Square Payroll Ratings

Overall
4.6/5
4.6/5
4.4/5

About Square Payroll

Payroll has never been easier with Square Payroll. Square handles your federal and state payroll taxes including withholdings, payments, and filings. Small businesses and large companies can easily pay both hourly and salaried employees. Set your sick leave or paid time off policy for each team member, and Square's online payroll services take care of the rest. Switching providers is also simple - tell us your current provider, upload existing reports, and we take care of the rest. Learn more about Square Payroll

Louis C.
Lead Purchase / Sales
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
December 27, 2018

“Square Payroll has proven a valuable solution to organizing and managing many vital aspects of our financial output system to employees.”

OverallWe were pleasantly surprised by Square Payroll's deep feature set and found that this application can contain just about every aspect of payroll function to employees. This application offers access for employees to individual accounts in order import hours worked and to create reports regarding vacation hours or even company benefits to name a just few of many parameters.
ProsWe appreciated the inclusion of so many capabilities inside the Square Payroll application such as salary calculators which generate accurate payroll rates individually or by group. This is one of many features Square Payroll offers through an easy to use front line interface. Our team was also impressed with Square Payroll's ability to integrate with our third party operational management software already in place. Synchronization is proven in most cases quite fluid. As Square Payroll supports mobile use on IOS and Android, access is readily available for employees when remote.
ConsWith such an outstanding and comprehensive application , our team found Square Payroll's customer service difficult to contact and almost as equally difficult to work with during our installation and integration phases. We are happy to report that this level of service improved as we progressed with Square Payroll's application features. There is a rather robust and informed online forum that is available where so many issues can be resolved thus improving client quality control levels.
December 27, 2018
Josie L.
September 19, 2016

“Easy & Intuitive Payroll Software”

OverallSquare's Payroll is insanely easy to use and navigate. I've been using it since Jan 1, 2015 and my only wish is that I started it sooner. I like that I can offer direct deposit to my employees and pick how often to pay them. They love it too because it's so simple, they don't have to worry about payroll. The backend for both me and my employees is also really easy to understand. I highly recommend it.
ProsIt's easy to use and understand. My employees said signing up and filling out their w-2 info was the easiest ever. Nobody had to ask me (or their Mom's!), it's direct and in plain English. It calculates paid sick time for me (as per the new sick leave act in CA). Submitting my quarterly federal tax returns and CA quarterly report of wages is also easy. It's so easy I don't even know how to do it because Square does it automatically for me! Customer service is also great. One time I received a notice from EDD that I filed late, I called Square and they took care of it. My fee was waived, I haven't had an issue since.
ConsI wish the Pay history offered more sorting options like their Sales information. I'd like to be able to see it by year, month, quarter, etc. I know Payroll is still kinda "new" so it wouldn't surprise me if this is offered later.
Recommendations to other buyersDon't hesitate like I did. I wish I used Payroll as soon as it was offered in CA.
Erica S.
December 6, 2017

“Square has taken great care of us. Always there when we have questions. Simple to employees”

Overall1. Self controlled payroll (i.e. I can edit punches, see everything behind everyone's payroll). 2. Much faster/more efficient punches (no longer writing it down, having employees punch in and out on the ipad is so much easier). 3. I can do payroll from anywhere. I once did it on the top of Haleakala in Hawaii. Efficient filing from payroll specialists, and being able to remove employees right away if they are no longer working for us.
Pros1. The option to fix things right on your account. It makes accuracy and ease seamless. It is also very quick. 2. The customer support! Because I'm constantly on the go with my job, being able to send an email and receive an email response to my question makes it easy anytime and anywhere to get help. The responses are always knowledgable, patient, and consistent. 3. Being able to see the stats on our payroll is AMAZING. With previous payroll specialist it seemed like we didn't have the option to really see behind the scenes, but now we are able to see everything and every penny.
ConsThere are times that the software gets glitchy when people punch in and/or out (will say they punched in or out but didn't actually/will say they worked a different amount of hours than they actually worked). Employees can usually tell from the punch screen though if something went wrong. After letting me know, it is always an easy fix, but still a fix to have to take care of.
Donette O.
December 10, 2017

“Square itself has been easy to use and mostly reliable.”

