Merlin Project Ratings

Overall

About Merlin Project

The leading project management software for the Mac, and is used by many tens of thousands of happy customers. Learn more about Merlin Project

Gerrit V.
Software Development Manager
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
May 17, 2017

“Gantt charts at their best”

OverallOverall, Merlin Project is a very user friendly software. To me, it feels like I'm sketching out a project planning rather than calculating it. As a result, I can focus almost all of my attention to the planning itself - instead of figuring out the Gantt chart setup..
ProsMerlin Project allows you to either type in your project's phases or drag-n-draw them directly on the Gantt chart. This way, you'll have a good overview within moments. The Resources are nicely integrated into the project, leading to a very usable Assignments view to check critical days. I mostly use the export as an image, that produces a PDF vector image. Very good quality! In my next project planning, I seek to explore the Library. Looks like a powerful feature.
ConsThe interface can be confusing, p.e.: - clicking at the Resources button at the top right of the toolbar merely shows a list of resources. If you want more (like editing them), you have to click at the top left in the Views list. - the Inspector is quite hard to figure out. I find myself browsing through it almost constantly searching for that one setting. Everything seems to be pushed into this small area, including things that, in my opinion, could have been part of the app's Preferences pane. Merlin Project introduced some very dark gray areas in the interface (the Inspector part) that I'm not so fond of. Perhaps there could be a choice between a dark and a light interface.

By Gupta Consulting on July 31, 2018
Hi Gerrit, thank you for your review. We appreciate it. The resources well is for fast creating resources and add them to the project. All information which should be more in details are in the views, so is the resources view, the utilization view etc. In Merlin Project you find a new and better project preferences settings Inspector.
May 17, 2017
Stephen S.
PM
Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees
June 16, 2016

“They can finally sync between Mac and iPhone”

OverallI started using Merlin 3 some months ago and was eagerly waiting for the sync between projects on Mac and iPhone. Since two weeks the beta of Merlin Project 4 is available and they really nailed it. Now you have the power of one of the best PM apps on Mac (if not _the_ best) and a nice little iPhone app. I completely switched to that solution. I'll checked as well the support and they replied super fast and very helpful.
ProsI like the flexibility, the ease of use and the beauty of any output. These guys really care for high quality software.
ConsThe iOS app is optimized for iPhone and therefore not perfect on iPad. But if you use the side-multitasking-mode (whatever this called) you emulate an iPhone on the iPad and then it works fine.
Recommendations to other buyersI dropped all other pm solutions and exclusively go with Merlin Project. With the Merlin Server I have my coworkers on Windows using the ready and read-only plan in a browser.
June 16, 2016
Christopher G.
Assistant Project Manager
Construction, 11-50 employees
February 18, 2019

“Merlin Delivers on Apple platforms”

OverallI used this program to handle scheduling multiple construction crews across multiple regions in the country and found that it was very simplistic and powerful. Helped me track Macro budgets and was key in helping determine how to assign the proper labor to the right project.
ProsThis application is extremely customizable and very easy to use. It offers multiple ways to track job related tasks and budgets. The application is greatly suited for making schedule changes on the fly and updates entire project when changes are made.
ConsI wish I could come up with a better Con, than this, but here goes... Why is this available only for Apple systems? IF this application were cross platform, or independent of operating system it would be able to compete with some of the best out there.
February 18, 2019
Kerushan G.
Managing Director
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 2, 2019

“Best project manager for Mac”

OverallFor our business, as a consulting firm, we depend on Merlin Project and we are happy with our choice in PM software, considering that we have a wealth of options out there.
ProsThis is the only software I have found that allows the user to go from a mind map to gantt. This was my bare minimum requirement because this aligns perfectly to my project workflow.
ConsIt is very functional and thus can get a bit complex and overwhelming from time to time.
April 2, 2019
Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees
March 12, 2019

“Fantastic, professionell, easy and quick”

OverallVery usefull and cheap, all good !
ProsThe handling and the prize - and the Layout
ConsI don´t know exactly - and i don´t want to search for something!
March 12, 2019
John S.
January 29, 2010

“A simple but very powerful alternative”

OverallSince Merlin reads and writes MS Project files, I think it is a viable alternative for almost any project manager for almost any project. For additional information see our website (http://www.am-info.biz/Project%20Management/Merlin/merlin.html or http://www.merlin2.net)
ProsI believe that Merlin is the best project management software available today. It has a very clean and intuitive interface but it is also very feature rich. We have been so impressed with its performance that not only do we use it but we also offer Merlin training and consulting in North America.
ConsMerlin does not run on the Windows platform. Users in a Windows or mixed environment can, however, purchase the Merlin server edition which publishes project information in an html format. In this sense it is cross platform.
January 29, 2010
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
September 7, 2018

“The best project management software for my mobile work style.”

ProsThe best part about this software is being able to create charts and graphs to print and show to clients.
ConsI loved Merlin Project and would use it again any time!
September 7, 2018
Julie B.
November 15, 2014

“Best Mac Alternative for real Project Managers (veterans of MS Project)”

OverallIt has taken me literally 2 weeks to find a viable alternative to MS Project for a MAC. After extensively researching the more visible search results: Omniplan, Wrike, AtTask, Libreproject, Openproject, harvest, etc.. I finally found Merlin--exactly the same logic as MS Project, but with a new looking UI and powerful tracking capabilities for high-level task tracking with just the right details for time variance, budget vs. actual reporting, and resource capacity planning. I'm really looking forward to continuing to use this tool--especially since I just downloaded Merlin Project (beta version). Really awesome!
November 15, 2014
Erich K.
October 30, 2015

“The coolest thing since sliced bread”

OverallI searched a long time for a decent project management app on OS X und eventually I found Merlin Project. This is not only a pm app, it is also a mind mapping app, a reporting app and much more! All view are configurable in any detail. It offers the widest range of pm functions wich are needed and used in actual management. And if you have a question, you will get a world class support: fast and super good!
October 30, 2015
Tomislav G.
April 18, 2017

“MS Project for Mac”

OverallEver since I switched to Mac I was looking for a viable alternative for MS Project and I finally found it in Merlin Project.

By Gupta Consulting on July 31, 2018
Hello Tomislav, thank you for your review. Could you please tell us, what do you miss in "Ease of Use" and "Customer Support" Thanks.
April 18, 2017