Google Sheets Ratings

Overall

About Google Sheets

Designed to create, modify, and share spreadsheets in real-time. Pre-made templates, chatting and commenting are available. Learn more about Google Sheets

Murtuza B.
Design Consultant
Design, Self-employed
September 28, 2019

“Friendly & Collaborative Planning Tool”

ProsFriendly, Light & Collaborative. I wasn't a fan of Google Sheet until I found a tool that I need to plan, some basic accounts and want it to be accessible from anywhere. I now love to see multiple people on my team on sheet at the same time working, we're reviewing things on call and changing immediately without a fear of losing any data. The best part is the history that Google Sheet maintains. I remember one day a new guy mistakenly deleted some content from the sheet and I told him to relax and recovered it through histories.
ConsThe management of sheets on web dashboard. I feel like there has to be an option to create multiple groups for sheet or you can say folder. Sometimes I have to scroll a lot if I forgot the name of sheet I used sometime back. However naming sheets based on the project can solve an issue but still I feel there has to be groups to manage sheets.
September 28, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
September 20, 2019

“Portable and multiplayer Excel”

OverallI've been using MS Excel for a *long* time and when Sheets appeared I was skeptical it could be a valid replacement for my needs. Sure, the "cloud-based" thing was very handy, but I didn't think it would carry all the features I was using. Almost 10 years later and countless other data visualisation tools used, especially in the last few years, Sheets still has a valued place in my toolbox.
ProsI've loved the collaborative dimension ever since I used it the first time and even now, when there's lots of software that supports it, I enjoy its minimalism and efficiency. Cloud storage - there's simply no feature that can replace starting a document on your work computer, tweaking it when you think of some changes on your smartphone and then continuing to edit it at home, on a different laptop.
ConsIf you are a hardcore Excel user and you've learned to know and trust all your shortcuts, Sheets will feel like learning to type for the first time. This is why for me it can't 100% replace Excel, just be a better alternative for some projects, depending on the features I need.
September 20, 2019
Tanishq A.
Content Writer and Digital Marketing Executive
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
September 14, 2019

“Take your reporting to the next level with Google Sheets ”

OverallUser friendly with good and exciting features supporting the requirements of today's day and age.
Pros1. Simple and easy to understand with all the necessary tools available right in front of the eyes. 2. Uploading and downloading feature with multiple file format support. 3. Version and editing history with option to suggest edits. 4. Highly controllable in terms of sharing with email notifications.
ConsI did not find any cons of this product.
September 14, 2019
Filipinas Faela C.
Team Leader
Retail, 1-10 employees
September 7, 2019

“Conveniently share spreadsheets to your team with Google Sheets”

OverallRunning a business involves a lot of records in spreadsheet format that needs to be shared with people in the team. Being able to collaborate on spreadsheets real-time is a huge time saver which is what our team love about Google Sheets. And with the History feature, it is very easy to track who made what change and when.
ProsI like that I am able to collaborate with my team in creating and updating spreadsheets for our company's financial records and other data that needs to be recorded
ConsI don't like that I am not able to use the Ctrl+Shift+V feature when I am on incognito mode. I use a lot of browsers when working and always open them in incognito to make them load faster. There are data that I need to enter in a spreadsheet which also involves ensuring that the newly entered data follows the existing formatting of the spreadsheet, and I had to open a new window that is not in incognito to be able to do that.
September 7, 2019
Sean T.
Facilities Services, Self-employed
September 6, 2019

“Google just makes everything so easy!”

OverallI have used Google Sheets in a variety of settings, both while a student in college, and in my professional career. Sheets has made it so easy to collaborate with coworkers across the nation, allowing everyone to input data and see changes real-time. I have used sheets to track monthly numbers across branches in different states, to fill out simplified monthly and yearly profit/loss statements, to look at yearly financial projections, to analyze sets of data, etc. Google Sheets has been an awesome tool!
ProsGoogle sheets is the simple, efficient, shareable version of Microsoft Excel. It is so easy enter data, create lists, and collaborate with colleagues and classmates in real-time. The spreadsheets save to the google cloud automatically and are easily accessible in any location or editable with any device. No need to save the file to your computer or USB stick. On top of all that, the service is free!
ConsWhile Google continues to update the software and add new features, the product only offers a fraction of the capability of Microsoft Excel. Those who grew up using Excel may experience a bit of a learning curve when using Google Sheets, and may be disappointed in the limited features.
September 6, 2019
Amy G.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, Self-employed
August 25, 2019

“Reliable & Time Saving Organization Tool ”

OverallGoogle sheets has saved me a lot of time and encouraged me to organize data and lists in table formats, which is a more accessible and attractive format. The many templates google sheets offers also saves me time so I don't need to build everything from scratch. The fact that google sheets is free is amazing.
ProsI use google sheets to keep track of email lists, budgets, and to list professional opportunities. I'm a PhD student and college instructor. Google sheets is great for making quick tables of info that I can share and allow people to add their info. So, instead of having to input everything myself, google sheets allows for more crowdsourcing and collaboration. It's also a simple looking design that's attractive and easy to read for a wide audience.
ConsGoogle sheets has many buttons and drop down menu options. Despite this, I always have to search for how to perform certain functions beyond the basics. The buttons and menu options are not very clear or helpful. It's very confusing and takes me awhile to learn how to perform basic functions. It's sometimes a hassle to use google sheets for this reason.
August 25, 2019
Jen C.
Freelance Editor and Writer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
August 8, 2019

“Necessary for the Writing Business”

OverallI was hesitant to switch to sheets since I was a long-term Excel user. However, a friend convinced me to make the switch so that I could help her with planning some social media posts for her business. Once I got started, I found that I liked how intuitive everything felt. I decided to use Sheets instead of Excel for plotting my novels after getting some experience with it. I find that it is quicker for me to chart everything I want to write. Also, it is easy to share my documents with other users, which is essential for me and my alpha reader. I will absolutely keep using Google Sheets and highly recommend making the switch if you're struggling with Excel.
ProsGoogle Sheets is easy to use - even easier than Microsoft Excel. In fact, it is the better option since the documents you create can easily be shared and edited by others. As a writer, I like creating plot outlines in Sheets. It makes the plotting process that much more coherent for me. And having it auto-save is fantastic.
ConsThe only thing I noticed with Sheets is that it can sometimes be a bit slow to load. But, once it it is loaded, Sheets scrolls fluidly.
August 8, 2019
Varun B.
Vice President
Retail, 51-200 employees
August 2, 2019

“Excel? Nope. Use Google Sheets to create custom dashboards, and reporting systems”

OverallOverall we have gone from sharing a few sheets and collaborating on projects to creating a full blow mini ERP in the space of 2 years. Once a day reports from our accounting SW are posted in to a dedicated Inputs sheet, and a series of over 30 sheets, inter linked, and divided bby team and role use these sheets on a hourly basis to create meaningful isnights, and formulate strategy. Has been an extremely fulfilling experience, and we keep extending the use cases on a regular basis.
ProsEasy to use Easy to adapt if you are used to Excel Concurrent editing / easy group collaboration Always improving - big plus Easy to create links between multiple sheets Scripts can be used to extend functionality endlessly
ConsGenerally positive about the SW but could see a few key improvements: Scripts should be shareable amongst sheets. scripts.google.com does host my scripts, but we need to add the scripts individually to each sheet. Can be very annoying if we have some custom formula defined acros multiple sheets that need editing. Filter could be improved. Filters based on formatting. Additional built in solutions for duplicates should be added.
August 2, 2019
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
August 1, 2019

“Phenomenal Interface for Efficient and Collaborative Work”

