Mattermost Ratings

Overall

About Mattermost

Mattermost provides enterprise-grade collaboration solutions for the worlds leading organizations on a vibrant open source platform. Our private, hybrid and public cloud solutions offer secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging across web, mobile and PC with archiving, search, and deep integration across in-house systems. Learn more about Mattermost

Adam W.
Code monkey / Bot farmer
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 19, 2017

“Switched to Mattermost after using Slack extensively, but got sick of the 10000 message limit”

OverallA platform to discuss issues and feature ideas around our open source project, without cluttering up the threads on github. A great way to stay in touch with devs from all around the world.
ProsThat we can host it ourselves, for one. We used to use the free tier of slack, but quickly discovered that the message limit was causing issues when we needed to recall conversations had in the past. It's been relatively hassle-free in getting it set up, and the whole team love it! One or two of us (myself included) were inspired to brush up on some of our coding skills when we discovered it didn't quite have the integrations that slack did, and as such have learned a lot about how Mattermost is put together, and how to create bots to get the information we need via webhooks. The Mattermost developers and community at large have been very helpful in answering questions when we've come up against issues, and I have even got a couple of my integrations featured on the integrations page of their website!
ConsReally, not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to be able to sign into multiple slack servers from the mobile app (though, the native app has really come along in leaps and bounds recently). The only thing I miss from the Slack days is a sidebar/widget that tells you the local times of the other users (handy when working with folk from overseas!), though we have recently developed our own slash command to return this information, it would be nice if it was built in to the server. I should probably feed this back to the devs.... ;)
Viorel-Cosmin M.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
April 19, 2019

“Our day with Mattermost”

OverallWe solve the need to have a Support/Chat/Client support software, with this we have it all in one. It helped us keep communications across teams and countries painless. Integrated with all entire ecosystem from Taiga.io to Gitlab for a better DevOps experience. Overall every chance we had to contribute we toke it, thats why we decided to fully translate mattermost in Romanian language, do we did. If you need a centralized devops collaborative platform, give it a try!
ProsOne executable binary, simple to upgrade and maintain! Reliable self hosted alternative to other SaaS PaaS options. Cross-platform applications ready to use. Amazing open source community built around the product, friendly and helpful people!
ConsIt requires integration directory to allow users app deployment in mattermost ecosystem with ease. A bot repository is missing, this can fir next to all others apps and allow users automatic deployments of any apps from the store. Store idea is not a new concept, and a company that respects themselves should make use of own repository. Allow users to safely deploy tested and 100% working apps along their Mattermost instance.
April 19, 2019
Shawn M.
December 19, 2017

“Mostly good, but I do feel it is a slightly lesser experience than some proprietary options.”

OverallControl over our hosting and data
ProsOpen source and self hosted, I don't get irritated if slack goes down and I don't have to worry about my data security or my data just being lost of the company goes belly up. This is far and away our primary reason for using this instead of Slack,Hipchat,Cisco, etc. It doesn't ask anywhere on this survey, but we use it for about 80 people, 60 staff and then various clients and contractors. We don't use many of the enterprise features, we just pay the licensing to support open source.
ConsiOS and Android Apps are pretty idiocy, they're getting a bit better, but they are easily the worst part and I field lots of complaints about them. I would trade all new features and other fixes for faster and more reliable apps. The web interface is much better, but a bit buggy, nothing serious but little lags and quirks persist longer than I would expect. The install process is also a bit silly, copy pasting files and such, a provided .deb or a custom apt repository would be 100x better and save me upgrade time and downtime. The lack of this is surprising considering almost all other software I use has this, even when it is free or small.
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
December 28, 2018

“Make the Most of Mattermost”

