UpToDate Ratings

Overall

About UpToDate

UpToDate is a clinical decision support resource that brings a wealth of medical resources and information to clinicians and physicians from experts in the field. Learn more about UpToDate

March 13, 2019

“UpToDate - the name says it all”

OverallAs a professional medical doctor, it's unthinkable for me not to use this software when in doubt. Countless times have I checked guidelines and updated knowledge here for a specific problem that a patient I'm treating is facing. It's that easy and that trustworthy.
ProsAs a professional medical doctor, I can vouch for this software. It is the ultimate weapon because it is constantly being updated and it has the most recent developments and consensus on basically every subject. Doctors really use this. There are a lot of false Medicine software out there which are based most times on popular beliefs or Internet hearsay. This is one is for real. I use it regularly, wheter on the infirmary or the emergency room. It's really that great. Most hospitals (at least in hospital) provide free (non-payed) access to this and there's actually a shortcut on the desktop of hospital computers.
ConsI don't think I can find something bad about this. Perhaps the organization. Sometimes they split articles of the same disease into treatment and diagnosis and so on, which can be helpfull because it has a lot of information about that specific theme but it can also be challenging sometimes to find the thing you're looking for. It's not really something that matters though.
March 13, 2019
August 29, 2018

“Quick updated resource with CME!”

OverallI have been using this resource for over 10 years and I feel it allows me to use current data to make decisions.
ProsThis is updated frequently so I find it gives me current information. It has a great search engine as well as a breakdown of topics on the side so you can quickly get the information you want. It also has patient information for each topic which is easily printable. It uses charts and decision making flowcharts. I frequently will print out a flow chart (ex. hypercalcemia workup) or a list (ex. Vitamin k amounts in foods). It does come in a computer and/or a phone app but I just use the computer form. Also everything you look up counts toward CME and uptodate keeps track of it for you. I can use it in the room with the patient or check after the visit.
ConsThe cost but I make that up with my CME. Also since it is so current occasionally I find the information, like recommended testing, is not available in my area. Usually that is mentioned in the description.
Emily H.
Hospitalist
December 4, 2018

“Essential”

ProsUpToDate has changed the medical field and the way that physicians learn and practice medicine. It is pretty much impossible to keep up with medicine in the current day given the infinite amounts of knowledge that is constantly changing. Although it is always good to look up primary sources and journals on your own, it's incredibly helpful to be able to quickly look things up first on UpToDate, and can always do further reading later if needed. The information is current with relevant key articles as citations, and written by a lot of key specialists in the field. Couldn't imagine practicing without it.
ConsThe only idea for improvement is it could include more pictures and radiology images in the system for reference and learning.
December 4, 2018
Daniel T.
Pharmacy Student
July 26, 2019

“Extremely Valuable ”

OverallAccurate information organized in a concise format. You're not digging through outdated PubMed review articles on google. It gets you the information you need, fast.
ProsAll recommendations are backed up with references. The tables and flowchart treatment algorithms in this program are so helpful. I use this software everyday as a pharmacy student. It really will keep you keep up to date on guidelines and treatment strategies.
ConsI get this software for free through the hospital I am an intern at. The price is quite steep on an individual level. That being said, I do think it's worth the yearly subscription cost. If I didn't have access to it, I would consider it a wise purchase. It is a must have software for hospitals and healthcare providers.
July 26, 2019
danielle e.
RN
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
February 5, 2019

“Uptodate”

OverallUptodate absolutely improves the care I provide to patients and it keeps track of CME's I have earned while using it- a win/win for me and my organization.
ProsLove that this is integrated into my EHR software, it is so helpful to look up conditions right in the moment while providing telephone triage to patients. The photos are great quality and I like that all of the info. is generally on the same page so there is not a lot of clicking. Major bonus is earning CME's for doing what I need to do for my job anyway.
ConsFor my purpose which is providing telephone triage to patients sometimes the info is too in depth, but not a major issue.
February 5, 2019
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
April 12, 2019

“UpToDate Review ”

ProsI like that UpToDate delivers peer-reviewed, up to date information about a variety of different topics. You can easily search, learn about a topic including symptoms, dosing of drugs, interactions, side effects of medications, signs, lab tests, treatments, and prognoses of different disease processes and medications. You also earn CMEs every time you search a topic.
ConsThe only thing that I do not like about UpToDate is the cost if you have to pay out of pocket for it. You could easily make this worth it if you were able to submit the CMEs you earn.
April 12, 2019
Rachael M.
Resident Physician
Medical Practice, 5001-10,000 employees
June 18, 2019

“The best clinical resource”

OverallI would highly recommend. I feel it is worth the money. I use it daily and it is the main clinical resource that I use.
Pros-easy to use -app is available but can also access website through desktop/laptop -includes review on different medical topics written by experts in the field including references -easy way to get quick information on medical topic -I use daily for medication dosing (including renal and hepatic dosing)
Cons-I do not pay for this personally but it costs a lot for the organization (so I have heard)
June 18, 2019
Jennifer S.
Physician
May 29, 2019

“Quick, easy to reference”