ProsThe software is simple and pretty easy to use. Customer service is pretty strong and helpful with the exception of the payroll department.
ConsThe fact that an apple update, in which we couldn't control if the iPad updated EVEN when we had it set to "do not automatically update," completely messed up our system for a couple weeks was very inconvenient and was a total hinderance on our business. We had to wait for that second apple update to fix the issue but in the mean time we could't print receipts, use the reader, or open the drawer. It seems that Square should have made some kind of correction or glitch fix in the mean time to help their users continue using with ease. Also the system has gone down completely in the past, and even though you all apologize... it still puts our business at risk when we can't complete transactions, harming our customers and our reputation. We should have been compensated for all of the trouble that we faced. For payroll, it is extremely frustrating to not be able to talk to a live person when we have questions or issues. The customer service in the payroll department is not good.
December 10, 2017
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
August 21, 2018

“This is significantly easier/cheaper than big competitors”

OverallI joined in the beta testing and have loved it. It definitely helped us cut our administrative costs for payroll.
ProsI love that I can run payroll in 10 minutes or less and that they file all the necessary paperwork. The cost is based per employee, which works for my business model. They have a new app for folks on the go, too. I've downloaded that, but not used it yet.
ConsEditing timecards isn't too bad, however, you have to wait until the employee is clocked out to make the edit and it can be easy to get busy and forget. But sometimes the system doesn't let me add a timecard from scratch. The employee doesn't drop down in the menu so I have to go add the hours to an existing timecard. This isn't a big deal if you're not carefully monitoring costs, etc. Also, my employees go back and forth between locations, so if they start at location 1 to pick supplies up and clock in there, they're clocked in at that location for the whole shift. I wish there was an option to select which location they're working at.
August 21, 2018
KK K.
Assistant
April 17, 2018

“full function, price-friendly”

OverallSave a lot of time and figure out a lot of things via this one platform. Can check the sales and manage the customer anytime via one device.
ProsThis app offers a series of services, covering lot of services about marketing promotions, employee payroll, sales report and the customer management. I like its convenience of operating the whole store and simplify the management procedures via only set up some services. I can directly contact customer via the loyalty program and quickly gain some feedback for better improvement for the product and service. Additionally, it offers some beautiful design templates for the e-gift card, which save some cost in printing out paper gift card and design fee.
ConsThe customer service is just OK because sometimes it didn't email you back in time. Square mostly will lead you to the community to see how your problem can be fixed. It did waste some time to find a related correct way to fix the problem or get an answer for the question.
April 17, 2018
Marisol G.
Owner/Hairstylist
November 5, 2017

“Over all good, easy to pay employees. ”

OverallEasy to learn and use
ProsEasy to use and customer service is always willing to help but at time since they don't use the products. Some questions are hard for them to answer, giving a text book answer and not fixing the problem. Even though they were ready and willing to help in every way. I have called multiple times and have had great experiences with staff.
ConsEasier way for a receptionist to ring out different employees to lessen any mistakes, when pulling reports. Or..... giving an option to change service provider when pulling reports, if a mistake is made. Sometimes making the report irrelevant having to manually add all service and retail because something was rung up under an another employee. When paying employees commission a mistake can create tension. Ringing out you can not make any mistakes without voiding the transaction. when the only mistake was it was under a wrong employee name.
November 5, 2017
Danielle C.
December 6, 2017

“Simple and easy to use, great value for the cost!”

ProsSquare payroll is very simple to use and gets payroll done quickly. Our employees clock in through our Square POS so when it's time to do payroll, all I have to do is upload their timecards, enter their tips or sick leave and it's done. I've used other payroll systems that are not as simple or user intuitive and I really can't believe how much time I've wasted. I love having all of my sales information and employee information in one place. It makes it easier to compare your sales VS labor and budget accordingly. I would definitely recommend it!
ConsCustomer service could be improved, mainly with wait times and resolution of issues. Usually I have to re-tell my problem to multiple customer service reps before they pass it along to someone else who will then get back to me the next day. Relaying information regarding changes employees make to their profiles, like W-4s could also be improved. It would be nice to have a separate column to enter Sick Leave VS PTO when doing payroll.
Mary S.
Translation and Localization, Self-employed
December 4, 2017

“Phenomenal!”

