Medical Lab LMS Ratings

Overall

About Medical Lab LMS

Compliance & CE is a complete learning solution for your laboratory. Provide safety training, P.A.C.E.-approved continuing education, and custom courses and checklists to your employees in one cost-effective online system. Learn more about Medical Lab LMS

Hema O.
July 24, 2018

“I love MediaLab. One of the best software and easy to use. Customer Support is Excellent”

OverallWe have been able to convert all our major documents into electronic document control format without having the need to carry paper manuals. Automatic reminders for reviews when they are due saves lot of time & reduces stress on managers. Ability to print employee reports for procedure review is also another great feature.
ProsEasy to navigate, set up and follow though to all the modules that are being offered - easyto set up, upload, review, print reports, add/delete users. It keeps track of EVERYTHING! I love it. It also allows to provide link to other departments in the hospital to review (read only access) to our manuals. It monitors, keeps track and send reminders, alerts as required. It also has multiple modules each organized so well with detail instruction manual on the side bar, which is fantastic. It has answers to everything. Inspection Proof module makes the life easy during inspection as it shows the changes in two versions - (in Red). Easy to attach all documents to responses. Continuing Education modules is also very well designed and set up. It offers tons of information. Great learning site!
ConsThis software is made to perfection however, it would be good to have the ability to print the manual for each module that it offers. Also, one cannot do any edits inside the software but, a limited edit with permission could have been nice.
July 24, 2018
Lisa D.
June 15, 2018

“Such an easy system to keep up with regulatory requirements...wish it was around long time ago!”

OverallMade everyday tasks require mush less time, so that I could focus on matters that need more attention.
ProsNot only does this software help our lab stay in compliance, it makes it so easy. New users are able to figure out how to navigate it with very little instruction, which makes them more eager to go back to it again and again. As an administrator, I can pull important information quickly to help me stay on top of matters before they fall through the cracks! Our management team likes the e-mail reminders, which frees us from micro-managing our employees. Staff from all levels appreciate its usefulness!
ConsOur technologists like the ability to acquire their CE credits with this software, but it would be even better if I could allow them to have access to it outside of our business. I subscribe to multiple modules but would like to make only the CE portion available outside of the facility, while other modules remain white-listed. Currently I must restrict it, because either all of the modules are accessible, or all are not.
Abby K.
QA Coordinator
June 21, 2018

“Easy to use document control and CE software”

ProsI really like the versatility of the software and that we have several modules that are used for different aspects of our laboratory. We utilize the document control module for the entire company and that allows us to track training (who is complete, incomplete, etc.). We also utilize the CE (continuing education) module for company-wide and department-specific trainings. We also have the InspectionProof module, which has helped us become CAP Inspection ready for our last two CAP Inspections. This module, in particular, we enjoy because of the ability to assign checklist items to different employees who can answer the checklist items before completing the checklist and then it can be put into "Inspection Mode" where groups can inspect each other.
ConsThere are occasional glitches or flaws in the software, as you have in any software. But the majority of the time, you can work with MediaLab's customer support team to get the problem solved quickly.
Hospital & Health Care, Unspecified
June 11, 2018

“MediaLab offers multiple solutions for laboratories at reasonable prices.”

OverallDaily benefits - excellent document control system that did not require our IT department to set up, great system to maintain inspection readiness with Inspection Proof, ease of meeting continuing education requirements using the Continuing Education package. Overall, great system!
ProsFlexibility of the software, willingness of the company to make changes, continuous improvement and addition of new features. We use several modules and find that the system is flexible enough for us to create new ways to store and retrieve information rather than storing paper.
ConsIt is sometimes difficult to know what needs to be created first and we went back to make changes in how we set up the document control system. It would be helpful to identify users who have really maximized the system and offer to have them share their ideas.
SABA J.
CLS/MT
September 26, 2017

“This website is a great source of learning, very easy to use, and the customer service are great!”

ProsIt's has so many information for each course that covers the most important materials and notes for every students. This software allowed me to learn so many things and aspects in the clinical lab that make lab professionals really professionals. It contains illustrations that help with understanding and memorization for the materials that I've never had before. I strongly recommend it! As per the exam simulator, it's very helpful and covering the materials for the exam needed with feedback, which is I liked the most and let you learn much with more and more questions.
ConsActually, I really like it. Just few errors you may see like spelling errors, but can be fixed. In my opinion, the only thing that I don't like is the exam for each course, 10 -15 questions only are not enough for students to practice their knowledge. It should be 100 questions or at least 50 questions for each course exam, so the student can feel that he/she has achieved something and took the certificate of completion with effort.
Rebecca G.
Quality Control Coordinator and Compliance
June 18, 2018

“Cost effective and easy to use.”

