Chat Ratings

Overall

About Chat

Cloud-based platform that helps businesses facilitate operations via a suite of communication and productivity applications. Learn more about Chat

Leo F.
Account Executive
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
August 22, 2019

“Chat provide the best communication with the aweasome video chat.”

OverallChat is the best software for the communication purpose. I would really like this software because it is the most powerful messaging tool. The best thing that I really liked about it is that I can easily share the important information with the group video chat. Hence, for me it is the best tool for the communication and collaboration. It allow me to easily connect with my relatives, colleagues and team members.
ProsChat is so easy to use with the versatile features. We can easily communicate with each others at anytime and at anywhere in the world with the help of this efficient software. This software provide the best video communication services. The great advantage that this software provide us is that it makes the best communication by the instant messages, calling and the awesome video chat. It allow us to easily connect with the relatives, colleagues any team members. This software is also the most powerful messaging software. So, Chat software is a great for the fast conversation. The another advantage that this software provide us the great options for the direct messages to anyone and that's why Chat software is also a best source of communication.
ConsThe disadvantage of this software provide us is that it does not provide the best options for the audio and video calls and also messaging with the great collaboration. So, there are some features that are missing, so it should must enhanced the features. This software should also need some extraordinary options and then all the business companies get benefited from the Chat software. The another disadvantage of this efficient software is that it does not allow us for the video calls and conferences. But otherwise, it also provide the biggest benefit for us is that we can share all of our important information with the group video chat with our colleagues and team members.
August 22, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
December 12, 2018

“Modern Enterprise Chat”

ProsOne of the obvious competitors for Google Chat is the prevalent Skype (previously Lync) instant messaging application often bundled with Microsoft products such as Outlook and Office for ease of integration. Unlike Skype, Google Chat offers a more modern set of features. Foremost is the way in which content can be directly shared in the chat window such as images or image previews from URL resources. Rich content can simply be pasted directly into Google chat and seamlessly integrated into the conversation. In Skype, copy pasting an image results in the image being sent as an attached file which is disruptive and really negates the convenience of sending an image over IM versus more conventional means such as e-mail. Overall Google Chat offers a modern approach to enterprise instant messaging that simply works and works well.
ConsOne of the main concerns for Google Chat revolves around the precarious nature of Google long term product support. On the other side of the fence Skype users are migrating to a more Discord or Slack like application called Microsoft Teams. This next generation of application incorporates IM into a broader context that includes more robust moderation and content sharing capabilities. As of now, Google Chat is in a branding transition to be incorporated as Google Hangouts Chat which indicates that Google intends to stay in the IM application space, but its not clear what features will be updated to bring Google Hangouts Chat in-line with competing applications.
December 12, 2018
Tyler B.
Freelance Graphic Designer
Graphic Design, Self-employed
April 15, 2019

“Essential.”

ProsWhat's not to like? It's a chat function! It's very basic but I find it essential for dealing with colleagues. I work freelance right now, so am using it less these days, but in the past have worked in charities and it is essential to day to day communication with co-workers. It allows you to easily and quickly ask small questions without clogging up the inbox with unnecessary emails, and also without physically getting up and having to disturb people in the middle of their work day. I've been with orgs that have used project management software; they have been very expensive and in the end the only function we've really ended up using is the chat. GSuite already has that, and it's free.
ConsIt doesn't pretend to be anything different, but it's very basic. If Google expanded it even a little bit it could easily supplant things like Slack, which many people/organizations are currently making use of, as it allows for things like topic threads and easier group file sharing. I would love to see Google flesh this app out a bit more - as it is it is good, but it could be so much better.
April 15, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
March 3, 2019

“An Application With Some Problems, With A Lot Of Potential”

OverallWhile it is a chat application with many possibilities to be the suite of Google products, for the moment I think it has several points against it do not allow you to be up to the rest of the tools for chat. However, I still use it! ;)
ProsThe fact that this chat tool is 100% integrated to the suite of Google applications that we use in the company, makes everyday work with it very simple. It has the possibility of being used both from a PC (via web or through the standalone version) or from a mobile device.
ConsSeveral points against: 1- the mobile version for Android does not solve the whole well to do with notifications, even more if it is used with the standalone version together. 2- The notifications in the mobile version take a while to arrive in comparison with other chat applications that we have used (HeapChat, for example). 3- The user interface and the actions that are carried out many times are not entirely clear until you learn them (for example: how to attach an image or document in a conversation, in which it is unclear what to send this document once attached to it). 4- The updates: they are very frequent and many times the session is lost when restarting the application after it.
March 3, 2019
Christina W.
Web Designer / Owner
Public Relations and Communications, 1-10 employees
March 1, 2019

