Top Hat Ratings

Overall
3.5/5
3.5/5

About Top Hat

A gradebook for higher education teachers. Automates grading as part of an end-to-end teaching platform. Top Hat's new gradebook software is helping faculty effectively manage student grades. Join a community of over 16,000 professors already using Top Hat's new gradebook software. Designed to provide you with easier and more insightful access to your students¿ grades! Learn more about Top Hat

SB S.
Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
October 25, 2018

“Easy to use and helpful features ”

OverallOverall I am pretty happy with Top Hat. It would definitely fall in the upper end of programs I have used. The students also seem to enjoy it as well.
ProsI was able to log into Top Hat and immediately start using it without any training. It's a pretty intuitive site. Seeing the grades and attendance is straightforward and has been easier to edit than other programs that I have used.
ConsWhen students are submitting their quizzes or comments there is major lag time and I am not sure if that is because of the software or internet connectivity. I am never entirely sure if I know how many people have turned in their questions. Until about 3 minutes after the questions is over. Also, I wish there was a way to edit slides when they are posted into Top Hat because when I upload sometimes the slides become distorted and I need to make the text smaller or rearrange it so that it fits on the screen and can be read. Also, sometimes the link to videos do not work.
October 25, 2018
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
August 18, 2019

“It works, but isn't the most cost effective solution”

ProsStudents answer questions in real time and the percentages of what answers were chosen can then be displayed.
ConsAs a student who had to use the software, the cost can be annoying. You have to pay based on how long you think you'll need the software, which you won't always know if you're not sure whether future classes will use the software. For example, you might decide to pay for 1 years use because it's "cheaper" over time, but you only ended up having a class use it for 3 months. So you wasted money paying for the rest of the subscription and the company gets more money from struggling college students. And of course, the opposite could happen where you pay for 1 quarter, then another classes uses it and you'd have to pay for it again. Before Top Hat came along, iClicker was the more commonly used tech and does the same job. With iClicker, you only had to pay one time for the remote and then you could sell the remote to another student, which was much more cost effective for students.
August 18, 2019
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
July 25, 2019

“Oh the frustration”

ProsMaybe it's because it was a 12pm physics lecture and no one wanted to be there, including the technology, but Top Hat was a hit-or-miss most of the semester. I cannot speak for the professor in this case, but this was my experience as a student. We used Top Hat for attendance, poll questions, and short quizzes between slides. Attendance tracking utilizes location to some extent, but if you have the code and time, you can check into class without being there. Our professor caught people checking in remotely; but we also found out that there were dead spots where people in the very room could not check in. That led to tons of handwritten attendance sheets. Also quizzes within the slides often glitched out and had to be restarted or they randomly deleted the annotations. The lecture hall was 200~220 people.
ConsGlitchy with large amount of people; Attendance not always accurate
July 25, 2019
Cassandra T.
Lab Technician
Chemicals, 1001-5000 employees
July 16, 2019

“Very good for large classes to increase participation”

ProsIt allows you to take attendance with a unique code so only the people present get credit. It very efficiently collects answers to questions and gives the lecturer immediate feedback on whether the class understands the material.
ConsIt was complicated to use which has given a few people some trouble
Shaylynn W.
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
November 27, 2018

“Top Hat Student Review”

OverallIt has helped me so much with this class. It has given me a new way to go about grasping the material and I would highly suggest it to other people.
ProsI used it in my economics class, and we had embedded questions within our chapters. It really makes you slow down to understand and grasp the concepts.
ConsWe had problems with being able to go back and view which questions were answered correctly or incorrectly. I also wish there were more functions like notes and bookmarks along with the highlighting.
November 27, 2018
Jonathan R.
Medical Student
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
August 25, 2019

“Use a different platform if you can”

ProsSimilar in functions and features as other learning platforms once you can figure it out. I personally don't have any other pros for this product.
ConsI wouldn't recommend Top Hat I feel like there are other learning platforms that are easier to use for both the instructor and student. I had top hat as a learning platform in a few of my university courses and I never got the hang of using it.
August 25, 2019
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
August 22, 2019