OverallHas made some processes in the clinic more standard and manageable (i.e. testosterone replacement labs and frequency of labs- nursing staff has the protocol in the lab and sets up all appointments and the process is streamlined)
ProsAs easy to use through the app as on the computer. Great to have a quick reference guide when on call or needing to look up info quickly. The news updates on what's new in up-to-date is also very helpful.
ConsSometimes hard to toggle through the different sections on the cell phone, but ultimately manageable.
May 29, 2019
Nicole W.
Nursing Faculty
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
January 23, 2019

“My favorite go to medical app”

OverallExceptional
ProsThis app is amazing. I use it daily when in clinic. Whether I need to look up a medication, dosing of medications, signs/symptoms of diseases, or need to educate my patients on something this is my go to reference. Worth every penny. Love the pictures that are often included. Also love the feature of pregnancy/lactation when prescribing medications. Also love that there is an app that you can access anywhere.
ConsNothing. I don't have anything bad to say about this software.
January 23, 2019
June 6, 2019

“Great Quick Reference”

OverallThe interface of Uptodate works great and provides quick information when needed.
ProsUptodate provides a lot of information in a condensed format allowing quick reference of disease states, drugs and recommendations for treatment. It can also be used as a starting place to further investigate a topic, particularly for treatment agents. I also appreciate the inclusion of Lexicomp drug monographs and the phone app works great.
ConsUptodate is sometimes viewed as a information clearinghouse or a one stop shop for all things information but this is not the design of the program (and maybe not even a fault of the program itself). Most sections are great but the review process isn't as robust for some topics and may lead readers toward an answer that isn't always the best answer.
June 6, 2019
Amanda S.
Family Nurse Practitioner / Clinic Owner
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

“Great Resource”

OverallGreat. I have had it for years and will continue to use it.
ProsThis is my go to for everything. Very rarely do I not find what I am looking for. You get CME for subjects you look up. Great Patient Education Handouts.
ConsA little pricier than I feel like it should be but overall it is still my favorite. CME is not broke up for pharmacology and medical CME
Rachel S.
Medical Student
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
May 26, 2019

“An indispensable tool”

OverallUpToDate is my go-to when I need help understanding a pathology, creating a differential, or coming up with a treatment plan. I love that it is updated so regularly and that the information is so detailed.
ProsExtremely thorough and well-researched. Easy to find exactly what I'm looking for and get either quick or detailed information depending on what I need.
ConsOne could argue that it is too detailed for daily use, however I think it's easy to skip between sections and just find the information you need.
May 26, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
September 27, 2019

“Relevant medical information”

OverallA fantastic program that helps make research far more efficient.
ProsThis software is easy to navigate and provides excellent information that matches the current literature.
ConsOccasionally it can be challenging to find a general page for the diagnosis or treatment that you want to research.
September 27, 2019
Rachael L.
PA
September 11, 2019

“UpToDate for medical Providers”

OverallVery helpful as a provider. It has the most recent up to date medical guidelines and is also helpful for doses of medications.
ProsThis app is very easy to use and matches the uptodate website online. The organization of the app makes it easy to read the different sections for what you are researching.
ConsThis goes for the online website also, but UpToDate sometimes has so much information it is hard to interpret.
September 11, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
July 1, 2019

“Great for education ”

ProsI like educating myself with this as well as educating patients with it. I love looking up medication dose adjustments with uptodate.
ConsThere is nothing I do not like about this.
July 1, 2019
October 10, 2019

“Amazin tool for health care providers”

OverallThe way the information is displayed and how easy it is to find it, make UpToDate a great tool for healthcare providers. Learning updated guidelines, procedures, new and upcoming treatments it's vital and it's nice to be able to access a web page and data base this big and precise.
ProsUpToDate it's a great tool for doctors, medical students and health care related position workers to maintain health related topics and guidelines to the most actual and accurate.
ConsTo acces the data base you need an account which is better provided by a company, for individual subscriptions can be a struggle.
October 10, 2019
Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees
July 25, 2019

“Best resource available for up to date evidence based medicine”

OverallJust a must have with excellent tables and graphics.
ProsThis is just a never ending realm of resources on almost any medical topic relative to active medical practice. I use this daily in the hospital to look up resources and studies relating to my patients. I could not picture learning medicine in this day and age without this resource. A must have!
ConsThere is a ton of information available through this item, which means you have to filter through a lot to get to the relevant information pertaining to your patients. It would be great if they had summaries at the beginning, instead of the end.
July 25, 2019
Jonathan D.
Podiatrist
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
September 1, 2019

“Quick new medical knowledge ”

ProsIf you're interested in finding out the very latest information regarding anything medical, I would highly recommend this resource. Clear and concise information at your fingertips. Also, has an associated app with it that I also use when I do not have a computer in front of me.
ConsCostly to use with membership fees, but still worth it
September 1, 2019
November 1, 2018

“One of the best”

ProsOne of the best sources for quick and accurate medical information. Very comprehensive resource that has topics on just about anything and the articles are well-written.
ConsIt would be nice if you could have multiple topics open at one time in the mobile application. Sometimes I wish that there were more media/pictures with the topics.
November 1, 2018
Rashmi D.
Doctor
April 27, 2019