“This review is for Google Voice”

ProsWhat I like most about the Google Voice software is the ability to have a separate phone number connected to my active phone number to use for my company number. I was able to choose something that was easy to remember (at least I think) and completely dissociates Peanut Media from me when I need it to. Another reason it is great is that I can tell it to show me the number so I know it is a customer calling and I make it an importance to answer, especially because of the time we live in now, where telemarketers knows how to get local numbers and you get 20 calls a day.
ConsI would love if there was a way to mask the call but also show you it is Google Voice calling? Like a notification that pops up as the phone number is calling so that there would be no need to mask the call with the phone number instead of showing the customer. It is completely Russian roulette when answering otherwise.
March 1, 2019
Elena C.
Employee Engagement Manager
Human Resources, 11-50 employees
September 19, 2018

“Google Chat ... Professional and Personal”

OverallExcellent!!! I've been using it forever and love it.
ProsIt's incredibly easy to use. Click the name of the person you want to talk to, and talk. More companies are using Gmail now, over Outlook, especially the more technically saavy companies. Something I find incredibly convenient as well is that you have everything in one place and easy access to it all - your chat for quick contact, email if you want to share documents, etc, the option for group hangouts, and your Google drive. All things I use on a regular basis and having them just a click away, rather than having to open up different programs/apps, is huge and a big reason why I love it. Convenience is key!!
ConsI don't love when the look of it is updated, but that's just a personal "adverse to change once I know how to use it" preference and you have the option to set it back. So really, this isn't a dislike, just a thought :)
September 19, 2018
jose b.
technical service
June 6, 2018

“Since I've been using google chat I've had better communication with family and friends.”

ProsWhat I like most about google chat is that you can not only chat via text, but you can also do it in the form of voice chat video chat is excellent service on the goole platform and also provides a free service also is can send and receive images in real time I also like it because not only to use the chat has to be only a computer you can also do it from your smart phone is an excellent service thanks to google chat I can communicate with several people at the same time , as I can also make a video chat with several people at the time for me to have been the best software that has the Google platform I recommend it to the users so that their communication is much better.
ConsWhat I do not like about Google chat is that it is not as private as, for example, the intelligent service of the United States has access to all conversations inside and through Gmail. At least that should be confidential. I do not like that they only have one client. for windonws 2000 because they should have more clients on that part are the things that I do not like.
June 6, 2018
Apparel & Fashion, Unspecified
June 5, 2018

“We use G Suite including Gmail for our business email and we use the integrated G Suite Chat Daily.”

OverallAs users of Gsuite and Gmail, it makes perfect sense to use Chat within the Gmail window for informal daily communications and collaborations.
ProsWe use Gmail for our business emails, so it is very convenient to have the integrated G Suite Chat available in the same tab and window of our browser. We will typically use Chat when it is more appropriate than sending an email for quick daily messages to keep our business running smoothly and efficiently. Chat allows us to quickly share status, have 1-1 and group conversations, share links and even quickly paste and send a screenshot. Chat is used daily by all business members, and chat logs can be optionally saved and searched later right within Gmail.
ConsChat messages that are send while the recipient is not online are usually not seen or noticed when the recipient does log on later. This is a major issue for Chat and makes it unreliable for important communications.
June 5, 2018
Construction, 201-500 employees
April 30, 2019

“ The perfect solution to communicate at your computer and on the go ”

Overall I can't imagine my workday without Google chat. It is perfect for one on one chats or to can create a group and send it to multiple people at once. This has allowed others outside of my team to be able to communicate to everyone on my team efficiently. If you are using Google chat, what's stopping you?
Pros Google chat is used every single day within my organization. It is a quick and efficient way to be able to easily communicate with others. I love that you were able to search chats, if you choose to archive them, within your Gmail inbox. I also use it a lot to share images with colleagues. I use it on my phone and on my computer and it's very quick and efficient. It is also used frequently by our team to do any video conferencing.
Cons Honestly, I don't have any cons about this software. I have never experienced any glitches or problems with it and it always operates smoothly.
April 30, 2019
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
March 27, 2019

“Simply works”

