Dundas BI Ratings

Overall

About Dundas BI

Dundas BI is a business intelligence and data analytics platform for medium to enterprise organizations. Our fully customizable BI platform gives you instant access to real-time data and information from across your organization, so you can transform it into interactive dashboards and reports for faster insight into your entire business. Dundas BI seamlessly integrates into your existing systems and applications for a great user experience. Free trial or download available. Learn more about Dundas BI

Luis S.
Senior BI Consultant
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
October 12, 2016

“Explore, analyze and get fast insights of your data in an easy and fast way using Dundas BI. ”

OverallI've been working in Business Intelligence for quite a long time and in the beginning it was hard to explore data and show information in form of data visualizations for the end users. Since I discovered Dundas BI, this task turned to be much more simple and easy to achieve! Dundas Bi has an IDE for developing Dashboards, Reports and Scorecards that uses the last technologies in web applications developments which makes your life simplier. The smart drag and drop design tools, the rich set of data visualizations customizable to the lowermost detail, the style and themes feature, turns possible to create rich and interactive dashboards in a breeze! Dundas BI comes with an ETL (Export , Transform and Load) layer, where you can clean and prepare your data, this is done using a canvas where you can drag your tables from a data source, choose the columns you want, aggregate them, join with other tables, filter and a lot of interesting features regarding the ETL process. It connects to a lot of data sources: Oracle, Microsoft SqlServer, Excel files, ... It is a collaborative tool, with scheduled reports, based on a metric or not, you can even annotate data points, writing a comment on it in a way that others can see and respond to it! Every view can be exported to excel, pdf, image and even powerpoint. The management of the software is in the form all in one! every thing is done in the application, from user creation object permissions, overall configuration, project exporting/importing and management!
ProsThe drag and drop feature for creating views is a very productive feature. The ETL is also great, it's easy to use and, for more advanced users, it evens permits to write direct sql against tha data source you choose. Regarding performance it has two possibilities, you can cache in memory or in DBI data warehouse. The collaborative feature of this tool is a must to have feature, I specially like the data driven notification option that could alert you by email when a specific metric goes behind a threshold or state.
ConsIt needs to take a step further and aboard predicted analytics!
Marin T.
Technical Project Manager
September 25, 2015

“A steep learning curve, with great reward at the end of it.”

ProsDundas is a conglomeration of expertly coded dashboard development tools and infrastructures. The thing I like most about Dundas is that they are very helpful, the gentleman assigned to me to educate me in the ways of Dundas, was one I will never forget to this day, he was calm, helpful, understanding and with his help I learned Dundas in no time. I like the way Dundas structure's its Dashboard development, it starts with virtual tables, where the programmer can manually or automatically generate SQL queries, these queries are then used for the basis of adding statistical flavour to the Dashboard, the way this is done is very straight forward. Dundas has a steep unforgiving learning curve, but when you master the fundamentals, the sky really is the limit. Also their support service is world class, the representatives will assist you in any way they can, they will help you understand what the issue you are facing is and provide a resolution. If they cant help you via email, they will 'WebEx' you, i.e skype call with 2 way screen control. Everything in Dundas is customizable, charts, graphs and other statistical data can be glossed up and made to look as simple or as plush as the user envisions. You can add formulae, trend analysis and other key statistical methods are employed by Dundas. They have charts for Finance, Risk analysis and other key statistical methodologies. All of these charts can be jazzed up with scripts so that you can Drill down and filter through the data you want in order to get the right Business Intelligence feel to your work. Dundas supports the Data Cube, It supports Microsoft, Oracle, MySQL, EXCEL, it has export capabilities onto Excel, so those clients which prefer their data in Spreadsheets can manually export directly from the dashboard. Everything in Dundas is designed to give you the most professional feel possible at all times!
ConsDundas, for the good of it's users needs to publish more comprehensive educational equipment to train it's users, it is very hard to get to an expert level in Dundas without some help from your Friends in Dundas. I would love to see Dundas publish university style lectures, with step by step guides that show every aspect of the working sphere. With adequate educational material, one would be able to gain adept or even artisan status with the Tool on their own.
Recommendations to other buyersI recommend that if your getting stuck and your finding it hard at first, you need to just keep at it, even if the pace is baby steps, take comprehensive notes, and try to remember the internal logical structure of Dundas, it is imperative that these key fundamental steps are taken so that when you become better at making queries you will find it easier to navigate through Dundas and achieve what you want quickly. Also make sure you label KRI's and Virtual Tables and Data Sets clearly, make sure you obey some logical structure in your workings, because its very easy to get confused, especially if you have a project with 10+ dashboard screens, you will get very confused if you don't use folders and a hierarchy (through text in your work) in order to achieve a functional and easy to main dashboard.
Zaman A.
Sales Manager
Farming, 51-200 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
October 12, 2017

“Dundas embodies data visulization”

