Apache OpenOffice Ratings

Overall

About Apache OpenOffice

Open productivity suite that allows businesses of all sizes to create mathematical equations, manage databases, produce letters, multimedia presentations, diagrams, 3D illustrations, and more. Learn more about Apache OpenOffice

Barry B.
General Manager
Shipbuilding, 11-50 employees
September 11, 2019

“OpenOffice Calc - The Best Features of Excel - Without the Cost!”

OverallUsing OpenOffice Calc has been a very good experience overall. Though the interface is a bit different than Microsoft Excel, it is easy to learn, and the price is right.
ProsFile type compatibility, cost (free), advanced features comparable to Excel, ability to save files to Microsoft native formats such as PPT and PPTX.
ConsLack of templates compared to Excel, and the interface is bit less "polished" than what you would fine in Microsoft Excel; lack of export cross-support from accounting software
September 11, 2019
Sharon N.
Writer
August 1, 2019

“If you can't afford MS Office...”

OverallI've used it on numerous occasions to rescue and reformat corrupted files (particularly in its Word version), earning major kudos from students and clients in full panic mode that the CV or project they've put their heart into has been lost forever. Not so! Open Office rescued it. It loads quickly, can save in many different formats (more than MS Office) and is more adaptable. The portable copy has proved a lifesaver when out and about. I can plug it into any Windows computer and get to work immediately.
ProsOpen Office reminds me of the old MS Office, with a similar layout and ease of use. It's not as big a resource hog as MS Office and for basic use it's excellent. Being free certainly doesn't hurt! While I do have MS Office as well, I write first drafts in Open Office and then copy it across. Seeing the subtly different layout allows me to see errors that I missed before and since Open Office can be got as a portable app, I can take it anywhere on a memory stick, plug it in and get going. It saves to MS Office formats as well as its own proprietary ones, and you can set it to default to MS Office format if you want. It can often open files MS Office struggles with, allowing you to rescue corrupted documents and put them back into a format MS Office can read, so even if you have the expensive software having this as a backup is worth it for when things go wrong.
ConsDoesn't have all the bells and whistles of MS Office and sometimes you want to do something that in MS Office would be a breeze (like inserting page numbers) and in Open Office is a little more tricky, but there are tons of searchable help files and advice pages which means you can usually find a way.
August 1, 2019
Amit G.
Education Management, 1-10 employees
May 5, 2019

“Best Productivity Application and Alternate to Micrososoft”

OverallApache OpenOffice is really helping me in my business. It is saving us from everyday licensing issues of microsoft. This software is really complete peace of mind.
ProsI liked OpenOffice software because it fulfills all aspects of productivity applications. This is free of cost software provided by Apache foundation. Apache have provided software setup so that this software is easily getting installed on PC/Laptop. The software is compatible with microsoft office files and you can easily open/edit files microsoft files. OpenOffice is complete suite of office application which includes spreadsheet, word-processor, slides presentation applications and other important tools also. I liked its interoperability feature so that its files are easily supported across various platforms. I appreciate Apache Foundation for making such hassle free software which is giving benefits to masses.
ConsI am using Microsoft Office applications since a long so i am habitual to save files in Microsoft format like .docx,doc, .xlsx,xls, .pptx.ptt etc but while i save files in open-office, it b defaullt takes .ods/.ots/.odp format which sometime creates confusion and i have to save them in microsoft format so that while sharing to others they can easily understand that.
May 5, 2019
Ivis Coromoto H.
Analista de Planificaciòn, Presupuesto y Organizaciòn
May 2, 2018

“I use it in my office every work day to write information or do calculations among other things”

OverallThere are many benefits among which we can mention that it is a free software that can be downloaded directly from the Internet, it can be installed in other operating systems that are not Linux, it takes few resources from the team in terms of memory and space in disk unlike other programs that exist in the market, it is easily installed and has the same structure as Microsoft Office.
ProsI installed it on my home computer when I started using it to learn it and I was amazed that it was too fast to run, since this computer has very low performance and when loading other similar applications it takes a long time. What I like the most is that you do not need a large capacity to run in addition to being able to download it for free because it is not licensed.
ConsWhat I do not like is that it does not have all the advantages of functionality as far as tools are concerned and that it is not 100 percent compatible with Microsoft Office, which is a limitation when exchanging information between both programs. For example, with open office calc and excel lack many tools so that office calc is a hundred percent compatible with the case of macros that are made in excel. If a document made with macros in Microsoft excel is tried to load in open office would not be compatible.
May 2, 2018
Entertainment, Self-employed
August 24, 2019

“I Love OpenOffice!”

