Sunrise - Formerly Billy Ratings

Overall
4.4/5

About Sunrise - Formerly Billy

Sunrise is an accounting app for small businesses. Invoice clients, get paid for work and track business expenses. The platform was designed by freelancers for freelancers. Learn more about Sunrise - Formerly Billy

March 19, 2019

“Billy vs Freshbooks”

OverallOverall, I am using Billy because of the lifetime deal I have for it. It provides a substantial savings over the monthly cost for Freshbooks. However, without the features, workflow, and integrations that I have come to rely on for my business, I make up for the cost with my time (or a less efficient business). For the cost, I can't complain and even then, Billy really is a nice piece of software for managing quotes, invoicing, and payments.
ProsI purchased a lifetime deal of Billy through AppSumo, which is really the only reason I am using it. Admittedly, my experience with Billy is colored by me being a longtime user of Freshbooks (which I was very happy with!), so perhaps I had a set of expectations coming into Billy. That being said, Billy is a nice software that gets the job done. They've recently implemented Paypal payments, which I couldn't believe was missing, but so glad it's here, as I have many clients who prefer to pay that way. It shows that they listen to feedback and are actively working on their roadmap. Another plus I appreciate is that you can collect signatures for quote approvals, which is nice.
ConsHowever, the two pros mentioned above, Paypal and the quotes functionality, have a flip side. The downside to Paypal is that I can't offer the option on an invoice for clients to pay via Paypal or credit card, I can only offer one or the other -- which completely defeats the purpose! Ideally, I would offer clients as many options as possible, since I don't know in advance which way they would prefer to pay. So, in order to continue to offer payment via Stripe, I can't use the (much anticipated!) Paypal feature. For quotes, it's not immediately apparent in the UI when a quote has been accepted (you have to navigate to each one individually and open it, and even then, it's not glaringly obvious). When you have multiple open quotes, this is a waste of time to continually be checking in this way. There is an option to be notified via email when a quote is accepted, but for a while this wasn't working. I ended up missing a few quote acceptances. I have also run into some weird glitches when setting up payment options. Customer support was pretty slow to respond via email, and I had to follow up multiple times to get any sort of closure on my issue. The biggest con for me (and this is only because I am used to Freshbooks) is that there is no integrated timekeeping feature. I had to search high and low to find a cost-effective solution to track time against projects.
March 19, 2019
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
November 16, 2018

“Limited features, but excellent for those features”

OverallPrior to using Billy, I was using Freshbooks. Their prices skyrocketed recently, with no real improvement in features or other details which warranted the price hike. That's the reason I came to Billy, but then I was happy to see that something else was the happy result -- I get paid faster. Freshbooks invoices and the system for logging in, paying, viewing, printing, etc., must have been tedious for my clients, because the same clients getting Billy invoices, click and pay MUCH more rapidly, with FEW hiccups in the process. Simply put, with the same business, and the same clients, I get paid more often, more quickly, and with less administrative time. That's a huge win.
ProsThe ease of use, the simplicity of getting started, the clean and minimal look of the invoice templates.
ConsThere are not many bells and whistles, and that's what makes this program so simple and easy to use, but this also means some very useful features are absent -- features which are NOT complicated and should be the norm. For instance, there are two (2) features which are not overly complicated, and yet, would be very useful, if we had them: 1) Let us hyperlink a term, with a URL. I am invoicing for content, and need to reference a URL where this content can be reviewed. I must cut and paste the URL as plain text, and cannot hyperlink it to the URL. This is tedious and looks amaturish. 2) Let us have a text / narrative / summary field at the BOTTOM of the invoice, instead of the top. There is a "message box" at the top of the invoice template, which positions itself immediately under the client's address. This is great for a simple greeting or other short message, but what we really need is this same feature at the bottom of the invoice, also, as a summary, or to include a narrative of some kind that gives a bit more detail on the invoice charges, or confirms a special arrangement or a message between me and my client, which may be too long to put at the top, where it gets in the way of the most important information -- the invoice details / charges.
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
November 27, 2017

“Fantastic. The competitors can't keep up.”

