Accounting by Wave Ratings

Overall

About Accounting by Wave

Wave offers 100% free, real double-entry accounting for small businesses. As a cloud-based software, Wave allows you to access your data from anywhere, add unlimited collaborators and work on all of your businesses from a single login. Wave eliminates data-entry and puts the financial reports you need at your fingers tips, allowing you to spend more time doing what you love. Your accounting is also seamlessly integrated with invoicing, receipt scanning, payment processing and payroll. Learn more about Accounting by Wave

Felix J.
Auditor
Accounting, 5001-10,000 employees
September 2, 2019

“A Solid Free Small Business Accounting Software”

OverallIt's been a solid piece of cloud accounting software, albeit limited. It's hard to beat the price of it, and I have yet to find a similar but more fully featured one at the price of FREE!
ProsI use Wave to keep track of my personal finances, from income to spending. In that lens, Wave performs quite well, allowing you to tag transactions that are automatically imported from your bank. It also lets you generate some simple reports such as your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow. The interface is simple to use and understand, and I was able to pick it up (coming from an accounting background) in under a few minutes, without having gone through a walkthrough. The included ability to reconcile statements is also quite handy and allows me to verify that all transactions are posted appropriately. The inclusion of receipt tracking and tagging is also quite handy! The best part about Wave is the price! If you don't need features such as invoicing and payroll (some SMB's may find these handy. From a personal perspective, I did not), the accounting software is completely free.
ConsWave still appears to be in its infancy, although the product has been there for a while. The user interface will frequently be updated (the reconciliation flow changed 3 times since I signed up about 6 months ago), and new features will constantly be added without any notification, often shifting often things around from where you expect them to be. The reports from Wave are also very limited, so don't expect any customizable reports as of 08/2019. You get about 12 reports total, some or all of which may not be very relevant to you, depending on your end goal. These reports are completely canned, system generated, and you do not have the ability to create new reports. This may change in the future, but as it stands, this is the current state of affairs. The receipt tracking feature is definitely handy to have. While Wave will OCR your receipts and tag them to a category, it will actually post an entire transaction to the ledger when you save it down. For those of us with a bank account and credit card linked to auto import transactions, you'll get a duplicate: one from the CC, and one from the receipt. It would be nice if Wave included some intelligence to automatically match the receipt and transaction together, but for now, you need to manually merge each. Finally, as a small point, Wave does not obtain any service assurance through SOC1 or SOC2 reports, an issue that most people wouldn't ever care about.
September 2, 2019
Clay A.
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
August 5, 2019

“Exactly what I want in a small business accounting software”

OverallVery stress free. For a free app, you expect the quality to not be as high, but overall Wave has been very reliable. I didn't really want to pay $30+ a mo for Quickbooks when all I need is for my transactions to be categorized. Wave does this well, so glad it is free. I did use the chat once and had very good experience, although I think I saw they were disabling chat except for people that have paid for support or something, so that's a bummer. But I understand, they have to get paid somehow so I'm not complaining.
ProsI love the simplicity. We are just a small business, so the primary purpose of using this app is to categorize all my expenses, so once tax time rolls around, I just have to send the tax lady a breakdown of my income and expenses. Once a week or so, I'll log in to check all the transactions it imported from my bank account. It auto categorizes most of them which is awesome, I just have to click the check mark button to verify it was categorized correctly. Then once tax season rolls around, I just run the income statement report and send it to the tax office. I even have created a review account for the tax lady to be able to log in and see my business finances. We are just a simple business so we probably don't use some of the more advanced features, but it does what I want and best of all, it's F-R-E-E. I do also like the payroll and invoicing options if we need that in the future, although that is unlikely for our business.
ConsFor some reason, they disabled the ability for deposits to be auto categorized. This is my most common type of bank transactions, since all credit card payments are deposited into my account a few days after they process, so I have tons of transactions I have to go manually mark as the 'Sales' category. I did talk to customer support over chat about this though, and the lady agreed this would be extremely useful so they are looking into this.
August 5, 2019
Dane J.
Owner/Operator
Accounting, Self-employed
July 5, 2019

“Wave is a Great Accounting Suite - and it's FREE!”

ProsWave is a great piece of accounting software that rivals Quickbooks and Xero. The biggest winner, which it obvious to anyone who has researched Wave as an accounting platform for their small business: it's FREE! Both Quickbooks and Xero have fairly low-cost pricing models for small businesses that range all the way to fairly high-cost for larger businesses. Wave, on the other hand, is specifically tailored to the small business, and offers only features popular with those businesses. But, because of this, their base accounting software is completely free. Their only products you would be billed for would be payroll or credit card processing, both of which are priced competitively to Quickbooks/Intuit's and Xero's offerings as well. Wave also offers a lot of the same features, including automatic bank and credit card feeds, customized charts of accounts, multiple businesses on one account, smart expense categorization (software learns over time), and more.
ConsWave does have its limitations and is more basic than Quickbooks or Xero, especially to us accountants who can see the glaring differences. However, even as an accountant and bookkeeper, I recommend Wave to a lot of my smaller clients whose biggest consideration is cost, simply because you can't beat free. Plus, a lot of the additional features that offerings like Quickbooks or Xero feature, smaller businesses will not always utilize anyway, so Wave fits them perfectly. All-in-all, there are no large drawbacks.
July 5, 2019
Andi L.
Founder & Owner
May 15, 2019

“Wave Shows Me the Money!”

OverallBefore I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!
ProsWave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quickly-like 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave. Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah! Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they want-check, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints. It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day. The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!
ConsMy only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.
May 15, 2019
Jack E.
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
December 14, 2018

“Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be”

OverallI have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.
ProsThe software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.
ConsThis is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.
December 14, 2018
Chris K.
IC
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
November 3, 2018

“Great alternative to Quickbooks for small biz users”

OverallI have two small e-commerce business, and needed a way to track my inventory purchases, sales, shipping expenses, etc. I also had two independent contractor businesses, needing to track expenses such as mileage, supplies, etc. With Wave, I have each venture as a separate company, I can customize the chart of accounts for each one, create invoices for my independent contractor gigs, track invoice status so I don't overlook if something doesn't get paid on time, and review my income and expenses each month. I sometimes do consignment sales for clients in my e-commerce business, and Wave helps me keep track of those sales and settle up with clients each month. Truly a lot of great features offered, and I don't even use all of them (like Banking & Payroll). So glad I found Wave, and I have recommended it to many others.
ProsWave offers a lot of the basic accounting functions needed for small business users, and the best part is that it's FREE TO USE! Woo hoo! I used QuickBooks in my previous career, and liked the detail it provided, but once I started my own small e-commerce business, I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software, or get locked into a recurring monthly subscription. I was thrilled to find Wave and amazed that it was FREE!
ConsI wish there was a keyword search function in the Transactions section. Sometimes I need to look for a specific transaction but don't remember the exact date it occurred, so have to scroll through several pages to find what I'm seeking. A workaround is to export an Income Statement, then search or sort in Excel, but obviously that takes several extra steps and time. But since it's not costing me anything, this is a minor inconvenience.
November 3, 2018
Miguel G.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
March 14, 2018

“Accounting, with all the bells and whistles, no costs.”