OverallI think overall, I would not rule out Dundas, even with it's so called quirks. Dundas staff showed very much that they listen to users, even those that haven't purchased and have taken my criticisms to heart. Since we're not talking about a 2017 Toyota car or whatever, I feel it's important to note the constant evolution of any progressive software company. The complaints stated could be obsolete in a mere few weeks.
ProsDundas seems to really understand the need of handling big data and the tools needed to process these overwhelming mountains of 1's and 0's into actionable data. While working with the demo of Dundas I was able to create a very helpful tree-map that showed me the dissection of purchases comparatively from vendor to vendor to evaluate our performance or "loyalty" per vendor by item category and so on.
ConsThe U.I. of Dundas, while quite robust, seems to concern me in regards to the amount of boxes, checks, and clicks and long clicks I have to make to merely navigate my way through the program. I would rather see more keyboard shortcuts and less "Windows Vista" popups that slow my work. I felt like the settings I would implement would get lost. For instance, I would filter the vendors that weren't pertinent to my particular evaluation, then also the item categories that I wasn't interested in working with. Later on, when in the final building of the dashboard I wanted to add a checkbox filter to allow the end user to select individual item categories and be able to view 1 or all 20-30 at a time. Strangely, even though I filtered (or so I though) this data in the data cube level, I realized that the checkbox list populated with ALL the categories. This was quite frustrating. Also, I have yet to figure out how to go from an unfinished dashboard back to the data metrics screen where I built the KPI to start with. Unless i'm mistaken, it seems you have to go back to your saved metric set and then create a new dashboard after edits. Hopefully I'm wrong in my assessment of this but even so, the answer did not seem to be intuitive .
October 12, 2017
Buck H.
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
August 30, 2019

“Dundas BI Earned Our Decision”

OverallWe have years of data that need mined. This requires the stakeholders to play with the data. We can give them all the metrics we can define, but when a user gets the chance to turn the data on its side and inside out, and then when they can bounce it around between each other, mark it up and change the visualizations on demand, it allows them to work from intuition. We are striving to help our users work from intuition, as well as from logic, to make observations; and, Dundas BI offers the ability to feed intuition.
ProsDundas BI is a solid platform: it's more than a tool. With solid row-level security, a hefty selection of visualizations and the opportunity to present our user base with the ability to play with data, they won our vote. We compared them against: Tableau, Sisense, Domo and iDashboards. These comparative products had strengths as well, but when we made our decision, it was because Dundas gives our end users great control over visualizing what they see without unnecessary programming as well as our ability to use native SQL views we've already written with no need for modification. This in tandem with row-level security that we control at the data level made a perfect fit for our organization.
ConsI like to get up and going intuitively. There wasn't a quick-start guide on how to create your first dashboard: it was pieces of learning. Having now gone through the majority of their 100-level and 200-level courses and having created a number of assets, I can see why Dundas wants you to do their training...but for heavy programming go-getters, I wish there had been a quick document to start. They did, however, respond amazingly as they hit my demands for learning head on and answered my questions rapidly, even assigning me access to a technician for a few days while I was in crunch mode.
August 30, 2019
Christopher S.
Director of Manufacturing Strategy
Automotive, 10,001+ employees
June 24, 2019

“Affordable, flexible solution for manufacturing operations BI”

OverallWe needed a self-service BI solution that would cover manufacturing operations dashboards and use cases. We wanted a tool that would allow for the distribution of centralized common dashboards but also allow for self-service customization. It needed to connect to multiple disparate data sources, and provide native ETL. It also needed to allow for real-time refresh capability. Finally, it needed to be affordable and scalable to our global operations footprint. DundasBI was the only solution that checked all of these boxes, and so far the tool has been a great help to reducing external spend and internal, custom-coded solutions.
Pros-Real-time dashboard refresh capability -Built-in ETL -Flexible seat types and affordable licensing -Superior flexibility and customization, without the need for coding -Out of the box performance and usage tracking
ConsCustomization and flexibility come at the cost of a steeper learning curve compared to other solutions.
Mohammad K.
November 1, 2016

“End to End Enterprise BI Solution”

OverallI used Dundas BI for almost the last two years, Dundas BI is Enterprise end to end solution where you can connect to your data through wide range of data sources available and the ability to add extra data sources through its open API, Dundas BI contain embedded ETL engine to transform the data and it allows for multiple data access options (Datawarehouse, In memory analysis and direct connection to data). by using Dundas BI you can build your dashboards, reports and scorecard with friendly interface and with rich library of visualization charts from bar and pie charts and ending with relationship chart and histogram chart. Also Dundas BI allow business users to do their self service analysis with referring back to IT people, I cannot forget their customer support, they have well trained team to support their customers from incidents and issues and service request like helping us in writing Java codes to do amazing things in the solution. The tools is completely open and it is build over JS and HTML5, this is so amazing since Dundas BI is fully supported on mobiles with all mobile features like pinch to zoom and others. As Dundas BI have full Java and .Net APIs then it is very easy to integrated Dundas and embedded it in other portals and it has out the box integration with SharePoint.
ProsFlexible tool where you can do what ever you want, I beleive that 95% of use cases can be build in Dundas BI as quick-wins and the rest is possible through JS and HTML5.
ConsI wish Dundas BI to have out the box integration with web-services as this will be helpful and currently not available but it can be done through programming,
Recommendations to other buyersI recommend to watch all videos on Dundas website before trying the tool as this will help the user to get the value of the tool
November 1, 2016
Kris B.
Computer Software, Unspecified
October 1, 2015

“Comprehensive BI = Dundas BI”