OverallMakes training and document control a lot easier.
ProsHelps you get ready for inspections and stay compliant. Makes safety and HIPAA training easier. You can print reports and show inspectors training that has been completed by employees. Takes care of document control, for all your procedure manuals, eliminates writing and filling out forms. It's web based, and you have access to manuals and procedures even from your phone.
ConsUploading documents can be confusing in the beginning, need training first. People complain that they get a lot of emails reminding them to complete tasks in MediaLab.
Pam V.

“Functionality and utility!!”

OverallTracking of user competency, continuing education opportunities, course customization, assignment tracking
ProsI love the functionality and ease of use for the administrative role. We utilize the program for tracking competency checklists for individual users and as a tool for continuing education. Customization of MediaLab courses is valuable for non-US users (different requirements, etc.).
ConsThere is so much I probably don't know all the things I could be doing! When we implemented originally every user had to be manually entered, but I think they have since changed that to a mass staff entry option using a spreadsheet.
Rory H.
Associate Professor
Education Management, 5001-10,000 employees
October 3, 2017

“Love the hematology cases and the practice exams. Content is very relevant to what I am teaching”

OverallWas able to complete my CE requirements for the past few years. Also, a great resource for me as an instructor in a CLS program and an additional format to direct students who are underperforming in my classes.
ProsHematology Cases (WBC and RBC simulator) and the exam simulator are excellent. I appreciate this site as a way for me to keep up with my continuing education requirements. Also, I appreciate that the company tries to continually adding new and relevant courses. The addition of the advanced WBC cases was an awesome addition.
ConsThe CE courses could use an update to the way the courses are delivered. The fact that they appear to be HTML based (read a slide and manually advance) is rather outdated and not the most engaging format. What would be great is to incorporate videos through out or possibly an audio option, so that the user could hear along side the text and see something. This strengthens cognition.
October 3, 2017
MOHAMMAD T.
Lab coordinator & Training supervisor
June 19, 2018

“excellent ”

Prosfor me this software is very useful ,as per our user's & including me we are not face any problems of this software so easy & our exp is excellent cause i am using this software more than 10 years,easy to use any one .
Consi would like to thanks your software team because they did wonderful job for your IT team ,i am using this software more than 10 years and never face any problems of your software,especially after finish the course & get the exam & get the certificate & your valuable survey.
June 19, 2018
Joel B.
Performance and Outreach Manager
October 2, 2017

“Medialab has been an awesome tool in making sure that our staff maintains competency.”

OverallIt helps automate my competency requirements.
ProsMy favorite thing about Medialab Compass is that you can designate which CLIA elements of performance a particular activity satisfies. I also like that it is self-service. My users can log on and manage their to-do list and make sure they have everything ready for their annual competency. As administrator, being able to run a report to see who has upcoming due dates at a glance is very valuable.
ConsI wish there could be a slightly different price structure. I would like to do glucometer competencies, but right now, it is hard to justify the price for that many users that will only be doing one competency per year.
Yiu W.
Medical laboratory technologist
Biotechnology, Unspecified
September 26, 2017

“A must-have resource for Medical Lab Exam”

OverallI got a pass in my Medical Lab Exam in HK and got the MLT licence.
ProsClear illustration of med lab concept, not wasting my time filtering useful content out of content irrelevant. The content also can be downloaded as PDF so I can store in ipad and jot note. Another good thing is there is interaction in each course, the system would ask question about the material you just studied, which helps a lot to concentrate.
ConsThe app version always require me to enter password again and again. It is very annoying. It would be great if the app can save my password. It becomes worse when it requires me to enter two password for a single login. It takes me a lot of time because I always login logout the app while I am studying on train. Also there is not a search function for finding all relevant material for a single topic.
Melissa R.
Regulatory Affairs and Laboratory Manager
Biotechnology, 11-50 employees
September 26, 2017

“Good place for all your CE needs”

