Smart Choice Technologies Ratings

Overall

About Smart Choice Technologies

School admissions management tool that provides student applications administration through online scheduling and related operations. Learn more about Smart Choice Technologies

Sherry K.
Coordinator II
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
July 16, 2018

“We have been using Smart Choice for many years and their products have exceeded our expectations!”

OverallI love all the customized aspects that meet our specific needs. Love the scheduling feature! Most of all, I love the customer support!!!
ProsWe use Smart Choice for our online applications and lotteries and recently added their services for permits, which is going great! I love the customer support. The reps are always quick and responsive to even the smallest issue and if my rep is unavailable, someone else responds on her behalf right away. Working collaboratively with the reps and developers is my favorite thing - no question goes unanswered, I can't say enough about how important and impressive that is. One of my favorite features which is absolutely worth the money is the scheduling feature!! What a time saver and so easy to use! I also love that I can create my own deliverables and customize how I use them. The lotteries have worked very well for us and we have a lot of custom priorities that the system handles very well.
ConsLike the other reviewers, I feel that creating reports is the most tedious and unintuitive part of the system. Lots and lots of trial and error in that area. We can finally duplicate a report which is helpful to a least have some of the info already available when creating a new report. Luckily the reps and develops are helpful, but I would like to be able to do more of it myself. Now that we use Smart Choice for our permits in addition to our lottery, it is a little confusing go and back and forth between the newer permit system and the old lottery system. It would be nice if they were they same. A minor thing I don't like in the new system, is that I can't see the parent notes without clicking on them, in the old system I could see all of the notes at the same time. Another thing that would be helpful is to be able to sort by more than one column header while looking at the application management page. Filters are useful for the most part, but sometimes the extra layer of sorting would be helpful.
July 16, 2018
Lila S.
Systems Support Coordinator
July 11, 2018

“Smart Choice is highly customize-able, which works great for our company!”

ProsMy favorite feature of Smart Choice is the parent portal. This feature allows me to have an excellent understanding and overall view of the parent experience, as well as insight to help parents troubleshoot any issues they are experiencing. The software is highly-customize-able, which works for our organization. There hasn't been any system upgrades we have requested that they are not able to do. I like that we have one contact for support. I am willing to sacrifice a support line for our one contact of support because she has a comprehensive understanding of how we use the software and is always able to follow along quickly with our issues and requests.
ConsThe most difficult part of Smart Choice is filtering the data and building reports. The reporting feature only allows for "and" filters. It would be nice to have the option of "or" filters. I wish Smart Choice, on the back-end, had a more updated look-and-feel. It kind of feels like I am in my high school portal from 10 years ago. I also found it difficult to figure out how to create field dependencies when creating form steps. Once you understand how it works, you can replicate the steps, however, it is not intuitive at first and there was a lot of trial and error.
Holly M.
Senior Manager of Student Information
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
July 12, 2018

“The system is simple and easy to use, but it seems there are glitches from time to time.”

ProsIt's customizable - we can make the system work for our needs (e.g. create our own deliverables and reports). Back-end access allows us to create analytics and data visualizations to meet organization's goals. Customer support is prompt and usually provides quick resolution time. The price for the product is great. The system is scalable and has accommodated the growth of our organization.
ConsThe firefly gadget is not user-friendly and does not support formatting easily, which makes it difficult to create website content that looks clean and professional. The letter feature does not support formatting easily. The system glitches too frequently, leading to problems with data management (e.g. application priorities improperly tagged, lots of unintended consequences when updating data - which might be due to the way the system is structured in terms of students, programs, applications, etc.)
Heather K.
Registrar
Education Management, 51-200 employees
September 13, 2018

“Smart Choice Technologies Review”

