Metricly Ratings

Overall

About Metricly

Automated cloud monitoring & cloud cost analysis built on a machine learning platform that spots and reports anomalies in data. Catch performance problems early, while saving up to 60% on your AWS bill! Learn more about Metricly

Douglas H.
Dev Ops Manager
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
December 11, 2018

“Metricly has simplified and improved our AWS monitoring”

OverallMetricly has been a part of our environment for 2+ years, and has greatly increased our visibility into our AWS infrastructure with and our peace of mind with the alerting capabilities. They are constantly evolving the product and have been very helpful and responsive to ideas and our use cases.
ProsEase of generating alert policies including checks of multiple metrics, ability to view the same metric across different elements of the same type , custom costing reports for AWS, ability to send external events to Metricly. The dashboard tools are also very useful to create high level views of our infrastructure.
ConsAbility to test policy conditions needs o be added to ensure confidence in the policy. Ability to have multiple conditions to select elements in AWS via custom tags needs to be added so that it is more easily controlled what goes into the inventory. I would also like to see improvements into the Zorka JVM monitoring application that is used , we havent gotten much use out of that yet.
December 11, 2018
Michael M.
Cloud and Traditional Infrastructure Architect
51-200 employees
February 20, 2018

“Metricly provides greater value than industry leading competing products for our AWS Cloud.”

OverallCost control and insight into AWS resource usage with automatic adjusting heuristic alerts.
ProsMetricly provides cost controls leveraging built-in analytics to analyze AWS usage patterns to reduce overall monthly spend. The cost savings is greater than the tool cost, enabling DevOps to justify Metricly use case. Metricly goes much further with value by monitoring individual EC2 instances metrics to further tailor cost-savings by right sizing CPU, and enabling our OPS department at-a-glance understand EC2 resource usage. (Network, CPU, Disk, etc). DevOps management complexity is expanding exponentially, and Metricly helps reduce the complexity by providing automatic resource threshold warning levels using heuristics to set warning levels issuing tickets to our DevOps group. With this feature, metricly becomes a tool with minimal administration while providing full value for monitoring, cost control, and historical SLA at a glance.

By Virtual Instruments on February 22, 2018
Great feedback Michael! Thanks for sharing your experiences using Metricly.
Sean S.
IT Operations Manager
Financial Services, 51-200 employees

“Metricly”

OverallWe were looking for a solution to analyze our environment and optimize our AWS spend. We were able to cut our AWS spend by 40+ %. Their tech support is extremely responsive. The company is constantly improving the offerings and building those products based on customer requests/feedback. The amount of time a request for a feature to beta to full release is amazing.
ProsIt was extremely easy to implement, we were able to start getting actionable data very quickly. It saved a tremendous amount of time in analyzing our usage and providing recommendations for cost and performance optimization.
ConsThere are a lot of filters and metrics to work through to get the specific data your are looking for. (This can be a good thing, but it takes a good understanding of AWS metrics to get what you need)
James W.
Product Operations and IT Manager
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
October 17, 2018

“Great AWS cost saving features and performance monitoring capabilities”

OverallWe've been using Metricly for a couple years now and the overall benefits have been great. Very affordable price, cost saving features, and great depth of metrics when analyzing performance.
ProsI love the weekly AWS potential cost saving notifications. We've been able to reduce our monthly costs by resizing several EC2 instances. The performance monitoring and alerts have helped us with proactive issue resolution before our customers noticed and performance issues. Customer support is always ready and eager to help with any issues or questions. Their follow-up contact is also great.
ConsSometimes the amount of options and filters available can be a bit overwhelming, especially in the reporting area. Since the product is based on weekly performance of metrics, monthly and bi-monthly performance patterns can cause false alerts. No support for older Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 (required for legacy 3rd party software), Oracle Linux 5.