OverallAll of my compliance needs in one place. It is tracked in the FL clinical personnel system. Easy to add additional resources specific to my laboratory.
ProsIt is easy to use and very organized. The test questions within and at the end of the module challenge personnel to really think about the concepts presented and how they can be used at the place of business. It is easy to understand even if you are not a licensed clinical laboratory personnel. It links with state licensing agencies for tracking. They are constantly adding new modules or updating current modules to reflect changes in regulations. I also like the ability to add documents, quizzes, or other laboratory information under resources to link with courses provided.
ConsSometimes there are typos in the course or formatting issues. They don't effect the content but you question the proofreading before publishing.
Annamarie D.
Professional Practice Leader and Corp. POC CoOrdin
Hospital & Health Care, 5001-10,000 employees
October 2, 2017

“Great learning tool! I just found the Course Builder a little confusing at first, but am better now.”

OverallCon Ed learning We have built our training modules in the Course Builder We have also set up our yearly Skills Assessment for all staff using Medialab. We have about 250 staff members in the laboratory.
ProsThere are many topics to choose from. This is also a great Skills Assessment software which we use a lot of at our hospital. All staff are provided a yearly skills assessment.
ConsThe special Histology courses and TM courses are costly. There are not enough licenses either when we do pay for the extra Histology and TM packages
Linda C.
MLT Department Chair
June 21, 2018

“Medialab reinforces our students with quality courses and excellent cell morphology”

OverallIncreases student comprehension and understanding of courses and cell morphology
ProsThe software enables me to customize courses and cell morphology per student. Courses assigned to students allow them to review questions and materials for review and better comprehension.
ConsWith students taking the courses I would like to see all their scored attempts in one view on a spreadsheet for easier grading of the assignments
Lee S.
Lab Director
October 2, 2017

“Easy to set up and easy for staff to get used to!”

OverallIntegration of various lab operations and compliance elements
ProsThe price point and features are second to none when looking at similar software and well designed. The diversity of CE's and the overall expertise in their development is keep in staff competency.
ConsLack of solid mobile platform can be a down side for more tech savvy staff. Reporting could be a bit more fluid and robust, but it does provide a decent amount of drill down.
Gwenn S.
Lead Certifying Scientist/CE Coordinator
September 26, 2017

“MediaLab's Compliance and CE package includes the courses our lab staff needs to be compliant.”

OverallAs an administrator, it is easy to create new employee profiles and set them up with the courses they need. You can also easily track their progress and send out emails. I am also a user and take advantage of the clinical courses to keep my ASCP certification current.
ProsThe comprehensive and broad course offerings. I am ASCP certified and must earn 12 CEs every year in hematology, micro, BB, chemistry, lab safety, and HIPAA, all of which available to me and make it easy to keep my certification current. Plus, our lab and New York State requires all lab and admin. staff to have certain CEs per year, so we all use MediaLab.
ConsMany of the same courses that MediaLab offers reappear each year. The courses are not updated as often as I would like.
Candance E.
Laboratory Coordinator
September 26, 2017

“Great tool to use for Document Control, POC Administration, Inspections and CEU's!”

OverallIt really helps with Inspections and keeping up with regulatory requirements.
ProsThe ability to link documents and forms from Document Control to uploaded Inspection checklists. CEU courses are fantastic!
ConsI can't think of a con, maybe a little more ability for customization of the Compass functions like being able, as an administrator, to waive some requirements that may be redundant.
peter b.
Cytotechnologist SCT (ascp)
Biotechnology, 10,001+ employees
October 2, 2017

“I really like medialab. The courses are wonderful specific summaries of lab topics.”

OverallI like most technologists find myself working in the same discipline throughout my long storied award-winning illustrious career . Though my memory is sound and I keep abrest off the new exciting developments in clinical technology I still like to broaden my knowledge - expand my horizons, etc etc and the reviews from media lab fit the need.
ProsYou could go back and forth through reviews. Stop at any time and get back to it later, print material out. Also you could take exams three times and the answers were explained. I love that feature. Also it was very easy to do exactly what you wanted to do.
ConsNowadays especially with PowerPoint lectures all over the place online, you get use to colorful backgrounds and numerous photos. could use more of them I suppose
Jessica B.
Medical Lab Tech
September 27, 2017

“Makes it wasy to get all my credits in one place with material relevant to my job.”

