OpenVPN Access Server Ratings

Overall
4.1/5
4.1/5

About OpenVPN Access Server

OpenVPN Access Server is a full featured SSL VPN software solution that integrates OpenVPN server capabilities, enterprise management capabilities, simplified OpenVPN Connect UI, and OpenVPN Client software packages that accommodate Windows, MAC, and Linux, mobile OS (Android and iOS) environments. OpenVPN Access Server supports a wide range of configurations, including secure and granular remote access to internal network and/ or private cloud network resources and applications. Learn more about OpenVPN Access Server

Majid s.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self-employed
October 3, 2019

“Trustworthy solution”

OverallI can have a secure connection to my server, So in public areas, using free WiFi is not source of worries for me anymore.
ProsAfter connecting to the remote server, All connections to the Lan will be dropped. It means that It provides a real secure connection.
ConsThere is only the last version which is available on the website and I can not download previous versions from openvpn.net I don't know this is the issue of software or my knowledge, but I couldn't have two concurrent connections from different devices at the same time. So I had to create two different users for two devices.
October 3, 2019
Sporting Goods, 501-1000 employees
August 7, 2019

“Excellent VPN Option”

OverallI use OpenVPN to access my company's network when I am working remotely. This keeps me productive no matter where I am. It works great and I have literally never had an issue with it.
ProsI have used many other VPN clients before and OpenVPN is my favorite. All clients do a fine job of getting me VPN access when I need it, but OpenVPN keeps me connected while my laptop is off or asleep and it remembers my login credentials to make signing back in very quick.
ConsI really have nothing to complain about. OpenVPN is a very simple and useful VPN client. I have used it for a while with zero issues.
August 7, 2019
Michael H.
Consultant
January 15, 2019

“This is the standard for remote access”

OverallI think it's a great standard that should continue to be developed.
ProsEasy to setup point to point tunnels from other openvpn routers to other openvpn routers, cross platform compatibility with apple, windows, android, and linux devices, tons of support and the gui is very simple for windows users to use as along as they can remember to open it in the right hand corner of the tray and click connect first before trying to open other network resources like remote desktop or windows file sharing.
Conssome of the windows 10 system had a bug where you had to right click and run as administrator for security issues to get the software's TAP adapter to successfully load so you could connect.
January 15, 2019
Shelly R.
Sales and marketing specialist.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees
October 9, 2019

“Security in the economic network.”

OverallI have used this program for more than three years, although it has presented me incoherent on some occasions, I must say that it has complied with everything established, offers excellent servers to be free, with a stable and excellent speed to navigate, protect your data and stay in anonymity to prevent information theft, an excellent program for anyone.
ProsEase of connection, diversity of servers in different countries, free, ease of use and installation, network security, identity protection, stable speed, guaranteed anonymity.
ConsWeakness in the connections, it does not offer support, the program does not notify if it is disconnected from the server, it can connect it to an unwanted server, the speed may decrease, it does not offer additional security.
October 9, 2019
Charlie A.
Composite Product Specialist
January 25, 2019

“Adequate VPN Server”

OverallProfessional use for file access and email servers.
ProsI've used this to gain access to restricted work servers for email and storage. It works about 80% of the time to allow me to access the email and files stored there. Once installed, it's pretty easy to connect on a laptop and it's automatic on a phone (most of the time).
ConsIt's a little hit-or-miss, as previously stated. Every now and then, I need to manually connect my mobile device to the VPN, even though it should be automatic. It doesn't always play nicely with hotel networks so when I travel for work, I'm not always able to use the hotel wireless to check emails or access files.
January 25, 2019
Automotive, 10,001+ employees
August 8, 2019

“Fast and easy VPN access”

OverallIt's a free and simple VPN everybody can use easily without and connection problem as long as good config files.
ProsEasy access to 3rd party remote servers in any region. You can use OpenVPN on PC and smartphone. The only thing you need is adding config file into program directory and then run it. It's that much simple.
ConsThere is nothing to complain about. You only need good quality of config file.
August 8, 2019
Robert N.
Director of Operations
Individual & Family Services, 201-500 employees
August 5, 2019

“VPN server made easy!”

