Hotjar Ratings

Overall
4.7/5
4.6/5

About Hotjar

Hotjar is the fast & visual way to understand your users. Hotjar is everything your team needs to get instant visual feedback, see how people are really using your site and uncover insights to make the right changes. Hotjar heatmaps helps you understand what users want, care about, and do on your site by visually representing their clicks, taps, and scrolling behavior. Learn more about Hotjar

Akande D.
Marketing Communications Specialist
Consumer Goods, 1001-5000 employees
August 22, 2019

“HotJar is an awesome tool for studying websites and optimizing!”

OverallOverall HotJar is a great platform and I am one of their biggest advocates. I would recommend HotJar to anyone looking to enhance their understanding of on-site traffic and conversion.
ProsAt each company that I have worked for, I always bring up HotJar as a solution they should implement as soon as possible. It is so easy to use and allows for such a comprehensive view of the customer experience that it's a loss to NOT use it! I love that it can capture click data, scroll depth, and even user interactions on the website. There is so much valuable information to be pulled from the data!
ConsThere are two things that I'm a little bummed out about with HotJar. One issue is that they recently removed cross-domain tracking. This was a great benefit and we used it often, so not having it is tough. They also have a limit on the height of the pages that can be captured, 1500px. Our pages are slightly larger so we lose some detail on the report that we would have otherwise had.

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey Akande, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar! It's great to read that you're getting a lot of value from the tool :) It's indeed the case that we removed cross-domain tracking in light of our continued commitment to privacy-by-design. I'm sorry to hear that working with the tool is a bit tough without this - we'd like to help if we can! Do reach out to us at support@hotjar.com if you've got questions. Following up your note on the height of captured pages for Heatmaps - we do have a 15000px limit, but if it's a pain point I'd definitely suggest using the Suggest a Feature function in-app to let us know what you need :) All best, Alex
August 22, 2019
Ratish K.
Digital Marketing Analyst
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
December 5, 2018

“Hotjar Really Helped Us Leverage Our Business!”

OverallMy overall experience has been good so far. Initially, we were worried about the user insights and heatmaps to test the pages/CTA'S for better campaigning of our products. But, as soon as we started utilizing the set of tools from Hotjar we are so happy that we are able to find a quick solution for problem that helps our business grow and provide our customers with a GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!
ProsHave been using Hotjar for more than a couple of years and is the opinion on the tool 1. Hotjar has a very simple and easily accessible dashboard that has Heatmaps, Visitor recordings, Funnels created, Active polls, Surveys, and Recruiters. 2. Heatmaps have really helped us understand the landing pages and test various parameters for many of our marketing/advertising campaigns. 3. Visitor recordings and monitoring are soo good that helped us understand and rectify the issues that users come across. This has really helped our engineering/technical team in identifying the bug and fixing it ASAP thus resolving our customer issues quickly. 4. Had some experience on using the funnels as well which gave us some ideas on how to better modify the landing pages and we were able to understand the content. 5. The polls part has also added value to our business by letting us know on what the visitors are missing on our website. 6. The pricing of this tool is reasonable that students, enthusiasts and start-up companies can easily afford it. We have started with Basic Free Forever plan and later upgraded to Plus plan once our website started getting some good amount of traffic. 7. Multiple filter feature saves our time in analyzing the important pages and metrics. 8. Being a member of the customer success team for a couple of SAAS products I analyzed and learned some good metrics that helped our business grow. 9. Hotjar can be used by any team member like Digital Marketers, Support Agent
ConsAlthough I do not have any cons in my mind regarding this tool I would just like to suggest the Hotjar team to give us quick response for any queries/ issues by providing instant live chat option.
December 5, 2018
Jeffrey H.
Business Development
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
September 10, 2019

“Must Have for landing Pages”

OverallHotjar has allowed us to test ideas with web design. It helps confirm the effectiveness of certain visual cues, the flow of information and the effectiveness of the overall sales funnel by showing us exactly where the viewers attention is going on our web page. It has been an essential source for our overall analytics and critical to our design process.
ProsHotjar adds a much-needed type of analytics to your arsenal. It allows you to see exactly what your page-viewers (potential buyers) are doing, seeing and spending time on your landing page or funnel. It allows you to test different design cues or features and see how your targets react. Also, the pricing is very convenient. Having this tool for free up to 200 pageviews per day is huge. it's just one of those tools that you need if you want to build new landing pages and help them convert.
ConsThe only issue I've had with this tool thus far is sometimes the screen recordings come out laggy or completely black, but this happens rarely. Other than that, it's been very informative and a great addition to our toolset.