OverallMy overall experience has been absolutely incredible. I work with large thousand-row spreadsheets on a daily basis, and Google Sheets has made collaborative work extremely easy, allowing for the saving of hundreds of hours, as multiple users can work on the same canvas.
ProsThe best feature about this software is how much it facilitates and encourages collaborative work. More specifically,when working on large spreadsheets, there is an ability to create viewing windows or "filter views" which allow all collaborators to enjoy the benefit of controlling which/how much movement and change they see on their spreadsheet when working on a pivot table, while at the same time not interrupting or affecting the other collaborators who are also working on the project. This allows for the perfect degree of individualistic freedom and collaborative ability while working on a large spreadsheet with features such as a pivot table.
ConsWhat I think this software could improve on, is the simple ability for a user to successfully download a compatible version of a Google spreadsheet as a Microsoft Excel file. Often times, as is the case too with Google Docs, users require an attachment to make part of a professional email, a report, or an online upload. For this reason, the file must be turned into an Excel spreadsheet. If this process is not user friendly, as can be the case, users might be tempted to simply use Microsoft Excel from the beginning. This lack of compatability with more complicated features such as pivot tables, column filters, etc. can be the root of such issues with compatability when using the software.
August 1, 2019
Executive Office, Self-employed
July 31, 2019

“Who doesn't love a good Spreadsheet? ”

ProsWhere do you go when you need access to quality tools at no cost? You go to Google, of course! I am a Project Manager and planner who works virtually with a team that is spread across the USA, so being able to work together on one Sheet at the same time (and clearly see the revisions) is precisely what I needed. Spreadsheets are my life! I get excited about inserting formulas, collaborating on projects and sharing spreadsheets and data in real-time. Google Sheets has improved the ability to comment and chat on a Sheet directly from a free Google account. It is simple to use but can also be made as complex as any other spreadsheet creator that I know of. I keep learning more each day!
ConsIf you're an experienced user with Excel, you might find yourself frustrated by some of the features that are not yet available in this free software; however, they are working diligently to roll out new improvements and updates regularly. You probably won't be waiting for long.
July 31, 2019
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
July 2, 2019

“Cloud based, autosaving and access from your pocket ”

OverallGoogle sheets is a great way to streamline work processes (including team to-do lists) without having a license fee. The pre-made templates include budgets, schedules, team rosters and more and that's just the beginning of how powerful this free software can be.
ProsFirst of all, the price point is hard to beat. Ahem, it's free with your google account if you're not in the know. It's easy to access from your google account no matter what device you're using because it's all cloud based, and if you can access Google, you can access Google Sheets. There's also an app for android and Apple that make it easy to pull up sheets in a jiffy. I can pull up a Google Sheet to-do list on my cell phone in the middle of a meeting or I can present a budget from lap top in the conference room. Because the file is cloud based, I can make edits that will appear as others are view the document as well - so everyone is up-to date all the time. Well, unless they print the file... How many times has a document been lost in the endless edit and re-email thread where the most recent edits aren't all on the same doc? Not with Google Sheets. You can even track the changes that were made. Because you set your sharing preferences, you can create view-only, comment only and shared editing documents - and you *still* don't have to pay a licensing fee to give other's access to the file. If you want to track individuals making edits, you can invite them by their email and require they log in. For others, anyone with the link can edit. But it all remains in the same place - cloud updated.
ConsWhile Google Sheet's main competitor has advanced features that aren't yet available, it seems google is continually adding more and more tools. For a basic table however the ease and cost of Google Sheets is a fast winner. Because many people have grown up using Excel in school and beginning of their careers, there is a bit of a learning curve for some users to pick up what is and is not available in this free software, but as long as you're not doing extremely complex formulas you should be able to get everything you need in GSheets.
July 2, 2019
Renee J.
Sales Consultant
Retail, Self-employed
April 5, 2019

“The best program in the Google Office Suite-- Use often and highly recommend”

ProsThis software has performed the best for me of any of the softwares in the Google office suite. I can easily create spreadsheets with similar functions as Excel and the crossover was not difficult as all. I was able to quickly adapt to this platform and use it for bookkeeping and organizing my thoughts for various businesses. I love that I can easily add to it and check it from my iPhone. Some of the ways I use it on my iPhone are for inputting expenses as they happen for my business and for organizing my pantry and grocery lists. It is something I use and check everyday and I love how easy it is! Additionally, I was able to develop a fairly complex spreadsheet (with the help of techy friends) who were able to write macros into it that they would normally use with Excel. Because of the easy link sharing feature, I was able to share this with other people to assist them in the calculations I was doing.
ConsOne of the biggest cons is not enabling people to share the document as a template. It would be nice to give a link and then allow people to have it as a template so they could edit it without having to go to "File" and "save a copy". This does allow me to use google sheets more than I use docs as a Microsoft replacement (see other review), but there are a few features I still find to be difficult. For basic expense and revenue tracking, I enjoy google sheets because I can access it from anywhere and update it from anywhere. But for my family budget, I still prefer Excel, especially with the ease of conditional formatting (which is possible but more complex in sheets). I also still prefer excel for turning data into graphs and charts. Overall however, Sheets is an important program that I use /daily/ and I highly recommend it!
April 5, 2019
David W.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
March 20, 2019

“Simple but full-featured spreadsheet”

OverallI greatly enjoyed the inter-operability of Google Sheets and other Google apps. For instance Google Sheets serves as a back and data source for Google forms. There are also dozens of plug-ins available to enhance the abilities of Google Sheets. On the whole, I find that Google Sheets more than meets my needs at least 95% of the time. And best of all, it's free!
ProsGoogle Sheets does 95% of the tasks that common users of Microsoft Excel expect at 0% of the cost. The web-based spreadsheet application has come along way since its debut. From graphing and charting to complex formulas, Google Sheets offers a very full-featured and pleasant alternative to the Redmond giant's original office application. The interface is simple and more comparable to earlier versions of Excel. While Google Sheets is a web browser based application, it can still be used off-line. The experience is pretty much the same on any platform. Of course Google's Chrome browser seems to have the least issues with Google Sheets. As it is also cloud-based software, it's a snap to share any file with other users via Google Drive. Files can be downloaded to your desktop and used in other spreadsheet programs. Google also supports importing of many spreadsheet file formats.
ConsLike most Google products. The official support is a few webpages. Fortunately, a huge user community contributes several thousands of webpages and YouTube videos. There is no shortage of instructional material. The most complex features found in Excel generally will not be found in Google Sheets. For example, advanced formatting and the most complex statistical analysis packages go beyond Google Sheets abilities. The mobile apps tend to be more limited than the web experience
March 20, 2019
Shayne H.
Director of Sales
Internet, 11-50 employees
February 21, 2019

“An amazing Cloud Based spreadsheet”

OverallI use Google Sheets for various business functions including inventory management, budgetary analysis and various other processes. I may not be able to do as much of the 'heavy lifting' as other spreadsheets out there, but it certainly gets the job done. The best part is, it's free!
Pros1) Accessibility: You can access Google Sheets from any device at any time and continue working on a spreadsheet. This is because Google Sheets is cloud-based and your changes are saved in real-time. 2) Adaptability: If you've used MS Excel in the past, then using Google Sheets will be a piece of cake for you. 3) Document Sharing: Google Sheets makes it possible for you to share your spreadsheet with other people so that they can review your document in real-time. 4) Sharing Security Options: Not only is the spreadsheet sharing option an amazing feature, it also allows you to apply certain restrictions to the people you share your document with. For example, you may want someone to help you compose the document. You can give that person editing rights, as opposed to the 'view only' option where he can only view your spreadsheet without editing it.
Cons1) Internet Connectivity: Since Google Sheets is cloud-based, you're going to have to stay connected to the internet. Although you have the 'edit offline' option, you're going to have to be connected to an internet connection in case you've shared your work with someone and they are referring to it on a regular basis. 2) Confusion: There could be a lot of confusion when two people are working on the spreadsheet at the same time. However, if you're careful enough, then Google Sheets highlights the cell that each user is currently editing with different colours.
February 21, 2019
Michael H.
Site Reliability Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
February 14, 2019

“An Obvious Choice for a Modern Office Tooling”

