MechanicDesk Ratings

Overall
4.4/5
4.7/5

About MechanicDesk

Automotive/mechanical workshop management software that is very powerful and comprehensive, yet easy to use Learn more about MechanicDesk

Callum M.
November 14, 2018

“MechanicDesk for a car stereo shop”

OverallOverall MD allows us to capture more data about the work we're doing, quote more consistently, and work as a team more efficiently, with minimal effort. I'm really impressed with its comprehensive nature and very fast support responses.
ProsClearly written with in-depth knowledge of the automotive servicing industry, tailored to the typical workflow of a small workshop. Comprehensive management of all book keeping aspects.
ConsMainly just refinement bugbears that you get with other platforms, but not mechanicdesk. For example, Xero will allow you to input a date in any format, and it will format it correctly ie 15 nov, november 15, 15/11/18 will all format automatically to 15/11/2018, but in MD you have to put it in exactly. Same with times - the drop-down menus are clunky. There should be an option to automatically finalise invoices on payment. We've never really understood the functional difference between a job and a booking and the need for both. Some "simple" actions like merging entries in the 'referral' field have to be done manually by contacting support. We'd also appreciate more CRM management, the ability to have automatic follow-up reminders for quotes which haven't yet been invoiced or booked, for example. As an idea rather than a problem, it'd be fantastic to arbitrarily tick if parts have arrived for a job or not, as we order in advance before the vehicle arrives. A check-box on the job page would suffice, with a 'tick' showing on the job entry on the calendar if we've marked it as the parts being here and ready to go.
November 14, 2018
Darren M.
Principal
July 8, 2018

“Finally software that works”

OverallEase of use, reliability, cost effective, written by someone who actually has some idea of what it is like to run a mechanical workshop.
ProsEverything. Fast, stable and works well. We have struggled along with Workshop Software for a couple of years and after yet another outage decided it was time to change. Best decision ever. Mechanic Desk are open to suggestions and are actually interested in providing a good product that works rather than telling you what cant be done. Also if you want to extract your data at any time, this can be done with a mouse click. Others blackmail you for your data. Overall the best package out there for Mechanical workshops.
ConsSome other cloud based mechanic specific packages look much prettier than Mechanic Desk however I would rather something that works than something that looks good. Overall very happy with the product.
July 8, 2018
Tanya C.

“Fantastic Software Program”

OverallOnly just realised how much it integrates with I have been using for ages now and only discovered this feature while searching the help videos. You guys are so helpful and it does everything we need it to do
ProsThis Program is so easy to use and is perfect for our busy mechanical workshop. Even my husband can use it and he is not at all tech savvy. Best of all the technical support is fast and helpful. They get back to you straight away and are lovely to deal with. It integrates with Xero well and keeps track of servicing etc. I also love that it integrates with Repco. These guys have thought of everything. Highly recommend!!!
ConsNothing I don't like about the software program
Jen G.
Admin
November 26, 2018

“Great System”

ProsI like that you can track whats going on, such as efficiency, stock take, reports etc. Relatively simple to use once you get the hang of it.
ConsTheres a few bugs, the app needs quite abit of work because of crashing and not saving notes. You have to be careful with reporting - If you don't transfer the labour across from the job it will say in the reports that nothing has been charged despite adding labour onto the invoice manually. The invoice options should be reviewed in my opinion. With our last workshop system the invoices were very professional and easy on the eye. the options we have on mechanic desk isnt as good and even with the margins changed often have to print to pages because everything doesn't fit.

By Autodeck on November 29, 2018
Hi Jen, The app is being rewritten so hopefully we'll iron out all these small issue. There is another setting which will cater for the scenarios where you already have labour on the invoice so please contact our support team, we'll sort that out for you. With the invoice system, this is totally customisable (and there are 9 standard templates to chose from) so please contact our support and we'll work you through selecting the template as well as the customisation process if needed.
November 26, 2018
Aleisha K.
Owner/Manager
September 28, 2018

“WE LOVE MECHANICS DESK!”

OverallExceptional service and quality product. It is ever evolving and constantly improving.
ProsWe love the customer service from Mechanics Desk! Their product is awesome and very user friendly. We use it as a CRM and to manage our caravan repair yard and inventory. We recommend it to anyone in the industry! We also love how we can access it from anywhere on any device!
ConsIt can be a bit slow, but this could be our equipment/internet connection.
September 28, 2018
Alex G.