ProsDundas BI is the most comprehensive BI platform available (trust me, we looked at BI products for almost a year before choosing DBI). Our three main criteria when selecting a BI platform for our clients were visualizations, reports and mobile. DBI covers all three criteria (with a codicil that will show up in the "What I like least" section) and the licensing costs are reasonable. Key features that are crazy cool: 1) DBI is data-source agnostic, 2) the scripting capability allows developers to do just about anything, 3) DBI is based on HTML5 technology (other well-known BI products are based on proprietary and/or outdated technology) and 4) the DBI support team (including the development team) provides excellent customer service. For us, as a small software company, there is always the chance to second-guess the selection of a BI product. This was a critical decision for us as the BI software we deploy to our clients will directly impact the viability of our organization and our ability to stay relevant in the coming years. It is a testament to the DBI product and the Dundas team that the answer to the question "Did we select the right software?" is always a resounding "Yes".
ConsThe one knock on DBI is the lack of a mobile app. User experience is the number one factor for us when delivering products to our clients. Currently, mobile data is delivered via web pages. DBI would be greatly enhanced if the mobile experience was via a mobile app (even if the "app" was simply a wrapper the redirects users to the web page).
Recommendations to other buyersKnow your data, your audience and what you want to deliver. Call Dundas.
PRASHANT A.
Senior Engineer
Oil & Energy, 501-1000 employees
September 24, 2019

“Highly Customizable BI Software”

OverallIts Awesome product.
ProsDundas BI is very good software having lots of features and it is highly customizable BI Product.
ConsDundas BI dashboard performance should be improved for large data and also needs to improve Report PDF export look and feel.Also It needs more efforts to design from scratch.
September 24, 2019
Kevin B.
CIO
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees
June 24, 2019

“Flexible, Customizable, and a Great Investment Return”

OverallThe staff and support have been excellent. The software is flexible enough to meet our needs.
ProsFlexibility and Customization Ability to connect multiple data sources Ability to setup security groups and have auditing capability Customer support is excellent
ConsIt does take some time to setup initially, but the flexibility more than makes up for it
Mohammad Q.
Dundas BI Developer

“Great BI tool”

OverallWe have chosen Dundas BI because of its flexibility and the ability to integrate with wide range of data sources, the open API platform that allows to do non-traditional integrations with our in-house systems. Dundas support team are always on time to solve any issues or to provide any suggestions and java scripts to help our issues.
ProsFlexibility to do whatever you want, Open API and known scripting languages like HTML5 and JS where 99% of your word can be accomplished through drag and drop including preparing the connections to database, you can do all the task which usually have to be done through SQL language by using Dundas and only drag and drop like join, sort , filter, union, aggregation and more.
ConsThe tool doesn't support the 3D Charts even it is clear that 3D charts are not professional.
Recommendations to other buyersAll you need is to visit Dundas website and watch the videos and step by step you will be a great developer/designer in dundas BI.
Andrew M.
3.5/5
3.5/5
October 12, 2015

“Dundas Developer for the last 3 years”

Pros1. Data Visualisation is what Dundas do, and do well at; as opposed to many BI vendors, who offer a broader range of functionality but end up being a jack of all trades, and a master of none. 2. It's a difficult balance for a product to be easy to use, as well as being flexible. It's subjective, but I feel that they have the balance right. 3. I can't speak highly enough about the support team.
Cons1. Exports to Powerpoint, etc... are needed. 2. Ability to work off line, with everything nicely cached. I agree the benefit will diminish over the years, but other products, like Microstrategy, do. Senior managers like this. 3. A better way to add comments; something like Cognos. 4. More an issue with the previous Dundas product, and though rare, but we had a couple of cases where newer versions could often resolve one issue raised, but result in something else no longer working, which made us look a rather silly. With new versions, don't assume anything, and test thoroughly again. 5. Greater presence in Europe.
Recommendations to other buyers1. I would strongly recommend getting Dundas design team involved at the start, as they take your ideas, and improve the design significantly. 2. What ever you want, there does seem to be a way to replicate your design. There maybe a wrong around, but you get there in the end.
October 12, 2015
Mohammad Q.
Professional services Manager
September 6, 2016

“Flexibility in design, ”

OverallI am developer and implementer of Dundas BI. I rememered how we choosed dundas from 10s of options for to many aspects like flexibility to do whatever you want , variety of data sources and the open API. Moreover, the price od dundas is reasonable comparing to the features that it provides and cheaper comparing to other products in the market. Later on, our requirements increased but dundas BI was flexible enought so we did all them. In dundas BI, think what to do rather than how to do it or if it is doable or not. One year later, dundas become the central portal for every department including Executives ,IT, sales, and marketing. By giving other departments small training on dundas bi, they started to build their reports and dashboards, our role was to prepare the connection to databases and the data cubes only. Dundas Support team are great and reply to any query withen same day. I liked their support because they are ready to help in building java scripts that solve or do my requests or to to provide solutions to issues which were sometimes related to OS or the database.
ProsFlexibility in design, variety of charts and data sources, open API and the great dundas support
ConsNo 3D charts even it is clear to me that 3D is not professional but some people just like to see it.
Recommendations to other buyersAll you need is to get a training on dundas BI or watch the videos on dundas and steo by step you will be great developer of Dundas.
September 6, 2016
Kris B.
Resident Hack #2
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
November 2, 2016

“Dundas BI - If you don't have it, get it...”