OverallOverall Google Sheets has been an excellent tool to use when considering it as an accompaniment to Microsoft Office. Even as a stand alone tool this is a fantastic addition to any company willing to fork out for user licensing in the full G-Suite platform. I wouldn't recommend this for traditional companies with staff that struggles with modernization and rapid development. I also don't believe G-Suite is necessary for traditional companies to be effective with traditional platforms. This tool is not absolutely necessary in any company but it is without a doubt an excellent add-on for companies looking to use modern processes to share common tabular-cell data sets more rapidly than you can with traditional platforms.
ProsThis software is baked right into your Google ecosystem and is widely used. It's available via web app or you can download a Google App of it to make offline edits. It's clean, clear, and concise and lacks all of the necessary UI you find in competing tabular cell based software. Edits are made live 95% of the time and it is a highly reliable web application provider so connectivity is the last of the issues you will ever face with this tool. Additionally, it is quite easy to get a Google Sheet to other people through multiple means of modern communication and document linking. This is a very rapidly usable tool built very much for highly efficient modern teams. I have yet to need to utilize support although it's a paid per seat licensing model so I'm sure there is support available if needed.
ConsThis tool is not yet capable as a full on replacement for traditional office tools. Formulae are difficult to work with and in many cases not as effective as many that are built into more traditional office tools. There is not enough current integration to use this as a stand alone desktop application and there aren't currently enough built-in file types that can be opened from the desktop. Traditional management and effective but not-young staff may find adopting to Google's processes difficult. Offices with staff engrained with Microsoft Office knowledge may lose parts of this invaluable knowledge and efficiency if switching entirely to this platform.
February 14, 2019
Russell P.
Consultant and Teacher
Education Management, Self-employed
January 10, 2019

“Shift to Sheets!”

OverallAnalyzing data, creating charts and brilliant graphs, using add-ons to do even more incredible things from the spreadsheet.
ProsSheets is a great option for spreadsheeting, data management, and analysis. Since it's cloud-based, you need not worry about losing it, forgetting to save, etc. - it's always there in the cloud, constantly saving, and available anytime, anywhere, on any device. Next, it's logically arranged and has a user-friendly interface. Being a part of the G Suite platform (Google Apps), it comes free with your Drive/Gmail account, so there's no need to download any software, purchase anything - it's available free of charge. Sheets has the ability to do the almost every analysis you'll need. Lots of advanced functions and calculations are built into the platform. What I've been most impressed with recently is the "Explore" and insert graph features - it's very intuitive. Sheets does a good job of "guessing" the best way to display chart data into the form of a graph. And even if you don't like the bar, pie, line graph it creates, you can easily change it with just a few clicks. In my opinion, Sheets is the easiest spreadsheeting platform that I've used when it comes to graph creations. Beyond that, the add-ons available through the G Suite Marketplace give Sheets "superpowers." Consider exploring Autocrat, FormMule, Flubaroo, and RowCall just to name a few. Each of these add-ons were created by independent developers and allow the spreadsheet to accomplish even more! An awesome feature!
ConsI have few complaints really, but some users have complained that Sheets lacks some of the heavy-lifting capabilities of other spreadsheet platforms. I would disagree, and suggest that you just need to explore a bit more and consider using an add-on. There are also hundreds of YouTube videos and posts that explain how to accomplish goals that you may be struggling to achieve. Another limitation with the software is that the amount of Sheets you can produce or data you can store may be limited by the size of you Google Drive account, which will require a monthly payment. I feel that Google's prices are worth it, though.
January 10, 2019
Mazyar M. H.
Candidate
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
December 22, 2018

“The Only Way to Spreadsheet”

OverallOverall, I couldn't organize my office, my work, maybe my life, without Google Sheets. It is still far and away the best solution to represent the abstract, then make the abstract concrete and specific, then put data into effect. Frankly, I probably over-use Sheets sometimes - as if it were a database instead of just a spreadsheet. But it's so tempting to put every kind of information into Sheets and let the visuals inform you. I could go on, but you get the point. This is "the" Google product in my office.
ProsEasy to use. Super-flexible. Dynamic - move rows and columns by dragging and dropping. No need to cut and paste. None of that "Insert Cut Cells" like with Excel. Of course there is amazing integration with other Google products and third-party apps. Then there is the whole "cloud" aspect, which is life-changing. Once you experience real-time collaboration from anywhere, you really can't go back. Then there are the intelligent graphs it creates from data. Information makes much more sense when represented visually, and Sheets does that instantly and effectively.
ConsDespite its rapid improvement over the past few years, in some ways Google Sheets is still playing catch-up with Microsoft Excel. For instance, Sheets still provides no easy way for the user to drag and drop large numbers of cells. Try it and you get an awkward exercise in counting, guessing, and hoping that an action does not result in a mess. Then there are the byzantine "scripts" you have to type in to automate cells or get a desired result. I'm not a programmer. And the way in which Sheets makes the user guess whether it even has certain features at all. There are hundred "little things" like these that need improvement and could bee seen as "bugs." Or maybe Google just doesn't want to be the office standard. But I don't believe that. So yes, Sheets has a way to go, but it's on the right track.
December 22, 2018
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
December 7, 2018

“Game changer for working together simultaneously ”

OverallLove it.
ProsGoogle sheet was and is a game changer for working together simultaneously. Back in the day, group projects required one person to make his edits and save an excel file, only to email it to another person. and so on. With Google Sheets, everyone can work together simultaneously, see who made what edits, and get projects done significantly faster. If you need multiple people working on things at the same time, google sheet is the way to go. This software is also great for those who do not have Microsoft excel on their computers. It provides a free "excel" for users who do not have it on their personal computers. It pretty much does everything excel can do, such as formulas, calculations, and etc. Google sheets is also perfect for sign ups to organize certain events or potlucks. You simply generate a link to your google sheet and email it out to those in your community so that they can access it with a simple click and sign up. I've used it to get people to sign up for potlucks, for splitting and sharing expenses with friends for traveling, and for getting people to sign up for donations. Google sheets can also be used to send out "save the dates" for mailing addresses. For my wedding, I sent out a google form asking name and address, which automatically transmitted into my google sheets. From there, I pasted it into an excel, mail merged it, and printed mailing labels to all my guests. Super simple.
ConsWhile it is like excel and can do many things that excel can do, it is still at best inferior to the actual excel program if you need to do complex things. For example, I am unsure if you can directly use it to do mail merges, or to formulate more complex graphs, and the like. However, for the heavily majority of average users, Google sheet is a dream come true.
December 7, 2018
Elise S.
Affiliate Marketer
Retail, 11-50 employees
November 14, 2018

“Great Functionality, Great Tool”

OverallAs a whole, Sheets is helpful for various business functions from budgets and inventory, to organization of lists, SKUs, and entire databases of data. Along with the other applications of G Suite, Sheets is a time saver and easy to use. Even for the common person with a regular Gmail account, the use of Sheets to organize financial information, plan events, or prioritize tasks is incredibly helpful.
ProsGoogle Sheets is a fantastic and free software app of G suite. It offers basically the same functionality as Excel Spreadsheets, without the necessity of Microsoft Office. Its design (using the same formula functions and structure as Excel) allows users familiar with Excel to use Sheets with ease. An added benefit is the Google Forums that let users consult other users for support and formula FAQ. Sheets functions can also extend to additional Sheets on the same Google Drive, allowing users to access and analyze data in other departments without duplicating the information on to separate Sheets. The potential ubiquity and cost (free) of Sheets is likely its most advantageous element. From large corporations to small businesses, the features of Sheets can be accessed by anyone with a Gmail account, and is not limited by added costs or extra purchases.
ConsWith the frequent updates and the availability of support from both Google and other users, it's difficult to find notable faults with Google Sheets. The addition of being able to live chat with support in real time would be beneficial for issues that require time-sensitive assistance, but overall, Sheets' support options are well structured and helpful.
November 14, 2018
Abigail P.
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
November 12, 2018

“Powerful web-based application for spreadsheets”

OverallAs I have highlighted the business benefits in pros also. It saves much important time of user and gives effective features with the ease of use. I prefer Google sheets then using Excel on many phases.
ProsGoogle sheets is one of the powerful application that allows me to create, edit and share spreadsheets online. I have been using this app since it was lunched. The most interesting thing I can log in with my Gmail account and it keeps backup of my files. The most interesting feature of Google sheets is when we do work it saves our work automatically, that saves time and makes us tension free about losing data. Secondly I would like to say its templates are really helpful and makes much easy ways of doing work. Templates saves our time which we have to spend on formatting and creating the design. If I talk about the work benefits of this application they are uncountable and fantastic.
ConsAs far as I am concerned with this application it is full of features and gives us easy ways of working on it. I do not think so that there could be any bad thing happening while working. Well It works perfectly by providing us fantasist services. It is a full of featured application that works outstandingly and never lets us face any kind of big issue I do say I have to face sometimes technical errors but they does not go against this application because they work on their product and never lets the user have any kind of problem.
November 12, 2018
Katrina L.
Event Specialist
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
November 2, 2018

“Just like Excel but better!”

