docs, chat etc. in this single app itself. Quip is the best way to manage all the different tabs under one window. The major hike is with the single window system where all the needed plugins are added and can be managed. Quip is the one and only platform to simplify the user burden of maintaining multiple apps and multiple windows.
ConsThe UI is very hard to understand at the first time and for newcomers.
April 4, 2019
Justin H.
Instructional Designer
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
May 5, 2019

“Best collaboration software i've used!”

ProsQuip makes it incredibly easy to collaborate with others on shared document writing. I work with a number of people who may not easily adopt new software, and Quip's simple and familiar interface allow them to begin working quickly and without fear. I lead teams of 15+ people working on the same projects, and can easily monitor progress and who is editing what!
ConsI have very few cons for Quip - most of which would be a desire to see more features, although this would likely come with the trade off that it would become more complex. No real complaints for me.
May 5, 2019
Ifeoma O.
Developer
1001-5000 employees
May 14, 2018

“Effective text editor.”

ProsQuip enable me collaborate on documents in real time with my colleagues.Unlike other document collaboration programs,I am able to chat in real time with my fellow collaborators about the document we are collaborating on.
ConsWhile I am able to edit documents by myself offline.To collaboratively edit documents,I have to be online and this requires a stable internet connection.
May 14, 2018
Istvan P.
May 22, 2018

“Ease of use, some missing features, bad upgrade on Mac”

Pros-Very easy to use even at the first time -0 delay at collaboration -nice mini apps for documents -good integration of comments with chat function
Cons-inconsistent user interface (document and tables) -no formating in the pop-up menu for tables -very bad upgrade utility on Mac (it tends to fall back to earlier version and stops sync - support gives no help to resolve)
May 22, 2018
Consumer Electronics, 10,001+ employees
September 10, 2018

“Quip review”

OverallIn my experience, I've really enjoyed using Quip to easily house documents and spreadsheets with a friendly and easy to use interface.
ProsQuip is a great tool to use for collaborative work. Often times, my team would have to share multiple versions of the same spreadsheet, but with Quip, you can see real-time updates from colleagues and communicate all within the app.
ConsWhile it is great for collaboration, the tool becomes glitchy when it contains a large amount of data. There have been instances of lost work due to inability to save changes. If you are working with large spreadsheets with multiple tabs, it could become too much for the tool to handle.
September 10, 2018
Yana O.
Healthcare Analyst
Market Research, 51-200 employees
February 22, 2017

“Fantastic for Small Project Management and Collaboration”

OverallQuip provides unique ability to create, edit and share highly customized documents/spreadsheets. Quip doesn't have a structure to follow for project management, so it requires a lot of upfront time commitment and development. However, after creating the needed documents and templates, it is the perfect tool. Specifically, great to use for mind-mapping, checklists, embedded spreadsheets/tracking.
ProsIntegrates with Google Drive, version control, file attachment, collaboration, custom templates, slack integration, flexibility, permissions control, great interface, easy to use
ConsNo internal task delegation/planning features, no report building
Recommendations to other buyersGive it a try, it is well worth the money and provides flexibility for a whole range of projects and tasks.
February 22, 2017
Alvaro V.
Operations
Online Media, 5001-10,000 employees
October 16, 2018

“I would like the old Quip back!”

ProsQuip does a great job at being a very easy-to-use app when it comes to having collaborative documents to share for work. I like how different team members can contribute and leave their input simultaneously with other coworkers.
ConsThe new UI makes things and tools hard to find. With an extremely clean look where the color white is so predominant, buttons are difficult to see and getting your work done may be more difficult.
Holly S.
Program Director
November 9, 2017

“Easy to use, simple, accessbile”

ProsI like the commenting and accessibility features. I also appreciate the organization of the software. It makes it easy to use and navigate.
ConsI feel like the app could use some updating to make it more mobile friendly. I also wish there could be more editing ability in Quip.
November 9, 2017
Patrick S.
Business Analyst
Insurance, 11-50 employees
October 31, 2016

“The best cloud based online collaborative writing tool”

OverallQuip is my team's go to utility for writing documents together. Google Docs is probably one of the most well known cloud based document editors that facilitates collaboration between team members. However, its collaborative elements always seemed tacked on. You can tell that Quip was built to be a team writing tool from the ground up.
ProsEase of use. It's "stupid easy" to invite people to collaborate on a document. Comments are a breeze. Paragraphs auto-lock when you are editing them to avoid confusion. You can track your team members usage.
ConsI wish that reviewing, version control, and security were stronger. The inclusion of approval processes and flows would be extremely welcome.
Recommendations to other buyersTry it out! It's so easy. This might not be the tool of choice for a large org with very detailed processes, but it is probably perfect for your team to get together (online) to write something.
October 31, 2016
Kelly C.
Learning Ops
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
February 27, 2019