OverallWe have been a partner with Dundas BI for almost two years, since the initial release of the product. We were searching for a BI offering to present to our clients and stumbled upon Dundas almost by accident. Good thing we did. In hindsight, choosing any product other than Dundas BI would have been the wrong choice. The architecture of Dundas BI uses HTML5, CSS and JavaScript - no legacy technology here. The product is can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud, includes multi-tenant functionality, includes out-of-the-box connectors to an array of data sources, allows for ETL in the application, gives developers granular control over most design elements, the dashboard features are almost limitless and the support team is outstanding.
ProsFlexibility and functionality.
ConsI'll never fully exploit the capabilities of the software - it's simply too massive.
Recommendations to other buyersGet. It. Now.
November 2, 2016
Alex V.
Business Inteligence Team Leader and Project Manager
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
November 1, 2018

“Best functionalities in a BI tool that money can buy”

OverallI am working with Dundas BI since the day it was born (roughly 2014 begining) and I can say that I had only good experiences with it, as long as you know it very well.
Pros- ease of use - really intuitive - extremly open to external integration, like javascript D3 charts, tools like TinyMCE, picture uploaders etc. - writeback option to send data to a database - R and Python Integration - big array of visualisations and also some interesting ones, like Sankey Driagram, Tree Node Map, Chord Diagram etc.
Cons- big learning curve for developers - not so self service BI orientated - Dundas diferentiates a dashboard from a report or scorecars, so you have to learn how to do 3 things
November 1, 2018
John-Arne S.
Solution architect and operation support
Utilities, 10,001+ employees
July 17, 2017

“Promising, good and high potential but not there yet”

OverallDundas BI is a very good contender in the BI segment and has great potential. At the moment it is a tool for developers proficient with JavaScript and not recommended for end users. There are great potential with DBI. Unfortunately v4 got the wrong focus on non-essential upgrades thus put the bar high for version 5. To compete with Power BI, Tableau and QlikView DBI need much improvement on user-friendliness. If DBI can be really improved on administration and formatting and keeping the flexibility it will surpass most of it's competitors.
ProsRelatively easy to get started and creating visualizations and dashboards. The scorecard, which is a kind of repeating panel is brilliant and undervalued. The report is a great addition which makes DBI an all-in-one BI tool. Dashboard layers and pop-ups enhances the experience. Data driven notification adds to a useful experience. ETL cube with data warehouse has powerful transformations and much capabilities. The open API with JavaScript makes it flexible beyond expectations.
ConsProject and file and content management is amongst the worst in class! This need to be completely changed in v5! It's a frustrating experience to organize content. Auto save is okay, but need to be able to decide where. Check in /out is over-used and add frustration to developing dashboards. Poor cube management; need option to process multiple cubes and have incremential processing as option. Need an equation writer for those who is not proficient in JavaScript. Need more formulas for metric sets. Hidden metric sets in dashboards are a bad idea. Properties tab need complete re-organization.
July 17, 2017
Dan D.
Programmer/Analyst
Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees
June 21, 2019

“Nice Feature Set, Some Learning Curve”

ProsRich visualizations; tons of choices for visualizations with almost limitless customization; cube-builder platform is a very convenient environment for ETL - accommodates newbies with graphical tools and coders with convenient SQL, C#, and Python interfaces; state notifications are convenient and intuitive; good security.
ConsFairly tough to learn this platform - not always intuitive - hard to do simple things sometimes; limited (statistical) analysis toolset - no ML, though Python integrates nicely and has some application. v6.0 was a good step forward. Most customer support technicians are outstanding. Very skilled, knowledgeable, helpful. Other times, you have to bounce emails back and forth for a week before getting meaningful answers to your questions.
June 21, 2019
Murali k.
Engineer
Utilities, 201-500 employees
December 10, 2018

“Amazing Things You Wouldn't Have Guessed About Dundas BI”

OverallMetric set color/base changes need to apply automatically to the same metric set where it used in dashboard instead of editing each dashboard and do changes manually. [Simple : if user did changes in one metric set level it needs to update all places wherever it used in dashboard currently it is not happening. In this case user need to edit each dashboard and apply the same changes at dashboard level ]
ProsMany advantages/functions inside the Dundas BI . example Good Visulizations,Responsive dashboards (mobile friendly), User friendly and easy use for development of dashboards and many more.
ConsScore cards ,Table & Reports are not responsive and after refreshing the parameterized URL its lost the base parameters (In general case if URL captured with parameter its should hold the parameters even user refresh the URL).
December 10, 2018
Guillaume R.
Senior Data Architect
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
June 28, 2019

“Hands down the best value for money”

ProsThe first impression (pre-sales traject) is awesome. The people at Dundas are very friendly and efficient. When you actually start using it, there is a lot that can be done out of the box, and Dundas helps you in many places to make your life easy. For most of the rest, you can extend it programmatically. Support is usually quite efficient, and there are a few great experts on the forum to get extra help. The price and licencing models are really good and client friendly, especially for small companies.
ConsIf you want to do something which doesn't fall within what Dundas expects you to do this becomes tricky quite fast (it is still doable most of the time, though). Everything in Dundas can be overridden in multiple places. It is as powerful as it is confusing.
June 28, 2019
Cosmin I.
Director of Systems Architecture
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees
April 11, 2018

“best of breed, open standards BI dashboarding environment”