By Hotjar on October 15, 2019
Hey Jeffrey, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We love feedback and it's great to hear you consider our tool an essential part of landing page optimization! Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Recordings. Feel free to reach out to support@hotjar.com and someone will be able to take a look into the issue. Best, Kayleigh
September 10, 2019
David R.
Conversion Consultant
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
September 3, 2019

“The ultimate voice of visitor tool - no need for anything else”

OverallHotjar shortcuts hours of quant research by letting you SEE what's happening on your web pages, and HEAR a users thoughts. Priceless if you're in the business of designing web pages that serve your users better.
ProsIt's a one-stop shop. No need for expensive subscriptions to multiple tools. Everything you need to understand your visitors is at your fingertips. The only condition for success is that you actually use it!
ConsVery difficult to think of a disadvantage. It's cheap. Fully featured. Customer support is great. Perhaps the fact that you can't run a/b tests too. But there's plenty of other great tools for that.

By Hotjar on October 14, 2019
Hey David, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We really appreciate it and it's great to hear you that you consider the tool essential in understanding your visitors. Best, Kayleigh
September 3, 2019
Ranvir G.
Co-Founder
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
December 25, 2018

“Analytics on steroids”

ProsFrom a marketing point of view it is an absolute necessity to know which areas of your webpage does your visitor interact with most and what can you do to create more engagement. It is also essential for a marketeer to undestand which pages of portions of a page leads to users bouncing off the site. I used to use google analytics for most of my analytics works it simply did not work. That's when I found hotjar and it was the thing of my dreams. It let me see usign heatmeaps the exact areas where users are interacting with most and allowed us to create suer polls right on the site for users to tell us what they would like us to add to the site.
ConsThough no one should mind paying for such a great tool, and its offers a lot of features for free, some of them like unlimited storage of analytic reports will only be available to paying users, but thats only fair as far as I am concerned. Apart from this I have never found any other issue with their application.
December 25, 2018
October 10, 2018

“Started from the bottom, now we here”

OverallI've been a beta user and I've now been using Hotjar for over 2 years (even have the tshirt to prove it). While other tools such as Zoho PageSense, MouseFlow and Inspectlet do a similar job, Hotjar makes it dead-simple. Heatmaps and visitor recordings are a godsend, next to regular anayltics. And every single feature is free? That's beyond crazy!
Pros- Heatmaps and visitors recordings work like a charm and provide a great deal of information. - If Google Analytics tells you what and how many, Hotjar tells you why: polls make it easy to gather user feedback. - Using all of its features, you can get a better grasp into why people don't fill in a certain form or don't buy a product.
Cons- Some features are blocked behind a paywall. - Organization of sites and companies can get confusing at times. - Not all descriptions make it clear what a specific feature does.
October 10, 2018
Furniture, 51-200 employees
January 18, 2018

“Hotjar is an easy and affordable user feedback tool that helps us tailor user experience.”

OverallWe've used hotjar to identify navigational, organizational, and functional issues on our website that crop up in actual use, issues that may not appear in our daily use or testing. It allows us to see how users are interacting with our site and collect user feedback, and that lets us find ways to improve the experience
ProsUsing hotjar is like being able to stand next to your users and watch them use your site. This gives you actionable insight that many times numbers alone may not be able to tell you. And if you are someone who isn't comfortable sifting through analytics, it makes it extremely simple to identify potential problem areas in the user experience that you, being familiar with the site, might miss. The features are all sufficiently developed to be able to handle most straightforward tasks. Also, Hotjar is (at the time of this writing) very affordable for what you get out of it. My primary site is a local home goods retailer. We mostly use the session recording and heatmapping features, in addition to the poll feature. There are other features, such as the conversion funnel tracking, survey feature, and others. Although we don't use those much, the solution more than worth it for the recording and heatmapping. Their support is also fast and helpful.
ConsThere aren't many things to not like about Hotjar. I suppose one of the issues I have run into is that the conversion funnel tracking tool doesn't seem to accurately report metrics for us. I've never bothered to try and get this fixed since we use other methods to evaluate conversion funnels anyway. Otherwise, I haven't encountered any notable issues.
January 18, 2018
Luca R.
Online Media, 1-10 employees
August 27, 2019

“Hotjar-A guarantee of quality”

ProsHotjar is incredibly easy to setup. The learning curve is basically flat. The product is cheap and has a great free version.
ConsIt can slow down your website without you noticing it. Look at Google Developer Tools, the time to interactive value.

By Hotjar on August 29, 2019
Hey there Luca, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it! Brilliant to hear you find the tool easy to use. Following up your feedback on site speed - have you had a look at this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- On average the initialization of Hotjar has a minimal impact on the page being usable (around 0.01 seconds) and adds around 0.3 seconds to the overall page completion. In the article I link above we also dive into some more factors to consider about speed testing. Most importantly - we'd love to help if you're finding this is causing any issues at all! :) The team is available at support@hotjar.com. All best, Alex
August 27, 2019
Ioana G.
User Researcher
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 201-500 employees
August 14, 2019

“Great little tool for starting your UX research”

OverallI would be surprised if there was a CRO or UX team that hasn't heard of Hotjar. It's a great little tool, especially given the price, but it doesn't allow enough flexibility to be your main on-site research tool. It's really good for starting out and doing some basic research. Sweet and simple! I guess marketers could benefit the most from this!
ProsPrice. Simplicity of implementation. Good customer service. The scrollmaps and polls are my favourite, and only features I use.
ConsPotentially slows down the site. Loads the entire js even when only running a poll, so puts unnecessary load on the page speed. Forms have nearly never worked on any of the websites I have used it on. Funnel I don't really use - I don't see the point really. Free GA will still be far better and more useful at that. Polls have very simplistic targeting methods. Adding one or two new targeting triggers would be awesome...but they haven't released any new features in ages. Heatmaps are still very simple with no ability of segmenting the data. I can't complain for the really accessible prices they have been able to maintain though!

