TaxJar Ratings

Overall
4.7/5

About TaxJar

TaxJar is the leading technology for eCommerce companies of any size to manage sales tax and trusted by more than 10,000 businesses. Founded to help merchants and developers spend less time on sales tax and more time growing the businesses they love. We offer TaxJar Reports, web-based reporting app that organizes sales tax data into return-ready reports by state; AutoFile, a service that automatically files your returns; and SmartCalcs API, a RESTful API powering real-time calculations. Learn more about TaxJar

Anne Z.
Internet, Self-employed
September 18, 2017

“TaxJar is the ONLY way to collect state sales tax for eCommerce!”

OverallOne of my lifeline go to products to run my eCommerce Internet sales business. It pulls in info from Amazon, eBay and PayPal to calculate which states I owe sales tax too. I was a life saver when I went compliant regarding my FBA sales tax. Thanks TaxJar!
ProsTaxJar has an ease of use that once you are set up, you are good to go. They make registering for states you have nexus in a breeze. I started with my home state of CA and worked with it for over a year before becoming compliant with other states that I had nexus in for Amazon FBA. As an eCommerce seller I was able to easily link to my eBay and PayPal accounts. They pull in the info needed and on a monthly basis I can see which states I have to make payment to. I easily log into the states websites and submit everything online. Such a time saver I can't even tell you. They give you step by step instructions for everything having to so with EACH and every state in the USA. Simply the best! As a solopreneur, I am my own book-keeper and accountant. I have all the info in TaxJar to make my business run regarding sales tax.
ConsWhile I haven't yet used autopay, where they would do my filing, I hesitate because my sales are not great. I wish the fee was based on how much or how little one sold. I would use in a New York minute if that were the case.
September 18, 2017
Abdullah M.
May 30, 2019

“Please do not Waste your money in this company”

OverallHorrible!! Now I am looking for an alternative. If someone ever pays me a million dollars, I will never sign up with these guys.
ProsI signed up with this company since the start of my business back in 2014. After signing up installation was pretty easy as all I had to do is install the plugin and few clicks it was all set. So, I never needed a human interaction. December 2018 I updated my software, since then this plugin isn't working. What that means is, this software did not collect a single tax from customer. I file my taxes quarterly. In January i logged in to get the report, that's when I discovered that tax jar is not collecting any taxes. Due to my busy schedule I couldn't contact them right away. Then when I finally did contact them by sending them an email, I did not get a response from these guys for over a month. Then I sent a follow up email beginning of this month. I am still waiting on the resolution. What is the issue you may ask? When I try to connect my store (magento 1), it gives an 301 redirects. They told me it has something to do with my server side. Hosting company saying they don't see anything wrong with my site or the server. They do not provide any phone service. So, all these communication is going on via email. Wanna hear the response time? First email sent on May 6th, didn't hear anything back from them until 2 days later. Sometimes I am going 2/3 without any response.
Cons- No Phone Support - Email support takes 2/3 days to a week, sometimes no response - Basically no support
May 30, 2019
Tracy H.
March 15, 2018

“Calculating taxes for several states and countless municipalities is daunting, TaxJar made it easy.”

OverallTaxes can be complicated and we did have some questions along the way. TaxJar always got back to us.
ProsIt handled all aspects of our sales tax needs. We used it to manage real-time calculations so we collected the correct amounts. Then we used the TaxJar service that also files the taxes with each state. When we did have questions, they had answers. This allowed us to focus on the more important aspects of our business.
March 15, 2018
Geri C.
March 14, 2018

“Takes the pain out of paying my salestax”

OverallWorry free tax filing and tracking.
ProsThe best thing about TaxJar is the ability to connect it to my Amazon store and it monitors all of the sales tax that needs to be submitted and filed. I also use the added service of letting TaxJar actually submit my tax return. Saves me time and frees me to do things that will help me grow my business.
ConsI rarely even visit my TaxJar account because it is automated and there's really nothing for me to do. I do check in once in a while to make sure it's tracking everything correctly. There is no real con for me so far.
March 14, 2018
Computer Software, Unspecified
December 12, 2017