ProsWe have found that having a virtualized software that is used to run on our specialized hardware has been an easy process from the get-go. We have appreciated the many forms of easy deployment - highly recommend this product.
ConsWe have had a few issues when pushing DHCP options to Windows clients but were able to resolve those through the help of customer support.
August 5, 2019
Sanel P.
Software Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
August 15, 2019

“OpenVPN Access Server - Depends On User”

OverallProvides excellent service especially per cost.
ProsEasy enough for most users to understand how to set up. Pretty secure. Able to use in most settings.
ConsUsers without a stronger technical background will find managing the software difficult. Can be even more complicated in enterprise environments. In event of reconfiguration, a user of stronger technical background is needed.
August 15, 2019
Kevin V.
Software Architect
Internet, 51-200 employees
July 11, 2017

“Solid VPN server, does what you need”

OverallEasy to setup Virtual Private Networking, generally works without much management.
ProsReasonably easy to setup, generally just works most of the time. Price is quite fair for what you get. Overall a good VPN solution.
ConsServer management interface could use some improvement. Could use improved functionality around audit logging and other related configurations.
July 11, 2017
Akshay B.
Information Security Consultant
April 22, 2019

“We use it daily in the work to connect the server that are located out of the country: Powerful Tool”

ProsPowerful and flexible. Like supports, various operating systems across versions and have seamless conn
ConsThere is nothing I don't like about this software, though some people say that it requires technical knowledge to use it, but it is meant for technical people so, I love Open VPN.
April 22, 2019
Nathan A.
Digital Marketing Specialist
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
March 23, 2019

“Works but can be glitchy. ”

ProsWhen it works it works well. I don't really have to worry about it once connected.
ConsI may be a bit new to it, but I have had difficulties connecting to my VPN on occasions which has slowed down work considerably. I recently started using an older version of the software that has worked better.
March 23, 2019
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
August 22, 2018

“A (Difficult) reliable solution”

OverallI like it and I use it every day!
Pros1-There are too many solutions for one requirement. Cloud services, virtual appliance, and software packages. 2-very reliable and almost bug-free software. 3-community edition is free
Cons1-Community edition setup is really difficult and only a professional can install it.
August 22, 2018
Alafia V.
Analista de programas
June 28, 2018

“I use it to work remotely from home and to have secure access to the application and database server”

OverallSecure connection
ProsThe application is very light at the moment of downloading it and executing it on the PC when installed correctly is very easy to activate
ConsThe installation and configuration are complicated in occasions does not allow an easy access via remote to the enterprise servers
June 28, 2018
Mauricio A.
Business Manager
May 27, 2018

“One of the best solutions to access any app or website trespassing censorship on your country. ”

OverallFree and secure access to online resources in my country.
Pros-Always get updates on security protocols and add new servers to secure user connections. -As an open source product, it's compatible with almost any platform (iOS, Android, windows, etc). The developers' community always adapt this app to newer OS versions. -IT departments have a great product to secure his environments (Hyper-V and VMware ESXi), there are some cloud services that allow VPN configurations like Amazon.
Cons-For less technical users it's almost impossible to configure the app for every environment. -Configuration guide use technical language, making even harder to fix issues. -Customer Support it's not available via common channels like chat or email, users need to ask about his issues on forums or communities.
May 27, 2018
Melissa M.
at home use
March 19, 2018

“Fast connecting VPN”

ProsLike other reviewers have said, the set up is a bit difficult at first but once you get through that, the service itself is fast, secure, and the connection itself is reliable. It rarely drops for me.
ConsThe set up made me struggle. I am a pretty average software user, I'm not too much of a computer whiz so I don't appreciate when the set up is difficult... the UI is also outdated but this is not a major problem for me.
March 19, 2018
Gambling & Casinos, 1001-5000 employees
May 24, 2019

“Straight forward VPN access on multiple platforms”

ProsBeing able to connect with the same account on multiple platforms (Desktop PC, mobile etc.)
ConsThe lack of clear and easy to use menu's to customise / edit settings and log in information - feels quite restrictive and basic in that regard.
May 24, 2019
Brian R.
IT Consultant
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
March 5, 2019

“Open VPN”

OverallEasy to install, no disconnects, FREE! Using on multiple PC's and servers.
ProsFree option for site to site VPN. Allows me to connect to a third party remote server.
ConsNo real issues as long as you keep a good copy of the configuration file.
March 5, 2019
Enio G.
Gerente en Cartagena Yates
May 8, 2018

“Browse the web and protect your data.”

