Sonix Ratings

Overall
4.8/5
4.9/5
4.8/5

About Sonix

Sonix is not a typical transcription service. Sonix is an online platform. Upload a file to Sonix, and you'll have an online transcript in less than 5 minutes. Browser-based transcript stitches audio/video to text. Easily search & analyze all your transcripts for qualitative analysis and decoding. Multiuser permissions make it easy to share transcripts across team members. Create video subtitles and captions in minutes. Dozens of export options, integrations, and API. Learn more about Sonix

Computer Games, 1-10 employees
July 9, 2019

“Sonix is a full-preview of Future Technology, it becomes really amazing to transcribe audios”

OverallI am a youtuber and I upload short movies based on Video Games and it generally becomes compulsory for me to give subtitles to the videos manually and Sonix works for me very well. Also, I am a part-time writer and Blogger and most of the times, it becomes boring to write those long lines and pages, here again Sonix works for me to transcribe my own recorded audio files.
ProsI am a Game Developer and film-maker, I generally upload my game videos on YouTube and it is really very much important for me to provide subtitles on my videos but it becomes way boring to write all the subtitles when the Video is really lengthy and sometimes it also becomes impossible to write everything in time, So in this case Sonix is the best software for me to use and transcribe all my Audio and video files and get them in written formats so that I could easily check them and place them on my videos, this whole process becomes so much easy and interesting. Transcribing an audio or video file doesn't actually takes more time than expected when using Sonix and this is the best second most important point that I would prefer everyone to once give it a try as Sonix provides a 30 minute free trial for newbies and after that, it will be paid but still a convenient way. Sonix doesn't always provides 100% accuracy but still we get atleast 80-90% accuracy rate or even more but to get everything working correctly, Sonix provides a feature of doing corrections manually and when doing so, when we select a mistaken word the audio or video file continues exactly from there irrespective of where it was before. Sonix has a nice and easy to understanding interface which gives it a charm look and makes the mood of doing the work.
ConsThough, there's nothing bad about Sonix but there could be some instances when transcribing an audio becomes hard as it becomes laggy when using a heavy audio file. Also, they should provide a longer trial duration so that newbies can learn if they should use it or not.
July 9, 2019
Chris L.
PhD researcher
Research, 5001-10,000 employees
August 1, 2019

“The people from Sonix are life savers”

OverallI used Sonix for transcription of interviews and it exceeded my expectations. I love it.
ProsThe user interface works intuitively and smooth. Over the time that I used Sonix that introduced new features and everytime it was an improvement. One improvement that I loved was that the audio would stop playing when you edit the text and start playing immediately after. This really sped up the process of finalizing the transcripts. Customer service (just for questions, I never had any complaints) was super responsive and friendly. The quality of the transcriptions is really good. I cannot recommend Sonix enough.
ConsIn my experience, there were 2 types of situations where the quality of the transcriptions suffered. The first is when there are more than 2 speakers, especially when some interviewees were sitting around a large table and therefore sat physically too far from my recorder. In those cases, the first couple of words or a sentence from a new speaker would often not be picked up. The second is when there was loud background music playing. In those cases the sentences in the transcripts would be cut short, meaning that after every couple of words there would be a period followed by a capitalized word. But, I cannot stress this enough, this is to be expected from any transcription service. It is just something to keep in mind: if you do plan to transcribe your recordings just make sure that speakers are reasonably close to your recorder and that you avoid bars/restaurants. Otherwise, the transcripts were very good and the editing experience was even better. I cannot recommend Sonix enough.
August 1, 2019
Mauro C.
Associate Professor of Engineering
Design, 501-1000 employees
May 10, 2018

“It was amazing how quickly and accurately the audio file was completed!”