OverallBetween communications platforms, voice calls, emails, and texting, there are numerous ways to communicate with colleagues. My company decided to use Mattermost because it helps us avoid clogging up email when we have quick questions to ask or non-essential company-wide messages to send.
ProsMy company has over 200 employees ranging multiple departments (from editorial to strategy to support) and offices. Mattermost helps us stay connected in a quick and efficient way because we can easily connect and disconnect from channels according to our business or personal needs. For example, I am part of a group that connects members of my immediate editorial team and other groups that connect my larger team, my support resources, and strategy team members. It helps me stay organized in my communications, and it's much easier than using email or texting to communicate quickly with people on a daily basis.
ConsBecause my company is relatively large, we have dozens of channels on Mattermost. I sometimes find it difficult to find specific channels that I'm not already a part of, especially if I don't know the precise name of the channel or group. This sometimes ends up being a hindrance to what is typically quick and efficient communication. Nevertheless, I enjoy using Mattermost and would recommend it to other businesses.
December 28, 2018
Tobias F.
Software Developer
Machinery, 1001-5000 employees
December 19, 2017

“Very intuitive and solid software which is perfect for running a slack replacement on premise.”

OverallA super and ready to use Slack alternative.
Pros* The replacement of slack * Mattermost has almost the same features as Slack * You can host and run your own instance on your own server (For companies which hate clouds) :) * You have a good overview of logs and you can see what goes around * The statistics gives a good point when a dev team is productive * You can easily create unlimited integrations which some internal stuff
Cons* The lack of integrations (Slack is here over the top) * The incoming hook limitation of maximum content length is the hell (Mattermost don't inform the customer about a message which was higher above the hard coded message size limit) * UX in Slack is a little bit better (Slack is massively using websockets and eventstreams to fetch the actual team messages) -> You see always whats going on * A 'Unread' channel (like in slack) would be a pleasure ;) * A step by step guide for creating an integration would not bad for not advanced users
Sarah L.
CSR
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
March 4, 2019

“Great Application for Internal Messaging”

OverallMattermost is fantastic for internal messaging for an office looking to communicate between departments discreetly. The web app is flawless, and the mobile app is useful with some glitches, i.e. force quitting, delayed responses. I would highly recommend Mattermost for those looking for an intuitive instant messaging software suited for professional use.
ProsMattermost is customizable and fairly simple to use. There's essentially no learning curve as it has all the familiar landmarks of instant messaging. I love the ability to create customer emojis which my office lovingly partakes in. It allows us to work efficiently and quietly, while being able to communicate seamlessly between departments. The interface looks clean, and I can't think of any glitches to date on the web application version.
ConsI would like a better search feature, and perhaps the ability to search by person rather than just chronological. I use both the web app and the mobile app, and the mobile app can occasionally force quit and delays messages now and then.
March 4, 2019
Tim E.
Redakteur
Publishing, 11-50 employees
January 9, 2018

“Great user acceptance and ease of use”

ProsThe interface is pretty much self-explanatory. This is why the user acceptance is quite good. Customizing the interface is straight forward and can be done at user level. The open source cummunity around Mattermost is really nice and welcoming. Apps for every operating systems are available and easy to use once manually set up. Scalability was never a problem with 1000+ users.
ConsSetting up integrations is more complex than with Slack, where integrations can be installed with one click in the backend. There is an app directory, but the apps need to be set up manually. Once set up, they just work. Incoming webhooks are the only exception; they work out of the box. Mobile perfomance is gradually getting better, but it's not yet up to Slack's par. The Windows-app is not yet ready for big scale rollouts via group policies.
Anjali G.
Sr. Software Engineer
June 28, 2018

“User friendly Software, like it.”

