Enviro Data Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Enviro Data

Full-featured software for gathering, managing, and displaying lab and field data for water, soil, and air. In use worldwide for 20 yrs Learn more about Enviro Data

Hil L.
Database Administrator
Environmental Services, 1-10 employees
July 31, 2017

“EnviroData is our choice, long-term tool for capturing, storing, and exporting water quality data.”

OverallEase of use for storing decades of data and being able to retrieve all or a subset of the data for analysis.
ProsThe flexibility of the software along with its ease of use is its greatest feature (usually two conflicting goals). The database is beautifully designed and technical support is excellent (5 stars). When we bring some complex, outside-the-box requests to the company its developers quickly make the enhancements. The Viewer tool exports our data in Excel crosstabs with analytes down the side, sample dates across the top, and stations in separate tabs if desired, making for easy analyses by us and our clients - all of which is easily configurable. Also appreciate how EnviroData exports the data that can be easily imported into other software for statistical analysis. Ths cost cannot be beat. In short, EnviroData makes storing and exporting the data easy so that we can focus on the analysis.
ConsNot much to dislike about the software nor its technical support. As enhancements are needed, they get added to the software and shared with the next release.

By Geotech Computer Systems on July 31, 2017
Thanks, Hil, for being a loyal user.
July 31, 2017
Clark S.
Geochemist
July 25, 2017

“Best bang for the buck in environmental data management”

ProsEnviro-Data is a data management tool for environmental data. It's flexible enough to allow easy interfacing with R, python, and excel and does a good job enforcing referential integrity and preserving the quality of the database. Easy enough that new staff can pick up the basics quickly for querying data, but importing has a bit more of a learning curve.
ConsThe graphing capabilities leave a lot to be desired. For internal use, they're fine. For publication quality graphs, or creating charts in bulk, another tool must be used in tandem with ED.

By Geotech Computer Systems on July 25, 2017
We are working on a new graphing tool for the next major release. It will be similar to our popular Crosstab Wizard, with the user being able to choose options, and then the graphs are made in Excel, which they can then further customize.
BRUCE S.
Senior Project Manager
August 3, 2018

“Senior Project Manager”

OverallThe greatest benefit we're realized is the efficiency of importing data and generating report tables. Using Enviro Data is much quicker and more accurate that manually creating data tables.
ProsThe ability to easily import data into the database and to quickly export results to tables comparing concentrations to multiple regulatory limits.
ConsUser manual is not very helpful and sometimes it's difficult to determine the cause for errors in importing and exporting data.

By Geotech Computer Systems on August 8, 2018
Thanks, Bruce. We're glad it's working well for you.
August 3, 2018
Jill L.
Environmental Scientist II
August 3, 2017

“We have just started utilizing the program, and it is already saving us time, money, and resources”

ProsI really enjoy that anyone at the company can learn to use it. Users don't have to be computer-pros. It is very effective that I can figure out issues or discrepancies on my own and don't have to call customer service every time theirs a glitch.
ConsThe most difficult part of the process is getting the labs to send the correct data format. We have one lab that was no issues and immediately started sending us data in the correct format. We have another lab that we have continual issues with. I wish there was a better, shorter form to send them to have the format work.

By Geotech Computer Systems on August 3, 2017
You can use just about any format you wish. We'll work with Jill to come up with a smaller one that's better for her and her lab.
August 3, 2017
Ericka V.
WQ Specialist
November 13, 2017

“I have had a great experience with the Envrio-Data software and staff team. ”

OverallWe were able to update very old software easily with this software and support staff. We did not loose any productivity and were able to keep the data management staff reporting during the whole process- Makes it look so easy that the clients sometimes think they can handle the data management themselves :)
ProsEase of use for the end users and clients as well as the technical staff to help sort out any issues that may arise-

By Geotech Computer Systems on September 30, 2019
Thanks, Ericka. I'm glad the software is working out well for your.
November 13, 2017
Brian B.
August 4, 2017

“We see the potential benefit but are slow to overcome the learning curve. ”

OverallTime saving, more knowledge of data management and analysis, higher degree of accuracy and quality control, GIS integration. I believe th full benefits have yet to be realized.
ProsThe softwares capabilities and flexibility make it exceptional at handling large data management requirements for a wide range of projects. The GIS integration and close customer support as well.
ConsThe software is fairly complex and can be difficult to learn or to get less computer savvy employees trained on its use.

By Geotech Computer Systems on September 30, 2019
We'll be happy to continue to work with you go complete your implementation process.
August 4, 2017
Jesse B.
Draftsperson
July 31, 2018

“Enviro Data Review”

OverallThe potential for automatically tabulating data is huge. In practice, I have needed to do a lot of QAQC anyway since we don't completely trust the output. Sometimes we do find mistakes. There is also a good amount of formatting after output, but I hope to work this out to the point where the output is very close to how we want it.
ProsIt is highly customizable. Gets the job done for the most part. Once we have everything dialed in, it looks like it will be mostly automated. We are very pleased with the support.
ConsThere seems to be many glitches that take a huge amount of effort to troubleshoot. The software is not very intuitive but I accept that this is how most specialized niche software is.