OverallGoogle Sheets have helped me out when Microsoft Excel let me down. I had a school account for MS Suites. On one of my assignments, all of my data was lost when my tablet died. After that I found Google sheets ony Chrome book, it worked with or without the internet. I syned all the time after every edit. It works great with my invoices and school assignments. I can insert charts, format cells, find and replace data, save to my SD card or my device, attach to emails and edit Excel files to save on my device. This software I'd very useful.
ProsI like ease of using this software. I am a mystery shopper and most of my assignments require lists that use this format. On any assignment, I may have around 2000 grocery items to locate and update. I find it easy to select cells to enter their UPC codes , ounces, or general data, multiplying or adding formulas are easy. I am thankful I recently had a computer programs refresher course last semester that taught how to edit spreadsheets. You can also sync your progress so you won't lose progress. This is a BIG plus to me! You don't know how many times I was using Microsoft Excel and my tablet died and my information was lost because it didn't sync! I had to return to the location and start back over and write the prices down during and after the tablet died again. Google sheets sync without me having to save anything. It even allows me to work offline, which is fantastic. Every edit/change is automatically updated and saved. I don't have to be connected to the internet and it still sync my sheets. I love Google sheets. I also use it for receipts and inventory for my online Clothing Boutique "Beauty Dior Divas". The color formats are great, I like the choice of change. I used sheets to analyze and graph my sales monthly. I help my mom with her business, I set up here monthly sales and chart her losses and gains to compare to the same month but previous year. I love the ease of sharing your sheets by email. My scheduler can edit the forms, if necessary.
ConsNone, I have no problems with Google sheets.
Medical Devices, 1-10 employees
October 23, 2018

“Share the load of projects effectively”

OverallPositive but often abused. I find myself in constant reminder to my team to have conversations about the direction we want to take in creating a doc/sheet before embarking. Working in today's generation it is often easy to slip into majority type or text for communication and forgetting the importance of verbal conversation. Often it can take longer for both parties to brainstorm, type, review, share, read, digest, type, review, respond, and so on and so forth.
ProsI love being able to work on a project with another teammember simultaneously. This helps increase productivity and cut down on back and forth communications. Its nice to be able to discuss on a project on the phone and look through a sheet together even when video call with screen sharing is not available. I've found google sheets most helpful for tracking data on monthly events and being able to review the year on the whole. Google sheets makes working across Mac/Windows computers much easier. Its nice to not have to worry about being able to see/access a sheet due to the other party not having and updated platform for Excel.
ConsI caution working on google sheets together without having an agreed upon method for data management. Simple rules like 'only numbers OR only letters' in a single cell can be a good starting point. Frustrations can really rise if there is misunderstanding on general sheet management. You may find yourself documenting the same thing just on different sheets within the same sheet if you don't start with some basic rules. Like google docs is similar but not the same as Word, so is google sheets to Excel. There are limitations to the functions in google sheets but it is an excellent starting point. Biggest downside on the whole is being tied to an internet connection to be able to access information.
October 23, 2018
Amber T.
IT Assistant and Project Specialist
Consumer Services, 201-500 employees
October 3, 2018

“Easy to access”

OverallIf I were to compare Excel and Google Sheets to horses, I would say Excel is more of a workhorse, capable of moving mass bits of information while Sheets would be more of your racehorse, best used for quick bits of information that you need to get to your team instantaneously. Both are necessary, just function a little different. If you stay within the bounds, Sheets is fantastic.
ProsIt is so handy to have access to my sheets anytime I need them and have access to the internet. It's great that this is integrated with GSuite and can transfer over to Excel (for the most part) as well. It's extremely handy to be able to give access to a particular sheet to virtually anybody and quite handy to be able to place restrictions on certain shared users to not be able to modify a certain area/cell, etc. It has most of the same functionality that you'd find in Excel, with a few modifications. That factor makes it clean and simple to use for less complicated tasks.
ConsIt's deceiving in that it works so closely to Excel, but it doesn't have near as much of the capability as it's counterpart. You could be creating a rather complicated workbook needing to reference various sheets while utilizing intricate functions and then realize that it won't do what you need it to. This is in part because a lot of the functions are the same/altered. Not a problem because this isn't Excel, but it just takes a bit to get used to the differences and then remember them when you switch between the two quite frequently. It also limits the amount of data you can store on it to whatever is available in your Drive. Again, shouldn't be a problem unless you plan on storing a vast amount of data in one place that could build up rather quickly.
October 3, 2018
Daniel V.
Redactor de fútbol
Executive Office, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 25, 2018

“It's not Excel, it's Google Sheets”

ProsMany know and make use of the Office tool called Excel. However, to make use of it you must pay a significant amount of money to have it at your computer's hands, although today there is the application to be downloaded in the different intelligent electronic equipment. However, Google has found a way to make this tool simpler with "Google Sheets". Wherever you are, at any time, and at any time, this platform gives you the possibility of having it on hand, without having to download absolutely anything, nothing more than to enter the web, and you will have your spreadsheet immediately. The functions that it has, obviously, are very similar to those of Excel. Although it is not innovative, it is more than correct that it has a resemblance to the office, since all users of any generation will feel familiar with the program. But Google Sheets goes further. When doing your accounting, this tool gives you the possibility of having an integrated chat where users who are connected to the spreadsheet can talk ... Simultaneously! In addition, you can leave notes in the cells, such as Excel, but the best thing is that if someone adds information to the annotations or solves them, you will receive a notification to your email. Now, what makes Google Sheets a great difference to Excel is the so-called "ImportXML". This is a function that will allow you to open a Web page and extract any information from it. Therefore, this is a worthwhile tool, above all, it is free. You only have to hav
ConsThe only big drawback of this format is information storage. You could say that this tool is better to use at the moment, and not for large projects. If an error occurs with the system or with the device you use, you may lose your information. Keep in mind that you are not using installed software, but a virtual platform that gives you the possibility of having a spreadsheet. It is probably the only deficiency that has, and although it is not Excel, it can not be compared as something better.
September 25, 2018
Heather F.
Owner Operator Coach
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2018

“Love Google Sheets paired with Google Drive”

OverallThis allows me to increase productivity for the business. I can work from anywhere I have a spare moment. Updating spreadsheets on the go. If I can't make it to the gym, I can update a workout in the spread sheet on my phone which my partner can immediately access at the gym from the iPad and display on monitor for athletes arriving thanks to sheets paired with google drive. We are a small operation and any additional cost, however small, is a big deal. Even if I had the resources, I can not see paying for Excel when Sheets meet and exceed my expectations! Again learning curve is small and intuitively obvious especially if you are a user of Excel
ProsGoogle sheets is free, easy to use and with google drive I can use it across all my tech phone, computer and iPad! It is similar enough to Microsoft Excel that the learning curve is small. One of the best things is how easy it is to use paired with Google Drive. I can up date sheets on my phone, computer or iPad and the change is universal. If I am at the doc office with time to spare. I can write a program on my phone. Then go to gym and access it on my computer to display on big screen or make modifications via my iPad or computer. I can update a sheet and allow my partner to see changes and he can make adjustments to the sheet if necessary. I am an athletic performance coach and personal trainer. I use it write my workouts, keep up with athletes assessments and measurements. Use formulas to calculate stats, BMR, calories, etc. it has become a crucial part of how I run my personal business.
ConsThere are a few nuances that are not intuitively obvious compared to using Excel. I had trouble freezing 2 columns etc the way I would in excel. The minor inconveniences are small compared to the great savings and the flow between google software products that make this software a tool that I would not want to give up!
August 15, 2018
Darla B.
Senior Project and Content Manager
11-50 employees
July 31, 2018