OverallThe benefits, saves you alot of time, money, and customer support are there when you need them, if you need them, SQUARE dashboard is so friendly user that there is no way you will need customer support.
ProsI am the owner of a small business and just recently hired a Contractor. I was so excited to find out that Square had this feature for Direct Deposit to pay the Contractor not only that but they also take care of the 1099 form as well. I have been using Square to take payments over the phone, through the Virtual Payment and my sales have increase, I love the features about sending an email to request payments and reminders, the Dashboard is so friendly user that I am able to navigate anywhere with no issues, no questions, no doubts. I love the people behind it for making this process way to easy for people like me that hate complications. Thank you, Square. No one competes with you. I love you!
December 4, 2017
Cham W.
Construction, 1-10 employees
May 7, 2019

“Excellent once you get the hang of it ”

ProsSquare Payroll was easy to set up, and adding new employees is a very simple and fast process. Our employees have an online portal where they can edit their direct deposit details/address/withholdings/etc. As the administrator I'm able to import their hours from third party programs as well (currently using T-Sheets) The deadlines to submit payroll are clearly displayed, as well as the window of time when you can cancel or edit a submitted payroll.
ConsFor our company there are multiple pay rates depending on the work (regular hourly pay, drive time, etc.) When importing from T-Sheets I have to manually go through every time entry and specify what pay rate will be applied to each shift for every employee. It's not possible either to change how direct deposits are labeled on the employee's bank statement. Instead of having my company name listed it just shows "SQUARE PAYROLL"
May 7, 2019
Tiffany C.
December 28, 2018

“Payroll or bust!”

OverallSquare Payroll is amazing as they file my quarterly payroll taxes for me. It is very easy to log on to squareup.com and check my analytics for payroll immediately. Very user friendly! Highly recommend.
ProsLet's face it. As a business owner, we need to have payroll. Forget writing hours on paper (and searching for it later)... Square payroll is easy to read, reports your labor cost right there for you, shows employee break times, etc. I couldn't live without it!
ConsQuite honestly, I've used it for two and a half years, and I have nothing to complain about!
December 28, 2018
Cynthia M.
December 21, 2017

“ease to use, all in one, responsive”

ProsMost of my small business POS and payroll tasks can be handled with this one system. There is a lot of flexibility to match the system to my business specific categories, product lines, items and variations.
ConsLack of automating conversion of information from this to quickbooks. Returns/exchanges Library organization limitations - you put what is a priority to you at the top instead of what is a proirity to me. Square Gift cards are too expensive to use.
December 21, 2017
Dena G.
Managing Partner
December 6, 2017

“Good software at a great price”

ProsThe software is very user friendly, which is a major plus of the software. I like that you can add Memos to the paystubs now. This is a nice feature. Also the software's features are of a great value for the services provided.
ConsI do not like that you cannot generate complete timecard spreadsheets which include the date, start and end times for each day for a specified time period. You can download individual timecards for any given day, and you can generate a spreadsheet with the total number of hours worked for a given time period, but you cannot generate a single spreadsheet which includes the date, start and end times for every single date in the time range. I have addressed this with Square support and have asked for this to be something considered in software updates. Employers in CA are required to maintain timecards for their employees so it would be very convenient if Square could add this feature to the software. Having to download each individual day's timecards is rather burdensome. Also, Customer Service has not always been very helpful. Sometimes I just get a cut and paste with the rep which does not address my specific inquiry.
Christopher H.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
September 19, 2016

“Ditch Your Other Payroll Providers ASAP”

OverallI was getting fed up with Wells Fargo payroll for years. Every time I requested a change, such as employee bonuses or salary increases, they would screw up payroll for everybody. I knew that whenever I would ask them for something, things would get screwed up. I was looking for a change, and considered Bank of America. The price was comparable to Wells Fargo. Then I heard that Square was doing payroll. I was instantly intrigued, because I like the credit card payments using the card (see them, but never used the service for our business). Square has a reputation for technological innovation, and the price was very good. I like allowing the employees to manage their own accounts and to get their documentation. Square Payroll rocks! I just wish they had the ability to automatically run salaried payrolls. I don't like to run payroll. All our employees are salaried and get paid the same amount twice each month. However, we do give Xmas bonuses, which is an annual change request that Wells Fargo would screw up most years.
ProsEmployees have real-time access to their payroll reports and manage their own accounts
ConsI have to run payroll for salaried employees every two weeks.
Recommendations to other buyersThe price is right. I researched other providers when I was getting frustrated with Wells Fargo. Since payroll is a critical business process, I was hesitant to jump ship. This service is a no-brainer. If you run payroll, this is a must have service.
Jason M.
COO and Co-Founder
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
January 9, 2018

“Really enjoy Square Payroll!”