“Super-simple API integration to add tax handling to a web application”

OverallEasy addition of tax handling to our web application.
ProsTaxJar was very easy for us to implement, didn't require hoops and red tape to get setup, and has been foolproof for us so far. The error messages (when our input is incorrect, for example) have been clean and easy to correct. It's a great comfort knowing we don't have to worry about the tax implications of transactions -- we just submit the data to TaxJar and they tell us how much to charge. Awesome!
ConsThe API does not yet have a way to automate creation of new accounts (if you are building a framework using TaxJar for multiple clients this does add the additional step of having to require the client to create their own account).
December 12, 2017
Jamie S.
Accountant
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
December 4, 2017

“Tax Jar has solved our sales tax problems. This is the perfect solution for ecommerce companies. ”

OverallIt saves us so much time by filing returns or manually tracking sales tax rates. Their website also has so much beneficial information on sales tax issues.
ProsThis was the easiest plug in that our IT has integrated with our Magento Website. I love that it can collect and auto-file in every state. Customer support always answers our questions quickly and accurately. The interface is user friendly.
ConsThe updates this year have solved any lacking areas we saw when we first started using Tax Jar. There are a couple of times Tax Jar has charged tax when it should have not, but the percent this has happened is less than 0.001% and the number of transactions we have seen this on has decreased each month.
Tyneisha S.
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
May 24, 2019

“Takes The Headache Out Of Sales Tax Collection”

OverallWhat I really liked about Taxjar was the fact that it made an intimidating subject a lot easier for me. Having to collect and remit sales tax can be a challenge for a beginning business owner, but this software takes some of the pressure off.
ProsI signed up for TaxJar as an effort to simplify my online business when it came to taxes. I needed help not only determining which states I had nexus in, but also with automatic tracking of sales tax collection. Taxjar helped me with both, and when it came time to file, TaxJar gave me notifications so I would not be late. Even better, there is an option to auto file, so I barely had to worry about it at all. They also have a great blog and newsletter to keep you up to date with the latest tax news and tips.
ConsThere were some times when I first started my business that my sales were low, but there is no flexible pricing option for those times. Depending on how you are doing you may not be making enough to justify the cost. It really depends on each person's business however.
May 24, 2019
Michael O.
Managing Partner
January 29, 2019

“I am so grateful for this service!”

ProsI love just about everything about Taxjar - the interface takes a little getting used to but they have tutorials for everything; the reports are spot-on and they have APIs for everything that I need for my business. Customer service is always clear, concise and professional.
ConsI think that the auto-filing fees are a bit high. I wish the pricing for this feature could be changed based on how may filings you have per month, maybe?
January 29, 2019
Tim M.
Software Engineer
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2018

“Saves our business time and money”

OverallTaxJar is a great alternative to Avalara in terms of price and functionality. The service leaves something to be wanted at the lower end of the pricing scheme. Overall, it does what we need it to do.
ProsTaxJar is a fully featured taxation product for our e-commerce business. I'm amazed that something so fully featured is available at such a low price. It integrates with our e-commerce plugin WooCommerce.
ConsThe service at the low price point is very poor. It feels like they do this intentionally to get you to upgrade.
October 10, 2018
Tilmann G.
Cosmetics, Unspecified
December 4, 2017

“This is one of those `invisble helpers you cannot live without.”

OverallI peace of mind! All I can say.
ProsBest support to handle sales taxes with omni channel business. Our omni channel sale tax collection is on auto pilot. It integrates flawlessly with amazon and Shopify and we haven't had any issue at all. TaxJar just does the job.
John J. S.
CFO
Internet, 1-10 employees
October 4, 2018

“If I could rate TaxJar 10 star, I would ”

OverallCustomer service is excellent. We find the software a critical part of our monthly and quarterly sales and use tax process. We allow TaxJar to auto file for our large volume states, saving us hours of work. We manually file our other states and TaxJar's organization makes its incredibly easy and, in our view, a critical part of our financial work.
ProsThe depth of organization and ease of data acces.
ConsThere is nothing I can think of - TaxJar even highlights states where I might have nexus
51-200 employees
December 5, 2017