ProsI've used OpenOffice for YEARS now. There are so many things I love about it, it's hard to indicate just a few in one review. As a writer, I need a word processing software that, put simply, simple! OpenOffice has the capacity to do a LOT of complex things for other industries--like graphics, spreadsheets, presentations--and it can do everything Microsoft Office does, but I think the standout thing about OpenOffice is it never glitches on me (except maybe visually when I'm scrolling through an 500-page document) and it doesn't take up a lot of space on my computer so it always opens right away--as opposed to Microsoft Word which always takes forever to open and crashes on my Macbook Pro frequently. Also, OpenOffice is free.
ConsI don't have any complaints. Sometimes when I'm working with a 500/800 page document, the text sometimes glitches visually, but all I do is scroll up and down a bit and that fixes it.
August 24, 2019
Ross H.
Assistant lecturer, Graduate Assistant, PhD student
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
February 6, 2019

“A decent alternative to Microsoft if required”

OverallI like it. I tend to use Office myself but that's mostly because it is what is provided. I use OpenOffice occasionally just to keep me up to date with it so I can help students that are using it but this has meant that, with familiarity, I've reached the point where if I were paying the bill myself, I would absolutely look into deploying OpenOffice in my workplace.
ProsThe thing I like most about this product is probably the price. It's free and works well. Outside of this though I really like the development that has gone into OpenOffice. When it started out it was hideous, limited and buggy. More importantly compatibility with Office programs (e.g. Word and Excel) was incredibly iffy and lagged behind each update. There was very little reason to use OpenOffice aside from the price. Nowadays it still doesn't look great (it's better though!) but it's such an improved experience in terms of the rest of those issues. For example Writer does everything most will want from Word and I actually prefer the way that it handles pasting images and formatting tables. There are now legitimate reasons to choose OpenOffice in terms of the programs on offer, and if opensource is appealing then I'd recommend it as the default work-suite.
ConsOpenOffice suffers the same issues as most opensource software. It is written by people that have a very good understanding of coding and perhaps are not as good at UI or understanding how to ease relatively new users into an experience that differs to Word. OpenOffice generally works on the function over form approach and so the best that can be said of most of the offerings within is that they are "not hideous anymore" The UI is both stark in aesthetic and a little merciless for newcomers though; options are packed in and occasionally something requires a little more "under the hood" work to get going (e.g. getting the default list of recent documents to be longer can be a bit of a chore)
February 6, 2019
Sharon B.
Owner | Lead Designer
Design, Self-employed
July 8, 2019

“Does everything Excel does”

OverallI use this daily in my business by creating spreadsheets and other forms like timesheets, invoices, purchase orders...
ProsIt's free. I use it to replace Microsoft Excel and I have not run into anything yet that I can't do. However I only use it for time sheets, invoices, purchase orders and estimates with auto calculations.
ConsSometimes it can be hard to find out how to do something I want, but with a little perseverance I can usually find the answer.
July 8, 2019
Paul Z.
Senior ICT Specialist
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
September 15, 2019

“Fast, easy and free* office suite”

OverallSince the day office became more expensive, I started to search for an alternative which I found via a website which offered alternatives for paid software packages, I even started to implement this software is other non profit companies and they had to learn a bit but never regret it!
ProsIt does exactly the same as any other paid version of office, as a really small company we need to look at every euro, since we switched, we never looked back, because we don't need more than this office suite is giving!
ConsIts not perfect with writing to xlsx or docx, but who needs this? You normally export to PDF and you don't need these more compressed file types anyway.
September 15, 2019
Amanda N.
Character Artist
Graphic Design, Self-employed
December 8, 2018

“A good budget option for Office utilities”

OverallIt has been a lifesaver when other options are not at hand (no internet, or no budget to spend on fancier programs). I really like being able to search for templates online, and it was really helpful when making CVs that looked really professional.
ProsOpenOffice is a free open-source software that can be installed and used in just minutes. Its similarities to other softwares make it easy for users to adapt and learn how to use it quickly, so it becomes a great otion for low-budget situations. It has a suite of programs with different functionalities, including a word processor, sheets and database makers, presentation and slides software, even a drawing program. All of these are fairly standard and don't require intensive learning to start using, which is a great perk. A feature I like about OpenOffice is that you can create custom templates, and many people offer their own templates online for other users to check and modify, which makes it easy to start new projects based on what others have built before. It is also relatively easy to save the files in formats that can be opened in other programs, so that you can send them to colleagues who may not have OpenOffice in a way that they can still use and modify them.
ConsThe visual style of the programs can seem a bit crude, and sometimes it can bug out or take really long times to load. It can also have some formatting problems when taken to other applications (tables or figures might move around and it can be difficult to correct for these modifications in other softwares).
December 8, 2018
Rafael B.
Jefe del departamento de Oceanografia
March 15, 2018

“It is the best option, in terms of spreadsheets, that I have used as an alternative to excel. ”

OverallThe biggest benefit that OpenOffice has brought me is associated with its wide compatibility with different operating systems (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.), unlike other similar programs (like Microsoft), designed only to operate with only one type of operating system. That, added to the fact that it is free, makes its handling and installation in a good number of PC, very versatile.
ProsBoth in the case of OpenOffice and excel, I have notified the developers very specific problems with which I have found. In the case of OpenOffice the developers once they verified with the information that I sent, that the problem really existed, not only made the necessary adjustments to the program, but they contacted me back thanks for my contribution. In the case of Microsoft, that has never happened and when I have seen new versions I have verified that the problem I reported is still valid. It consumes far less machine resources than Microsoft software. (approximately half according to my estimates).
ConsAccepting the reality that most of the users (including my person) use mostly Microsoft software, it is necessary a period of adaptation to use the program, since the buttons, functions and general structure are presented with menus sometimes quite different from the excel, although we are fair: whenever you change the program, or version thereof, you need a period of adaptation to use it again efficiently. For me it is more important the fact that it "hangs up" from time to time, especially when you import and modify a document from Office. I have not asked why it happens, because it could be that it was even done on purpose, simply so that each time you use less the program of the competition, a strategy that is otherwise valid.
March 15, 2018
Christopher B.
Dental Hygienist/Tech Support
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
September 7, 2019