ProsI love how employees can set up direct deposit OR have a manual check, along with Square withholding the taxes and telling me exactly how much has to written in the check. Very easy to manage employees, adjust hourly rate, overtime, timecards and off-cycle payments.
ConsWish there was a way to bulk add employee timecards. For example, if an employee works 5 days a week from home (I know of Homebase, but from a manual perspective) and the same hours every day. I currently have to submit 5 timecards, instead of one batch one. Employees ask about seeing a breakdown of their hours inside of a pay period.
January 9, 2018
Johnny L.
December 7, 2017

“Good but it can be better.”

OverallNot having to file some of my own business documents
ProsI like that it is so easy to charge our customers and I also like that we can create invoices, emails, feedback, etc. I also like how your staff sends resources via email to try to help ,e
ConsStaff need to be more knowledgeable and familiar w/ their area of expertise so that they assist us better when we have any issues. Also, when I try to create recurring invoices for clients, it will not accept them but it will accept the transaction through point of sale. Also, my employees are in a union and I feel like having to manually input my employees union fees takes a lot of effort
Serene C.
Professional Residential Cleaning Services
November 1, 2018

“A surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Passed with flying colors Thank you!”

OverallI was recently audited by the NC State of Employment Security and passed with flying colors because we use Square up for our payroll services. I am busy leading my business, which means wearing many hats, and I have always depended on Square up to file the right forms, charge the correct rates, and pay my employees. All I have to do is plug in the time cards each week and click the pay button. The surprise, random audit put your services to the test...Thank you! Sincerely
ProsEase of use for sure, navigation, and customer support
ConsOur team will have the same time cards...would like a feature that duplicates the time and can change the employee would be helpful
November 1, 2018
Tiana Y.
Operations Coordinator
December 6, 2017

“easy to use system that always works the way it's supposed to”

ProsI really like the functionality and user friendliness. It has everything we need and I was really excited to find out that we can now do pre-tax deductions. It's the total package.
ConsI really wish it integrated better with QuickBooks Online, but I mostly blame QBO for that. It would be nice not to have to enter a manual journal entry every pay run, but it's not so cumbersome that it makes it not worth it.
Cassandra L.
December 6, 2017

“This is my first payroll experience, so I don't have anything to compare it to. ”

OverallI enjoy the convenience of having payroll streamlined with my point of sale system.
ProsI've been very happy with the ease of contacting a real person to answer questions, of which I've had many. I appreciate how simple and streamlined the process is, and that I don't have to file any of my own paperwork.
ConsWhen I signed up, it was at the beginning of Q2, and I had to run offcycle payments for Q1. Instead of filing Q1 late on it's own, Square combined it with Q2 and filed it all together. This was an inconvenience to sort out, and caused lots of confusion. I am still waiting to find out if I have to pay an IRS penalty because of this issue. Also, when I was signing up and adding employees, the software glitched and created multiple accounts for several of my employees. There is no way to completely remove these erroneous accounts from my employees list, so at times it has been difficult to sort through to figure out which is the "real" account for each employee. I'm currently trying to figure out how to find out the YTD payments for one of my employees, and I'm having a hard time finding this information.
Iris G.

“Good”

ProsFriendly to use. Easy to maintain. Allows many options, Like it in white, looks clean ( saw the new stand in black, didn't like it)
ConsThe stand is not practical for busy business. We purchased two years ago and has the problem with connection all the time. Poor design. Also, the new version is very expensive and the company doesn't take the old one to give some credit in exchange.
Roger T.
November 13, 2017

“We've had some issues with duplicate employees which ends up with missed assigned tokens. Fixed now”

