WhiteSmoke Ratings

Overall

About WhiteSmoke

WhiteSmoke is the world's leading English proofreading & grammar software. It checks English grammar, spelling, punctuation & writing style, and ensures that every email, document or any other text you write is effective, crystal-clear and error-free. WhiteSmoke 2019 is an all-in-one solution - it includes dictionary, translator & built-in templates. Use it to write confidently everywhere. WhiteSmoke offers a mobile app (ios & android), web based writing solution, a premium & a business version. Learn more about WhiteSmoke

Clinton H.
Senior EHS Program Manager
Biotechnology, 10,001+ employees
February 1, 2019

“Excellent, and maintains excellent reputation”

OverallI have been able to improve my reputation in the organization, especially in the days of reorganization, and this helps me maintain my stature, high reputation.
ProsContext - I have a learning disability that impacts my english skills when it comes to writing. My employer hired a writing coach, and the sessions resulted in breaking bad habits. However, I have difficulties with the aspects of English grammar and rules. Product - I have been using is for several years, where I am able to reduce the time to craft, and produce reports with confidence. By using it exclusively enabled me to reduce the number of errors, and able to rearrange my thoughts with clarity. Even though I have gain confidence in the written communication, I will always use WhiteSmoke since there has been a need to get the work done in a quicker manner.
ConsSometimes in mac IOS, the software crashes, but it is not a big problem.
Dossie H T.
Author, freelance writer
February 6, 2019

“Not consistent”

OverallOverall, it's a good program, but I believe it could be better if you give it a few more tweaks. As I noted above, it will often show errors that aren't there. There also seems to be a problem identifying tenses.
ProsThe most salient feature of WhiteSmoke is a spell check. It's confusing sometimes because it does not always show correctly subject and verb agreement. It's time-consuming, trying to see what's wrong when there's nothing wrong.
ConsThe program will often stop in the middle of reviewing, which is also exasperating. It may be something I am not doing, but I must "call up" the program, using f2, rather than have it visible and available whenever I need it. If you could provide information about that, I'd appreciate it.
February 6, 2019
Paul D.
Industrial Automation, 1-10 employees

“A Quick Check”

OverallCustomer relations and appearance.
ProsMy major use of WhiteSmoke is a quick check of emails. I do not regularily prepare lengthy documents, but I do like that I can highlight my writing and do a quick Fn F2 check. I strive for an 8 or better. :) I did a check of this writing.
ConsContacting a service tech when I have an issue. When I have a need, I look for an immediate resolution, and hate waiting hours, or days. As a service organization, we rely on prompt service.
John M.
Regional Vallue Engineering
Civil Engineering, 1001-5000 employees
February 1, 2019

“Power grammar and editing software”

OverallI would totally be a loss without WhiteSmoke. Even when I'm not using it strictly professional. I use it to make sure that my casual writing is up-to-par.
ProsThe functionality of the software, which allows you to check on your overall grammar:subject verb agreement, readability of our document and the quick response to your grammar checks.
ConsIt is hard to pinpoint anything that I don't like, because it fills my need by enabling me to check a document as I write, also it allows me to the opportunity to accept certain changes that make the document correct and well as its readability.
Susan S.
Author
July 31, 2019

“Excellent Product”

OverallI've published 3 novels thanks to this program. It helps alleviate my fear of commas. And guarantees I spell words like alleviate correctly. :)
ProsI love this program and would not be able to function without it.
ConsI like every feature of this program. It's easy to use and does everything I need it to do.
July 31, 2019
Teresa K.
Executive Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
January 30, 2019

“Great for PC but not as efficient for MAC”

ProsI like how it is integrated into Outlook. Emails are completed so fast that you sometimes forget to proof. WS reminds you as you hit send.
ConsThat I can not integrate it into my apps as a do on my PC.
Mikhail B.
Assoc Professor
Research, 5001-10,000 employees
February 8, 2019

“My WhiteSmoke review”

ProsF2 button and automatic checks of the emails
Consfrequent crashes, the paragraphs disappear after you click Apply Changes and you need to spend time to recover the text
February 8, 2019
Kay B.
Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
January 29, 2019

“After five years with White Smoke.”

Overall I have not found another product I like better but I do look .... Even after five years using it I would jump in a heartbeat if I found one that I didn't have the grammer problems, and the duplication and deletion issues.
ProsI like knowing 95% of the time White Smoke finds and corrects my spelling errors.
ConsIt doesn't do a good job of catching the grammatical errors. It also often doubles and triples line of text. Other times it deletes items. It is madding when you have an email only to have White Smoke "bastardize" it so much with it duplication or it deletions that it doesn't look anything like your email at all. On occation it delete my entire email or word document.
Brenda S.
author

“Why I like WhiteSmoke”

OverallI am an author and I would not turn in my manuscript without a WhiteSmoke check.
ProsWhiteSmoke found punctuation and mistakes in spelling I made that other spell checkers did not. It gave helpful suggestions on other words to use and pointed out when I used the same word too many times. It also rated my paragraphs. I was not only helpful but made me think.
ConsIt would have saved some time when checking a manuscript if the program would have ignored the paragraphs that did not need to be fixed.
Lindell A.
Retired nikitary
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
February 5, 2019

“Assessmentmof Whitesmoke”

ProsIt is a quick way to spot mistakes I have made in sending messages.
ConsSupport is slow in responding to my requests.
February 5, 2019
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
May 31, 2019

“Looks good on paper but on workflow....”

OverallClose but not quite. It can do a few cool things but still yet to be convinced whether it is necessary compared to alternatives
ProsIt does a lot of different things at a lower price point so worth a looks
ConsIt feels clunky and old. Also, customer service is no great. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong when I changed laptops and tried to reinstall
May 31, 2019