“Easy to Use Learning Tool”

OverallTop Hat is a wonderful asset to have, and I'm glad my professors have been utilizing it. It has increased the regularity and clarity of communication between myself and my professors.
ProsWhen it comes to student/professor education software, I have found, as a student, that my favorite software programs are ones that professors are able to access and utilize with ease. The reason for this is that when professors utilize the functions available on education software, my life gets easier. Instead of dealing with streams of AOL emails, I get succinct and clean information and communication through a user-friendly platform. My professors who use Top Hat are VERY comfortable with it and seem to maximize its potential. Top Hat is easy for me to use, and it's evidently really easy for my professors to use. It's clean, sleek, and really user-friendly. Also, I like how Top Hat is device-friendly; their mobile app is great.
ConsI've been using it for a few months and have not yet run into anything that I have a problem with. Everything's been great so far.
August 22, 2019
Higher Education, Self-employed
December 26, 2018

“Easy way to participate in class”

OverallI wish it were easier to view past questions or that there were some way to access the information presented with tophat at a later date, but overall is has been a very useful tool.
ProsI like the fact that this software allows you to answer anonymously in class, so I am not worried about getting an answer wrong and I am more likely to participate. The app itself is also very user friendly.
ConsI have noticed a few glitches with using this software, but nothing to keep me from not using it.
December 26, 2018
Public Relations and Communications, 11-50 employees
February 5, 2019

“Used as an Assistant to the Professor”

ProsI like that it is an easy and accessible way to share books, assignments and other content with the class. It's much easier then trying to share everything via email or printout.
ConsMy only issue that I've had is that when the professor is doing a presentation I am unable to go in and do anything else on the class page even though she is presenting from a separate computer.

By Top Hat on February 7, 2019
Thanks for the Top Hat review, I will pass this on to the team.
Landon F.
USU Veterinary Student
Veterinary, 11-50 employees
January 8, 2019

“Top Hat Review”

OverallOverall, I liked using this program to take the quiz's I needed to take for Veterinary School.
ProsI liked that it made it so I can pass my class with added quiz points. I also liked the format and layout of the program. It laid it out for each class so it was easy to find the questions and answers.
ConsHonestly, there wasn't anything I disliked about this software.
January 8, 2019
Higher Education, 201-500 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
April 26, 2019

“A great medium”

ProsTop Hat is easy to use for both professors and students. During lectures, one can connect with other students; and professors can evaluate students' knowledge on the topics discussed. This is great as it happens in real time and is easy to use. Top Hat app is accessible through multiple devices, which enables everyone to utilize it using a variety of mediums. I personally use it on my iPad.
ConsNot much to dislike about Top Hat, however, the hardware options could be cheaper.
April 26, 2019
Education Management, Self-employed
April 21, 2019

“Top Hat for students”

OverallOverall I really like the ease of top hat.
ProsI liked that it was easy to use and was accessible to all without the need for a laptop or computer.
ConsThe thing I liked least about this is that the slide would change according to the teacher changing their own slide, it made it difficult to catch up if there was ever a need to do so.
April 21, 2019
Tess S.
E-Learning, Self-employed
September 8, 2019

“Not good”

OverallThe software itself is a very good idea. Cannot get over the fact that it does not explain things in-depth very well, and the amount of blatant errors is astounding.
ProsEasy to use in class, and the overall accessibility is good.
ConsSO MANY TYPOS AND GRAMMATICAL ERRORS. "Loose" instead of "lose"? "Wenn" instead of "when"? "Less" instead of "fewer"?? Incomplete sentences, and many many many more issues ranging from awkward phrasing, to homophone misuse, to use of "words" that are not even a part of the English language (such as my earlier example, "wenn" was literally in this published educational textbook. I expect literally the bare minimum (correct English grammar and spelling) from an expensive, high level, educational publication, and I couldn't even get that.
September 8, 2019
Jim C.
Lab Reseach Student, Belsham Lab
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees
July 16, 2019