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey Ioana! Thanks so much for leaving this review and sharing your thoughts on Hotjar. Following up your feedback - we're always focused on minimizing any increased page load time with the Hotjar script on your site. Have you checked out this resource? https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335727-Will-Hotjar-Slow-Down-My-Site- If you're having trouble please reach out at support@hotjar.com and we can take a look with you. There's new targeting and filtering functionality on the product roadmap :) https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap Stay tuned for that! All best, Alex
Carlos M.
Desarrollador web
Design, 201-500 employees
April 25, 2019

“The eyes you should have on your website”

OverallAs a web designer this tool allowed me to track activity of the first users and detect things like: resposive problems, image problems, where the users are lost, where the users dont click and why, where the use leaves my website and why and what the user experience was overall. My experience with this tool has been almost fantastic, I would recomend it to every webmaster.
ProsHotjar is a very useful app, integrated with websites will allow you to track the heatmaps and every action the user made, divided by device and showing every data you can need and even more. It also has the hability to record every action of the user or track a funnel performance, I recommend this tool specially to optimize websites, because it will allow you to know where exactly the user is lost.
ConsWhat I dont like if this software is that I would like to advice users that they are going to be recorded somehow but it doesnt have that option. I would also make a simpler design for admin the websites, right now it can be a little messy for new users.
April 25, 2019
Jessie B.
Website Marketing Specialist
Internet, 201-500 employees
August 8, 2018

“Essential app for web testing and user research”

OverallIt's been crucial in giving us clarity in how people interact with our website, whether or not they're seeing essential pieces of content, and make design decisions based on that data.
ProsWe switched from CrazyEgg to Hotjar over a year ago, and haven't looked back. At the time, CrazyEgg didn't offer user videos (videos of people using our website) and Hotjar did, so we switched over. What I love most about Hotjar is that it's not just providing insights about how our users click and scroll via heatmaps, but I can gather more qualitative data by setting up polls or video recordings as well. The "share this heatmap" feature (where I can get a unique link to a heatmap that I can share with anyone on my team -- regardless of if they have access to Hotjar or not) is super handy as well. It helps me collaborate with our user researchers or send data to other teams (I sit on the web marketing team) when I find insights that they'd find valuable.
ConsI wish I could have more flexibility with the design and branding of the polls. The few times I've added one to our website, it looks a little frankenstein-y in comparison to the rest of our design.
August 8, 2018
Justin L.
Marketing Operations Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
August 8, 2017

“Wow, What a Product!”

OverallWithin an hour of integrating it into our site and CRM (which took only minutes), we were getting recordings of user visits and heat maps, greatly increasing our ability to quickly improve the performance of our website and marketing campaigns.
ProsWhat DON'T I like about this software is more like it. I'm blown away that there's not more reviews for HotJar and am very happy to have spotted this opportunity to give them some love. HotJar is easily the best value-to-price behavior mapping software of its kind, and I've used and shopped for several of them. That pretty much sums it up. From heat mapping to visitor recordings to polling functionality, I simply haven't had to look for another solution since I found it, and it is much more cost-effective than its competitors. Its integrations that we have implemented have worked splendidly, as well. 5 stars, hands down.
ConsI'm only listing "cons" because I have to to submit this review. Some of its user interface wasn't completely intuitive to me at first but I overcame it quickly and don't think it's fair to expect every software program to not come with a little bit of a learning curve. Within a couple of days I was navigating it fluidly.
August 8, 2017
Crystal I.
Marketing Content Developer
Insurance, 11-50 employees
May 31, 2017

“Watch, Change, Improve, Repeat”

ProsStumbled across Hotjar after paying way too much with another company. Hotjar is the best thing on the market for price, hands-down. It is easy to use, easy to set up, and you can be recording users, generating heat maps, and collecting polls from day one. We used Hotjar primarily for recordings and polls. Recordings are crisp, easy to watch, and I love that you can add notes to the video WHILE you are watching. And then save those notes for other people on your team to see later. The polls feature is great. Many options for when the poll launches. Hotjar makes it easy to analyze your data, or export it and analyze it on your own.
ConsThe only downside is that Hotjar cannot record what happens inside an iframe. Such a bummer if you really need to see how your users interact.
May 31, 2017
Medical Devices, 11-50 employees
June 28, 2019

“Great Way to Track Website Activity!”