OverallIf you are thinking about implementing a virtual private network you can be sure that OpenVPN is a solid, safe and functional choice.
ProsIt offers us a strong encryption and confidentiality protection, so that our traffic is encrypted so that it can not be examined in case of being intercepted.
ConsIt has some difficulty to configure it once installed but with practice it becomes easy. The interface could be more friendly.
May 8, 2018
Anis A.
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
June 26, 2019

“Easy to use and functional ”

ProsWe use this software as a main protocol for our VPN company. It is very easy to use, allows you to offer the services on multiple platforms and is safe.
ConsIt would be good if OpenVPN offered an easier solution for end-consumers, it's pretty simple to set up the VPN configuration for someone with experience. However, first time users usually need to follow helpdocs.
June 26, 2019
Bartosz G.
Mudlogger/Junior data engineer
Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees
April 12, 2019

“Free VPN access software available for students and scholars, too!”

OverallIt has enabled me to work from home, so I didn't have to go to the University to use very specific software. It has been a great experience.
ProsIt has enabled me to use software that my University is using, but from home. I couldn't have done that on my own, because I have to be connected through a special type of server. OpenVPN has helped me very much. I just entered the details that the software "asked me" to and was ready to use the software that I needed. It was really simple - so simplicity is what I like the most!
ConsCons in OpenVPN? I don't know if there are any. I didn't have any issues with it.
April 12, 2019
Nabil N.
Secretaria
Construction, 51-200 employees
July 6, 2018

“100% recommended”

ProsI have not really used many VPN applications, but it has not been necessary to try too many, because when I found Open VPN I did not have to search anymore, this application does not need to be downloaded, I use it directly in the cloud and it fulfills its function very well. which is to protect my IP in a very effective and free way, I love it.
ConsIt is difficult for me to indicate a disadvantage to an application that does its job very well and also I do not have to pay anything for its use, I really recommend it.
July 6, 2018
Rosmer B.
Computer Maintenance Technician at GTP Sistemas S.L
June 22, 2018

“ Good tool that guarantees privacy when it comes to protecting our data in the network.”

OverallIt has been positive since it has fulfilled the requirements for which it was designed, it is efficient and of quality, I recommend it because it is a useful tool in relation to the security of personal and company information.
ProsWhat I like most is that it is fast and secure when it comes to accessing content from other countries and protecting our network, especially when financial operations are carried out or simply increasing our security, which is more to install or antivirus, with this we can navigate in a safe way and its price is commensurate and I am really satisfied with this product.
ConsSometimes but very few connection errors have existed, however, they have been corrected quickly, the rest is very safe and reliable in relation to the funcinality and guarantee offered by the provider.
Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees
June 1, 2018

“OpenVPN works great and satisfies our needs. ”

ProsThe things I like most about this software is the price point and the functionality. I specifically chose OpenVPN because it was a free piece of software that is integrated right into my Linksys router. I was able to set this up with little effort and no cost. For occasional use the speed was good and the availability was right.
ConsWhat I like least about this software is, as with most free software, you are not guaranteed good service or support. This tool is open sourced and while the community is very helpful, the site is not laid out well and there is no solid support system that I have seen. Avoid this if you don't want a challenge if something goes wrong.
June 1, 2018
Education Management, 51-200 employees
June 7, 2019

“Fast Connection!”

ProsIt helps me boost my data connection and somewhat helps people connect with it.
ConsSometimes servers come crashing down and it affects your connection.
June 7, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
May 19, 2019

“The best VPN Server. ”

OverallGood service with high security.
ProsOpenVPN Clint is light weighted and VPN server is easy to configure.
ConsIt is not compatible with some of proxy servers.
May 19, 2019
Andrew O.
Real Estate, Self-employed
May 15, 2019

“User firendly web browser encryption”

ProsThis software is easy to use and requires just basic computer skills to setup and run. It will connect your computer and cell phone devices to your VPN service for easy internet browsing encryption.
ConsWhen restarting your computer make sure your software is open and connected to your 3rd party VPN service.
May 15, 2019
Fernando d.
SAP BW Consultant
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
April 26, 2019

“Reliable and lightweight VPN Server”

OverallI use it now to access some customers and solve many different problems, but in the past I have configured a VPN Server on a virtual machine for my graduation so others could access it and use the system I was developing there. It was very good in my opinion!
ProsIts very easy, although very configurable, to setup a VPN Server with OpenVPN. There is a large amount of tutorials all over the internet regarding this, which make it very easy to get up and running. The errors that you may find along the road are detailed enough for you to search for help.
ConsThe way it works, sometimes, can cause problems with OpenVPN Clients when users have more than one VPN Client installed on their machine (like Global Protect). In consulting world the need to have more than one VPN installed on the same machine is very common, so not everybody is aware that OpenVPN can interfere with other VPN clients.
April 26, 2019
September 14, 2018