OverallMy business accounting needs are not big. My business is small and provides a limited number of offerings that are easily tracked with any application. So, when I was looking for an accounting solution to further simplify and automate some functions, I was surprised at the number of products and the wide range of prices out there. I stumbled across Wave by accident and decided to give it a try. Besides being free, the list of standard features was greater than all other products out there... from free competitive services to paid basic subscriptions. Wave is truly amazing and I have found it extremely helpful. I use it primarily to bill clients: I create invoices, submit them via email, receive payments online, and request receipts to be sent to clients after payment. Wave provides notifications and simplifies all of my accounting in one place. I would not use any other product.
ProsWave is free, and packed with features one would typically pay for in other premium products. Wave is the perfect accounting solution for small businesses. For starters, it offers all the essential features ANY business needs... plus more. Manage estimates, invoices, and statements with ease. It even supports recurring invoicing, manage payments, and build a massive library of products and services to choose from for your estimates and invoices. Wave even manages receipts, bills and vendors to track expenses. Like more control than just simple single entries? Wave supports traditional double-entry accounting as well, for increase control of your business accounting needs. Need to accept credit card payments? Wave has a built-in merchant account feature that let's you collect payments online through your invoices. Make email invoices, or attach them as PDF files. And when you get paid, Wave notifies you. Funds are transferred to your connected business account in a couple of days. Reporting? Wave has you covered. All essential reports are available at your fingertips: financial statements, taxes, customers, vendors, and other general reports. And if your business has employees, Wave can handle your payroll. But this feature is a premium... everything else is part of your free account.
March 14, 2018
Mark B.
Proposal Manager
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
August 12, 2018

“Small business accounting, invoicing, credit card processing for minimal cost”

ProsAs many other reviews have stated, there is no subscription cost for Wave, which is great. There have been a number of features added to Wave since I started to use it, such as recurring invoicing/credit card processing and direct bank payments. Wave's support is helpful, money is transferred quickly, and my invoices look great. I am providing a more detailed review than I did the first time, but I have "sung the praises" of Wave a few times. (Including on Twitter, and they promptly thanked me for it - they listen, which is great). Wave is Canadian, and they are based in Toronto, but that is only one reason I chose to work with their service. I have a couple of complaints about their service, but nothing serious enough which would cause me to switch services. The flexibility of PDF/web-based invoices is great, retains client details, and it just gets the job done for me as a freelancer.
ConsOn a few occasions, my invoices got picked up by my clients' spam filters, so I tend to use the PDF invoice option. Not a big issue, I've followed up on it. Also if I take payment through PayPal, I can get paid in US funds, but I have to invoice in Canadian funds only through Wave because my bank is in Canada (even if I have a US funds account). Oh well, again, no big deal. Apparently, there is auto-reconcile of transactions through AI functionality in Wave's future, which will address another pet peeve I have, but again no big deal.
August 12, 2018
November 19, 2017

“Easy to use and helpful”

OverallEasy, almost fully automated bookkeeping. The invoicing and payment features automatically updates my books when I get paid, the bank connection means that I only have to reconcile my account to make sure everything is ok.
ProsThis is great for the very new or very small business. It's easy to use and has all of the basic features that you will need for an unbeatable price. It's very easy to use and the documentation and support have been very helpful. There is no phone option but live chat is available and I have never had to wait more than a day for an e-mail response. It is truly free to use for accounting. You have the options of accepting credit card and bank payments for a very competitive rate. The only other cost is for payroll if you were to use that feature. The software is in active development and since I started using it they have added great features such as Invoicing app, recurring payments, and bank payments and it keeps getting better.
ConsLimited reporting, you get all of the basics that you will need to measure your financial health, receivables, etc but there are no custom reports. While you can very easily reconcile your bank account, you can't print a reconciliation report. There is no class/job tracking feature and while it looks like many users have requested it, it doesn't look like the developers are planning on implementing it anytime soon. So if your business needs this feature, this is not the right option for you.
November 19, 2017
Gregg B.
Executive Director
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
November 27, 2018

“Free accounting with added features and mobile tools”

OverallReally powerful accounting software with automated tools for transaction importing, electronic payment processing and mobile tools for expense entry and invoice creation. Excellent for the price, knowing the service fees for payments and payroll offset the "free" price tag is more than worth it compared to the competition.
ProsWave allows me to keep track of finances for multiple enterprises - self-employment business, a non-profit, and personal finances. Each account was set up using the Wave wizard and very few changes have been made to the overall function beyond that. The non-profit I manage has a series of account codes that were easily added and applied to transactions. I use multiple income streams for my business and they are all imported automatically. Wave charges for things like payroll administration, credit card processing and bank transfers - all at industry standard rates - and that's how they keep the base platform free. The mobile expense app helps me keep track of receipts and does a really excellent job of deciphering receipts, even in multiple languages and currencies! The mobile invoice app is great for sending quick invoices or following up with clients on payment. Also allows viewing and reporting for authorized agents who can't change any data - a needed feature for the separation of financial powers required with most non-profit setups. My accountant can take a peek too.
ConsOne feature that is present in most accounting systems is the ability to categorize an expense as a reimbursed expense and then assign it to an invoice - at cost or with a markup. With Wave, I needed to set up a separate "reimbursed expenses" account and then - via double entry - add the expense onto invoices with a "reimbursed expense" account code. If entered at cost, the balances zero out in the reporting. If there is a markup, the income category is "reimbursed expense", which isn't helpful for year-end accounting.
November 27, 2018
Belinda S.
Creative Director
October 9, 2018

“Simple Online Invoicing - Accounting Tool”