OverallSaves so much time and effort. I will have to work manually to edit but that's so much better than having to start from scratch.
ProsThe speaker on the uploaded 15 minutes audio file sometimes garbled or slurred his words, and yet Sonix was able to complete a transcription that was 90 % accurate in only 3 min. The audio editor is remarkable - I've never seen anything like it. Each word in the transcription is highlighted perfectly in sync as the audio is played. You can click the mouse in between a few words before the current word and the audio will start again at that point. There is absolutely no lag time after clicking to start the audio playing again - it's immediate! I have produced transcriptions before using the MPC audio player positioned in a small rectangle of space on the bottom of my screen widened to fit the entire width of the screen to make it easier to move the pointer back a few seconds while checking the accuracy of the transcription using Word. I manually transcribed 6 hours of audio this way years ago. I think it took me 20-25 hours to do this. What a chore! Now there is Sonix that can transcribe audio in a fraction of the time, with 90+ percent accuracy. And it's so very much easier to just click a few words back to check accuracy, instead of trying to manipulate an audio pointer. PLUS - not only can I download a Word doc but also a .srt captions file that can be added to the original video to produce a captioned video from the same original transcription! This is the only way I will produce transcriptions from now on, saving so much time and effort!
ConsJust a little more time and I will get completely used to the editor interface. It's already very intuitive, but I just have to increase my "muscle memory" to hit tab to start and stop, click here to start somewhere new, etc. Really, no cons at all to speak of. Can't wait to think of new features for Sonix to add. I'm sure they will be very responsivee to customer requests
May 10, 2018
Ernesto G.
Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees
July 18, 2019

“Surprisingly accurate and super easy to edit”

OverallI've just started using them but am so impressed with the results, the service and the customer service that I'm starting to transcribe all my previous podcast episodes and phasing out the use of Google Cloud transcription despite that being FREE at the volume that I require.
ProsIt's accuracy for transcribing conversations How simple it is to edit and export the transcript The embed code so I can add a transcript AND a player to my website and even pull the original MP3 from my podcast host so that those plays count towards my stats. THE AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE!
ConsThe pricing structure is difficult to grasp at first. I would still try to simplify it because it's confusing. You get charged a membership fee which then gives you access to transcription services which are billed based on usage. I now understand that they do this so you don't have to be paying monthly for transcription which you might not need but then you're paying a membership anyway Also, I'd like to be able to save snippets and common words to improve the AI and make my editing process easier but that's a very minor thing.
July 18, 2019
Blake O.
Head Honcho
Accounting, Self-employed
February 27, 2019

“Super fast transcriptions with easy editing and a great embedded player”

OverallOverall, Sonix is the best way I know of to get my podcast out there for a wider audience. For the latest episode twice as many people read/listened to the episode using the Sonix player as downloaded and listened in a podcast app like Apple Podcasts. So we tripled our listeners to that episode thanks to Sonix.
ProsI love the embedded transcript / audio player. I use Sonix to transcribe podcast episodes and embed the transcript on my website. It's way better than a traditional transcription service because visitors to my site can click anywhere in the transcript to hear the audio at exactly that moment. I also get the benefit of the transcript being indexed by Google.
ConsCurrently they don't have an integrated human review/editing process. I use a contractor to clean up the transcripts because the AI isn't 100% perfect yet - no AI is at this point that I know of. So it takes a little more effort than a service such as Rev to get the transcript perfect. But the price ends up being the same or less, and the interactive transcript is something you just don't get with other services and makes it worth it.
Jorge M.
Ingeniero de sistemas
March 12, 2018

“The recording, transcription and editing functions are really great.”

OverallIt allows a greater benefit saving time and I can make my projects faster, being able to quickly transcribe audio and make it searchable is the greatest benefit. The recording, transcription and editing functions are really good and easy to use ..
ProsThe editing functionality is very good it does a very good job of transcription, so it really is not necessary to make many modifications to the transcribed text. The design is very clear, which facilitates its use and allows you to upload files in a fast and efficient way, the editing functionality that you have is very complete allowing the audio track and the transcribed text to be synchronized so that it is really easy to follow the audio and make online editions of the transcribed text
March 12, 2018
Media Production, 1-10 employees
January 8, 2019

“Sonix saves the day!”

OverallWe used to get a lot of transcription done on Rev, but have switched almost 100% to Sonix. It takes a bit more time making corrections, but the experience is so easy that it's totally worth it.
ProsFirst off, the pricing can't be beat. For large volume transcription, Sonix is the best. The online editor is so easy and user friendly, by far the best I've used. The ability to download .srt files for all transcripts is a huge bonus.
ConsI wish Sonix's AI could learn from its mistakes. Over hundreds of transcripts, it still can not understand our organization's name. A user dictionary or something to correct commonly misunderstood words would be a huge benefit.
January 8, 2019
Dan H.
Solution Architect
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
July 11, 2019

“Needed to write a training course, fast!”

