LedgerLite Ratings

Overall

About LedgerLite

LedgerLite is an award-winning shareware accounting system for any organization that needs a general ledger or cashbook. Because it's incredibly easy to download and use, it's ideal for students of double-entry bookkeeping. If you're familiar with double-entry bookkeeping you'll find LedgerLite is the perfect tool to maintain the books of a business, club or trust, or your personal finances, especially if reliability and privacy are important to you. Learn more about LedgerLite

Phyllis P.
Ranching, Self-employed
February 6, 2018

“Fantastic customer service, available to help with questions & issues. Aptly named Responsive. ”

Overallcost savings, frees up my time on bookkeeping and reporting, customer service is excellent
ProsAffordable, one time fee, not tied to monthly fees or exhorbitant costs, is a true double entry bookkeeping system, does not require you to be on the internet to use it (other than to download it or to get help), files are stored in your own computer or storage device. Can be used from year to year without paying additional costs. Can be tailored to fit your individual business needs. A great software package. I am very happy to have found this. I had just about given up finding a simple double entry bookkeeping software to the point that I set up my own books on spread sheets because I absolutely refuse to become a slave to companies charging monthly fees and that requires internet use. My own spread sheet system was so time consuming - but LedgerLite has freed me up from labor intensive bookkeeping and I'm happy, happy! Just set up your named accounts and make your entries, then generate reports, i.e. income statement, trial balance, etc. The best thing is the customer support! THANK YOU LedgerLite for developing this program and being readily available to answer questions.
ConsThe options for entries (NEW, EDIT, SAVE) are located at the bottom of the page which are not readily visible on my computer requiring me to scroll down for each entry to complete the transaction. It would be more convenient if the options were located at top of page eliminating the need to scroll down the page to complete the entry. Nonetheless, this is a great accounting program that I have been searching for for several years.

By Responsive Software on February 17, 2018
The screen can be resized by holding the mouse cursor over the bottom edge until it changes to a double-headed arrow. You can then click and drag to resize the screen in the vertical direction.
February 6, 2018
Raed D.
laboratory director
January 26, 2018

“I own a small lab in Kuwait, I couldn't bear the cost of an accountant. ledger lite was the solution”

Proseasy to use, customer support (TeamViewer, email, live chat, telephone), continuous development, design your income statement the way you like, calculate depreciation, cost of sales, balance sheet, trial balance, ledger website taught me the accounting theory. when I show it to accountants their first impression is that it's impossible to have all these features f only but when start using it, they will like it comparing to the complicated expensive systems they're using. multiuser feature, user can be administrator or viewer. hide zero Accounts, easy to create new accounts and their types.
Consshould be able to export reports to Excel, pdf,.. not only CSV. not able to create the accounting tree according to the accountants i.e. 001 Accounts receivables 0011 clinic x 0012 clinic y 002 Accounts payable 0021 supplier x 0022 supplier y (maybe it can but I don't know how to do it)

By Responsive Software on February 18, 2018
LedgerLite will allow you to export any report to CSV format. This is compatible with Excel. In LederLite you can print to any Windows printer driver including PDF drivers. The accounting tree can be created on the Balance Sheet or Income Statement by using a Group to put related accounts together as though they were a single account.
January 26, 2018
Umair J.
Accounts Manager
Business Supplies and Equipment, 11-50 employees
February 15, 2018

“It's been great experience already, and surely it will continue”

Overallit made accounting so accurate and meaniful for us.
ProsEasy to use, meets customization requirement specific to our company bookkeeping requirements. It saves a lot of hassle that other accounting systems we tried in past had in common. Truly bookkeeping made easy. Masterpiece!
Conswell not really. It gets better every time with the software updates. Would have been out of the world if there was auto backup facility!