OverallOverall great experience! Really helps us see the functionality of our website through the eyes of the user.
ProsKind of crazy there's a service that exists that literally captures video of the user's time on your website! It's like a video recording of each session. We can see exactly where the mouse goes, and which landing pages they're going to, and where they last are before leaving our site
ConsWish the recording gave us more info on the user. I know that's probably a violation of privacy, but it would be cool! That way we could reach out to them directly to see if they had any questions or needed help finding the right product
June 28, 2019
June 7, 2019

“Hotjar Review”

OverallI use Hotjar to analyze load times and user journey on my website. This has really helped me see how far users are going through the site and which pages are more successful. I've also learned which call to actions are getting the most traction.
ProsI love being able to track users as they access and view my website. The heatmaps are very informative and useful for A/B testing with the site.
ConsI wish that the software provided more information about website visitors. The biggest downside is that I am unable to use the heatmap functionality for the email signup popup that is located on the site. I would like to be able to see what user's behavior looks like there.
June 7, 2019
Broadcast Media, 51-200 employees
December 4, 2018

“Does what it needs to do”

OverallWe are capturing feedback from our members right after they make a donation to our organization. This is a great way for us to know why our members support the organization. Being able to more accurately attribute them to individual members in our CRM would be very beneficial.
ProsWe are only using this tool for post transaction surveys. Creating a quick survey and linking it to a landing page is very quick and easy. There are no widgets to install, you simply feed the tool the landing page URL and it will link the survey to the page. When your user hits the page, a request that they take a survey pops up. You are given the option to perform the pop-up on page load or with a slight delay. I can set up a new survey and link to it in under 10 minutes - and I can clone other surveys (though it is a little difficult to find this option). The documentation is pretty well done and has been helpful.
ConsThe tool is not geared toward automation of the results. You can't edit a small typo in your questions, any changes and the tool automatically creates a new question and I believe deactivates the other. This means your results are now split into two columns. While I understand the logic behind this, there should be a way to simply edit a typo. I wish there was a way to have an internal name for the surveys so I can easily identify what and when I used a specific survey. I also wish there was a way to archive the results so that I am not reviewing already reviewed answers. I'm hoping there will be a more open api in the future so I could pass in an account id and pull the data directly from Hot Jar into my CRM.
December 4, 2018
Carlos I.
COO
June 27, 2019

“Hotjar - Heatmaps Software Review”

OverallI've used 3 heatmap software using my own server and cloud hosted, but Hotjar is the best by far. The one i used that is server hosted gets a warning from services like Google Ads and Google Tag Manager.
ProsHeatmaps, user recordings and polls are very easy to set up once your code is installed. By the way i recommend you install the tracking code using Google Tag manager which has a tag ready for hotjar, you only need to input your ID. Heatmaps are very useful when it comes to understand user behaviour and user experience. Also this software does not generate any warning from advertising networks and is 100% compliant with GDPR.
ConsIt automatically does not track 100% of traffic (but i think you can set up to track 100% traffic). Also sometimes is hard to go to see your settings if you have multiple business (eg: if you are and agency and your setting up heatmaps for your clients).
June 27, 2019
Arthur M.
Product Manager
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
October 1, 2018

“You can't say you're "User centric" without using Hotjar!”

Pros- Recordings are great and can tell you a lot on where our users are having trouble - Heatmaps - teaches us where are they looking and what components are getting traction - Incoming feedback - THE BEST feature for interacting quickly with your customers (also very recommended to generate their responses to Zendesk) - Love using pools - you will be surprised how good it works if you ask the right question in the right time - Very responsive and professional customer support - Affordable business plan
Cons- Advanced feature - link between recording ID to the Incoming feedback - this way you can match the feedback/complaint to the actual users' behavior on your site/product - The conversion funnel could be improved - Live chat could be a major plus (can potenialy replace intercom )
October 1, 2018
Vinicius A.
Designer
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
September 9, 2019

“User Research Easy”

OverallIt's a great tool for those working as a user experience designer or product manager, to implement a change and test through post-use analysis, understand product gaps and generate insights to create new features. It has helped us to implemented our onboarding process in the product.
ProsWe are using Hotjar in my company to do usage analysis of our product, we can know where the user is accessing, how long he has used the tool, what actions he has completed or not... it is a great tool for understanding how intuitive the our product is. The tool that we use most is the visitors recordings. We have the free version, and it record up to 100% of all accesses, and I can watch video at up to 4x speed, all within the hotjar platform itself.
ConsIt blocks all the sensitive data (like text, images, etc.), I understand that is for security of the users, but in the recordings gets a little hard to understand what the user is really doing. However, I can't say what is really negative about it (the biggest problem was finding out that our product is not as affordable as we expected), so I would need to investigate another competing tool.