OverallI needed to write an end-user training class and had a very short period of time to do it. I was able to use the transcriptions from recordings of several previous training sessions to define a clear and effective outline to the course. If I had to sit and listen to all those recordings it would have taken me at least 5x as long to write the instructor manual. The cost was very reasonable considering how much time it save me.
ProsThe time it took to transcribe several hours of audio was incredibly fast.
ConsSometimes it struggles with accents and it was really odd how it would handle male voices differently than female voices - for example the sentence "You might have a tendency to make it last months" spoken by a male might be transcribed as 'You might have a tendency to make it last months" but for a female it would transcribe it as 'You might have a pregnancy to make it last months' - we had a bit of a laugh about that, but it probably had more to do with the speaker's accent than their gender.
July 11, 2019
Monica A.
Content Optimizer
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
September 7, 2019

“Worth it!”

OverallLove it, will continue to use and refer
ProsI love how easy it is to navigate, keep organized and upload what I need. The accuracy is satisfactory and it's one of the most reasonably priced platforms- since research is a service I provide for my clients, I'm confident in knowing that this is simply THE best
ConsNot a thing- infact more pros- I LOVE that they added the beta testing to transcribe straight from youtube. Makes it SO much easier when I'm transcribing for my clients- less hand-offs, less downloads on my computer. Please keep this feature.
September 7, 2019
Ray H.
Academic
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees
March 13, 2019

“Transcription made so much easier in a fraction of the time”

OverallThe support from the Sonix team has been excellent with solving both technical questions related to the product as well as providing advice and payment options to suit my situation as an educator. Very impressive!
ProsThe software is very intuitive to use and contains really helpful features like being able to review and correct details in the transcript while listening to the audio. This is the first software I have used that recognises and differentiates between multiple voices with a functional level of accuracy.
ConsThis hardly seems like a disadvantage however, there is an investment of time required in reviewing and correcting 'misinterpretations' of words and phrases in the produced transcript. You also need to manually give an identity to the speaker of each transcribed passage of text though this takes a fraction of the time and cost expended on manual transcription.
March 13, 2019
María Magdalena Z.
Advisor / Consultant
May 7, 2018

“Not the best, but worth a try!”

ProsIt's an really good web editor. Innovative with SEO friendly media embeds, and provides good automated service with a nice group of editing tools.
ConsPrices are high prices and its performance could be iffy, unreliable if you work with complex files.

By Sonix on May 10, 2018
Sonix works best with high quality audio. If you audio has background noise, people talking over each other, or strong accents, the resulting transcript will be affected. We published this page to help users capture clear audio: https://sonix.ai/greataudio
May 7, 2018
Moritz H.
Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees
July 30, 2019

“Amazing Transcription Software with a great price”

OverallIt helped to save so much time, did not expect that to happen - life saver!
Pros- amazing UI - good quality transcription for German language even though sometimes low quality recording - easy to refine transcription manually - great price, great bargain + you can quit monthly
Cons- to be honest I expected nothing but was amazed, so cannot really say anything although there is always room for improvement like the accuracy of transcription etc.
July 30, 2019
Tyas P.
Student
International Affairs, Self-employed
September 28, 2019

“Amazing Transcription Service-Tool”

OverallAs a student, I often do research on several topics, and I use the services provided by Sonix to get all the transcriptions for my research analysis material.
ProsIt's very easy to use, just by entering a few topics and keywords a very high-quality transcription will appear!
ConsSometimes transcriptions that appear repeatedly and do not fit the topic but only occur if the topic being discussed is indeed less focused and too general
September 28, 2019
Barret D.
Marketing Specialist
June 4, 2018

“Very good accuracy. Quick turnover. Easily edited. Saves hours.”

ProsI love how this saves me so much time. That is the biggest benefit for me. In thirty minutes, I can do what would take me 8 hours otherwise.
ConsThe only thing that there is not to like is when some words don't get recognized. Understandably, it's going to miss some here and there.
June 4, 2018
Conor L.
Doctor and Journalist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
October 27, 2017

“Great experience using this product so far. Sonix has been reliable and accurate every time. ”

OverallI've been using it for recording interviews. The recording, transcribing, and editing functions are really great.
ProsI love the editing function. Being able to click on a word and have the audio automatically sync with where you've clicked is a very useful feature. I also just really like the user-interface. I've been using this for journalism interviews, and it's been really reliable.
ConsThere were some problems with downloading the audio using a firefox browser. I couldn't get it to work. But actually this ended up being a "pro" after all, because it made me realize how awesome the support is at sonix: I emailed them about it and they got back to me with helpful feedback and worked it out right away. Great stuff.
October 27, 2017
Elina L.
Design Lead
October 26, 2017