OverallAs a small freelance shop, we needed an invoicing program with accounting capabilities that was simple to learn and use as well as being flexible enough for multiple devices. We tried several other programs but they were either too expensive or too complicated, with many functions we didn't need, or were too hard to learn. It took very little time for us to learn and set up Wave Accounting for our office and start using the invoicing feature. We're quite pleased with the program.
ProsWe found Wave to be easy to learn and set up and it allowed us to connect to both bank and credit card accounts. Invoicing is easy and flexible allowing us to download a pdf and attach to an email for a client or to send directly from Wave. Our clients can print the invoice and mail us a check or pay online with a credit or debit card through Wave. Wave's fees are competitive for processing the funds. The funds are directly deposited into our connected bank account, usually within two business days. The invoicing features were our biggest need and the program allows us to send the invoice, send reminders, mark paid and send receipts. Setting up the chart of accounts was probably the most challenging, but there is a default chart which can be edited or added to and we easily found tutorials online. Their customer service was quite responsive to our questions. The reports function gave us what we needed for monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting. All in all, Wave was a great solution for our invoicing and accounting needs.
ConsWe needed some specific tax calculations but found there was no way to add a specific formula into the tax account. This requires manual entries for us. Because the program is a streamlined accounting version, which is what we really like, it does have some limitations.
October 9, 2018
Belinda S.
Creative Director
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
October 10, 2017

“Simple Back Office Accounting ”

OverallWave seems to be a company looking toward the future for small businesses. With their affordable, cloud based solution they also offer a receipt app for adding images to the expense files. There are many other integrations I expect to use in the future via the Wave Zapier connection. I have been using it for a year now and am just so pleased with how Wave works.
ProsFor small studios, new and busy entrepreneurs who trying to generate enough revenue to hire or outsource the accounting functions, Wave is like an answer to prayer. It is easy to open an account, it has all the accounting ledgers that the tax accountant needs, it connects to read-only of bank accounts and credit card accounts, and did I mention it is a free cloud-based solution. The user interface is easy to understand. You can create and send invoices as well as connect a business bank account to receive payment with Credit or Debit cards. The bank fees are the same as other payment processors at 3% currently. The invoicing function allows for automatically reminding clients when their invoice is getting close to being due and when it is overdue. Once the money is received it is a simple click or two to mark the invoice paid and tell it which account the money was received into. Like other complicated accounting software, Wave allows for setting up products, sales tax and customers. Unlike the complicated ones, it is easy to do. Running sales tax reports is a piece of cake. There are options for running employee payroll, too. All in all, because of the Wave accounting solution, I am no longer afraid of the books and can easily keep up with the administration of the financial side of my business.
ConsIt would be helpful if there were more tutorials available, but because the program is easy to set up, it has not been a big problem to figure things out or find third-party tutorials online.
Al C.
Computer Consultant
Computer Networking, 11-50 employees
October 8, 2016

“Great Software for Small Business (Beta User)”

OverallI started a business and wanted to avoid getting locked into the Quickbooks infrastructure like last time. Wave Accounting online was successful in helping me with that goal! I found everything I needed for income and tax reporting as a small business. Wave Accounting made me look very professional with the ability to email invoices and collect payment using credit cards. Issues I encountered included occasional sync problems with my checking account (similar to issues's I've had with MINT by Intuit). When I decided to change from Suntrust bank to a local credit union I went a couple of months without ability to sync my accounts. Customer support (by email) was friendly and adequate. Some features like payroll are paid features. Processing credit cards will cost you a percentage of each transaction (4% it was at the time I used it). Some features like paying 1099 (contract) employees were very necessary for small business but still in development while I used the software (it works now). I didn't personally find anything else fundamental missing but I'm not an accountant - I'm an IT guy who wanted to do my own books. Wave fit my needs exactly and will probably be enough for you. During the time I owned and operated my business I may have saved over $300/year and avoided the frustration of working with the crazy behemoth that is Quickbooks (however my credit card fees added up to about twice that). If I were starting over again today I would have to carefully reconsider and compare with Quickbooks Online. I would NEVER willfully choose to run their desktop products. Cloud based products with online support and integrated security features is the current way to go.
ProsCloud
ConsSupport
Recommendations to other buyersRuns on anything because it runs in a browser!
October 8, 2016
Jenny M.
Administrative Assistant
August 1, 2018

“What an amazing product!!!”

OverallEasy management of all financial needs for my not for profit; accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts.
ProsThis accounting package is a fully functional, forever free, product that has turned me, a nuffer when it comes to bookkeeping/accounting to someone who almost knows what they are doing. I have ALWAYS avoided the finance side of the non for profit with which I work as a volunteer, but circumstances forced me to get at least a working knowledge and Wave has made it so easy. The package comes complete with accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts. It also does bank reconciliations and lots of different reports. All of this was far more than we needed. I read some of their FAQs then launched myself. Made some mistakes as I set up customers but was able to fix it fairly easily. Our invoices look so professional now and I can schedule them to send reminders. It links to over 90 banking institutions (ours included- yay!) and that has made tracking payments and and creating reports SO easy. The transaction stuff is easy to modify, and deposits can be split and allocated to the correct chart of accounts if they were all paid in one payment. The income and expenses for your budget are easy to set up (chart of accounts) and it has things I definitely have no idea about like equity and assets! You can add guest contributors, and allocated them ac There is an option to use credit card payments. That is the only cost. We have chosen not to use that yet, but I think we will, moving forward.
ConsYou can upload a .cvs file with all your customers, but it has to be SO exact that I could not succeed at all and inputted my customers manually. As there were only about 60 it was not too bad. Support were good, but slow, and I had done the manual input before they replied.
August 1, 2018
Shaye W.
Wine and Spirits, 1-10 employees
August 20, 2019

“accounting and bookkeeping as easy as it gets”

OverallOverall, I'm quite happy. It was an accounting software that came with my banking when I opened a new business account. It has exceeded my expectations in terms of its capabilities and user friendliness. Anyone can use it without having an accounting degree.
ProsBookkeeping is one of my least favorite things about owning a business but this application has helped quite a bit. It makes it super easy to track invoices and collect payments. Invoices are extremely professional looking and easy to edit and update.
ConsI have a tough time figuring out how to use two different currencies and still maintain consistency. There are also a couple of things that I have yet to explore and for that reason I still use a spreadsheet.
August 20, 2019
Jeff B.
Web Developer
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
June 5, 2019