“Gets the job done when you need to share all the spreadsheets”

ProsOur company has offices in various places around the country, and we have client-facing reps in multiple offices, so being able to share client information and notes easily is something that we've been working to perfect. Sure, there are project management software solutions, but finding a place to keep a running list of clients and relevant notes has been a work in progress. Google Sheets finally seems to have become the Gold Standard for us. We have so many spreadsheets, and while it can sometimes feel overwhelming the number of Sheets we have shared in our company, it's working for us. Each team has their own, teams have shared Sheets, we create them for fires we need to put out, and more. The fact that they are living documents allow us to see in real-time where we are with various clients, leave notes for each other, see what's coming up, and more. One of my personal favorite features is that I can tag a coworker into a document if I have a question about something. Similar to Twitter or Facebook, a simple @ and their name alerts them to my comment, so they know they have an action item in a certain Sheet. It's really streamlined some of our processes, and in one case, even eliminated a meeting because we can now simply keep a Sheet updated and everyone just knows to check in regularly.
ConsThere are just a few things that are off compared to Excel, and I'm a Microsoft gal by nature, so there has been a little bit of a learning curve. Other than that, it's simple, straightforward, and gets the job done.
July 31, 2018
VINKAL R.
SELF EMPLOYED
Accounting, Self-employed
July 27, 2018

“FREE SPREADSHEET @ ANYWHERE & EVERYWHERE”

OverallEasiness of access of my spreadsheet data. And very importantly anywhere access of my important data.
Pros- Very easy to use. - No licence fees required to use this spreadsheet - Auto save for person's important data, so no need to remember for saving of data. - All the formulas of mathematics can be used very easily. - Pivot table and pivot chart can be prepared in easy manner. - V lookup and H lookup is possible very easy and convenient manner. - It is cloud based so that person can use her/his data from every corner of world, by just sing in with her/his gmail id - Person can access this spreadsheet from any computer whereas other spreadsheet software required her/his own computer to access data already prepared. - Large number of sheets can be prepared under one parent spreadsheet. - If person is using google drive for any specific folder for her/his computer, then all the excel files automatically gets converted to google sheet when s/he access her/his google drive. - Very easy and simple as offline excel.
Conswell it is very few and difficult to identify but still there are few - Some functions are difficult to use compare to excel - One function of excel which is format printer, till time I am not able find the same in google sheets - For generating raw wise series of serial nos. for example 1...100 , in excel person just need to take cursor on bottom right hand side of cell and s/he can drag with mouse and then press button of fill series. In google sheet this simple process becomes difficult. - As the data remains on cloud privacy of data becomes the main issue, and due to this reason only few people use this kind of software. - Like google drive google sheets also become redundant if there is problem of internet connectivity.
July 27, 2018
Jeff L.
Faculty Librarian: Cataloger of Music and Dance
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
July 25, 2018

“You can mostly forget Microsoft Excel”

OverallThe most important benefits are collaboration, ease of use, and packed features. Google is also excellent at updating features and having a very active forum answering questions that come up.
ProsThis is an excellent replacement for Microsoft Excel (for most users, see notes in my "Cons" list for more info): For almost everything I need, Google Sheets replaces Microsoft Excel and more (meaning that it adds features beyond what Excel can accomplish). Collaboration is key: Real time collaboration is excellent in this software. My current most common use case is doing research with a real time collaborator. Both of us type into the same spreadsheet at the same time as we talk about our research subject and fill out different parts of the spreadsheet. We then leave multiple comments for our research assistant who follows through by replying back to comments, filling in more data, and leaving comments back as questions arise. Ease of use: Maybe this is more the GUI, but I feel Google Sheets is easier to use than Microsoft Excel, although both are very similar. Google keeps the option menus concise, with keeping the most used features easily accessible.
ConsDepending on your size of spreadsheet, Google Sheets may move slowly. This started for me when I reached about 9,000 rows in one tab of one spreadsheet with multiple formulas and conditional formatting settings that are constantly running. For me, this is completely understandable being a web-based spreadsheet, and the ease of collaborating with a research assistant outweighs the spreadsheet slowing down. I am now over 13,000 rows of data and 47 columns (which is well over half of one million data points on a single page), and I still believe the collaborative functions outweigh the spreadsheet slowing down. For most users, not being a copy of Excel is fine and won't go unnoticed. For advanced users do some serious testing before completely switching over to make sure what you need is available. Check the forums (which are very active) for answers to questions too.
July 25, 2018
Melissa A.
IT Manager & Sales Executive
11-50 employees
May 8, 2018

“Customized Business Processes & Collaboration ”

OverallI have eliminated the need for two full time positions as I have virtually automated their data entry functions with interconnected sheets and data import functions.
ProsI use google sheets quite heavily, in fact I would say that Gsuite @/User/Month accounts for half of our software solutions I use for the company. At 1/17th the cost of the other half of our software solutions. Sheets is so much more than a spreadsheet software. The instant collaboration and sharing /security /publishing features turn a static spreadsheet into a vibrant work space, that with some basic understanding of functions like indirect and vlookup can auto populate information across multiple tabs to be filtered and served to different formats as applicable to their usage. When you couple this with the power of Google Forms to gather the data initially, you can create custom work flows that can power your business processes. In turn using google app scripts to link the sheet to Google Fusion Tables offer real time updates to HTML customized data "cards" which may be published with specific security allowances and embedded or reached via a URL. I use a google form to deliver real time production information to our users in a dashboard format. This same data is delivered in spreadsheet format to ensure that all production is delivered to the client. Additionally a separate uses a queried import range function filters that same data so we can make a confirmation call the day before an appointment. To recap: one sheet powers: dashboard, production delivery, and appointment confirmation... across 3 different interfaces.
ConsThere are only a few things that come to mind when considering shortfalls. One major thing for me is the inability for a user that has the ability to edit a column or range (but not the full sheet) to use a filter on that column. I have solved this issue by creating separate sheets and using import range (so native data cannot be harmed) and allowing users that I would like to allow to filter to have editing access to that entire sheet. They can then apply filters to display the data that has been imported. However, they have to frequently update/reapply these filters as they do not update dynamically as the native data is added or changed.
May 8, 2018
Sam N.
February 21, 2018

“Super Easy and Accessible (Also Great for Shared Editing)”

OverallSimplified workflow with keeping track of items we need to order--our entire sales team is able to edit the Sheet at once, which really helps.
ProsIt has most of the features of Excel, but you can more easily use it and collaborate with others. Sounds weird, but my boss has been stuck in the 1970s and was recording all customer orders (10-25 per day) on paper. The problem was, we never knew who had "the book" to record orders. I suggested creating a Google Sheet for this, and he actually went for it! Now all our sales team can easily fill in orders and record what products need to be restocked. It's not exactly the best system, but it's a huge improvement from where we were. I also appreciate the ease of use when it comes to adding JavaScript. I was able to put in a little JS that pops you to the first empty left cell when you open the Sheet so you don't have to scroll and select it. Sounds small, but after a few years of using a sheet, that would be thousands of orders to scroll through. I also was able to use JS to automatically create a backup of our Sheet every evening after we close and deposit it into a folder on my Google Drive. If you have questions about "how to __________ in Google Sheets," Google is your friend. It has provided excellent documentation to solve issues and answer questions about its functionality.
ConsI wish there were an easy way to set the width of columns to be equal. I like a uniform look, just a preference, but you can't do that easily with Google Sheets. The JavaScript I wrote to pop you to the first empty left cell also takes 15-20 seconds to take effect, even though the code is as efficient as it could be, and there are only a few dozen rows in one of our Sheets. Not sure why it takes so long. Oh well, though. That's probably about it. I'm not using it for any complex accounting, so I can't speak to that.
February 21, 2018
Brian F.
Senior Materials Engineer
Consumer Electronics, 11-50 employees
May 9, 2019

“Google Sheets for Data Management and Sharing”