By Responsive Software on February 18, 2018
LedgerLite keeps all its data in a single LLD database file. To backup all you need do is make a copy of this file to a USB stick or external hard drive. It's a good idea to copy both the LLD file and the program LedgerLite.EXE file. All you need to run LedgerLite on any Windows computer is these two files. We don't provide an automatic backup facility because it is a specialised area beyond our expertise. We suggest a dedicated backup program to ensure all your important data is kept secure in case of loss or failure. We also suggest you regularly check to ensure you can restore data from your backups if necessary. It is an excellent idea to create multiple copies of important data and store these in various locations. It's a risk to rely on a single backup copy. (LedgerLite allows you to password-protect your data.) THE LEDERLITE PHILOSOPHY - THE SECURITY OF YOUR DATA IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY - LEDGERLITE MAKES IT POSSIBLE - WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY.
Johnson Z.
February 26, 2018

“Simple And Easy Software for Small Businesses (Using for 3 years now since old ledger)”

ProsBiggest pro is simplicity. You can take the software around with you on a pen drive. It fits well with the requirement of a small business like us. No unnecessary complexity. One difficultly I had that was fixed in new Ledger is that now any account book can be downloaded to csv file.
ConsFew more features like search would be nice. Also feature to print out various accounts (not balance sheet or PNL statement) between specified dates

By Responsive Software on February 26, 2018
To print an account statement for any specified period is quite straight-forward. First set the Viewing Period on the Workstation Configuration screen to the date range required. Then go to the Accounts screen, select the account from the drop-down and click on the Print button. There is a Find button on the Accounts screen and the Cashbooks screen that allows you to search for a string within the Description field.
James R.
Managing member
Real Estate, Self-employed
February 15, 2018

“I am delighted with LedgerLite. I recommend it to others and use it myself for three companies.”

OverallAfter using other software, I found LedgerLite to have almost no learning curve to get up and running. It never breaks down (no bugs). It is nice to be able to talk with the software engineer who created the program. Daily data entry is done with ease and as few keystrokes as possible. The reports can be designed for whatever period I want to see or share.
ProsLedgerLite is as simple to use as anything you could imagine. This is possible, probably, because it is a General Ledger only. It does not have Payroll, Inventory or other modules with which it has to integrate. But for me, since I don't need those things, it is perfect. The one-time price is perfect, too. Tech support, if you ever need it, is also very available. As long as I need General Ledger only, I can't imagine using any other accounting software.
Martin M.
Site Administrator
February 25, 2018

“I've used LedgerLite accounting software for over two years and we hold it in the highest regards.”

ProsSpeed: It's super fast even on old computers. Ease-of-use: it's very simple to set up and use. This Double Entry accounting system manages all the debits and credits of your business and keeps everything in balance. Lots of fail safe systems to make sure you do everything right. Most of all, it's fun to use. That's right, this double entry accounting system is pleasurable to use because it gives you a deeper understanding of your business finances. You'll make better financial decisions when you know how it will affect the key numbers of your business. Having good support behind it never hurts either. All my questions have always been answered in a timely fashion.
Cons.
Shanaka R.
Senior Assistant Bursar
March 8, 2018

“It is a good experience using the ledgerlite. It is easy to use and reliable. ”

ProsIt easy to use. We can also make corrections easyly. It is very reliable and data is also secure. It is also very flexible to use and make reports. The date easyly can convert to exel format. It is a good software's i am using thid programme to keep accouts for one of my forign funded project. I managed to keep accounts successfully during past 3 years. I recomend this softwaer for any party. I like mast,we can create our own chart of account fit to our requirement.
ConsUsing trial balance is little bit confusing. When we select a period for a trial balance it give the tb for entire period. Example, i have been using ledgerlite for about more than 3 yrars. But if i want to get a tb for spe ific period it cant make. It always gives the bances from the date we began the accounting. So some timely i feel difficult.

By Responsive Software on March 9, 2018
Historically the reason for the trial balance report was to ensure the accounts were in balance. With LedgerLite the accounts are guaranteed to balance (you can't post an entry that doesn't balance.) The trial balance shows all account balances as at a specific date. It is not dependent on a period which is why you may be confused. The A,L,P account balances will match the Balance Sheet as at the same date. The I and E balances are the accumulated income and expenses as at the same date and combined they match the automatically calculated Retained Earnings item on the Balance Sheet.
March 8, 2018
Bruce W.
Partner
September 21, 2017

“Easy to use and effective accounting software for our LLC. Great value and exceptional support. ”