ProsThe best thing about Billy is the ease of use. Now usually ease of use means "it doesn't do much." WRONG, this is a powerful bookkeeping program. I recommend it to all my clients. You could invest more in other programs, spend time trying to figure them out, set it up wrong, pay a consultant and then only use a small portion of it, but with Billy you can do it all. (If you want they have a list of accountants and bookkeepers who use Billy and can help - but you won't need their help.) The other big PRO is that this software is rapidly and constantly improving. Additionally, they have a community of users who are very active in helping one another. This community also provides suggestions on how the software can improve and Billy listens. Go ask for improvements with any competing accounting software packages and you'll find you're wasting your time. Billy listens and then acts. Bottom Line: If you are an entrepreneur you don't want to waste time or money get Billy. You don't want your employees to waste time or money get Billy. If you want to keep track of your money get Billy. If you have time or money to waste get some other program and THEN when that doesn't work like you wanted it to get Billy.
ConsThe one thing that I like least about Billy is that they don't connect with every bank. Granted, I use a small regional bank, but it is my bank and I get special treatment at my bank. I'm not going to give up Billy just because it doesn't (yet) interact with my bank.

By Lendio on September 12, 2018
We just updated our banks to include thousand more. Please try again to see if your bank is now supported.
Trevor B.
Proprietor
April 24, 2018

“For someone who struggles to keep the books, Billy became my new best friend overnight.”

OverallJoy beyond belief, My accounting and bookkeeping skills were causing me a nightmare, now, I actually sleep better knowing I'm on track, the product is awesome.
ProsThe Income and expense overview - I always know where my money is and isn't, Creating Invoices is almost too easy, just enter the details, generate a PDF (with your company logo on), and email to the customer, done and dusted. Bills, scan, upload, everything in date order, I always know whatI've had to pay out, and to which customer to deliver their final invoice. Top customers and Top vendors, AWESOME feature, s much information from these two tools can be streamlined, who is happiest with what I do, who do I need to check in with so I don't lose a client, cost per vendor, find a cheaper better way to save money, yet maintain the same level of service I've personally come to expect, always streamlining :) Seriously, this is the greatest app in my arsenal, don't believe me, TRY IT FOR YOURSELVES, Billy really does deserve a 10 star rating.
ConsThere are two things (one I know is happening), and one that would just be a cherry on the cake. The first is currently no way to link UK bank accounts, although I've been told that will appear hopefully Q2 this year, the only other feature I feel is needed, is a personal diary/journal & a personal calendar. I do a lot of meetings, it would be great to integrate new clients and their idea's from the initial meeting as part of the historical process and the calendar because it's always a useful tool to share information with to whoever is working with you. There the only things that for me would make Billy the ultimate app for anyone.

By Lendio on September 12, 2018
Hi Trevor, We just updated our bank technology and will likely support your UK bank. Please try to connect it again. -Billy
April 24, 2018
September 12, 2019

“Intuitive, easy to set up and use!”

OverallI have yet to truly tap into the Sunrise features for my own business, but love the invoicing features, and am looking forward to converting everything over soon.
ProsSunrise offers even better features and functionality for my small business than QuickBooks online, and for a fraction of the cost!
ConsMy accountant is not interested in learning to use Sunrise. She is a Quickbooks expert, so I still have to keep my bookkeeping there and currently only use the invoicing features in Sunrise. I would really like to switch, however.
September 12, 2019
Art R.
Business Growth and Smart Marketing Coach Mastermind Mentor
Publishing, 1-10 employees
November 24, 2018

“Easy to use Accounting Foundation, Impressive Road Map”

OverallBilly is a small business accounting lifesaver. I love how Billy saves me time in day-to-day operations and keeps me compliant with my books. My accountant even loves Billy (and she used to recommend that "books" software). Thank you Billy!
ProsFor the first time in 20+ years accounting is not a frustrating and overly expensive task. Billy has provided my companies a easy to use and nearly complete solution that does not cost a fortune or hold me hostage. Using Billy has saved me countless hours each month for the past 18 months. It's streamlined and logical workflows, dead simple invoicing, and reasonable fees make Billy a real winner for small business.
ConsThe only gotcha with Billy is their integration with PayPal accounts is not as clean as it could be. The company is on the right track and should have this issue resolved shortly. The support team at Billy has been fantastically helpful and understanding. They not only know accounting, they know how to help people.
November 24, 2018
Andres V.
Entrepreneur
November 16, 2018

“Great tool but needs some improvement ”