ProsWe utilize Google Sheets for a number of purposes, including collecting and sharing data. I do not utilize sheets for data analysis for the most part, although the chart generation tools are quite easy to use and make good-looking charts. I generally find that the included function library is pretty comprehensive, and generally allows for me to complete whatever task I am trying to do without needing to utilize scripts. I have been able to build out fairly advanced functionality relatively easily, and referencing other sheets is pretty simple and straightforward. I find that unless there are large number of functions in a sheet, updates are pretty quick the vast majority of the time. I find that sheets compares relatively favorably with Excel in most cases, and for most of my required uses the two are relatively interchangeable, with Sheets having the obvious benefit of being stored non-locally and easily shareable.
ConsOrganizing google sheets files can be difficult, and they can be pile up quickly. Effectively integrating scripts into spreadsheets that need to be shared among a large number of people is difficult, which often leads to needing to include unwieldy function if-loops into the sheets. This can slow down operations on a given page (because it has so many functions to evaluate). Conditional formatting can also be a little unwieldy and counterintuitive. Freezes are occasional, but these are not extremely frequent occurrences.
May 9, 2019
Manish S.
Analysis Programmer
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
November 28, 2018

“Best office companion”

OverallGoogle sheets saves effort, time and rework. Its simultaneously real time support is very good feature where all of us work together on the same sheet and we make changes and it reflects instantly. At the end we do not need to merge our work to one sheet and thus it is really benefiting the business indirectly.
Pros1) Application allows simultaneous working feature where we edit and modify simultaneously by 7 member team. It saves a lot of time and rework as all changes are instantly reflected. 2) Provides inter worksheet support where changes made in one sheet will modify all dependent sheets in real time. 3) Allows file to download in various formats. 4) Sharing feature is also good where we can share our sheet to other users while keeping control on the view only or edit rights. 5) Work seamlessly even on low speed internet connection. 6) Storage capacity is quite sufficient, saves almost 28 sheets.
ConsMostly my experience with google sheet is always great but there are few issues we faced. 1) Storage capacity should be increased as it stops creating new sheets after 30 which probably fall short in coming days. 2) It faces some problem when saving data through a VPN connection as in offices we generally have client VPN installed and sometimes even after getting message "All changes made have been saved", sometimes it does not save and also does not throw any error. So we need to cross check it always. 3) Formatting tool feels laggy and need more features like formatting whole worksheet at once.
November 28, 2018
Erica W.
Construction, 1001-5000 employees
November 8, 2018

“Outstanding online Google Sheets.”

OverallOverall experience of using this application is not bad. It is a product that allows us to create, edit and share a high volume of data in such a beautiful organized way. So, I can say that there are much benefits here for every user of Google sheets.
ProsGoogle sheets is the platform where we can do many things in very short time. It has been an advance invention for us. The most important things I like about this application is the way it manages and organizes our data and gives us easy ways of having a perfect command. To create a spreadsheet is very simple and easy with highly developed features. I love the method of editing and formatting it provides. Google sheets is a frequently used application because of its being a useful product. If I talk over the templates they are like a gift and let us do our work in very short time. The best advantage of this application is here that we can use it anywhere and anytime. No limitations occur here. So keep it up for bringing more interesting features and functions.
ConsTo write about the least thing is a bit difficult because Google sheets is on the right directions. If I talk about the improvements I would say it's team is really excellent at developing this application they always keep it on right track and resolve all of the issues immediately that is the sign of the best quality product. Honestly speaking there is nothing bad that I should write here, even in the last I will say it is a powerful application of powerful company.
Amanda N.
Character Artist
Graphic Design, Self-employed
November 8, 2018

“Keeping data sheets in order and at hand has never been easier”

OverallIt has been a great tool for keeping lists, schedules, budgets, and other organization-related documents. I love the fact that everything gets saved and stored in Google Drive, since I don't fear losing the files if anything should happen to copies stored in my computer. This also lets me share files easily with co-workers, which speeds up communication and decision-making.
ProsIt has all the options and functionality of other spreadsheet programs but is completely free to use as long as you have a Google Account. In this same topic, it actually saves your files to your Google Drive, so you can work on them on different computers or smartphones as long as you have internet and can get them from the cloud. It has all the essential functions for basic data calculations and work, as well as all the tools for filtering, organization, and accesibility provided by other spreadsheet programs. It also gives the user templates for varied purposes, such as to-do lists, budgets, schedules, calendars, financial statements, and many more! If you need a fast and stylish template to get your finances or schedules in order, this program is excellent for that. Another advantage is that you can share files with other people through Drive functionalities, which lets them access and modify said spreadsheets easily. It also lets you save the files in formats that can be used in other programs, such as .xlsx, .odf and .pdf, which means people who do not have the app can also access the files through other programs.
ConsThere can be some formatting issues when using the files created in Sheets on other programs, which requires the user to be attentive when saving it as another format. It can also be confusing with the auto-save feature, since it means sometimes the changes you apply will be saved automatically and it can be hard to revert them. This happens especially if you are used to using the "Save as..." option from other programs. However this should only be a problem if one doesn't pay close enough attention.
Marko B.
Product Developer
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
July 10, 2018

“Automating everyday financial calculations and schedules of fellow co-workers...”

OverallBetter productivity for daily tasks. Not having to manually calculate various (and long) inputs in our table.
ProsJust a short story of how I started using Google Sheets... First, it was for my personal needs of tracking my roulette progress. There were some simple formulas (addition, multiply etc.), few conditional formatting styles (when it's red on a wheel, I wanted my cell with i.e. #23 to be filled in red etc.). Then I started making some sheets in my company for tracking progress of post-production of some media material (photos, videos etc.), changing statuses of publishing process of some listings and putting it all in some more advanced statistical data, and all of those required improving my Google Sheet skills. To sum it all up, again for the sake of statistical inquiries, I made another spreadsheet tracking all of our business (revenues for our services, salaries of our employees, daily/monthly/yearly statistics based on various criteria. All of these, made everyday work so much easier. And then... I started optimizing those entire spreadsheets so they load and work faster as there were lots of formulas created in the process... I learned a lot on Google Products Forum as people out there are really willing to help, and now even I started to answer to some of the questions to return for all the help I got. Mobile application is also working really nice.
ConsI couldn't think of any deal-breaking negative side of using this application. Team seems to really be adding new features on a regular basis, and the bugs are being squashed at equally timed manner :-)
July 10, 2018
Shruti S.
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
May 17, 2019

“Google spreadsheets”

OverallI think Google spreadsheets is great. It is a significant improvement over the sequential work people had to do in Excel or using Dropbox etc to store spreadsheets. However, it is still a slightly inferior version of Excel and my hope is that it surpasses what Excel does instead of just trying to play catch up.
Pros1. The ability to share it with other users and it being a live platform, so you do not have to send or rename versions. 2. The filter-view option and the fact that you can have multiple filter views. 3. It allows you to store a reasonable amount of data. 4. The fact that you can comment and assign tasks to people makes it a good sharing platform. 5. The fact that you can hyperlink text and don't have to insert the complete hyperlink as text. 6. Vlookup in a spreadsheet is easy. 7. There are add-ons that make mail merge easy.
Cons1. The fact that the filter-view options doesn't prevent columns or rows being hidden for everyone on the file. 2. That you cannot give people different kinds of access (either a sheet is hidden or it is not). 3. It can only handle so much data and it is definitely not as powerful as Excel. 4. You cannot filter by color (some of these are definitely just in comparison to Excel) 5. Linking data across spreadsheets needs a ridiculous amount of formulas (importrange) and is not very intuitive at all. 6. That Google does not provide its own mail merge feature. 7. It says filter by A-Z/Z-A versus by ascending or descending order.
May 17, 2019
Emilie G.
Event Production Coordinator
Events Services, 1-10 employees
January 16, 2019

“My absolute go-to for basic data entry + organization ”

