Spectrum Ratings

Overall

About Spectrum

Spectrum is a complete, web-based construction ERP solution with leading-edge tools for accounting, project management, equipment and materials management, service management, document control, HR and payroll, inventory, reporting and much more. Spectrum allows contractors to work in real time, no matter where work takes them. Learn more about Spectrum

David L.
Sr. Staff Accountant
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1001-5000 employees
November 7, 2017

“Full featured software package”

OverallAs with any large, complex and flexible software package like Spectrum, it can be rather complicated to set up and train users in operating it. We have been overall pleased in using it since we switched back in 2009. During this time our business has just about tripled in size and we do not feel as if we have out grown it.
ProsLots of modules available with a fairly robust implementation, continuing active additions of new features and improvements, document imaging allows easy access to attached documents, security rights for employees can be adjusted down to individual menu selections if necessary, customer support is very good and transparent (we are notified if something doesn't work as expected with suggested workarounds - even if we didn't report the issue), and the ability to create custom reports in Crystal.
ConsWhile subscriptions for updated US and state income tax tables are available, local income tax tables are not. When a sales/use tax code is entered into the screen, it cannot be marked inactive if it is no longer used (there are some other setups with the same issue). If a report has been previewed or exported in one form (pdf, for example), it cannot be immediately exported in another (such as Excel) without re-running the report. While most reports run quickly, there are some that can take a while and having to wait the additional time for the same information can be frustrating.
November 7, 2017
Lora M.
AR
December 4, 2018

“From an AR Perspective ”

OverallOverall Spectrum is a time saver. It has helped bring project management into the loop of being able to resolve customer issues. The best part is it has allowed me to be able to work from home two days a week for a year now!
ProsThe navigation make it so you can figure out what you need to do next with a minimum amount of training on how to use the system. The customizable reports are a great asset. Billing reports are easy to pull together.
ConsDraw Request is my least favorite in this system. When you open draw request it shows you in the upper right in financials you have previous work. The total schedule of values is NOT showing. If you have amounts in both this period and materials stored the system will not give you a total of combined for the draw. Also when you are in the draw the entire line needs to highlight while scrolling down for the line you need. It gets very frustrating at times. When something is entered into job cost under the wrong phase, there needs to be a way to change the phase and not have to do multiple entries for negative to to incorrect phase and a positive to the correct phase. That would be ha huge time saver.
Mary R.
Accounting Manager
April 24, 2018

“10 years and still going strong”

OverallOur go live date with Spectrum was 4/2008. Yes, we've been using the core accounting program for 10 years. We've also added other modules that help us do our business efficiently. Over the past 10 years our company has more than doubled in the number of employees, gross sales and net income. 2017 was the best year in the 70 year history of the company. I can honestly say that Spectrum has played a large role in helping us attain this level of success. With this software, the amount of information that is right at our fingertips is amazing!
ProsThe software is user friendly. There are plenty of help menus if you get stuck. The software is constantly being updated and often the updates are in response to customer requests. The document imaging feature and access to a variety of reports has greatly reduced the amount of paper necessary to run our business.
ConsThe cost is the biggest issue. The annual fee to go to the cloud is several times more than the cost if you provide your own server. Although there are many benefits and additional features that we'd love if we went to the cloud, it's just too much money for a regional independent contractor to spend.
Jill M.
3.5/5
July 23, 2013

OverallI am employed by a large, heavy civil construction contractor in Oregon. I was hired five years ago in the payroll department, and Spectrum was the software that this company was already using. In the past, I had used a construction software called Foundation which was exceptional at job costing materials by piece versus hourly wage. Spectrum's latest upgrade to the new version 14 has had some major changes in the payroll and human resource module, and has taken some time to get used to. I found that the basic data entry screens are easy to use but it's taken more time to locate where the functions are than I had hoped. If our company had invested in having on-site training prior to the upgrade, I believe these changes would've been easier on all of our employees. One of our employees did attend the Seattle conference but she was disappointed that there was not more hands-on learning and training, and thought that our company should have received a team training session prior to the upgrade, as well. Our payroll, human resource, purchasing department, contract administration, and accounts payable departments have all requested additional training with this latest upgrade so that they can use Spectrum with confidence, and complete their daily tasks faster on a regular basis. I am awaiting several changes that our company has requested from Dexter and Chaney's support team via telephone and multiple emails. The human resource module needs some serious work in terms of versatility. I am still hoping to take a crystal reports training class in order to create reports in Spectrum, rather than exporting everything into an Excel spreadsheet and spending hours manipulating the reports to get the outcome that our company required for individual, specialized reports in payroll and human resources. The project management module also has one grave error in changing the appearance, flexibility, and directory for creating and maintaining transmittals. This particular flaw has cost our company a minimum of 5 hours per week in additional office clerical hours just to keep up the creating, sending, and scanning of all documents through transmittals. That's very upsetting to a fast-passed construction company that processes between 75 and 100 transmittals per week! The largest advantage I've seen since this last upgrade is that the system works faster on the Internet and I am able to access Spectrum from home.
July 23, 2013
July 10, 2018

“I am the administrator for Spectrum in our company and overall the Experience has been very good!”