“When free options are available on the market, it is a shame that this company swindles instructors”

OverallThe customer service, in my limited experience, has been great. However, I really hate that I had to pay for something like this when it was in no ways innovative and when so many free competitors exist.
ProsSimplistic design that is easy to navigate
ConsThe cost is insane for something that is essentially an iClicker. The location-dependent attendance code input has consistently been terrible. This company swindles instructors into forcing their students to buy the product, by making it a required component of the course marks.
Dylan S.
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
February 26, 2019

“Absolute mess of a service”

OverallAwful service, awful and sassy customer service, overall just disappointed. Sad I had to pay for this through my wallet and my GPA.
ProsNothing. I guess you could say it costs less than others.
ConsIt's broken all the time. It's not intuitive. It leaves students no clear way to access the service, let alone study materials or even tests and assignments. There's nothing this service can do that free services like Socrative can't do.
February 26, 2019
Nadia M.
Administrative Coordinator I
Education Management, 201-500 employees
February 11, 2019

“Very Easy to Use!”

ProsBefore starting my new job almost a month ago, I had never even heard of Top Hat, much less knew what it was. On my first week, I was given the assignment of transferring grades from Top Hat to Blackboard. After a quick hands on tutorial, I pretty much had it down with zero issues. It was so easy for me to navigate to each class, download the grades, and go from there. I've been using Top Hat for almost a month now, with zero issues.
ConsAs of to date, I haven't experienced any issues with this software.
February 11, 2019
Angie E.
student
E-Learning, 501-1000 employees
October 19, 2018

“badly flawed and expensive”

OverallTop Hat breaks or disconnects all the time. We all hate this thing. It's really expensive.
ProsAbility to use phones can use my laptop in class
ConsInterface is buggy my grades don't show up in blackboard and canvas. I have to complain to the professor every week to get my grades corrected. my friend dropped the class because of this program. students who don't show up to lecture are still answering quiz questions -- so what's the point? really expensive. why am I paying for software when the university already has a program that does this stuff?
October 19, 2018
Consumer Electronics, Unspecified
July 2, 2018

“Participate in college class course”

ProsI am just a student who used this in two of my classes. I fairly enjoyed the tool. It reacted to the in class quizzes very quickly. Upon initial setup there were some technical difficulties, but technical support was very promptful in solving the issue.
ConsThis is more of a tool for tracking attendance. I don't see the purpose of using this tool over an iClicker, unless it tracks the location of the user and IP address. I was just a student though. From my perspective, it was very annoying to have another expense added to my schooling.
July 2, 2018
Lily T.
Freelancer
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
September 11, 2019

“Great attendance software ”

ProsI like the efficiency of Top Hat because it saves class time because classes held in big lecture halls. This software allows students to sign into class via their phone or their computers with a code, thus eliminating the need for professors to waste class time by calling out names one by one
ConsI don't like how it can be a little difficult to navigate as a new user
September 11, 2019
Patrick Z.
Business Processing Center Student Assistant
Higher Education, 11-50 employees
April 12, 2019

“Great for School”

OverallI like it but there is better software to use for its purpose.
ProsIt is very easy to use and reliable. I used this for class and it was easy to set up a question and for students to answer it.
ConsYou can answer it from any location where there is wifi. If you are trying to post a question in a given location, that is not possible when your registered for the class.
April 12, 2019
Sarah H.
Cosmetology Instructor
Cosmetics, 1-10 employees
October 15, 2018

“Review Title”

OverallPretty impressed so far but would like to see some small changes in the future
ProsIt's easy to use. Support is there when you need it.
ConsThe cost. They should lower the cost for this software
October 15, 2018
John S.
Education Management, 51-200 employees

“Needs a lot of work.”

ProsGood for polling large classes. Phone app is decent.
ConsQuestions do not automatically pop up on your display, you have to go down to the bottom and manually open each one. Also if you click a question answer and time runs out before you go to the bottom and click submit, you do not receive credit for the answer. The website is unimpressive.