ProsTalking to colleagues behind firewalls at their work is made simpler with g-chat. Because Google is getting more ingrained into the business culture, asking for advice or simple corresponding with people outside of my own company's network is that much easier when both parties can use the same chat service instead of passing slower emails back and forth.
ConsMy understanding is that you must utilize chat from within Gmail. This is fine generally speaking, but does make the experience unlike that of using messenger by facebook when you want to interact with many people at once or view past conversations quickly. The searching functionality is also baked into email search which makes it hard to find things that were in chat but not email without looking up specific search filters you wouldn't use elsewhere. So not hard, but annoying at times.
March 27, 2019
February 13, 2019

“Google Chat keeps our team informed”

OverallIt has been very beneficial for us to use Google Chat within our tech consortium. We can reach anyone at anytime. If the person you message is unavailable or offline, they will see the message when they come back online.
ProsGoogle Chat (Hangouts) is very easy to use! I am one of seven members of a technical consortium for our local schools and we use a group chat between the seven of us to relay problems and ask questions to one another. I have able to see the Google Chat no matter where I have been. Google Chat has become Google Hangouts. Google Chat only did texting where as now that it is Google Hangouts, we can do video conferencing as well.
ConsThe only complaint I have is that when I am using this for texting a coworker and they don't have respond. I wish there was a way to send a "buzz" to alert that a message is waiting for a response.
February 13, 2019
Gabriel D.
Finance
Consumer Goods, 10,001+ employees
November 28, 2018

“Making office communication easier”

ProsGoogle Chat is a necessity in the large office I work for. It allows everyone in the room to communicate without the need to physically get up and walk around. The ability to insert screenshots, gifs, and group chats are some functionalities that are included in this program. There is also the option to perform video and audio calls as well. A record of all chats can be found in your Google account - they can be deleted there as well.
ConsI would like to see the option to attach files to a chat. Instead of emailing the file to a coworker it would be nice to just drag and attach a document. I would also like to have to ability to search through a chat using the CTRL + F command. I usually have to scroll through walls of messages in order to find something that was communicated to me hours or days before.
November 28, 2018
Victor J.
Productor de música
Internet, 201-500 employees
November 6, 2018

“A chat window every email should have”

OverallIt had saved me from time to time, when other chats and text platforms crash I can always rely on it, and since most of my colleagues and employees use Gmail, I can always contact them through the chat really fast. Lately, I've been using it a lot to organize my agendas and making last minute appointments that can be a bit slow through other platform.
ProsI love the fact that is so light on your computer ram and proccesor, lately many email services are really heavy for the internet explorer you use (safari, google chrome, opera) and having such a light chatbox over your email its a really sweet experience,you can be talking with a friend like you would on any other platform while sending an important business email.
ConsMaybe t's a bit hard to silence it if you need to focus on your emails, but aside from that is not such a big deal, its really nice and has some really cute emoticons.
November 6, 2018
Internet, 11-50 employees
August 23, 2018

“Free & Fast group chats available for small companies”

OverallWe have Google G-suite account which help's us to keep everybody on the Google chats platform on internal office communications. And the App helps to be online all the time. Have been using this for more than a year, and seems we don't need any paid apps to switch to, Chats has all the required functionalities which we need.
Pros- It's by Google and hence no need to create any new accounts :) - It's fast and the new update on the android app is also amazing. - it has integration with hangouts which provides free voice and video calls - Basically it is a competitor to chat apps like slack, Ryver, etc - and had done quite a decent job and improvising over the time. - Has options of creating groups called as rooms where we can discuss on particular topic and can be referred anytime in future. - Recently they activated the edit option which is cool.
Cons- Can keep or add a few new features like read recipients - Also, multiple file upload option is missing - Drag and drop option is missing - which I think is a big gap.
August 23, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 27, 2019

“Easy to use product for keeping connected”

OverallDecent chat option. I wish there was more functionality but it is free so what are you gonna do? :)
ProsHow easy the product is to use. You login and boom, you are chatting. That in itself is the best part.
ConsI wish that I could move the chat box from outside my email screen. Then I could minimize my email while still chatting.
August 27, 2019
Sam H.
Resident Director
May 20, 2019

“Stay Connected with Colleagues!”