ProsI've spent a lot of time and money purchasing and implementing accounting software as a CFO and COO for past employers. After retirement, we needed an easy to use and inexpensive accounting program to handle a family LLC. We started just building spreadsheets rather than spend too much for a software package that we really didn't want. Then we came across LedgerLite. What a value! We've used the software for almost four years with no problems other than our own hardware issues. When those issues arose and we had to recover our data, questions to support at Responsive Software were answered promptly; like local service coming from half way around the world.
ConsI'm having difficulty finding comments to list as a "Cons". For a larger organization there may be some limitations but for our LLC, this software works great.
September 21, 2017
Jon B.
Retired - was senior university manager.
January 25, 2018

“I use this software for the accounts of a company set up to manage the common parts of 21 properties”

ProsThis software is gloriously simple to use. It is thankfully free from excessive complexity, and whilst I have only given three stars for functionality - I see this as a massive positive. It is exceptionally intuitive - but comes with very good, and easily readable documentation. Today I handed over my populated Ledger Lite system to a colleague with little experience of book-keeping, but she very quickly mastered everything - and could instantly see the benefits of having easily entered data, converted instantly into management information, which allows easy drill-down from that highly summarised information to the constituent data. It is simple to use and yet extremely powerful. The time saved through use of the user-friendly data input screens, is so productively and enjoyably re-focused on acting on the information produced. The whole system - application and data is stored in two files. The system will run from a memory stick plugged into a computer if you wish, rather than from a computer's hard drive. I love this system.
BILAL J.
Finance Manager
March 2, 2018

“Simplest and easiest software”

ProsEasy to use. Depreciation, Cash and Pass Book, user and admin rights are very perfectly defined some how there should be minor further customization.
Conslimited addition. (inventory and HR module is not available). Only one problem I feel which is missing that day lock system is not much secured. Also voucher number are not available for any entry.

By Responsive Software on March 5, 2018
Voucher numbers belong in the Description field. The Description field can take up to 50 characters.
March 2, 2018
Julie D.
Finance Director
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
February 15, 2018

“Great software for the novice and small business”

OverallI'm not a professional accountant and this software has enabled me to produce accounts for my small business without going to the expense of hiring an accountant.
ProsEasy to use. The functionality is exactly what I need as a small business user. Being a non -accountant this software bridges the gap for me to produce accounts that are necessary to run my business without having to go to a professional accountant every month. Very good value for money.
ConsGraphical information is limited or at least the software I have, which is the paid basic package. Possibly the more expensive package has more functionality. As I use Excel for my major graphs it isn't worth it o me to purchase the higher priced software as the basic package works very well for me at this time.
John M.
Business Analyst
February 15, 2018

“I have had no problems in using LedgerLite for the last 3 years.”

OverallThe software allows me to do my final account for my corporation.
ProsI like the simplicity of the application. It is particularly good for people like me who are independent consultants who do not need the bells and whistles of other software that are so expensive to buy and maintain.
ConsThe system cannot be used on multiple devices. For example I would like to use it on desktop as well as my laptop which I carry with me to work.

By Responsive Software on February 20, 2018
There are two different ways you can use the system on multiple devices. (1) Put the LedgerLite program and database on a USB stick and run it directly from the stick on any Windows computer, or (2) set up LedgerLite to run in a client/server configuration over a LAN or the Internet. In your situation (1) is probably the best option if you are the only user.
Luise O.
Apparel & Fashion, Self-employed
February 15, 2018

“We've been enthusiastic users of LedgerLite and its predecessor for 10 years in our business.”

OverallCompany books
Pros-ease of company and account setup -ease of report generation -ease of data backup security -entry control for double-entry bookkeeping -ease of maintenance of consistent entry form
Cons-switching to an account presents all of the entries to date with the cursor at the earliest rather than latest -scrolling through an account cannot be done by the mouse scroll wheel

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
In LedgerLite there is an option on the Workstation Configuration screen to show the most recent entries at the top of the list. Go to the File menu and select Configure. On the Workstation tab put a check next to Show Recent Entries First and click on OK. You can scroll through an account with the mouse wheel if you first click on the account grid to bring it into focus.
Emmett S.
Mgr
Environmental Services, Unspecified
February 15, 2018

“I'm in my third year with Ledgerlite and it is just the ticket for my home and business needs. ”