Overallkeep up the great work -- after a two months, in-depth technical review of about a dozen BI tools out there, including PowerBI, Spotfire, DOMO, MicroStrategy, Pyramid Analytics, Tableau, Looker, Qlik, + Open Source solutions -- for the aforementioned points, our company settled on DundasBI, as the "best of breed", most flexible, scalable, modern, fast, "future-proof" & cost-effective solution.
ProsIn no particular order: 1. Licensing options: a. concurrent, b. unlimited, c. perpetual (some vendors may offer just one or two) 2. Open Standards & API hooks for JavaScript, .Net, REST 3. "No pressure" Sales engagement. 4. Company is willing to go the extra mile to assist with POCs, onboarding, technology adoption., 5. Clear documentation, FAQ's, Scripting Samples. 6. Forums to interact with community. 7. Modern, fast GUI, with rich set of components. 8. Frequent product updates. 9. Fast, responsive and knowledgeable support personnel. 10. Scalable architecture.
Constakes a bit getting used to, to ramp up on complex engineering/solutioning of needs (including scripting), for notice JavaScript/REST developers, however the company is willing and able to assist with these endeavors.
April 11, 2018
Colin M.
Manager, Business Analytics
Philanthropy, 501-1000 employees
August 28, 2017

“Huge bang for the buck”

OverallThere are so many features to this software that we learn new tricks every time we work with it, but you don't have to learn everything to start providing value to your customers. We are well ahead of schedule at moving from our old visualizations to new Dashboard and reports in Dundas. A definite productivity booster for the costly Business Analytics group and BI in general.
ProsWe're moving from a SSIS, SSRS, Datazen and Excel, very manual process over to Dundas BI (DBI) and we are daily amazed at how much we can do so quickly in DBI. The ETL process is very quick so creating the data cubes isn't rocket science. Once created a cube can be used immediately to begin providing very high-quality visualization to customers, or super users in analytics-heavy departments can start creating their own visualization for their members. Setting up users is as easy as typing in their name and setting permissions is fairly intuitive, so it only takes a few minutes.
ConsFor developers there are several things that take a little while to wrap your head around. Retraining ourselves to simplify our queries will make our whole ETL process more maintainable in the future, but it is a paradigm shift that takes a little while.
August 28, 2017
Onur Ö.
July 25, 2016

“New generation self-BI”

ProsDundas BI is the flexible BI tool I've ever seen and quite easy to use for BI developers. For the end-users, It can be a bit confuse at the beginning. But when they learn to manage the functionality and abilities of Dundas BI they will probably really like it. They can learn it quickly with free videos and once data model ready; end-users can start to build their own report without need any technical support cause you don't need to create scripts. You can easyly create your dashboards with drags and drops. Dundas BI has also a great support team. They are always there for you. On the website you can easyly reach all the documention and examples. Dundas BI makes the complex reporting system too simple for you like version management, multi-tanency.
ConsThe product is huge ability. You can create whatever you want(I saw an example like a developer was changing the lamps with a bar of Dundas). But to manage this ability you need to have a good Java Script knowladge which i don't like.
Recommendations to other buyersFor product, They need to keep focus on the ease of use. I am so excited about the new verison of creating data model on dashboard. For costumers, Just download the free trial of product and see how easy to have a BI system.
July 25, 2016
Jeremy B.
Data Analyst/ Dashboard Developer
Utilities, 1001-5000 employees
July 8, 2016

“Data Visualization specialists”

OverallOverall it has been a great experience working with Dundas BI. We use Dundas to help our co workers be able to visually see how certain programs in our company are running, how much money is being spent and so on. Having this tool gave us the ability to do all of this. There is lots Dundas BI can and cannot do but has been progressing quickly releasing new versions of the software. Always including new features and letting users try new versions and give their feedback on how they like the new software compared to the old. Overall it is a very useful program, but for new users it may be complex to get used to.
ProsWhat i like most about the software is the many different ways to be able to connect and visualize data. to be able to manipulate your data to be displayed how you want becomes very useful. if there is a way you want to visualize data, im sure dundas has a way of doing so. Their customer support is one of their top qualities, they typically respond within 24 hours and are very interested in a very helpful way.
Consthe terminology can be pretty difficult sometimes to understand. Other than that, some of their features have minor glitches which im sure they are in the process in fixing as their customer support is tremendous.
July 8, 2016
Larry C.
IT projects coordinator
October 7, 2015

“Dundas is the way to go!!!”

ProsThe visualization is great! I think this is exactly what executives are looking. We looked at several other software that did the same thing but they weren't as visually awesome as Dundas. Dundas BI is much much easier and user friendly than the first version they had. I like this one very much... They have basically incorporated the SSRS, SSIS and SSAS in a nice neat package. The drag and drop features for Excel documents are great.
ConsThe mobile app functionality isn't what we thought it would be. It is a bit difficult to understand and get at first. Currently I'm fighting adding maps to it(I don't be believe this is a Dundas issue), but it would've been cool if they had the US states in the default map along with "every other country in the world"
Recommendations to other buyersKnow your clients! Know what data they are looking for... Test it out a few times with a couple different scenarios. The video tutorials are great, but they make it look easier than it is sometimes! Remember your clients don't know what they want until they see what they don't want... expect modifications. :)
DANNY T.
Sr. Manager of IT & Vendor Services
June 20, 2019

“Good Value, but not the best”