OverallDue to not having to set up as many meetings or make phone calls, my work through the day is seamless. I can communicate my progress and ask questions, and those I'm trying to get ahold of can use this tool like a texting feature and can communicate when it's best for them. If I can't respond back, this tool is not disruptive and I don't feel like I need to put everything down to respond.
ProsI love that I can be working on several different projects and can instantly communicate with colleagues or teammates about those projects, or ask my supervisors a quick question without picking up the phone. With how quickly everything moves in my office, the ability to connect quickly with those I work with is incredibly necessary. Google Chat/Hangouts makes it easy to not forgot about things and helps me work with fewer meetings/phone calls interrupting the flow.
ConsI can't think of anything I don't love! I'd say that the group hangout feature could be easy to use but even that's not super hard to figure out.
May 20, 2019
Real Estate, 51-200 employees
September 22, 2019

“Quickly & Effectively Communicate with Teammates on G-Chat”

OverallI use gchat mostly at work, but I have also used it through my personal email. My company uses Google for email, so I frequently use gchat, sheets, docs, and more.
ProsI like how I can quickly communicate with teammates in the same window as Gmail. Sometimes the things I need to communicate don't necessarily require an email to be sent. I like that I can ask small/simple questions quickly, and receive responses just as fast.
ConsHonestly... nothing. I love that I can access it anywhere (phone/computer) and how simple it is to use. My only small suggestion would maybe be a more organized/efficient way to organize and start g-chat group chats. My manager has made group chats before, and for some reason they sometimes don't show up, or I need to go into a separate tab/window to see what was said.
September 22, 2019
Photography, 1001-5000 employees
November 12, 2018

“Google Chat”

OverallFaster than emailing, easier than texting, nicer than calling a client! I can chat with my clients while checking email or using Hangout, Drive, etc. It is not the most professional way of communication, but it gets the job done.
ProsGoogle Chat is a great way for me to communicate with clients. It's a quick and efficient way to run ideas by them and get input. It certainly is faster than emailing - just as long as the client is already online (a nice feature of Chat; you can see when they are available).
ConsThe file sharing concept is not as good as it could be, in my opinion. After attaching a file, you can't simply send it in the chat. It creates a link that opens in a new tab when clicked, which to me is a hassle. Overall, though, Chat is a nice feature on Gmail and I use it daily.
November 12, 2018
Barbara G.
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
September 21, 2019

“Great way to quickly communicate!”

OverallThis is another win for the Google Suite tools. I will continue to use chat as a form of communication to my contacts!
ProsThis is another win for Google. I have used chat many times versus Facebook or text. If I see that someone from my contacts is online while using email, we can use chat. I also like that we have a record of these conversations for future reference if necessary.
ConsI have had to turn off chat a few times because it's too easy to abuse and can be a time waster. This is a personal preference, but overall I have no complaints.
September 21, 2019
Zavud B.
Master Student
Environmental Services, 501-1000 employees
August 7, 2019

“Review for Google Chat”

ProsGoogle Chat is my favorite tool to have daily communications with my colleagues. I have been using it for almost a year now and I am fully satisfied with its functionality. There are so many things that I love about the software. The thing that I love most about the software is its simplicity. I cannot imagine a simpler chat tool than Google Chat. It only takes you a few seconds to create an account if you already have a google account. The main reason why I prefer Chat to its alternatives is that it never slows you down even when you have multiple apps run in background. It always runs smoothly and saves you a lot of time unlike its alternatives out there.
ConsThe only thing that I dislike about the tool is that sometimes it shows some of your contacts as "available/online" even though they are not. Therefore, you might stay in front of your computer waiting for an answer from your colleague because the tool shows them as available even though they are offline.
August 7, 2019
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees
July 31, 2019

“a google suite chat tool that is best suited for non tech teams”

Overallit is best suited for non teams where they don't want to shell out additional costs for a premium version of slack and they already have G suite with them. In our case we had to abandon G Chat and go back to slack as that suited our needs better.
Prosthere is no special set up involved. every user present in gsuite has access to the google chat hangouts. anybody can administrate it and no special knowledge is required. it has very high reliability and almost zero down time
ConsIt is poorly designed in many ways. while screensharing the bottom is covered by a gray bar making it nearly annoying and almost impossible to do code sharing or team debugging. there is no option to mute others during a video call or an audio conference except by the host which means you are subject to the noises from everybody. The readability and themes of the chat bar are rather unimpressive too.
Alejandro B.
CTO & Co-Founder
Internet, 11-50 employees
July 27, 2019

“Group chat with no extra cost if you already pay for G Suite”

ProsNice and clean UI. Great search capability. Easy to set up web hooks to notify in specific channels
ConsDoes not allow threading, too few ready made integrations with common working tools, compared to slack
July 27, 2019
Lauren M.
Wedding & Events Manager
Events Services, 51-200 employees
July 2, 2019

