Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate Ratings

Overall

About Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Provides construction and real estate firms with the most complete solution for managing the entire project or property lifecycle with confidence, precision, and efficiency. Formerly Sage Timberline Office. Learn more about Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate

Kristin R.
April 17, 2017

“Sage is complex, amazing and expensive. ”

OverallIf I wasn't working such long and demanding hours, I would like to look into Sage University educational opportunities...as I do believe many questions I STILL have, could be answered there. ONE THING that would be useful, IMHO, would be a detailed listing of the online classes/tutorials that are available, and the list of topics/subjects that they deal with.
ProsSage is an amazing product, with so MANY complex programs and modules. There are (literally) dozens of reports and functions that I still know little to nothing about (after 3 yrs of working with the product). It's got everything a general contract would ever need, and then some. Customer support (GOLD) is awesome (tho expensive) . 99% of the time, I have had pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful, experienced assistance from Customer Support. The individuals who work in Customer Support helped me make it that first year, and there is no question of that. Their patience and their availability (and their sense of humor) helped me retain my sanity, that first year (04/14 - 04/15)....hands down.
ConsThe complexity of it....each module is multi-faceted and highly complex (and complicated). If a person comes on the scene (such as myself) with no prior construction experience, it's very difficult to simply "pick it up". Also, In order to have Gold Support (a genuine necessity, unless the office employee has a degree in accounting...OR...10 years of prior construction experience) is very expensive. We are a small construction company, and the thousands of dollars we pay, each year, for Gold Support, is not an easy check to write.
Janet K.
CPA
Utilities, 51-200 employees
January 8, 2019

“I am a CPA and have implemented this software in the last year with a large underground utility construction company.”

OverallIn deciding to purchase this software, you need to determine your real commitment level. You can use an easily implemented software such as Quickbooks, but you'll need to manually enter a great deal of estimates and information. The implementation and training is costly - be sure and get the total price of all the software modules that you will need in addition to the estimated cost of implementation and training.
ProsI like that in general you are able to import tables from other software or ones created in Excel rather than either not having history or having to manually enter it. There are many very sophisticated modules to help you manager your business. There are awesome video's with lessons that you can use (over and over) for a period of time to learn each module broken down step by step. The job cost is able to import estimates created in Timberline (SAGE) Estimating, another very sophisticated program. From those estimates you can actually create purchase orders for items estimated, and email them directly to your vendors. Very slick if the program is set up correctly.
ConsThis is a complicated system and not for the average AP person or Controller/Accountant. You will more than likely need to hire an expert to train and walk you through implementation. The reports are rarely exactly what you want, so you either have to pay the expert to change them or to learn to change them yourself. The whole implementation process is lengthy - there is a learning curve.
Dustin B.
June 9, 2017

“Sage Customer Service Cannot be Beat”

OverallI highly recommend Sage 300 to any contractor out there. It's ease of use and numerous modules make tracking things like inventory, job costing, cash management etc a breeze. All modules sync up to the General Ledger and at the end of each month, we are able to see how we are progressing. This has helped us catch numerous mistakes on our end. Whenever there is a problem, we will phone the Sage call center. They are able to troubleshoot things in no time. Not only do they help fix the mistake they also teach you how to spot them yourself. The odd time we have had to escalate a problem to the programmers they always end up contacting us back the same day. I started using Sage 2 years ago with very little knowledge of the platform and accounting in general and through the proper training, customer service, excellent help articles and Sage U I can confidently say that I have mastered this program. I could never see myself using another product after Sage 300.
ProsEase of use Customer Service Training and Sage U Reporting Custom Reports to fit your business needs.
ConsOther than the odd Software Glitch which Sage is more than happy to fix I have no real complaints. Anytime I seem to bring something up that would make the product better Sage seems to be working on/implementing that change.
June 9, 2017
Craig S.
CFO
December 1, 2015

“Very Capable Software with Tremendous Support”

ProsBy far the best thing about Sage 300 is the customer support. It is simply phenomenal. For whatever shortcomings the software has, it is made up in the ability to pick up the phone and directly contact Sage employees who speak our language, understand our concern, and our very knowledgeable of their product. You don't get the "run-around" when you call in. They are very willing to remote into your computer to explain and help with troubleshooting the problem or implementing the solution. They aren't perfect as some experiences have been disappointing, but many times as I conclude a customer support phone call I am reminded just how impressed and pleased I am with their service.
ConsMany of the user interfaces are somewhat archaic and not the easiest to work with. That said, there seems to be a modernization process underway that will be addressing this in future versions. There are minor quirks/irregularities with the software, but that is to be expected since it has so many capabilities and tries to fill diverse needs.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure you know what your needs are. It is a robust system for construction companies, but not all organizations have the same needs. There are many functionalities we simply do not need. Take into account also the level of customer support. No matter what solutions are employed, their will be issues and even simple questions. Having good customer service is worth a lot in the long run.
December 1, 2015
John S.
December 12, 2018