OverallI've been able to improve my microscope skills by reviewing gram stains in the microbiology courses and also by using the white blood cell differential simulator. It also allows me to pick subjects that I have more trouble in to focus on my weaker areas. As I don't work as a generalist, it is useful in keeping current with my knowledge and subjects that I'm not using everyday.
ProsThere are wide variety of programs available to use for studying. I'm able to take courses that are relevant to my current job field and to also learn about new technologies that are always emerging. It's also much easier to have your credits in a digital format then having to send everything in the mail.
ConsThe thing I like least about the software is sometimes the pictures for hematology in microbiology questions are too small, leafing to wrong answers. On some phones I've had trouble loading questions that contain blood bank charts.
Lisa D.
September 26, 2017

“Makes offering and attaining CE credits super easy!”

OverallEnables our organization to provide technologists with the required CE to meet regulatory standards.
ProsRequires ZERO training to begin using provided CE courses. Making customized courses is very easy, and can be edited easily as well. I haven't found anything I don't like about the CE program. The feedback from my company's users is always positive.
Tracey J.
Manager, Quality Assurance
September 26, 2017

“Compliance & CE is instrumental for completing the OSHA required training in our organization”

ProsI like the ease of use and reporting. It is easy to assign training to all users within the organization and follow to completion for each user. I also like how you can see how long people actually spend time reviewing the training, to let you know if they really read it or not.
ConsI think the open enrollment is limited and not all training can be found in Compliance & CE. More of the CEU related training for our employees are found in the Histology & CE. Unfortunately the way MediaLab has the course set up it requires us to purchase licensing in two modules which is very costly. It would be nice if everything could be found in one place. Also it doesn't appear that the courses available are updated very often. Our employees grow tired and callous to taking the same OSHA courses each year. While these courses tend to be standard, it would be nice if they get changed up a bit. Overall I would just suggest combining all the courses into one module and providing a better variety to help suit all types of laboratories.
Anna D.
Director of Quality / Laboratory Director
June 11, 2018

“Excellent training and customer service. User interface could be a bit more modern and navigable.”

ProsDocument control module makes maintaining document control compliance a breeze. Over all content is a 9 out of 10.
ConsNavigation between modules is and home screen are a bit outdated. A home dash board interface vs. drop downs and less wordy links would be great improvements. Organization of content is 6 of 10.
Michael V.
Assistant Professor
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
October 2, 2017

“Medialab is a great tool for our students, it provides great documentation. It's an excellent learni”

OverallGreat documentation and excellent online instruction.
ProsThe automatic credit documented via CE broker is a great feature. The documentation is excellent for our students.
ConsSome of the photos of the white cells are sub-par. On some of the modules, not enough photos are utilized and some of the images are not clear.

“The staff LOVE this!!”

OverallGET AWAY FORM MOUNTAINS OF PAPER.
ProsEasy of use, and available from anywhere there is internet service. Easy to maintain (add, remove users, assigns courses, etc.
ConsI have not found any "cons" yet! We are quite happy that we selected mediaLab, and I tell everyone who asks.
Gail A.
Medical Laboratory Scientist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 5001-10,000 employees
October 2, 2017

“I had no problems with medialab since we started using it 7 years ago. ”

ProsI like how easy it is for all skill levels to get on and take courses. I think the transcript is very useful for yearly competency reports.
ConsI am not a fan of the fact that we cannot get rid of the number in front of our usernames. I wish once you have signed up, you can delete them.
Sean D.
Director of Laboratory Operations
September 26, 2017

“Amazing. Couldn't imagine a better platform for compliance training. ”

ProsEase of use with multiple users. It's a powerful platform to ensure compliance across my entire staff.
ConsWish the HR courses were not separate purchases. It was frustrating to see a new offering marketed separate despite heavy course overlap with our existing software.
Terri P.
Microbiology/Phlebotomy Supervisor
September 25, 2018

“Media Lab”

OverallMedia Lab has been wonderful.
ProsMedia lab makes document control easy. Satisfies regulatory requirements if maintained appropriately.
ConsInitial upload of all SOPs. The time it took for us to upload all of our policies was a big investment.
September 25, 2018
Douglass B.
Medical Lab Tech
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
September 29, 2017

“It was overall a very good experience. The courses were easy to navigate and informative. ”