OverallI definitely like the tool, but it needs some improvements in terms of giving more control over the numbers to the users. Delete, void, etc.
ProsI loved it once they connected the banks integration. This makes it very easy to do a reconciliation with your bank. The interface is great, and the reporting works good too.
ConsIt should be more customizable and we should be able to remove "unreconciled entries". Currently the only way to remove those is by uploading a .csv file which make is very time consuming to get everything up to date. Also we should be able to break a payment into different customers. For instance, I import payments from Stripe, but I have to attribute all the payments to the same person because of Billy limitations.
Leonardo W.
July 16, 2019

“Easy to use Bookkeeping tool”

ProsThis tool was previously called Billy, but since Lendio bought it they changed the name to Sunrise. Not just the name changed, customer support improved a lot and the tool have more options. It's worth nothing that this tool will only working for people that are US-based. The double entry booking is the same used by Quickbooks and software like it. It's possible to attach receipts, invoice customers and charge them using Stripe, Square, PayPal and other payment gateways. It's a very powerful app, yet, simple
ConsIt would be nice to see recurring payments, a set and forget to charge customers that are on subscriptions. Support told me they will add it soon!
July 16, 2019
Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees
May 27, 2019

“I really like it but,,”

ProsOne of the most wonderful intuitive accounting software in the world, very good and great features especially for tracking invoices and payments. However, they suddenly stopped supporting the worldwide customer and just accept the north Ameria countries, even they asked their current customers from the other countries to stop their subscription and to move to another company!!
ConsThey have an App for registering the expenses from bill and invoices directly from your phone, very useful especially when using the camera from the App to confirm the bills.
May 27, 2019
Carolyn B.
Freelance Writer and Content Manager
May 5, 2018

“An accounting tool with a lot of potential”

ProsFirst and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool. I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping. I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier. I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important. Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.
ConsI really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool. I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.
May 5, 2018
Ed F.
Sole Proprietor
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
October 4, 2017

“A simple solution that inexpensively provides all the functionality of the big guys”

OverallI really like the electronic invoice transmittal - it adds a lot of validity to my company, as does the ability to pay electronically.
ProsBilly is very easy to use, with lots of tutorials to help you set it up correctly, the first time. As a cloud-based solution, it can be accessed from anywhere, on any platform. It has all the functionality needed in an accounting platform, at a very inexpensive price. The team is constantly developing/tweaking areas within the application, providing even more functionality while making it even easier to use.
October 4, 2017
Sunny T.
February 21, 2019

“Easy to use, but unsure of it's future”

OverallOverall, I have enjoyed using Billy, especially when I was just starting my business. I have been trying out all the major competitors lately, and was surprised that most miss some of the multi-currency features Billy has (other than the exchange rate issue). I would consider continuing to use Billy, but I am concerned about its future development. It feels more like a 1-2 man show that is just trying to keep its head above water, as opposed to software that is going to get better over time.
Pros- Quick, easy to use interface - Really easy to match imported transactions, even with foreign currencies - Easily account for transfer fees, unlike other accounting software - Handles multi-currency well, other than one fairly significant thing (see con list)
Cons- exchange rate for foreign currency transactions is based on date of input, not date of transaction (this can be a big deal when reporting your taxes. Definitely let your accountant know) - having issues with a certain bank feed - can only have one live Paypal feed, meaning you can't associate different Paypal currencies with different accounts
February 21, 2019
Nate R.
Director Of Operations
September 17, 2018

“Simple Invoicing”

Overall5/10. It works, it's simple, but it doesn't give me all the option and tools that I would like when it comes to integrating and designing invoices. They just don't match up with the design scheme of my company and because of that, we have switched services, although it should be said, it's been a lot higher of a learning curve with more the complex platforms we've switched to.
ProsA basic, fairly easy to use platform for creating and managing invoices. It's utility is fine, it does allow my clients to pay us through their invoices. It's because of this, that I give it a mediocre rating. However, I think there is room for improvement.
ConsThis app lacks the design and integration capabilities of its competitors and they seem to have been experiencing some growing pains lately. The templates are basic and allow for minimal changes in font, some color, and logo changes; that is about it though. Our company uses sales decks to issue quotes for projects and it would be great if I could integrate billy invoices into that, however design compatibility aside, billy invoices can only be structured vertically, not horizontally, which is how our deck are orientated. We've also experienced some glitches in notifications and connections to stripe, which is the processor they use.