OverallA double entry system that works!
ProsThe most outstanding feature of this program is the security afforded by having the program and my data in hand at all times and readily available in the event of computer changes.
ConsOnce in the while it would be nice if the type ahead feature that is available in some programs were available in this one.
Don E.
Retired
February 28, 2018

“I do the books for a non-profit organization (horticultural garden club) & LedgerLite is perfect fit”

OverallIt was so easy to start up and it suits our type of organization. It is easy and simple to use.
ProsIt is an inexpensive software just perfect for our club. It is very easy to use as I use to do books manually and I'm use to double entry accounting. I use to use Quickbooks Easy Start but after 10 years the software was no longer supported and I had to buy a new computer so I wasn't able move Quickbooks over. When I searched for new software, I couldn't find a suitable software for our organization that was reasonable in price. Most software was more than what I needed and too expensive. When I found LedgerLite on the internet and studied it I found it to be just right for us. Ledgerlite was easy to set up and use.
ConsI would like to close the books at the end of a year but I am getting around that by setting up the near year start date.

By Responsive Software on March 1, 2018
There is a Close Books Date on the Global Configuration screen. No entries or edits will be allowed prior to this date but you can still view and report on the data.
February 28, 2018
Robert N.
Parish Priest
February 16, 2018

“I have been using LedgerLite in a small enterprise for the last three years.”

ProsIt is so simple that learning the program is very easy. When I had a doubt, I wrote to the program´s creator and without dely he answered me. The program is so well created that it is almost impossible to make an error. Also, it´s price will not deplete your bank account.
ConsSincerely, I cannot find an aspect that I don´t like. LedgerLite works well with a PC computer. I would like to see a version of it for an Apple iPad.

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
You can run LedgerLite on an iPad if you have Windows emulator software. Because LedgerLite works with any version of Windows it also works with most Windows emulators for both the Mac or Linux. A number of users are running LedgerLite successfully using WINE or Winebottler.
Mohammad B.
Assistant Coordinator Sales
Food Production, 1001-5000 employees
February 15, 2018

“Worlds easiest and simpliest software.”

ProsChart of Account is very easy to design. Also cash book and pass book import export. User friendly and easy to create user and assigning rights to them according to requirement.
ConsLook and unlock books very easy. I mean one can easily unlock books easily. Secondly there should be some inventory module also.
Margo L.
treasurer
February 15, 2018

“I am very happy with LedgerLite. It was inexpensive and does pretty well everything I need it to. ”

ProsIt is simple and straightforward to use, The Customer Service is amazing. Anytime I have had a question, they have gotten back to me within a few hours.
ConsIt is possible to delete an entry accidently, and there is no way to retrieve it from within the system.

By Responsive Software on February 18, 2018
It's true LedgerLite doesn't have an UNDELETE function in case you delete an entry accidentally. That's the reason we made DELETE a three step process and included a prompt asking "Are you sure you wish to delete this entry?" (Perhaps we should have made it a four or five step process!) If it's any use LedgerLite also lets you switch to what it calls TRUST MODE which prevents any deletions whatsoever. This mode is designed to comply with the requirements of solicitor's trust accounting. In this mode if you make an error you can only correct it by making another entry. In TRUST MODE the database becomes an immutable record of every transation entered.
Joseph L.
Retired Bus/Acct Teacher
Information Services, Self-employed
February 21, 2018

“I use LedgerLite for bookkeeping and issuing financial reports for my tenant association.”

OverallEase of recording financial transactions and generating financial reports. I also love the ease of correcting minor errors with the editing features. This save on making numerous journal entries.
ProsI like the ease of recording financial transactions in the cash register and other non-cash transactions in the general journal.
ConsRetained Earnings does not apply to non-profit associations and there is no automatic closing mechanism for accounting year.