“We've been using TaxJar for almost 2 years and couldn't be happier with the outstanding value ”

Prosextremely easy to implement, use and service levels are outstanding. The product is extremely accurate - love the the automated state filings which saves tremendous time critical for a small organization.
Greg B.
COO
April 11, 2018

“Great customer service and execution”

ProsThey are making calculating sales simple and efficient for my website - whereas this could be a nightmare to do manually and not a good use of my time. Their customer service has been outstanding.
ConsI've had no issues to date with the software - we launched in August and I have had not had any challenges to report.
Internet, 11-50 employees

“Nice for State Taxes”

OverallI like all of it, got the 30 day free trial. It's great to use Taxjar if you're selling online, makes managing state sales taxes for shipments easy. State sales tax is a huge pain for most businesses just because taxes are so different across states, but Taxjar makes it simple.
ProsIt integrates with Walmart, Amazon, Shopify, and most other major online sellers, makes taxes for selling multichannel very easy. The integration is fast and sends data automatically.
ConsThey could always add more channels, but Taxjar has the big channels covered.
Emma J.
Director of Marketing
April 12, 2018

“I am not familiar with state sales taxes at all, and TaxJar made it so much easier!”

ProsI can have all my states in one place and see all the statuses. I love that customer service is quick to respond and helpful to people who know nothing about state taxes such as myself.
ConsIt is difficult to navigate when you don't know much about taxes. Specifically when I try to autofile and don't owe any taxes, I have to create mock files. This is almost impossible to figure out on the platform without customer support being involved to explain.
Cherri N.
Retail, 11-50 employees
January 18, 2019

“Solves multi-state tax collection issues with clear and easy to understand soltuion.”

ProsBest is there is NO Contract! You can use them without the fear of being locked in for a long term. Their solution is easy to use, no real accounting background needed. Integrates with most shopping carts or marketplaces. Easy to reach support team. Takes the fear out of sales tax reporting.
ConsNo issues yet. The dashboard is clear and easy to use.
January 18, 2019
Carmen R.
Gerente de Administración
April 6, 2018

“Taxjar is very easy to use taxes can be complicated but it is easy with this application”

OverallI like this application because it is easy for our clients to make sales tax payments and to integrate accounting software, it is easy and convenient
ProsI like this application because it is easy for our clients to make sales tax payments and to integrate accounting software, it is easy and convenient
ConsIt can be a bit expensive if you are a business with thousands of transactions per month. It may be more profitable to hire someone to do it for you at that time.
April 6, 2018
Sean W.
Bookkeeper
Accounting, 11-50 employees
March 17, 2018

“Relieves the stress of sale tax”

ProsI refer this software to my clients that pay sales tax in multiple states. It helps them calculate and remit their sales tax in a timely and accurate manner. I have multiple clients that use this software for sales tax and lodging tax and they love it!
ConsCan become a bit pricey if you are a business with thousands of transactions per month. It may be more cost effective to hire someone to do it for you at that point.
March 17, 2018
Maxwell L.
August 20, 2019

“Great if you distribute taxes to multiple states”

ProsI had the free trial of this for my Amazon business. They recently decided that Amazon sellers need to pay tax in every state (which is crazy). So Amazon does not give you a total amount of taxes you owe every state, you would have to manually add it from the spreadsheets they provide. This is where TaxJar comes in, and it was a godsend to Amazon sellers. This was super simple to use and it showed me exactly what I owed in each state. For me, it wasn't worth having a monthly subscription because I paid state sales tax annually.
ConsThe only con of this software was the membership pricing. I wish they had a one-time use fee for people who pay sales tax annually rather than having month to month or annual fees.
August 20, 2019
May 15, 2018

“Centralizes and Aggregates a Ton of Information”

ProsTax Jar helps me take 10,000 orders and pulls information like zipcodes so that I can figure out exactly how much tax is owed in each individual municipality. It centralizes policy, and knows if I have a nexus in each state and how much I owe in each locality. It knows things like if shipping and giftwrapping are taxable in states. I can't imagine running my small business without it.
ConsThe interface stinks - I frequently have to have 6 or 7 tabs open at once just to fill out one state's tax return. But, I'll take function over fashion on this one.
May 15, 2018
Art S.