OverallContinuing education requirements to maintain licensure.
ProsI liked the simplicity of the interface and how organized the site was. It makes navigation easy. I like the way the courses are presented too. Slides are concise with each dedicated to a single topic. Providing definitions at the beginning of each course was a nice touch as well. And the courses were not overly long. Being concise and easy to navigate is a pro that I don't think I can overstate! It really makes the experience pleasant. The slides were very informative. some were more or less a review for me while others introduced me to things I wasn't familiar with. I have a greater understanding of flow cytometry because I could grasp the material presented in the course.
ConsNo cons but I would like to say that it would be nice to see more material that presents new ways to test for disease. The "Emerging Cardiovascular Risk Markers" course was very interesting.
Dana S.
Administrative Lab Director
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
September 27, 2017

“Has been awesome for about 15 years now”

OverallCountless benefits that I've already described in the previous questions.
ProsApplicability to re-certification for my MLT's and MLS's, and a wide variety of coursework. The price is also attractive and can hold a lot of information that inspectors like to see.
Dee J.
Administrative Analyst
September 26, 2017

“We use this to make sure all of our staff have been trained and remain compliant.”

ProsEase of use! It is very helpful that this site is accessible form anywhere with internet, and not based solely on a PC somewhere.
ConsMy only issue is the time difference between me and Customer Support. I often have questions and they have already gone for the day.
Linda H.
Manager, Quality Assurance/Regulatory Affairs
Biotechnology, 11-50 employees
September 26, 2017

“Very positive. It's comprehensive, easy to use and convenient.”

OverallThis software is comprehensive, up to date and convenient. As the compliance officer for my lab, it is very helpful to have the OSHA compliance courses in one place.
ProsI like the broad list of course selections, especially that you have OSHA compliance courses! I also appreciate the simplicity of keeping all the records in one place and as an administrator for my lab, the ease of adding users, assigning courses and printing CE records.
ConsI still need more safety related courses that I would love to see at Media Lab, so that I do not have to look elsewhere: Dry Ice Shipping Training, Fume Hoods and Biological Safety Cabinet Training, Hazardous Waste Manifest Training,
Dana G.
MLT Instructor
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
October 1, 2017

“I like reading about the subject, and then being quizzed on the materials. It makes learning fun.”

OverallA greater understanding of the materials. I also require the MLT students to perform the assigned modules. I REALLY like that MediaLab requires the students to receive a certain percentage correct on their quiz before allowing them to be able to print off their certificate. Then I require the students to upload their certificates for their assignment. The students even state how much they enjoy learning from the MediaLab modules. Thank you!
ProsThe photos and information are very helpful in the learning process. I really like to learn about the materials prior to be tested on the information. The Compliance & CE is of greater value to study up for the ASCP exam, to give me better understanding of the material rather than memorizing the answers to the questions.
ConsThe only bad thing... is that there are not more modules in Body Fluids. I would like to see additional modules for Chemistry... perhaps Kidney Function Tests, Liver Function Tests, Endocrine Tests, Cardiac Tests, Blood Gas Tests, etc.
October 1, 2017
Hiroko T.
Employee
Hospital & Health Care, 5001-10,000 employees
September 26, 2017

“I passed my BOC using this MediaLab, and I still use this for my credit maintenance.”

OverallI got my certification through BOC practice exams. I can still use this software to earn my credits for the maintenance. I live in Japan, but I can still study anytime.
ProsI can study anywhere , anytime. The credits automatically transfer to ASCLS and it's easy to keep track.
ConsI don't have any problem with the software. It's easy to practice what I want to learn. But I have a request. There are some pictures for blood cell morphology that can magnify the images, but some of them are not. I wish that all of the images for the blood cell morphology (especially for immature white blood cells) can be enlarged if possible, so I can look the details.
Leslie S.
Document Control
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1001-5000 employees
September 26, 2017

“Helpful with staying in Compliance”

OverallLove MediaLab and the staff! Tim Westover and Michael Davis will always take great care of you!
ProsI love the Reports, you can generate any type of report. Whether it's per user or course, it opens a variety of options to fit your company preference.
Tiffany M.
Director of Development and Quality Assurance
June 18, 2018

“Extremely intuitive and user friendly.”