By Hotjar on October 14, 2019
Hey Vinicius, Thanks so much for reviewing Hotjar! We really appreciate it and it's great to hear that you are drawing so much value from the tool. To add some clarity on sensitive data, we anonymize personal data on Recordings to allow our customers to use Hotjar in a GDPR compliant manner. Best, Kayleigh
September 9, 2019
Elaine T.
Associate
Retail, 201-500 employees
August 16, 2019

“Great for customer insights”

ProsAbility to see where customers were interacting most with my pages and watch videos of their actual visits
ConsLack of more identifiable information (which is understood) prevents us from better assisting customers who had issues but may not have reached out to our customer service team. Also, having to manually restart capturing in increments of 1,000 / 2,000 visitors

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey Elaine, Thanks so much for taking the time to review Hotjar. Great to read about the valuable insights you're getting from the tool! Following up your point about identifying customers - keep an eye on our roadmap for new functionality which will help with this: https://help.hotjar.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012303268-Product-Roadmap (There's a survey link on that roadmap page which asks about what kind of use you'd make of this functionality - if you have a minute, we'd love to get your thoughts) Many thanks and all best, Alex
August 16, 2019
August 14, 2019

“Click tracking made easy”

ProsThe software is simple to use - easy to instal, setup and run experiments and analyse data
ConsThere are many products on the market that boast a significant difference - this is quite similar to many of the others

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey there! Thanks so much for leaving us a review. Great to hear that you find Hotjar easy to use :) Best Alex
Renea H.
Used the software for: I used a free trial
June 28, 2018

“Big Company Tools At Affordable Small Business Pricing!”

OverallThis particular software is literally a major insight for me and how people use my site I love it!
ProsThe powerful thing about Hotjar is that it can track and record session when potential customers visit my site. What attracted me to Hotjar was noticing how many major companies that I follow and use in business have deployed Hotjar. It made me think along these lines instantly: Does it have a free trial? Is it affordable? Is it subscription based or do I have to purchase a license? I was able to say "yes" to all of these.
ConsIt was difficult for me to find any cons for this one. The only thing I can see for improvement is once the trial is ended, there is an option to continue with where I started or downgrade to free plan. Once I chose the option, a page says let's get started. It's a bit confusing because unless I notice on desktop the little green button pop up to the right that says plan changed successfully, I would have attempted to start over.
June 28, 2018
Amber C.
Inbound Marketing Strategist
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
October 14, 2019

“Free Plan is Great, Pro Plan is Better!”

OverallAs an account strategist and an account manager at a marketing company, this conversation happens often. I'll suggest a website change to try and increase conversions and the client will say "why do I need this? my website is perfect!". Thanks to Hotjar, I can prove usability problems, show footage of potential customers getting stumped by an odd process or flow and give my client data where even they can see a change is necessary. It helps me perform better for my clients and helps provide something unique in terms of data that other agencies may not provide.
ProsHotjar is easy to use, easy to set up and pulls great data from your website on usability and conversion topics. At the very minimum for our clients, we set them up on a free plan where you can set up three heatmaps or other reports and 300 site recordings with a site that gets under 2,000 pageviews a day. The pro plan collects more data and more reports from higher traffic websites. Honestly, if you're not tracking these things, you're missing a huge opportunity!
ConsIt's tough to think of a disadvantage to HotJar or a problem I have with the software. It tracks critical data. The free plan is AWESOME and it's easy to implement and use.

By Hotjar on October 18, 2019
Hi Amber, Alex here from Hotjar's marketing team. Thanks so much for taking the time to review us - we appreciate it! Reading your comments it's great to hear how useful Hotjar is for you in proving out user-driven improvements to impact conversion.
October 14, 2019
September 26, 2019

“An Incredible Tool for Tracking User Behaviour on a Website”

OverallOverall, amazing experience! Recommended to anyone who is into website optimisation, SEO, and technology!
ProsThe best part about this tool is it lets you see what your users are doing after landing on your website. Tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics provides the best information on how you acquired the user but Hotjar shows you what the users are doing after coming through different channels! Webmasters use this data to analyse and fix the issues on their website. The implementation is easy and you can start collecting data from day 1.
ConsConsidering the number of benefits it has, its pricing is on a bit on the higher side. Also, I have used the Russian Tool - Yandex Metrica which provides the same amount of information for free. But if you have the budget, definitely go for it!

By Hotjar on October 17, 2019
Hey there, Alex here from the Hotjar marketing team. Really happy to hear you're getting a lot of value from Hotjar! Thank you for the review.
September 26, 2019
Jason B.
Vice President of Analytics
Public Relations and Communications, 11-50 employees
April 16, 2019

“HotJar should always be included as part of any website. Not the best, but very little downside.”

OverallI always highly recommend HotJar as the first step in developing any tech stack. It's free, simple to implement and overall provides great insight into how users are navigating your website. On it's own, HotJar is rather limited but as part of a larger data strategy, it fits in perfectly.
ProsEasy-to-use and provides immense value for it's cost (there's a free version for smaller companies). HotJar acts as a perfect complement to Google Analytics. Heatmapping and video recording provide a level of depth that Google Analytics can't provide and allows companies to truly understand their customers' experience.
ConsHotjar serves a very specific niche: the ability to better understand how a user navigates your website. It's hard to scale (there's a limited amount of video recordings you can have) and heatmaps only give you general, top-line insights.
April 16, 2019
Chris C.
Director of Operations
11-50 employees
March 16, 2018

“Great conversion optimization tool!”