“Timberline Customer Support”

OverallWe are a $30M A&E/Construction company.
ProsDecent functionality once you get it working. Price to function seems good. I have a hard time saying anything else good. If you can live with the cost of frustration, you will probably eventually say its worth it. I've used it for 10 years!
ConsSage provides almost "ZERO" support. Don't let them lie to you. I have used this product for over 10 years and my level of frustration remains very high. They will not support you after the software/conversion is done. You get pushed to a very few, custom Crystal Report writers who are incredibly overloaded. So all the promise of great dashboards, custom reports (which you have to have! For your own business!) is for naught. Just add 6 months to your process which is absolutely not an exaggeration. Let's just say it like it is. After the sale, Sage does not care about you.
December 12, 2018
Davin C.
Operations Accountant
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
December 5, 2018

“Accurate and Reliable with Minor Drawbacks”

OverallThe software does what you need it to do for daily accounting functions with minimal crashes or delays. However, the reporting function needs to be updated to a usable format so that it takes the end user less time to gain the information needed.
ProsThe software is very reliable and there are very few hiccups in day to day use. It's also very handy to have features such as: - Attaching documents/invoices to an AP or Journal Entry - Recurring journal entries - Project Coding
ConsI find the interface layout to be a little archaic. It is not very modern in comparison to other accounting software. A troublesome area is when making entries in the General Ledger module, the entries are not reflected in the AP, Bank, or AR modules. However, making entries in the AP, Bank, or AR modules are transferred correctly in the GL. Lastly, the reports that are generated by Sage 300 can be put into Excel 97-2003 only. Furthermore, the reports are generated in a very complex manner with poor formatting and many merged cells. Trying to manipulate and sort data can take a long time. It would be very helpful to be able to search/filter through Sage by the invoice/document number. The only option to do this is to either export the data to Excel, or search by vendor.
December 5, 2018
Falana M.
September 21, 2017

“A good construction project tracking software”

OverallI don't have a reason to change software products.
ProsEase of use Easy to learn and get accustomed to Has been around a long time Recent improvements (last 7-8 years) to the software (Xcel downloads, employee set ups, My Assistant) More 3rd party products that communicate well or easily with Sage 300 (i.e. PO/AP software, electronic clocks)
ConsI don't like the extra layer on support. It is inevitable that we need the 2nd level for almost every call. No drill down links between modules. There are a few things (I can't think all of now) that you can tell an accountant was not completely involved in setting up. One example, putting a negative in front a number in the credit column on some reports and not on others. The inconsistency can be confusing. Is it a credit or a negative credit (which = debit).
Angelika C.
AP Manager
March 25, 2019

“Accouting Software for the Construction Indusrty”

ProsThe best part of this software is the ease of use and navigation. Each department can customize their own platform whether its is the AP department,AR or even the VP of Finance. The software is very user friendly and forgiving. Also I can work in multiple platforms without any interruption or delay. Most importantly the reporting part of this software is very customizable so each department can look at the information that pertains to them directly without unnecessary or unwanted information.
ConsSometimes the reports take a little more time but that is due to the amount if information that it is pulling but this is not a downside to the software its just we are pulling a lot of information at once.
March 25, 2019
Douglas G.
December 5, 2016

“Sage get the job done”

OverallSage is the software we utilize for all of our PM/project accounting and budgeting tracking. This program allows us to enter budget, commitments, costs and track and report on these with up to date information and integrate with our other PM software for a more streamlined workflow.
ProsFor the price, this can't be beat. It can do all of the same things as the more expensive software out there. This communicates with our online PM software, and our invoice review and approval software to streamline all aspects of our project management work flow and improve productivity.
ConsNot the most user friendly. It doesn't have the fancy icons that other software does, but once you past that first layout learning curve and develop any custom reporting it is easy to understand and does everything you need.
December 5, 2016
Kathy R.
Chief Operating Officer
October 5, 2017

“Sage 300 CRE User”

OverallI feel that the knowledgebase needs a lot of work. Too many steps to get to your product. Most of the time, if I pull up a request that has more than one page of listings, I get an error message when I try to go to the second page. It has become almost useless.
ProsI like the simplicity of the accounting side and the integration between job cost and general ledger. I feel it is user friendly for learning the product in almost all aspects.
ConsWould like to see a simpler change order process with more connections between the subcontractor and the owner changes. Would like to see fewer glitches such as the "use last job" option does not work in project management under certain versions and occasionally I get invoices that show that the payment is open when the checks are cleared.
October 5, 2017
James H.
IT Manager / Web Development Manager
Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees
January 8, 2019