“Awesome software”

OverallReally great software, great team and super helpful.
ProsVery intuitive and easy to use. Staff are easy to train with little down time.
ConsI miss having a link between adding and bill and the invoice. Would be good to have a drop down to link the charge with an invoice to make sure it doesn't get missed.

By Autodeck on September 24, 2018
Hi Alex, This should be available and can be done in a couple of ways both from the invoice side or the bill side. please contact our support and we'll show how to do it.
Suzi M.
Owner/Operator
September 20, 2018

“My 3.5 Years with MechanicDesk”

ProsI love the fact that as we have grown the guys at MechanicDesk have been there with us all the way. I email them a question or a suggestion and bam the response and solution is immediate. We operate Xero and this is the perfect add-on. I would recommend them to anyone in the automotive trade.
ConsNothing comes to mind. We're pretty happy with the complete program
Morgan M.
Admin and Accounts

“Easy to use ”

OverallOverall, the pros outway the cons when using this system.
ProsMechanicDesk is easy to use and is relatively straight forward and simple. This is helpful when business is busy as it is a quicker system than others that are out there. It is also useful that Xero links with is also - altough this does sometimes have the tendency to crash.
ConsAlmost everyday the system comes up with the message that it has lost connection - at first we thought this may be due to the internet but it seems to be working with everything else so it must be a mechanicdesk issue. This means that sometimes the payments or other things we are doing at the time do not link up to Xero properly and we have to go through and redo these things.
Brett W.
Consultant
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
April 6, 2019

“Great Support and experience.”

OverallThey are on top of any support request quick smart and being a smaller company they actually care. It's not some call centre who just wants you off the phone.
ProsWe have used it for over 2 years and haven't looked back.
ConsCompared to our old software calle Marlin GTX which promised updates and loads of things but didn't deliver. MD is awesome.
April 6, 2019
JON M.
Business Supplies and Equipment, 1-10 employees
September 20, 2018

“10 MINUTE OIL CHANGE VICTORIA PARK”

Overallgood. Customer support is excellent.
ProsComprehensive software program that allows us to operate an efficient workshop
Consminial customisation features would like to see more customisation

By Autodeck on September 24, 2018
Hi John, Could you please send a list of customisation you want to our support. We'll see if we can do any of those for you.
KAREN J.
September 20, 2018

“Gladstone City Brake & Clutch”

OverallMechanic Desk offers a solution for all aspects of a mechanical repair business. From stock control to invoicing & payments & booking facilities it has a an answer to it all. I just wish it could produce the financial reports I need as well & I wouldn't need another software package. Having said that, the integration with Xero is amazing. Almost like magic!
ProsI found the Mechanic Desk software so easy to use right from the beginning. I had never used software specifically targeted at the mechanical repairs market so I was pleased at how easy it was to set up & use.
ConsI am still looking for something negative.
July 26, 2019

“Make life easy”

ProsBeen using this software since the beginning, and it have everything we needed as a start up. Allow us to manage the inventory, job card and generate invoice easily! Its very easy to use it, hence save us a lot of time to train the new staff to use it. they have great customer service too, feel really secure using this software because there are always a team to back you up whenever there is issue.
Consit will be better if users are allow to do more customization. so far so good!
July 26, 2019
Sharmila V.
Office manager
January 24, 2019

“Mechanic Desk - Make your life easy”

Overalleasy to manage operation,customer centric function
ProsBest Software Reliable Great Integration Customized job card
ConsCustomized Field bulk info upload function Need to work with integration with other software
January 24, 2019
Kristen V.
Accounts

“Mechanic Desk ”

OverallMechanic desk makes everything easy. It all flows and it does the communicating with clients for us. It makes things simple and quick which is a huge help for us as do not have time to sit and sent reminder, follow ups etc.
ProsI love the support that you receive - That sold me before I even signed up to the software. I am still watching tutorials on youtube at the moment but so far this software has been fantastic for us. There are a couple of things that we will get in touch with regards to tweaking things to suit our business a little more but so far it has been great and very easy to navigate!
ConsThe only thing that I am having a little bit of trouble with is the mobile app. I also would love Repco integration to be able to integrate my invoices from Repco as well so that it all flows across Mechanic Desk & Xero and I do not have to enter them manually. Other than that, I do not see any cons at this stage!
lianne a.