OverallWe use Square for our POS, Marketing, Loyalty, Gift Cards, Capital so adding Payroll was a no brainer if it had the features and functionally we needed. And so far it has.
ProsWe came over for years of using Quicken Online Payroll. Square is a little more expensive, but handles more with is less work for us. Also the integration with Homebase is a plus. Now that we can actually talk to someone in Square Payroll Support is a BIG plus. We had a ongoing issue for a while and Lauren came to the rescue! We started using in Jan '17 to try for a year, and are going to stay. Square has been good about implementing new features. Speaking of features, it would be nice to run a payroll for the iPhone dashboard app. We where able to do this with Quicken. Not a deal breaker but definitely a plus.
ConsThe only real issue is adding a New employee. One would think you would start by adding the new employee from within payroll (which I did for some time) When I signed up I didn't remember seeing any instructions on such. After much trial and error, and many support calls I think we have the correct steps down.
November 13, 2017
Sterling T.
Executive Director
December 12, 2017

“The POS system is easy to use, fairly simple to set up, and does not cost that much. ”

ProsIt's ease of use. I do not have anything else to say regarding this topic, it's just easy to use and easy to teach.
ConsThe only thing I do not like about this software is that the reports for cash drawers are limited. If I want to see my totals for pay-outs throughout a month, I have to click on each individual cash drawer, which is time consuming and annoying. It makes it challenging for me to track cash transactions, especially when it is automatically synced to quickbooks. The cash drawer reports are not synced to quickbooks.
Carmella A.
December 11, 2017

“I like the software but I need much more training on it. ”

Overallpayroll
ProsEasy to use when given support. Was fast to set up to make payroll but needed more support in overall set up. I can pay people...but am behind on everything else / Should have been a comprehensive set up process.
ConsThere should be onboarding. I signed up and and am way behind in updating records etc. I have it set up so i am paying people but entering in all the old data from previous payrolls for year etc...doing it right ....prob not. There needs to be an onboarding process. I am way behind now and it is stressful. There also needs to be more integration with quikbooks or instructions on how to do it and set it up. I havent been able to reconcile my books since I signed up. I am sure most business use QB and Square. I asked multiple time but my requests were not understood. making payroll is one thing and the system is good for that but business need the bookkeeping set up help too. I am struggling with this and getting further behind each week. I have looked online for help from QB and Square to no avail.
Food & Beverages, Unspecified
December 7, 2017

“Overall, Square is a great product that I expect will only improve with time. Excited where it goes!”

ProsSo easy to use and train new hires; multitude of features; off-line and mobile capabilities; constant updates that improve the app
ConsBugs are slow to fix; very limited data and customer analysis possibilities; features are confusingly different in the dashboard and Square app; privacy protection for customers doesn't allow us to make important changes; expensive
Janet W.
January 26, 2017

“Really great!”

OverallThis makes payroll and reporting a breeze. Can't imagine anything more user friendly. We have recommended Square products to many of our small business owner friends.
ProsEasy set up, ease of use, easy to use in the field. We love inventory tracking, payroll service, reports that are user friendly. We get our deposits quickly. We've used Square since the first readers were made available.
January 26, 2017
Debbie K.
February 8, 2018

“Very reasonable. Has gotten better and better with time by adding additional features. ”

ProsAffordability, ease of use and also the employee clock in/out feature. Having all the information available on-line. Being able to check the Square app and see who is clocked in and how many hours total worked.
ConsSome features seem to have bugs? Have to play around, go out of feature and go back in for things to work correctly. Ran into a couple of issues that the help feature didn't answer and one time tech support with payroll experience wasn't available. Biggest issue is that I'm not given enough time to review and run payroll - if I don't get in by Monday night, my employees will not receive their direct deposit by Friday - and holidays are worse! Not necessarily a software issue but I believe you should know, I have used several other companies throughout the years and always had a few days to process and get checks in time.
February 8, 2018
michael b.
Physical therapist
Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

“Convenient ”

Overallable to accept credit cards to my business
ProsSimple to use! Just plug it into the phone and swipe! The customers love being able to swipe any card they choose!
Consunable to customize receipts the way I'd like. I need to be able to customize receipts to each client I have and it does not look clean on the print out when i have to write it in the "notes" section
Real Estate, 201-500 employees
October 26, 2018

“Super easy to use!”