“Free and Simple Accounting Web Application”

OverallI was surprised that a fee accounting web application had all the features that I wanted. The Invoice, Client, and Product tools all worked as expected. I have not had a single issue in the past 7+ years of using this.
ProsI do a small amount of freelance work in addition to my full time job. I was looking for a way to keep track of my hours and send invoices. I didn't need anything fancy, but a spreadsheet just wasn't cutting it. I wasn't making enough from freelancing to pay a lot for accounting software or an accounting service, but it was becoming a necessity. I was surprised to find a free option that wasn't missing the features I needed. I have been using Accounting by Wave for over 7 years and Always recommend it to any freelancer that I meet.
ConsThere was a bit of a Learning Curve to this web application, but that may have just been with inexperience with any accounting application. Also I initially wasn't thrilled with the watermarks that go out on the invoices, but I was ultimately okay with this remembering that it is a free application.
June 5, 2019
Retail, 1-10 employees
April 12, 2019

“Great bookkeeping solution for online businesses”

OverallVery good value and great solution for small businesses and startup. Improvements over the years have shown forward looking development team which other providers often seem to lack.
ProsBest overall value for online bookkeeping solution. Due to changes in recent years with other similar platforms as far as pricing structures, updates, and feature implementation, Wave accounting seems to have become best overall value for small businesses and startups in our opinion. Easily allows connection and synchronization with virtually all major financial institutions and saves tremendous amounts of bookkeeping time. It used to run very slow, had an unintuitive interface, and feel outdated. However, they have made many changes in the right direction in the past few years with a new interface, faster platform, and very competitive optional plans that include payroll service and payment processing.
ConsThe biggest downside is that everything is limited to income and expense. It would be nice to have the ability to generate balance sheets which is required for any corporate filings. I feel it cannot be considered a comprehensive accounting platform if limited to income and expenses only.
Sarah P.
March 6, 2018

“Great Web Based Accounting Solution for my Business”

OverallI now have a very clean and easy to understand accounting and invoicing software. It's a quick learn and easy and fast to use so I can focus on my clients.
ProsI love that this is free and has the ability to do more complicated accounting that my business requires. It has a clean UI, the Receipts app works perfectly, and my client facing invoicing system looks professional. I love that I can set up recurring invoices, different rates for services, payment reminders to clients, and email confirmations of payment. The accounting side has the ability to create more detailed journal entries that my LLC / contractor based business has. And I can run very good reports for data that I need to monitor. And so far the entire software has every feature that I've needed.
ConsWhen you go to create a new expense account, you can't just add a new one, you have to change the name of an existing option in their system. It's a bit weird and annoying, but small price to pay for free and useful software. Also I don't actually have Wave synced with my bank account. I did that initially, then realized if I load a receipt, it was double booking my entries (1. the receipt I uplodaded and 2. the transaction from my bank account). Turns out this is common with accounting softwares and most people I talked to don't sync their bank accounts for this very reason. Again, small price to pay for a great software, and it's really super quick for me to enter my transactions as my way of reconciling my bank account.
March 6, 2018
Michi R.
July 26, 2019

“Online bookkeeping”

OverallOverall it has been a good experience with Wave. I enjoy that the options I need are free at the moment and the option to charge and collect through Wave is there for me to use in the future. I also like that their customer service is responsive and you can chat when you have questions.
ProsI enjoy being able to access my information no matter where I am. The ability to create and send invoices from anywhere is important for my business. I also enjoy that I can help manage multiple businesses from one login.
ConsThere's a small issue with tax computation whereby the rounding takes place at the line item level and is causing in certain instances a small overcharge (Penny to pennies) on the tax. They are aware of this issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved.
July 26, 2019
Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees
May 17, 2019

“Wave Review”

OverallWave makes accounting so easy for a non-accountant and has given me ability to stay on top of my finances because I now update my accounts daily. Tax time is much easier and I'm sure my accountant will give a sigh of relief this year.
ProsI had struggled with my accounts for many years and sometimes avoided them until it was absolutely necessary. Tax time became a nightmare and I felt embarrassed each time the accountant asked me questions I had no answers to. My business is pretty easy to account for so I didn't need a large software program. With Wave, I was able to set up and update my accounts in one afternoon. It's helped me reconcile all my wallets and I love the fact that I can generate any reports I require very fast.
ConsThey don't have an offline version so I can't update my accounts without internet access.
May 17, 2019
Paul C.
CFO
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
September 18, 2017

“Simple, Cloud-Based, and Integrates Well”

OverallSimple, easy to use, consolidates many banking accounts into a single reporting system, good invoicing features and the mobile app for invoicing is pretty good.
ProsInvoicing has improved greatly with the additional of bank transfers (fee is 1%) so you can kiss the 3 or 4% credit card fees goodbye. This may not make a huge cost savings for those businesses with small ticket items but higher priced ticket items using the bank transfer option save a good chunk of change. Invoices are easy to generate and pay either via the desktop or mobile application. Our organization has multiple banking accounts and we use this tool to consolidate it all into one report. Reporting is solid and meets our basic needs for balance sheet, aged accounts receivable and income statement.
ConsA stronger mobile app for handling accounts payable or pulling an income statement or balance sheet reporting is missing so getting the latest sales figures on your mobile device while your boss is calling you in a panic can be a bit tricky. Extracting the raw data is a bit tricky by having to run transactional reports but overall this still works pretty well.
September 18, 2017
SUMMER A.
Animal transport specialist
Import and Export, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 10, 2019

“Easy to use and provides a basic free service”

OverallI like using wave, I think that it gives me very professional looking invoices. I would have liked to have logged my earnings, but I totally understand why it is done this way and I do not blame them at all. If I get to the point where I can afford the software, I suspect this is the one I would pay for.
ProsThe layout of the invoices looks really professional and it is very adaptable. I also really liked that when you send the invoice it can be sent not just as a link but it can be sent as a pdf document and that you can cc yourself automatically. There is a nice reminder feature and also it adds up your income automatically. There is a credit card feature that is really good if you have that in your business. Another thing I REALLY liked was that it was available on an app. That way I could use it out of office on my mobile without having to log onto the website.
ConsI think its because I had the free trial version that I was not able to update to reflect that the bill had been paid. It would be nice if there was a receipt feature that can be emailed automatically once payment is logged. (This may be a feature in the paid software)
September 10, 2019
Susan H.
Graphic Artist
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2019