By Responsive Software on February 24, 2018
Net Income on the Income Statement and Retained Earnings on the Balance Sheet can be renamed to something more applicable to a non-profit e.g. Surplus of Income Over Expenditure or Accumulated Surplus. LedgerLite is designed for flexibility and therefore has no built-in concept of financial periods. Ledger postings are recorded on a real-time continuous basis. Because of this LedgerLite can produce financial reports for any arbitrary date or period. However LedgerLite does have a function to zero Income and Expense accounts as at a specified date and also allows you to close the books as at a specified date (the Close Books Date.)
February 21, 2018
Barry C.
Individual
Accounting, Self-employed
February 15, 2018

“Product is very good for recording personal financials (Balance sheet and Income & Expenditure)”

OverallThe ability to record my various sources of Income and review my assets and liabilities.I can review my expenditure each year and use the data to prepare my Income Tax return.There is also a record of asset purchases which can be utilised for warranty and replacement information.
ProsAbility to roll-over into next period,ability to print/review or transactions in detail and to carry the ledger on a small USB card. I recently applied for a Bank loan and although I had a printed set of accounts with me, I could have provided the card to the Bank and had the Bank printout any data required.Very ease to use as rated above. At present I load data yearly,but am trying to update more regularly. There are many transactions recorded including Amex and Visa transactions and all Bank accounts
Charlie A.
Food Production, Self-employed
February 15, 2018

“Outstanding SIMPLE bookkeeping tool! ”

OverallSimple, cheap, easy bookkeeping. It does all that I need to run my little business.
ProsSIMPLE! If you just need simple double entry bookkeeping and a few reports then why bother with QuickBooks? (QB is nice but for me was overkill.) I just made a couple copies of the initial data file and then started with my double entry. No problems. Then at the end of each month I run the Income Statement and Balance Sheet to see how I'm doing. I really could not be easier.
ConsYou do need to have a basic understanding of double entry bookkeeping so it's not completely dummy proof.
Temaiana T.
MD
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
February 12, 2018

“Overall, the software is great!”

OverallI can manage/prepare my accounts on my own. Be able to submit my financial reports to Tax as required and to other interested parties.
ProsEasy to use, has all the features/functionality, worth buying, full customer support any time needed.
February 12, 2018
Jane B.
February 16, 2018

“Easy to use accounting software for the non-accountant user.”

ProsIt's simplicity, user friendly and cost effective. Good video tuition and email support from the customer rep.
Cons1. Not a biggie - but could be able to upload company profile image to startup screen. 2. Be able to change headings eg - Income Statement to "Profit and Loss Account" 3. A better quality image upload of invoices to the Cash Book. Should be able to upload a pdf doc as preferred image commonly used for archiving.

By Responsive Software on February 20, 2018
Thank you Jane for your feedback and suggestions. We will definitely keep these in mind when we are working on future upgrades to LedgerLite.
Russell D.
February 15, 2018

“LedgerLite is the most intuitive and simple-to-use small business accounting system I have found.”

ProsLedgerLite is perfect for someone with basic double-entry knowledge. It is unfussy but comprehensive enough for a sole trader - without providing unnecessary features that complicate the operation of the program.
ConsThe online written support and instruction material is sometimes not all that clear, but the software is so intuitive for those with some book-keeping knowledge that one can usually answer one's own questions by trial and error. Also the speed and helpfulness of the LedgerLite support team means comprehensive assistance via email is always available.
Vicente T.
Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

“Easy to use.”

ProsNot expensive, with trial time, jenkins responds to questions, fits to what we need, easy to instruct co workers on how to use.
ConsShould have a time frame on what/when to print.
Sharon C.
President/Trainer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
March 21, 2019

“Very Easy To Use Software”

OverallIt provides everything we need for our non profit. We are a small nonprofit with limited funds. It was perfect for our needs.
ProsThe ease of use. More importantly, the customer service is AWESOME. Very responsive and helpful. Very knowledgeable. Highly recommend this product.
ConsWould like to be able to close out each year easier.
March 21, 2019
Roger P.
Director/Accountant
February 15, 2018

“Very easy to use if you want a basic general ledger without the need for AR, AP or stock ledgers.”

OverallA basic general ledger to prepare monthly accounts for a small business, without the need for a AR, AP or stock ledger.
ProsIt provides a standard general ledger which is a piece of cake to operate. I had no need to purchase all the extra stuff that Quickbooks, MYOB or Xero offer. I run a cashbook; GL reconciliations for loans and stock in Excel. Also in Excel I have a list of general journals. From these files I enter my data into LedgerLite. Easy. No need to go through multiple database forms to create a simple P&L and BS.
ConsPerhaps the lack of upgrades. I think the designers could gradually add more functionality. I also have multi-currency bank accounts and manage multi-currency in Excel, as there is no feature in LedgerLite for this.