ProsI am using this software from last 1year and the experience is amazing. This software provides great features and it is so user friendly. You get used to it very soon and you will definitely like it. The channels, individual notifications and maintaining the history of messages and not losing them 2weeks upfront like other communcation channels differs it from other softwares. Chat options, the emojis all the perfect. The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth. We used this as major communication channel between offshore and onshore team and we have teamcity integrations for build success/failure messages. It integrated so well.
ConsPersonally i like it, i don't find any issue with this software. It is just few softwares more overrated and people prefer those. But believe me this one is if you get used to it will never let you switch to some other communication channel.
June 28, 2018
sherrie S.
CSANA
Retail, 10,001+ employees
October 11, 2019

“Communication for the masses”

OverallMattermost is a great software to use with the virtual employee situation which allows the sharing of ideas, answers to customer facing issues, and the ability to communicate privately with leadership and/ or teammates. The chat is instantaneous, which allows for faster responses than emails.
ProsInteractive media that allows instant communication with teammates and leadership, whether it was a question or just sharing of daily life. The ability to host channels that was based on teams, programs, and specified topics. All individuals were able to have private groups to chat with friends, co workers, or teams.
ConsThe scroll in chats often moved so very quickly that questions and responses were missed. Inability to customize responses such as color, fonts, etc.
October 11, 2019
Athanasios K.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 20, 2017

“Mattermost is the every day reliable work mule that powers our team's direct communication needs.”

ProsIt is an easy to use, open-source and free messenger, which can be setup either on-premises or hosted on a cloud platform, while also being docker friendly. Community extensions and plugins, as well as optional commercial enterprise-level support, provide infinite extensibility and flexibility options.
ConsA few more service integrations, like audio/video conferencing, contacts/calendar sharing, attachments managing, better in-chat previews would be positive moves, although these features are getting improved version by version.
Massimo S.
Senior Copywriter
Financial Services, 201-500 employees
September 26, 2018

“A more secure slack”

OverallMattermost got everyone on our team working together more. Made it way easier to track how a project is going and made it super easy to share files.
ProsWe use mattermost in our office, we work in a highly regulated industry and needed something that could offer more security while making sure we keep our files transferred among one another in our control.
ConsVery minimal not too like. They are growing their emoji collection, but would like to see some more fun stuff in the program to insert some fun into the mundane work day.
September 26, 2018
Julian Jacques M.
Office Automation Developer
September 9, 2019

“A self-hosted alternative to Slack and Teams”

ProsOne of the most critical aspects of Mattermost: it's self-hosted. Yes, that means additional work for hosting, but it also ensures our internal communication stays internal. We use Mattermost for almost all of our discussion, and it has dramatically improved our workday.
ConsMobile clients exist, but there are not necessarily great. I often use the website instead of the mobile client, because it is quicker and the status of my colleagues is actually shown correctly.
September 9, 2019
David M.
Senior Engineer
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
April 25, 2019

“Excellent Hipchat Replacement for On-Prem Enterprise Chat”

OverallWe are very heavy into enterprise chat. We are not allowed to use off-premise (i.e. cloud) hosted solutions for security reasons. When Atlassian decided to sell Hipchat to Slack, that put is in a bit of a bind as Hipchat was essential to our business communication process. With the implementation of Mattermost, I am actually finding that my staff prefer Mattermost to Hipchat.
ProsI did an evaluation for a replacement for our Hipchat server as Atlassian is phasing out Hipchat for on-site chat. In doing a direct shootout between Mattermost and a competitor, I found Mattermost much easier to install and administer. Mattermost's team has been very responsive in the evaluation process. There are a large number of plugins available to connect other development tools to Mattermost. It's clear it's a product that is getting actively maintained, with new features and functionality coming nicely down the pipeline to the end users.
ConsThe Jira integration is currently not as fully-featured as Hipchat's was. That said, I believe that a better integration is coming down the pipeline. The default video chat/screen share plugin is Zoom. I would prefer having other options.
Pierre-Paul L.

“Awesome.”

OverallLike I just said, full and easy auditing of the stack. The API is clean enough to pair with pretty much anything.
ProsCan be installed on-premise and is open-source. I can secure and audit the software myself and I don't have to trust any external partners.
ConsRight now I would say : backups. I have not found a good canonical documentation source about backups (and most importantly, how to restore them). It's nice to see Gitlab backing of the project, but I hate the fact that it's bundled together.
11-50 employees
December 19, 2017

“Easy to use, easy to setup and easy to maintain.”

