Stripe Billing Ratings

Overall

About Stripe Billing

Stripe Billing is a new suite of tools to help companies of all sizes automate, optimize, and scale recurring business models. Build even the most complex billing models, from simple seat licensing to complex multi-layered tiered metered plans. Stripe Billing also includes a new way for U.S. businesses to invoice customers. Email your customers an invoice that perfectly matches your company's branding and will securely collect payments. Learn more about Stripe Billing

Sarah V.
Content and Social Media Specialist
Design, 51-200 employees
September 25, 2019

“Easy Integration for a Variety of Content Management Systems”

OverallCustomer service is excellent, the product itself is excellent, and it fulfills all of our needs and the needs of our clients.
ProsStripe is by far the most secure, easy to use, and easily integrated service of its type. We work with organizations both large and small, and whether a client has team members who are going to be working in their CMS after their website is designed or not, Stripe is the best option. It is easy to use, even for beginners and even those who are not designers and developers, and the fact that it doesn't allow hackers to add code to the checkout page protects our clients better than any other system we've seen. We recommend a Stripe integration for every single client who has an online store or sells any number of products online.
ConsIt does require some knowledge of front end development to integrate with many CMS platforms, even Wordpress. It's not necessarily the easiest to setup, even if you know your way around Wordpress or drag and drop design platforms. The only other downside is that checkout forms are not customizable. This is actually not a bad downside for us because the reason they are not so is due to the inability to add custom code to the checkout form, making it more secure. Trading customization for security is a no brainer on our end, but if you are an agency with a picky client, or if you just really want a custom checkout form, Stripe won't work for you. Then again, if you're willing to have your customer's credit card information stolen just because you refuse to use a templated checkout form that looks modern and is efficient and easy to use, your opinion sucks anyway.
September 25, 2019
Nick T.
September 4, 2019

“The Best Payment Processor for both Beginners and Experienced Developers”

OverallMy experience with Stripe has been fantastic overall. They have done a great job with user experience and documentation. It's a company that truly opens up a world of entrepreneurial possibilities for everyone.
ProsStripe is easy to implement and offers a robust API for experienced developers to create highly customized solutions. It's easy to integrate with other platforms, create one-off charges for customers or subscriptions.
ConsWhile the fees are competitive, they can get high on high dollar transactions. I try to resort to ACH transactions for larger transactions, but they can take about a week to process. I wish this was faster.
September 4, 2019
Jon N.
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees

“Client Payment Option”

OverallI've used Stripe from the beginning and have had no issues with it.
ProsWhat I like most about Stripe is the level of encryption and security associated with the product. I also like the ease in which Stripe can be implemented / integrated on websites and e-commerce platforms.
ConsThe lack of other apps that can be used with Stripe but that's an industry wide issue, regardless of payment platform, due to privacy and security.
Becky D.
Consultant Owner
January 26, 2019

“Stripe is my first choice for all merchant processing needs”

OverallI love Stripe. I would use them for all of my merchant processing needs whenever possible. They have a solid platform that just works. Even if you are technically challenged, you can set up a Stripe account and plug it into your business. They do a great job of scrubbing transactions for potential fraud and they are quick to pay out, usually within 1-2 business days. My bank tried to get me to change my merchant processing to them from Stripe, but they wanted me to sign a contact for 2 years and pay monthly fees whether I used it or not. Stripe doesn't do any of that nonsense. They charge you for each transaction and that is it.
ProsIt is extremely easy to set up an account and authorize it for use. Reporting is easy and useful, and I love that I get a snapshot of my income immediately upon logging in. Adding in new business is easy and allows me to keep my revenue streams organized for both me and my customers. Each new business lets me set a new statement descriptor so my customers know what they are paying for when reviewing their credit card statements. They are integrated with many different platforms, including ecommerce and accounting software, so connecting the many pieces of your business is easy.
ConsThey have some extremely technical pieces of their software, including webhooks and API calls. If you are not technically minded, this can get confusing and potentially cause issues with your credit card processing. But as long as you are working with software that is integrated well (think Woocommerce or Xero) then it should be very easy to use Stripe in your business. Also, while it is great that they send emails to my customers that have issues with their recurring transactions, they do not give those customers a way to update their credit card information. This seems like a no brainer considering they are the processor and they are giving notice that they are unable to process the card they have on file. Instead, they continue to email my customer, who then contacts me and I have to try to sort this out for them.
January 26, 2019
Kamila G.
Founder & CEO ¿ Business Coach | Marketing Strategist | Online Training for Coaches & Experts
January 16, 2019

“It's what I use to process payments!”