“Google Chat for Business ”

OverallOverall, we are very happy with this product, and will continue using it.
ProsWe use google chat constantly. It is a great source of communication within our company. Our employees are spread out across ~3 acres so being able to communicate while property is very important. I love that the chat will tell you if the user is active, or the last time they were active. It will also email the receiver if the individual is not at their desk and able to receive chats.
ConsI think there should be a time out feature. If a user is not actively using their email, the chat should say they are unavailable. We have had individuals leave their emails/chat up for hours, and the chat said they were still active.
July 2, 2019
Internet, 501-1000 employees
March 21, 2019

“Could do better. Not the best chat app I've used.”

OverallI feel Google Chat has a lot of room to improve.
ProsI was introduced to Chat by Google few months back. First impressions: it looked better than the last chat application I was using. It has a beautiful interface. Best feature I would say is it's bots. Google has a well documented articles on how to create bots for Chat as well. Its easy to deploy the code using the Google cloud. You dont even need an editor. You can use the online editor provided by Google. It implores developers like me to delve into developing bots to use perhaps to help teams manage tasks, etc.
ConsIts when I started using the app I saw it was a bit lackluster. Developing bots was easy but using them felt like spamming in a group chat. Found some bugs. Like when I have the desktop app on. If I have my Gmail open I still get the hangouts chat window popping up. Also had issues where the app crashed when I was updating. It should have better integration with other Google apps like maybe the tasks which shows up on Gmail.
March 21, 2019
Georgia W.
Architect
Architecture & Planning, 51-200 employees
February 19, 2019

“Good way to share content/communicate”

OverallUsed for collaboration on presentation materials.
ProsThe interface of google chat is probably what I like most about the program. It's an intuitive, clean design, much like the Gmail interface. I appreciate that it's easy to start/set up. It's easy to see which colleagues are online, set up different "teams" and name them to set up different conversations. You can also share visual content/links appear as images much like facebook. The integration with Google sheets/docs etc. make it easier to collaborate and therefore superior to slack.
ConsThe advantages also ironically present disadvantage - the lack of desktop application and the fact that it is so synced up with Google/online account. You might risk sharing your inbox when launching it publically to work on something with a team. It's a relatively minor "con," compared to all the "pros."
February 19, 2019
Design, 11-50 employees
September 9, 2019

“Just as great as all the other Google products!”

OverallOverall, our team communicates with ease and makes everyone very accessible, even if working remotely. We also love using the video conferencing feature since we don't get a lot of face time when we work in different locations.
ProsGoogle Chat is so convenient! You can go from instant messaging to a video conference within seconds, and it even allows multiple participants and screen sharing - features which other companies charge a lot more for. And what's even better, it's already part of our inboxes, so it's constantly within reach (or you can download a separate app if you prefer).
ConsNothing! It comes with the Google Suite, is easy to use, has several features, and the quality is superb. What's not to like?!
September 9, 2019
Katrina L.
Event Specialist
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
May 9, 2019

“A way to chat over email”

ProsThis feature was my go to chat tool while on my computer with my email open. I believe it has since been changed to Hangouts. My kids used Hangouts on their phones to send me messages which came to my Google chats. I haven't used it since 2017, I began checking, sending and receiving text messages through Hangouts on my phone/tablet. You can see all the people you are linked to or chat with in a box on the left. The contacts and chat box are often beneath the Gmail tabs.
ConsThere was nothing to dislike, you could chat and check your email at the same time. This feature was free, and allowed you to chat with contacts. You can't go wrong.
May 9, 2019
Paper & Forest Products, 11-50 employees
December 9, 2018

“Easy breezy team collaboration through G Chat”

OverallI always have Google Chat open on my computer as my job involves a lot of teamwork and being up-to-date on the progress of our various projects. Chat is effectively designed, since it does not distract from the actual work but also keeps me on top of any important messages and updates.
ProsGoogle Chat is amazing when collaborating and bouncing off ideas with the team members sitting all over the world. The best part is that it is highly integrated with all other Google apps which I most commonly use to run my small business.
ConsGoogle Chat is easy to get set up on and there isn't anything which I dislike about the cute chat box which springs up at the corner of the screen, not too distracting but also keeps you up-to-date with messages.
December 9, 2018
Kenneth C.
Digital Marketing Specialist
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
May 30, 2018