“Utilitarian VPN server”

ProsBased off the open sourced free version it tends to have updates for security problems fixed very quickly when they occur. Once configured it works smoothly. The LDAP integration for the business version is pretty slick
ConsConfiguration can be tricky depending on your certificate setups and your installation (specifically on windows, had some files in the wrong directory and in the wrong format initially). Updates are frequent which is good but aren't clandestine as I would expect them to be.
September 14, 2018
Amal M.
Independent Contractor
July 27, 2018

“Best ever VPN software I have used to work from home. ”

OverallWork from home benefit. Safe and better encryption of data. Better speed in the network.
ProsEasy to use. Easy to install. Easy to connect. Lots of servers other than the work based configuration. It also has different user interface languages. Simple UI. Can add extra configuration files through the installed directory.
ConsSometimes needed to reconnect the VPN because of not getting connected through the channel. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to get connected.
July 27, 2018
Jeff S.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
May 12, 2018

“Great, though interface might intimidate some”

OverallSolid, reliable VPN security
ProsThis is a good, reliable, secure way to accomplish the security of VPN. While it does drop connection from time to time, it seems better than others I've tried.
ConsWhile the service works well, setup is intimidating and requires some previous knowledge with regards to networking.
May 12, 2018
Justin C.
IT Manager
Textiles, 51-200 employees
January 14, 2019

“A solid and reliable VPN option at a good price point.”

Pros - Rapid setup - Easy configuration - Solid VPN connections
Cons - Manual updates to client PCs can be a tad tedious
January 14, 2019
Denice J.
Real Estate Agent
Real Estate, 1001-5000 employees
July 20, 2018

“OpenVPN Access Server is a secure and fast connecting.”

ProsThis Virtual Private Network allows me to access the website those work inappropriately OpenVPN Access Server is the best VPN software that resolves my issues which occurs while browsing. I will get updates off n on to secure connections.
ConsI need customer support through email or chat but i am unable to contact with them, because i want to tell them about some issues. But i have no disadvantages about this software. 100% recommended.
July 20, 2018
Ronny Leal - D.
Java Software Developer
June 12, 2018

“We used it in the work to connect by vpn to the offices that are in the United States”

OverallExcellent for having a secure connection to other work equipment
ProsExcellent to connect by vpn to another remote place, easy to install and does not consume much broadband
ConsThere is a certain degree of complexity to configure the openVPN, you can use other tools to help the easy connection
June 12, 2018
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
September 5, 2019

“Simple, Secure VPN access”

OverallWe have several employees who exclusively work from home, and connect their machines to our secure on-site servers via OpenVPN. It is very usable, and its connectivity with Google Authenticator adds to the convenience and security we get from it.
ProsAll of our employees generally work from home, and OpenVPN Access Server makes it easy for them to do so in a secure manner.
ConsAt times the tray icon did not always represent the accurate status of the connection, even though the connection itself was reliable.
September 5, 2019
Gianni G.
CEO and Principal IT Security Consultant
August 20, 2018

“One of the best tools for small businesses”

ProsOpenVPN is in my opinion one of the best option you have to set up a VPN for your employess/customers, because they can easily access your network with both their computers and their mobile phones without having to know much about how the VPN works.
ConsUnfortunately, it is not always possible to apply some restriction to the VPN users like for example limit duration or number of accesses per day/week.
August 20, 2018
Joshua B.
Data Analyst
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
August 22, 2019

“Fast work-from-home connection”

ProsIt is fast. Many VPNs I have used in the past have provided a spotty connection into the company network, but this has been fast and seamless. I have run code to read and write on the network drives and it is almost as fast as doing it while connected directly to the system.
ConsThis really is a great software, but it may take up a little more filespace than other VPNs
August 22, 2019
Carly S.
Onboarding Specialist
June 22, 2018

“Provides me with connection to a remote office ”

OverallIt allows me to connect to all aspects of my company even when being a remote employee.
ProsThis software helps me connect to certain aspects of my company that I am unable to obtain in Pennsylvania, that I would be able to in the North Carolina Office.
ConsMy computer is sometimes glitchy when my computer is off for too long, it sometimes does not allow me to connect to the VPN. Not many hiccups though.
Bob R.
CMO
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
July 30, 2019

“Finally a VPN that works!”