“Hands-Down the Best Productivity Software”

OverallI've used Apache OpenOffice for years. I used it when I was a college student until now at my current career. This year actually makes it 5 years that I've used Apache OpenOffice. Happy anniversary!
ProsThe best thing about Apache OpenOffice is that it's free, not to mention, that it offers the same office software that it's competitor Microsoft Office does. This software has every feature that you could think of and is so easy to use. I know that it may not be a deal breaker for a lot of people, but I even when downloading this software, it is so fast to download and you are able to select which Apache software to download onto your computer, even if it's just one, for example, OpenOffice Calc.
ConsThere's really nothing that I dislike about this software. I would have to sit and really think and just force something. This software is flawless.
September 7, 2019
Consumer Services, 51-200 employees
October 26, 2018

“Small business or penny-pinching private user, the best affordable alternative to Microsoft Office.”

ProsFor those that love Microsoft Office and its indispensable status as the required software suite for business, but hate having to pay an outrageous price tag. I've been using OpenOffice since back when it was OpenOffice.org, and it was and still is mind blowing how a software suite that basically did nearly everything Microsoft Office could do could also be free of charge.
ConsCompatibility issues are the biggest concern. If you originally created a document in Microsoft Word or Excel and then try to open it in the equivalent software within OpenOffice, you may get a red flag that not everything will transfer correctly. Likewise, those that are used to Microsoft Office and its features may occasionally find that OpenOffice doesn't do EVERYTHING Microsoft Office does, at least for now. For instance, the ability to freeze panes in Excel was a useful feature that OpenOffice Writer didn't replicate until later on.
October 26, 2018
Education Management, 51-200 employees
September 25, 2018

“Awesome! The same as Microsoft Products!”

OverallI use this software just like I would Microsoft to help write letters collect data and keep me accountable. This software has been a huge help, especially when I did not have the budget for Microsoft and have been true to open office ever since.
ProsNeed I say more, this is by far the best product out there. I started using open office several years ago when I didn't have the budget for Microsoft office, excel, word, etc. This software is free and is identical to Microsoft. The best part is when you are ready to save it gives you an option that converts it to a Microsoft formst so it can be opened anywhere on any computer. This is definitely by far an amazing program that allows you to accomplish so much from writing letters, to data sheets like excel, to creating presentations. It does pretty much the same thing but all for free, how can you ask for more?
ConsThere really is no cons to this program, as it does so much for a free application.
Information Technology and Services, 5001-10,000 employees
September 6, 2018

“Best Microsoft Office Word and PowerPoint, Open Source Alternative”

OverallThe product is easy to use, economical and a great resource for a company short on immediate funds for a paid license(s) to similar software.
ProsThe price for OpenOffice is unbeatable at free. My first favorite component of this suite is OpenOffice Writer. It carries enough features to enable a user to write and maintain an immense document, such as a novel, easily. In order to make an OpenOffice Writer document compatible with Word, simply save the .odt file as .doc. OpenOffice Impress is my second favorite software in the bundle and can be used to create very nice presentations. It is also a bit easier for a tech newbie to work with vs PowerPoint.
ConsOpenOffice Math has a con. Simply because it is not something I would need or use often. Saying this, if I did need to use it rarely, it is a bit time consuming to justify learning for a use greater than once or twice use every two - three years.
September 6, 2018
Eduin C.
ANALISTA III
April 13, 2018

“It is a good program that is very manageable in data processing, in addition to being a free option.”

ProsThe best thing about the OpenOffice program is that it can be downloaded and used completely free of charge without paying licenses, it is released under a license. This means that any commercial, educational, and public administration project can be installed on as many computers as possible. since you can make copies and distribute them without any expense, it is easy to install and very manageable, OpenOffice is completely accessible for beginners, it is simpler than updating to Microsoft Office 2007. Since OpenOffice is a unique and complete software program, everything works articulately between the different applications. Even the help system is the same for everything. You do not need to know which application has been used to create a document, it will always be used correctly. So simple that with a single download from the Internet or installing it from a CD you will have a multipurpose tool in your home or office.
ConsIt can be said that he lost the rhythm of the updates, and no progress has been seen in his evolution, likewise he makes greater use of memory and CPU since it is heavier and wider than other programs and this has the consequence that work slower.
April 13, 2018
MICHAEL H.
Content Creator
Entertainment, Self-employed
June 13, 2019

“Awesome alternative to Microsoft Office”

