OfficeTools Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About OfficeTools

OfficeTools is the leading provider of practice management software for firms in the tax preparation and public accounting profession. Giving you everything a firm needs to run day to day operations including the centralization of client data, tracking due dates, staffing, workflow management, automated billing, and time tracking, OfficeTools combines a suite of core productivity and management features into an integrated solution that will become the nucleus of your practice. Learn more about OfficeTools

Peter S.
Staff Accountant
October 17, 2017

“Great all-in-one tax office tool!”

OverallHaving everything needed to help/work on a client at your fingertips in one piece of software. We consolidated 4 programs into one when we moved to OfficeTools. We could FULLY consolidate 2 more if they were reliable and user friendly enough for staff and clients (AIME and the portal). But as it stands we have to have backups for both to function properly.
ProsThe best thing about OfficeTools is the integration of contact manager, schedule, time/billing tracking project management, billing, and documents. There are lots of other features that are included as well but those are the big ones. It's great going to one client and having access to everything you need.
ConsThere are some quirks that you just have to live with, but overall it is a solid piece of software. There are times when support just cannot figure out a solution to a glitch we are having and we just have to wait to see if it will be resolved in a new release. Another thing that is quirky is having to go to another client and then back into the one you are working on the get the system to update. Mostly small little things that aren't that bad and they do seem to attempt to address issues as they go so it is by no means a dead software.
Christine M.
Office Management
October 23, 2017

“Office Tools has been great. We can't imagine running things without it.”

OverallOffice Tools replaced separate document management software, a time keeping/billing software, and a project tracking software. It's streamlined our process and allowed us to save tons of time for billable work.
ProsThe integration of difference functions has been the best part. Having contact info, project tracking, document management and time tracking/billing in one package has made things so much easier and streamlined our process.
ConsThe reporting in general is limited. The inability to combine information types (Contact, Billing, Project, Staff) into a single report is difficult. Currently, we create 2 different reports, export to excel and use formulas to combine the information. Skipping these extra steps would save so much time. Also, allowing a custom recurrence pattern for projects (i.e. every 2 years) would be great. Finally, many clients want to be able to specify a "Billing Only" e-mail address. Right now, I have to make that change manually for those clients each billing run.
akore b.
October 16, 2018

“Saves me thousands of dollars and hours every year!”

OverallI used to track projects by emails in my inbox and files on the shelf, constantly putting out fires and dealing with what ever client was "on top of the stack".spending HOURS every day figuring out what I had to get done.....now the minute a project comes in (Via email,mail, or phone) I create a new Project in OfficeTools and I have an easily accessible, up to date task list of EVERYTHING I need to do. And I can assign tasks to staff, so my staff knows what to work on WITHOUT having to ask me. I cannot begin to quantify the dollars and hours this software has saved me.
ProsThe ability to quickly create and add items to a "ToDo list" and assign tasks to staff w/ documents attached (dragged straight from Outlook).
ConsThere is a learning curve - but that is to be expected with such robust software and customer support was great helping me learn features I couldn't figure out myself (since I refused to do the training and like to figure things out myself). Plus, the online tutorials were really great.
October 16, 2018
Stacey W.
October 10, 2018

“Been working with Office Tools for nearly 14 years now”

OverallWe use Office Tools for our companies billing, tracking time, tracking our projects for our clients and for our scheduling appointments with clients. We have used this product for nearly 14 years and it helps our office run smoothly. We have access to each others schedules and daily tasks. Everything is right at our fingertips.
ProsI really love that it is user friendly. It really helps keep me on track with my tasks with all the projects that have been assigned to me and when it was assigned. It really helps me not forget about projects. I love all the available reports that you can print. There are reports to help track or Work in process and reconcile our billing and many many more.
ConsThere is not any thing really in particular right now that I would say I least like about the software. I find that if I have an issue with the software I can call technical support and they are always very helpful.
Alfred H.
Accounting, Self-employed
October 19, 2018

“Comprehensive Practice Management Solution”

OverallOverall, I've been very satisfied with Office Tools. In the past, I was a member of the firm that developed its own computer-based time and billing system. Office Tools offers all the recording and analysis tools we strove to provide in our package and integrates nicely with document management and contact management.
ProsOffice Tools provides all the elements required to manage my small accounting practice. Contact management, document management, time, billing & collection are seamlessly interfaced. The Office Tools modules that I do not use do not interfere with the use of the elements that I do use.
Consit is difficult to find something to dislike about Office Tools. It is sometimes difficult to find where, in the program, adjustments to certain settings should be made. Also, occasionally, it seems that updates are promulgated, of which I do not received notice.
October 19, 2018
Andrew T.
July 31, 2018

“I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you all know about exceptional customer service.”