“Extremely Easy to Use”

OverallExtreme time savings. Could not conduct sales tax without this software.
ProsSaves me days of time by automating everything that has to do with sales tax. Customer support is fast and friendly.
ConsI would love to see more educational tips and suggestions around the individual states and difficulty levels around filing manually. There are some states where it is almost impossible to do it yourself.
Hyunjoo H.
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
September 19, 2018

“Your ultimate destination for sales tax management!”

OverallI love it!
ProsFirst of all, it is super easy to enroll and use. It automatically transfers the sales tax information from my amazon.com seller central and put them on my account of TaxJar. It is easy to understand and they not only display my state's sales tax but other states too. Second, it offers a lot of sales tax related articles and videos that you could read or watch and learn from. I like the video that tells me how to file and remit taxes and it is so easy. It saves tens of hours. I can't imagine filing it without TaxJar and what a headache it might be. Third, the software and its site is beautifully designed and very user-friendly. They are good at it and I see this company will be more successful in future as we are having a new sales tax wave.
ConsI wish they offer better (Cheaper) pricing.
September 19, 2018
Elieser G.
April 11, 2018

“Super Easy to use, and the most important part is the accuracy.”

Overalltime, accuracy, projected cash flow of my business
ProsTime saver, We have full confidence and trust this product, Can have reports that shows how much we pay to each state and we can plan our cash flow based on the calculation in advance.
ConsI don't have anything to say on this one, since we start using it we notice the value in it. MAybe the can be integrated with a accounting software and will be a lot better.
tomer d.
Natural health Bag
Animation, 1-10 employees
August 29, 2019

“save me ton of time”

Prosthis is life saver, do the whole amazon/ebay orders sales tax process smooth!
Consnot sure if they offer submission service and filing sales tax that would be great
August 29, 2019
Seth R.
Front End Developer
Retail, 51-200 employees
July 16, 2019

“Excellent product for price”

OverallSo far TaxJar has made it easy to charge state taxes on our site.
ProsTaxJar made it easy to implement charging state taxes this year on our site. We chose them mostly because of ease of implementation and lower price compared to competitors.
ConsSometimes tax rates seem slightly a little off but not often at all. Mostly a state issue
July 16, 2019
Patrick L.
Digital Marketer
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
September 12, 2018

“TaxJar Makes doing business online very easy with Shopify”

OverallIt's simple to install and does work for me that would take a lot of time to complete.
ProsTaxjar installed in shopify very quickly. After setting up the account on their website and configuring it is ready to go. It will collect all the tax information by state and calculate the deductions and any nexus required. The reports are easy to use and have made this task very simple. The alternative would be very manual and time consuming.
ConsIt's great, I have no complaints. I am not a chartered accountant so I can't see any detailed extras it doesn't do.
September 12, 2018
Barbara G.
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
September 21, 2019

“Simplifying Sales Tax!”

OverallI do believe that putting together our tax forms will be easy with the use of TaxJar. What could potentially be a big headache, TaxJar has everything I need to track sales tax collection and calculate.
ProsAs a business owner selling on several E-commerce platforms, its been crucial to be able to track sales tax. Not only for my state, but in other states as well. TaxJar not only provides this service, but is very up to date with the happenings of tax law. I've been able to use this with ease once our CPA showed us how to set things up.
ConsThis was hard to understand and navigate on my own. I had to have our CPA show me just exactly where to find everything and how to set things up.
September 21, 2019
Ashley M.
October 19, 2018

“Easy to Understand Reports Make Filing Sales Taxes so much Easier!”