OverallAwesome! Quick, easy, entertaining! Everyone is super happy when its this convenient!
ProsSuper easy to use, swipe and payment / transaction is complete in a matter of seconds. Super easy with digital copies!
ConsSlight delay at times but that is normal when working on such a device that runs through a phone!
October 26, 2018
Katrina K.
December 13, 2017

“Easy to use and convenience”

ProsConvenience and ease of use. I do like payroll processing since it is priced competitively and it automatically direct deposits to employees checking accounts and also automatically deducts taxes that are due to IRS and state taxes
ConsSquare charges more than other credit card processors, so we are considering changing. Customer support is good once you get a hold of them, but sometimes you can't get a hold of someone that day or right away or holding for awhile.
Rene P.
CFO
December 13, 2017

“The Square POS has really facilitated our process. We are very happy with it.”

OverallI really uncomplicated the administration aspect of running a business which allow us to focus on the operations side of the house!
ProsLove the sales comparisons from week to week. Also, love the payroll application that comes with it; it uncomplicated the process having the time cards available under the same program. The Square POS is also seamless to use, just wish I had bought the latest POS.
ConsThere has been several times where the POS just stops working and no one can figure out why. Sometimes is an apple update that totally shuts the POS down. The thing is, it does not notify you so it makes it difficult to trouble shoot
Nicole H.
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
December 7, 2017

“I've had a good experience and would recommend it to others”

OverallI like being able to run my own payroll at an affordable price
ProsI like the email reminders and ease-of-use. I like the price per month and being able to collect data
ConsWhen looking at the graph of past payrolls I would like it to show the values more clearly not just when you hover over them period when adding a new employee I would like to do that without having to start in payroll but instead start under employees I don't think employee should be in two different places making it difficult to know which place I'm starting to do certain functions. I would also like to see time cards that don't just show each day but let me see a week or a month at a time. When I search under employee I would like to see their time cards going back that payroll and next payroll not have to click on each day and search for the employee per day
Joe H.
Chiropractor
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
December 6, 2017

“Works well for my business”

OverallEasy access to payroll, seeing monthly statements, convenience
ProsWhat i like about the product is that there is no month fees, it is user friendly, I can take it any where, and quick
ConsI know this really doesn't have to direct correlation with your as Square as a company, though sometimes a slow contention to WIFI
Elissa G.

“Pretty good ”

ProsMerchant vendor, high tech appearance, keeps track of transactions, easy to run reports, time stamp is cool but payroll needs work
ConsCustomer service takes hours to get through! I tried emailing and never heard back. The payroll screwed up my payroll twice and didn't pay my unemployment taxes!
Chad N.
October 30, 2017

“Signing up for Payroll was a bit confusing causing a 2 week delay for employees being paid.”

ProsAgent was very helpful and went above and beyond to ensure that the issues were fixed and clarified the confusion from a previous employee that had me sign up with Homebase. I did as recommended and called square to ensure the first pay period would be arriving soon, as it was past the day that was promised, causing distress with my employees. I compensated them so they would be confident in us as a reliable company. He listened to the issues and went above and beyond most company team members do and talked to a manager to compensate my company. He additionally went followed up with a phone call as scheduled and explained the process in a thorough and professional manner. I ultimately decided to stick with Squareup and Square Payroll due to the positive interaction and his manager who compensated us for the first month of payroll. It showed me that I was valued as a customer and that Square is a company that cares about the small businesses and customers that they serve.
ConsThe initial process was described incorrectly and it was confusing in the beginning, especially when I was asked to add the Homebase app to link up with Square and that caused much confusion and ultimately caused my employees to not be paid more than two weeks late.
October 30, 2017
Domenica C.
Hair stylist
Individual & Family Services, Self-employed
December 12, 2017

“square payroll so far is the best Tool for Small business or even Self employee tool very easy !!”

OverallCapital, customer happy payment right o way is not spence tool
ProsEasy ! simple and delicate so people always feel tecnologí of tge pay pal and card reader is the best
Conssomtime the internet on my shop gets very slow so i get this slow charging problem but is ok is not the software fault
Angel H.
December 6, 2017

“Though I have only been using it for a couple of months, I have been really happy with it!”

