ActBlue Ratings

Overall
3.5/5
1.5/5

About ActBlue

Fundraising technology for the left. Our mission is to democratize power and help small-dollar donors make their voices heard. Learn more about ActBlue

Robert A.
Principal Software Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
March 26, 2019

“Easy to use, easy to stop using. A fine way to donate to candidate(s) you support.”

OverallVery positive. A convenient way to donate to Democratic candidates. Really the only downside is an increase in email from other candidates, which is easily dealt with (by unsubscribing once from each such candidate.)
ProsI'm scratching my head over the negative reviews here. (I can't help wondering if they are legit, or if they are intended to inhibit fundraising for Democrats.) I've used ActBlue upteen times. Never had a problem cancelling a recurring donation (which I have done). Never had a problem with a donation becoming recurring when I had designated it as one-time (I've made both kind of donations). Never had a problem opting out of future emails from candidates (yes, you do get them; you're on the "will donate to Democrats" list. I unsubscribe once from each candidate and that's it - silence.)
ConsIt does make me feel guilty that it asks for a contribution to defray ActBlue's expenses (ActBlue is a non-profit that doesn't charge candidates up-front; the ActBlue FAQ says the charge a ~4% processing fee on donations.)
March 26, 2019
Political Organization, 1-10 employees
May 16, 2019

“ActBlue is the gold standard for receiving and making donations within the Democratic ecosystem”

ProsAs I say in my title, ActBlue is the gold standard for receiving and making donations within the Democratic ecosystem. The ActBlue Express feature makes it easy for donors to make one-click donations in emails if they save their contact information. We've seen significantly higher conversion rates on their donation pages relative to other platforms.
ConsTheir events and merchant tools are subpar compared to other platforms. This wouldn't be a problem except they require exclusivity to use ActBlue Express which means you are locked in.
Rod K.
July 30, 2018

“I used ActBlue to donate money to a political cause. It turned out to be a nightmare.”

ProsWhen things are working, they are a great idea to collecively service small donors so that they can have a collective voice in political and social causes.
ConsThey are known to turn your one time donation into a recurring donation without asking your permission. I had to cancel my credit card because there was no way for me to turn off the donation at their end. I tried to cancel my account with them and they refused to do it. There is really something wrong going on. Why politicans and social groups use ActBlue to manage their donation solicitations is beyond me. you cannot go online and stop or change your credit card that is being used for the last donation. Criminal behavior. Check out all the complaints online.
July 30, 2018
Sue S.
NA
Accounting, Self-employed
June 19, 2019

“You cannot trust these people. ”

OverallI would NEVER donate money to a candidate via this organization.
ProsEase of you in doing donations. That is pretty much it.
ConsMy experience has been that ACTBLUE is unethical in their practice of getting on-line donations for candidates. My husband was very ill and not thinking clearly. He wanted to donate money to a candidate during last years elections. Because he was not clearly I was checking our credit card charges routinely and noticed repeated charges by ACTBLUE in ever increasing amounts. I talked to my husband who was not clear on things but was adamant that he did not do donations as frequently and as in large amounts as were being charged against our card. I reached out to ACTBLUE via email and phone in an effort to explain the situation going on with my husband and ask them to delete him from their mailing list. They repeatedly promised to do so and for a few months we would be fine. Then again I would see more and more charges in higher and higher amounts. At that point my husband was so ill he was hardly out of bed much less approving these amounts. I finally had to send ACTBLUE a threatening letter which included the me having power of attorney over my husband's affairs. I also told them that if they did this one more time I would go to Senator Lindsay Grahams office (I live in SC) and explain that ACTBLUE was actively abusing the elderly and disabled, and that I imagined Senator's Graham's office might find that interesting. That I am a lifelong democrat but my primarily was to protect my family. That did seem to stop it.
June 19, 2019
January 18, 2018

“Act Blue profiled me as an easy mark”

OverallInitially I thought it eased my ability to contribute thoughtfully. Then, it became apparent that I was being targeted for support of specific campaigns that were outside my comfort zone. At that point, its drawbacks exceeded its utility.
ProsExtremely simple for the recipient to process a contribution to a politician or a donation to a cause.
ConsOnce the software captures your identification and some contribution history, it plies the 'mark' with email upon email, ostensibly from candidates, soliciting money to be dispensed to Act Blue's account for further distribution. My attempts to be removed from their email lists have been fruitless. Thank goodness for spam blocking services. I am a loyal Democrat. The use of this type of software has soured me on the Democratic Party because it is so transparently manipulative. I will never contribute to a candidate or a cause that has Act Blue's fingerprints on it.
January 18, 2018
Susan B.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
August 13, 2019