By Virtual Instruments on October 18, 2018
Hey James, thanks for the detailed feedback- we're glad to hear about your positive experience with our support team!
October 17, 2018
Kristofer S.
VP of Engineering
February 27, 2018

“Experience has been great. They put a lot of effort into developing a great and useful product”

ProsI love the flexibility and ease of getting data into their system. They support many software systems with a easy interface to navigate to setup new data sources. They also provide a number of means to push arbitrary data into their system via statsd and custom push endpoints. They make it really easy to instrument and visualize just about anything in your infra.
ConsThe dashboarding and charting system is inflexible for our needs. They also lack a data endpoint to support 3rd party products like Grafana. Being able to combine / mix and match the data with other data sources in a TV / HUD format would make this product great for us.
February 27, 2018
Joseph T.
DevOps Assistant
February 23, 2018

“Great tool for AWS Cost Optimization and performance monitoring”

OverallSave on costs by retiring most of monitoring on our existing tools.
ProsIt's in the name, Metricly; plethora of metrics available with lots of customization for different dashboards and alerts. It is able to pick up and alert on historical data which is nice, since alerting on set thresholds isn't always helpful. Although we don't use the cost analysis tools often, I can see it pay for the cost of Metricly itself for other customers. Excellent customer support, and always willing to understand our use cases and add new features to better suit them.
ConsJava monitoring is not a refined as other tools in the market, API calls need to be defined manually first. We have not retired one of our existing tools because of this as it provides better Java monitoring. However, this is the only value our existing tool provides, so it will be great to see when Metricly refine this feature so we can retire it.

By Virtual Instruments on February 27, 2018
Hi Joseph, great to hear your positive feedback! We'll be sure to pass your comments about Java monitoring along to our engineering team.
February 23, 2018
Kevin V.
Software Architect
Internet, 11-50 employees
April 10, 2018

“Great solution for keeping tabs on your server environment”

ProsMetricly is very flexible and allows you to create dashboards and customize to your needs. The alerting system is robust and integrates with a variety of third party on call solutions to page you when something goes wrong. The pricing is very competitive against other solutions in this space as well.
ConsSome of the site navigation could be improved a bit, and some pages could use a bit more information on the page in terms of describing what the various options do.
April 10, 2018
Kris K.
Lead QA/Automation Engineer
March 19, 2018

“We have been happy with Metricly for several years, and they have grown nicely in capability.”

ProsThey value openness in support, and in product decisions. We have seen regular updates to the system, and guided previews of new major features being added. Their recent releases with AWS cost reports are interesting. They are advancing them reasonably, and with good feedback from customers to guide their usefulness. The configurable policies/alerts, with tying them to baseline for the time of day & element, is wonderful for getting meaningful alerts. This is their big win and fundamental differentiator. Much easier than trying to accomplish this otherwise.
ConsSome growing pains from increased traffic, seen with occasional warnings bringing up dashboards (normally resolved quickly). Not always clear the degree of the delay from AWS (Metricly does show them as soon as AWS makes them available).
March 19, 2018
Michael S.
IT Operations Manager
February 20, 2018

“Metricly replaced a similar tool we were using previously, and has vastly exceeded our expectations.”

ProsThe unbelievable amount of metrics that the software is able to monitor, both broad and minuscule. I barely ever find myself needing something that Metricly doesn't already offer, and in the rare instances that I do find something not currently in the tool, the folks over at Metricly are very open and willing to make my needs and wants come to fruition. I have yet to be disappointed by either the software or the staff. Not only that, if what I'm looking for is already In the tool but I can't find it, someone on their staff is readily available and willing to walk me through it personally.
ConsIf I was forced to pick one thing, it would be that with such a vast amount of metrics at my disposal, it can sometimes be a bit hard to find exactly what I need. Even with the luxury of someone being available to help me find what I need, some improved and easier to read documentation would be welcomed.