OverallOverall, the product is working as intended. Like anything else, as you get more comfortable with it & start to learn the quirks it becomes a little like second nature.
ProsThe initial attraction to the software was the look. It's slick & clean & making visualizations is snappy & they look good with little tuning. That was a big selling point. The platform is built so that you can customize based on your needs & that's huge. Plus, the cost was a fraction of the largest competitor we reviewed.
ConsCustomer Service can be a bit choppy. You can't "call in" for an answer, unless it's a quick one, if you need help troubleshooting something while you're in the thick of it - sorry, you need to schedule the time when things go wrong. There were other issues with being sold different licenses than what we used in our trial, with no clear understanding of the separation until after the fact. Debugging data errors, if you're working with alot of data can be a NIGHTMARE.
June 20, 2019
Andy C.
Manager ¿ Business Intelligence, Data Architecture
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
April 10, 2017

“Great tool for your BI toolbox”

OverallWe have been using Dundas BI for over a year now and everyone loves it. The visuals look good,are very customizable and the data loads quickly. We utilize this tool embedded in SharePoint using a SharePoint WebPart, as well as in our custom apps utilizing an iFrame.
ProsQuick time to market - drag and drop excel sheet for instant analysis, connect to SQL (including SSAS) easily for quick browsing of data. The tool can be customized to meet our needs.
ConsNo out of the box funnel chart - I really had to think about a con, I couldn't think of anything I don't like about Dunas BI
April 10, 2017
Steve G.
Senior Systems Analyst
201-500 employees
October 12, 2016

“New life and light for the dark side of information”

OverallWe are a privately held company with multiple locations using shared services for administration, accounting, HR, risk management, acquisitions and mergers. Our ERP uses IBM DB2, and Dundas letting us tap into a wealth of details that would otherwise be buried in thousand-page reports. Never before has the ability to profile previous periods and events had such speed and accuracy (our data goes back over 15 years). The access and sumarization of this data is revealing patterns and insight to the business processes. We've only just begun and are excited about our game-changing experiences!
ProsThe flexibility. A developer (license type) can do almost anything imaginable.
ConsThe flexibility. There's a lot of details to attend to, and the complexities can lead to misinformation if you don't continuously validate the visualizations of the data.
Recommendations to other buyersBest ROI in the industry, you'll love their product, and more importantly, their customer support. They really care about my success in using Dundas BI 24x7.
Tom H.
Senior Solutions Architect
1-10 employees
February 27, 2019

“Exceeding expectations”

ProsIt's easy for any level of staff to get going quickly visualizing data. Dundas BI provides the tools for all organizations to gain actionable insights into their data, no matter the volume.
ConsThe only con I have is that it is easy to get lost in all of the functionality available in the product.
February 27, 2019
John H.
Investment Strategist
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
May 15, 2017

“Functionality that blows my mind”

OverallIn my opinion, this is the top of the line business intelligence visualization tool out there.
ProsThe platform is so powerful. What one can do without much programming is amazing. Throw in the programming and customization pieces and WOW! Customer support is superb. It feels like the customer support team and technical team is vested in our successful deployment. Visualization components and built-in graphing, charting, sparklines, etc. very very robust.
ConsVersioning is a little confusing, but I think it is just taking some getting used to with the check in check out and how our local projects tie in with the deployed.
May 15, 2017
samer S.
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
March 8, 2017

“Dundas BI leading ”

OverallAfter working with different BI tools, i believe the best one i dealt with is Dundas BI. It is a very intelligence tool easy to use and customer friendly. It has a multiple features that is not there in other BI tools, most of the functionalities that you need is there already built in inside the tool and in case it is not there you have the flexibility to write scripts in order to achieve whatever you need. their customer support team are so professionals and supportive. the customers always like the look and feel that dundas BI gives them other than other tools which lack of that visualizations.
March 8, 2017
Rafeek B.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Unspecified
October 11, 2015

“ A fresh view of analytics with Dundas BI”

ProsHaving used other dashboard and reporting softwares, Dundas brings a breath of freshness into the analytics domain. The rendering of graphs, charts and other visualization is very appealing to novice as well as experienced users. The fact that it is web based with the flexibility to connect to a raft of datasets makes it a strong contender.
ConsAs the resultant information that Dundas produces are viewed in different kinds of mediums, the responsive design architecture needs to a bit more intuitive and easy to design and develop. Similar to the sandbox view, there could be other predefined views targeting mobile and tablets.
Recommendations to other buyersThe training courses will give the understanding and hands on experience is the best way of learning the software.
October 11, 2015
Renzi M.
BI Engineer
Human Resources, 1001-5000 employees
September 3, 2019

“Dundas BI ”

ProsIt is easy to use for your basic report needs. It is a great entry point for users wanting to experience making a report without the knowledge of coding. The customization is also superb as you can implement CSS and javascript to customize the report experience.
ConsIt lacks the functionalities for interfacing with other tools. It also lacks some advanced features that are need for more complex reports.
September 3, 2019
Matt C.
Team Lead, Service Desk
May 23, 2019

“Massive toolbox if you have time to learn it”

OverallThe initial learning process was extremely time and energy-intensive, but with each learned lesson I gain the ability to do some amazing things with our data delivery and presentation.
ProsNearly infinite possibilities. Hundreds of built-in options for extracting, modifying and displaying data plus untold options using scripting solutions.
ConsThe learning curve for anything beyond a basic line graph is basically a vertical surface, largely because of the breadth of tools.
May 23, 2019
Jian R.
BI Specialist
Civic & Social Organization, 5001-10,000 employees
January 4, 2019

“Where data becomes alive and beautiful.”