OverallI started using Open Office in college. I was over at a friend's house and we were working on a project but he did not have Microsoft Office. I had heard people talk about Open Office, but to be honest I was a Microsoft fanboy. But that's an easy life when you are not directly responsible for paying for it. My friend downloaded and installed Open Office and we were able to create access the saved data files from class. No longer in college, and solely responsible for my finances, I have ditched the fanboy attire, and now I wear the FREE is for ME lifestyle.
ProsThe thing I like the most about Open Office is that it is a FREE alternative to Microsoft Office.
ConsThe thing I like the least about Open Office is trying to figuring how to do tasks that I am familiar with Microsoft Office, but I will say that Open Office did a wonderful job on the icons. Their similarities to Microsoft Office's icons and icon placement does help out alot.
June 13, 2019
Maryelis B.
Jefe del Departamento de Análisis Social
March 26, 2018

“It is the best free spreadsheet software! It has everything I need for my job. It's free!”

OverallIt is the best free alternative that can be found, with OpenOffice Calc you will not have problems when making your works in spreadsheets and do not worry about the compatibility with other software, it can be highly compatible. And the best thing about this is that it's free!
ProsIt works on different Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. It's assistant functions is quite friendly and similar to other softwares, you can also pivot table with a friendly assistant. It has advanced functions such as VLOOKUP and conditional formatting. Read different types of files including xls, xlsx and csv.
ConsThe visual interface I do not like, it is not updated to new trends. It has been installed with the OpenOffice suite. The graphics that are generated are of low quality. There is not much documentation of the problems, when one appears it is hard.
Dobromir H.
Online Tax Agent
Accounting, 501-1000 employees
April 28, 2018

“Great free office solution”

ProsI started using it while I was a student and it helped me a lot with all projects and presentations. I use mainly Apache OpenOffice Writer,Calc, Impress and Math. I use it on Windows(however, it's available for Mac and Linux) and it has good integration with my OS. It's free software, a great substitute for the paid versions. It has good functionality and compatibility with the different file types. I love that there are a ton of extensions that can be downloaded for free. Apache OpenOffice is not heavy and runs smoothly. It's perfect for personal/ non-commercial use.
ConsI found only one con of Apache OpenOffice and this is the software design. It reminds me of 1999 MS office, however it's free and I do not ask for more.
April 28, 2018
Ishmum R.
Site Installer
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
October 15, 2019

“Awesome software, please consider a donation!”

OverallThere is no other software I would recommend if someone is looking for a free office suite that works out of the box in minutes. The features are unparalleled and everyone needs to give it a shot before paying for potentially more expensive software.
ProsThe software is very handy and best of all it is FREE. Takes away all the stress of installing a massive office suite with unneeded programs in it (Won't mention the name here). Fast to load, takes a small amount of space and is easy to uninstall parts if you need to.
ConsThe writer software could use some work with custom fonts--Sometimes, they will not appear on the software at all for some reason. I used a font called Roboto and it won't register. Wonder why.
October 15, 2019
Matthew A.
Administrative Aide
Government Administration, 1001-5000 employees
November 26, 2018

“My Go-To Office Suite at Home”

OverallI selected 10 on the "likely to recommend" scale because I have already recommended this amazing, free resource to dozens of people.
Pros1. It's free. 2. It does basically everything MS Office can, for free. 3. Each new iteration becomes more user-friendly and incorporates greater options and functionality, for free. 4. The software is open-source, contributing to a more collaborative and equitable internet... for Free.
ConsOO can be somewhat clunkier than Office, especially in trying to use more advanced functions in some of the sub-apps, and some advanced functions that MS products have just are not there (but that's very few!). I also dislike that everyone who struggles to turn out nice documents in WordPad doesn't already know about OpenOffice.
November 26, 2018
Estefanie Arlet M.
Analista de Personal
May 22, 2018

“With Apache OpenOffice I have everything I need in a single software for free.”

OverallApache OpenOffice has become a great alternative to other brands and since its creation has improved significantly. When I discovered it I suggested it to my work team and I constantly receive congratulations for the good choice we made with the implementation of this software. Apache OpenOffice has everything you need in an office.
ProsApache OpenOffice has many advantages, among which are its gratuity and the possibility it offers to make extensions and modifications to the software. In my office, the free software proposal has been interesting and we have progressively migrated to Apache OpenOffice for multiple reasons. It is a very interesting program that I want to recommend because of the great experience we have had with it.
ConsAmong the few disadvantages that I find in Apache OpenOffice, there is the compatibility problem that sometimes occurs with other office packages that causes the margins not to be in the same place or the tabulations to move.
May 22, 2018
March 26, 2019

“OpenOffice Review”

OverallLike I've just said I've used this for about 17 years now and I got the latest version and I love using it. Has everything I need. Can't find anything to complain about. I highly recommend this for writers who don't want to pay the high price for Word.
ProsI like that this document writer is easy to use. I like that fact I can use Dragon Naturally Speaking program with it when my hands are bothering me or just don't want to type the old fashion way. It had a read-aloud tool plus word count that I use often.
ConsI've used this program for 17 years now and I can't find anything wrong with it. It has just about everything that Word has. Sometimes you just have to look for it or youtube it. But I've found everything I need so far in this word document.
March 26, 2019
Sagar R.
Subject Matter Expert
Insurance, 11-50 employees
September 26, 2018