“Good but seeking for more”

ProsThere is a lot of flexibility with this product, but in many cases it requires a Sage Expert or extensive training. With this product our company managed Industrial Construction Projects of various sizes and cost and utilized different project costing. Overall our experience was good.
ConsNeeds a nicer UI/UX for the consumer, the next generation of user is accustom to ease of use and a clean UI/UX. Give the consumer more control, create a solution that allows us the ability to manage our data, our way. Salesforce has a great solution for this, although not directly related their model for consumer control and product support is one of the best I have ever seen/used.
Kenatu B.
Senior Programmer Analyst
Government Administration, 201-500 employees
December 14, 2017

“Where have you been all my life”

OverallIf you already have SAGE 300 ERP and need to manage projects and job costings, you need not go any further. Truth be told, if I didn't have all that stuff and found this first it would convince me to buy the other stuff.
ProsI have SAGE 300 ERP with the PJC module and to tell you the truth we had been looking for a system to manage costs of our projects for years that the years would actually use and not complain about. PJC is great but we just couldn't get the users to be all in with its use. Then I discovered CRE aka Timberline. I cannot believe this thing existed, where have you been all my life. This solution integrates with my existing ERP modules and PO making my life so much simpler. It integrates with outlook, I can export to excel and do analysis. I can manage invoices, check late payments, make change request and manage contracts and subcontracts ALL in the same solution!. I can manage project retainage and even choose when payments and costs hit my GL. I can give my managers the reports they need on the fly and customize them as needed. I cannot say enough about this software. I also love that I am not crowded with information. The drill down feature makes everything clean. I am literally in love and the users are all smiles now. It makes you happy to see a pile of paper to input. soon I will be almost paperless.
December 14, 2017
Amanda K.
January 23, 2017

OverallDennis Anderson Construction Corporation began using this software in 2005 when the product was called Timberline; however, at that time we only utilized some of its many functions, such as Accounts Payable, Payroll and General Ledger. In 2013, we decided to extend our contract with Sage and to take advantage of some of the other functions that we had not previously been using, such as Project Management, Billing, and Contracts, in hopes of tying all of our project information together into one software. Personally, I have only been using Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate for about five years but I utilize this software multiple times every day. It is my opinion that Sage 300 CRE is a user-friendly software (for the most part) and the modules we utilize capture all of the information exactly how we want it.
ProsSage 300 Construction and Real Estate support are PHENOMENAL! Whether it be through a live chat or a phone conversation, Sage support is always very helpful and they always show such care and concern in making sure your issue is resolved.
ConsYear-End Support is very slow (1 hour + wait time) due to the high volume of customers in need of support. I would recommend that Sage hire additional support members to assist customers with Year End issues.
Recommendations to other buyersI would recommend anyone who is new to Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate purchase a package that allows them unlimited support. Although Sage CRE provides Help Topics and Knowledgebase articles to assist with most issues, it gives great peace of mind to have that extra support, especially if you are a new user.
January 23, 2017
Teresa J.
May 1, 2015

“Responsible for original setup and training of employees.”

ProsSupport is great. Every problem I've had they have been able to walk me through the steps to fix. The integration of all the modules eliminates duplicate entry (except as detailed below). Ability to customize fields and use the Desktop to customize My Tasks.
ConsSome areas need definite improvement - Address Book! No easy way to access or send emails to groups. Address Explorer (an Add-on) helps connect to Outlook, but lots of room for improvement. Sage Construction Anywhere should connect to Address Book. You have to manually add contacts to the companies to be able to give them access to the software, even though they are already set up in Sage Address Book. Some fields are too short to enter all the information needed. Flexibility with documents - Most are created in Crystal and hard to customize. Hopefully the new Word Integration program in development will solve this problem.
Recommendations to other buyersBe sure you know exactly what your end product should look like. Plan your wants and needs before your evaluation and determine how each software stacks up to your requirements. Only purchase what you need and you can always add users and modules later.
May 1, 2015
Lanita C.
Construction Coordinator
October 3, 2018

“It was great and integrated with our timberline estimating software”

ProsIt was extremely easy to use and our accounting department even said it was fantastic. On the project management side, the staff liked the cost codes you could integrate and use. and the ease of sending financial information in. It was also used for monthly job cost review meetings with project management and operations. I believe it was relatively easy to generate thorough documents for review.
ConsYou couldn't do things through a mobile device. A lot of field staff and other personnel in various industries were always on the go and we couldn't have remote access on smartphones.
October 3, 2018
Maureen T.
Accounting Manager
February 8, 2018

“BEST CONSTRUCTION ACCOUNTING SOFTWARE OUT THERE !”