OverallI am pleased with them so far, I have heard from colleagues saying they can easily process millions per year in Stripe and without issues so I am looking forward to continuing to grow with this payment processor by my side.
ProsI used to use my bank's merchant for 3-4 years, thinking they were giving me a better rate. long story short, they weren't AND they were confusing to use. So I switched to Stripe, which is frequently used in my field of coaching and digital products. I have been very happy so far. - I am able to process payments myself, it integrate with 3rd party shopping carts with ease (I use ThriveCart), it allows to create trials, subscriptions, all the things I wanted. PLUS I get to charge and bill clients on my own too with their cards on file which sometimes we have to do when the clients tell us to do so, instead of having to send constant shopping cart links. I was doing that before with Infusionsoft and my merchant, but now I can do it all within Stripe and it's easy. - I have not had any issues with Stripe holding my funds or anything. Pleased. - I like their simple reporting as well, how much money you've made each day, etc. It's nice to see the comparisons on the monthly basis as well.
Cons- It's a bit complicated to use for someone who might not be techy. I am pretty techy and I think I've got a handle on it, especially since I mainly use it as the processor with my shopping cart, but if I had to use Stripe on its own, it probably would get complicated. - Sometimes I find it hard to find what I need to in Stripe. Like, a payment would get declined and I'd want to rebill or attempt the rebill - sometimes it's hard to find the option to do that on the declined payment. I always do eventually find it, but I never know EXACTLY how to do it. - I wish the payments landed in my bank sooner but I just switched it so it lands in my bank like a day or so after being collected which is better. My own merchant would be next day so this is now closer. - Obviously always would be nicer if the fees were lower but it is on par with every other option out there so this can't really be a con since it's not HIGHER.
January 16, 2019
Richard I.
Chief Door Stop
June 5, 2018

“Super easy and straight-forward to integrate and use.”

OverallMost of our business transactions are processed through Stripe and we've set Stripe up for clients who require online merchant processing. By far the easiest and most straight-forward merchant processor to setup for online processing.
ProsHands down, the easiest merchant processor to integrate into Gravity Forms or WooCommerce - I have to imagine it integrates just as easy with other popular tools, but my experience is limited to Gravity Forms and WooCommerce. Within Stripe itself, navigating is intuitive and easy with very friendly report tools. Looking up transactions is easy and may be search by name, email address, transaction id, and even partial data (like billing address, product, etc). Full and partial refunds are also very easy to manage. The reporting is especially helpful as it goes back in detail for as long as you've been a customer (so, I have data going back 3 years all readily available). I also appreciate the popularity of Stripe and how common third-party integration has become - in my case into AgileCRM and Freshbooks. Lastly, they have an amazing free iPhone app. Very useful for when you're on the road and you can basically do everything from the app that you could do from their desktop dashboard.
ConsI have never won a dispute - no not one - and the process seems entirely automated. While I have only had four disputes in the past 12 months, all of which were admitted mistakes on the customer's part, I submitted emailed conversations with the client where they admitted error, and I still lost. Since then, I've been told it's best to get the client to contact their credit card company to rescind the dispute but it was frustrating that the process is so automated that it seems not to favor the merchant. So, with that in mind, if you ever have a dispute, work with the customer to get them to rescind it.
June 5, 2018
Larry M.
Creative Director
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
August 1, 2019

“Reliable, easy to use payment processing”

OverallWe have used AuthorizeNet, Square, and Stripe for our processing. So far, I'm much happier with Stripe than the others due to the ease of use, both in configuration and reviewing reports. After trying Stripe with one business, we quickly decided to move the others over. I hope they get around to adding a mobile solution similar to Square.
ProsThe best part of Stripe is how easy it is to set up. I'm using it for multiple businesses. Setting up each business was quick, easy, and error free. I'm able to access each business with a single login, but each business is kept independent, so it's clear and always easy to see which account I'm reviewing. In addition, adding others that need to have access (partners, bookkeeper, assistant), and granting them only the privileges they need has been equally straightforward. We have both custom applications that we needed to integrate Stripe with, as well as off the shelf packages/services and have found it very easy to set up for all of our uses. Navigating purchases, receipts, and reports is also easy. We have had no issues at all with service so far.
ConsThe only thing I'm disappointed by is the lack of a mobile solution. For mobile payments, we're using Square.
Amna R.
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
September 22, 2019

“One of the easiest payment processor!”