ProsThis software is easy to navigate through and manage tasks for my organization. We find it intuitive and user friendly. Even new hires are able to use this product with little help.
ConsFor some of the HR related courses, they do not automatically renew every year and sometimes the required courses change without our permission.
Michelle G.
MLT Department Chair
June 13, 2018

“We've used the tutorials and the practice certification exams for several years and love it.”

OverallGives students a great review
ProsFrom and administrator's point of view, it is very easy to use. I can easily set up the required tutorials and pull the reports to see how the students have done.
ConsI would like to see more on the analysis portion of the certification exam. Specifically, if a student takes the exam, there would be an option to possibly assign a quiz based on the area that the student was most deficient. Currently, I rely on the student to look at the results and assign themselves another test on just that area.
June 13, 2018
Risa G.
MLT Program Director
Education Management, 201-500 employees
October 5, 2017

“Use for student learning”

Overallsee notes under PROS
ProsI like the availability for students anytime, anywhere; the automatic evaluation give the students immediate feedback for increased comprehension; we use these grades in our courses without having to review them ourselves, saving time for classroom activities.
ConsPurchasing for groups between 25 and 50. For my academic use, I need ~30. On a tight budget the bump from 25 to 50 users is significant. If after 25, if option for additional groups of 5-10 would be helpful in reducing cost for actual number of users needed.
October 5, 2017
Yvonne L.
Medical Technologist(free-lance)
Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees
September 26, 2017

“I've been informed and kept up to date in my areas of interest. Have been exposed to new areas also ”

OverallI use this for all my CE requirements. It is a great savings in time and money and it is most convenient to use. I'm always assured that my CE hours will always be approved because the subjects are relevant and the certification is not just for attendance of a Seminar but has test results also.
ProsAll the learning objectives are usually met. The convenience of doing the required CE credits anywhere is most useful. Being provided with practice questions throughout the course helps to boost retention of the material.
ConsI have not yet met an area that has elicited a negative response. There are a few times that the credit hours given could be more.
Nancy E.
Chief Medical Technologist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
September 26, 2017

“It takes many steps to create questions and formatting does not transfer when using cut and paste.”

OverallThis software can be used from any location. I can stop and continue any courses at any time, so learning is done when I am most likely to retain the information. Courses can be built according to my organizational needs.
ProsThere are many courses available and it is possible to create courses with any kind of question. I like the variety of question type as it allows all learning types to learn in this environment.
ConsCourse development can be tedious as formatting doesn't transfer. I had to go into HTML mode to format many of the questions. Those that don't know HTML would have unprofessional looking results.
Sarah P.
Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
May 14, 2019

“Great Lab Review!”

OverallI love this program! I'm able to keep up with CE for my MT certification as well as my employer offers it's own CE courses that are easily kept track of. Test simulator can be purchased which is a great tool for those taking tests to be certified. Well worth the cost!
ProsI love that there are endless amount of CE courses are available as reading and tests.
ConsNot being able to have a default of showing certain dates and being able to change and save it to show every time your on the home page instead of always showing all courses from the lifetime of the account.
May 14, 2019
Michelle N.
Assistant Professor
June 22, 2018

“Great Experience, easy to use”

ProsI have used this software for over 15 years for continuing education of my staff in the hospital and on the academic side for my students to supplement lectures, as review and for training before they go into their clinical rotations at the hospital.
ConsI would love the exam simulator software to have the option to time practice exams, meaning that the exam stops when the student reaches the two and half hour mark so it helps them practice time management for the certification exam.
June 22, 2018
DANIEL F.
Manager, Laboratory Services
June 14, 2018

“Our lab uses MediaLab as part of our annual competency assessment program. Excellent offerings.”

OverallThis software is a very important part of our annual competency assessment program for staff and the main source of continuing education credits for staff.
ProsWide selection of courses; easy to manage users; relevant content; courses are challenging; the value for the licenses is outstanding, which allows us as an employer to offer high quality CEU opportunities to our staff.
ConsMicrobiology modules are lacking. Engine that enables customers to make customized courses could be a little easier to use.
June 14, 2018
October 7, 2017

“Very straightforward to use: Read material, note pictures/slides, take multiple-choice, earn CEUs.”