OverallIt isn't free, but at the same time, it is worth the money. Easy to implement and the value is there for the cost.
ProsI love Hotjar for the heatmaps, user session recordings, conversion funnels analysis, and the detailed analytics. This is a great tool to help make the analytical data come to life with visuals. You can record sessions and analyze them to them make adjustments for future visitors. Can't beat the great data that you get from this tool!
March 16, 2018
Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees
November 8, 2018

“A great heatmap solution to cover your basic needs”

OverallA great tool that allows us to capture heatmap data that is quick and easy to setup. Using the system is also very user-friendly. A worthy alternative to other solutions currently out there in the market.
ProsIt's easy to setup and use- especially since it's all done in the cloud. You'll start collecting data in minutes. Over time, we have been able to make actionable changes to our software's website homepage based on the click/hover insights generated by hotjar after months of activity.
ConsThey email you practically every day asking you to upgrade. I appreciate that they offer a variety of solutions at a relatively low price, but getting contacted regularly makes its a little overwhelming. I had to un-subscribe to receiving emails from hotjar to get peace of mind!
November 8, 2018
tomer d.
Natural health Bag
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
December 15, 2018

“the best tool outhere for visitors recordgin”

ProsI'm using it now for 3 years already and enjoy using it daily, the features I'm using are not just the visitor's recordings but also the pools, the heatmap tool, and the funnels this all together.
ConsI liked the polls features by far, it allows me to capture more leads by customers asking questions and I can get back to them and do a follow up series on them :)
December 15, 2018
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
July 16, 2019

“gain valuable info on how people use your website”

ProsHotjar is a very practical and valuable tool for analyzing how our website visitors interact with our content. We mostly use heatmaps right now - analyzing specific web pages to see which content is engaging to users and understand the behavior of users. We couldn't do it without Hotjar.
ConsRight now there are no complaints on our end about Hotjar. They have a lot of features that we haven't explored yet but plan on diving into this year. I will say that Hotjar positions themselves for websites; as a software development firm, it would be nice to have something like Hotjar to not only analyze our website visitors but also our software users. Hotjar doesn't appear to yet have a solution targeted to anything but websites.
July 16, 2019
Brandon M.
Website Developer
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
November 6, 2018

“Great product, very helpful insights gained”

OverallAs I stated above, we use Hotjar for A/B testing. We look at heat maps, click maps, and screen recordings to track patterns of users and that informs which elements on a page we test variations of.
ProsI can't possibly overstate how much value we get out of the heat map feature. We have been A/B testing on our site on several pages for a number of years, and it wouldn't have been as near as effective if we didn't have the insights gleaned from the heat maps on those pages.
ConsI wish there was a way to make certain heat maps automatically restart, with a new version number appended to the title each time. With as much traffic as our site gets, I have to go in almost every day and restart a number of the heat maps.
November 6, 2018
Vijay K.
Growth Hacker
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
September 28, 2016

“A must have for New Age Marketers. Period.”

OverallNo need to waste your money for various tools to ace conversion optimization for your site. Hotjar is one of the main tools of my marketing toolkit. It is pretty awesome. The kind of insights and analytics it provides it gold. Combining the insights of all the tools it provides, it gives you a bigger picture about your website performance and gaps. Start using it today to take your website performance to the next level
Pros1) All in one tool - Heatmaps, Website Surveys, Website Visitors Recording, Feedback Polls 2) Economical 3) Easy to use
ConsI personally love this tool and use this for 3 different sites. The money I pay to them is the best investment I do for marketing.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are looking for an economical tool to take your website conversions to the next level, then you should start using Hotjar Now.
September 28, 2016
July 22, 2019

“Our go-to solution for recording user behaviour”

ProsEasy to set up out-of-the-box, but still has enough functionality to create funnels, heatmaps, and recordings based on custom parameters (such as geo, user flow, etc).
ConsCan get quite expensive, and session recordings are capped at specific #s (depends on the tier). Would rather have it cycle (where new recordings cycle through and overwrite the oldest recordings), instead of session recordings stopping after it reaches 1k, 10k, etc.
Internet, Self-employed
May 13, 2019

“Great Free Version with worthwhile upgrades”

OverallHotjar is always on my list of recommendations for new clients. It offers really valuable feedback in a simple to understand format -- powerful data even at the free version
ProsReally useful and easy-to-understand data, free version is actually usable, upgrades are well-priced
Consadds significant weight and load-time to websites
May 13, 2019
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
March 2, 2019

“The minimum required for every new (or existing) website!”