OverallComplete control on our data. We also finally centralized all our communication and standardized it. No more private message, group private message and all that mess. Lastly, we have couple of our product that are using incoming webhook to push important notifications.
Proseasy to use S3 backend Good support of different databases Quite easy to configure for the different needs of a company I love the threaded reply, make it so much easier to follow multiple threads in the same channel. Mobile notifications are quite useful Mobile native app was quite welcomed, the previous one wasn't up to standard
Conssome glitch in the mobile applications Weird marketing decisions on which feature goes in which package Can't see how many private channels are present (as the administrator of the server)
James D.
Head Of Design
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
August 12, 2019

“The bridge between face to face and email”

ProsWhen it's too much to send an email or you can't be bothered to get out of your chair, Mattermost is perfect. It allows all our staff to quickly chat about things without clogging up inboxes or having them on their phones. Groups and channels are great, especially for management needs.
ConsThe ability to preview non-image files would be nice, some files, have to be downloaded to be previewed.
August 12, 2019
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
December 20, 2017

“The best alternative to Slack and best work messaging app on the market”

ProsThere are not that many good options for team messaging apps. Hipchat or Microsoft Teams do not even come close in terms of either functionality or scalability from a slack. Hipchat,Yammer, Skype were from another generation. However slack is expensive, and they limit your search history, if you're using their free version. Mattermost has the exact same functionalities but its code base is totally open so it can be integrated with anything you can think of (even those legacy applications that Slack won't bother with).
ConsMight take you an hour to deploy. and if you're not familiar with deploying applications you might have to read the instructions... But other than that. It's a 10/10.
Pat C.
December 20, 2017

“Great self-hosted alternative to Slack.”

ProsMatter most lets you own your own data. Self-host Mattermost means not letting a third-party control what actually matters in a chat open. The open dvevelopment model gives insight into the upcoming relase cycle, see if others have solved integration issues that you may be attempting, file bug reports and follow the progress in fixing or even contributing a fix back yourself.
ConsMattermost still has some rough edges regarding their mobile clients. The new native app is definitely better than the previous web-view one though.
Andreas S.
Software Developer
Information Technology and Services, 5001-10,000 employees
December 19, 2017

“Mattermost is a great tool for business collaboration. Easy, professional, lightweight.”

OverallFinally we managed to bring people together to discuss things in an easy way on the global level. E-mail threads that hurt are ghosts of the past now.
ProsOpen Source community driven. Very easy to install and maintain. Very stable. Easy to integrate.
ConsSome fancy features might take forever to be implemented. Lacks some nice to have admin features for large user groups.
Caleb M.
IT Consultant
January 10, 2018

“A very low friction transition from less flexible more expensive team chat solutions.”

OverallOne place for team communications that Slack/Hipchat users find familiar and everybody else learns easily. Integration with other software in our mostly open source workflow.
ProsGreat integration with as many systems as we want including with SSO and being able to roll our own tweaks when necessary.
ConsAudio and video integrations are still in beta and a bit rough. My teams pretty much prefer out of band calls for that which detracts from team interactions. Also notifications are a little dicey.
January 10, 2018
201-500 employees
January 2, 2018

“I run my own instance to chat with my friends since long time (40984 messages from ~15 users)”

OverallBetter communication and project management, easy notifications and less mail exchange.
ProsIn fact, I enjoy how data are linked by channel and hashtag, to plug it easily to integrate it w/ existent tools.
ConsNot a lot to say here, native gif integration is missing and more command to activate some sounds or i don't know.
January 2, 2018
Jiri H.
Architect
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
December 20, 2017

“Complete, reliable and user friendly, also for the administration part.”