By Lendio on September 21, 2018
Hi Nate, Thanks for your honest review. You are right that we are simpler than some of our competitors (though not any less powerful!). This is how we keep our costs low and our prices low for new entrepreneurs. It also helps small businesses who don't have accountants keep their books organized on a budget. I am sorry that our invoice designs didn't work out for you. It sounds like you have a design focused business and I can understand the need to have even more control over how your invoices look. Our invoice templates are clean and elegant and very customizable for most small businesses with levers for font type, color and style as well as logo placement and even background colors. Thanks again for giving us a try and best of luck with your business! -The Billy Team
September 17, 2018
Johnathan M.
April 27, 2017

“Simple, But Powerful”

OverallI'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months. I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware. PROS: - Ridiculously easy to use. - The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use. - Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue) - Recurring invoices - Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address - AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly. CONS: - Some features are lacking While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below: - There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization. - It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions. - There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them. - There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.
April 27, 2017
March 13, 2019

“Super simple quoting and invoicing”

ProsI've used a few different billing software platforms, and I actually quite like Billy. At first I thought it was a little bit too basic, but I soon realized that I don't need it to do anything complicated, and the simplicity is actually a nice change. I bought a lifetime deal on the software when it first came out, I don't think that's still available, but I like the fact that there is no monthly fee (at least for me).
ConsThere are a couple of things that I don't like much. The first is that I'd like to be able to present my invoice and bills on my own domain, instead of a having a customer click on billyapp.com. The second is that I'm unsure of the delivery rate for invoices and quotes that are emailed from the Billy platform. I've had a number of clients say they never got a quote or invoice from me, so I usually download a copy and send directly from my own email. It could just be user error, so take that with a grain of salt.
March 13, 2019
Ben B.
Chief Marketing Technology Officer
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
November 16, 2018

“SMB & Freelancers, BILLY TO THE RESCUE!”

OverallSo far, I'm satisfied. They do the hard work at keeping track of business revenue p&l and also tracking receipts via their mobile app. Just scan and upload to their website. I personally love this app and think it will help me grow my company to the next level. Your Bookkeeper will love it too, as it has easy exports for your business data & taxes.
ProsThe ease of use and it's integration with Stripe. Easily setup your products or services, and create recurring invoices to your clients. They make payment easy too!
ConsStripe fees, but that's not their fault. Would like to see a PayPal integration since it's just as easy as a Stripe integration.
James E.
Marketing Director
September 11, 2018

“An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs”

OverallI have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.
ProsWhat I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.
ConsWhat I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

By Lendio on September 12, 2018
Hi James, You can actually have one account with multiple organizations. With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs. Please contact our support to help you set that up.
September 11, 2018
Matthew R.
June 14, 2017

“Customer service was terrible. Very frustrating. Tried hard to make it work for several days ”

ProsLooks pretty. Wish I could have used it. Looks amazing from the surface. Customer support was terrible.
ConsI don't know WHEN I have more frustrated with a companies 'service'. VERY frustrated. I was excited about this deal and jumped right on it. I tried syncing with my Cap One Spark business account (from my phone) and it didn't work so I emailed asking if this really wasn't an option. I got a list of 9501 banks emailed to me NOT in alphabetical order. What am I supposed to do with that? I tried the chat option and explained when I added my cap one account it pulled in my PERSONAL banking details and not my business accounts which made no sense. They told me to talk to cap one, which I did. Then I tried adding my business account info again and it kept reverting back to my previously synched personal accounts. Frustrating. So I went ahead and added my personal bill account and then deleting it and hoping that would work. Nope. I tried calling over and over and it was always busy. They take forever to respond on chat and were not helpful at all. I finally got ahold of them and they said they dont have phone support. Free support Email: support@billyapp.com Phone: (800) 241-7365 Help center: www.billyapp.com/support That's right on the dashboard when new users sign in. I get ahold of them via chat and Joshua suggesting 'bombing' the account and starting over which I did. He said 24 hours later I could try again and hopefully it would work that time. Even though nobody did anything to help it work the next time but maybe so. Here we are over 24 hours later and, of course, it pulls up my personal (not business) info. I give up. Incredibly frustrated by the terrible response, being sent a list of 10k sites to dig through, being given a number they DON'T answer, having chat and not being very available.
June 14, 2017
Gary O.
Growth Marketer
April 5, 2018

“Has excellent potential but still has some way to go!”