“Great communication software that is versatile and great for work environments”

OverallI found Google Chat to be very easy to use and versatile enough to use in work environments or for personal use. The fact that you can use this on your phone with the mobile app also makes it a good option to stay connected and communicate without having to write an email each time.
ProsGoogle Chat is great for communicating with team members and other professionals using a Gmail account. There is also a mobile app that makes it very versatile to use between desktop and mobile devices and to stay connected.
ConsGoogle Chat does exactly what its supposed to and there are no big cons to this software. With that said, I wish there were more users who would use this to make it easier to communicate with anyone with a Gmail account.
May 30, 2018
Telecommunications, 501-1000 employees
August 25, 2019

“Good for secular users.”

ProsSimplicity. Minimum functionality. Good for secular.
ConsI observed some issue's, there was situations when on group some users receive messages with delay. Not intuitive searching
August 25, 2019
Jenn M.
Entertainment, Self-employed
August 14, 2019

“Delivers exactly as described”

OverallI don't ever think of Google chat as my first choice, but I appreciate that it's available and am not upset about using it when the other party suggests it. Perfectly serviceable!
ProsGoogle's Chat function is perfect for a video or chat conversation when you do have your contact's gmail email, and not their other info like their phone number or Facebook profile. I've never had significant connection or lag issues.
ConsJust that, as far as I know, it requires both parties to have gmail and be using that particular contact. For video chat I'd rather be using Facebook or Skype and for texting I'd rather be using text messaging (phones) or Facebook messenger, but sometimes those others aren't options, in which case Google chat fills in the gap perfectly.
August 14, 2019
Jesse L.
Intake Department Manager
Law Practice, 11-50 employees
May 22, 2019

“Google Chat is a finely integrated feature in an already powerful suite of tools.”

OverallEasy, convenient chat function within G Suite.
ProsI use Chat almost every day within Gmail. It is an easy way to communicate with friends and colleagues from within my web browser, and since I always have my gmail window open, it is easy to see when I get a new message. The software is also integrated into mobile as well, so I can still keep the conversation going while away from the computer.
ConsI am disappointed to learn that Google is discontinuing Hangouts in 2020. I will still be able to chat within gmail, which is what I primarily use, but with the discontinuation of Hangouts, it will make it difficult to chat outside of the gmail window.
May 22, 2019
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2019

“Team collaboration and conversing in one place!”

ProsThe Google Suite Chat is pretty handy. It allows our marketing and sales teams to collaborate in real time and converse without using any other IM or chat tools out there. We are primarily GSuite users anyway and we depend on Gmail all day long, so having a centralized place to be able to collaborate and chat is ideal. We can direct message each other, collaborate, create custom groups, From direct messages to group conversations, Chat helps our teams collaborate easily and efficiently.
ConsNot much negative to say about the chat feature, perhaps that it might need an aesthetic facelift sometime in the near future.
April 24, 2019
Translation and Localization, 11-50 employees
April 5, 2019

“Great Program for Work and Professional Development ”

OverallOverall, a very positive experience. The app should be advertised better.
ProsI use this program every day to collaborate with my team. It is easy to use and cost effective. I love the separate app that I downloaded on my phone. I turn notifications on and off depending on my office hours. The app is right in my email, so I can read emails and follow along in drafts while chatting.
ConsI have trouble sending attachments on the chat and sending screen shots. Many people don't know about or don't prefer to use this chat which is a shame because it really is easy to use. Please make it possible to write and see video calls as well (like the Appearin app).
April 5, 2019
Curran M.
Videographer & Assistant Media Director
Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees
December 19, 2018

“Evolved to perfection.”

ProsI have been using Google Chat for a very long time, and boy has it gone a long way. From just starting out as a simple IM system in emails, it has blown up into its very own app, while retaining the simplicity of its origin. This is great because it's so easy to use, and always will be - while also adding features at my disposal in case I ever need them - and I have.
ConsWhenever I do decide to test out a new feature, such as the video chat system, file share or etc., I have to do a little bit of research in how I do it but that's a given with any software. The in-app tutorials are a huge help too and don't overcomplicate it.
December 19, 2018
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
December 5, 2018

“Free online chat in real time”

ProsI like that it is free, that it shows status (active/inactive), and that it offers desktop notifications. Recent features include emojis. Conversations can be archived as well, which is helpful.
ConsThere is a "..." icon that appears when another person is typing, but since they are on their desktop it is likely that they are typing something else and not into the chat box so that can be misleading. I also wish there was a way to acknowledge a message without typing a response similar to the new feature on iphones that allows one party to hover over a text message and send back a thumbs up, thumbs down, "haha", exclamation points, etc.
December 5, 2018
Mike W.
Director of Enrollment and Community Development
September 5, 2019

“G Suite Chat is Perfect!”