“Saved My Client Project”

OverallTwo is one and one is none. You can't have all of your apples in one basket. Don't always assume that all clients will want to use your established invoicing vendor. Accounting by Wave is a viable option to explore.
ProsAccounting by Wave totally saved a big client project for me. I have to confess that I normally use another program that shall not be named to do client invoicing. HOWEVER... I had an established client contact me with a big job who recently had a falling out with that site. YIKES! I was scrambling to find a good alternative and Wave saved the day.
ConsI'm sure I'm not using the program to the fullest. At this time, I don't see any negative aspects to note.
August 30, 2019
Zahra H.
Head of Business ops
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
August 24, 2019

“Amazing Accounting Solution”

OverallI can do all expense tracking as well well as invoicing and emailing notifications, super cool stuff! Love it. The iOS is fantastic, its syncs well and gives me no lag time. With Xero I had a headache, but with wave, its like... awesome!
ProsIts free, easy to setup, no accounting background required to make sense of this service, imported stuff easily, just plain easy and I use it. The iOS and Android apps are great.
ConsNothing! I'm still not sure when they'll ask for money, because it free and I use it for all my personal and professional businesses.
August 24, 2019
Quinn B.
Photography, Self-employed
February 9, 2019

“Perfect for One-Person Businesses ”

OverallWave has and still is the best solution for me. I originally started using it because it was one of the only accounting/invoicing services that had a free plan. That was important for me because I run a debt-free business and didn't want to pay for a monthly service before I even had my first client. Wave's support is also some of the best I've experienced - they're thorough and take the time to go above and beyond to help explain the answer any question I've had.
ProsWave has allowed me to send invoices, collect payments, and keep track of income/expenses all in one place. I am a one-person business and when I was first starting my business, I didn't have the need or money to hire a book keeper or accountant. My overhead was low and I only had a few clients each month. The free plan that Wave has helped me manage all of the important accounting stuff by myself without sucking a ton of time out of the week. I've used Wave for years as I've scaled up.
ConsThere was definitely a learning curve to get it set up and understand how it worked. The invoicing and payment setup I needed weren't complicated, but the capabilities of Wave overwhelmed me at first. It can do so much, and the hardest part was to understand the specific features I needed. I wish there were options during setup to view Wave in either a simple setup (i.e. basic accounting, invoicing, payments) or a comprehensive setup (using their accountants, payroll, receipt capture, bookkeepers, etc.)
February 9, 2019
John M.
Owner, Consultant
December 13, 2017

“Great for basics, not for the advanced”

ProsI enter my bills, get reminders, and create all of my invoices with Wave. I even track my hourly time by creating estimates, then turning those estimates in to invoices once a month. Basic stuff, but very helpful. I used to use Quickbooks, but that was like a Porche when all I needed was an old Ford. I have no bookkeepping background, not an accountant, but I find Wave helpful and simple.
ConsOnly one contact per company is allowed, which is annoying. For instance when invoicing, most people want the invoice to go direct to their accounting dept. But if you work for someone other than that accounting person, in order to cc them with the invoice you need to manually enter their email address on each invoice. Every month. There is no function to easily track your time, and if you bill by the hour this can be a big deal. But there is a work around. In my case I invoice monthly on the 15th. So to start I will create an estimate with a date of the following month on the 15th. Enter my product, the description will look something like "11.30.17 Phone call with Steve", quantity is hours or decimals of hours (i.e. 0.5 = 30 minutes), and the price is my hourly rate. It works. Each task will have it's own line on the estimate, and when converted to an invoice the customer gets a detailed invoice with date, what I did, duration, etc.
December 13, 2017
Armando R.
Central VT
Media Production, 1001-5000 employees
July 29, 2019

“Best free accounting software”

OverallMy new "go-to" invoice software. Having multiple clients from different countries. i need a versatile tool so i can get paid without hassle.
ProsThe ability to create multiple currency businesses under the same account. How easy it is to send an invoice and get paid. INtegration with Stripe
ConsThe integration with stripe could be worked a bit. Need to create a "new business" under the same account so i can send invoices in different currencies.
July 29, 2019
Waji A.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
August 14, 2019

“Good producto for your daily accounting needs”

OverallI am managing a small IT company and really like using Wave for my financial needs
ProsThe design layout, navigation and features (especially connecting bank account to import transaction and be able to store receipt images) are all good for a new start-up company to manage their accounting needs. Help guide is very detailed and easy to understand plus their support staff is good at resolving issues.
ConsRecording mileage feature is missing which is a big drawback
August 14, 2019
Graphic Design, Self-employed
June 11, 2019

“Excellent Software For A Small Business”

OverallExcellent! It's an amazing application for running the accounting side if things for a small business. I'm not sure if this would be successful for larger businesses, but it could, I use Wave for my Graphic Design business. I own an Etsy store, where I sell templates for business cards and marketing materials. I have an order placed through Etsy where the client provides their details to be printed on these. I enter the customer and the invoice into Wave, mark it as Paid, then order the printing and enter a bill for my vendor. I can also invoice clients through Wave (non-Etsy clients), where I created a sharp, professional-looking invoice template.
ProsEase of use: Wave provides the easiest and most user-friendly interface I've ever seen for a free accounting application. From entering invoices to entering bills to running reports, it's all self-explanatory. Invoicing: Create your sharp-looking invoice template that you can send to clients to request payment. The application will track and notify of the invoice from being read to receiving payment.
ConsEtsy Integration: The Etsy integration is a great idea and makes things even easier. However, I discovered this integration after I had been using the application for months. Since I had manually entered hundreds of invoices manually, there was no way to match those existing invoices with the existing invoices from Etsy.
June 11, 2019
Igor M.
Design, 1-10 employees
April 5, 2019

“Everything You Need for Your Business Books ”

OverallVery nice and reliable software. I would 100% recommend Wave for small to mid-size businesses. Maybe not the best match for large corporations though (lacking some accounting features). It does what it is made for! It is FREE! It is great :-)
ProsVery easy to use. Great design and UI/UX All basic features, required for keeping your books straight. Fancy easy to use mobile app. Fancy, modern invoice templates. Invoice payment by Credit Cards (standard 2.9%) and bank transfers (at only 1%!). Payroll. No glitches or any technical issues after a few years of using it! It is FREE and no Ads! You can get support from IN-HOUSE! Wave bookkeepers or a consultation with a CPA (paid feature)
ConsConnection with your bank might give you some duplicate entries (the system creates one entry when invoice gets paid online and pulls up the second one (duplicate) from your bank when funds get deposited). This is not a big problem, just something to watch for.
April 5, 2019
Miranda S.
Member / Owner Designer
May 10, 2018

“Love this bookkeeping program (and it's free!)”