ProsAs the only employee in my small business, I am tasked with every duty, including filing sales taxes in over 30 states. I have utilized AutoFile services on the 3 largest states to save myself time, and surprisingly I have been able to handle the workload of the remaining states on my own due to the simplicity of the reports provided by TaxJar.
ConsOccasionally there is a discrepancy in the total amount of tax collected versus the expected taxes due, but I would suspect in my case that it is due to errors in Amazon's tax collecting formulas. I do wish Amazon and TaxJar could work together to get those numbers to match.
October 19, 2018
Mark S.
April 18, 2018

“Great”

ProsEase of use, easy to login and check status also the filing is really easy and is taking the stress off paying taxes
ConsConfusing ways to auto file. Not clear on ways to file. Need more training videos. Some graphics aren't clear whether we are files or not. Otherwise s great program.
April 18, 2018
Heather O.
Managing Partner
April 11, 2018

“TaxJar addresses a major pain point in my business and does it well.”

ProsFor the amount of data that is available, the layout doesn't feel overwhelming. There are helpful tip icons for certain items that make the software easier to learn.
ConsI think the cost for autofiling is a bit high, especially in the states which I file monthly. Perhaps a tiered pricing model?
Retail, Unspecified
June 27, 2018

“Great Tool for a Growing Problem for Online Sellers”

ProsAutofile is very nice, navigation and articles/help/support through all the tax laws of each state is very useful
ConsThough cheaper than some, still pricey. Works well with Amazon, other platforms a little less; still a lot of unanswered questions
June 27, 2018
Sandi H.
Controller
Education Management, 1-10 employees
April 25, 2018

“Great customer support!!! ”

OverallSales tax is challenging, even our tax firm recommended we find a specialist for sales tax. They recommended Taxjar and I have been amazed how easy they are to work with.
ProsVery easy to use software, and amazing customer support. I have only needed support a few times, but every time it is so easy to get ahold of them and they resolve issues very quickly.
ConsI really like everything about Taxjar in the last year I have been using them. I would highly recommend.
April 25, 2018
Noam B.
COO
April 12, 2018

“Super easy to use - saves us a lot of time”

ProsEasy to setup Automatic Tax fillings - less headache for me Connects to our eCommerce platform Great support
ConsWhile we haven't got to the next pricing tier - this could get a bit pricey, depending on your monthly transactions
Maggie M.
Co-Owner
June 7, 2017

“Super Useful, But Overpriced”

ProsIt streamlines tax collection and puts all the information in one place, which makes it really easy for me to collect sales tax accurately in my new, small business. It helps me stay in compliance, which I was previously struggling to keep up with.
ConsIt is without a doubt overpriced. All it does is put readily available information in one place. So it saves time, but it's not really providing anything grand and exclusive. If I had to do it once a year, I'd do it without TaxJar - but since I have to do it every 30 days, it helps to have the data in one place in spite of the cost.
June 7, 2017
Gabriele M.
Trainer
July 25, 2019

“Life Changing For Any E-Commerce Store”

ProsIt's very easy to use unlike other softwares and their tax-are calculations are always right.
ConsThe software does not work well if you sell on channels that do not integrate with TaxJar.
July 25, 2019
Melvin R.
Engineer
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
October 24, 2018

“Good for small shops”

ProsNice that this company will take care of all the sales tax questions you have
ConsThey only have a 30 day trial and it's a bit expensive after that
October 24, 2018
Kelly R.
December 5, 2017

“Great software for small business”

OverallI would recommend this product to anyone using Shopify as their ecommerce platform but not if they are using Wix.com
ProsThis software took care of all of my bookkeeping worries. It integrates seamlessly with Shopify. You pretty much just set up all of your details at the beginning and let TaxJar do the dirty work.
ConsI recently switched to Wix.com as my ecommerce platform. I was disappointed to find that there was no TaxJar app to pair seamlessly with my site like when I was with Shopify. I'm hoping that they change that one day.
Brandon L.
Co-Owner/Founder
June 22, 2018

“Tax Jar helps my Amazon business track quarterly sales tax.”

OverallMakes it very easy to stay on top of our state sales tax reports.
ProsEasy to use. Works with every state. You are able to automate, so it doesn't take long to use. It's everything you could need.
ConsI really don't have a negative thing to say about the software. No one likes paying taxes, and TaxJar makes the process painless
June 22, 2018
Erik P.

“No problems!”