OverallHotJar has saved me on a number of occasions where only through viewing heatmaps and user sessions have I found a roadblock that was causing issues (directly affecting revenue!)
Pros- Lightweight - Free version which is actually useful - Super easy to integrate, which can now be done directly in Tag Manager - Great knowledgeable and plenty of valuable industry resources to read through
ConsSome elements have had to be stripped back post-GDPR; previously seeing the input of some fields was useful for debugging validation for example, but I guess this is a necessary. Always throws up an error on Google's PageSpeed tool, although they have commented on this in their documentation.
March 2, 2019
Ahmet A.
General Manager
Building Materials, 201-500 employees
November 30, 2018

“An important tool for our company”

ProsFor a construction company, it is very important to track and analyze customer feedback. HotJar application does a good job with the declared functions. With this program you can easily create a survey of needs and produce analytics forms.
ConsI didn't like the fact that there are no notifications and it's impossible to analyze links, keywords and competitors. I would like more built-in functions. The rest is quite a decent application.
November 30, 2018
Dwight Z.
November 3, 2018

“Great visible analytics to guide changes”

ProsThe interface is awesome, very easy to use. Setting up a client and starting a heatmap and getting specific for a page, a timed action is great. Same for user recordings. Also really like immediate feedback tab and polls. The script is easy to set-up website / serverside.
ConsIt's a Little pricey but once you use it you'll find the value. Another drawback is more JS for your site to trigger. If you already have enough requests this will be another.
November 3, 2018
Nathan R.
SEO Specialist
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
August 1, 2019

“Amazing Product! Almost Like Magic!”

OverallOverall, I have no complaints. It does what it says it does.
ProsI love the heatmap function that allows us to see how users interact with our site.
ConsI wish the video function was more functional.

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey Nathan, Thanks so much for your review! It's great to hear that our tool works like magic. ('almost' ) Would love to know a bit more about what you mean with making the video function more functional - all product feedback is taken onboard, so please feel free to reach back. Best Alex
August 1, 2019
November 20, 2018

“Multi Functional ”

OverallOverall this product was really useful and allowed us to make informed decisions regarding our website strategy and effectively communicate recommendations to our clients.
ProsAs a Hotjar user, I was really impressed with how versatile this software was. It allowed us to better understand how people move around our website and what areas were creating issues for our users. It allowed us to easily explain these problems to our clients and were an effective tool in the Growth Driven Design Process. We also used it when launching new sites. Videos allowed us to see what our clients were getting hung up while on the site making it easy to understand what changes needed to be made or what areas were causing them headaches. I did not set up our Hotjar accounts so I don't know what level of expertise is required but it seemed straighforward.
ConsHotjar is not equipped to analyze all forms and increased load times on some sites.
November 20, 2018
Media Production, 11-50 employees
August 14, 2018

“Cheap but powerful tool”

ProsHotjar is very simple but powerful tool. After implementing 2 line codes, immediately we created customer polls and shared results with executives.
ConsI really love this product. I couldn't find anything negative to tell. Only there were some little problems with iframes.
August 14, 2018
Automotive, 501-1000 employees
May 7, 2018

“Super helpful tool for heatmaps that you need!”

ProsHotjar is a super helpful tool that helps you understand your website visitors and their behavior. With Hotjar you can set up and track heatmaps, clickmaps and scroll maps of any page of your website. Furthermore, you can set up funnels and see where visitors leave your website and identify problems. But the best and for me the most useful feature is visitor recording - Hotjar records the behavior of your website visitors and lets you watch it as videos. This is just BRILLIANT! I cannot imagine my work without this tool. It also has a nice free version so you don't need to pay for it to get results.
ConsThe price of paid accounts is quite significant but you can do wonderfully with the free version. There is nothing I would criticize here honestly.
May 7, 2018
Joe H.
Associate Director - Digital Marketing
Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees
August 13, 2019

“The story of the little software that could...do everything!”

OverallWe never have time to spend setting up other software to understand how our users are navigating our website, but with hotjar, the simplicity allows us to make it happen.
ProsHotjar has the features that a small business website manager needs but only could get by paying a ton for eight separate products. Each feature is easy to use and understand.
ConsI would love to see more integrations, specifically with Zapier so we can automatically export reports into different systems, or for other uses.

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey Joe! Thanks so much for taking the time to review us! It's great to see that you're getting a lot of value from our tool :) Wanting to follow your feedback on integrations - we love taking onboard requests (they play a huge part in what we build next!) so please feel free to tell us what you need. Best place for that is in-app via 'Suggest a Feature'. All best, Alex
August 13, 2019
Michael D.
Publishing Manager
Government Administration, 501-1000 employees
June 11, 2019

“Helpful UX tool for webpages”

OverallWe've been able to evidence UX decisions to stakeholders: it's very handy when you need data to back up an intuition about, e.g., moving a button on a webpage.
ProsIt's incredibly easy to implement and to set up new pages for evaluation. We use the heatmap tool most often, but the video capture is also very useful. It's great when you want to A/B test web pages, or evidence a decision to stakeholders. The 'freemium' product licensing is also a bonus: try before you buy.
ConsThis product is exactly what it says it is. It's not going to replace user testing or Google Analytics, but it's a very handy adjunct to those tools.
June 11, 2019
Apparel & Fashion, 51-200 employees
May 23, 2019

“Gives User Feedback Quickly”