By Virtual Instruments on February 22, 2018
Hi Michael, thanks for your review! We're thrilled you're able to get so much value out of the platform, and that your interaction with our staff has been positive. Our team is continuing to work on new ways to simplify and surface metrics, your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Financial Services, 1001-5000 employees
March 26, 2019

“Metricly”

OverallGreat partners - the Metricly team spends considerable time with us to ensure we are successful using the product. Their support is excellent and really sets the product and company apart.
ProsGreat tool for understanding where and why your AWS spend is what it is. Metricly makes it super easy to the target both the easy stuff like unattached EBS volumes and the harder items like understanding what your reserved instance capacity should be. We quickly found places where we had been spinning down instances where we had full reserved capacity and where we were not spinning down instance types where we were short reserved capacity. We have been very happy with the velocity of Metricly's addition of new features and really like that they expose new tools and features early via their beta process. I can't imagine going back to managing our AWS account without Metricly.
ConsIt's pretty easy to start "digging" into reports and losing track of how you got there or how to do it again. With practice this happens less and less but it can be confusing at times as many pages have the same look and feel.
March 26, 2019
John S.
Data Center Operations Admin
Automotive, 501-1000 employees
March 4, 2019

“ Metricly Review”

OverallMetricly has been very helpful in developing charts, alerts and graphs that I have been requesting tot show the differences between costs one month over another month. The customer support has been excellent, useful and beneficial. They have really worked with me closely to meet any goals that I have. Looking forward to continue to work with them.
Pros I like how it breaks down metrics at different time lengths. I also like the visual representation of the metrics shown. I like the customer service we receive.
ConsHow slow it can be. How confusing the usage can be. Its pretty simple for the most part but the ease of use can definitely be made better.
March 4, 2019
Andy H.
Senior Application Developer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees
December 6, 2018

“Step above Cloudwatch and much easier to use”

OverallOur experince has been great. They always check back and show us their new features and how we can lower our overall AWS costs.
Pros* Dashboard with visualizations is very easy to create and customize. You get all the metrics you can ever want to keep track of all minute details of your AWS inventory. * The costing reports are awesome. That functionality alone pays for metricly. * They are always adding new reports and connectors. * Their support team is very knowlegable and quick to respond.
Cons* Adding extra connectors (ngnix, apache, etc) can be a little bit daunting when you have large amount of instances.
December 6, 2018
Adam W.
Senior Cloud Engineer
June 25, 2018

“Great Product, a Better Team, and the Best Support.”

OverallBroad AND specific visibility into spend and resource usage, plus the ability to cross reference practically any metric at scale.
ProsFlexibility and Support. Almost anything you can imagine stats wise can be done with Metricly and their support is amazing, I meant it. The support is so good that it makes you feel bad inside for not using the product more. The weekly reports are also amazing, they easily show me where I am spending too much money on resources and where I need to spend more to prevent issues.
ConsEase of use, BUT that is more of a me problem than a Metricly problem. I wish there were more pre-configured dashboards, but I know that if I asked support for a dashboard, they would guide me or just make one for me, no questions asked.
June 25, 2018
Michael R.
Director of IT
July 9, 2018

“I started using Metricly 6 months ago as I was looking to monitor my critical AWS infrastructure.”

ProsThe software is fantastic - it is the only one of its kind I have found that can examine your infrastructure and automatically create the necessary monitors and alerts. The customer support has been tremendous from the initial kick off call to addressing any questions immediately and following up after the fact. I've found the service is always adapting to support the latest AWS services. I love it and it is invaluable for our production websites.
ConsIt's hard to think of any. Our environment is small at the moment but I could see if it grew a bit the pricing could become a con. Would be nice to see a friendlier cost option for large environments.
July 9, 2018
Lawrence T.
Systems Administrator
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
November 28, 2018

“Metrics for the Evolving Cloud Platform”

OverallMetricly provides the data we need and more combined with the alerting to keep as much eyes on glass as necessary.
ProsOther than the great support and relationship, having metrics that truly dig into what is being use in AWS in a readable format. With Metricly, we've been able to downsize over-provisioned EC2 instances, track more cost and find better solutions to managing our environment. It is also great to have visual/graphically data to display to executives and end-users.
Consnothing at the moment. Because this company welcomes feedback, our own results and feature request, this company is taking steps to make better experience for their customers.
Jon B.
Director Of Engineering
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
December 31, 2018