OverallWe have fun conversation as a team and can also ask questions without clogging up the email inbox. Chat is so helpful for collaboration!
ProsI love Google Suite's option for Chat. I love that you can start video or audio connection points right from the chat. The emojis are fun and the notifications are helpful as I collaborate with teammates. You can also insert pictures and gifs! I also love the group creation option so that you can spur on a work team.
ConsI do wish that the gifs were integrated like other chat options. That would save time versus having to go to a browser add-on and find a gif and then copy and paste it in the chat.
September 5, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
August 7, 2018

“Simple chat function that is easy to use”

Overall- Free chat functionality - Improved collaboration in work and personal communication - Seamless synchronization of chats across devices
ProsGoogle chat comes free with any Google account, which is a huge pro for me. It syncs with all my contacts and makes it easy to find both existing and new contacts. It is also accessible across different platforms and devices, making it even more convenient
ConsGoogle chat does not allow attaching of files to chats, unlike other applications such as Skype. But other than that, it is great because it does not need re-installation to devices, only need to log in to your Google account on the device.
August 7, 2018
Diego C.
Technical Director
Online Media, 1-10 employees
July 20, 2019

“Bare-bones business chat”

OverallI advised to adopt or just adopted it from day one, I like most of the features that are in competing products but seriously Chat is free and a chat is just a chat, you can have your business chat on WhatsApp if you want to!
ProsG Suite Hangouts Chat is the way to go for business chat if you are a Google's customer, since it brings all the fundamental features of a business chat with no added costs, it's simple enough to be learned quickly and move from competing products in no time.
ConsStarting from the confusing name (Hangouts and Hangouts Chat? Really?), Chat is a mixed-feelings product, clearly with a great potential but for same reason kept in a condition of understatement to say the least. The usability of the apps is not yet great (surprising given it's Google's) and some features are really lacking (deleting a room or disabling link preview should be there, not talking about more complex features that might be important in a business context).
July 20, 2019
Ken P.
Program Manager
Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees
May 18, 2019

“Google Chat is Easy to Use”

OverallI use chat multiple times throughout a typical workday. I find it easy to use per the reasons cited under what I like most about this software.
ProsGoogle chat is built in to Gmail, which my company uses as our email system. Having it built in, makes it easy to access, easy to view who is active at any given time, and easy to enter links and pull others into a conversation.
ConsThere are times where email will show as connected chat will not load. However, to be fair this seems to only happen when I'm offsite using coffee shop or retail store wireless, so it could be a problem with wireless, not chat.
May 18, 2019
Marisa P.
Lawyer
Legal Services, 1001-5000 employees
October 23, 2018

“Don't tell professors but this is the best thing that happened to law students”

ProsLaw School can be quite stressful. Professors call on you anf you have to brief cases. Well, sometimes you are not always prepared for every class and you dont want to be embarassed when called on. Google chat to the rescue! We did not cheat as our morals are better than that, but we did utilize it to beg students to volunteer. By doing this, we along with Google Chat saved hundreds of law students' self esteems. Very easy to use and very easy to add members to group chats.
ConsI really cannot find any criticisms. Every experience was a positive one.
October 23, 2018
Accounting, 1001-5000 employees
September 28, 2018

“G Suite Chat Perfect Platform for Quick Messaging ”

ProsBy far the most commonly used online chat platform and is a great tool as it is integrated with gmail. It's so easy to reach out to people and have quick conversations through Chat. You can chose whether or not you want to be visible to other users when you don't want to be disturbed and can easily see who else is online should you want to contact another user.
ConsThe only downside of G Suite Chat is that some VPN networks do not allow the use G chat which makes it difficult to connect to your contacts if you are unable to access the platform from your internet server.
September 28, 2018
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
August 24, 2018

“I use this daily to instant message staff!”