Pros I'm a long time Office Tools user who was MAD when I got my renewal quote. The quote included 2 more users than our small firm has, and I misunderstood it to mean that you only offered the program with a minimum of 5 users.  The initial quote represented a 162% increase over the prior year and I was informed that the Office Tools user agreement, we would lose access to our data once the subscription expired. I immediately went shopping for alternatives.  Long story short, he was willing to work with me despite my very vocal displeasure. He was very professional and took the time to answer all my questions thoroughly, as result he helped you retain a long time customer. FYI, I'm very happy to learn that under Abacus's user agreement, we'll retain read-only access after the expiration of our subscription.
ConsI do not feel there are any cons worth mentioning at this time, or things I like the least about the software
July 31, 2018
Andrea H.
Administrative Specialist
October 20, 2017

“The program has been great at keeping client and billing details accessible.”

OverallEase of reports for billing, client records, staff utilization, accounts receivable which make our office run smoother and more efficiently.
ProsThe numerous reports and ways in which to cater a report to our specific needs. For example, I can create a WIP which shows work by date, or work by employeee, or work by code. These options have all been useful for different needs. The contact lists are also versatile which helps with birthdays, phone lists, contact type lists. Form letters is useful and we have created several this past year catered to contact type.
ConsThere have been issues with the document signature feature; months went by with giant red lettering appearing on the documents, so we could not use that feature; when the feature was fixed with a new upgrade, we were not informed of the upgrade. The email link from Outlook is not reliable and keeps stopping on two of our computers. This feature would save time and keep records straight with our clients, however, we cannot keep it connected.
October 20, 2017
Jeffery D.
October 27, 2017

“ Software was Valuable to our firm first. But then it became cost prohibitive. ”

OverallPractice management in one platform.
ProsI like the document management service. The scheduling software. And I like the notes. We also used the to dos quite a bit.
Cons The cost. And the fact they update the software year during tax season. Because of the cost, this will be the last year that we will be using Office Tools Pro. Also, the cloud-based features are severely lacking. In order to be able to view your schedule online, you have to have Outlook and an outlook sync subscription with Office tools pro. And even that feature is very clunky and works very rarely. We had many preparers in our office miss Appointments because they did not show up on the outlook schedule on their phones. The only effective way to see appointments was to remote in to the computer to see the scheduling within the program directly.
Terri S.
October 23, 2018

“Long term Office Tools User!”

OverallWe have been using Office Tools for 12 years now. I cannot imagine how we functioned without it before and would not want to go back to those days. It is a very affordable and very comprehensive product. Also, it is very easy to implement and use. Our need to get support has been rare. Without hesitation, I recommend Office Tools!
ProsEverything in one place! We have our scheduling, project and deadline management, phone call tracking, time-keeping and billing, and document management all in one place.
ConsThere really is nothing that I don't like about Office Tools. We did try out their client portal a few years ago, and we went to Sharefile to get some added features. But, we are going to go back to try the Office Tools client portal again before the end of the year. I am hopeful it will be a great change for us.
October 23, 2018
Lyndsey L.
October 23, 2017

“Office Tools has streamlined our office, we now only use 1 program where we used to use three.”

OverallEverything is in one place. I can track the progress of projects that co workers are doing, so when someone calls and can tell quicker where we are on there return or other accounting service.
ProsCan add To Do's in program for reminders to do several things. Keep track of appointments easily. Documents are easy to find. Can add notes about clients. Can track status of projects and set due dates. Can send documents out for esignatures securely and its easy for clients to sign and return.
ConsWip and A/R balances don't match from end of month to beginning of next month. When adding Wip to invoices, system writes off balance to zero instead of showing profit if billed amount is still over the amount of WIP on bill. Documents for business clients is harder to sort, employees like to have folders.
Mike A.
Business Manager
October 17, 2017

“We've used OfficeTools for last 3 years and find it very effective in our client relations.”