“OpenOffice is best open source software ever”

OverallI was Microsoft Office user once upon a time and couldn't imagine living without it. But then we decided to go open source way and came across OpenOffice. I am using OpenOffice for more than 5 years now. At first, it felt different than Office but more I used OpenOffice I got good at it and since then never felt the need of going back to Microsoft Office again. It has all the bells and whistles at free of cost. People often complain that they can't use shortcut keys they are used to, but if you Google you will find alternative shortcut keys for the same thing. Agreed it does not have jazzy GUI, but do you want functionality or looks? I just love OpenOffice now and I recommend it to everyone very strongly.
ProsEase to use All features you would expect Fast & responsive All shortcut keys work
ConsNone. I like its down-to-earth UI which other people frown upon.
September 26, 2018
Paola P.
Sales Dep
May 1, 2018

“The best spreadsheet tool out there”

ProsI love this software. I install this software on every machine I use before I even think about opening a spreadsheet file. I just think it is user-friendly, easy to use, clean, and it does the trick. It is free! That's the best part if we forget that it works seamlessly and never freezes my system like other similar tools do. Presentations are easy to create. I just can't understand the clogged interphase of other software tools after using Open Office. I always go back to it.
ConsNo cons; other than an occasional compatibility issue between Microsoft Word or Excel, but I wouldn't blame that on Open Office, to be honest! It's a great tool and I'm a big fan. Would never switch at this point.
May 1, 2018
Nathaly B.
Personal docente
February 19, 2018

“I use it in all aspects related to my work, it is easy to use, effective and free ”

OverallI have done very complex works in an easy way, I have had very colorful and efficient presentations, as well as, I have done many graphics in Calc, when I have had doubts I have received technical support and I have expanded my opportunities by downloading the extensions, it is an office suite very complete and wonderful
ProsIt allows me to fulfill my work tasks efficiently and with good appearance, it exports my PDF documents very easily, it has many work templates, it does not take up much space on my hard drive, it has many extensions that I can download when I need it and It is always in constant update and I do not have to pay the license
ConsIt occupies a lot of RAM so it was a bit slow, the compatibility of text files with respect to Microsoft Word shows weaknesses
February 19, 2018
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
January 7, 2019

“I actually prefer it to MS Office”

ProsThis is an intuitive suite of applications, with all of the same functionality as MS office. I initially downloaded this as I did not have a license for MS, and did not want to pay an exorbitant amount of money to word process. Over the years, however, I have grown to prefer OpenOffice to MS office entirely. It's easier to use, the layout is (to me) more intuitive, there are a wide array of file types I can save my documents as, and it's all open source, which can't be beat. It'll get you where you need to go and it'll do it well.
ConsPerhaps my only issue was the default saving as an openoffice file type, but that's easily changed. Otherwise no complaints!
January 7, 2019
Anthony A.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 5, 2019

“Perfect Office Software”

OverallI love using open office. I use MS office at work since it is installed, but at home, I use open office. It's compatible with MS Office anyways.
ProsThis software is surprisingly great. I prefer to use this over MS office. It just seems to work better for all of my office needs. It just works! Loads fast, has great options for spreadsheet software, and it's easy to find assistance via Google search when you need help. Perfect for the home office!
ConsI am not sure of any cons other than maybe support. The formulas for the spreadsheet do use some different characters for things like the "Concat" function, which may cause confusion for people switching from MS office.
April 5, 2019
Heidi H.
Blogger
March 19, 2019

“Most Recent Version Crashes Constantly Leading to Lost Work”

OverallMy overall experience, until it seemingly somehow led to my computer now being unable to start, has actually been great. I've been using OpenOffice for many years and never really had a problem until the last few months, as the crashing has been increasing to be more and more frequent. I really like the user interface and features overall. It's been a wonderful program until just recently.
ProsI've been using Open Office Writer and Calc for years. I like the features and user interface. Some features are better than features found in Microsoft Word. For example, you can add multiple columns to a table at once; this is not in Word and it's very convenient and helpful feature when working on a table, and I find changing the text from all caps to no caps etc. easier for some reason in Writer although they are almost identical. Almost everything that is in Word is in Writer. Besides the options of the search function, I have never felt like there was a feature that is in Word that I needed and didn't have in Writer. In Writer, the one issue is that Search feature is very difficult to learn to use. If you want to do anything slightly complicated, you have to go learn specifically how to enter it and that can take some time digging online. I have never figured out how to replace two paragraph marks with one, as an example. I do like Microsoft Excel better than Calc because I find it a lot easier to figure out how to write functions using the prompts in Excel than in Calc; I find trying to do more complex functions in Calc extremely frustrating and infuriating.
ConsThis latest version has been crashing a lot. In the last few weeks, I've lost a lot of work. When it crashes, you can lose up to 15 minutes of writing, depending on when it last auto-saved. This has been painful as I've had to re-write some important documents that I had already gotten mostly written. What happened just now is I included a word - a science word - that was not in the dictionary. I right clicked on the word and added it to the dictionary so it would not be underlined as a spelling error. The program hung. I panicked as I had just written a lot so I clicked save. The program froze - and I lost 3 documents. But this time, I could not shut OpenOffice down. Not even by going into Task Manager and clicking End Task would it shut down. I waited probably 45 minutes and then shut down the computer so that it would terminate OpenOffice. Now my laptop won't boot up and goes to a black screen. Now, maybe my laptop has an issue. This could be the case. But, I resent the fact that, whatever issue my laptop may have had, OpenOffice interfaced with it in such a way that now I don't have access to my computer anymore. Now I have to go buy a usb drive and put Windows 10 Installation on it and then troubleshoot my PC. OK, so I don't know if this was OpenOffice's fault - but, it was the only unusual thing that happened before my laptop died. Also, the fact remains that the program has been crashing CONSTANTLY, on both my pcs, for the smallest things. That is very concerning.
March 19, 2019
Ina-Eliza G.
Administrator
Insurance, 11-50 employees
August 28, 2019