OverallIt makes complex accounting simple.
ProsBilly provides a simple solution for accounting that is specifically designed for freelancers and agencies. It has a great user interface and is very easy to use. It is solid and I have never had a problem with.
ConsThe fact that key features have taken so long to evolve. I am talking about no PayPal integration and the fact that bank syncing has only just arrived in my country. The most annoying thing is that whilst key features are lagging behind the team are investing users money in having season Billy logos designed, which quite frankly is ridiculous. Their community management needs work as well.

Hi Gary, You didn't like our pumpkin head Billy face :(
April 5, 2018
Angelos S.
Accountant
Accounting, 1-10 employees
June 10, 2017

“I have "install" Billy to my clients. No worries from then!”

OverallLoyalty from my clients, Easy access to help and advice them for they everyday matters. Clean data with easy exports for further analysis.
ProsSimplicity, clean interface and free customizing of Chart of accounts. Lot options for exporting in xls format (i love excel).
ConsIt have some minor things about local settings and shortcuts but it minor things! Thanks to friendly support i don't worry.
June 10, 2017
Internet, Self-employed

“Accounting for Non-Accountants”

OverallThis helps me be more efficient and keep track of my accounts a bit better. I am still not utilizing all the features correctly or to their fullest but have hopes to get there. The key thing for me was being able to get up and going quickly and if not using all the features to at least have them more complex and dual entry accounting options available
ProsI bought Billy because I needed an affordable, easy to use system for my Freelance business. This was easy enough for me to set up, includes room for me to grow with it's extended features and is something I can hand over to an accountant when I am ready. I love that I can collect payment from the invoice and take many forms of payment
ConsI just an not a numbers accounting person and really dislike this stuff so I procrastinated on set up items that will help me and iddn't utilize help docs as much as I shoulda
November 20, 2018

“Better than quickbooks, but still not the best”

OverallI've used quickbooks, freshbooks, xero. Billyapp does fill in the gap, but some extra features (mentioned in the cons) will make it #1
ProsSimple and fully functional accounting & billing system that has multi-currency invoicing
ConsDoesn't have recurring expenses, unable to generate customer statements, unable to apply a discount % or amount in an invoice. Website is not mobile responsive. app name "billyapp" sounds 'Naff', when i tell clients to check their email for our invoicing system sent from "billapp"... Could I use my own custom domain or you use another domain to send emails?

By Lendio on November 23, 2018
You are able to create customer statements and apply discounts to invoices. Please contact our support for help.
Jan B.
Wordsmith * Book designer * Web manager
November 16, 2018

“Easy to use and reliable”

OverallI'm a solo freelancer who does all my own billing. I'm happy to have such a simple solution because it saves me time and headaches.
ProsI've been using Billy for more than a year now. It's very easy to use and reliable. It meshes seamlessly with Stripe (and other payment processors, but I don't use them). When I've had occasion to contact customer service (once or twice), they've been quick to answer my question. Note: There are online accounting features to the software that I don't use, because I prefer to use my own spreadsheets. Nothing against Billy, but I choose not to use them.
ConsI'm really reaching here, but it can be difficult to find where to go to change the wording of their default emails. I've had to drop a note in the customer service chat to be reminded how to do that. And the answer came back quickly.
Edward C.
Design & Production Officer
Higher Education, Unspecified
July 3, 2018

“Billing Clients made Simple and Easy”

OverallI just love Billy. The name is great. The interface design is great. And it is easy to generate and track invoices.
ProsBilly has such a memorable name yes, it is for billing. I love the ease of creating invoices and Billy does the hard job of accounting and tracking. Plus,
ConsNew features are rolling out too slow. Perhaps, I live in a place where there is no sale tax. However, the invoices created by Billy must include a lot stating Tax = 0 dollar in the past which just was got rid of lately.
July 3, 2018
Jonathon R.
Retail, Unspecified
August 25, 2016

“Extremely simple and great to use”

OverallSetting up and getting started was super easy. We use this software for a retail store selling appliances, so lower volume of transactions a day makes it super easy and to track customer purchases.
ProsSimple to use and easy to get started. Great simple accounting interface with all your necessary reporting
ConsNo inventory management if you need it. Would like to see a PO module in the software in the future