OverallEase of administration and our accounting team rarely has any issues with the software
ProsThe support team is amazing. They are extremely helpful and are good at fixing the annoying bugs and getting to the root causes of our problems. The accounting and hr side of the software works extremely well and I have very few if any complaints or issues that I have to fix or call support for.
ConsThe project manangement side of the software was never really completed so its less than impressive. But I think on the positive side since Viewpoint has purchased Spectrum I think that integrating it with their Team software will make a huge difference in this section!

By Viewpoint on July 13, 2018
We think our customer support team is amazing, too. Thank you! You¿re absolutely right about our project management focus moving to the Viewpoint Team platform, which is now integrated with Spectrum and has a product development roadmap that will open up a lot of new PM functionality to Spectrum/Team users.
Joseph G.
November 1, 2018

“Spectrum 14.24”

OverallLike all programs that have a significant number of features, the more your staff learns about the software the better the ROI. The user interface has a lot going on and can be overwhelming at first. However, there is a logic to it and once learned a diverse array of features can be accessed quickly.
ProsThe ability to access many features from one screen. The connectivity of features on screen. For example, if a job is displayed, all of the customer information is available as well. No need to add software to each workstation, software runs within a browser (I've used Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and my cell phone browser, I understand other browsers are supported as well) All reports can be emailed right from the display screen.
ConsMany of the reports must be customized to meet user needs. Some features are not located in an intuitive place. Financial statement writer is basic and pretty weak.
November 1, 2018
Karen L.
July 16, 2018

“We have been with Spectrum since 1997 (when it was Forefront). This software is a workhorse!”

OverallEase of use and great support!
ProsI like how easy this program is to use. If I can't find the report I need, I can easily export to Excel or Crystal Reports. The document imaging module saves us time when we need to review invoices or other documentation later. When I have issues, the support team is right there and usually can fix the problem while we are on the phone. It is rare for us to have an open ticket.
ConsThere are some differences between modules. When you exit a previewed report, some take you back to the site map while others take you back to the report page so you can adjust and run again if necessary. Consistency would be nice. It isn't a big deal, it could save a few steps.

By Viewpoint on August 6, 2018
You have truly seen the evolution of the software, going all the way back to the Forefront days. Wow! Thank you for your support through the years, Karen. We really value your partnership.
July 16, 2018
Lesley L.
Sr. Project Coordinator
November 2, 2017

“Four years and counting”

ProsI have been using Spectrum V14 since it was released. I like the apps on the Site Map and the shortcuts menu. I train our project manager and project engineers on this software regularly and these two areas I think get used the most by our people. I promote these areas on a regular basis and encourage everyone to use the ones we have already created and also create their own.
ConsMy wish list would include a link to Outlook for ease of obtaining and maintaining a list of current contacts. Also, RSS feeds hardly ever get used, but links to actual websites would be a better feature. Also, insurance tracking feature is confusing when working between the vendor and the job-specific side. It would be very helpful if the Help Menu broke down the available features related to insurance and how each one can or should be used.
Joan H.
Business Manager

“Mixed feelings”

OverallCreate a book, something that can be highlighted, tabbed, notes written into it. Offer training in more cities, and more affordably.
ProsEasy to check status of payments, see and print POs, look at phase codes, relatively easy to enter pay applications.
ConsFor someone without a strong accounting background, the sequence of required events is not intuitive or readily apparent. Help queries turn up too much or too little, and don't help with that sequence of events. Can't create new reports without learning a whole new program, one that we hired people specifically to do at a previous job because of the complexity. Email reminders before trigger events would be nice (an email a month before a subcontractor's COI is set to expire, for example, instead of just holding up payment when an invoice is being processed). An app for field engineers to be able to create POs on their iPhones would be an awesome feature, but I don't know of any plans to add it.
Michelle J.
Project Accountant III
August 7, 2018

“Construction Software”

OverallI am a project accountant and have been a Spectrum user since 1996 when it was called ForeFront and this is the only construction software I've used. Overall I find the software easy to use. I've participated in training led by Spectrum trainers and their help and advise is invaluable. The ability to export data in different file types for analysis - exporting to excel file, data only is one I use regularly. We're also lucky to have an IT software support specialist with extensive Spectrum background who is able to provide SQL reports for those times when the standard reports and exports don't give us enough flexibility with the data for analysis.
ProsMost processes in Spectrum are intuitive for the user.
ConsAs a long time user of Spectrum, we have a heavily customized Job Cost Report. It's becoming more difficult to accommodate our custom needs as new versions are released.
August 7, 2018
PAULA H.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 employees
April 20, 2018