“Appalling customer service ”

OverallDon't deal with these charlatans
ProsGood content overall I guess but super expensive
ConsBoth a number of years ago and again the last two days, have had rude, unresponsive and extremely poor customer service experience. Not actually reading my complaint, responding irrelevantly and resorting to sarcasm and passive aggression when I ask them to please read my actual complaint. Can't log in, automatically subscribed me a student subscription service when I'm no longer a student, charged me an exhorbitant amount for it and won't let me use it as I can't provide proud I'm a student. Tried to tell them I am no longer a student and the re-subscription default with me to that and I need it to be upgraded properly and keep getting responses sarcastically telling me to provide proof that I'm a student and sending me the same reply saying "you may have missed my response". Unbelievable
April 27, 2019
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
January 4, 2019

“Quite expensive for what it is”

OverallGreat quality but a steep price to pay. Probably not needed in a primary care setting, but nice to have.
ProsThe best thing about UpToDate is that it keeps your practice and medical doctors (who are long out of med-school) "Up To Date" on current guidelines for specific diagnoses. The library of diagnoses and conditions to treat is thorough. And each diagnosis contains information on how to diagnose it and treat it. It is no doubt a great tool to have for a medical practice.
ConsAs a primary care medical group we do not need to use UpToDate quite often since most of what we diagnose and see is routine. In addition, most of the information we need can easily be found in much cheaper resources such as AAP or Pediatric Journals, OCMA, and dare I say even Google. That said, this makes UpToDate quite pricy for the few times we actually use it. However, we do occasionally use it and feel more comfortable using it because it is the most current up to date guideline that is trusted in the medical community. One other con is that we thought we would use UpToDate to fight with insurance companies to get paid for referrals or such they felt were unneeded. However, this takes way too much work and insurance companies have their own set of guidelines they stick by.
January 4, 2019
Jonathan R.
Second year medical student
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
October 7, 2019

“Fantastic resource that every doctor/med student should have.”

OverallOverall this has been a fantastic tool to use and has changed the way that medical professionals can look at the health of their patients. This app truly lets patients receive the best possible care for each of them
ProsUpToDate is one of the, if not the best resource for current medical information. Everything is available in one convenient location. Always has the most recent recommendations and allows you to truly personalize medicine for each patient.
ConsThe only con that I have about this is the price can be a little daunting for some. But other than the price I have no complaints about this software
October 7, 2019
Ioan L.
Resident
Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees
September 16, 2019

“Really enjoy using it for a quick refresher or for researching topics that are rare/unique”

OverallOverall, I think that this is a must-have app for physicians. However, I think that the company could do better with their company-wide authentication methods.
ProsBroad, there is a wealth of information, easy to use
ConsI dislike the need to renew your subscription frequently.
September 16, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
July 16, 2019

“An outstanding product ”

OverallI love uptodate and will continue to use it daily
ProsThis is the most outstanding app for staying current with medical information
ConsSometimes, it can be hard to search for what you're looking for
July 16, 2019
May 7, 2019

“Expensive but close to the gold standard”

ProsThis is an impressive database of medical knowledge that can be accessed on the fly in a variety of clinical situations.
ConsExpensive. If your organization pays for it, you are in luck. If you are a small practice, you will feel the sting.
May 7, 2019
Nam N.
Physician Assistant
July 24, 2019

“Best source for medical information ”

ProsThe only website that i need for my source of medication information. I use this multiple times per week which help with my medical practice
ConsPrice is quite expensive if buying for personal use
July 24, 2019
July 31, 2019

“UpToDate lives up to its namesake”

ProsConvenient to subscribe Lives up to its mission/vision - I always feel more equipped to manage cases because I am made aware of latest research Generally easy to navigate between pages Love the ease to access references cited
ConsSubscription is pricey especially for newer practitioners
July 31, 2019
August 3, 2019

“Tough to get a good look”

ProsIt is really good at providing robust information on a variety of topics. I like how much vast the knowledge base is and it's a one-stop shop for getting updated information.
ConsWe use UpToDate but don't have our paid access at the moment. We still use it to dive into some topics but the allowed portion of the paper is so small. I can't even tell if the papers are worth purchasing the service because the snippet is tiny.
August 3, 2019
Ryne F.
Chiropractor
August 15, 2019

“UpToDate keeps me informed.”

ProsI love reviewing current evidence based research for various conditions using UpToDate. If I come across any condition that I need a refresher on, UpToDate is my go to resource.
ConsOccasionally, I can't find any information on a condition.
August 15, 2019
Hernando N.
Medical Student
September 5, 2019

“Maybe the most trustworthy and updated medical databasis”

ProsI use this software in weekly basis to search the most trustworthy information and the best practices about medicine. I really enjoy the experience and the quality of information. The UpToDate are very updated and the majority of my professors recommend it to search about pacient care and diseases management.
ConsThe price is very expensive for students and sometimes they can't afford with it. Moreover the platform could offer more features.
September 5, 2019
Rosaria N.
Dr
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
May 16, 2019

“Very professional update”

ProsThe real professionals update for health services, physicians
Consvery expensive subscription even for single user
May 16, 2019