“Fabulous Software”

OverallThis has made running our business so much easier, totally recommend.
ProsThis software does everything we need it to to run our garage, Parts stock, Job cards, Simple Invoicing, Mechanics timesheets the lot. It is so easy to navigate and links to our Xero accounts software aswell. The team are so quick with their responses and always help, they have even added things I needed on my job cards. Couldn't recommend it enough.
ConsI cannot fault the software or help team.
John s.
September 20, 2018

“Easiest software to use”

OverallI have had businesses for the last 25 years and used many different types of software and have found this to be the easiest
ProsI have a mobile business. The fact I can use it on the road and from my phone makes it very easy to use
ConsThe software itself is great orzo it would be nice to have more of an operation manual for it
Chris H.

“My review”

OverallGood, nice package.
ProsEasy to navigate, good menu structure. Easy to enter data for clients/vehicles. Invoice building is easy.
ConsBetter reporting options would be nice. Inability to filter and print debtors bills by date range (unless I haven't found that yet). Tutorials on how to get the most out of the software, ie. advanced features, etc. Time clocking - being able to see who is clocked onto what job from the jobs screen. Quite often we forget to clock off a job and don't realise until the next day. If a tech was flagged on a job that could be easily seen from the jobs screen would be good.

By Autodeck on September 24, 2018
Hi Chris, You should be able to see and print debtors report with the date range. Please contact our support. In the invoices/bills list next to the search box there is a "More Options" please tick on it to select the data range then use the filter "unpaid" only
John W.
Used the software for: I used a free trial
April 2, 2019

“Excellent software”

OverallGood people, always there to help
ProsJust signed up with MechanicDesk and more than happy with it. I was contacted by other suppliers, all used sales pitches and just wouldn't leave me alone. MechanicDesk didn't upsell me, they didn't do the pushy sales on me. In fact the software they gave me is very informative with easy to understand vids so I can maximise its performance to run my workshop efficiently. I would recommend this software for any Mechanical Business!
Consall good can't fault it, not that i'm trying to fault it, could have rego integration so it can lodge vehicle info.
April 2, 2019
James B.
October 1, 2018

“Modern automotive software”

OverallGreat experience with MD, its helped us go to paperless invoices and put a computer at each mechanics work station helping with productivity.
Proseasy to use and pick up without days of training like others we have used.
Conslinking with MYOB was difficult.
October 1, 2018
alex c.
manager

“great product”

ProsEasy to use, nice & simple. anyone can use this software
ConsSomethimes can be a bit slow, I have to close & reopen again
teresa s.
office manager

“Mechanic Desk Review”

OverallThis program has greatly improved communication between the admin and workshop side of the business, we also have a tyre shop and it all comes together nicely. The mechanics like using the app rather than having to write down everything so that is great. The customer service guys are excellent even when i am probably asking stupid questions.
ProsI like the ease of use and the excellent customer service, I have had quick answers to any questions that i had and quick resolutions to any fixes that needed to be done. I love that it integrates with our accounting software and makes keeping track of money a lot easier
ConsI would like to see the POS improved a bit, an end of day option to balance out till would be great. Also a part payment option would be good, we sometimes have customers that pay part cash and part card so that would be good if it could be added.
Melissa J.

“Review”

OverallOverall it is a good product and meeting our needs however it would also be great if it integrated with Receipt Bank.
ProsThat it connect directly to the Tyro Eftpos machine so no double keying and then integrates with Xero
ConsWhen entering bills you can only choose one expense account. On invoices there are often different items purchased which need to go to difference accounts, so you have to change the accounts in Xero after they are posted in MechanicDesk

By Autodeck on September 25, 2018
Hi Melissa, To post the bill or the invoice to different accounts in Xero, you would configure the stock items purchase and sales account. when the item is used on a bill or invoice. the line will post to the correct account. please contact our support for setting this up. Please have a look at this tutorial video for detailed instruction https://www.youtube.com/embed/np_eOaqfFlE?vq=hd1080&autoplay=1
Todd K.