OverallSo far Wave is my favorite bookkeeping system for my home fashion design business, number one, because it's free and every dollar I save really counts, and two, I can use it on my ipad or my iphone anywhere and do business outside of my loft. I have yet to use the integrated Payroll as well but hoping to test that out very soon. I really appreciated the online live training sessions too. I thought that was helpful although the program is already easy to use.
ProsIt's FREE! I've been spending dollars per month with two other online bookkeeping programs and this free program does pretty much everything they do. It's simple, quick (fairly quick page load times) and offers all the reports I need. Customer support is great and they have 3 live training's every week. I'm impressed with how much they offer with virtually no costs. They also offer bank and debit/credit invoice payments right in the program with 1% and I think the usual 2.9% processing.
ConsSometimes pages take a while to load because it's an online program. Also, pages open up in new tabs which isn't even that bad to me, I just find myself gathering up 10+ tabs then having to close them all out. Reconciling can be tricky because it's not a conventional reconcile and I find myself going back and forth between pages looking for the mismatch culprits.
May 10, 2018
Cindy B.
Video Storyteller & Strategist
August 7, 2019

“Wave Makes Bookkeeping Easy”

OverallI've been using Wave since the early days and absolutely love it. It's so easy to create and send professional-looking invoices, and get paid by direct deposit or credit card through a link on the invoice. I enter all my income and expenses, and can print out reports when tax season rolls around. The dashboard also displays several graphs to help me visualize how much is coming in each month, and where my money is being spent.
ProsWave is really user-friendly and easy to set up. Great software for keeping track of all my invoices and expenses!
ConsThere's nothing I don't like, except for the fees that are charged when a client pays an invoice through Visa or direct deposit. But Wave has to make money somehow!
August 7, 2019
Tabitha T.
veterinarian
Veterinary, Self-employed
July 19, 2018

“The free version is great for my needs”

ProsI like the simple layout of the software. I also like the iPhone app that allows me to make and send invoices as soon as I finish a job. They've changed the way transactions show up when downloaded from your bank so now I can easily match them to invoices. The simple reports are perfect for my needs. The best part is that it's pretty easy to figure out how to use Wave on a basic level for sole proprietors who have a dozen or so clients.
ConsSome people might not like the double entry system of accounting. Personally, I've chosen to ignore that feature and simply use the app like a simple transaction register. My accounts don't balance and I don't reconcile with my bank statements. I probably only have 20 or fewer transactions per month so I'm pretty aware of what's going on. If I had to make everything balance, I think the app might be harder to use.
July 19, 2018
Nicholas S.
Police Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
April 12, 2019

“Accounting Without the Fees ”

OverallOverall, it's my Go-To Accounting software for my business and personal reselling. My accountant loves the profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc. when it comes tax time. They need to be on your list if you're looking for a business or personal option.
ProsI've been using Wave long before their new long, Wave Apps update and so much more. What I love about the company and the software is that they continue to improve on and grow the free part of the offering. I use it for my business and my personal reselling business. For both accounts, I don't pay a single dime. They have paid options for Payroll, banking, personal accountants, etc. but I haven't needed to utilize them. I love that the options exist for those that want it. I had previously used GoDaddy Bookeeping, and I'm so glad I don't have to go back. Wave Accounting allows me to sync my PayPal account in for free, and it automatically brings in new transactions as they occurr.
ConsMy only real gripe was that I couldn't sync my bank with them. This was my issue however as I used a local bank that had 5 branches in the country, so it made sense that they didn't have the integration. That bank has now been bought and my new bank syncs without issue!
Sourav K.
Administrator
Higher Education, Self-employed
October 12, 2018

“The best accounting software for startups and freelancers”

OverallThis is the only accounting software I use and have used over the years for my business so I could say it has solved a huge business problem for me, Acoounting.
ProsThe experience with Wave has been awesome. When I first came accross this software I could not believe the fact that they were giving this away for free, everything except the payroll feature of this software was free. Invoicing, unlimited ledgers, journal entries, cashbook, p/l account, balance sheet and beautiful charts to report finances over a period. Being a the owner of a small company and a freelancer Wave has been a life saver against all the expensive accouting software out there.
ConsTo be honest there is nothing I would like to complain about but since I want to unbiased there is just one thing they could improve on and that is the time taken to save new transactions is a bit slow and the UI looks terrible on mobile. That is to say it is not mobile friendly, and they do not have a native application for mobile as well.
October 12, 2018
SarahGeorge D.
Internet, 1-10 employees
September 13, 2017

“Free accounting tools that work!”

OverallSaved my from making bad decisions with money as a new business owner and it has simplified my billing process!
ProsI love Waveapps recurring billing features. Its easy to set up and easy to manage. Clients can save their credit card or pay by bank draft. I don't have to manage multiple payment setups, I just send an invoice from Waveapps and they pay how they want to. If the customer is in the store I can just process their card by typing in the details. Receipts to my clients and from my spending are just as simple. As well, I get a view on my company and personal finances anytime I need it. There is an app for receipts and for invoicing/payments.
ConsI would love to be able to produce better reports to provide my accountant with for tax purposes. I would love an app that allowed me to log in to my full account from my phone.
September 13, 2017
Patrick A.
Furniture, 1-10 employees
April 25, 2019

“Great No Cost Small Business Accounting Option.”