By Lendio on September 12, 2018
Hi Jonathon, You can create a PO module by renaming Estimates to PO in the template. Contact our support to learn how. -Billy
August 25, 2016
July 30, 2019

“Too Simple to Use”

Prosthe cost of the program is very cheap which is good to keep track of where money is, creating invoices, uploading bills, and generating PDF's to send to customers. The interface is very great as well and allows you to reconcile with your banks in a pretty easy fashion
ConsThere really isn't that much to this program aside from basic accounting practices and reconciling. Sometimes the imports, especially when trying to upload a file can result in errors. Setting something up such has recurring payment reminders, I think would make this app a lot more efficient.
July 30, 2019
Nick E.
Screen Printer/Business Owner
Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees
November 16, 2018

“Awesome Invoicing Made Easy”

OverallWe use Billy for invoicing, quotes/estimates, as well as keeping up with our business expenses. Our customers have given us great feedback, especially being able to pay online through the invoices we send. Our money processes in a reasonable time as well. Overall, the presentation is outstanding. Very clean and easy on the eyes, not to mention easy to use as well. Can't say enough good things. Also, we had one slight hiccup, only once, where we couldn't get an invoice to send through email. Customer service/tech handled this quickly and we have had no issues since!
ProsSuper easy to use Great presentation Affordable Great customer service Nice features
ConsHonestly I'm very pleased overall with everything.
Tim B.
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
August 26, 2016

“Billy runs our small business”

OverallMy wife is an independent hair stylist, basically she rents a chair. We have been using Billy for our book keeping since we started it in mid 2015. It is everything we need, and for being free you absolutely cannot beat it.
ProsSimple interface, exceptional customer service (considering it is free), and I can access it from any device I want.
ConsNot much to dislike so far. It is a fairly basic program, so if we had a larger or more complicated business, I could see it maybe not being as useful.
August 26, 2016
Daniela U.
Freelance Writer
February 12, 2019

“Intuitive, easy to use accounting software for your small business”

OverallI use Billy for sending invoices to my freelance writing clients. It's an easy to use platform and meets all of my invoicing needs. It also allows you to bill with credit cards and Paypal, which my clients love.
ProsBilly is my go-to program for creating invoices for my clients in my freelance writing business. It's easy to create a template, add products, and even send recurring invoices. You can also accept credit card and Paypal payments right from your invoices.
ConsThe email that is autogenerated by the software needs improvement. The subject line it creates is the invoice number, which isn't very meaningful to the customer. It also addresses the email to the name of the business instead of the name of the contact. I have to go in and change it every time I send an email.
February 12, 2019
Ladislav Z.
November 16, 2018

“Great cloud based accounting g and invoicing solution”

OverallUsing BillyApp for over a year now and we are very satisfied so far with its performance. There have been few issues here and there but sorted by fast support.
ProsEase of use of available features; accounting section is pretty good too and certainly creating expenses based on uploaded receipts is a plus.
ConsNeeds number of features: customer statements, better VAT handling for Irish annual Trading details return
April 2, 2019

“Great starter accounting software ”

OverallBilly has given me an easy and understandable way to start tracking my expenses and invoicing my clients. Other software was more expensive and did a lot but wasn't a good fit for a one-man shop or a microbusiness with less than 10 employees.
ProsBilly is quick and easy to set up and start invoicing and tracking expenses. Syncs with your bank account (if supported), so it will auto-track your purchases. You can also send invoices and quotes for your services. The software is easy to navigate. Everything is navigated through a side bar and you have a lot of room in the design to find what you need.
ConsIt is a bit limited in invoicing. You can send automatic invoices but they still have to be paid by the client. No automatic billing. Also with invoicing, there are multiple payment methods, but you can only choose one per invoice. For example you can either accept a PayPal payment or credit cards, but not offer both payment options on the same invoice.
April 2, 2019
Sandhya L.
Founder and CEO
Cosmetics, Self-employed

“Great for a startup”

OverallGood, but would only use for the beginning year or two of a startup. Definitely not for advanced features or book keeping.
ProsThe Billy software is very easy to use, pretty trivial.
ConsBilly lacks a lot of features as the company grows and advances, also does not have an actual app that you can use from mobile device. It is very limited in its use to receipt captures only.
Debbie O.
Owner and Blogger
November 4, 2018