“Very Customizable! ”

ProsI like how you can add a spreadsheet or a check list to a document. It's very customizable and the functionality to create it all is easy to use.
ConsCreating a spreadsheet into Quip is not the best. I feel like there is always a delay or a "lag" when editing or dragging cells. It's not the best option to use when creating a spreadsheet. Might stick to Excel for that part.
February 27, 2019
Raegan F.
December 28, 2017

“Nice but pricey. ”

ProsGroup chats and file sharing are a lifesaver. No one likes group texts, they're annoying and don't carry over well between mobile platforms. With Quip, we can share a group chat that isn't annoying. File sharing helps when people are out of the office. We're always on the go and being able to send things back and forth without it getting lost in email is wonderful. Getting everyone together for meetings is almost always impossible with our crazy schedules and we never manage to pass the info around to everyone. This way we can send it out to everyone and know it was received. The to-do list function helps keep me organized.
ConsThe price. At some point you start wondering is it really worth the price of every additional app and software you need. We have 20 something people, that adds up real quick. Much more cost effective for a smaller team.
December 28, 2017
Eric B.
Instructional Designer
Primary/Secondary Education, 501-1000 employees
November 22, 2017

“A refreshing way to collaborate and communicate in document creation”

OverallThe big takeaway is that Quip uniquely enables you and your colleagues to create a multi-asset document in one place, together.
ProsQuip enables users to build a rich, multimedia, and multi-asset document in one location. Do you need to create a document that includes a calendar, spreadsheet, and kanban board all in the same place? Quip can do that.
ConsWhile the interface has improved recently, it is still a little difficult to navigate from your document to the folder in which it is contained. Also, Quip could make better use of icons for identifying content types.
November 22, 2017
Jess R.
Marketing Strategist
March 13, 2017

“Unlimited Free Trial”

OverallUnlimited free trial and great for text-based collaboration
ProsQuip allows you to try their platform for free as long as you need, so you can really figure out whether or not it works for your team before you invest in the paid version. Compared to other products that have a time-limited free trial, Quip offers a much better evaluation period.
ConsThe ability to upload images and PDFs is limited at best. It's easier to upload a photo album on Facebook and share it with your team than it is to do the same thing in Quip. Great for text based documents, however.
March 13, 2017
Jessie B.
Website Marketing Specialist
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
June 4, 2019

“Frustrating and restrictive software”

OverallOverall, my experience is meh. I have to use it because my team does, but I wish I didn't have to. And enough so that I'd totally risk rocking the boat to get them to transfer to something better.
ProsNot a whole lot, but I suppose there are a couple of unique features, compared to document creators (i.e. Google Docs) or project/work management software (i.e. Trello) that are nice. Like, being able to insert a Kanban board inside a doc isn't something I've seen elsewhere. But really, these are all just small things that are kind of cool, but don't add to the overall usefulness of this software. Kind of nice that you can create a document and a spreadsheet in one place... but that's not all that unique to Quip.
ConsAt my last job, I used a combination of Google Docs and Asana to manage projects and LOVED it. Quip is frustrating because it's really clunky and restrictive. For example, I want to be able to assign cards in an Kanban board to other people, like you would in Asana or Trello. It lacks the collaborative project management features it needs to make it a successful project management tool. But it also sucks at being a document creator. It's definitely better as a document creator than a project management tool, but even then there are some essential features (i.e. editing and suggesting mode) that I had in Google Docs and were essential to my job as a writer/editor. I mean, what, you expect me to highlight a sentence and comment on it to suggest to another writer that she swaps out one word? That's a waste of time.
June 4, 2019
Consumer Services, 10,001+ employees
April 2, 2019

“Quip review”

OverallPretty great, it's very helpful and I use everyday at work because of his facility and is very quick to use.
ProsIt's amazing for work with other people, in teams, project, or even to do your own work and save it there, make schedules, organize with your people or even make to do lists.
ConsSometimes some features are lost because you don't find where to use those.
April 2, 2019
Debraliz G.
Director of Marketing
1001-5000 employees
January 11, 2019

“Quip for my Team”

OverallBut I think quip is still deserve a 4star review.
ProsOur team use quip software as our project management because we can interact in quip from real time and we can also send a documents using this software.
ConsIt is not totally easy to use, you need a knowledge using this before you make it work fine and I think it still lack of some features.
January 11, 2019
Mayo L.
Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 employees
December 13, 2018

“All in One Office Suite with Focus on Collaboration”