“It works great for my needs”

OverallApache OpenOffice was a solution for me when we acquired on more computer. I did not have to pay to get Microsoft Office (again). I am using it the same as I am using Microsoft Office, without a problem. Really happy with it.
ProsI like that is for free and I still can do what I need to do. I used (and I am still using on some devices) Microsoft Office, but it was very easy to switch to OpenOffice: I write, save, send documents without problems. Maybe at the begginig, you need some time to get used to the interface, but this is not a big deal.
ConsThe differences that are between OpenOffice Calc and Excel. I thought that OpenOffice is similar in everything to Microsoft Office, so this was a surprise for me, as my job requires working in Excel. But it was not a problem, in the end, to learn it.
August 28, 2019
Ted d.
Consultant
Public Safety, Self-employed
December 13, 2018

“This IS my office suite”

OverallGreat - like I said - its my office suite. Anything I do that it can do, I use Open Office. Often others I collaborate with use WORD and I have to read/edit and return these documents so that they can then use what I send back. I've done this for clients and for work with committees for writing national standards and the interchange is nearly transparent. As mentioned above only recently have I have problems with advanced mathematical formulas from a DOCX file.
ProsIt has all the Office Suite elements and its FREE. It also reasonably supports many file formats since I often have to use it to read documents from others in their format.
ConsIt could do a better job with importing complicated formulas from a DOCX file.
December 13, 2018
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
August 6, 2018

“Amazing Office Solution”

OverallIt's solved having office applications on several different machines that rotate out at intermittent times and that don't have a need for a full fledged Microsoft Office installation.
ProsThis is by far one of my favorite programs. I use several different computers for my job and I need an office application on each of the four different PC's I have to switch back and forth on each day. Saves a lot of money in the IT budget and has the same functionality as Microsoft Office and is a bit more flexible.
ConsI really have nothing negative to say about OpenOffice. It's free and does a great job. Maybe one downfall is that there isn't a replacement for Outlook.
August 6, 2018
Jason D.
July 5, 2018

“I've been using Apache Open Office for years instead of Microsoft Word and Excel. ”

ProsFree, and it can do 95% of what Microsoft Word or Excel can do - even open up Word or Excel docs and save them in Word or Excel format as well. When I've had a computer go bad or bought an additional one, all I have to do is download Open Office for free - instead of buying the Microsoft Office stuff all over again, so never going back now.
ConsThe picture framing options in Word is all I really miss, like oval shape and soft edges. I haven't missed anything in Calc too much although the cell comment feature is a little different and slightly harder to use if you want to change the size of the comment ballon.
July 5, 2018
Libio L.
Analista de Sistemas
April 21, 2018

“Office solution in one place.”

OverallI can install it on low-level computers and I do not have to pay expensive licenses.
ProsExcellent set of programs that allows me to work any file related to office automation (Spreadsheets, Word Processor, Design of presentations, Generation of flow charts and flowcharts, Home database, etc.) very easy to install and use. It can be installed in any operating system (Window, Linuz or Mac)
ConsThere is very little to say about weaknesses, as many benefits are obtained with this suite. But there is a detail that must be solved, such as the loss of format of files from other similar programs. Sometimes you have to redo them, since they distort a lot.
April 21, 2018
Ben S.
IT Consultant
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
April 30, 2019

“Great Open Source Alternative to Office”

OverallGreat Office Suite for Linux users!
ProsFirst and foremost is the freedom of this software. It is open-source and free in terms of cost. This means that the program has many eyes and talented individuals contributing to make it better and that it is available for free. A prime reason why I like OpenOffice is that it can be installed cross platform. Linux doesn't natively support Microsoft Office Products so this is a great alternative when working on a Linux machine or on Windows if cost is a factor. All the functionality one would expect from a Office Suite is here and ready to be used.
ConsTwo concerns, first is the overall look of the software. It feels dated using it and its UI clunky compared to other options but once you get the hang of it, it works fine. The second is that there are still some compatibility issues between this and Microsoft Office products though this is not OpenOffices fault alone, its hard to match between two separate products that are being independently developed. Double check anything when going between platforms and you'll be just fine.
April 30, 2019
Kevin B.
Software Developer
Building Materials, 1001-5000 employees
November 7, 2018