OverallFor a business that is only using GA, Hotjar adds a new layer of customer behavioral data.
ProsThis was very easy to install on our Shopify Plus website, and it didn't take long to start seeing the data. The user recordings are fascinating and you can easily spend hours watching these recordings. They were really helpful in seeing where customers were getting confused with our header and main nav, and we were able to use this information when making changes to these sections on the site.
ConsThe heatmaps get repetitive after a while, it's a safe bet that everyone is going to hang out above the fold of a page most of the time. I would love to see how Hotjar could help us leverage this information, or provide something above and beyond a basic heatmap.
May 23, 2019
Yuriy K.
Lead PHP/ Senior PHP
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 11, 2019

“Cool web analytics service”

ProsHotJar, analogue of Google Analytics, allows you to understand the needs of the audience. The service collects statistics on users, keeps track of their behavior. With the help of the service, we were able to optimize the performance of our website and increase its conversion.
ConsI have not found any disadvantages: we have been using the service for two years already.
April 11, 2019
Ronnie N.
November 27, 2018

“Great way to see what your customers are doing”

ProsSimple to install, just one line of code and you get to see what your clients are doing on the site and interact with visitors with polls and surveys. Every mouse movement, click, and text they enter (other than passwords and credit card data of course!) I like being able to watch the recordings of what clients are doing on our site so we can improve our UI/UX.
ConsI actually had to stop using HotJar for about a year when we switched our site over to a more dynamic, single-page application (SPA) using VueJS. HotJar had a known issue where it wouldn't track or record my visitor's behavior (since it was a SPA site), so I cancelled the service for a while. But thankfully they (finally) added that feature and the recordings works again.
November 27, 2018
Tyler S.
September 20, 2019

“Great Ecommerce Optimization Tool”

OverallGreat heat-mapping tool that should be standard in any growth-driven ecommerce site.
ProsHotjar is a great heatmapping software that is easy to install, has great features, and a reasonable price point.
ConsIf you haven't used heatmaps before the software can be a bit difficult for new users to understand. It takes some time to get our team up to speed on all of the capabilities.

By Hotjar on October 17, 2019
Hey Tyler, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear you found Hotjar easy to install and consider it a standard part of driving growth :) Is there anything in particular that you found difficult as a new user or when training your team? We're always open for ideas and we'd love your feedback :) Best Kayleigh
September 20, 2019
Rob O.
Therapist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
August 18, 2019

“Hotjar Helps Me To Understand My Visitors Journey”

ProsI like the recording option, which allows me to see which choices my visitors made when navigating my site (this informs future web development).
ConsI have to 'reset' the recording after a while; this doesn't seem to happen automatically, which is a pain.

By Hotjar on August 27, 2019
Hey there Rob, Thanks for leaving us a review. It's great to read that Hotjar's helping you better understand your site visitors! It's indeed the case that our Recordings work with 'snapshots' - is that what you're having issues with? Perhaps we can help! Our team can be reached at support@hotjar.com. All best, Alex
August 18, 2019
Chris M.
Conversion Strategist
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
June 1, 2019

“Flawless UX software - highly recommended for heatmaps and session reviews”

OverallHotJar has lead the way with providing UX software that works really well, and at a great price point. If you want to find usability issues in your site (where users struggle, and how to really improve the design of your site) then HotJar's heatmaps and session review tools will massively help you achieve this.
ProsThis software works flawlessly. It's quick and simple to setup and use. It's only when you use alternative software that's slower and clunkier, that you realise quite how smooth and awesome HotJar is! They are very very good at meeting GDPR compliancy.
Cons1. The survey must sit in the corner of your web page. I'd like the option for a big intrusive one. A large (intrusive) modal window that overlays the current page would massively increase survey response rate - required for smaller sites. 2. The survey feature doesn't adhere to all accessibility guidelines, such as the ability to tab through the functionality and use it with only the keyboard.
June 1, 2019
Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees
July 22, 2019

“Offers very valuable information for ecommerce”

OverallFor several clients of the agency, we use the tool to make decisions regarding payment processes within ecommerce and navigation in general.
ProsIt is a tool that is easily integrated into the pages (especially with access to GTM). The recordings are confidential (and they take it seriously) and as an analyst it gives you detailed information on how users browse your site. It also has heatmaps and scrollmaps. The free version lets you see enough information to convince yourself to pay the tool.
ConsFor each recording, it would be ideal to add more information without having to see them all complete, it would optimize the analyst's work much more. It has a lot of potential that has not yet been discovered
Krzysztof L.
Marketing Director
Retail, 11-50 employees
March 31, 2019

“best tool for user session recording”

ProsWhat I love about Hotjar is no problem with generated cached CSS files. This may seem normal, but other services have problems. I'm talking for example about PrestaShop, CS-Cart or even WordPress with caching addon. They all generate random-named CSS files. When you modify CSS or just generate a new one the previous disappears and other tools show playback without correct CSS, so you can imagine how bad it looks. Hotjar works fine.
ConsSome adblocking browser addons know hotjar and they block it.
March 31, 2019