“Ultimate Performance”

ProsThe connection to bursons and repco software makes pricing and finding the right car and part easier. Also the COGS feature.
ConsIf you're not used to this type of software it is daunting and hard to find all types of things even with the help tutorial.
Connor K.
Accounts Administrator
September 24, 2018

“Mechanic Desk Review”

OverallOverall, our experience has been very positive. Help has always been provided and we are given everything that we need out of MechanicDesk
ProsThe connectivity is fantastic. The ability for all aspects of the software to communicate to other areas is very helpful. Syncing to Xero has allowed our company to easily track our invoicing processes and manage ongoing work. The largest strength, however, is the customer support. Very quick and thorough replies from the support team make it stress free while dealing with issues
ConsUpdating certain aspects of the system in bulk can be a bit challenging. Even though users can export/import data, the process doesn't seem to always be 100% successful
September 24, 2018
Mark V.
Heavy Vehicle Diesel Mechanic
September 20, 2018

“Great idea, but bad operation”

OverallOverall it has been a slow program with many issues that have caused a lot of headaches and stress. However, i believe with regular updates and bug fixes the program can be a well worth investment
ProsThe program is great with all the features it has and the ease of use
ConsThe program however, is very slow, lags in all places we use it, so it is not our internet, and seems to never want to work as well as timing out very quickly after not being used. In our business we can spend half the day on and off the program and the issue is when it logs out we lose our stuff

By Autodeck on October 1, 2018
Hi Mark, One of our support member will be in contact with you for a Team Viewer session to sort out this speed issue.
Brett v.
Business Owner
September 20, 2018

“Fast, efficient and streamlined”

ProsMD has all the functionality needed for a small to medium workshop. We have 4 staff and MD does everything we need it to do with a great monthly subscription rate. The support is excellent, most tickets are answered immediately.
ConsA couple of extra buttons here and there would improve efficiency.
Mike F.

“Transport Maintenance Ltd”

OverallSolved all the issues we had with our previous system that tried to perform accounting solutions as well as the day to day activities...i.e too complex
ProsCloud Based, comprehensive. Good support from team.
ConsRequired training that is available within the system, but would have been good to have a 'hands on' person available
Krystal C.
September 20, 2018

“Comprehensive Mechanic Workshop Software”

OverallI am so happy Mechanic Desk, Ive trailed many other software and I cant find anything that comes close.
ProsI love that is has almost every feature I would wish for and more! I love how quickly the customer support team get back to me. I love how professional the invoices look. I love how you can enter super detailed information or keep it simple if you wish.
ConsHonestly, there isnt one thing I dont like about Mechanic Desk.
Tara R.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
August 8, 2019

“Work dream ”

ProsThis software takes all the hard work out of setting appointments / taking payments and much more
ConsI would prefer if it was cheaper but understand the cost.
August 8, 2019
Joshua K.
Business Owner/mechanic
September 25, 2018

“Mechanic Desk-makes it easy”

OverallMechanic Desk is by far one of the best pieces of software to have in your workshop
ProsThere isn't much I don't like about the software,everything is so user friendly and the invoice templates are great.This software makes running a workshop stress free
ConsUnfortunately there is no vin search (integration) in Australia
September 25, 2018
Paul T.
June 1, 2018

“Easy to use, from booking jobs online on our website to POS, its all easy,Excellent”

OverallOnce software for everything
ProsTotally all in one program, easy to use, I can have customers book online from our website, to Running our service centre and POS system at our retail parts section.
ConsHow all software these days are going to subscription based.If I can't pay for a couple of months, I loose everything.
June 1, 2018
Richard S.
Owner/Manager
September 21, 2018

“My First Revew After one Month”

OverallWork flow-trough the shop,improved customer response to the new look invoicing
ProsLayout,optional templates,SMS,Email,unpaid inv page,progress from start to finish
ConsAn inv can be processed with zeros dollars if forgotten to add an amount or dollar value (ie Highlight Zero amounts)
Scott Thomas S.

“Ok”

Overall10 to avoid bringing data across from Repco Autopedia aside from that works pretty well
ProsVery flexible works quite well with MYOB
ConsMissing a payment portal and flexibility in bringing data across from Repco Autopedia
Chris K.
Customer service manager
September 23, 2018

“Mechanics desks- 4x4 solutions”

Overallhas streamed lined a few processes but still not capable of doing some basic functions
ProsInternet based, user friendly. inventory function is good
Conscertain features are not easily accessible and not practical
September 23, 2018
Stu G.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self-employed

“Good product”

OverallIt has made tracking time and invoicing easy.
ProsIts easy to use to and the app helps track time
ConsCan be slow to react on the app. Putying in parts can be a pain