By Geotech Computer Systems on August 1, 2018
Thanks, Jesse. Hopefully we can resolve your data and usability issues soon.
July 31, 2018
Heather T.
Project Geosceintist
April 2, 2018

“I've been using Enviro Data since 2011 and it meets all of our data management needs. ”

ProsQueries are simple to run and comparison to regulatory limits is easy! Output formats are customizable to fit project managers' preferences for data display and presentation.
ConsI struggle to define any fair criticisms. I'm very happy with the software; when I encounter problems, they are usually a byproduct of a user error.

By Geotech Computer Systems on April 4, 2018
Thank you. Heather. We enjoy working with you.
April 2, 2018
Bill R.
Staff Geologist
July 26, 2017

“Good people, Okay product”

OverallReduced overall cost by reducing labor for some tasks.
ProsThe software is very adaptable. The product team can support client needs quickly and they are very helpful.
ConsThere are hard-coded limitations due to the age of the underlying code. The software and code are full of weird limitations and require changes to the way data is processed by the laboratory or documented by the field staff.

By Geotech Computer Systems on July 26, 2017
It's not clear what these limitations are or why they might be related to the age of the code, which is continuously undergoing modification and improvement, but we would be happy to address them. Some rigidity and enforcement of rules are necessary to build a consistent data set over time, but there is always room for improvement.
July 26, 2017
Jason C.
manager
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 26, 2019

“Enviro review”

OverallI would say everything has gone as I would have expected.
ProsIt is easy to use and find things that you are looking for. I think it is the best enviro data available on the web
ConsI wish that it had more items that I needed and more ways to use the items that I needed. Also wish it wasn't so expensive.

By Geotech Computer Systems on September 30, 2019
Thank you, Jason, for your review. We would be interested to hear what additional features you would like to see. The software is always growing based on customer suggestions.
September 26, 2019
Sara T.
Database Manager
Environmental Services, 501-1000 employees
July 25, 2017

“Overall I am pleased with software, the user manual is in need of upgrades.”

ProsI like the import data procedures, when the labs get the formatting correct. The available import specifications are helpful when dealing with multiple data providers.
ConsThe export procedures still have some kinks that need to be worked out. I am hoping to see progress on these issues with the new release.

By Geotech Computer Systems on July 25, 2017
Sara is right about the documentation and we are re-writing it now. And the new release will have a number of modifications to the output, especially number formatting, which can be a challenge.
July 16, 2019

“EnviroData by GeoTech”

ProsAmazing resource to have all the data across multiple sites in one specific spot. Visual presentation of data is second to none.
ConsLoading large data sets can be time consuming and sometimes errors can occur.

By Geotech Computer Systems on September 30, 2019
Thank you for your review. We're glad you like the software. Yes, loading large data sets can be a challenge, especially if the source database is not well normalized. Fortunately Enviro Data has great tools to help with that, but it can still be difficult.
July 16, 2019
Warren M.
Senior GIS Consultant
Mining & Metals, 1001-5000 employees
August 7, 2018

“Enviro Data review”

OverallWe were looking for a system to provide a simple UI for loading and editing WQ and other sampling data. We are just getting going with Enviro Data on a couple different projects and so far its been going well with the exception of loading larger datasets. Support with Geotech has been fantastic.
ProsCost/functionality ratio. Economic solution for our needs
ConsThe system is slow loading large datasets (100k records). System is Access/VBA based.

By Geotech Computer Systems on August 8, 2018
Thanks, Warren. We're glad it's going well.
August 7, 2018
Kamil N.
researcher
1001-5000 employees
March 13, 2018

“I reviewed EDMS's. Finally we have developed our solution”

OverallIt helped me to see that even very good software has to be significantly modified for non-english users (EDDs, localisation of output, GUI).
ProsMature software with lot of functions in a simple package.
ConsAccess dependency.

By Geotech Computer Systems on March 16, 2018
Thank you, Kamil. Being in Access is considered a plus by most, but a minus by a few.
March 13, 2018
Zavud B.
Master Student
Environmental Services, 501-1000 employees
August 4, 2019

“Review for Enviro Data”

ProsGreat software to work on scientific projects. As an environmentalist I very often have to work on different projects that can be related to air and soil as well as water and the software allows me to work with all of them. What I like most about the software is that it has a very good relationship with ArcGIS. I can easily display my results (data) on my GIS maps which makes my projects more understandable for both my professors and viewers of my scientific projects.
ConsThe only thing I dislike about the software is that sometimes when I work with a very large data it takes too much of time to fully load the data.
August 4, 2019