“Smart, Practical, Efficient! ”

ProsWow. I'm so impressed with this product! Since using Sonix.ai I've been able to edit audio transcriptions (for user research interviews) at lightning speed compared to traditional software. I especially love how intuitive the controls are to pick up - there was literally 0 time spent to learn it! I also really enjoy the ability to dive into the anatomy of the transcript - being able to visualize and break down the files...like automatically detect the software's confidence levels in picking up a word. Makes this an even more powerful tool. Highly recommended - this is one of my favorite arsenal of tools online!
Lucía O.
Teacher English Foreign Language
May 29, 2018

“The best transcriber I've tried”

OverallI love It
ProsIt is really quickly for to transcribe and edit my recordings. And It does a great job, almost without mistakes. It helps me to save a lot of time
ConsI really have no complaints or something bad to say about Sonix. It is very helpful in my transcriptions
May 29, 2018
Dmitrii S.
Head of Growth
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
July 29, 2019

“Awesome tool right from the future”

OverallGuys do their job brilliantly, I highly recommend Sonix!
Pros1) 90-95% accuracy transcribing any accents of English automatically, you almost do not need to fix mistakes, only minor ones occur. 2) Transcribes 15-minute long interviews in just 2 minutes and notifies you when done. 3) Highlights text when proofreading the transcripts, accepts changes on the fly 4) The value for money is just amazing
ConsI had only positive experience with the service.
July 29, 2019
Scotty M.
Digital Marketer
May 11, 2018

“Great, easy-to-use, software that's absolutely killing the transcription game.”

ProsI can edit audio but just crossing out words mid-sentence, right from my finished transcription, HOW COOL IS THAT?! Not only is Sonix changing the way we receive and edit our transcriptions, it's completely revolutionizing the way we edit audio by cutting out the middleman. A Podcaster's Dream.
ConsI haven't been able to find a weakness yet. There's always going to be a bit of a shake up here and there with a computer-automated transcript, but the mistakes are small are easy to edit. No problems on my end.
May 11, 2018
Francesco P.
International Affairs, 1-10 employees
June 13, 2019

“Great Product”

ProsEasy to learn, easy to use, very useful in case of short time to elaborate documents
ConsItalian language is OK, but could be better :-)
June 13, 2019
Paul S.
Writer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
August 13, 2019

“Powerful transcription software a normal person can use right away”

OverallI am transcribing recorded interviews from others and putting them into a written document for relatives to read.
ProsEasy to use and web site offers good help. Customer service is responsive and helpful. I don't need to use foot pedals or some other device to make use of this software. A normal person with a normal computer setup could make good use of it.
ConsSeemed pricey at first for the amount I use it. But, new hourly standard plan will be perfect for individual use like mine.
Amy S.
Higher Education, Self-employed
May 27, 2019

“Great product and service for what I needed it for - well done”

OverallGreat overall product, would definitely recommend to all. Im only cancelling my subscription because I no longer need to transcribe stuff.
ProsThe ease of use and the accuracy was pretty good, despite not having the dictionary in it that I needed (but that is understandable).
ConsNothing. All I have are positive comments. My only recommendation would be to broaden the number of dictionaries you have in your library (but I also know that that is not as easy at it seems, logistics, costs, translations etc).
May 27, 2019
Telecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
April 18, 2019

“An awesome DIY transcript program”

OverallTranscribing podcasts for posting on the blog.
ProsSonix is one of those rare programs that works so well that I can hardly find any faults with it. It's such a great interface because not only does it turn an MP3 into words on a page, it lets you edit in real time to fix any of the expected glitches the AI missed.
ConsIt doesn't render all voices perfectly, requiring some manual editing. I'd be amazed if it was able to do that, but maybe as AI improves.
April 18, 2019
Ina Eliza G.
Administrator
Insurance, 11-50 employees
October 8, 2019

“It is a life and time saver! ”

OverallI am really happy with it. All the tools that it offers, the good quality of the text. It does save me time and energy and nerves.
ProsI like how good it transcribes! Of course, the audio has also to be of high quality. I like how it divides the speakers - well, not perfectly but it definitely saves you time.
ConsWhat can I say, you want quality, you have to pay for it. Maybe you could find for the same price or even cheaper for somebody to do it.
October 8, 2019
201-500 employees
October 21, 2017

“Excellent! Super easy to use and cuts our team's time in half. High recommend. ”