OverallI use Google Sheets to collect, manage, and organize data across my different work teams. The ability to share information in real time is invaluable, and even allows us to bypass more expensive industry-specific database software because of the systems we are able to create internally.
ProsI use Google Sheets in literally every aspect of my life. Not only has it fully replaced Microsoft Excel for me in terms of work-related spreadsheets + data entry (I work in event management and planning), but I use it to plan all of my personal to-do lists, trips, etc. Features that I haven't been able to find in any other piece of software include: - Ability to collaborate with others and share in real-time (vs. DropBox or OneDrive which are not easy for multiple people to work out of at once) - Lightning fast - Offline work mode - Easy and intuitive to use (as opposed to Excel, which often requires a Google search to accomplish a new task) - Easily view + revert to different version histories - Integrates seamlessly with all of the other Google products I use
ConsFor someone whose job isn't data-analysis heavy, there are no real downsides to Google Sheets. My coworkers and myself use it to collaboratively manage all aspects of our day-to-day without complaint. I can see how it can't replace Excel for those who require more intense analytical / processing abilities (doesn't seem to be the design focus) but I've never run into a personal situation it couldn't handle.
January 16, 2019
Mark S.
Sales
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
August 6, 2018

“An office favorite ”

OverallMultiple members of the team input data into the sheet for their assigned task, as their different deadlines come. This has proven benificial to the entire team as real data is often updated and current. Our benifit has been not having to remote in to a server to add data when away from the office. You simply log into your google account.
ProsThis zero cost platform integrates relatively well to other spreadsheet programs such as the common excel. Perhaps the most important feature is its availability to multiple users anywhere with a web connection. A true benefit over An office storage drive is that you and your team have access to this anywhere from any device. Just like most of the other Google platform programs, it offers availability while you're in the office, on the plane, or anywhere you have internet. It offers the availability for multiple users to collaborate on a single project and access files that everyone might use. Most of the formulas will transfer from spreadsheet to spreadsheet program with little adjustment.
Cons One frustrating feature or lack of feature with Google sheets is it's inability to formulate cells from different programs. You may work on a sheet and store it only to open it in excel on a different device and find that some of the advanced formulas didn't transfer or some of the columns don't match. This has only been a minor issue for our team and most have been simple to correct. It just requires you to double check it periodically.
August 6, 2018
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
April 16, 2019

“Another Effective Offering in the Google Productivity Suite”

ProsGoogle Sheets is a spreadsheet editor offered for free under the Google productivity suite. It shares the same cell row and column layout and has many functions for budgeting, sorting data, data visualization, among others. Just like other offerings in the Google Suite, Sheets allows for online cloud editing, autosaving, and powerful collaboration features. Sheets arguably benefits the most from these cloud functions, since reactive spreadsheets will quickly reflect changes made to a single cell across the entire sheet for all collaborators. Offline usage and usability is also good for Sheets. Along with other productivity apps made by Google, you can configure Chrome for offline editing of . Sheets also offers downloading of .xlsx and .csv files for offline storage and further processing. That means that you can make use of the cloud benefits of Sheets and export for further processing if you own Excel. Lastly, version control on Sheets is easier to use. A user can easily review previous versions of a spreadsheet, especially useful if there was a mistake that resulted in a major change in the current version.
ConsSome of the hotkeys and functions don't mirror Excel exactly, so you may find yourself looking for a function that's not there or a hotkey that works in excel but not Sheets. Google Sheets has a simpler UI compared to a competitor like Excel, but this means that it lacks quick access functions such as quick sum or avg function and more accessible graphing functions. Because of the reactivity of spreadsheets, editing with 2 or more collaborators can become convoluted at points, with values changing on the fly and cells shifting around due to another collaborator's edits.
April 16, 2019
Daniel P.
blogger
Design, Self-employed
March 23, 2019

“Google Sheets - a cloud based Excell”

OverallI use it to keep track of many things - from blog posts to personal expenses. It's simple to use and you find tons of YouTube tutorials to learn more about Sheets.
ProsYou don't have to be a visionary to understand that Google Sheets is the competitor of Microsoft Excell. Google tries to replace Microsoft Office with its own suite. The end user is the beneficiary of this harsh competition. Clearly, Google engineers and developers put a lot of thoughts to design Sheets - a cloud-based software for handling spreadsheets. Google Sheets is the perfect tool to manipulate databases and handle spreadsheets. In spite of its countless features, Google Sheets is free of charge. Unlike Microsoft Excell that isn't free, Google Sheets is golden for startups and solopreneurs on a tight budget. In terms of features, Excell is better and it has more options, but Sheets has its own list of features that satisfy tons of users. Generally speaking, Sheets does 90-95% of what you can do with Excell. Conversely, there are areas where Sheets is better than Excell - for instance, I consider working collaboratively on Sheets more effective than in Excell. Overall, Google Sheets fully deserves its impressive rating.
ConsGoogle Sheets is a cloud-based tool. It doesn't matter too much for the average user. However, the users will be totally annoyed (me included) when the Internet connection is lost. Yeah, you can set up to work offline, but it has some limitations. Anyway, it's an insignificant drawback by comparing against the value you get from Sheets.
March 23, 2019
Laura C.
Coach + Consultant
Consumer Services, Self-employed
December 2, 2018

“Totally necessary software but needs improvement”

OverallI use Google Sheets to track my companies P&L, client list, important documents related to routine processes, financial analyses, etc. I also use it in my personal life to track finances, trip plans with friends with shared expenses, wish lists, etc. Overall, I feel incredibly grateful to have a tool like this. I just wish it would become a little less clunky and more fun to use overtime. I would do a lot more with it as it relates to analyzing my business.
ProsI love how accessible this is and how easily I can put together a spreadsheet. I run my business finances and client tracking through Google Sheets, as well as my personal finances, health tracking and trip planning. It's super easy to collaborate with people on spreadsheets. I use this with clients as well as with friends and family. It's accessible from anywhere with internet -- I use it often on my phone if needed. It has basic Excel functionality which works most of the time for me.
ConsThis is much more limited in functionality than Microsoft Excel. I can't do nearly the same analysis or have the same level of ease with shortcuts and formatting as I did with Excel. I feel totally limited in what I can do to get a more in depth analysis on my business. The mobile version on Apple is not great. It takes time to load and is clunky when I try to fill in cells or change formatting. It works if I'm adding a simple number to a cell. Otherwise I usually get frustrated and wait until I'm back at a computer.
December 2, 2018
Banking, 11-50 employees
September 5, 2019

“Easy to upload Data and Share with Team”

OverallOverall Experience with Google sheet have been great. I have ideally stopped using Micro soft Excel and use only google sheet, as its easy to use with the team.
ProsBest part of Google sheet is multiple people can use it at the same time. All the people who have been shared the sheet can be seen with different colour on top of the sheets. Everyone comes to know who has edited the sheet lastly, nothing is hidden. We can even download the sheet in diffrent format, depending on our need. Very Handy, can be retrieved or edited or downloaded from any PC or laptop and end number of times. Data is always safe.
ConsWhen we download the file in Excel format, the formatting changes. If we have to copy paste from Linkedin if we add on one cell, it gets pasted on both the cells. As we have multiple google sheets, files which we work on in last month or may be last week finding becomes a bit confusing.
September 5, 2019
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
July 23, 2019

“Google sheet helps me a lot in keeping up with my accounts and finances.”

OverallI have switched from MS Excel to Google sheets for its ease of access in different devices with the same google account.
ProsEasy to maintain your data including accounts, finances and other details with google sheets and it can be accessed with different devices and a google account. It is free and very portable. It is also easy to use from the mobile app. Google sheets provides mean to share our sheet with other people (one or more) and it can be collaboratively edited by multiple people at the same time. It also provides different access levels(view only, write) which can be changed from person to person.It also provides some analysis and helps generation graphs with the values/tables. Furthermore, it helps with mathematical functions as with all other spread sheet. Google sheets has revision history , in case if we want to revert back to a previous version of our data, we can go through the history and revert back.
ConsIf we stuck at a place where internet is not available, we won't be able to edit the sheet, as it needs internet connection to be loaded / edited. It might also make things messier, when multiple people attempt to work on the same cell at the same time .
July 23, 2019
Erin P.
Performing Arts, Self-employed
July 8, 2019

“Google Sheets Makes Every Step Easy!”