OverallClient info concentrated in one area. Easy classification of documents/emails for later retrieval. Accountant info can be specific to Project.
ProsProjects allow us to ensure that Corporate info, Bookkeeping info and Personal Tax info gets properly sorted. Our use of Outlook Sync also ensures that our Office365 Inbox and Sent folders are captured to client's communication. Many shared documents are quickly categorized allowing for a quick, specific search of information.
ConsInvoicing module currently only links to Quickbooks desktop for bookkeeping and we've been using Quickbooks Online for past 4 years. Support Team doesn't always comprehend our "real-life" situations and how we need to operate - thus leaving us not able to use OfficeTools to its full potential.
Mark P.
September 12, 2018

“Great product; horrible experience with new owners”

OverallOriginally used Cloud9 to host all applications, AbacusNext bought Cloud9 and pushed to have users move to APC Cloud. Horrible experience - see reviews for AbacusNext. Also used OfficeTools which was purchased in 2017 by AbacusNext. AbacusNext would not let me renew my OfficeTools licenses because I no longer hosted my other apps on APC Cloud, even though I moved away from AbacusNext legally and ethically. They held me hostage as Abacus gave no prior notice that they would not renew my OfficeTools license. Ended up without a practice management software for 3 months while I searched for and implemented a new one.
ProsIt's a great practice management software for small accounting firms; workflows, reminders, time & expense all good
ConsWhen AbacusNext bought out OfficeTools the culture and professionalism went down the toilet.
September 12, 2018
Richard C.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
October 27, 2017

“Generally good - but concerned about the future.”

OverallDocument/contact management
ProsGood Product. OTP good service - but only on West Coast Time - need to expand hours . Staff, particuliary Mike G and Jarred F, are great to work with.
ConsCompany bought by Abacus 5/31/17. Sales now handled by Abacus. They want a 3 yr contract!! No upgrades of any kind since Abacus - but price increase and they want a 3 yr contract. Seem to be pricing themselves out of market for small firms. First comments were that I should just pay the increase because of the buyout. I think they should improve my value before raising prices! Three year contract is not competitive! Like the new weekly training classes, hope they will keep these archieved so we can use them for staff training
Accounting, 10,001+ employees
August 9, 2019

“OfficeTools Review”

OverallOverall, I've had a satisfactory experience with the product. Gets the job done.
Pros- Office 365 integration is quite helpful - "Due date" reminders are life-savers - The to-do section helps in personal management of tasks
Cons- Synchronizing with Quickbooks is only supported for the desktop platform, and not the web platform, which is kind of a pain right now - Integrations with other bookkeeping tools isn't great, like excel for example, which makes collaboration outside your immediate team quite difficult. Please help look into this.

By AbacusNext on August 19, 2019
Thank you for your thoughtful review. We're glad OfficeTools helps you work efficiently and that you find the to-do and reminder features useful! You'll be happy to know that we're currently working on an integration with QuickBooks Online, set to release this fall. We appreciate your feedback and hope that OfficeTools will continue to be a trusted part of your practice. Sincerely, The OfficeTools team
August 9, 2019
October 17, 2017

“Office Tools has been a value add to our accounting and tax group. Great product for the price.”

OverallOffice Tools helps our accounting and tax team stay organized and able to prioritize work without missing deadlines. We use the system to allocate resources to streamline the busy season workload and the workflow to make sure we know the status of every project along the way.
ProsIt is a great way to track project progress and make sure deadlines aren't missed. It is also a simple solution to time tracking, although our firm doesn't use the system for billing purposes, it is helpful in budgeting resources.
ConsMy biggest complaint is that reports can't be exported to Excel, and not every pre-built report has all the data required. Without having a custom report prepared by the developers at Office Tools, you are somewhat limited on reporting flexibility.
Andy D.
August 1, 2017

“love the software. It is the First program all staff opens in the morning and last to close”

Overalltotal organization running our office
ProsWe have been using the software since 2007. It runs our office. All client information is under one hood. We use it to track projects as they move thru the office,capturing time , archiving documents and processing our billing as we move thru the month. We schedule our appointments, track phone calls. We use the client portal as a secure way to deliver and receive documents. I highly recommend this software to all accounting firms. You will no longer miss project deadlines. You will capture more billable time and become more efficient in your daily operations. Feel free to contact me for more user perspective
August 1, 2017
Mari R.

“Office Tools”

OverallFor the most part we are pleased with the functionality of Office Tools. The help sections needs to have a few more topics that it will help with.
ProsIt makes organizing files very easy. There are money sort options to choose from when searching for documents. The time tracker is really useful when working on large accounts.
ConsIt does not require an account to have a designated number. It stores information by the name on the account. If there is ever a name change, (such as with a marriage or divorce) all documents assigned to the original name disappear. Also in the billing feature, there is no report that you can run that will let you search by a specific invoice number.
Sherree B.
Executive Assistant
October 23, 2017

“Easy, time-saving, organizing, delight!”