“A good Free substitute for Microsoft Office”

OverallThis is good enough for the kids school work and what little I do at home. It is free so there is no cost to try it out. I have been frustrated at times with saving to Microsoft Office formats and not see the same result in Microsoft Office and also opening Microsoft Office files that did not come in as expected at times. Still it only requires a little bit of cleanup work for either scenario and is manageable to me.
ProsIt is free. It provides same suite of software as Microsoft Office with most of the same features or similar features. It can open the same file types as Microsoft Office.
ConsIt is not Microsoft Office. It sometimes messes up the formating of documents that were created in Microsoft Office and then opened in OpenOffice. Usually you can fix the formating and work from it but it is a bother. They have their own proprietary file formats. Also if you save to a Microsoft Office file format from OpenOffice you cannot be guaranteed it will look the same in Microsoft Office.
November 7, 2018
Justin F.
Administrative Assistant
Construction, 1-10 employees
March 10, 2018

“Much easier to use than microsoft word and also free, open sorce so always improving.”

OverallBetter user experience and easier for the user to navigate than other programs, also totally free.
ProsThe freedom and ability to do more than one can with Microsoft products. This program is similar but actually easier to use, and also free of charge. Open source program, by the users, for the users.
ConsOnly con I have is that if you have that akward employee or friend or classmate or whoever that insists on using microsoft(pity them) the programs do not easily read the other programs files on the computer, however there is no issue converting it on my phone(Android) for whatever reason.
March 10, 2018
Jeffrey M.
Software Security Analyst
Insurance, 5001-10,000 employees
March 21, 2019

“Good alternative on opensource environments for report writing. ”

ProsYou get the full office suite required to be productive especially if you need to be able to create documents on the fly whilst testing. An added bonus is that well known file types are supported. This allows work documentation to be able to be read on test environment or if your main system is linux. This product has Linux, Windows and OSX( Mac) support. System resources are used sparingly which makes this software ideal for dated machines.
ConsFiles are automatically saved but once corrupted, there is no easy way to recover. Other than that , there arent many cons to the product. Does exactly as its supposed to. Another tool to make static documents manageable.
March 21, 2019
Nathan M.
Reports Developer
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
October 3, 2018

“Best option for free Office Software”

OverallOverall, this has been a great freeware option, and I also run it on all of my Linux machines by default. The programs, when compared to MS Office, are a little slow to load, but otherwise work in a similar fashion and have the majority of the features that come with a premium suite.
ProsThe price - it's free and has 80% of the features of other premium Office suites. And the features it does have are the ones I use most for the various document formats.
ConsIt lacks built in support for docx, pptx, xlsx, formats, so document compatibility between Open Office and MS Office can be a challenge.
October 3, 2018
April C.
Author
Publishing, Self-employed
July 9, 2019

“Fantastic software for all your office needs!”

OverallI've used OpenOffice in a few different settings. I worked for an RV company where I was first introduced to Apache OpenOffice and used the spreadsheets to keep track of different jobs and tracking information lists. I was amazed to learn that OpenOffice was not only free but offered a lot of the same applications as the competition. Now, as an independent author, I use OpenOffice all the time! I'm on a budget, so having OpenOffice is a real lifesaver for my wallet. But on top of that, they don't skimp out on the quality or the ability to save your work in multiple formats, making documents acceptable no matter what kind of software the person you're sending your projects to uses. I call that a win all the way around and I absolutely recommend OpenOffice all the time to other writers and people I talk to in general!
ProsEasy to use. Free to download. Multiple applications. Can save in different formats.
ConsThe app for android isn't completely free, but other than that if you're using it on a PC, I have not one bad word to say about it!
July 9, 2019
Scot Z.
Business Owner
Photography, Self-employed
September 25, 2018

“Incredible Tool for a Small Business”

OverallI use OpenOffice daily for word processing, page layout (promotional documents, DVD inserts,etc.), book writing/publishing, and for spreadsheets to track my expenses and income. Since my business has just started, I am very thankful to not be incurring a monthly subscription fee (or a sizeable purchase price) in order to do these things that are essential to operating my small business. Thank you Apache!
ProsEase of use, Similar features as costly software, Compatibility with other software, Free usage is a big help to my business start-up
ConsI have not run into any cons with this software
Karlyn G.
PhD Student
Higher Education, 10,001+ employees
September 13, 2018

“Free, Useful Suite”

ProsI like that OpenOffice is free - I've used it for years as an alternative to the Microsoft Office Suite, and it's a fine alternative, although it's definitely not perfect
ConsI hate that the default file type is their own, not .doc/.ppt/whatever the standard extensions are. I've also had some issues with formatting (ie bullet points save as question marks inside of boxes rather than bullet points). But overall, these downsides are worth it because the package is free.
September 13, 2018
Ovadias A.
Analista
May 3, 2018

“I use it daily in my work and in my house since it facilitates my tasks”