OverallGreat! I cannot ever imagine a reason we would stop using Google Sheets!
ProsWe use Google Sheets for a huge array of tasks, and it makes every one of them easier. You can access the sheets from any device and any location because they are easily store on your Google Drive, so there is no downloading or updating needed to keep your files synced. Plus, you can easily share sheets with others, and manage permissions easily. I appreciate that you can simply share information (view only), get input but without any changes (comment only), or collaborate on a sheet (allow editing).
ConsThere are few drawbacks for Google Sheets. While it cannot do EVERYTHING that, for example, Microsoft Excel can do, the functions are all very similar and easily to learn and execute, with plenty of features to make whatever project you are working on easy and accessible.
July 8, 2019
Jose G.
CTO
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
February 27, 2019

“No need for MS Excel anymore”

OverallI've been using Google Spreadsheets for over 10 years for both personal and professional use and I love it.
ProsSeriously you can most likely ditch MS Excel for good. Google Sheets is extremely powerful and includes most, if not all functionality that comes with MS Excel by default. One thing that you have to consider, though, is that you need to *re-learn* a lot of things because they're done differently when using Google Sheets. For instance, macros are written using Javascript. They're however much more powerful in my opinion. You can setup macros to run on a schedule and or run automatically based on configurable triggers. Also, you can link data between workbooks, you just need to look up the right function to do so (IMPORTRANGE). It even connects easily to other software, or rather, orther software surely connects to it rather easily. In over 10 years of using it, I have been able to solve any challenge using Google Spreadsheet, and I've learned tons of different ways to solve problems using functions, macros or in-built functionality.
ConsImporting from Excel can be a bit troublesome some times. It usually depends on how "advanced" the original Excel file is. Does it use macros? Does it link to other spreadsheets? Does it have charts? Usually most of these issues can be circumvented, but I just wish it was a bit more straightforward.
February 27, 2019
Publishing, 201-500 employees
July 26, 2018

“Almost as good as Microsoft Excel - Too many 'hidden' features!”

OverallEasier to use in 95% of the use cases (easier than Excel). Integrates with all other G Suite apps. Has pretty powerful data insights that automatically spit out some useful results, as long as you've entered in enough data.
ProsGoogle Sheets is Google's version of Excel. There really isn't much of a learning curve if you are coming from Excel. One complaint I hear most often is that Google Sheets isn't 'as powerful' as Excel (in regards to formulas, functions, etc.) If you know where to look, and if you read the FAQs, you will find that Sheets is very powerful. You need to know where to look. It is very streamlined and uncluttered, which the average user will love. For 95% of the stuff I do in a spreadsheet, I DO NOT need super-advanced functions. (Come on, if you need really advanced stuff, you are already trained for it, or use a full-blown database.) I like how simple and streamlined Sheets is, but it IS powerful, just like Excel!!
ConsUnless you really try hard to seek out answers, it is NOT obvious how some of the higher-level functions work (especially if you're used to Excel). However, to be fair, there is a good "Explore" button, which automatically spits out a whole bunch of information: Averages, comparisons, charts, graphs, etc. It's basically the Google search engine built into a spreadsheet. The problem is, though, when you have a user who has used Microsoft Excel for 20 years, they will be resistant to anything that looks new. They'll probably call it a poor substitute for Excel, and claim it isn't powerful enough. So, your IT department will need to learn Sheets ahead of implementation, and make sure users know how powerful it is (many times, it's as simple as knowing which menu to use, when looking for a particular feature!)
July 26, 2018
Yomi S.
Customer service manager
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
June 24, 2019

“A Super Excel Sheet on the go by Google”

OverallIn as much as the internet is the only thing that might limit Google Sheet, the advantages are much more than this. I recommend Google Sheet to figure lovers, accountants and every other people who keep information and wants it safe anywhere in the world.
ProsThink of a Microsoft Excel sheet that you can use on the go without your laptop or backup system, think of Google Sheets. I like the fact that I can access my stock keeping records anywhere in the globe without carry my laptop or my external backup everywhere. I remember when I was sent on a training in Ghana 5months ago. I wanted to refer to my records on the company store on goods update. I remember I usually save it on Google Sheet even after I used another sheet for it. I was not with my external backup storage so I logged in to my google account and then into Google Sheet and I was able to retrive my information and did some update. The sweet part is that, it updates real-time because when I sent the link to other, they were seeing the updates as it was been done. It really made my calculations and book keeping easy.
ConsThe internet is the back bone of this software/app. If the internet is not available, retrieving information or updating would not be possible as you cannot log in to your google account to get to Google Sheet.
June 24, 2019
Zarrar S.
Senior Tax Manager
Education Management, 201-500 employees
June 4, 2019

“Excellent Software for Creating Spreadsheet Online”

OverallGoogle Sheets is my everyday use. I use at my work and the best feature is that even at my home, I can use spreadsheets and check financial data on my phone via this software. With the Google Sheets URL link, I can edit a sheet simultaneously with other people. I can give access to my colleagues for editing and/or viewing the spreadsheet. I can even see who is online while working on the Google Sheet which gives me access to check up on my team.
ProsGoogle Sheets is an excellent spreadsheet software. Today, spreadsheets are required in every industry. Multiple people need to work on the same spreadsheet and this is where Google Sheets come in handy. Automatic file saving by the software helps in saving a lot of time and cooperation between team members increase. The interface is very easy and being a Google product, it can sync with different Google products like G Drive and G docs. You can even edit the spreadsheet in real time along with your colleagues. The URL Link which you get can be shared with your colleagues only and the author has the exclusive rights to allow any user to edit or view the Google sheet.
ConsGoogle Sheets require an internet connection to use. You can not work on this offline as Google Sheets provides a URL link which is then shared by the co workers. I believe there should be some changes in the template to make the software more "fun" to use like adding a night-mode or offline editing
June 4, 2019
Jesse J.
Lead Web Developer
Retail, 51-200 employees
November 2, 2018

“Google Sheets is the spreadsheet you can carry in your pocket”

OverallOverall Google Sheets is absolutely my go-to spreadsheet software and it really goes above and beyond especially for being free to use for anyone with an account, just outstanding.
ProsGoogle Sheets is perfect for basic spreadsheets but if you dig off the top layer you can find that Google Sheets is actually quite robust. My favorite part about Google Sheets is that I can write my own functions using JavaScript (or pretty close anyway) to do more complex operations in my spreadsheets. Everyone always says "here use my template for XYZ" and all I can reply with is, ok but did you write your own application for the back-end of the spreadsheet? No? Then you're not using Google Sheets to the height of it's abilities. To top it all off, you can easily load up Google Sheets on your mobile, tablet, or desktop devices in a browser of your choosing or native app and take your spreadsheets with you anywhere you go.
ConsSome of the things that are lacking in Google Sheets are the ease of adjusting formatting which can sometimes be a little clunky. Inserting links to locations within the spreadsheet was a little buggy for me the last time I used it with the pop-up window displaying off the page. Otherwise, depending on what your spreadsheet is and the device you're loading it on, Google Sheets can sometimes be slightly laggy on the initial load as well.
Real Estate, Self-employed
September 26, 2018

“Free? Yes. Excel? No.”

OverallI manage the websites for many clients, and keep data I need to run them in Sheets. I know that Sheets offers a macro language, but Google seems to have zero interest in promoting it or offering true educational resources written by a non-coder . I have seen their "help files" and they all seem to assume the user has a degree in computer science. For small projects and spreadsheets that do basic housekeeping, like tabulating totals found on various tabs in a worksheet, it is fine. The lack of a Macro Recorder in 2018 is unfortunate, and surprising given their resources... I
ProsSeems to be secure. I have used sheets for a wide variety of applications and if you don't ask too much of it, Sheets will be a very useful basic spreadsheet and organizer for you.
ConsAny sheet you have that uses 20 or more tabs takes up to 45 seconds for the page to be usable, as it loads all the elements of EVERY tab. Perhaps it could just load the page/tab you ask for and load the rest in the background. This doesn't happen just once, it happens every time you open a different tab in your browser and work in that other tab for a few minutes. When you come back to sheets, it will behave as if you'd never been there. I'm not sure if this is Google or Firefox who's to blame, but right click functionality for CUT/COPY/PASTE is not there when using Firefox. Those who use right clicking in their workflow will be constantly slowed down by the reminder pop-up and then needing to go to the keyboard to CTRL-C etc...
September 26, 2018