OverallIt greatly helps in our effort for a paper-free office!
ProsI love the phone call section and the to-do section the most. These features make our office run smooth as silk. It is so nice to create a tax season to-do, with thirty-two items on it. I finish the thirty-two items and I am now ready for tax season. Then I change the date on the to-do and it pops up next year. This saves me so much time!
ConsSometimes it takes a little while to fix small problems. Large problems are fixed very quickly though. I wish they would fix the amount of characters possible on the first name line. There really hasn't been too many cons for us, as we love the software!
Ryan J.
October 19, 2017

“The software has the potential to be an elite program but it is grossly underdeveloped.”

ProsIt has all in one capabilities such as client management, time tracking, billing and payment, reports, scheduling, and document storage. The platform layout is clean and user friendly. The learning curve to its features is low to mid-range which can be credited to it's design functionality. It does utilize some integrations well such as the Dymo label printer and Drop Folders. Overall, calls to Customer Support have been adequate with at least 90% problem resolution. I do have to knock the Customer Support to 2 stars because they do not have any early morning east coast support hours. If I have an issue with Office Tools I have to wait 4 hours to reach anybody on the phone. Half of my day is now gone.
ConsCommunication from Office Tools to its software owners is horrible. Known disruptions in services was communicated after the fact. Software updates are non-existent. As of this review, 10/19/17, there has only been 1 public release update to the software in all of 2017 (v2017.019) and that was in January. That is unacceptable. The Contact Screen has a narrow scope in what it allows for user input. I believe there are only 5 open variable fields that we can alter to collect data specific to our practice. The rest of it is dead white space underneath of it. Software only allows one taxpayer's information to be displayed on the main Contacts screen with the spouse relegated to a "More Contacts" tab. It is more efficient to have all contacts displayed on one screen. Client portal only allows for 1 contact email address. The portal is not a responsive web design and certainly not friendly to mobile devices. There are buttons in the portal that are only seen when scrolled over (Pay Now buttons on invoice tab). Payments made via a portal invoice do not sync down to the billing screen. Downloading multiple documents from the portal is inefficient. There is no "Download All" button. E-signing process is convoluted to the signer and has bugs which have not been fixed. Form letters do not give you access to all collected data variables. No user community to introduce or vote on feature requests. LinkedIn or Facebook aren't the solution.
Matthew L.
Enrolled Agent
October 19, 2017

“Hard to find any other option that's as simple and powerful.”

OverallGreat office hub.
Pros70-80% of the features provided are very easy to use and very intuitive. The navigation getting from task to documents to calendar etc is super easy. You feel like a power user almost right away. Documents and the portal system are easy to use and very intuitive. Same with ToDo's, Calls, and schedules. Instant success. Billing is easy at it's basic level but as you get into options and features it can take some time. A fair trade off for the feature set. Time tracking is available for evey screen in the software so that's great.
ConsThey have an amazing base product. They need to stop shooting them selves in the foot on updates, new feature roll out and customer relations. Examples are: 1. Pacific time support hours only. If your on the east coast and you have a problem in the morning, you get to deal with it until 11am. That's a problem. 2. No user community. Facebook and linked in are not user communities. They need to have a place for users to gather, ask and answer questions, and post information about services and updates so users can be informed. 3. Being proactive when there is a system wide issues. Like every software company, things happen from time to time. I have no problem with that. But when it does there should be an e-mail alert to all users and it should be posted in the user community. I should not have to check face book on the off chance something is posted. 4. Loosen control of system variables. The report function, which is very good, hits strong limits when you can only access certain variables from the system depending on the report type. There is no reason to limit access to variables. Multiple reps from inside the company agree with this and have for years, yet no change. 5. Online helps and training. Office tools has some excellent online videos and resources for using their software. But they tend to not be updated regularly and are hit and miss on what they cover and what they don't. There is little consistency in online help. 6. Out of room!!!
Marsha N.
Office Manager / Accounting Executive/Quickbooks Pro Advisor
October 17, 2017

“I have had an amazing experience using Office Tools”

OverallSee my survey
ProsThe record keeping itself is worth its weight in gold. Having one software that lets you store and organize files, create and follow projects, time keeping and billing as well as schedules. I totally have become solely dependent on this one program to enable me to complete days of work into several hours. Customer support is the best. They taught me and helped me without judgement!!
ConsNeed it to be cloud based for easier use anywhere work takes me. Pricing is a bit high for smaller clients. I would like to have all of our accounting clients using this product. I also wish the big Vegas Show was on East Coast as well.
Kyle S.
Partner
October 17, 2017