OverallHave been a user for over 30 years, dos based till current
ProsVery user friendly, the help button and the knowledge base are awesome places to go to when you need help in finding an answer to how to. Each application is easy to do the work flow. If you make an error in any one entry, the process to fix the mistake or the entry to reverse the error is a very easy step in all of the applications. I love the software!!
ConsMy only issue is job cost is not user friendly with cash management in respect to if you enter a line item job cost that affects cash then you also have to enter the same in cash management to stay in balance.
February 8, 2018
Nathan M.
1.5/5
November 6, 2013

OverallI have used Sage 300 since 2010 and have found it the most troubling accounting software I have encountered. It has the capability to do a lot, but the product is so difficult to use that it makes doing a lot impractical, at least for a smaller company. Sage acquired Master Builder in around 2008 and has yet to implement many of the "smart" features I had expected after they bought it from Intuit in that acquisition. In Master Builder/Sage 100, you can drill down on just about any field or report for more data. This drill down does not exist in Sage 300. The built-in calculator in Sage 100 is so handy; it does not exist in 300. The feature to advance the date using the + and - keys in 100 does not exist in 300. The feature to verify successful check runs through a certain check number does not exist in 300. The use of non-accounting terms intermixed with accounting terms is frustrating to me. When looking at the Cash Management Module, it refers to Debits and Credits as Additions and Subtractions. It posts certain entries as a Negative Debit instead of a Credit or vice-verse. GL is driven by the modules and never the opposite. In 100, you can enter accounting entries and have the job costs updated, but not in 300. If you have to enter a GL transaction that will affect job costs, you have to then go into the job cost module and enter a direct job cost and debit and credit the same account for a net zero GL affect. It can only print one thing at a time. Let me clarify; you open one report, an AP aging. You realize you paid a vendor more than you thought. You then run an open invoice list for that vendor. You realize they haven't been paid on a draw that they should have. You then decide to print the Open Invoice list to give to the PM, Controller, etc., but you can't. The first report that is open gets the print priority. Then if you try to close your AP aging to print your Invoice list, you can't. When you opened the second report, apparently the first report tells the second that it is not allowed to print. You then have to close the second report and re-run it. My biggest issue with 300 is that it is extremely prone to being out of balance with itself. That phrase may not make sense to most accounting users. I am referring to the concept of the GL not matching the AP, AR, Cash, etc modules. I have had so many instances of something being off; most recently, certain sales accounts were showing a previous balance after closing the fiscal year. This required manually changing the previous year account balance on the sales account and changing the retained earnings by the same amount. These sort of internal errors are very scary to me because Sage doesn't know why they happen, and if it can happen in one place, it can happen just about anywhere, I would think. Sage support is decent; they are all pretty used to the odd quirks and defects of the program, so they seem to be able to get these problems solved. If you are a daily user of the software, I would recommend not getting Sage 300.
November 6, 2013
Jeff A.
Accountant
April 30, 2018

“The software is relatively easy to use. ”

OverallReporting is relatively easy once you have done the set-up. Able to export to excel for outside users such as auditors is helpful.
ProsInput is quick and easy. It has been around long enough that most bugs are sorted out unlike some software. Once you learn some of the tricks/shortcuts it is even easier.Updates are frequent and the help desk resolves issues quickly. Able to customize reports.
ConsLike most software it takes some time to setup. Customizing to your business is a feature but then you need to learn to us crystal in order to make updates. Closing month in one module doesn't always update or close the others.
athena h.
September 21, 2017

“I really enjoy using sage 300 and very easy to learn. ”

Prosprocess data very quick, strong customer support, user friendly, Easy upgrade from entry-level accounting applications. Easy to change dashboard widgets. Customizable, ribbon-based navigation menus. Successful mobile access from multiple operating systems using Google Chrome. Customer relationship management (CRM) available in the 300 product line.
ConsCustom report design is not easy to learn; Payroll and inventory unavailable as 300 components. No hard timetable for adding modules. No flowchart/process navigation. Limited dashboard widgets on screen. No drill-down or navigation capability.
Raj C.
February 1, 2017

“Sage 300 Review”

OverallComing from Simply and QuickBooks this software take you way beyond their functionality. Highly recommend for any construction companies to take this software on as it really goes above and beyond allowing you to track multiple projects, invoice using different products. The app entry allows such variations including Manual Cheque, E-transfers, Credit Card (entry by a vendor) and regular cheque runs. As a company we want to streamline double payments and this system allows us to catch many duplicate submissions. I can't say enough of how happy I am that it integrates with Excel and if you don't want to invest in excel custom reports if your accountant uses ODBC at all they can extract the information easily.
ProsAP system (easy of entry, avoid duplicates Job Cost (track multiple projects, ensure they are invoiced, reports by vendor, by code) Cash Management System(reconcile your statements so easily, transfers between companies are so simplified, make an entry on the fly) GL (reports ...allow you to analyze your accounts)
ConsFinancial Reporting (out of the box reports are functional but not friendly to them eye comparable to simply/QuickBooks) but they do the job but would be nice to have better out of the box reports. That being said you can also order customer reports if that is what you are looking for.
Recommendations to other buyersYou can't go wrong if you are having a hard time tracking costs and staying on top of things in construction this is the product for you.
February 1, 2017
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
August 6, 2019