OverallEasy to use and understand. Reminders sent automatically which helps me tremendously and payments are also automatically taken care of by square and come out weekly which is easier in smaller amounts. Being able to do everything concerning employees from one system is fabulous!
ProsThe thing I like most is the ease of use with it and the that works better with the employee management side. I am able now to do everything through square rather than having to go to several different places to gather all of the information I needed to get payroll complete, now its all here. They seem very thorough as well when I have communicated with the Square payroll team. I have been in business for 5 years and in that time have had an outside accountant for a time, then switched to Quickbooks, and now with square and in my experience, this is by far the best choice.
ConsThere is only one thing I can think of at this time that I haven't been able to see or figure out. With Quickbooks it did all my calculations for Unemployment Security to the state but I don't see that here. However, it is paid out quarterly so it may be that we have not come to that as of yet so this may be invalid if that is the case. This is the only thing I can think of that I have not figured out for sure yet. I would seriously encourage business owners to use Square. We love it!
Samuel S.
September 12, 2019

“Simple to Use Payroll Tool”

OverallAmazing. Easy-to-use, time saver, and saves me money by handling all tax filings so I avoid any fees or penalties.
ProsRunning payroll with Square Payroll was a breeze. I only required it for a couple of months because I only had an employee for a couple of months in my very small business. But in that time it took me less than 5 minutes to run payroll every two weeks. All I had to do was enter my employee's hours and hit "run payroll". It would handle all local, state, and federal taxes by taking out the necessary amounts and holding them to file taxes when needed. It also allowed me to print a paystub and write manual checks or print the check. It was also the cheapest payroll tool I could find. Highly recommend.
ConsThere was not anything about this software that I had an issue with.
September 12, 2019
LORI W.
Member
January 17, 2019

“If you cancel their service...BEWARE!”

OverallI will be looking for a completely new POS system as well as processor as this situation has left my small business in a bind halfway through January 2019.
ProsThe software itself is fairly easy to utilize; however, if you happen to cancel your subscription beware as you will be on your own. I had reorganized and changed entities therefore, cancelled my Square subscription. When changing entities I acquired a new EIN for the LLC. Square has refused to provide W2's for my employees for the 2017 tax year for the Sole Prop EIN in which I used for the business while with Square. After several emails back and forth I just received confirmation that Square will not be completing W2's for my business as I cancelled my service.
ConsCustomer service is extremely difficult with square as a whole. If you have any type of problem you will pretty much be on your own to research the internet or review conversation on the forum.
January 17, 2019
Jason L.
CEO/Owner
September 19, 2016

“Worked Flawlessly so Far For me!”

OverallThe Square team is extremely helpful with any issues I have (which turn out to be my employees fault) and help get us back on track as soon as possible
ProsEase of use, Speed for payroll to be ran through, and customer service questions are answered promptly.
ConsNot sure exactly what some of the charges are on my account. I'm sure they aren't charging me for something i didn't pay, but a detailed and itemized line receipt of any deductions on my account would be nice to have (unless I'm just not seeing it and they already have one)
Recommendations to other buyersImmerse yourself in learning about the technology, otherwise you may not figure out something that would be easy to miss.
Sasha L.
Owner and Hairstylist
December 11, 2017

“I really like the organized and easy to navigate online pages. The customer service is fantastic!”

ProsThe pages are clear and organized. The website is easy to navigate. The website is quick and efficient.
ConsSometimes I get confused as were to find what I am looking for or how to locate what I need, but I think that is user issues!
Adam B.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees
December 11, 2017

“We're long time square customers and recommend it whole heartedly. ”

OverallCost saving
ProsThe software is super simple to use. It is cost-effective and The reliability has proven to be great.
ConsA few features I'd like to have that aren't there but I suspect they'll be added in time as it is frequently updated.
Hlee L.
December 7, 2017

“Love it. Easy. Some minor issues but responsive. ”

ProsEasy and quick. Set up is easy to follow and everything is tracked as needed for accounting. One time fee in purchasing the equipments and one flat interest rate per transaction.
ConsTakes too long to respond back, but responsive. Always have to log into account in order to get a PIN number to call customer service and yet have to wait another day to solve problem.
Lisa H.