“Don't fix what isn't broken”

OverallSpectrum has continued to grow their products. They have a superb support department. The staff is fairly consistent with not a lot of turn-over. You get to know the people behind the scenes and build relationships with them and their network.
ProsMy favorite thing about Spectrum is that it continues to grow with our business. We have been Spectrum users for 25 years. In these 25 years Spectrum has been on the cutting edge of technology. We continue to get value from the updates and software collaborations.
ConsMy least favorite thing is it takes too long to get updates. I would like the easy updates to come out once a month. I realize this is not cost effective, but typically if there is anything I am disgruntled about it will show up in a future quarterly update.
April 20, 2018
Kathy B.
Accounting Specialist
July 9, 2018

“I have been a Spectrum user for 20+ years. I am in accounting and really like the program.”

ProsI like that it is very user friendly. It has easy to read reports. Our payroll is very complicated, yet Spectrum was able to handle our payroll without any special programming. I also love the document imaging. I can now look up everything from my desktop when I need to see a timecard, A/R invoice or A/P invoice.
ConsWhen writing reports sometimes it is very hard to find where the information is that you need. I think that BI is going to take care of this but you must be hosted by Spectrum, which we are not.

By Viewpoint on July 13, 2018
Thanks for your continued support over the years, Kathy! We appreciate you taking time to share your experiences using Spectrum, and it's great to hear that you're finding the document imaging feature useful.
Tina H.
3.5/5
August 8, 2013

OverallWe've been using Dexter & Chaney Spectrum (previously Forefront) for over 12 years; longer than I've actually been employed by the construction company I work for. We originally (and for many years) only used Spectrum for some basic accounting functions. After finally upgrading to the current version (we are currently on V13), we expanded our use of the software, utilizing the system on a much broader base - from purchasing and subcontracts, to projecting costs, and financial reporting/WIP. We have found that with the increased functionality came increased training needs. We had project managers that had never used the system previously, and suddenly needing to do their projections directly in the system. Navigation has been a source of contention, but we think that version 14 shows some promise on being much easier to navigate for non-computer-savvy users. Computer savvy users have generally been able to quickly learn to use the system. The flexibility of the system does allow a large range of ways to enter and report information, and this has been a positive and a negative. It's a positive as we can choose to set up jobs in different ways depending on how we want to run and report that job. It's a negative in that there are so many choices to make, and that some users can get confused if given too many options. Customer support was initially very poor, as we were on a very old version that really wasn't being supported well. Since we've upgraded to a more recent version, customer support has improved. Custom programming can be very expensive, and we've encountered some issues that required custom programming, but Spectrum, for the most part, has enough functionality in place with the base product to meet most needs. I've used a few other systems, and Spectrum seems to be far better than the other ones I've used. I've heard others complain sometimes, but I think that some of that comes from confusion over the wide variety of options and the navigation difficulties (not being intuitive). All-in-all, I think it's a pretty good product.
August 8, 2013
Carrie L.
July 9, 2018

“Customer Service is by far the best. They are always able to help with even the simplest questions.”

ProsThe ability to pull out reports with any bit of information needed. I like that it show cost in real time as long as it is entered in a timely manner. The support that is offered is amazing someone is always able to help out.
ConsI wish there was a way to email out pay stubs. I also wish the quarterly tax reports were printed on to the approved IRS or State forms already(less mistakes and less time taken) The same goes for certified reports - contractor make us transfer the information on the state approved forms.

By Viewpoint on July 13, 2018
We really appreciate you mentioning our outstanding customer support team, Carrie. Thank you! The team takes a lot of pride in providing great service, and it¿s nice to be recognized.
Herman K.
December 4, 2018

“Best I've used in 26 years”

OverallI first starting using spectrum when it was called Forefront in 1992. I was working as a controller for a large mechanical and needed software that was easily usable and would perform without having to have a large in house IT staff. Since then, I have worked for four major companies and have brought along Forefront/Spectrum to each one of the companies for whom I have worked. It's a great product with fantastic backup. I've worked and looked at others along the way, but have always come back to Spectrum.
ProsDoes all I like it to do. Provides great information and is usable in multiple ways. Great trainers and support for any use/problem.
ConsCan't think of one. I've used others but they didn't match up for the construction industry.
Harris S.
VP
April 15, 2018

“Look elsewhere if you want a successful implementation with a company that cares. ”