“Horrible. Unreliable. Blindfolded company culture. ”

OverallIt taught me not to believe the features you read on websites.
ProsThe days it works without data loss or speed issues. More often than not, it is extremely slow and non-responsive. We have an amazing cloud environment with more than adequate resources for this basic application. Office Tools is the only program that is slow or non-responsive on a daily basis.
ConsThere are many many little glitches that we have not brought to supports attention because we were told by your support team: "glitches must have been previously identified to exist". Your engineers told my IT consultant that we were not using the software properly, which resulted in the DATA LOSS we were experiencing. This is complete crap, as I witnessed the issue with my own eyes and know that Office Tools has a critical engineering issue that can result in lost data. I have also experienced the data loss issue across two separate companies (and IT environments) and have experienced this issue as far back as 2014. But that's not important, right? The ABOVE MENTIONED ISSUE IS PROJECT ASSIGNMENTS CAN REVERT TO PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT ANY PROOF THE NEW ASSIGNMENT WAS EVER CREATED. THE PROFILE SYNC DOESN'T WORK. THE CEO ACKNOWLEDGED THIS AS A KNOWN ISSUE YET THE COMPANY IS STILL SELLING IT AS IF IT WORKS. ACCOUNTS WITH THE SAME PRIMARY CONTACT MAY HAVE THEIR FILE NAME CHANGED BY OFFICE TOOLS WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO CHANGE IT BACK TO THE PROPER NAME. THE SIN (CANADA) NUMBER DOESNT SHOW PERIODICALLY UNLESS YOU HIT THE EDIT BUTTON, THEN IT MAGICALLY APPEARS. Overall the software is not reliable and the company culture is disappointing. I brought the data integrity issue to the CEO and he brushed it off as a non issue, despite it being mission critical for his customers. Never will we recommend this software to anyone. It sounds better than it is.
LaFonda M.
October 17, 2017

“Really helps keep our office organized and know exactly where, when, what and why!”

OverallWe are much more organized and spend much less time trying to be organized. It has saved us time which in turn saves us money.
ProsWe love that it integrates with our Office365, that we can easily upload docs to a secure portal, get esignatures for a very low price and that it keeps track of who last touched the "file". Very impressed with being able to send email templates to clients with information we are constantly repeating, which saves an enormous amount of time.
ConsFor an excellent program, you have to put a TON of time in getting it set up. Garbage in Garbage out means you need to have a plan. It would be nice if there was a planning tool to help guide you throught the set up process. The one hour video isn't terribly helpful. An excel spreadsheet would be wonderful, if you do this, you need to do thus kind of thing.
Steven M.
Accounting, Self-employed
August 7, 2017

“Lots of Value - Great Price ”

ProsI'm a sole practitioner. I've used the product for over 8 years. I mainly use the billing, due date monitoring and portal. Office Tools makes my billing process easy. I have set up standard paragraphs and just insert to complete the invoices. Due date monitoring keeps me aware of due dates and will roll forward projects when completed. I have Thomson Reuters Practice included in a subscription package for essentially no cost, but choose to continue using Office Tools as it is a straight forward robust product.
ConsI really don't have any "Cons" per se. On rare occasions, the software will freeze and I'll have to restart.
August 7, 2017
Jeffrey T.
Managing Partner
Accounting, 51-200 employees
August 2, 2017

“Very user friendly software, very customizable, excellent customer support, very reasonably priced.”

OverallKeeps my firm organized through project workflow, keeps track our time and billing, hold all of our client information.
ProsThe software is very user friendly software, very customizable, very reasonably priced. The customer support is amazing and they are open to feature enhancements. The features I enjoy most are the syncing with QuickBooks, the excel import feature, timers and entering time with ease, activity list keep you organized, project workflow is amazing. Very excited about the web based version coming out at the end of 2017.
ConsNeeds to link to other tax software other than just Lacerte. Number of reports could be improved but not bad.
October 26, 2018

“Office Tools is a great program”

OverallOverall it is a good program and I would recommend it. They are always working on adding new features and also have a place for customers to make suggestions on features they would like to see or changes that would be better.
ProsThis software is a great option for tracking clients/vendors/contacts, to do's projects, deadlines, and reminders. I like the options for setting a reminder or not when I create a project. I like to be able to see not just my project /to do list but also for everyone in the office. I also like that we can store documents related to the client/contact/vendor to easily find them when we need them.
ConsSome features and settings are not easy to figure out. It would be nice to customize the program more to our needs but customization's are limited.
October 26, 2018
Sarah S.
Bookkeeper
September 19, 2018

