Boxcryptor Ratings

Overall

About Boxcryptor

Boxcryptor is a flexible and scalable encryption software for the cloud that helps companies in their GDPR compliance strategy. It offers collaboration, audit, and management features that allow teams to collaborate securely on files in the cloud. Define custom policies, manage users with SSO or Active Directory, and protect accounts with 2FA. Thanks to zero knowledge encryption, all company data is securely protected from third-party access. Learn more about Boxcryptor

Farming, 1-10 employees
November 23, 2018

“Free software for privacy-minded users who use the cloud”

OverallMy sensitive files are on the web and I am not too concerned about them remaining private. It would not be the case with Dropbox without Boxcryptor
ProsIt has a free version that encrypts locally your files and then syncs with a variety of cloud services. I use Dropbox and it works flawlessly, on Mac and Android. I am not a security specialist but they seem trustable based on the explanations on their site (I read there 3-4 years ago when I began to use the software). If you want to encrypt the names of your files or sync more than 2 devices, there is a fee.
ConsNothing for me. For paying users, I prefer software that is not subscription-based.
November 23, 2018
Rob O.
Therapist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 10, 2019

“Much Needed Cloud Security Solution”

OverallI am currently evaluating Boxcryptor to see if I would like to move up to the paid plan; the software looks really promising and I am thinking that it my trial continues to go well it will take care of cloud security and allow me to store more online - meaning that my business documents are available wherever I am (which is currently a headache as they're not!)
ProsI like the wide range of cloud providers that Boxcryptor works with; I have multiple free accounts with cloud providers, and this software covers them all. I like the fact that I can trial the software fully before purchasing.
ConsAt the moment I'm having difficulty with some longer file names and the product, though I must admit that I haven't fully read through the support forums and suspect that there may be a quick fix for this.
September 10, 2019
Alex R.
Sales Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
February 8, 2017

“Make Your Cloud Storage Service Encrypted”

OverallBoxcryptor is my only and first choice when it comes to file encryption on cloud storage services. This software is free, simple, easy to use and effortless too. It's installation is quick and set up takes a couple of minutes. What I really like is its "zero-knowledge provider" means it makes my file or folder impossible to decrypt if incase I forget the password. No reset password option is present so be sure to keep your password safe. Its true value for money.
ProsFiles are encrypted in virtual drive, Highly secure, Available in all platform windows, mac and chrome
ConsNo password reset option (which makes it impossible to hack)
Recommendations to other buyersAnyone who wants security to cloud storage services can go for it. It is an easy and automatic encryption for your files, be rest assure you only can access the file or folder.
February 8, 2017
Law Practice, 11-50 employees
October 6, 2018

“Encrypt your cloud”

OverallI have nothing but good experiences with Boxcryptor.
ProsEase of use, product functionality, and an absolutely essential product. I use in tandem with Onedrive. It makes files invisible to microsoft; worth every penny
ConsNothing I don't like about it. Boxcryptor is a stellar product.
October 6, 2018
Law Practice, 11-50 employees
April 14, 2019

“Love this software”

ProsIt makes encrypting cloud files soooooo easy. Just save the file into your cloud and boom! Within 30 seconds, the file/folder is encrypted so well that even the cloud provider can't see anything!
ConsIt's a little slow sometimes, but I don't mind.
April 14, 2019
Doug M.
Director Of Web Development
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
January 8, 2019

“Great addition to dropbox”

ProsI like how easy this is to use in conjunction with dropbox.
ConsYou have to pay to obscure the filenames.
January 8, 2019
Andrea S.
Optometrist/Owner
Medical Practice, 1-10 employees
November 12, 2017

“Very simple to use and integrates well with online storage”

OverallI feel my confidential files are safe if I have a device stolen or someone accesses my Dropbox files.
ProsThis is simple to use and flexible. I like that within the same folder (I use Dropbox mostly), you can encrypt some folders and not others. It is easy to unencrypt.
ConsThe free version allows you to use the software on two machines and for two online services. For more, you have to buy the paid version. I can't get the iPhone version to work.
November 12, 2017
Florian L.
Web Developer
Media Production, Self-employed
July 24, 2018

“Easy to use but comes with some major downsides”

ProsIt only takes a few minutes to install the software and start encrypting your files. After that, everything works very smoothly (on desktop) and you never have to worry about the security of your cloud storage again. The user experience is great, which is even more important in this case than it usually is. With encrypted files, you never want to get locked out by mistake, so it is vital that users feel safe with the process. Boxcryptor is a well-designed product in this regard.
ConsThe code is closed source and there are no security audits, so you have to put a lot of trust into the developers of this software. Apart from that, the Android app is a disaster. It is very slow, it keeps crashing and it doesn't work as expected. Being able to automatically encrypt and upload your camera roll in the background sound like a fantastic feature, but a lot of the time it just doesn't work.
July 24, 2018
Kazi S.
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
February 5, 2017

“Give Your Cloud Files An Extra Layer Of Encryption With A Boxcryptor Folder”

OverallIt is good to keep files safe while dealing with online cloud services. For the same I like Boxcryptor. It provides an extra layer of encryption to my cloud service. I use it with Skydrive and Dropbox which works very fine without any issue. It creates a folder on my cloud account and encrypts everything inside it. On top of that, I can assign a password to my Boxcryptor folder, which will keep files in it safe even if my account get hacked. I love this software and its great.
ProsTwo step encryption, Easy to use, Simple and clear user interface.
ConsNo Cons
Recommendations to other buyersI personally feel this is the best new way to keep photos, videos and other online files private and secure.
February 5, 2017
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
September 27, 2018

“One of the most important application”

OverallI use it to keep sensitive files secured in google drive.
ProsI like how it is easy to use this application. You just set a pin on it so when you need to access files you enter short pin (or full password if you want) and then it shows your files decrypted and you can work with them while everything stays encrypted in the cloud.
ConsIn my case it solves all my problems. I couldn't find any specific issues.
September 27, 2018
Research, Self-employed
August 10, 2018

“excellent encryption tool for cloud data”

ProsIt's very easy to use in Window, makes me feel safe about personal data in the cloud
ConsNeeds a better integration with Ubuntu operating system
August 10, 2018
Arie B.
February 12, 2017

“Much Recommended”

OverallI was looking for a file sharing solution and came across this on google. This one is really worth a shot
February 12, 2017