“Basic but just what I need”

OverallI amsaving money compared to my previouse accounting package, but this is much more simple and streamlined.
ProsI find the software very simple and basic. It does exactly what I need it to, with no complications or awkward stuff. That being said i am an accountant and I know what I'm doing - might be a little bit too basic for a total beginner....
ConsBilly is still very much in start up phase, and not everything works exactly as I would want yet, although I think they are heading in the right direction. Over the last six weeks or so I finally managed to connect my bank account nd transfer transactions automatically - once I manage to connect my Paypal account too I will be in heaven
November 4, 2018
Jeremy E.
President/ Founder
September 19, 2017

“I have been using Billy for about 2 weeks and I love it! ”

OverallThis software was used for invoicing our clients and managing expenses. We are transitioning (slowly but surely) to only using this for all our invoicing needs.
ProsI like how you can setup accounts for your employees to log in to send invoices, This software allows you to setup recurring monthly invoicing (which is awesome). You can upload your receipts and keep track of expenses all in the same app.
ConsThe invoicing can be a bit of a hassle until you get all the items input into the system. But, it does work great. I can't update my banking information yet. I contacted support and they are aware of the issue with my bank, and they are getting it fixed and said in October it should be up and running. This is a new company and I do love the platform so I don't mind. I think this was a great investment for my business.
September 19, 2017
Kelly S.
Co-owner
November 27, 2018

“Helpful system”

OverallVery helpful and nice customer service
ProsBrings my clients and work together in one accounting program.
Constakes a bit to learn unless you know accounting software. For someone who uses pen and paper, changing over was a little slower than I would expect.
November 27, 2018
Joey B.
Executive Director

“Billy Rocks!”

OverallWell done, great job on the app! Keep up with the good work!
ProsBilly really makes your accounting easy! I recommend it to all of my friends, as I hate accounting and this software makes it a breeze.
ConsNothing is bothering me so far, and it keeps on improving.
Darryl D.
Chief Executive Officer
October 30, 2018

“I can track my own finances”

OverallI was intimidated by leaving the spreadsheet and shoebox method of accounting. With very little time and some help from support, I was tracking my income and expenses, categorizing transactions in a way that makes my accountant happy, and invoicing my clients from one integrated platform. I use it daily and recommend it to friends.
ProsSimple learning curve, easy invoicing, white label branding
Consgrowing pains of a young software but their support is good at keeping me updated on things
October 30, 2018
September 7, 2018

“Accounting tool for non accountants”

OverallGreat experience. Especially after trying other similar products which are not as intuitive.
ProsThe UX is made for non accountants which is great. You intuitively understand where to click and how to do the different processes and the customer support is fantastic.
ConsThe accountants don't like it. This is a con in a world where the accountants often decide what software to use in their domain. The problem is apparently that some of the features are built in a way where you can mingle around with the accounting so the balance in accounting terms does not fit. Would recommend the product for smaller companies, but once you grow bigger it is harder to use.
September 7, 2018
Leonardo P.
July 11, 2017

“Accounting is boring... not with Billy”

OverallMade my life way easier when doing business in multiple Countries. Accounting is a serious thing, and Billy is used by many companies.
ProsOk, I got this software to help our company with our accounting. We have clients in multiple countries and with different currencies, so Billy is super easy to use and if you need the support is fast. Billy is also a double entry software, which means its fully compliant with the rules of accountant. I know, accounting is boring, but at least with Billy can be easy.
ConsOne thing that bothers me is the lack of recurrent charges. They do have recurrent invoices capabilities, but the recurrent charges would be an awesome add-on. They said they will add it, if they really do, the software will have ALL an entrepreneur needs to keep things by the book:)
July 11, 2017
Ankit S.
Accountant
Utilities, Self-employed
May 1, 2017

“Superb accounting software ”

ProsCredit and debit and expense on 1st page and balance sheet too and manage like you and mail invoice
May 1, 2017
Laura C.
Director & Marketing Consultant
November 16, 2018

“Billy has revolutionised my business”

OverallI love Billy, and every update bring great new functions - keep it up!
ProsBilly's recurring invoice function, estimates and quotes are integral to my business
ConsIt took many months for my bank to sync, and this function still seems clunky to me.
Arpad S.
Brand Designer | UI, UX & Visual Designer
Design, Self-employed
November 16, 2018