OverallIf you want a successful implementation with a company that responds promptly and effectively when problems arise, look elsewhere! On our "go live week", Spectrum was not configured, AP and AR were not fully imported and the parts that were imported did not match up. Due to overworked Project Managers, it often took 2-3 days out to schedule a call time with them and no one from Spectrum senior leadership team seemed to care that our implementation was not proceeding successfully. We had to cancel the implementation and revert back to our previous accounting system (at substantial financial cost). I am currently waiting for my PM to update me on how they plan to take us live yet again with a detailed project plan so the above never happens again (Note: My PM never offered any suggestions here, I had to proactively reach out asking for a go-forward plan to keep them organized.) See below for all the struggles we have had with Spectrum. Also if you are transitioning from anyone other then the major accounting software systems, stay away! They promised that they had the past experience and knowledge to transition us from our current accounting software, Starbuilder, but when it came time to transition they had no one who knew how to do it. See "Cons" below for additional problems I will continue to update this post as things evolve.
Pros-None so far as they failed to take us live. -Competitive pricing -Great user community with a forum.
ConsCons: -Custom projects not delivered on time for "Go Live". At least 1.5 months behind schedule -Sales team would send a contract and then when we went to sign said they made a mistake and increased contract price. -Never provided solutions to problems. -Implementation specialist what tell us features about features that we would be using then come back to us and say those features are actually not included and would be additional. -Never told us when purchasing that future modules might not be available for self-hosted customers only to more pricey cloud hosted customers (2 are already not available for self-hosted) -PM teams are not proactive or reactive. -Concerns and problems are documented by PMs but are never reviewed or escalated to management. -The purchase of Dexter+Cheny by Viewpoint has hurt the customers as admitted to by employees and seen by users (Short staffed, reassigned positions, information not shared across teams/ companies. ) -Dexter Chaney/ VIewpoint has not once, without a fight, offered acceptable solutions and any problems caused by them. -User is billed for time spent by PM team to fix problems caused by Dexter Chaney/ VIewpoint -This list can go on for another 30 bullet points at least.
April 15, 2018
Cheryl H.
April 12, 2018

“Connecting the dots from field to upper management”

OverallCustomer support is impeccable. If you have an issue, they are very quick to respond. Really enjoy the Spectrum Network to reach out to other users and find out what helps them the most. Great community.
ProsSince going web based, Spectrum is much easier to use. The job info bar gives easy access to all areas of your job and instantly know where you are at with costs, revenue, etc. Being able to customize our reports has been very useful. Documentation and document imaging keep everything in one place and easy to navigate.
ConsWould like the Project Management module to be a little beefier and give better access to change how the forms and reports look, somewhat limited.
Melvin H.
Construction, Unspecified
2.5/5
November 14, 2013

“Spectrum - Great features but could be better”

ProsDocument imaging is truly built inside the software. The image storage was built inside every module for anything you want to scan. All of our AP (invoices, vendor contracts, Insurance Certs), AR (invoice supporting documents, MSA's), equipment files (titles, registrations), etc. were stored electronically and very easy to review. When approving AP, right inside the pre-check register I could review an electronic copy of any invoice making approval on the road very simple. There were also reports that could be run telling you when contracts were to expire, registrations were due, etc. The bottom line is that the designers not only listened to what the end users wanted, they also spent a lot of time making sure they designed it to make it easy for everyone. There are also a lot of user designed fields that allow you to customize things to fit your needs.
ConsWe had problems keeping the TB in balance. At least every three months, we had a transaction that only posted 1/2 of the entry, so when we ran a trial balance, it was out of balance (and the rebuild utilities wouldn't fix it), we then had to spend hours researching witch entry didn't post correctly, figure out the other side of the entry and then pay someone with backdoor access to recreate the missing entries. When we called Dexter and Chaney's support team, they had no answers as to why it happened; they would just help us figure out how to fix it (charged per hour). The financial report writer needs a lot of work. They do not support any of the better 3rd party systems like FRx, F-9, Hyperion, etc. Therefore, there was a lot of dumping to Excel and re-keying things into formats we could use. There was also zero drill-down capability. If you ran a TB and questioned what was in the line item, you had to run a detailed TB to see the detail. Then, if it came from another sub-ledger you had to run a report there to see the source document. Our implementation consultant was not very good; her training seemed poor and her knowledge of the workings of Spectrum were great, but she had no experience with the every day use of it, so I frequently pushed back on how it would work in the real world. Eventually she would concede that it would work better the way I proposed.
Recommendations to other buyersHire someone who has a very detailed knowledge of how it really works, then implement it. You should also find an IT consultant who can fix the bugs you will quickly discover without having to wait on Dexter and Chaney. Dexter and Chaney's help desk is very helpful, but if you have an urgent issue it may take them a day or so to fix it. We had a scanner issue, and it took 3 months and a replacement scanner (at their request, but our expense), only for Dexter & Chaney to tell us they had no idea and it couldn't be a problem on their side; it had to be our computers. This was completely false because the full image was there, just using their image reader only allowed us to see the first page.
November 14, 2013
Amy Z.
2.5/5
August 19, 2013