OverallBetter team communication, improved efficiency, new communication channel
ProsNew features coming without increasing complexity for the user, the open source DNA, it's capacity to integrate anywhere.
ConsThe mobile app could be faster, and I miss the capacity to paste easily something with more than 4000 characters.
Gavin B.
Account Executive
June 24, 2019

“Amazing enterprise messaging product! ”

ProsIncredibly easy to use software and ties into all my workflows. Hundreds of integrations, great UI, rich text formatting and Open Source. Love Mattermost!!
ConsNothing. Could not be happier with Mattermost and have been using it for over 2 years.
June 24, 2019
Luc D.
System administrator
January 3, 2018

“Mattermost just works seamlessly, does the job and more.”

ProsThe ability of Mattermost to detect that you paste an image URL and display the image without getting out of Mattermost, and the fetching of Oembed/Opengraph/whatever data of URLs, providing summary of pages. And the extendability with hooks.
ConsWell, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms. Putting flags on important messages helps not loosing them.
January 3, 2018
Dalibor K.
Technical Account Manager
Shipbuilding, 1-10 employees
February 25, 2019

“Alternative to Slack - opensource”

OverallOpensource alternative to Mattermost. Allows team communication on one place, especially for things that should be in chat-groups-discussions and not in countless emails that are hard to track in multi-user environment.
ProsIt is opensource, it has no limits like Slack and it allows similar experience/functions. It is not easy to set-up but once started it works with no issues on desktops/laptops.
ConsAndroid app is not connecting to some servers (all I built). SSL certificate handling is a bit tricky. Default way of creating users is sending them link (creating user/pass would be a good option).
February 25, 2019
Jacek S.
IT Security Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
January 8, 2019

“Good Open Source alternative for Slack”

Pros+ Open Source + Can be set up for free even for Commercial use + Can be hosted on-premise + Good community support - Apps and Integrations brings great support to exchange data with external systems for software development teams
Cons- The interface is not as refined as Slacks's - Video and audio conferencing is not integral part of the software and requires external integrations
January 8, 2019
Renjith P.
Architect
December 25, 2017

“Amazing Team Collaboration”

ProsSo intuitive interface and so less clutter. The teams love mattermost for many things, integrations, easy to use interface, stability of the software.
Cons1. The ability for anyone to delete a channel. 2. Lack of SAML support for team edition
December 25, 2017
Carsten P.
Senior Software Engineer
Information Technology and Services, Unspecified
January 9, 2018

“Great tool that works just the way it should, high quality, performance, and UX.”

ProsI like most that it's a very unobtrusive tool that "just works" without getting in the way, be it in the browser, as a desktop app, or on mobile. It's Open Source and can be self-hosted, allowing for private communication. I also love the open, active and welcoming community.
ConsThere's really nothing in Mattermost, that I don't like at all. But if I could wish for something, I'd like to have a list of "favourite chats" (channels or direct chats) that are always visible, independent of the current team selection.
Nazar L.
QA Engineer
January 1, 2018

“Great open source messaging application and slack alternative”

ProsThe product is easy to use and there is lots of documentation on github updated regularly by developers and community. You control your data and security because software can be hosted on premise. Thread reply is much better than what slack did. Mattermost has short release cycle, feature vote forum, your voice matters to the company
ConsOverall UI is not bad but in my opinion slack has much more beautiful look. Expiration time for authentication token is quite short, you would need to re-login every month or so
January 1, 2018
Dan G.
Director, Cloud Services

“Self-installed internally”

Overallself-reliance is pretty key - plus the cost of licensing Slack was wildly disproportional to the value gained for 900+ person company.
ProsWe own all the data - it's not sent to 3rd party. Price is right. Ease of integrations of our own coding.
Consit's lagging behind slack in 'slickness' of UI, pre-canned integrations, and overall feature list (albeit pretty close)
December 30, 2017