By Responsive Software on February 17, 2018
If you are working in different currencies our suggestion is to treat each currency as a separate accounting entity. Of course this won't work if you need to produce consolidated accounts in a specific currency and do conversions on the fly at current exchange rates. Unfortunately the complexity of this is beyond the scope of LedgerLite.
Sharon C.
Director/Trainer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
February 26, 2018

“Great Product/ Fantastic Customer Service and Support”

OverallInexpensive software that serves our needs completely. We are a small non profit just starting out and funds are limited.
ProsThe ease and simplicity of the product. Great reporting options. Great customer service and support.
ConsWay to enter check number to coordinate with entry in ledger. More reporting options. space to note what check is for.

By Responsive Software on February 27, 2018
Check number should be entered in the Description field along with any other notes about the transaction. The Description field can take up to 50 characters.
Ernic Jose V.
Inspector Electromecanico
June 27, 2018

“very easy to use, reliable and profitable”

ProsI like the ease of registering financial transactions and other personal balance transactions, very simple to use and above all very profitable compared to the QuickBooks system among others ....
Cons a suggestion would be good that the description field take more than 50 characters to facilitate and improve financial transactions, the rest of the LedgerLite application has been very useful in the company ...
June 27, 2018
Chris N.
Consultant
February 25, 2018

“Excellent. Hope the customer support improves. ”

ProsEase of use, simple. Worth the money spent. As an accounting tools and for a beginner it is easy to use
ConsShd add more guidance on complex accounting issues instead of depending on customer support for help

By Responsive Software on February 26, 2018
We are a software development company and not qualified as accountants. However we do have an excellent grasp of accounting and can provide advice on the basics and/or direction on where to find more information. However for complex accounting issues it is always best to speak to your own qualified advisers.
Alan R.
February 17, 2018

“I have used LedgerLite for 3 years or so for the accounts for a Local Community Group. It's perfect”

ProsIt does exactly what it says on the tin. Simple to use and great responsive customer service if you hit any problems. I would recommend it highly
ConsJust a little clumsy in getting new accounts into categories for the income statement or balance sheet. I keep forgetting how to do this.

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
If you go to our website you'll find links to YouTube videos illustrating the use of LedgerLite. One of these videos deals specifically with how to arrange the Income Statement and Balance Sheet.
February 17, 2018
Joan B.
Sports, 1-10 employees
February 16, 2018

“Quick and easy download and entries.”

OverallIt has saved time.
ProsStraightforward accounting, ideal for community groups like mine. Uncluttered by A/P and A/R or payroll which are not always needed. Bank statement is always balanced. Next treasurer need not be experienced bookkeeper to use this.
ConsI'd like to be able to change the font size on some reports for a better fit on the page. I'd like a monthly GL report listing that month's transactions for each account in order.

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
It sounds like the report you want is Ledger Listing By Account on the Reports menu. This report will list all transactions in account order for the currently selected viewing period. To select the period go to the File menu and select Configure. On the Workstation tab put a check in both Begin Viewing Period and End Viewing Period and set the dates to the start and end of the month. Then click on Ok.
Jeanette M.
February 20, 2018

“Needed simple and inexpensive software to track my club's transactions. LedgerLite does it.”

ProsI like the simplicity of it. I don't need modules for payroll, inventory, purchase orders etc - I just need to track revenues & expenditures, bank balances etc. The simplicity also makes it very easy to correct, if something is entered wrong. I also like that it is local on my computer - no need for online access. And the price is great!
ConsWould like to be able to report on each subentity separately. I would like to know a bit more on how the subentities are intended to work.