OverallThe chat feature is great for my business to communicate with other employees. It saves on having formal face to face meetings when collaborating on a project. I feel that it is more secure and user-friendly than Whats App.
ProsI use gmail as my email provider and integrating a chat feature is great! I use chat to communicate and send files to co-workers when working on a project. Being able to instant message someone to ask questions is great versus a long email chain. All of the chat's are stored which is a wonderful tool if I need to look back at a conversation.
ConsAll of my needs are met with this chat tool with the exception of knowing if someone actually read my message. I believe this is just a bug however it would be nice if the message stated if the person actually saw the message.
August 24, 2018
Wholesale, 501-1000 employees
June 19, 2018

“Use it for smaller chats that email is not necessary for”

ProsI live for gchat. As a graphic designer I'm constantly sending screen shots to ask small questions about certain things. It's easy to log on chat the person you need and attach files for their review. For those questions that don't need it's own email. Also allows for video chat. Performs well connecting to your google drive and gmail and everything google has to offer!
ConsI have no cons for this product It is an IM system and it acts exactly as it is supposed too. Some things like Skype take a while for a picture to load, and gchat you throw the picture right in the chat and it shows up!
June 19, 2018
Jeffrey A.
Marcom Manager
June 4, 2018

“An Easy and Convenient Way to Communicate”

ProsIt's free, it's easy, and it's fast. It's not super complicated because it doesn't need to be. If you're looking for something with few more options, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. If you need an intuitive and speedy way to talk with coworkers? This is your tool. Most places use the Google Suite so it's really a no-brainer. Notifications are non-intrusive, is mobile friendly, and makes interaction with other Google Services a breeze.
ConsHonestly, there's not really anything negative to say about it. It's an extremely basic tool that does what it says.
June 4, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
July 31, 2019

“Makes office gossip easy and is a great way to communicate with your team without interrupting them”

ProsGoogle chat is the thing that keeps me sane in the office. It makes office gossip easy (sorry, sometimes you just need to chat about someone who brought tuna for lunch!) but more importantly, it's an easy way for me to ask coworkers questions and/or provide them with information WITHOUT having to interrupt them, as they can check their chat at any time.
ConsThe only thing I don't like is that it can be hard to search and find. I wish that there was a way to pin important things (like a URL or attachment) to the top of the chat for easy finding.
Consumer Services, 201-500 employees
July 31, 2019

“Easy Interoffice communication ”

ProsI like the ease of communication with my colleagues. "G-Chat", as we called it, is very easy to use and navigate.
ConsThe only thing that I didn't like about chat, is that new friends had to be "invited" and messages needed to be approved before they were able to send messages. And even when they would send the invite, sometimes it was hidden. I'm assuming that was a glitch but it was annoying. This would interfere with time sensitive issues, as a result I would have to leave my desk and personally let them know I sent the message and vice versa.
Hospitality, 51-200 employees
April 12, 2019

“G Suite Chat”

OverallI Would highly recommend companies especially small companies to purchase G Suite and utilize the chat service that comes with it, we have been benefited to using the service.
ProsGSuite Chat is very efficient chat messaging service that comes with the package of G suite. We constantly use google hangouts which is formerly known as G Suite Chat, we can communicate with my department employees effectively, and the connection is secure and fast. G Suite Chat enables us to communicate with anyone within the organization or outside of organization, the chat services opens within google browser, we can add people, see who's online, and also most importantly video call via internet, This is probably the most important aspect of communicating via a video call since management folks. G Suite Chat does not take up much RAM space.
ConsI have not had any issues using G Suite Chat recently.
April 12, 2019
Ashley D.
Database Coordinator
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
February 4, 2019

“G-Chat is so helpful”

OverallI think that G-Chat is fantastic and is an overall easy to use and time saving application associated with the Google Suite.
ProsThis product has made it possible for the company I work for to have an instant messaging tool automatically installed as we are a G-Suite organization that uses Google mail. We have multiple buildings on our site and it makes it so much easier and more efficient to communicate quickly.
ConsIt really isn't a con, but I find that the notifications don't always go away. If I read the message, but don't click on it to reply right away it shows as new.
February 4, 2019
Charlie A.
Composite Product Specialist
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
January 25, 2019

“Everything you would need in chat for personal or professional use”

OverallWe used chat to keep our small team connected. We were able to quickly send messages and document back and forth for quick and easy revisions and collaboration.
ProsIt's easy to use. You can log into it with your existing Google account and can quickly find contacts to chat with. Sending text, image, links, etc. is all possible. Mobile and browser chat is supported, meaning that you never have to miss a message.
ConsThere really isn't much to dislike. It does exactly what you need it to, it's easy to use. I don't see any downside here unless you're just against using Google products.
January 25, 2019