OverallHigher productivity. I save time (more than half) and can get my projects done faster.
ProsOur marketing and communications team uses it for customer interviews and analyst calls. It is incredibly easy to use and just works. Love that we can edit the transcription afterwards too.
ConsOur team loves it. This is more of a request but would like the ability to highlight sections of the transcript.
October 21, 2017
Alfonso H.
Conservationist
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees
August 26, 2019

“Great value for your money”

OverallGreat! I will recommend you!
ProsUser-friendly interface. Affordable. I got the results that I was expecting. Supports audio in many different languages!
ConsLack of data analysis tools, but they are not trying to buy that, is just an extra.
August 26, 2019
Ryan M.
Frontend Engineer
Consumer Services, 51-200 employees
October 20, 2017

“Sonix is a pleasure to use. I am using Sonix for a family history project, and it makes things easy.”

ProsI really like the editing functionality. The audio track and the transcribed text are synced up so that it is really easy to follow along the audio and make in-line edits to the transcribed text. The design is really clear, making it easy to being using quickly. In addition to this, it does a very good job of transcribing so you really don't have to make a lot of edits to the transcribed text.
ConsNothing major comes to mind. It would be nice if it had some integration with third parties. I use my Google Drive for a lot of the work I do and I'd like to be able to pass files directly between Google Drive and Sonix.
October 20, 2017
MONICA B.
DIRECTOR
Education Management, 1-10 employees
June 12, 2019

“SONIX IS EXCELLENT”

OverallSonix has saved me hours and hours of transcribing audio from footage and sonix has made it effortless and mostly importantly has delivered a very accurate transcript. Well done and thanks
ProsThe efficiency and accuracy of the software is excellent.
ConsThere was nothing I didn't like about this software.
June 12, 2019
Sam T.
Partner Success Manager NSW/ACT
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
November 7, 2017

“Impressive, Accurate, Automated transcription services”

Overallautomation
ProsQuick and easy to upload a file (including uploading time), super easy to edit transcription. Cheap as chips, blazing speed and robot transcribing audio
ConsUser interface: perhaps make full use of the monitor screen, found a fair amount of white (wasted) space.
November 7, 2017
Jeannine C.
Front office Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
July 22, 2019

“Ease of use”

OverallLoved this software. Easy to use and if I had any questions was able to get them answered quickly
ProsLoved how easy this was to use. Simple Download and you are off and running
ConsNothing It was easy to use and understand
July 22, 2019
Wendy M.
Public Relations and Communications, Self-employed

“Excellent customer service”

OverallI tried a few different transcription companies but found Sonix the easiest to use and the additional features available are great. What really stands out is CSR and her customer service. In today's world, it is difficult to find a company who is truly interested in their customers like Sonix is.
ProsI like how easy it is to upload, edit and export. I find new features to use every time I edit a transcript
ConsWish the transcription was a bit closer to the audio, however, do understand it depends on the quality of the audio.
Banking, Unspecified
October 26, 2017

“Great new product. Quick and accurate.”

OverallBeing able to quickly transcribe audio and have it be searchable is the biggest benefit.
ProsBeing able to turn the audio into text to make it searchable is really useful. The product is quick and accurate.
Barry D.
Direcdtor
Education Management, Self-employed
September 10, 2019

“Does what it says - accurately”

ProsAbility to add subtitles to video's Ability to edit the transcriptions
ConsNothing. It was easy to use and worked well.
September 10, 2019
Management Consulting, Self-employed
August 16, 2019

“Great Transcription Tool”

ProsExtremely easy to use. Pop the file in and get a structured Word doc out. I would say that the algorithm is about 95% correct. No chatbots or sophisticated FAQ but support is great (within 5 hours) Supports different languages. The French is at par as the English
ConsNot much not to like. Pricing plans are clear and simple. There is no free version (apart from 1 hour free transcription) but the pay as you go option is fine
August 16, 2019
Lisa K.
sales Manager
Broadcast Media, 1001-5000 employees
September 5, 2019

“Just what I needed”

Prosit transcribed the audio with 85% accuracy!
Consnothing -it performed exactly how i needed it to.
September 5, 2019
Claudia M.
Professor
Education Management, 51-200 employees
August 13, 2019

“A fantastic service! Must try it....”

OverallI am very pleased Sonix is now offering a pay-as-you-go option.
ProsI loved the ease in receiving a near-perfect transcription.
ConsThe monthly cost when I did not use it. However this has now changed and there is a new option plan.