OverallPrepared for ASCP certification. Earned CEUs for recertification.
ProsEase of use. A large number of courses to choose from, with new courses constantly being added. Good, clearly-labeled illustrations, especially helpful with reinforcing visual identifications. Practice questions embedded in the reading to monitor progress and keep the reader engaged. Instant feedback on both ungraded practice and graded test questions. The ability to reset and retake a test--but this can only be done once! Also available are Exam and RBC Morphology and WBC Differential Simulators. The Exam Simulator is very similar to the BOC Study Guide. I have not yet tried the heme simulators, but if they are anything like the other CE courses, they should be very good.
ConsI would prefer to see more of everything, especially illustrations. Very good presentation of textbook cases, but few examples of borderline cases. More questions could be written into the material, especially for longer readings.
October 7, 2017
DANIEL F.
MANAGER, LABORATORY SERVICES
September 27, 2017

“We use MediaLab as part of our competency assessment plan for staff”

OverallThis is a very affordable way to offer CEU's to staff for competency maintenance with ASCP and for our own competency assessment program.
ProsAs an administrator, I like being able to track employee progress, send new assignments, and have all of the documentation in one place. The administrative features are very intuitive and easy to use.
ConsMaking custom modules can be a little tough to master at first, but I am glad it is a part of the program. It adds a great amount of flexibility to our educational offerings.
Brenda W.
MLT
September 26, 2017

“Best courses to maintain CEUs; can be done at your leisure”

OverallI have used this program along with the ASCP program to maintain my 36 credits that I need every 3 years to keep my license.
Prosyou can take a course and exam at the same time or you can print it to review and go back and take the exam by allowing a re-take of an exam immediately, things are more apt to make sense and stay with you for awhile
ConsSome of the pictures are very confusing, particulary in the immunology course The bloodbank course for the disappearing antibody was also confusing and I found it difficult to read the antibody panels
MARINA G.
Medical Laboratory Scientist
September 26, 2017

“Great website for CE! The testing center was helpful when studying for MLS certification. ”

OverallCE for CM. I also get the ability to keep up knowledge in other areas I rarely work in.
ProsGreat CE! I enjoy the contributors and wide variety of topics. Every area of clinical practice is offered for CE.
ConsAlthough the CE is useful, it's limited and it seems the same things are offered continuously. I would like to see new emerging topics. It may be helpful to include topics on new testing platforms. I would also like to see a more interdisciplinary approach to learning by integrating other allied health professions in our learning. I would like to see topics from other professions that relate to our testing. I would also like to see "Spotlights" on different aspects of our profession: combat laboratories, smaller countries testing platforms, odd reference lab testing, etc. I would like to know and learn from more peers about what they do and learn about their tests.
Jake B.
Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
September 26, 2017

“I've used MediaLab for both CE and compliance, and have found it to be a great choice for both.”

ProsI think that what I like most about the software is that it is flexible, accessible, and incorporates a good amount of choice in content.
ConsI think the software could benefit from improvements in 2 areas. The first, and most important, is that there is no functionality for reporting incorrect answer choices in either the CE or the compliance modules. This is not a trivial issue, and creates immense frustration for users as well as extra work for the section heads who manage the compliance testing. The second area is less important from a technical standpoint, but worth pursuing nonetheless, which is that there is room for improvements to the web forms design that constitutes the user interface with the system. A more polished look, and smoother and more intuitive navigation would be more consistent with contemporary style.
Erica L.
MLT Program Director
June 12, 2018

“We use MediaLab to support both faculty and students. The WBC simulator and mock exams are our favs”

ProsMock exams and WBC simulator. The WBC simulator gives our learners more differential experience without needing additional classroom lab time. This is a huge opportunity.
ConsWould like some more flexibility within the mock exams for selecting assignments (by specific subject matter, for example ABGs or anemias, etc.) This would allow us to use the mock exam feature throughout the curriculum rather than just at the end of the program.
June 12, 2018
MICHAEL M.
Lab Director
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
October 2, 2017

“Great Product - Saves Time and Money”

ProsUser friendly and customer service is always available to assist and answer questions. Otherwise, the self help solutions are easily available.
ConsIt would be a good addition to include mock exams for ASCP, AAB, AMT for certification for HCLD, MT, and Technologist.
Nicolas M.
Lab Technician
October 2, 2017

“LabCE has been instrumental in helping me study for the ASCP MLS BOC. ”

OverallThe software is somewhat expensive, though I think it's worth it.
ProsI love how many questions there are across all MLS disciplines that expose you to a variety of challenging questions. It also is a great hub for organizing CE's.