OverallThis is where small business accounting started for me and I am really glad it was there for me to cut my teeth on. Did I mention that it is free to use!
ProsIt is free, as in no cost. It was a good feature set that is basic but checks all the boxes. For the money it is a great option and a super place to learn about keeping small business books. Highly recommended if you are just starting out and don't want to get roped into a subscription type service.
ConsThere are some aspects of the UI that are clumsy or tedious. For example an operation that could be accomplished in one or two clicks requires 3 or 5 clicks. Sounds like a nit pick, but not when there is an operation that you need to repeat maybe dozens or hundreds of times that requires lots of clicks and submenus. So the flow is not there and it would be easy to correct with some attention to the actual functional user experience. There are also some functions that could easily be automated that are not and so it starts to feel tedious. It also is a more generic set of tools and integrations that are not quite as relevant as some of the other paid options. But it is free and I did use it happily for years.
April 25, 2019
Adrienne G.
Manager, Membership
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
March 20, 2019

“Great Alternative to Quickbooks! ”

ProsFor a small business, this FREE software does everything we need for it to. We were in search of an alternative to Quickbooks and Wave certainly delivered. We need to create and track invoices and client payments and Wave certainly helped us organize our Accounting. This is also cloud-based so multiple users can log in or access this software anywhere they have an internet browser and internet connection. Our Finance Department is able to pull reports when they need in realtime without having to wait on our team to do anything. The set up was very easy. I certainly don't have an accounting background and I was able to configure everything with ease. We don't require the paid features for what we need to do so the fact that Wave is free was such a bonus.
ConsI had a difficult time separating streams of revenue, initially. When I did try to add new accounts, Wave was a little bit "glitchy".
March 20, 2019
Alexander C.
January 16, 2016

“Wave is an outstanding accounting app”

OverallAfter many years with Quicken, and some considerable frustration, we were looking to move to a new accounting app. I researched Mint and many others, then came across Wave, which was extremely well reviewed and had extremely high security ratings - a vital factor in accounting software. Wave has been quite literally a breath of fresh air. Cloud based and with the capability not only of linking your bank accounts directly to the software (as strongly encrypted read-only data), one of the major attractions was that you could also choose to upload data from your bank as statements in csv file format, thus not directly linking your accounts at all. With transactions automatically uploaded or synced, verifying them and adding your own categories or individual transaction notes is a breeze. We've had a few questions about how to create new categories and how to split transactions (you create new categories in the Accounting tab, rather than the Transactions tab) and have emailed Wave Support regarding perhaps five or six issues. Each time we received a friendly, full and very clear step by step explanation of what we needed to do. Wave offers a premium version with additional support, which I'm sure is excellent, but replies to our questions regarding the free version have always come within a day or so. I have no complaints at all about the capabilities of Wave, and it makes bookkeeping very fast. The fact that it can be accessed from any computer is a big plus, and means that our accountant can examine any transaction easily, should he need to. The app is very versatile and pleasing to use. We actually look forward to updating our accounts, which was certainly never the case with Quicken. Updating has been seamless, and adding manual entries is easy, too. I would highly recommend Wave. I'm astonished it's free. If it could become an iOS app as well, I would be over the moon - especially if it could incorporate fingerprint recognition security in the manner of SplashID, RobinHood and other vital iPhone apps. Many thanks to the Wave developers and support team. It's an outstanding app and I wish it every success.
January 16, 2016
Quintin P.
Computer Hardware, Unspecified
December 1, 2015

“I suggest this to my startup business clients”

OverallI'm two years into my business and for nearly the first year I used Wave. It's what I suggest to my clients who are looking for something cloud-based and easy to use. Yes, it is not perfect, but it's FREE. I currently use InvoiceASAP, but I'm strongly considering switching back to Wave after the first of the year. Why? The cost of one, but features are another. Nothing else free compares.
ProsReceipt scanner. Invoices look nice. Email is sent from Wave account (Not quite sure that is a plus or a negative). Connects to your Bank Account and lets your categorize the transaction. Dashboard has great-looking layout with graphs. Paid invoices are marked as a receipt instead of an invoice which makes more sense to me. Will alert you of non-payment on a regular basis. Sales Tax Report is basic, but layout is very appealing. Has Premium Payroll option starting at $19/month with direct deposit included. On a more positive note, I recently received an email from the CEO saying to look out for improvements to Wave in the near future. Apparently, there will be new tools and features and it will be faster. I look forward to that.
ConsThe App on iPhone and iPad is slow. I don't remember using support, so I can really speak to how quick or effective they are. It's FREE so I'm guessing it's not superior. It's not Quickbooks, but it works. However, it you have Quickbooks (Stand Alone version) on your computer and you bank with an up-to-date institution that allows you can integrate for a fee and not have to pay an additional ongoing subscription to Quickbooks online.
December 1, 2015
Rich D.
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees
September 30, 2019

“Awesome cloud accounting!”

OverallI searched for free online invoicing and found Wave Apps. I was skeptical at first, but found it easy to set up and use. I've recommended it to a colleague who started using it too and she loves it.
ProsWave accounting is super easy to set up and use. It makes us look more professional in our quoting and invoicing and helps us keep track of our receivables. We can have more than on person accessing it at one time which for us is really helpful. Best of all it's free to use at the level we're using it for. We're a very small company, so this helps us greatly.
ConsThere is nothing that I can think of at the moment that I dislike about the Wave accounting software.
September 30, 2019
Shelle P.
Principal
December 8, 2016

“Very Powerful for the price!”

OverallWave is a very powerful accounting program that syncs with your banking, giving you separate setups for your business and personal accounting with an ability to transfer transactions between. We all know we need to keep business and personal separate, but it happens at times - we throw in one business item in a cartful of personal ones! Create estimates and turn them into invoices, allow online paying from your invoices - it is seriously a very powerful application. The one bad thing is that it can run a little slow, but they have made improvements several times since I started (2 years ago) and are always working on improvements (new UI launching soon and they just gave a preview with a survey for feedback).
Pros- Free version lets you do everything except maybe payroll - Sync with your banking - Great estimates, invoicing and online payments - Great reporting - Ability to transfer transactions between personal and business accounting
Cons- It doesn't "remember" your account categories for sync'd transactions - A little slow - If you don't understand basic accounting, you might need to sign up for a paid version to get the level of support you may need (according to some of my clients I've recommended it to)
Recommendations to other buyersGive it a try - you have absolutely nothing to lose and incredible to gain!
December 8, 2016
Martha W.
Owner / Rental Manager
Events Services, 1-10 employees
June 1, 2019

“Great Invoicing & Account Software”

OverallIt's been great! The support is helpful but rarely needed because the system is so easy to use. I highly recommend it.
ProsWave is AMAZING! When I first started our business I looked high and low for a simple to use, elegantly designed, and inexpensive option for invoicing and Wave was the only one I found that hit all the marks. They have a sleek, beautiful design that is easy to use even for beginners and the software works extremely well for small-medium size businesses. They also offer seamless online payments, reminders, & payroll if needed. Overall we have been very happy with the program.
ConsNot as many accountants are comfortable using anything other than quickbooks at this point but I've found the pro's far outweigh this con.
June 1, 2019
Celine S.
Photographer
Photography, Self-employed
November 14, 2017

“I use this software for invoicing and credit card option for my clients, and I love it.”