By Responsive Software on February 21, 2018
A subentity can be anything e.g. a project, subsidiary company, or division. To create a subentity go to Subentities on the Maintain menu and add a new record (this works the same as the other Maintain screens.) Then when you make an entry in the ledger or cashbook you can select the subentity from a drop-down list associating it with that subentity. Also a new Subentities menu will appear at the top allowing you to switch between subentities and Consolidated. Everything works the same except all screens and reports show only entries associated with the selected subentity. To switch back to seeing all entries select Consolidated. NOTE: If you're using LedgerLite in a multi-user setup you can also assign each user to a specific subentity.
February 20, 2018
Barry C.
N/A
Accounting, Self-employed
March 15, 2019

“Straight forward software for personal record keeping”

OverallAllows me to record Assets,Liabilities,Income & Expenses which can be regularly updated and used to keep abreast of my financial position and details facilitate preparation of my Income Tax returns.It is hard to overlook some details for Tax when accounting software is not used.Also, will be very helpful when my Executors need to prepare a Probate affidavit!!
ProsEasy to use, ability to open up entries for expense accounts and able to keep records on small Credit card size USB stick.Although not presently utilised,there is facility to include an Asset register.
ConsAs with most software,saving postings is necessary so as to avoid necessity to process again!
March 15, 2019
Roger V.
President, Owner
June 22, 2018

“Excellent software for my accounting needs and experience. Thorough without being complicated.”

OverallExcellent after-sales customer service.
ProsI have used Matthew's accounting software program since the inception of my company in 2013. For an accounting "dummy" this program made my life so much easier and less intimidating than most of the other software that I tried.
ConsRelated to the actual workings and output of the program I cannot think of anything that I do NOT like about this software.
June 22, 2018
Chien T.
Owner/Manager
Wholesale, Self-employed
February 25, 2018

“Absolutely great, user-friendly and adequate for my requriements”

ProsThe EXCELLENT support provided by the team. I felt compelled to say this, as I am a user on a different time zone at a different part of the world, but whenever I have a question, Mathew's response is always very prompt, sure feels like he works during after office hours and over weekends!
ConsSome limitations for the most basic version, but this is highly understandable, and it is no issue at all really.
February 27, 2018

“Use LedgerLite for a homeowners' association accounting. ”

OverallIt accomplishes what I need for recordkeeping for a simple application of a homeowners' association that owns not property itself.
ProsEasy installation, simple to use and produces all the records I need in my simple set of accounts. Inexpensive and support has always been great.
ConsI haven't encountered any major problems. My only complaint is that I was unable to use a different company name than the one it is registered to.

By Responsive Software on February 28, 2018
Each accounting entity in LedgerLite requires a unique registration code to be entered after the 30-day free-trial. This code is linked directly to the name that is displayed on the reports which can be the name of a company, organization or personal name. So if you change the name you need a new registration code for the new name.
February 27, 2018
Birch C.
Sole Proprieter
February 26, 2018

“Ledger Lite fits the needs of my small company perfectly. ”

Overallit helps me run my business, plan for future development of my business and feel confident of my current financial situation.
ProsIt has all the components i need. The customer service is prompt and helpful. The cost of the software is affordable. The layout and functionality is easy to follow.
Charles B.
Retail, 11-50 employees
February 25, 2018

“LedgerLite has been the perfect accounting system for my needs. ”

OverallIt performs a need task with simplicity and accuracy. It is easy to customize for your business. It is not encumbered with multiple interfaces and extra capabilities that I am not interested in.
ProsEasy to use. Double entry for accuracy. Excellent reports. You can take the entire system on a thumb drive and use on other computers when traveling.
Cons.
Timothy A.
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed

“Good so far.”

OverallGood enough for my needs.
ProsEasy to use and easy to set up. The customer care is great and prompt. Prize is good. Cash books and asset register modules are helpful.
ConsThe report capability needs improvement. Clumsy sometimes when setting up the Profit/Loss and Balance sheet reports. The account codes do not have flexibility for sub codes. I am not able to use it for multiple clients.

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
Instead of subaccounts LedgerLite uses Groups on the report layouts to combine accounts into a single item. You can create an account for each of your clients and also create a Group called Clients on the report screen. Then drag and drop the individual client accounts into the Group. They will then appear as a single item named Clients on the report.
Bob L.
Accountant
February 16, 2018

“I have been using Ledgerlite for a couple of years and it is very easy to use.”