ProsQuip provides you to create many kinds of documents under one roof. Not only text document, but also everything else from spreadsheets to presentation slides, and more. It also supports collaboration with others.
ConsIt requires more than one step just to access your folders. It might be a design decision, but it's not a friendly one.
December 13, 2018
Andrew B.
Associate
February 6, 2018

“Great product for collaboration”

ProsIt is great how you are able to work on the same doc at the same time. I really appreciate the collaboration tools it offers
ConsThere are alerts that get generated every time a change is made - the only way to turn these alerts off is for each user to manually go in and do it themselves. They should have the alerts function at the document level
February 6, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 501-1000 employees
July 1, 2019

“Very useful product for documentation”

ProsI love that you can share documentation with friends easily. You can make any type of document in quip. The function that i like most is freezing column and rows.
ConsSometimes it is hard to undo your action for example by mistake if you delete anything in a doc, the normal undo command does not work.
July 1, 2019
May 4, 2018

“I built a custom reporting tool without being a programmer. ”

OverallI was up to produce a highly functional spreadsheet to use as a reporting tool for my upstream management.
ProsThe interface is clean and user-friendly. A novice can create a robust reporting tool for your internal use in less than a week.
ConsThe embedded spreadsheet application has many advanced features. The Quip spreadsheet has more bells and whistles than I could figure out in one sitting. Quip's tutorals and customer service staff guided and coached me through the rough spots.
May 4, 2018
Jenny M.
Freelance Content Writer
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
April 26, 2019

“Excellent tool to create and manage all your company documents”

OverallPowerful collaboration platform that helped the team manage documents, projects, and chat-all in one place.
ProsQuip is one of the few collaborative platforms where it's actually easy to use and also easy on the eyes. The UI needs no guesswork and creating a document and adding people to it is very intuitive. I like how you can create any type of document (including a kanban board) and every change made to it is made visible to all involved team members. It's also incredibly useful to have a team chat in the same place so we're not switching between apps when discussing the same document. My favorite feature by far has to be the ability to invite a client to check a document without having to add them as a full user. Although it's tied with the checklists and the nifty ability to work offline if you need to.
ConsIt's a tad pricier than most tools in this same vein. There is also some inconsistency in features between the web and desktop version.
April 26, 2019
Cole G.
Director Of Strategic Partnerships & Key Accounts
Business Supplies and Equipment, 51-200 employees
February 12, 2019

“Quip works great at first..”

OverallWe're still using Quip. But if you're not careful to make sure it's well organized, there can be communication problems.
ProsQuip is free/inexpensive. And it's easy to add people, so collaboration is a breeze.
ConsWhen too many projects are added to Quip, it gets quite confusing. Especially if you have different users with different access levels. Suddenly you have 3 folders with nearly identical content, and you never know which one to update.
February 12, 2019
Tom S.
July 11, 2016

“Best for collaboration and communication”

OverallUsing Quip for creating documents within the team, talk about it and use the chat instead of sending emails back and forth. This is such a time saver.
ProsEasy to use, nice UI, good feature set
ConsFile handling e.g. PDFs and other formats could be much better. Just import the files without changing them. If you important a PDF it should stay a PDF
July 11, 2016
Jessica R.
Marketing Strategist
11-50 employees
October 17, 2018

“Easy to Use, Features Somewhat Limited ”

OverallIt was honestly one of the better experiences I've had getting a team set up on a platform they'd never used. Seems good for the not-so-techie folks out there.
ProsSo. Easy. To. Use. Quip helped a remote team get organized, share and store marketing materials, research and other company data.
ConsWe ran into issues with some of the documents we wanted to create, because the formatting options in Quip are extremely spartan.
October 17, 2018
Jocelyn T.
Organizationl Consultant
Human Resources, 5001-10,000 employees
February 8, 2019

“Quip is in Tough Territory”

ProsGreat features that allow for collaboration and communication across documents.
ConsWhen the documents or content within a document becomes extensive, it isn't as easy to navigate to a specific piece of content. Especially if someone has named you in the document--no intuitive way to search document. I'm sure there is a way, but it isn't obvious, and that's my point of contention.
February 8, 2019
Internet, 51-200 employees
July 24, 2018

“Salesforce's perfect collaboration tool”

OverallIf you use Salesforce it is a no-brainer to get Quip. It makes acting on data from your Org quick and easy without having to flip between multiple applications or windows.
ProsWhat I enjoy most about this tool is the ability to pull information from Salesforce to help with planning. It allows me to create lovely collaborative documents with live information from Salesforce. This makes the project standup quick and easy.
ConsI have a very nitpicky con but as a daily excel user, I wish the spreadsheet functions had an easier to use interface. It feels hard to do easy things like changing the format of a column.
July 24, 2018
Martin S.
Support
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
March 29, 2018

“Quip can lead your team to victory”