“Great software for CPA firm to keep organized. ”

OverallOverall experience has beeen great! We are learning new things every day that we can accomplish with Office Tools and it's been very beneficial to our growing accounting firm.
ProsIt does everything from scheduling, time tracking, document organization to project management. All of our clients information is together in once place and every one in our office has access to it. I can see who has worked on which projects, for how long and when they've been completed. It also tracks our invoicing and will sync emails to each clients document folder which is super helpful!
ConsAccess to all of the features can be modified for each employee, however changing it to allow access isn't very clear and doesn't give detail on what it allows them access to. Overall great software!
September 19, 2018
Nathalie M.
Tax Accountant
May 16, 2019

“Office Tools - Good for Small Companies”

OverallI had a very positive experience with Office Tools. It was very easy to use and could store a lot of data. Opening, copying, and saving documents was also very efficient
ProsI liked how user friendly the software was. It was easy to store and save data as well as track workflows.
ConsCreating workflows wasn't very intuitive

By AbacusNext on May 17, 2019
Dear Nathalie, Thank you for taking the time to review OfficeTools. We're so glad you found the software to be user-friendly, and we appreciate your feedback about creating workflows. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come. Best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882
May 16, 2019
Leticia R.
Staff Accountant
October 24, 2018

“Office Tools”

OverallOffice Tools is a nice data management software. It allows the user to keep track of a time card, which is crucial to a CPA firm.
ProsI like the way it allows the user to drag source documents into the data management program. Emails are also easy to drag into. Most documents are easily dragged into the software program with ease. It also allows to keep track of projects and their progress. Nice feature.
ConsI wish they had a better way to store the information. Yes there are the filters to bring up certain years and data. However, it would be a better software if the data were stored in folders. Where the folders were named and there reside the documents. They would be out of sight until one needs to search for certain information.
October 24, 2018
Darshan P.
Designated Hitter
Retail, 51-200 employees
October 8, 2018

“Number and Data tools for good”

ProsThis tool helps me to keep my daily accounting and numbers data practice run on time with so many different features like Clients time tracking, scheduling, processing signatures, mass data sharing, and easily get control on data sharing. In long term it helps us to show that where we are standing when seeing our tax returns at the end of year. Also have a good metrics in terms of dollars of where and how we are spending every day.
ConsLots of functions are not used by our company. So they should give an option to the company of what tools will be used based on that payment should be decided. - Canon Scanners (We don't use canon scanners) - Portal not the way we want to organize it or modify it
October 8, 2018
Gloria D.
Administrative Manager
October 23, 2017

“Overall great practice management.”

OverallIt has streamlined our document management and simplified the need for multiple programs to manage the workflow.
ProsI love the convenience of having my contact information, billing history, client data and records all within the same program. It definitely helps maintain a smooth workflow.
ConsThis software still has many limits. Multi-tasking is very difficult because you have to constantly change contacts and screens. The report functions are not very robust. I would really like to see Crystal Reports built into OT so that I could truly customize my reports, letters, and invoices.
Brad W.
Partner
October 17, 2017

“OT brings together time & billing, project and document management, and client portal all-in-one.”

OverallThis software brought together several tools we were previously using into one seamless interface. The interface is intuitive and easy for people to learn and use.
ProsWe like that OT combines many tools into one system, including time & billing, project management, document management, and client portal. The system is very easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training for new staff. The interface is modern and the system really works well for our firm of about 40.
ConsThere are a lot of predefined reports and filters, but we wish there was more customization available, such as a report writer feature.
Ashley A.
Operations Manager
March 21, 2019

“Abacus is bring Office Tools down ”

ProsI have been using Office Tools for years and it has helped tremendously with keeping all of my company's client data and projects in order. The reports are somewhat customizable and easy to read. The Projects tab enables us to have a good audit trail of all work by using the Work List, Project Definitions and Project Assignments.
ConsSince Office Tools has been taken over by Abacus the price of the program has gone up significantly while the features have barely been updated (the updates it did get aren't that great) and the customer service has gone down significantly. In the past I would call customer support and be helped on the spot or given an appointment no later than the next day. Now I call in and am told they will put in a case and I'll get a call back shortly, which really means in hours or the next day or the day after. I recently put in customer service requests on 2 separate issues and was repeatedly told that I'd get a call back or that my case was escalated. One issue was never resolved and I put in the case in January. The other is going on 2 weeks now with no results. Its ridiculous that Abacus expects us to pay higher prices and sign contracts, but not give us the customer service we need. I've even reached out to the sales manager and am given the same answers.
March 21, 2019
Julie D.
Bookkeeper
October 18, 2018