“Needed for a growing company”

OverallAs we grew, we needed a more accurate way to track job costs, as well as the ability to better track purchasing and inventory, than what we had with Quickbooks. We also had multiple different systems to manage various aspects of the organization. Sage 300 CRE allowed us to pull multiple systems into one place.
ProsIntegration of multiple systems into one place Cross role functionality More accurate job costing and analysis
ConsDifficult to setup and expensive to customize
August 6, 2019
Valerie L.
1.5/5
September 25, 2014

“Stay away!”

ProsThe Project Management portion works fairly well. The reports are very clunky and hard to work with, but it's possible to get the info you need.
ConsThe accounting side of this software is horrible! Did you know that you can have a negative debit and negative credit? That's just part of the nightmare. If you want to see all entries going through both AP and AR, they only show up as summary entries. There is no detail as to vendor, invoice # or anything other than the date and amount. It groups AP entries together into batches depending on how you post. If you post 10 invoices in one AP session, it will group all 10 invoice amounts into one lump sum in the AP gl. Even if you go through the tedious process of posting everything individually, you'll still only have an amount to look at. There is no journal like in QuickBooks and Simply Accounting, so there's no possible way to see what was posted during any given timeframe. Nothing is intuitive and everything takes longer than it should. God forbid you need to reverse something. We always had to call the support line to get help, as it was not easy. Sometimes it glitches and values don't get posted from one module into another. Again, you have to stay on your toes to try and avoid this from happening. Phone support is expensive, and good luck trying to do anything without it. I have now switched back to Quickbooks and export my job costs over once per month into the Job Costs module. We spent a lot to switch to this software (including training), so that decision was not made lightly. It was a bit of a pain, but way less painful than having to stress everyday about how to find something, how to reverse something, or how to figure out where something was posted. I'm very technically advanced and I managed, but it wasn't easy. Accounting isn't difficult, and Sage 300 seems to go out of it's way to over complicate the simplest things. Payroll in Quickbooks takes me 30 minutes. Payroll in Sage 300 took me 3 hours. The software is like playing a computer game on a PS4 and then playing on an Atari, seriously!
Recommendations to other buyersWe switched for the Project Management end which we still use today. We failed to look into the accounting end of things, because we assumed that accounting is universal, not in Sage 300. Look into this very closely and ask them to show you full demos on how to post payroll, accounts payable and billing/invoicing. You will find them extremely cumbersome.
September 25, 2014
Genieve P.
Sr. Project Coordinator
March 20, 2019

“Yay or Nay Sage 300”

OverallOverall it is a great tool to keep track of expenses on your job. This helps to keep track of the money your spending and you can see where you need to clean up your PO log.
ProsI am still getting use to this software as my job uses this for purchase orders and to do change orders on our jobs. I have the basic down on how to enter and create PO's and CO's however I know there are so many other reports you can do I just don't know the steps. I can use a little more training on this software as I am not using it to it's full potential. I like the fact that I can get a running total / spreadsheet on a specific job.
ConsNeed to know how to use it to it's full potential. I am still getting the hang of it.
March 20, 2019
Darrin J.
Treasurer, CFO
April 19, 2018

“Sage is a bit clunky but gets the job done”

ProsThe separate modules work very good. Certified Payrolls are easily done thru the payroll module. Payables and Receivables modules work nicely, with some help. Has a ton of reports available.
ConsAlthough it has a lot of reports, they are hard to find the one you want/need. The separate modules seem like they came from separate companies sometimes and without an expert help or customer support, it would be really hard to get what you need out of them. I have had to pay for custom reports to be done to get what I need several times.
April 19, 2018
Scott K.
January 11, 2018

“Stable software with lots of add-ons by 3rd parties to enhance it”

OverallEnabled us to use more efficient processes and procedures - we are now entirely paperless with respect to A/P and becoming more so with the rest of our processes.
ProsStable backend software that has been around long enough to have lots of 3rd party add-ons to do pretty much anything you would need.
ConsSome of the architecture is a little dated so some things require convoluted workarounds. The user interface can also be a little dated. Newer modules have modern interfaces, original modules have old interfaces. Service Management is a backend processor only - the user interface is terrible.
January 11, 2018
Teresa C.