“AWS Cost View and Control”

OverallWe have had an excellent experience. Metricly is open to customer input and frequently shares their new features with us so we can continue to say one step ahead of our AWS bill.
ProsBuilt-in analytics allow us to analyze our AWS spend, develop a plan to improve it, and monitor our progress week to week. We have realized a significate (33%) cost reduction over a two-month period. The system is accurate, responsive, and easy to use. The service and support I have received from Metricly is best in class and I feel like a valued customer. This is on the level of support I get from the USA which is saying a lot!
ConsThe pricing model needs some work and needs to incorporate total system capability into each nodes cost. Not all nodes are created equally, but Metricly chares the same for a micro compared to a 4XL system.
December 31, 2018
Robert B.
DevOps Engineer
Retail, 51-200 employees
March 10, 2018

“Great feature-full service with responsive customer service.”

OverallWe monitor our production systems with this server, getting insights into performance problems and abnormal behavior.
ProsThe thing I love most about Metricly is the support and concern for me as a customer. They have great features and almost everything I want to do is possible. They are always making the system better and listening to their customers on what they want/need.
ConsWe are moving from a server-based infrastructure model to a container based infrastructure model on AWS Fargate. This isn't quite plug-and-play on Metricly yet (the agent is designed to be run on the container host but there isn't one with Fargate). That said, Metricly is super responsive and interested in helping us get the benefits and pricing structure we need to make this happen.
March 10, 2018
Pradeep M.
Sr. Systems Administrator
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
May 13, 2019

“Great SaaS product in its class”

OverallOverall it's a great product for your infrastructure/application monitoring needs.
ProsWide range of integrations for better monitoring and alerting. Dashboard views to directly pin point any issue Great customer support and quick turn around / resolution time In-depth follow up sessions to better understand your feedback or new features
ConsRecently released new version of user interface has addressed some of the 'Cons' Would be nice to have some screens where you can easily view/filter email subscription to different reports/alerts
May 13, 2019
Victor B.
Software Architect
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
June 29, 2018

“Great product to monitor our environments.”

Overall- Good monitoring of our environments - Early detection of problems - Optimising costs in AWS
ProsThe built-in policies and ease of integration. Metricly helps us a lot understanding the source of problems in our environments. The great support makes everything even easier.
ConsThe website navigation was a bit counter-intuitive at first, but you get accustomed to it quite quickly.
June 29, 2018
Michael D.
Sr. DevOps Engineer
Computer & Network Security, 501-1000 employees
February 14, 2019

“Monitoring cloud resources with ease”

OverallThe support team is incredible! I get a quick response and more importantly they take the time to understand my problem and come up with a best solution, rather than just simply answer my questions.
ProsQuick to set-up and start monitoring key indicators for cloud environments. Great way to customize dashboards that give me exactly what I need to see.
ConsAPI made it easy to automate many tasks, and the Metricly CLI has a majority of the key features but could expand its feature set.
February 14, 2019
Michael M.
Director IT
Consumer Electronics, 51-200 employees
August 7, 2018

“Easy to use ”

OverallMetrically is one of those companies that takes being a partner seriously. They work hard to make sure we are getting as much value out of their platform as possible.
ProsMetrically was easy to set up and provides great reports with very little customization needed. The UX of Metrically is better than most of it's competators.
ConsIt only does Monitoring. Would be great if it started to do logging and AMP or integrated with tools so when an issue occurs you can see the whole picture from logs to metrics.
August 7, 2018
Davesh M.
DevOps Intern
August 17, 2018

“Very user-friendly, modern experience for monitoring AWS Infrastructure ”

ProsRelevant Data, metrics composed for relevant metrics for real-time environment monitoring Alerts & Policies are well integrated AI and Machine Learning which develop graphs based on monitoring your environment which will notice any irregularities based on your specific use model Other AI features such as detecting a sudden change based on prior metric models Cost monitoring
ConsCost monitoring cannot be attached to an alert
August 17, 2018