“Still Learning All Possible Uses”

OverallThis program has helped me organize my week and prevented missing deadlines.
ProsI like the monthly schedule because I can take a look at one page and see what I have coming up for the week. The only complaint is, I am now entering as appointments and in the past I was able to enter as "to do's" Also, am impressed with the customer service when I had problems with resetting my password.
ConsIt will take some time to learn all of the possible uses, but like what I have used to date. Do wish there were more training options. We have the assignments set up and I like being able to see what needs to be done but can be overwhelming if you get behind.
October 18, 2018
Michele A.
CPA/Owner
October 23, 2017

“support has been great, pretty easy to use”

Overalltracks my employees time so I know how much to bill my clients. I use it as my billing program and to keep track of employees time to I know what their hours are each week
Prosthe information is very accessible. the program is pretty easy to use. has reports that are very helpful and I don't think I use the program to its fullest potential
Conswhen an update goes through we seem to have a glitch and when we go into the program it says we are already logged in so we aren't allowed. We have to go in on another user and switch something to be allowed access.
Stacy H.
October 18, 2017

“Exponentially Increased Productivity !”

ProsThe ability to record client contact. Having client documents at your fingertips. No more paper files to haul around. Office staff can check on the progress of a clients tax return just by looking for their name. Notes about missing documents needed to complete a tax return are right there so anyone can pick up where someone else left off.
ConsCould have better client reporting options. Maybe a way to bypass steps in the project to jump ahead without doing each step individually.
October 18, 2017
Charmayne H.
Document Manager
October 15, 2018

“One top ap for all your office needs”

OverallWe use OT the most for billing clients. It does a great job tracking employee hours and allowing the flexibility to change bills.
ProsThe favorite thing about Office Tools is the to-do list. It helps keep me on task and remembers the important tasks that I need to be sure to remember.
ConsThe letter writing function is difficult and time consuming. What you see in the letter screen is not always the same format that is printed. It takes a lot of time to save any changes that you make.
October 15, 2018
Jon V.
October 23, 2017

“Overall the program works well. ”

ProsProject tracking and shared calenders
ConsUsers must have admin control over calendars to view them. It seems users need admin control to do just about anything if it involves other users. We sometimes hire temps. We need them to view the calendar and contacts but we don't trust them to edit them. We have had a number of appointments moved by mistake. We aren't notified about updated until we call in with a problem and are then told they will send us the update. Why aren't the updates pushed out?
October 23, 2017

“Without this software our office wouldn't be able to function. ”

Overallkeeping everything straight. with so many clients and "projects" its imperative to know where everything stands. who has it, whats being done, whats missing, etc. having the documents in the system attached to everything (be it a meeting, a call a project) is a huge positive.
ProsEverything you need to know about any client, contact, etc. is all in one place. whether it be an email, a phone message, document, meeting notes, client files, projects, time and billing. we can research anything and find anything on them. one stop shopping.
October 17, 2017

“OTP is relatively easy to use. It is quite forgiving.”

OverallMuch easier for billing purposes, tracking projects and allowed us to reduce the number of software products used in a day.
ProsQuick and easy entering new contacts. Many ways to classify and group contacts. I'm also a big fan of the "bill to contact" feature. It's easy to focus on the clients you need to contact.
ConsOnly one email can be utilized per contact. Not easily managed when contact name has to change and they often do in cases of marriage, divorce, death of one of a couple or sale of company etc.
Catherine S.
October 21, 2017

“Comprehensive, seamless, efficient. I love it more all the time. It is a great value. ”

OverallIncreased revenue, better time management, better client and staff metrics.
ProsThe comprehensive design is delightful. It really does give CRM, time and billing, document management, project tracking, calendar and scheduling, and more that I don't even use yet. Nothing else I have looked at for myself or clients compares.
ConsThe portal service is a bit cumbersome for our clients sporadic use since the forget their passwords and lose the log in info.
October 21, 2017
Katie H.
Tax Accountant
October 17, 2017

“The Practice Management we have been searching for!”