“Sage 300 CRE”

OverallAgain, Sage Customer Support can not be beat with their knowledge and professionalism to their clients.
ProsOur company specializing in millwright, rigging and custom metal fabrication and Sage 300 CRE helps our company with certified payroll, union payroll and dues, job costing, purchase orders and subcontractor tracking. Also account payable and accounts receivable modules are easy to use, and it really helps us to streamline our operation. Sage Customer Support are most wonderful people to help solve issues you might have with financials or with a payroll.
ConsThe only con with Sage 300 CRE - it will take time to be trained all the modules this software has to offer. If you make a mistake my advice is to look at Sage Knowledge Base for answers or call Sage Support Team to make an appointment to help resolved the issue. You have to be very careful and pay very close attention with accounting dates and closed months with this software.
Tara H.
Coordinator
Construction, 501-1000 employees
August 15, 2017

“Good project management software”

ProsSage 300 is a user-friendly, fairly easy to navigate software. It is especially helpful in tracking subcontractor change orders and budget adjustments. The standard reports provide information that is easy to understand and is very helpful in figuring out where your project stands financially at any given point in time.
ConsIt is easy for users to document change orders inconsistently, there is a lot of room for variance which means that the documents produced can vary in appearance from one user to the next.
August 15, 2017
Jackie P.
June 15, 2017

“28 year Sage/Timberline user”

OverallI've tried other programs, but Sage/Timberline is the best and most efficient accounting program I've found.
Pros1. outstanding customer service and technical support 2. excellent job costing and subcontractor commitment tracking, both of which are most important to me 3. custom reports are a fantastic way to see exactly what I want to see and not a bunch of unnecessary info
Consit can be a little picky about the server it likes best. software updates need to be done one at a time, so if your IT misses a couple, you can't skip ahead.
June 15, 2017
Monica L.
Accounting, 11-50 employees
July 12, 2018

“Great system for construction. Efficient accounting software. Works great with Timberscan software. ”

ProsGood accounting system to use in the construction industry. Accounts payables module is very efficient and ties in well with the General Ledger. Project management module is easy to use and to track commitments is a simple process
ConsOccasionally we find certain functions that do not work well and have to contact Sage support. It is a little challenging when adjusting receivables especially when you have to void payments first and then later go back in and apply the payments again.
July 12, 2018
George T.
Bookkeeper
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
April 30, 2018

“Hard program to self teach, thank goodness we have gold level support. Knowledgebase has improved.”

OverallAbility to handle multiple companies with part time hours. Currently on the road to paperless.
ProsAbility to drill down for detail. Ability to find help in several different places IE Sage City, knowledge bases, help menu, customer support, Sage University.
ConsSage University is too pricey. There should be more free classes. Now they are only for the new features or modules. Frequently I have to wait for a level 2 to answer questions; however I've been using the software for 13 years!
Jennifer G.
April 30, 2018

“Easy to use accounting and project management software”

OverallEasy to use and easy to select reports and project management information.
ProsEasy to use and provides excellent reporting capabilities. I like how all the different applications interact with each other and I am able to keep track of everything. All users can pull the required information and print reports.
ConsSometimes I have trouble converting reports to and excel or word format. I believe that they have additional software for this but we have not purchased this portion.
Michael M.
February 6, 2018

“Sage 300 Construction, Good Product, Some Issues”

OverallIt would be better if it would connect freely with programs similar to Procore that perform the Project Management side of Construction so it matches better with the accounting side.
ProsIt will allow you to link payroll with Accounting with Subcontractors, Change Orders and then Billing to the Client
ConsThe product is slow to use and the program does not have defaults for items frequently used. You have to select where you want to be, every time you make a new entry rather than automatically going to where you just were
February 6, 2018
Victor A.
May 6, 2018

“Sage 300 Construction for Real State and much more!”

ProsReliable software with an outstanding and solid support team. Sage is one of the top industry leader for the construction software field, intermediate complexity level to integrate with third party apps makes this software an a remarkable solution for those companies that already have their Master set well defined within construction standards,
ConsTotal cost of ownership can be overwhelming without the proper capacity assessment. Sage University to train your Admins and staff can raise up the bar of the investment. Custom features requires special attention from specialized consultants.
May 6, 2018
Jackie P.
May 20, 2016

“Sage/Timberline Job Costing”

ProsI have been using Sage/Timberline accounting software since 1989. I find it user friendly. I like that I am able to have custom reports that show the information that I need in the format that I want to see. Not that I use it very often, but I have found the Sage/Timberline customer service the best of any company I have ever worked with. My very picky IT person has never had a complaint about the customer service and has actually complimented it, which, for him, is unusual.
Consthe software can be picky about being on a server with other software.
Recommendations to other buyersTry it. I've been exposed to other construction accounting software over the years, but none have been as good as Sage/Timberline. The company I work for is a General Contractor specializing in high end custom homes, so Job Costing is very important to be able to pull up at a moments notice for our clients. This software's ability to track commitments by job is the best.
May 20, 2016
Liz G.
Real Estate, Unspecified
August 12, 2015