OverallAgain, our school is small and the program is huge so it's a bit overwhelming. Everyone has been very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly when I've needed them and things have been done to our liking in a very timely manner.
ProsThere are many things this program can do. I like the automatic emails that get sent out. I like the visual graphs. I like the ability to customize most everything and add all the info we want to receive from parents.
ConsIt's almost too big for our smaller school. Feels like there are too many steps for parents to take from creating a log in to registering. A lot of things are being over looked and skipped and assumed by parents. Wish things could be just a bit more simple or user friendly for parents. On the back end, I wish it was more user friendly as well. It gets really confusing sometimes with all the options and log ins etc. There are a lot of features that are available that we are choosing not to use so when I search for something to customize, It's not always apparent where it is or what it does or if I'm doing it right. I don't like the fact that I have to schedule a convo with my rep when I want to chat about something right away.
September 13, 2018
Kristina C.
Program Assistant
July 11, 2018

“Professional and quality service.”

OverallInstead of having multiple systems, all of the information I need is in one spot.
ProsWhat I like most about this software is the versatility of the system. It can be customized to fit the needs of your company.
ConsThe only negative I have is the reporting aspect. Creating a report is difficult and many times I have to rely on the customer service to create the reports on my behalf (which they do efficiently and in a timely manner).
Adrina B.
Assistant Director of Student Recruitment
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
May 3, 2019

“Smart Choice Technologies Review”

OverallTheir customer service has been great! Their team works hard to customize their system to fit your needs. I have truly enjoyed working with our Senior Account Manager. She has been such a huge help and resource in learning and navigating the system.
ProsWe introduced this system this year to our school district. It is very user friendly. The Smart Choice team did a great job of customizing the system to fit the needs of our district.
ConsI honestly like all the aspects of the software. If there was an area that I thought could be improved, the Smart Choice team did a great job of customizing the system to include the suggested improvement.
May 3, 2019
Kim D.
Account Clerk
July 11, 2018

“Very impressed with the customization of the product to suit our needs ”

ProsThe best part of the software is being able to customize it. It has also been a great tool to collaborate many organizations into one.
ConsParts of the back end are not user friendly or understandable to everyday individuals. I've been able to tweak things by having an understanding of technology.
Stephanie M.
Administrative Supervisor
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
July 25, 2018

“Best customer service”

OverallWe can manage 2000 students' applications with ease and in a timely manner.
ProsThe software is intuitive and well-organized. Our district intakes 1700 applications from 2000 students. Even in our first year using it, there were no hiccups. Most important, the customer service is second-to-none. Requests are recognized immediately and addressed in a timely manner. The level of customization is terrific. This system does everything we need it to. I cannot recommend it enough.
ConsI really can't say anything negative - we are truly pleased with all aspects of the SmartChoice platform.
July 25, 2018
Christine G.
July 12, 2018

“The system increased efficiency of the District's open enrollment process.”

Prosprovide for an autonomous lottery process, decreased phone calls, allows parents to control application
Consthe main page of the application management site should have the applications easier to use to track - wish this site had the applications numbered
Megan S.
Product Development Director
July 11, 2018

“Smart Choice has allowed us to streamline our lottery and enrollment process seamlessly.”

ProsAbility to set parameters around lotteries and use of features. Ease of use for grade levels, multiple school accounts dashboards to review easily.
ConsAssisting parents in setting up their accounts to select multiple school choices simultaneously. Bugs which arise feel frequent, however developers are quick to respond.
Mae M.
Data Manager
Education Management, 11-50 employees
May 22, 2019

“Excellent Customer Service”

OverallWe are a charter school and use Smart Choice to manage our lottery and registration. The customer service is amazing! I never have to wait for assistance and they are always friendly and efficient!
ProsIt's fairly intuitive and well designed.
ConsIt logs out quicker than I would like if not active in it.
May 22, 2019
Leigh F.
Grant Assistant and Bookkeeper
June 4, 2018

“We are very happy with our purchase of the Smart Choice software.”

ProsThe ease of use of the parent portal, the ease of use of the administrator portal, the dashboard at the login screen, and the many customizable features.
ConsThe report builder is difficult to use. I find that building the queries and knowing which display fields to use is not intuitive at all.
June 4, 2018