ProsVery modern workspace style with a lot of visualization options. Absorbs latest technologies fast and releases new features frequently. Provides unlimited possibilities when it comes to dashboard design.
ConsObject references are too complicated, making duplicating/promoting items not as straightforward as it could be. Deployment could be very slow and problematic. Data directly from SSAS cube often stops refreshing.
January 4, 2019
Shashank G.
Data Scientist
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
January 15, 2018

“Data Visualization made easy”

Overallts a versatile platform
ProsI can connect to anything, customize most everything (or not), report on any kind of data. It allows to combine data from numerous different data sources (SQL Server, Oracle, SAP BW, Excel, etc.) into combined data cubes allowing the data to be presented in cohesive dashboards and reports that are not broken up by where the data is stored.
ConsThe amazing flexibility of dashboarding tools comes complexity and a bit of a learning curve. It would be great if there was more guidance built into the application so that the tools could be more intuitive.
January 15, 2018
UTSAV K.
technical consultant
January 10, 2018

“Top notch visualisation and analytics capabilities”

OverallAmazing customer support
Prosvery smooth visualisation, easy to deploy, easy to expand, inbuilt R and python support, data cubes, customer support is top notch.
ConsThey need to improve on community. But they have already started with dundas bi vip forum. In near future that will be resolved
Bernadette H.
Director of Marketing
Computer Software, Unspecified
October 1, 2015

“Dundas is the most advanced and superior BI tool”

ProsDundas is a pixel perfect business analysis tool. The OLAP cube compatibility is outstanding and we really enjoy the fact that Dundas is a very well thought out product that has everything we need plus so much more. Dundas does the thinking for us with advanced functionality and great canvass components that accomodates large data sets with ease. I can highly recommend this software as is a clear winner on so many fronts.
ConsSlightly difficult to learn in the beginning once you get used to making scorecards and use the reporting module as there is a wealth of features and tools. Thou the dashboard construction is really easy and allows for a lot of controls and flexibility.
Recommendations to other buyersGo for a software that is scalable, robust and innovative and has a strong self service and ad hoc reporting. Technology is moving fast, so you want to partner up with the best in the Industry.. Pay attention to the ease of setting up data connectors, if you using multi tenancy the software provider has to cater for such an environment. Also look out for mobile and tablet compatibility.
Shachar H.
BI team leader
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
October 24, 2018

“dundas BI is very flexible and accessible ”

ProsDundas BI has some great visualization , vary of APIs and very intuitive. new great feature are always to come.
Consthe support is located only at Canada (EST) and we are at UTC +2 and sometime it is really increase response time
October 24, 2018
Priyabrata S.
Java / iOS Developer
201-500 employees
March 13, 2018

“It's a very good tool for creating cubes from different sources including direct excel sheets. ”

OverallIt's not that much complex as compared to other BI tools. The user will understand all of its features not more than one week.
ProsVery user friendly, won't take much time to understand the UI part, whether it's related to creating a dashboard or creating cubes, measures and dimensions. Even you can create you custom cube by joining tables by simple sql queries. Dundas has its own cloud server, hence when you create any new project including dashboards, charts, measures and dimensions..It uploads everything to its secured cloud drive. It simply took me 1 week to understand the complete functionality of dundas all by myself. Hence I would say it won't take much time to get familiar with it even for a non-technical guy.
ConsThe tool is very useful and user friendly. The only part I felt it's lacking while writing sql queries by using cascading functionality. It won't support or run using this type of queries.
March 13, 2018
Mark J.
Sr. Business Analyst
Utilities, 51-200 employees
October 24, 2017

“Highly Customizable Dashboard Tool for Experts and Novices Alike.”

ProsThe ability to apply custom looks and functionality through CSS and JavaScript make it a great took for embedded BI. The data cubes make ETL simple for even complex transforms of large data sets.
ConsThe menus and sheer number of settings and options can be intimidating and a little frustrating in the beginning, but as users learn the tool and spend more time in it this is less of an issue.
October 24, 2017
Elmar H.
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

“Dundas BI review”

OverallDundas BI is a very flexible tool to create the most creative dashboards and or reports. If there is something you can't figure out you can contact there support and you will always get an answer within a day.
ProsThe number of visualisations and the flexibility especially when you also start scripting
ConsAt the moment we have some difficulties with the export but that it also our own fault. We created a very complex table that we need to export.
Recommendations to other buyersTry the demo and see how flexible Dundas BI is
Habiba S.
Data Visualization Developer
August 8, 2016

“Rapid Dashboard Development”

ProsThe product allows you to build dashboards quickly by providing a platform that makes it easy to integrate and visualize data from many different sources. It allows you to create aesthetically pleasing dashboards that empower users to make informed decisions. The vendor is local and very responsive to support requests. Bugs and feature requests are taken seriously and are resolved quickly in version releases.
ConsIssues related to integration and infrastructure with other platforms are not easily resolved. I'm not sure it can be blamed on the vendor as the product itself has very few problems. It would be nice to have integration experts on their team though ot quickly troubleshoot and resolve these problems.
Recommendations to other buyersTake the product for a spin. It is easy to install and test. You are bound to fall in love with Dundas BI!
August 8, 2016
February 2, 2018

“A great tool for creating pixelperfect dashboards.”