“5 year Sage User”

ProsVendor is very responsive and customer service is knowledgeable. Also several methods available to look for answer to your questions.
ConsHard to figure out how to write reports to meet our business needs. Or report can't pull all the information together in one spot. Took report write courses but still had to contract with outside business intelligence service to pay them to write our custom reports and information "digestion". Also the fact that you cannot access information older than a few years is a huge drawback to a company like ours that develops land projects over 10 or 15 years. And finally I have had a lot of trouble trying to do a live a chat or even get into some of the customer service portals so there is something in Sage there that does not "talk" to our servers.
Recommendations to other buyersNo recommendations at this time. I inherited this software when I took the job so not sure what other choices there were available.
August 12, 2015
Mike C.
Gen Manager
May 7, 2018

“I have been using this product for over 20 years. ”

ProsAssembly takeoffs and easy user modified databases. Easy to train new users and keep all users using the same format. Pricing updates are simple through the database inks. Easy to modify or add new items to the database, or create one time items for oddball things that are not common.
ConsMerging estimates I lose my main estimate cover page data. Would like to be able to specify which to keep.
May 7, 2018
CJ H.
January 16, 2018

“Sage300 User”

OverallGreat system... you have to have staffing to use all the features. One person may not have enough time in a day to properly use Sage300 for job costing and accounting.
ProsI like the conditioning of items and how an individual may customize a report. It handles multi-company accounting... very helpful.
ConsThe learning curve is a little steeper and their are some "canned" reports still not available. Requires a fair amount of processing staff.
January 16, 2018
Marlene W.
April 17, 2017

“Great product but needs some more evident enhancments”

OverallOverall I think Sage 300 is the best software in the JC accounting area that there is.
Prosmost of the time it is very self evident about how to get around the software and how to use. The menus are easy to follow and the support from the consultants, TUG and Sage is very helpful to the user.
ConsNeed so have some better enhancements to AR ( Zero Deposits) some things that are so easy in other software programs seem so hard to complete in Sage 300
Teresa B.
October 3, 2016

“SAGE 300 CRE - For Serious Job Costing and Estimating”

OverallWe have had this product since it was called Timberline (1988). It has morphed some over the years, but continues to be a benchmark for Job Costing and Estimating software. The company is innovative and produces a robust suite of software modules that integrate seamlessly and produce business intelligence that is useful, accurate and complete.
ProsThe ability to produce meaningful reports with the data entered
ConsSlightly challenging to learn all aspects of the modules.
Recommendations to other buyersSupport is excellent, although not inexpensive.
Danielle B.
Bookkeeper
Accounting, 1-10 employees

“Sage 300 Review”

OverallI've used this software for the past 5 years, I think it's very easy to use and very easy to understand. It's a very simple software to use, it is self explanatory when it comes to inputting data and what to input, as well as where to input.
ProsVery easy to follow! Easy and quick to use. Self explanatory links and icons. Functionality is great! I've never had any issues with it.
ConsYou have to be looking for the information you want, you wont be able to just come across the information you need.
Starlett L.
July 29, 2015

“Powerful Software for Construction Companies”

ProsThe software can pretty much handle any situation you can think of with construction accounting from certified payrolls to joint checks and lien releases. Tax updates are done timely for payroll. We also use contract billings with AIA documents.
Consreports are NOT user-friendly - most of the time, we must use conditions and/or ranges to get what we need - we have tried several times to get our PM's to run their own reports but they are too complicated. I bought the Report Writer - but again, not easy to use and I simply don't have time to set up new reports and teach others how to use them. Also it waste ALOT of paper - the whole report-writing functions just need to be updated - in every single module.
Recommendations to other buyersAll software will have negatives and positives. Sage 300 delivers a good bang for the buck and runs smoothly from one module to another. It continues to evolve and add new features.
July 29, 2015
Karen J.
Business Analyst
April 23, 2015

“Window based software with specialized applications”

ProsI like how the applications/modules are separate allowing for more detailed information within yet they communicate with one another. It allows to customize beyond belief from which modules post to one another (or simply tracking entries) to custom descriptions/fields. I like how the security features allow for you to grant an individual tasks or simply only reports/inquiries. I also love the built in report designer.
ConsOften with upgrades there are features that were capable in the past but aren't available in the future. Also, some data is striped from application to application causing problems when trying to customize reports.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure you understand the software capabilities before diving in. There is so much customization that if you set certain things a certain way it is almost impossible (unless you request a data change) to go back and change, ie GL account structure.
April 23, 2015
Rachel S.
Billing specialist
Accounting, 51-200 employees
August 7, 2019