“Very good system, especially because you can host it for free. ”

OverallBetter communication on a company level.
ProsYou can host it for free. Markdown support. Gitlab Integration and updates. Easy to administrate.
ConsThere are many mature alternatives. Lacks some features or has them but you need to do way to much setup. Doesn't feel as polished as others. Mobile app is getting better, but still not up to the competition.
December 30, 2017
Nicolas B.
Head of IT
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
December 29, 2017

“Full of great features for this chat system”

OverallBetter communication between teams of our company in different locations
ProsFrequent release with new features, and the ability to host mattermost on our own server. Ability to add our own commands for specific needs
ConsUpgrade could be simplify. Mobile apps do not allow authentification by certificate API changes broke few commands after a matter most upgrade
Publishing, 11-50 employees
January 14, 2019

“A good, free Slack alternative”

ProsMattermost has made communication feasible for our distributed team. Direct messages, private and public channels provide everything we need for different types of messaging.
ConsThe UI isn't as smooth as the one you'll find on Slack, but general features and functionality are all there.
January 14, 2019
January 8, 2018

“Great product, recommend it to everyone, and best of all ”

ProsThe use of web sockets and consistency between platforms and ability to self host the software. Open source is also a high point.
ConsLack of asymmetric end-to-end encryption. Would like to see server side ability to enable/disable this feature, as well as seeing it as either mandatory or opt-in for each chat session. Would be best if each client would generate a key-pair and give public cert to the server and each other client signed/encrypted it with the public key.
Higher Education, Unspecified
January 8, 2018

“Great software. Helps us a lot in our day-to-day business.”

ProsVery supportive and open-minded team which helps where they can. Also open for new feature ideas. Almost en par with Slack but self-hosted which is a big bonus for companies in privacy concerned organizations.
ConsThe iOS app could be better. Complicated installation/update if you don't do it via gitlab-omnibus package.
Prabhu S.
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
July 20, 2019

“Mattermost Review”

OverallChat with my peers is much easier.
ProsNice options and functionality useful for everyday use
ConsInability to turn off popup notifications
July 20, 2019
Mark D.
Art Director
Recreational Facilities and Services, 51-200 employees
October 9, 2018

“Quick communication”

ProsMy coworkers and I are able to message each other individually or in channels with multiple coworkers. Pretty much just does what I would expect out of any quality messaging app.
ConsI used to get notifications on my phone, but now I don't and I can't figure out how to get them back.
October 9, 2018
April 16, 2018

“Great alternative to Slack, especially for the price”

ProsIt's very simple to use and much much cheaper than its competition. Persistent chat is beneficial when working with teams across multiple time zones -- email notifications when I'm not signed in is great.
ConsThere is something that's somewhat intangible but for some reason Slack feels better. Slack seems more elegant, but overall, this is the only negative thing I could find about the software. Overall it meets and exceeds my team's needs for a fraction of the price.
April 16, 2018
1001-5000 employees
December 29, 2017

“So far Mattermost as delivered what it has promised. It's a fast evolving product you can trust.”

ProsIt is free and opensource, so you know what you are running and you can contribute to it whenever you think there's something that can be improved. It has all the necessary tools to be the organization's chat platform and whenever you find and odd problem, the support is there to help you.
ConsIt is not yet as intuitive to use integrations as it is with slack. The UI although has improved greatly over time, it still has room to improve.
Carlos P.
January 4, 2018

“If you want to have a hosted solution this is one of the best ones!”

Pros- open source - you can customize - support to several languages - have slack support to import the data and reuse the webhooks
Cons- The tech stack may be hard for people that dont know Go or Javascript - missing features in the open source option
January 4, 2018
Jon C.
IT Manager

“Almost really good.”