OverallOur business has two divisions - Commercial Construction and Service Maintenance. We're based in Pennsylvania and have been operating for about 28 years. The computer system we had been using prior to switching to Dexter + Chaney was outdated for our uses. After carefully reviewing all the options, Dexter + Chaney was high on our list. One of the main functions we were looking for was something that would tie together both divisions of our company. We liked what the sales team told us about the software, and it seemed to better suit our needs than the system we had. We were told it had modules that would make it possible to tie in both of our divisions, with great customer support, reports that were easy to use, and to meet all of our needs, etc. We started with Dexter + Chaney in 2005 (about 8 years ago), having high hopes that Spectrum (or Forefront as it was called at that point) could perform all the functions we were looking for, and more. We spent several months preparing for the change over/familiarizing ourselves with the screens/and inputting information. Every Vendor/Employee/Client had to be reentered manually, which was very monotonous, but relatively simple. Some of the modules were similar to the program we had used prior, but others were more difficult and required calls to support. It took us several months to feel comfortable using Forefront, and probably a year+ until we felt like we really had a decent grasp of it. Since we're a smaller business, we have the ability to notice problems with reports/programs more easily than a company with hundreds of employees. After we went live with Dexter Chaney we came across several issues, but attributed most of them to new user errors. As we have become more and more confidence with Spectrum, we have found several major bugs in the system that were unknown to Dexter + Chaney, or they had thought were resolved. On a few of these occasions, we had to really push for them to investigate and resolve the issues. One of the biggest problems we've seen is that the new Versions seem to be released before they are thoroughly checked, and there are repeat problems. We have received some good, and some lacking, customer support. There are several really knowledgeable reps who have helped us through our problems quickly. We have also spoken to other reps and management in support that have been very difficult, ignoring our concerns and refusing to listen or respond to our calls/emails. At one point, we were not getting updates on a problem and logged onto their website to see if anything new was posted for our issue. We didn't get an answer, but instead found a string of emails they had accidentally posted, making it clear that our problem wasn't being taken seriously on their end. Something as simple as calling in to support has proven to be a hassle since Dexter + Chaney only allows 3 people on the contact list, and we have 6 regular users. Some of the programs cannot be used to the full extent of what they are shown. Example: Payroll is set up so you can do multiple check sequences in one pay run for an employee. The problem is that it's not set up to calculate the correct taxes/deductions if you do this. If they are paying a tax/deduction that reaches the limit in the first check, it will also be taken out of the second check, and there's a possibility for the reports to be wrong. We purchased the Infolink module a few years ago to help us write reports in Excel using Database Query. We were told by the sales team that it would be easy to use and we could create reports with the exact information we wanted. The training we received on it barely covered the basics. It's far from easy to use, and many of the reports that come up cannot pull the requested information. Overall, I would say Dexter Chaney is average at best. We are able to use Spectrum for most functions, but not as easily as we were promised. Support in general is lacking, as is our confidence in the product any time there is an upgrade. It's not as good as we were led to believe.
August 19, 2013
July 10, 2018

“Good Construction Software ”

ProsWe were looking for a software with a service side and strong job cost all in one. Spectrum nails it! Ease of use. Endless custom report options. Ability to create custom dashboard apps. Great security features. All in the cloud!
ConsPurchasing add-ons to accommodate the project managers can get pricey, but there are a ton of options that integrate with Spectrum.

By Viewpoint on August 6, 2018
Thank you for being such a terrific advocate! It's great to see that you're getting so much value from the software. Also, we now have a native integration between Spectrum and our Team project management platform. We would be happy to give your project managers a demo if you like.
Alan B.
Software Support Analyst

“Spectrum Review”

ProsPros Job Cost module - heart and soul for operations - sufficiently deep as you would want to go. Great customer support - they KNOW their software and have been around for a while. Special Projects crew is very good as well. Business Intelligence will be awesome and starts to bring data analysis to 2018. Data Exchange - allows data to uploaded using Excel. (Timecards, Journal Entries, ect.)
ConsCons Pro IV software - clunky and old. Security setup is challenging and you need to know what you are doing. Reporting uses Crystal Reports which is very, very complicated.
Shelley D.
Project Coordinator
July 23, 2018

“If you have a strong team with good buy-in you will have success with this software.”

OverallMoving from a stand-alone accounting solution to an ERP system has had many benefits and I only see the benefits increasing with the merger/acquisition by Viewpoint.
ProsExtremely robust software with customization options. The software is flexible enough that you can grow it with your company and it can accommodate changes in your business.
ConsAt first it can seam like there are extra steps to perform tasks, but once you've used the software for a while you'll understand why. The controls are good and the software delivers accurate results when used properly. Thorough user training is critical.
July 23, 2018
Andy W.
July 24, 2013