ProsThis software was easy to downloaded and worked every single time. I was able to use other software and apps while also using this.
ConsI felt that I could not leave the VPN on for too long.
July 30, 2019
Guillermo R.
University Professor in Telecommunications Enginee
May 7, 2018

“OpenVPN AccessServer allows users of our University to access remote resources reliably and securely”

Pros- As an administrator I consider it easy to configure - I believe that its behavior is very stable, given the different changes in the network - It is very helpful to explain the concepts of virtual private networks to students in their practices
Cons- Some users have indicated that the configuration from their homes is not easy - Online support should be improved
May 7, 2018
cristy E.
Software Engineer
Computer Software, Unspecified
August 1, 2018

“Fast connecting and secure.”

ProsOpen VPN server easy to install and easy to use. This is the best software that resolve my issues. Automatically get updates to secure connections. Reasonable price. I will recommend this VPN.
ConsI would suggest customer support should be available via chat or email and phone. Overall it's good and fast connecting VPN.
Thileepan K.
Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees
April 27, 2018

“ OpenVPN Access Server Safe name in networking”

OverallSecurely do my business
ProsOpenVPN Access Server is one of the Safe VPN servic. Using many bigest companies. Another one is reasonable price.
ConsOpenVPN Access Server is very secure. It's have many features and supporting major operating systems like that Windows, Android, Mac, Linux also
April 27, 2018
Hospital & Health Care, Unspecified
January 17, 2018

“Great VPN software that gives you that extra protection ”

ProsGenerally stable and excellent product. It is rock solid, secure and extremely reliable. Overall, a great product
ConsThe design could be better, it is a simple click button to connect/disconnect option. the latest update seems to have affected the performance, not as reliable as before.
January 17, 2018
Sean L.
Social Media Manager/Marketing & End-User Support
Internet, 11-50 employees
January 9, 2019

“Worked well for our needs as business grew. ”

OverallI would recommend this to anyone whose business is growing and have higher needs than a basic VPN. The price is worth it if you need a VPN. There are more than one option for solutions to work with Open VPN - AWS being one of them. Name recognition works for me.
ProsBetter for our needs as we became larger. It is more technical than our previous software (Tunnel Bear) but the options are more vast. You can find what fits your needs and budget. It isn't just one option for all needs and here's your price.
ConsIn the beginning, the technical side of it was overwhelming but it paid off when we got our needs met and found a price we could work with.
January 9, 2019
Travis O J.
Board Member
August 1, 2018

“Super simple VPN that is super cost effective. Everyone should have it”

Prossuper cheap for a lifetime plan. Super useful for developers who need to change their location for testing.
ConsThe interface is simple without any real use besides selecting server and turning on. Would like to see a bandwidth monitor, server cpu useage, etc...
Dale S.
DevOps
August 1, 2018

“Does what I need it to.”

OverallGood inexpensive vpn for a business.
ProsWe have been using it for a year for our office. It connection just fine and keep the connection for the most part.
ConsWe are getting a wire dns issues. We are not sure it is openvpn or our network connection that cause these issues.
Antonio U.
Network Tecnic
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
March 13, 2018

“Easy to use and very versatile!!!”

OverallConnect from the internet in a secure way
ProsThe installation is very easy, once configured you can add router tables in the ovpn.conf file to reach other networks
ConsIts configuration is a bit difficult, and it has very few instructions to do it, the TUN / TAP interface, if it is disabled, does not indicate
March 13, 2018
Mohit V.
VPN
May 5, 2019

“VPN TUNNEL ”

OverallSmooth
Pros- Good easy and handy - Connection establishment is easy and fast - cool verbosity while connecting - Shows almost everything on screen while connecting
ConsNothing I believe its small easy informative and best
May 5, 2019
Henk M.
Remote Technical Support Representative
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
October 26, 2018

“Endless configuration options s”

ProsThe amount of levels of privacy, types of security and other configurations make this a great product for anyone who knows exactly what they need for security.
ConsOpenVPN has a large learning curve involved as it's not necessarily ready "out of the box"
October 26, 2018
Esteban M.
Developer Team Lead
August 10, 2019

“Great tool to connect to vpn”

ProsReally easy to use. It's a simple tool that allows you to connect to a vpn in an easy way
ConsAs it is a reaaly simple tool I cannot mention anything negative of this app
August 10, 2019
Omar K.
Security Consultant
March 16, 2019

“OpenVPN”

OverallGood
Pros- Ease of use - Powerful and flexible - Supports cloud instances and virtual appliances
Cons- no GUI on openVPN - does not reconnect as it should have
March 16, 2019