ProsThe strength of this software (compared to other software for dashboard) is its ability to create graphics, KPIs and totally pixel perfect objects. On other software that I use often I have difficulty in satisfying the client's graphic requests, through Dundas the problem does not arise, indeed it is possible to edit every single object in the smallest detail.
ConsIn my opinion the interface is not very attractive, the graphs are functional and clear (which is what we need in practical terms) but could improve a bit 'the graphic aspect that I think is still a bit' too "simple". Even the use is not the easiest initially, you have to acquire a little 'knowledge of the software but nothing too difficult.
February 2, 2018
Thomas T.
CFO
January 10, 2018

“Best visualization and reporting tool ever used.”

OverallDUNDAS has a great support philosophy. Never experienced such help performance.
ProsModularity in design, building reports is remembers playing with LEGO bricks. The embedding functionality is outstanding, too.
ConsThere could be more analysis functionality. Provides a lot out of the box, which is awesome. But having a pivot grid like in Power BI would be fitting to the rest of the tool and make it unbeatable.
Shachar H.
BI team leader
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
December 5, 2017

“Dundas BI in the telecom world”

ProsVery flexible and innovative, HTML5 web based support and easy to learn and use. great support team also
ConsNo Linux platform support, in our telecom world Linux is a must when playing with the biggest players
December 5, 2017
LeAnn N.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Unspecified
October 7, 2015

“Powerful, Flexible, and Well Supported”

ProsProducts that are powerful, flexible, and feature-rich can often be complex and take time to learn. Dundas makes the learning easy, with rich documentation, videos, example scripts, and a wonderful support team. Once you've mastered the basics, creating powerful dashboards in Dundas is surprisingly quick and easy. Dynamic elements give our users the flexibility they need without complex scripting being required, and I love the ability to use Layers for a cleaner design experience.
ConsWhile we understand the good reasons behind switching from Dundas script to JavaScript, this transition is a bit of an extra learning curve for our team.
Recommendations to other buyersChallenge yourself to do a complete a proof of concept using each tool on your shortlist, making sure your POC contains the most complex scenario your user base demands.
Michelle B.
Senior Business Analyst
October 6, 2015

“New to Dundas BI Platform”

ProsDundas BI is fairly intuitive, which makes for a quick win. This product is extremely flexible, dynamic, and easy to use. The support staff will go far and above in assisting you, they will help you truly understand what the issue is so you can learn from it not just repair it.
ConsPart of what I appreciate about the product also frustrates me. It is so customizable that you can get lost in customizing and forget about 'why' you were developing the visualization to begin with. I am new to this product and have found myself calling support because I have "customized myself" into an error, but never fear the support team always manages to untangle my mess. We were somewhat hoping to reuse some of the datasets we created in Dundas for other projects but unfortunately the way the warehouse it set up it is not possible to reuse the data (that I am aware of).
Recommendations to other buyersThe biggest hurdle we have faced is our data structure (or lack thereof) which makes for some difficulty getting started, however Dundas has provided an overabundance of data connection sources and customization, which allows for this product to be used by novices and experts. Be patient as you won't be an expert overnight, but you can definitely move forward quickly. I would also recommend the training program for beginners, even if you have worked in the application for a while, there are so many tips and tricks that you can pick up or ask about.
October 6, 2015
Richard E.
Business Intelligence Developer
Civic & Social Organization, 1001-5000 employees
July 11, 2017

“A very powerful and highly customisable data visualisation tool”

ProsThe tool allows you to display your data in any way you like. Almost anything can be customised, and the interactions (both built in and through scripting) really make the difference. The support is also excellent!
ConsThere's so much customisation available, it takes a little while to get use to all the options available, and where they are.
July 11, 2017
Rony A.
September 25, 2015

“Outstanding data visualisation platform!”

ProsProduct: Truly flexible, dynamic, and easy to use visualisation product. We have reviewed many that are available on the market, but Dundas stands out because of the stunning aesthetics, responsive and touch-enabled interface and highly robust deployment capabilities. Vendor: I can not fault the customer service, it is one the best that I have ever come across. For this reason in particular, I'd highly recommend Dundas to anyone without a doubt.
ConsNothing to add here - very happy with the service provided and the Dundas BI solution.
Recommendations to other buyersUnderstand your top 3/5 priorities, is it 'value for money' or 'very interactive', or 'mobile friendly', once you know what your priorities are as an organisation and what you are looking to deliver, it becomes much easier to choose a suitable platform.
Helge S.
Performance & Capacity Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
November 16, 2017

“Highly customizable BI software with awesome features and visualisations”

OverallWe tried out many BI tools but Dundas is over all for us the best BI tool on the marked.
ProsYou can customize everything. Ease to use. Pixel perfect visualisations. Great support. Massive out-of-the-box capabilities.
ConsThe collaboration functionalities could be better. A function to send messages to other users for example would be create.
November 16, 2017
Anthony G.
IT Specialist
Civic & Social Organization, 1001-5000 employees
March 3, 2017

“Awesome BI Product!”

OverallExcellent Visualizations and integration possibilities.
ProsIntegrates into your existing business systems in no time!
Consprogramming/scripting knowledge for advanced functionality
March 3, 2017