ProsThe ability to make entries and corrections. There is always a check to make sure the transactions are in balance.
ConsIt may have some limitations if the user has extensive inventories or accounts receivables, but that has not been a problem for me.
JUDITH G.
February 15, 2018

“Have used 11 years in small business; I have little accounting experience but it has worked for me”

Proscustomer service agent has been accessible and pro-active from the start. My accountant gets clear and usable reports.
ConsSwitching to US terminology and re-entering accounts. Also need to fit display to computer screen. Inconvenient & time-consuming.

By Responsive Software on February 18, 2018
The display can be resized in the vertical direction by holding the mouse cursor over the bottom edge until it changes to a double-headed arrow and then clicking and dragging. In LedgerLite the data entry and editing process involves a number of definite steps designed to maintain the accuracy of the data. This can seem a bit slower until you get used to it especially if you are used to editing documents and spreadsheets.
Anne R.
Controller
March 7, 2018

“I have used this software for 6-7 years. Perfect for me”

OverallWorks better that a spreadsheet and produces nice reports. I like that it can do a printout for each GL code
ProsEach to use and simple to enter a journal entry. You can print a GL list and also statements with ease. I like that it can run on a USB stick so it portable and can be used at home and at work. Program was updated a couple of years ago and works better
ConsI did not use the pre-loaded chart of accounts. I find it a bit of a change to back up to the right place There are only two file so do so. Just need to make sure you back up with a USB stick in case of loss
Steve C.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
March 7, 2018

“Easy to Use - Terrific Value - Recommended”

ProsWe wanted a program that was easy to set up and administer and that was not an enormous investment as we have relatively few transactions per month (holding company). This software did the trick.
Syed H.
Banking, 1-10 employees
March 3, 2018

“excellent value for money and easy to setup.”

OverallQuick economical accounting facility with all essential features of very expensive GL package
ProsIt allows good set for chart of accounts and produces core reports. Downloads allow further analysis. The system is on computer resources. Upgrade although not tired seems to be easy and more features available there.
ConsShould have a transaction upload facility from excel / text file. Data entry should allow multiple batch entry of transactions. On entry form with every new transaction the narrative and amount field should clear out automatically
March 3, 2018
Ray Y.
accountant
Real Estate, Self-employed
February 26, 2018

“Very useful if you are keeping a general ledger”

OverallComing up with a very clean General Ledger
ProsThe software is simple, and one is able to go back to edit journals or entries that were entered wrongly. A very good software if the intention is to maintain GL with cashbook.
Kenneth L.
Treasure
Public Relations and Communications, 51-200 employees
January 25, 2018

“Easy to use. It a check book program, with a chart of accounts to identity the transactions.”

OverallStandardization. Information that was all most impossible to get from the previous process. Ease of passing the process on to the next Treasure of the club.
ProsCan run from a thumb drive (doesn't install in windows). If you can balance a checkbook you'll have no problem. Provides great information. After loading 1 year of history, I was able to tell in minutes, which events we had made money, how must and which lost money.
ConsWish I could customize reports better. However all output can be saves as CSV and I just need to perform the formatting.
Carl S.
Finance
Pharmaceuticals, 1001-5000 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 11, 2019

“Easy and fully functional ”

ProsExtremely customizable, and you don't need to be a programmer to do it. Also appreciate the ease of use; you can literally dive in within 5 minutes of use
ConsCould use a few choices of report style, but while the reports are 'pretty', they are robust and you can customize what goes on them!
September 11, 2019
Tony F.
Investment Management, Self-employed
June 26, 2019

“Great value - easy to use”

OverallAble to produce a set of accounts from bank statements
ProsIt is so easy to use and set up. Could be done monthly but I just used it annually
Consminor problems when formatting some reports
June 26, 2019
John N.

“Simple and Flexible.”

ProsAs a not for profit organisation, having an inexpensive accounting package that is flexible and easy to use is a great solution for us as a small business. The user interface is simple. The program and data take up little space and is portable between devices.
ConsThe trial balance does not display or print in chart of account number order, but only a few are out of place.

By Responsive Software on February 19, 2018
The Trial Balance displays the accounts in order of the five basic account types - E, I, A, L, P. Within each type grouping they are displayed in account number order.