ProsQuip is a program that contains a large number of functions. All the necessary information for work can be stored in the cloud of service, and all employees can find the necessary document themselves. With Quip you can communicate with employees in live chat, also you can create and edit documents together. I really like the role settings feature. Since we have many employees in our team, not all of them have full access to all documents in the cloud; I can easily set priorities and visibility of documents for different users.
ConsUnfortunately, when I open a document or read a large number of messages in a chat, the mobile application of the program runs slowly. In the rest, simply perfect service.
March 29, 2018
Jeff C.
November 7, 2017

“Great product, love the simplicity”

ProsSimplicity, easy to use. Export to PDF is a function we use a lot. Also a big fan of the various keyboard short cuts.
ConsCustomizing text and some docs. Would love a few additional templates...but no huge complaints that hinder our productivity.
November 7, 2017
Tom G.
Revenue Operations Analyst
December 13, 2016

“My go-to productivity app”

OverallA Beautiful and easy-to-use app that makes it easy to take notes, collaborate on documents, and keep all of my work in one place. Quip is indispensable to my day-to-day.
ProsBeautiful design. Incredibly easy to use. Love it all.
ConsNothing.
Recommendations to other buyersLooking forward to seeing how Salesforce integrates Quip into their platform!
December 13, 2016
leslie m.
business analyst
Law Enforcement, 501-1000 employees
May 8, 2019

“Why, Why and Why?”

OverallI am continuously asking 'why does it do that'? The UI does not behave as expected, it is inconsistent and much of what I produce is achieved through trial-and-error (admittedly, I have not had training in Quip, maybe a training course might help to explain some of my Whys). Examples: Selecting text bottom up produces a different result to selecting text from the top down. Only 1 comment per sentence, even though I can select parts of the sentence. Impossible to figure out what is going on with columns on a page. (Why is there a blue line that extends for 50% of the column?) Why is the folder name listed AFTER the page name? All other applications list a folder structure as Parent folder followed by Child content. And finally, why are the predefined formats so inappropriate and not customizable. Their website states "Quip's emphasis on simplicity and on enabling you to create documents that look beautiful and consistent on any device" Sorry to say that it fails. Bullet points and numbered lists that fill 25% of my column with (yet more) white-space are not beautiful. "
ProsShort learning curve. Easy to enter text and pictures. Keeps a history of changes. Organize content by folders. You can chat!
ConsVery few features. UI is missing standard functionality. So much wasted white-space. Difficult to navigate and organize because there is no folder structure view. Chat feature does not appear to be related to Quip. (If I want to chat in Quip, I want it to be about specific content, not about the weather or some other totally unrelated topic.)
May 8, 2019
July 26, 2018

“Quip is a great tool to create and edit documents online.”

Pros1. Ease of use. 2. Shared spreadsheets are incredibly functional and helpful. 3. Keyboard shortcuts are amazing. 4. Beautiful UI design and user friendly. 5. Import export functionalities are really good.
Cons1. No Task delegation features. 2. Sometimes a little slow. 3. No reporting feature. 4. A little less mobile friendly.
July 26, 2018
Ben B.
April 30, 2018

“Pretty rad way to manage documents across teams big and small”

OverallReal-time, flexible, and comprehensive document management. Quip is a great solution for remote teams and collaborators for all kinds of projects and workflows.
ProsQuip is a very slick real-time document management platform. For remote teams, it's a very capable way to coordinate and edit documents for a wide variety of use cases. I especially like the user management features for bringing in collaborators and other outside partners to work on particular documents. Not only that, but Quip is super flexible, and even integrates into various CRM platforms for even greater capabilities.
ConsQuip is great, but given the competitors out there, it's a little expensive. This is the one thing I would change about Quip.
April 30, 2018
Thiago Mayron S.
Coordinator and Teacher
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 employees
June 29, 2016

“Amazing app and tool!”

OverallJust one of the best tools to organize your work, share with co-workers and improve your creation and development.
ProsEasy understanding of the documents and possibilities. Amazing chat and share functions with comments in every document.
June 29, 2016
Karel k.
Helpdesk
Retail, 201-500 employees
April 17, 2018

“Quip”

ProsVery modern looking. Everything is where you'd expect it to be, and when used correctly, this software can greatly improve communication between departments and coworkers in your company.
ConsCustommer Support doesn't always respond right away, but when they do, they're basically always able to help you out
April 17, 2018
Design, 51-200 employees
October 16, 2018

“BEST toothbrush out there!”

ProsI love that they mail the new battery and brush head to me every 3 months, so easy to keep up with and make sure that I have a clean, functioning toothbrush.
ConsThe toothbrush head is sometimes hard to pull off, but not too bad. Once I figured it out it was pretty easy to do.