OverallSlack with AD integration at half the cost. But I still wish I could afford Slack.
ProsSlack integrations just work on Mattermost. The theme choices are very nice. The ability to host my own on-premises server is very nice. Technical support staff is very knowledgeable and competent. I'm not made to feel like an idiot if there is some specialized knowledge that I don't have.
ConsThe Android client is extremely buggy and fairly slow still. Selecting a push notice to open Mattermost to view and respond in the thread does not always open the right thread and is always slow (even on LAN, with the latest gen of Android phone!)). The client MUST be snappy and it just.. isn't. The Windows client becomes slower and slower the longer you have it open, so it must be restarted every day or two. It's a little buggy; sometimes new messages make your view scroll up instead of down. But it works well enough most of the time.
Wesley C.
Tool Support Specialist
Computer Games, 501-1000 employees
December 2, 2018

“Eases team communication across the world ”

OverallWhen I get into work in the morning, i can easily and conveniently see what other members of our project have discussed, despite them being in other parts of the world.
ProsMattermost makes it convenient to communicate with different teams around the world. We can get snap updates when needed, create new channels to focus our communications, and it has a dark mode.
ConsSometimes I get connections difficulties.
December 2, 2018
Jason S.
Sr. DevOps Engineer

“Good value”

ProsFeature set is growing with each release. Application upgrades are fairly simple. Team is responsive.
ConsStill light on some features that competitors offer. Mobile performance has been a challenge. No auto-update feature on desktop app.
Jan-Peter R.
Software Architect
Retail, 201-500 employees
April 25, 2019

“Best Slack Alternative ”

OverallGreat software, easy Administration, best user experience!
ProsEasy to setup & upgrade. Multiple client options. Ease of use: If you know Slack, you know Mattermost. Integration with other services (Jira, Confluence, Zoom, BBB, Jitsi) Best HipChat/Stride successor
ConsMaybe some parts of the documentation should be more precise with examples
John s.
Web Designer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
December 15, 2018

“Best team chat software ”

ProsMattermost improves communication and collaboration within our organization with a very good group and one-on-one messaging.
ConsThere's no video and audio conferencing.
December 15, 2018
Yonge C.
Events Services, 11-50 employees
August 18, 2018

“Amazing Stuff”

OverallAllows us to better manage communication on projects between team members.
ProsJust Works, Really cool for improved communication between team and clients.
ConsA little expensive if they had an inexpensive community version I would gladly contribute some money to them. As it is am forced to use without contributing due to a high barrier to entry.
August 18, 2018
Aru S.
Technologist
December 19, 2017

“I've enjoyed seeing Mattermost evolve.”

OverallI was able to run an on-prem chat solution briefly to enable my leadership to understand the enterprise collaboration platform options available to us.
ProsBeing able to host an on-prem solution that can compete with Slack in many areas is great. I also appreciate it being open source.
ConsThe annoyance of getting free push notifications to work for non-hosted installations - organizations are forced to build & maintain their own compiled mobile apps, which introduces further administrative headaches. I also didn't appreciate that the Android app is *not* a native app. It feels subpar.
Kyâne P.
Devops
December 19, 2017

“I deploy a Mattermost instance for a FOSS student association. ”

Pros- FOSS / Ability to self-hosted - Very good alternative to Slack - Docker support - Good documentation
ConsThe process to ask for new features is quite heavy : first you need to submit proposal, wait for some votes, then wait for Mattermost team to create the task and wait for the implementation.
Cristóbal V.
Technisch systeembeheerder

“Great”

ProsGreat Slack alternative Works good Great app We have been using Mattermost for quite a while now and are really happy with it
Kandyse S.
Clerk
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
August 25, 2019

“Best Software for Team Communication”

OverallI am overall pleased with Mattermost, in many ways it performs better than Slack and has promising prospects.
ProsMattermost has a very simple user interface and works seamlessly with minimal issues. It's a great alternative to other similar programs due to its accessibility and organized layout.
ConsMattermost could do better in making the performance better and smoothing out some the bugs that happens on Android devices.
August 25, 2019