OverallWe purchased Spectrum a few months ago, and have been very pleased with it - especially with regards to managing a group of companies all within the same software. We're a developer building single family homes in British Columbia, and we were looking for a solution that allowed us to go paperless in the office, and at the same time, be able to have a project management component that linked the job site to the office. We upgraded quite substantially from Simply Accounting and have overhauled all our processes to ensure that things could be automated as much as possible where it made sense to do so. We're due to go live on September 2nd, and the implementation has gone very well. The team has supported us and explained things clearly any time we were struggling. It has taken about 3 months in total, by committing to meet with them over the phone for around 6 hours per week. The IT desk and other staff members we speak to are all very knowledgeable and pretty much always available to speak to when we need it. We have been eagerly anticipating the v14 update so that Canadian taxes are now able to be handled, so I'm looking forward to a paperless future. Its a very powerful tool as long as it's used in the right way and is fed with the right information. If I were to point out negatives for our company specifically, we need to be able to do property management through this system - which there is no add on for. The workaround we chose to go with was to use accounts receivable to track these things. I can also see that if we were wanting to pull all the detail from Simply Accounting and move it all over, then the implementation process would have been very lengthy. Instead we transferred only summary balances forward. One frustration we had is that our check stock is not compatible with Spectrum and we got a very expensive quote for them to tweak the system to change the format of our checks.
July 24, 2013
Sharon L.
Payroll Specialist
December 5, 2018

“Spectacular”

ProsSpectrum is very easy to learn by the instructions they provide, when we got this program, our Boss quit, and left us hanging but we had to forge on without the person, so went to instructions they provided with program and guess what we figured it out and got our jobs done. It was not complicated to learn and that is what was great about it.
Consthe printing changed as the program got more upgraded, use to be able to print with one click now have to click 3 times to get our reports, so I don't like change too much.
December 5, 2018
July 26, 2018

“I am always learning something new with Spectrum!”

OverallI benefit daily from spectrum from payroll and certified payroll reports it really is helpful to get those reports from spectrum and every Contractor I have sent them to has excepted them. We also benefit from job costs and equipment costs management .
ProsWhat I like most about spectrum is it really is an all in one program and is always improving, also being able to pull reports on jobs and costs is very convenient and easy.
ConsCustomer support be a bit time consuming. There is so much to spectrum that it can be a bit overwhelming if you are a smaller company.
July 26, 2018
Lorie E.
Corporate Controller

“Spectrum Software”

ProsThe ease of getting data in and out of the system. Being able to download the data into Excel and Access to do reporting is invaluable. The introduction of the Web Services allowing data to flow in and out of Spectrum has changed the way we do our Project Management by allowing our PM's to stay in the project management software and bringing the data back into spectrum.
ConsThe non accounting users find the system hard to use. Downloading data into Excel needs to be updated to using more current versions of Excel.
Pam M.
Systems Development Manager

“Pam Manoloff”

OverallSupport for the Spectrum software as provided by the original DC support group is well above average. Their response time on basic to intermediate issues is nearly always instantaneous, and they aren't afraid to dive into the areas that are more complex. They just take a bit more time. And the culture of staff from product support to development to sales to professional services is aimed toward providing solutions.
ProsThe API's are amazing. They provide bi-directional interface with Spectrum allowing maximum efficiency for internal processes. The SQL environment creates a platform for dynamic reporting power enabling the ability to link Spectrum data tables with other databases as well. The intuitive navigation provides a user-friendly experience, and the browser based application eliminates laborious client based software maintenance processes.
ConsFor an asphalt manufacturer and unit price contractor, some of the tools available need to be developed further. They have a good start and for simple analysis situations they may be enough. However, if it sophisticated analysis you are after, there needs to be further development in these areas.
March 12, 2017

“Great Accounting Software ”

OverallI love this software! The report options are endless!
ProsFor years my company used Mas90. While it was a good software, we needed something geared more toward job costing and our service department, that could also handle the growth of the company. We have also recently ventured toward multi-state payroll, multi-company. We are able to switch companies with ease - no logging out!
ConsWe have been using Spectrum since 2012 but have only touched the surface with its functionality. However, there support staff is wonderful as well as their training options.
March 12, 2017

“Great Experience!”

ProsI am a big fan of Spectrum. My company has been on it for over two years now and we love it so far! The implementation process was as expected, a lot of work but totally worth it. The customer service they offer is great and very quick responses. It is rather expensive, but we have had a wonderful experience so far!
Consa little limited on the estimating software side of things, but they do partner with some other companies that you can use but the price you pay is definitely up there.
Aimee L.
July 17, 2018

“Overall the software is user friendly & offers a lot of tools.”

ProsI love the document imaging function. We've been able to reduce the amount of paper files in our office. Additionally, it is now much easier to access information quickly when needed. We use the cloud based program, which gives us a lot of flexibility - everyone is able to work from anywhere with an internet connection.
ConsThe standard reports leave a lot to be desired. I find it extremely frustrating that in many cases the only option is to write a report in a separate program.
July 17, 2018
Kevin T.
July 9, 2018

“Great software. Very user friendly. Customer support is outstanding. ”

ProsI like how there is pretty much a module to fit any user's needs. Whether it's Payroll, Equipment, Job Cost, or another area, Spectrum does a great job at connecting all modules into one system.
ConsSome modules receive more attention than others during major software updates. Some of the modules that we use the most don't often get updated with the significant changes that have been discussed with Spectrum support.