ProsIt is a replica of Microsoft word with some differences. It's quick I can use it on my personal computer computer which is very limited in terms of its memory and disk resources. In my work we have it installed with Ubuntu. I can do my daily tasks since it has the same tools as Microsoft Office with only different names for example Excel would be equivalent to Calc and so on with the others.
ConsDespite the efforts made in this free software has limitations in terms of compatibility is concerned because when for example you import a Word document that has many formats to make the conversion this is not one hundred percent good.
May 3, 2018
Jessica P.
Writer
August 5, 2019

“Pleased Customer”

OverallI'm an author, but like most upcoming artists, saving money is important to me. I felt I was able to do with this great software!
ProsI thought I was going to have to spend so much money to get a similar suite that is Office. When I found OpenOffice, I loved it just as much, if not more.
ConsI don't have many dislikes. If there were things I didn't know how to do, I've learned how to do them by now, really just by playing around. It's very user-friendly.
August 5, 2019
Matthew L.
Engineer
Government Administration, 501-1000 employees
May 15, 2019

“A nice alternative to Microsoft Word”

ProsBasic version is free and a more easily customizable version of Microsoft Word. Documents created in OpenOffice are generally translatable into Microsoft Word and other document programs without too much hassle or format loss.
ConsNative files sometimes don't read well by other document programs like Microsoft Word so you're better off just using OpenOffice for all document projects or importing other document formats into OpenOffice.
May 15, 2019
John T.
Member, Board of Directors
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
June 28, 2019

“The only office program you'll ever need”

OverallMy experience has been exceptional with this product. I consider it superior to Microsoft Office.
ProsDoes everything Microsoft Office can do without the annual fees. It also works with a wider range of file types. I use it to create the newsletter for a local non-profit organization. Easy integration of graphics, graphs, and even embedded video. Solid PDF creator, too. Great for creating PowerPoint Presentations. I'm continually impressed by the quality of this product.
ConsThere is a learning curve involved. It takes a week of practice and playing around to be proficient with OpenOffice. Also, the fact it default saves text documents as an ODF file makes it difficult to share with Apple users unless you manually choose another file type when you save a document.
June 28, 2019
Liz W.
Photographer
Photography, Self-employed
September 10, 2018

“OpenOffice, free alternative to Microsoft Office”

OverallOverall, my experience with OpenOffice has been great. I am a small business owner, and there's nothing I can't do for my business using this software. I use it to create spreadsheets, invoices, receipts, and other miscellaneous documents. I don't experience hiccups with the software and I have yet to find missing features that I would otherwise use. And, of course, it is always free.
ProsWhat I like most about Apache OpenOffice is that it's free and fully functional. I purchased an Apple laptop which did not come with Microsoft Office, and not wanting to purchase the latter, OpenOffice was the perfect substitute. Anything that I could or would do with Microsoft Office, I can do in OpenOffice.
ConsWhat I like least about OpenOffice is that its default format is .ODF, so when opening .DOC documents, I do experience some format incompatibility.
September 10, 2018
Emmy W.
manager
May 31, 2018

“Great to use!”

ProsThis is an excellent and affordable program to use! It comes with many different programs such as calc, draw, impress, writer, and many more. In my line of work i often use all the programs in combination with a spreadsheet from another program to keep track of everything.
ConsI wish Open Office included a spreadsheet program in their downloads, i could then do all my job tasks in one area through one program.
May 31, 2018
Dylan E.
Software Programmer and Security Officer
May 10, 2018

“Best free-to-use office suite, which almost stacks up to the paid competitors”

OverallIt is a great alternative to MS Office when that is not available due to the OS of the system or the costs involved. It allows me to have a very similar feel to MS Office, without the licensing issues.
ProsThe software is completely free and a lot smaller in disk size than its main competitor, Microsoft Office. It also has almost the same set of applications and functionalities as MS Office (as far as I use it). It can also run on any type of OS, which is great for Mac/Linux users.
ConsThe interface looks a little antiquated compared to its competitors. Also I dislike the OpenOffice native file formats, which cannot be imported in many other applications. I have also encountered some bugs when opening files in OpenOffice that were made in MS Office , or vice versa; lay-out would be distorted and images removed.
May 10, 2018
Carlos R.
Head of Industrial Metrology Lab
March 26, 2018

“Similar to Office, easy to use, the low cost option for yours documents.”

ProsWill permit make almost all the Office make, only formats complex (many borders and tables. specific paragraph configuration, etc) are difficult to elaborate. For personal, small and medium company its a MUST BE for efficient and fast work.
ConsIt posible to had any compatibility problems to open Office documents with complex formatting, its the only and mayor problem for this software in my opinion.
February 7, 2018

“I have used Open Office for over 5 years and I would never switch back to any other software.”

OverallI get everything any other office software offers but it is absolutely free.
ProsThis software is absolutely free! The best thing about OpenOffice is that there is little to no compromise when it comes to features and functionality. Why pay for something when ApacheOffice offers it at no cost?
ConsAlthough you can do anything with OpenOffice that you can with other software, I wish specifically that assigning hotkeys to your styles was easier to do.
February 7, 2018