ProsIt's free (except for credit card usage and a few other things. It's professional, looks great and keeps things organized for me. I haven't used all the options, as I haven't needed to as yet, but I'm looking forward to using more of the tools available to me. I can send invoices directly from the software or download a pdf and just attach it to an invoice. I can see if a client has opened and seen the invoice. It tells me what invoices are overdue, and I can send a reminder. I can customize the look with my logo, and my colour scheme. Once set up, it's so easy to use.
ConsThe receipt that you can send to your client to state that the invoice has been paid, is a bit cheesy. It has a PAID 'stamp' at the bottom, it kinda looks cheap, it could be classier. Also, the 'services' sections, where you can put your services and the price, and select to place in the invoice is unalterable once used in an invoice. You can't remove it from the list, or else you will delete the invoice in question. My services list is soo long because of this and is annoying to find the correct one.
November 14, 2017
Scott E.
October 10, 2017

“It's free, which makes it great, but it's rather slow and not terribly intuitive”

OverallI don't have crazy complicated accounting needs, so Wave is perfect due to the fact that it's free and works well enough. Diving into other accounting software would only be worth it if you have a lot more transactions and more complicated tax scenarios, but if you don't then save your money and use Wave.
ProsMy favorite thing about Wave is that it's free, plain and simple. For any organization that doesn't have complicated books, Wave is a great option that gives you all of the basics. Hooking up accounts is easy, even exporting your financials for an account is relatively easy. I also love their new invoicing platform. It makes nice looking invoices, and so we exclusively make our invoices through them now. We don't have high volume, but I'm happy I don't have to use an external additional piece of software to do invoices.
ConsThe UI is clunky, often slow, and labeling transactions is a chore. On Mint.com labeling and adjusting all your various transactions is really quite straight forward, but on Wave I gave up on it quite awhile ago. To be honest, the biggest issue can be boiled down to not having one option: "Always categorize this option as xyz" What makes Mint.com WAY less tedious is that if I see "Google Apps Svc" on my transactions, I can change that to Software Expenses and hit a button that says "Always Categorize transactions from them as Software Expenses" - boom, never have to do it again. With Wave, every single time it miscategorizes the same thing, you have to go in and change it to the right thing again. This makes it such a pain, so I have to set aside time every few months to go in and change the categories.
Ranvir G.
Co-Founder
December 25, 2018

“Life saver for small business owners”

ProsThis accounting software had double entry book keeping, abiliy to sync your bank, balance sheet, profit and loss statementsand everything you could possibly need to keep the accounts of your business and what do we need to pay for this? Nothing, its free. It was awestruck to find this thing of beauty, feature for which I paid on other softwares for free, no strings attached. They only charge you for payroll maintenance. Oh and you can keep a track of your personal expenses here as well. There is a separate dedicated section for that as well.
ConsIts kind of slow and it shows a full page loader which I sometimes find really annoying. Apart from that it lacks an android app for its accounting software which could have been really handy. It does have a separate android app for scanning receipts but lacks one for its accounting app.
December 25, 2018
Sunil M.
VP of Finance
January 12, 2018

“Helpful for small businesses operating on simple structures.”

Pros- Ease of use (Menu and navigation is intuitive and well laid-out) - Simple setup (this was incredibly straightforward to set up and connect the different financial accounts needed.) - Direct point of contact for support (From the first day I could reach out to support with any questions) - Electronic receipt upload/storage (This makes keeping receipts way easier to both track and expense correctly) - Pre-generated reports make it easy to get started right out of the gate (this was VERY helpful as a startup business) - Bank and Credit Card automatic import (This is a manual process in other software that I checked out, and the fact that this is included AND incredibly easy to set up is an huge win!)
Cons - Central mobile app management is missing. (This would really push it all the way to 11 for me. Being able to keep tabs on the financial tracking from my phone or tablet would be way better than having to dig my laptop out of my bag to show a quick report or account balance.)
January 12, 2018
November 11, 2017

“Provides basic accounting with the best price (none!) and functions 95% of the time.”

OverallIt's no cost and it helps me keep track of where my money is going, and provides reports for taxes at the end of the year.
ProsThe cost The relative ease of use Easy to understand reports Helpful for end of year taxes and business financial review It's great that it imports directly from my bank account so I don't miss accounting
ConsCustomer support is only via Email with the free version. While it imports most of the time, about once a month I have to wait a week before it integrates my bank transactions. Every now and then it duplicates entries and I have to watch for that. It also offers no directions on what accounting terms mean. I am a small business owner with no accounting experience - a little help in that department would be nice.
November 11, 2017
Joshua E.
March 7, 2018

“I love wave! I could not do business without it. It's easy to use, fast, and efficient.”

OverallI can easily keep track of my sales. The invoices are customizable and can be emailed straight from the program. Everything looks very professional and makes record keeping so easy. I can easily turn the online payment off or on as needed, which is important for a small business although I do love the ability to have my customers pay online if they need to. I truly love that my business stays organized because of Wave. Can you tell I'm a huge fan?
ProsI can easily keep track of my expenses and my sales. I know exactly where my business stands financially and have easily-accessed records to prove it all.
ConsI do with the app worked more like the website so maybe in the future, the two will be more alike. That's really the only area for improvement I can think of.
March 7, 2018
Gillian C.
February 7, 2018

“Excellent product for tiny businesses”

OverallIt provides all my invoicing, expense tracking and tax reporting needed for my business.
ProsI have a business with just me for staffing. I needed accounting software, but didn't want Quickbooks (overkill for my small business). After searching and finding this (free of all things) option, I tried it out and haven't looked elsewhere since. This is probably the only product where I've actually read the Terms and Conditions (they're fun to read). Aside from that, they make the accounting easy, are always upgrading and improving their offerings and provide responsive customer support. It is quite robust and if you have a bigger business, they offer more for your needs (there may be fees involved at that point).
ConsSlower to receive bank payments. I can accept payments through Wave for a transaction fee. Credit card transactions have a higher fee and show up in my account fairly quick. The bank payment transaction fees are lower, but it does take 5+ days from my client paying to my receiving the funds in my account.
February 7, 2018