By Viewpoint on July 13, 2018
Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Our support team works hard to provide great service. Great to see that it gets noticed!
Nathan S.
Service Manager
November 6, 2017

“Powerful software that has improved our business”

ProsCloud platform allows anywhere access. We had several disjointed systems for document imaging, some billing functions, etc. With Spectrum, we were able to consolidate systems and introduce some much needed and improved processes for digital expense approval, time cards. Built on SQL we also implemented automated report functions that has saved lots of busy work. Customizable dashboards allow at a glance management by exception.
ConsComplex setup, detailed data import could improve, annual maintenance fees are significant as compared to our previous package. Work order system field technician module only allows the most basic system functions.

“Spectrum Rocks!”

ProsThe software is very user-friendly, even for our non-computer friendly field techs. I love the dashboard apps. Especially the ones used with the Employee Kiosk and Field Tech modules. We can set these up for our employees where they are never really "in" the software but still able to do their work. The software being cloud-based is an A++ - no software to install! The report options are endless! The customer service is out of this world! You cannot go wrong with Spectrum.
Steve C.
November 3, 2016

“From ComputerEase to Spectrum”

OverallMy primary concerns when looking for a new ERP platform were: 1) Integration with our HCSS and Command-Alkon software 2) Web-based platform that I could access just about anywhere 3) Intuitive for our people so the learning curve would be smaller 4) Better reporting options 5) Robust Job Costing
ProsWe have only been live for a month but so far Spectrum has lived up to its billing. Our people that use it daily have already remarked about how easy it is to use and how much time it is saving.
ConsSo far none other than self inflicted ones. What I mean by this is that our older system was a mess and conversion was made more difficult by that. I would put more time on the front end than you think you will need to make sure you are brining over as clean of data that you can. Additionally, the price was a little misleading at the beginning as the implementation can be anywhere from an additional 50% - 100% of the actual software cost. I think it is worth it 100% but just something to account for in your shopping and comparison process.
Recommendations to other buyersStart early, ask tons of questions, and get permission to talk to references who have switched from your platform to the new one (I talked to 2 different companies). These calls will do wonders for getting you ready in ways you didn't even know you needed.
November 3, 2016
Ryne L.
June 4, 2019

“Spectrum for Construction Project Management”

OverallWe use Spectrum on a daily basis for our accounting/project management software. Once the reports are honed to what you need and you learn where everything is, it takes care of everything we need it to.
ProsVery powerful for tracking projects and integrating accounting. Lots of features, many more than I will ever actually use, but it can do just about anything you need it to.
ConsDefinitely a learning curve and takes time to find how/where to accomplish certain tasks.
June 4, 2019
JANICE T.
CONTROLLER
July 31, 2018

“satisfied with wide range of modules and input”

OverallCan access data from prior years, access to many modules to provide research and reporting.
Prosmodules feed information to each other in relatively familiar pattern and scanning of documents mkaes info search and data backup much less paper intensive and time saving
ConsAccounting of cash and posting to g/l archaic and not offer options to summarize A/P posting, cannot extract g/l account balance as of a particular date, few internal controls on input of rates and parameters.
July 31, 2018
Carol B.
April 13, 2018

“Very user friendly!”

OverallAfter trying several accounting softwares before this one - let me tell you "Spectrum/Viewpoint was well worth the wait"
ProsAgain, very user friendly and has many valuable features. We have added several modules over the years and changed procedures due to the many features included in each module.
ConsThe only thing that I can really think of is the Annual User's Conference is so far away. I have been to several and want to return each year but it's not always plausible.
April 13, 2018
Tracey M.

“One-Stop Construction Accounting”

OverallWith all the integrations of other software to be compatible, Spectrum has really become the one to use.
ProsSpectrum is user-friendly, and can be customized to give real-time feedback and data you can use to make business decision, track progress, and know where your bottom line is at all times, not just at the end of the month.
ConsWe could use more training to really get the full use of Crystal Reports as we haven't used the customization to it's potential.
Kayla D.
Process Improvement Specialist

“Spectrum Review”

ProsOnline User Interface Document Imaging Pretty Good security management (can easily define who can do/see what)
ConsNot all functions available in all modules Not able to automate reconcilliation Reports often have to be customized to get the information you need Support is not always helpful - have to carefully explain issue/user experience, usually try to send you to a help article that is not sufficient Can only process one pay roll batch at a time No "set up" workflow (ie. while everything is usually within one area, there is no flow that goes through all required fields for a new entry/things can be missed
Diane B.
Payroll Manager
December 4, 2018

“The New Customer Service”