“Fast and friendly bookkeeping”

OverallMy experience is still good, I like using Billy. As the time of writing this review Billy is my current invoicing software. I like how fast it is, It just lacks some advanced customization features. Even though the needed features are on their roadmap for more than a year now...
ProsThe interface is very clean and fast, issuing and invoice is very easy. You can create quotes too and send directly to your clients.
ConsStill in early stages, but it's heading in the right direction. I find the lack of translations limiting. For example you can not issue an invoice in other languages than English.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
October 23, 2018

“High Expectation ... NOT MET!”

OverallOverall, I have a mixed experience. I like how easy to use Billy, but it never organized my accounts! I eventually moved to another accounting platform, but from time to time I use Billy's invoicing system.
Pros- Easy to use - Clean interface - Great Invoice design
Cons- Support is very weak. - The tool is missing major functionality. - Bank integration just came a few weeks back, but it is not stable. - Stripe is not stable. In many cases, the customer paid but payment was not captured. This led to an embarrassing situation where we keep following with customer to find out that they already paid!!! - Stripe payment can not be re-consiled! I have been told that each stripe payment has to be for 1 uniqe customer, which can not be the case! Stripe combine multiple payment together before payout is sent to bank. - Billy's US Management is sensitive to critics.
October 23, 2018
Bevan V.
April 28, 2017

“Easy accounting for right brain thinkers....”

OverallAs a graphic / web designer using my left brain is tough, so accounting certainly does not come easy. Our rep makes it so easy for me. It's super pretty interface presents the right information in the right places - which is probably why right brain thinkers like me love it!
ProsRecurring invoices
ConsThere are one or 2 features I'd like to see. 1) I'd like the recurring billing to recognize any price increase etc made in your inventory. 2) Would like the 'Description' included in the table view.
Recommendations to other buyers1) I'd like the recurring billing to recognize any price increase etc made in your inventory. 2) Would like the 'Description' included in the table view.
April 28, 2017
Gerry H.
November 27, 2017

“A simple and intuitive way to collect money from your clients.”

OverallEasy to collect payments from clients. It's as simple as that.
ProsVery easy to use software, intuitive, and has a great UI. You can even see when a client has viewed your invoice.
ConsThere is not much I don't like about the software other than it needs more payment options. I like Stripe but I would love the option to use PayPal with some clients.
Marina K.
Cpa- firm owner
Accounting, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2017

“Perfect for simple, repetitive billings”

OverallEasy tracking of paid & unpaid bills
ProsEase of use- quick customer set up for both companies & individuals as well as easy products billing codes set up
ConsWhen emailing a bill, Can't customize the email wording when to have several pre-set templates, i.e.; 2nd notice wording, monthly, quarterly, annual bill, different salutations, etc
April 29, 2017
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
April 18, 2019

“Great accounting tool”

ProsEasy to track and manage accounts. It offers the option to upload invoices and gives general advice how to do most basic book keeping. This helps save accounting costs
ConsIt is designed for the danish market and works best if used there. Will be great to offer more customisation for invoice
April 18, 2019
Robert M.
Web Solutions
November 16, 2017

“I use Billy for my Accounting. Bills in, Bills out”

ProsGreat interface and reporting. Syncs with all the bank accounts I need it to. Great support team. They offer add-ons to help you understand your bookkeeping
ConsMissing some features. Ability to accept partial payment Bank Transfers through Billy Some issues with Stripe All are being worked on
November 16, 2017
Kyle S.
Logistics and Supply Chain, 1-10 employees
November 20, 2018

“Definitely great for small businesses!”

ProsVery easy to use Low monthly fee Great customer service Quick upload receipts feature which allows for quick expense records Professional invoices Easy to add discounts and corrections on invoices
ConsIt is a little 1 dimensional and lacks a bit of features
Scott L.
Help Desk Engineer
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 employees
August 28, 2018

“Best Online Invoice Maker”

OverallWe first started using the free version and eventually moved to the paid version and are very happy with how it has worked. We are able to create invoices outside of the office on the road and accept payments online.
ProsThis was quick to set up and add customers and products.
ConsThe invoice template is hard to change and hard to customize.
August 28, 2018