“Account Receivable usage”

ProsThe pros I liked most about this software is that is was extremely user-friendly. It helped in the accounting world for the company i worked for at the time. Such as sending invoices, processing payments, and running statements.
ConsFrom what I can remember is that there could of been several other options to help us in the AR/AP side of things. Certain reports were hard to run etc.
August 7, 2019
Christal B.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
April 2, 2019

“Sage 300”

ProsI like how it offers printouts for every single thing you do on there and finding what I need for resident statements is simple after a while of using it.
ConsI dislike how it's not easy to use all of its features. I use it for resident statements mostly, but it's still unclear on how to get everything on there correctly. It's easy to make mistakes on there and I wish there were a way to edit those mistakes before it's set in stone. Also, inputting some data doesn't automatically update everything else, you still have to do that by hand.
April 2, 2019
Melody P.
October 23, 2018

“User for many years”

ProsI like that Sage 300 CRE can cover several aspects of our construction company, such as accounting, project management, job cost, etc. Each module talks to the other one. The customer support is excellent.
ConsSometimes it's hard to search a specific help topic. Every now and then we'll come across strange quirks in the system that doesn't make sense, but support is able to help.
October 23, 2018
DAVID K.
CPA \ CONSULTANT \ CONTROLLER
April 25, 2018

“Overall this is a good software product. Just needs a little polishing...”

OverallWidely used by many construction companies.
ProsGets the job done. Can be customized to handle most tasks. Great ONLINE support. Very stable. Performs all general accounting and payroll functions very well.
ConsNo drill down functions. You can tell that different software groups developed various modules and NEVER went back to make them consistent. GET RID OF NEW STYLE JOB SETUP SCREEN!!!!
April 25, 2018
Sue C.
CFO
April 24, 2018

“works well for our construction company Project Manager works great for our engineers”

OverallDesigned for construction companies. We have been using for 10 years
Prosentering information is user friendly, being able to perform Payroll is house is essential for our employees. General Ledger provides different type of FS/BS.
Consreport manager requires assistance with consultants. Not easy to change without assistance. Job Cost needs more report options for unit price projects and tracking costs.
April 24, 2018
Ben H.
Project Manager / IT Director
August 17, 2017

“Powerful Software for Construction Accounting”

OverallAfter learning the product, I'm not sure I will ever choose a different accounting, PM system for my company.
ProsMany features for construction companies big and small. There are a lot of different options for this program including accounting, project management, payroll, estimating, etc.
ConsUser interface is tedious and difficult until you learn it well. It is an expensive program to purchase but saves money in the long run.
August 17, 2017
Shannon L.
July 20, 2017

“This software was so easy to learn and use.”

OverallI love using this Sage product and would highly recommend it to anyone.
ProsVery user friendly - the software is so easy to use that I picked it up right away when I first started and didn't have any training.
ConsSome modules don't talk to others and that can be confusing. But, I can call in and a friendly rep will walk me through the issue so that it gets fixed and then I know how to do it for next time.
July 20, 2017
Dani B.
Project Coordinator
December 6, 2016

“Robust by antiquated”

OverallSage 300 CRE is a very detailed system but needs a complete revamping. It is able to store a lot of pieces of information, but getting them out of the system require a lot of work. When I evaluate software, I look at how many steps (clicks) it takes to accomplish my task. Sage is the absolute worst of all the software options available. Unfortunately our accounting has been using it forever and the cost to change would be too expensive right now. It can best be described as a Windows 95 database because that's what I think of every time I have to use it.
ProsAble to store a vast amount of information. Everything is broken down into modules and works well with multiple users. Does allow for customization of certain tables and modules.
ConsRequires too much work to get to what I need. Tables of data cannot be sorted. For example, a list of contacts on a project cannot be sorted. They are listed in order of entry, which means I have to scroll through an entire list to find a contact. Same goes for some drop down lists. If I don't know the person's name, I can't search. I have to scroll through the list one click at a time because the scroll bars on the side don't scroll proportionally. One click on a side scroll bar takes you down 75% of the bar even if the list is really long. Getting information from the system requires customized reports, which you either pay for or get trained in Crystal Reports. I used to use Quickbooks Enterprise and was able to get more relevant information faster and easier than I do from Sage. Some of the screens can be expanded but do not show more information. It just creates more blank space so I spend a lot of time scrolling to get to what I need. The system as a whole is very out-dated. Search options are very basic...can't search for MEDICAL if the contact is entered as GREATER AREA MEDICAL CENTER. You would have to know it starts with GREATER AREA.
Recommendations to other buyersWhen spending this much for software, I would evaluate all other options to be sure this is what you really need.
December 6, 2016