ProsEasy to use, self-explanatory, and concise. The cost is easy to swallow for comfort and peace of mind.
Syed Mustafa F.
Associate Technology
March 31, 2019

“Hands down the best solution for E-commerce businesses.”

OverallPaying taxes for my Shopify online E-Commerce store was being very hard given all the customers I get were from all around the world. Tax Jar got my problems off my shoulders. One less thing to worry about now.
ProsIt's extremely easy to integrate with your Shopify website. And it's very easy to use as well.
ConsThe free version does not give you enough options. For an emerging startup as mine, it was hard to pay for it initially.
March 31, 2019
Darlene M.
October 4, 2018

“Fast and Personalized Service!”

OverallThe most important thing about this software and TaxJar as a company was the fast customer service. Everyone was always very helpful to me with my questions and software navigation. Im so happy I joined TaxJar as my state tax service
ProsI am not a computer wiz but this software was easy to understand and navigate through.
ConsI did not find any area of this software that was difficult to understand or navigate through.
Steve S.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
December 4, 2017

“Great product for collecting and reporting sales tax for any ecommerce site.”

ProsEasy to setup. Easy to use. Straight forward pricing plans. The signup process is simple and fast. Ready connections to popular shopping carts, CMS and accounting systems. Automated tax filing available.
ConsThe automated filing is great but I think it will have to be based on volume and not flat fee. When there are no transactions to report to any nexus state it seems a little bit costly.
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 employees
December 12, 2018

“Would be lost without it”

ProsWith all of the changes going on with sales tax these guys help set you up with all of the tools you need to be compliant.
ConsThe software and the team are great, I would highly recommend them.
June 21, 2018

“Relatively easy to use”

ProsThis site is easy to use and gathers data pretty accurately. I like the different tax features available to users, especially in different states.
ConsThis is pricey for what I needed it for. I wanted it to calculate some Ebay things for me, but I ended up using a GoDaddy program that is about half the price of the lowest option on TaxJar.
June 21, 2018
Samuel H.
December 4, 2017

“TaxJar is great. It really made sales taxes easier and manageable.”

ProsIt's easy to get set up and easy to use. The auto file feature is awesome for the headache States. They also offer a lot of helpful info on their blog.
ConsI wish it had better instructions on how to navigate the states websites. They are all a maze and every one is different, making it really challenging just to register to pay them sales tax.
Jenny M.
April 25, 2019

“Taxjar saves me time”

ProsThis software saves me time and headaches. It figures out all my sales tax for me. No more spending hours figuring all that out to submit to the state. Truly a business saver
ConsThere really isn't anything I don't like about this software. It has actually saved me tons of money and time
April 25, 2019
Trevor F.
Accountant
March 20, 2018

“At our firm we suggest all of our clients use TaxJar for their sales tax. ”

ProsI like how easy TaxJar makes it for our clients to make sales tax payments and that they have interegrations to accounting software like Xero.
ConsEven though I like that they have made an integration for Xero, I think that the integration could be cleaned up to avoid duplicate transactions.
March 20, 2018
Elaine T.
Associate
Retail, 201-500 employees
August 15, 2019

“Quick tax calculations”

ProsIt calculates and presents easy to understand & accurate taxes for state / county / local taxes
ConsIt's difficult to use this if you offer customers gift cards for returned merchandise - it double calculates taxes paid since the returned merchandise is not refunded
August 15, 2019
Chris W.
April 30, 2018

“It's become a life-saver for our small business”

ProsI am so happy to have found this app! It integrates with our Squarespace website and saves hours of time and confusion to automate the sales tax payments to our state. Highly recommend it!
ConsI only wish that they could make it more clear as to exactly what sales tax to be collecting from our customers. Their SmartCalcs portion of the app seems great, but have yet to figure out how to integrate that with our Squarespace site.
April 30, 2018
Shawn B.
Small Business Owner
February 11, 2019

“Let TaxJar do your taxes!”

OverallI needed major help with doing my sales and use tax. I just put in the numbers and it did everything else for me!
ProsThe software was simple to use. I had my sales and use taxes done and paid in no time with this software.
ConsThere really wasn't anything I didn't like about this software.
February 11, 2019