“Missing receipts, can't stop recurring payments”

OverallIt's easy to use until you find a problem and want to stop using it automatically.
ProsEasy to use until you want to change how you use it. Always check your receipts against your payments.
Cons1. Several receipts are missing, though payment was taken; 2. After realizing the above, I opted to stop recurring monthly payments in favor of individual monthly payments, but they keep going through, 3. Had to cancel the card recurring payments were being made on to stop them.
August 13, 2019
Thelma H.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
August 20, 2019

“Trusted choice of Contribution Selection and Participation”

OverallI have had very positive experiences. I appreciate having the ability to share my personal experiences of its use and overall satisfaction.
ProsWhat I liked most of all regarding this software have been the features offered to its users. After a donor makes a payment, an email confirmation is sent. Donors who have multiple organizations they are in support of, have the option at a single transaction to make more than one donation. If at any time, a charge that was not authorized, i.e. recurring donation have the option of canceling or managing donations. In the age of cyber crimes, their security measures give both the organization and contributors a greater sense of security.
ConsI have no negative thoughts or concerns regarding the use of this software application.
August 20, 2019
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1000 employees
November 2, 2018

“easy to send a contribution”

OverallThis program makes it easy to contribute. You can opt to keep your contact information in so you don't need to re-enter it again and again.
ProsThe ease with which I was able to send a contribution. Then, the next time I wanted to send one, my contact information was there so I didn't need to re-enter everything.
ConsI didn't realize it was the software used by the person I was contributing to. So, I was skeptical at first.
Michele O.
RN
July 29, 2018

“HORRIBLE ! Because I only donated once ! But they are trying to automatically withdraw MONTHLY !”

ProsThey make it hard to cancel but easy to use. Billing me NOT according to what I initially agreed to donate.
ConsI feel scammed! It has made me not want to donate. I am being charged monthly and it was only supposed to be a ONE TIME CHARGE!
July 29, 2018
Christine B.
Advisor
Political Organization, Self-employed

“Rip off”

OverallYou need to credit my accounts with all of the excessive transactions you have illegally removed from my account. You did it one year for Patty Murray, YEARS AGO, and are doing it again.
ProsThis is the second time they have taken repeated donations when I've authorized ONE.
ConsApparently, you have a little flaw, when it asks if you want a one time donation or repeated. Your flaw has gone on for years, which apparently a feature to you, not a flaw. Fix it.
Kelly K.
Retired teacher
Education Management, 201-500 employees
June 29, 2019

“unethical- their system reflects poorly on DEMS”

OverallPoor. Do not trust them at all! Am currently contacting my bank to block them from my account.
ProsEase of use. That's what makes them dangerous!
ConsThey overcharged my account $50! I donated $25 towards Elizabeth Warren's campaign, and they added two more unauthorized $25 charges to my account. I used them a few years ago to donate to Bernie Sanders campaign and it happened then too! I will never donate through this app again!!
June 29, 2019
Marian W.
Photographer
Photography, Self-employed
August 29, 2018

“ActBlue Scams Another Loyal Dem”

OverallDISGUSTING, SCAMMER
ProsIt's the most faulty software I've ever encountered. Comparable to "phone but more insidious because they make unauthorized deductions from your bank account.
ConsIts inability to accept entries to its own questions or, it accepts entry but goes directly to an unrelated page.
August 29, 2018
Jeremy G.
Performance Analyst
Government Administration, 1-10 employees
May 16, 2019

“There's a reason its the standard”

OverallRaise funds for club organization.
ProsTotal donation management for campaigns. I also appreciate that donors are used to and expect this platform. I find that it makes the donation process more approachable when your donors already know the process. It makes it less awkward.
ConsThis is personal, but our organization took time to set up Actblue because the current board did not know if we were registered as 501c4 or c3 and that was required to begin.
Melissa O.
Sales
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
April 24, 2019

“Over charged no customer service”

ProsThis is a stupid website. I don't use the software I use the service.
ConsI was OVER charged and has no way of fixing the issues. I called and emailed countless times. No answers. I donated $5.50 and was charged $550.00. There was no option to cancel or edit. Now my account is over drawn all because I wanted to donate to a good cause.
April 24, 2019