“great”

ProsEasy to Use. Transfers funds and processes transactions quickly. Customer Support is helpful. Affordable.
ConsCustomer Support is is helpful, but hard to reach and connect with. Annoys me that there is a code required first.
shannon p.
December 5, 2017

“One of the customer rep is great, she was very helpful”

Prospretty easy to work with. Has a lot of different options. Customer service is great. I like that you can do your marketing on square. I like the tutorials on how to do things. I like that square is always trying to improve
ConsThat you have to pay for every little thing. I would like to be able to make any report I would like according to services, sales, and specific employee.
Christy D.
Small business owner
Restaurants, 1-10 employees
April 12, 2018

“Square payroll beat out the competition for my small business! ”

OverallMore time to work other aspects of my small business. No more spending hours on payroll!
ProsSo easy to use and incorporate especially if you are using the Square POS. Time clock, employee management, taxes, workers comp can all be handled at once. NO astronomical fees! Saves so much time on payroll processing. Love it!
ConsThere isn't anything I can think of that I do not like. I switched from a major payroll firm and never plan on leaving Square. They really are looking after the small business!
April 12, 2018
Matt G.
Performing Arts, 11-50 employees
December 6, 2017

“Great service & Great Value - Powerful, Intuitive, & Very Competitively Priced”

OverallHelps us efficiently and effectively run our business.
ProsThe intuitive nature of the software makes it very simple and efficient to use. And while it may be one of the best designed interfaces, it also seems to be one of the most affordable payroll services that I have come across.
ConsThe only thing that I was unable to figure out in Square Payroll was set up an employee that received an hourly rate, plus commission, plus tips. I had to combine the hourly rate and commission together (Tips are separate).
Wendy K.
December 5, 2017

“Makes being a small business a double dream!”

ProsReally appreciate the email reminders to run payroll. Direct deposit is great and the fact that you take care of all the taxes is a huge help!
ConsThere has been a few letters we've received from the IRS with questions about payments they've received and where they should go, but the Square team has always been responsive and helped to figure it all out.
Angie H.
May 20, 2017

“Poor product and customer services”

OverallA lesson.
ProsClean and easy to use interface. Unfortunately that's all the positives I can think of after using it for more than 6 months.
Cons1. Lots of mistakes - inaccurate state/city withholding at the beginning, even the dashboard numbers did not add up/balance (these were corrected after we raised the issues). A few months later, suddenly they double deducted certain taxes from our bank account for TWO consecutive payrolls (you'd think they would fix it after we raised the issue the first time). This is worrying as it makes us wonder if they actually got all the calculations behind the scene correctly. 2. Lack of reporting - no detail of when or what taxes have been paid. No actual PDF of all your tax forms (like form 940), only PDFs of tax forms in Square's own format are available. When we finally downloaded our state payroll forms directly from the state website, numbers on the forms are missing (Square said it's the state's problem). 3. Customer services is not great. We almost always have to repeat and explain our problems again because they would reply with some generic answers first and never really look into the specific problems when they receive your email. So you have to repeat and explain, and when they finally realize there were mistakes, they would not even contact you to let you know it is corrected (don't expect an apology). With all the time wasted, the Square payroll is probably one of the worst software we've used. The interface is clean and nice and easy to use, but it stops there. Don't let it fool you. The rest is a nightmare.
May 20, 2017
Carly O.
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
December 7, 2017

“Overall, I'd give it an above average review. There are some things that can be improved,.”

OverallWe benefit from the easy to use, easy to set up nature. Adding products is easy. Fast, reliable checkouts.
ProsI like Square overall for my POS and Payroll. In general we like Square and Square Payroll because it was easy to set up, easy to use, it has good UI, nice design, easy to run weekly payroll.
Cons1) Cost is good for a small business, but hikes as soon as you get a lot of employees. We are a taproom with lots of part time employees and some only work once a month. Maybe it could be a set rate over a range, like 5-10 people is XX$ per month. 2) Reporting errors with state. There have been several reporting errors and we've gotten letters from the Comptroller. Ideally we shouldn't be getting these. 3) Lastly, the difference between employee permissions and payroll should be blurred. I'd like to give my employees different access to features.
Peg W.
Own-operate a whiskey bar
December 6, 2017

“Square is easy to set-up and inexpensive hardware. ”

OverallFast to set-up, easy to update and, mobility of hardware
ProsEase of use, menu updates are a snap, mobility of ipads and the set fee for all cards, so there is not guess work or surprises.
ConsInability to slide a credit card and hold a tab open. We have to keep the cards on file and then charge at the end of the sale.