OverallVery disappointed in the The customer support is HORRIBLE! Long wait times, false information and a huge lack of knowledge in our updated program. It used to be so easy to call in and now that we have upgraded and the software has changed hands it is a BIG LIABILITY to our company.
ProsThe reports are clean and easy to read. It makes any Audit easier
ConsThe customer support is HORRIBLE! Long wait times, false information and a huge lack of knowledge in our updated program.
July 22, 2018

“Feels like service is going backwards”

OverallIt qives our accounting team the tools they need to provide a quick and accurate overview for our company. They are able to perform all accounting functions in one platform.
ProsFamiliar feel, rather easy to train new users. Features are simple and quick to learn. It has served our company well for numerous years.
ConsCustomer service and new features feel like that are going backwards. Takes forever to get issues solved when a few years ago it was quick
July 22, 2018
Ariel D.
Project Administrator
Utilities, 51-200 employees

“User-friendly ”

ProsI really enjoy the ease of use and functionality of this software. Prior to my current job, we utilize project management software that was constantly going on the fritz. Spectrum has been a fantastic product thus far.
ConsThere are not many things to dislike about Spectrum. The main thing would be that it's sometimes difficult to use the software on my phone.

By Viewpoint on July 13, 2018
Thank you, Ariel, for your great feedback. Much appreciated!
Travis B.
Business Development
April 27, 2018

“Good to Go!”

OverallSpectrum has made life easier.
ProsIt is the online access with the permissions built in so we can have multiple users from all over the nation access it according to their needs. Also, being able to store information and images on the cloud to be paperless is great.
ConsWhen a browser does an update, it seems to take Spectrum a while to adapt to that update. It meas that things run slow for a small window of time.
April 27, 2018
Debbie R.
April 25, 2018

“Spectrum is user friendly.”

OverallI love this product and I'm so happy we made the change 2 years ago.
ProsIt is extremely user friendly and very easy to navigate through. Reports run in seconds. The menus are clear and you can move easily from one module to another. Help is either a click or a phone call away. The support staff is very knowledgeable and they answer your call when you call.
ConsIt works better on a laptop than a tablet, but I know they are working on that. The Project Management Module is not robust enough, but they are working to get their Viewpoint product compatible with Spectrum.
April 25, 2018
Matt R.
IT Director
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1000 employees

“Great support”

ProsWhen you call Spectrum support you get a real person who can guide the support process to quick resolution.
ConsCloud hosted solutions - I'm not sure this is truly a 'con' item as cloud based SaaS services can be benefit to many. It would be better to have both options available through. For most it can be a cost savings when including management costs but for others it can be more expensive to pay the hosting fees and connectivity costs.
Melissa S.
HR Manager

“Great System!!”

ProsI love the system, it has great value and ease of use. The dashboard and the apps you can put on it are very visually appealing and add great value to the system.
ConsThe system can use a few enhancements. There needs to be a little less going on with the criteria screens for running reports, PM's can get extremely overwhelmed when trying to run reports due to the fact that there are so many different options on how to run the reports. There are few other small items that can be enhanced, but it seems as if Spectrum is enhancing things regularly so I'm sure it is only a matter of time.
Christina O.
March 16, 2017

“Software that is easy to learn and use”

OverallThe software is very functional for project based accounting.
ProsWeb based provides unbarred access Easy to learn. Entry in the modules is logical and intuitive Reports can be exported and are organized well Customer support is very responsive to questions and concerns
ConsDocument imaging is somewhat cumbersome when uploading multiple images If I move too fast in the system, I'm logged off automatically and have to log back in and re-enter data.
March 16, 2017
Dan B.
Senior Accounting Supervisor
July 20, 2018

“Spectrum satisfies multiple needs for us, Constructions as well as Service & Dispatch.”

OverallOur business entails both Construction (installation) and service. This software was chosen because it seemed it would satisfy more of our needs than other software that was demonstrated.
ProsSeems very logically designed and easy to maneuver. One screen provides easy access to all related data/documentation.
ConsSome areas are still in need of some enhancement, specifically Inventory & Dispatch. But enhancements are released frequently.
lowell l.
treasurer
November 3, 2017

“mid upper range construction software”

Overalloverall would recommend product and usability of it, believe spectrum is a good value and over time has provided good uptime, maintenance, usability and support.
Prosspectrum - good product having been using over 10 years. support and response good, improvements and upgrades good - always trying to stay ahead of curve on software
Consprice and annual software maintenance is good but a little pricey. some features (fixed assets) need work
Delmas G.
11-50 employees
February 21, 2019

“Spectrum is well designed cloud based construction accounting software”

ProsWe like that it is cloud based and we can work from anywhere. We had excellent support in setting up the software from Spectrum. Ongoing, the support is excellent, for the once or twice a year that we need it.
ConsI wish that the Work Order Module and Field accounting were more robust and modern. The inventory module seems outdated and hard to use.
February 21, 2019