OverallThe amount of information this product can provide has been a powerful tool for our firm. It has significantly reduced the amount of time it takes to setup new clients because we have been able to reduce the amount of software our company uses. It also is a time saving tool with the automatic email and text appointment reminders.
ProsWe love that is a one stop shop for all of our practice management needs. We have been able to reduce the number of programs our company uses because of this. The software is also incredibly easy to navigate. The team at OfficeTools is great if we ever have an issue that we can not resolve ourselves or with the online support.
ConsThe only con we have found with this software is with some of the reports we want to see, it doesn't appear the program can produce. Luckily, there are workarounds for this.
Patrick F.
Shareholder
June 21, 2018

“Was a good value, not anymore.”

ProsThe software has most of the workflow functions centralized. Time & Billing, Client Database, a watered down document management, and calendar.
ConsWe have used it for 4 years now. The basic functions work well, unless they push an update and it breaks something. (2018.059) Lots of functions in the software are of zero use to us - Integration with Lacerte (We use Proseries) Integration with QB for billing/collections (We are cash basis in QB) Canon Scanners (We use large multifunction Ricohs) Portal (No better than our website portal) Cost - Abacus took over, gave us no communication, and a month before busy season help us hostage and doubled our cost. Here we are a year later and have doubled our cost again. ZERO improvement in the software since they took over and increased cost. The latest update Abacus pushed out literally broke the software. Printing reports and collecting payments now take extra steps. Doubling the cost twice with zero improvement to the product is how you lose business. We are actively looking for a replacement. Even if it costs the same as Office Tools, having communication, customer service, and trust is worth more. They completely fumbled this merger.
June 21, 2018
Daniel S.
October 30, 2017

“Overwhelming but the only software that handles our 3 of our major needs all in one place. ”

OverallClient info, notes and documents are all in one place.
ProsIt keeps Client info, notes and documents all in one place. It will keep permanent notes on clients plus
ConsThe dashboard is visually overwhelming. It is really hard to see what you need to do at a glance. Way to many places to enter dates for a project. Overall it is cumbersome to use. Plus you charge us to have people help us understand the overly complicated program.
Sandy J.
August 2, 2017

“Great program! Really helped us move our practice to the next level. ”

OverallIncreased revenues. Increased productivity. Increased accuracy.
ProsImproved project tracking and time management increased our revenues more than enough to pay for the entire cost of the program. Employees are more productive. Projects and files are easier to find and track. Clients love the portal.
ConsNot an overnight learn. Took three months to fully implement. Four years later, we're still learning but definitely worth it.
T. Marshall R.
December 12, 2018

“Workflow that works for us!”

OverallExcellent -- we rely on it to keep our systems working. It offers a lot of functionality including communication among the office and ease of retrieving prior information.
ProsWe appreciate the ability to have one software that provides so much utility -- Contact info, Notes, Documents, Projects, Calls, etc
ConsThere is a learning curve on how to use the software fully. And the reports are a bit difficult to decipher.
December 12, 2018
Jon B.
December 26, 2017

“I like the product but it is really difficult to learn. ”

ProsTime tracking, client notes, database management, scheduling, and reports used to track productivity. I also like how the portal syncs up to client document folders. I also like the recurring billing feature which allows you to automatically bill time on a recurring basis.
ConsDifficulty to learn. Training is expensive and hard to get certain times of the year. Now that Abacus is the owner of Office Tools, I feel that customers are dealt with in more of an adversarial way. They are likely going to drive me away as a result.
December 26, 2017
Gina T.
October 30, 2017

“Great software, could use some improvements”

OverallHaving all my firms client info in one place. Being able to track projects through the office.
ProsI like having everything tied together, having all a single client's info in one place, being able to link related clients, have all notes in one place, etc.
ConsThere are some bugs, it's also a very hefty program so it sometimes runs slow on our aging server. Also it's pretty complex to learn and some features are counterintuitive.
Elaine S.
Administration
October 23, 2017

“This software is easy to use, easy to train others on.”

OverallIt serves so many purposes for our CPA firm, and all in one package. It has been our bible for over 8 years.
ProsThe software is intuitive & handles so many functions necessary to the CPA profession: time sheets, project management, document management, billing, schedules, QB sync, etc. And we use it all.
ConsOccasionally we have glitches when a new update comes out, but the OT tech team is very responsive.
Elaine R.
Executive Assistant
October 17, 2017

“Great product; great value”

ProsThis product is made easier to justify as it links daily productivity to QuickBooks and Outlook. Invoicing through Office Tools is quick and relatively simple. All client information is held in one location/application. No need to open multiple windows to gather details and statistics on projects and/or clients.
ConsThere are a few bugs when receiving retainers and then not applying retainers to invoices to specific clients. Also need a way to be able to send invoices to clients with copies to "relationships" other than doing it manually.