OverallOverall, because of the ease of signup, fast account starting, least lenghty forms, easy refunds etc, I really like it. Just wish they accepted high risk sites (maybe with higher fees etc?)
ProsIts very easy to sign up. I've tried dozens of payment processors and they all have tons of pages and information they ask first before we can begin our first transaction. The best thing about Stripe is that they can confirm your SSN with your name/address etc and voila, in 5 minutes after you sign up (which also takes at most 5 minutes), you can actually start collecting payments on your website!
ConsThey have no flexibility for high risk accounts. One of my client whose account was closed because of being 'high risk' (even though he didn't have ANY dispute for 6 months) offered them DOUBLE the comission, but STripe simply refused. Didn't budge or counter offer anything. That customer does half a million dollars worth of gross revenue business per annum right now (and growing), yet Stripe ditched him!
September 22, 2019
Binyamin K.
Farmer
Farming, Self-employed
February 10, 2019

“Wouldn't Use Any Other Online Payment Processor ”

OverallAlthough not particularly robust, Stripe is simple, easy, and reliable, and when it comes to handling other peoples money that is exactly what I'm looking for. Honest, simlple, easy, reliable!
ProsSometimes you just find exactly what you're looking for. When I stumbled upon Stripe it was one of those times. At first I was even skeptical, it sounded way too good to be true, an online payment processor that offered all the features I needed, was easy and intuitive to navigate. I showed it to a friend who told me if its too good to be true its probably a scam. But in this case I've been using Stripe for over five or six years and I couldn't be happier with it. Stripe is easy to use, and efficient. From Stripe, money is deposited directly into my bank account within a matter of a day or two. What's more, the online checkout on my webstore is, thanks to Stripe, very cutting edge looking which adds to costumer trust when purchasing my, not exactly inexpensive, products. I like Stripe. I trust Stripe. And, with the utmost confidence, I highly recommend Stripe.
ConsWhen its comes to "Cons," I'm sorry to disappoint but I can really think of very few cons. I suppose my needs are fairly simple, and if my needs were financially more complex I would need a platform with a more robust set of offerings. But that being not the case, I just can't think of many minuses to using Stripe.
February 10, 2019
Randi Z.
Head
July 25, 2019

“Simple App for Website eCommerce and Online Payments”

OverallMy overall experience has been lovely. I will continue to use Stripe and recommend it to my clients. I have my own ecommerce websites and help others build their own and always use you when I can.
ProsEASE of install! I've been using Stripe for many years now. I first used it for my e-Commerce website MensAccessoriesBox.com and found your system to be the easiest to install onto my Wordpress website and I needed to setup recurring monthly automatic payments for my customers and I had no issues with Stripe. Ease of Use! I can easily see my sales. I can give refunds, I can charge credit cards and setup users directly on stripe. I use stripe now for all my businesses and when I am building an ecommerce website I encourage my clients to use Stripe. 1099 forms - I like that Stripe provides 1099 forms when I made more than a certain amount each year Easy to give refunds and partial refunds Fraud protection is pretty good on basic version
ConsInvoicing - for a while I couldn't figure out how I could send invoicing thru Stripe, so I used PayPal for that. But I believe you now make that possible and I need to explore that area further. Customer service-Navigating your support area to get to live chat or phone number can be tricky sometimes, requires a few clicks. I wish it was a little easier or offer a live chat bubble on the dashboard and support area right away.
Dave W.
Computer Software, Self-employed
May 3, 2019

“The Gold Standard for Accepting Online Payments”

OverallI can't say anything negative about these guys. For all the areas PayPal fails, and is incredibly frustrating to work with sometimes, Stripe comes in and makes everything simple. They are THE gold standard for accepting online payments.
ProsStripe is one of those products that JUST WORKS. They have meticulously thought through every detail of accepting online payments, and they take care of it all in the background so you can run your business. They have automated fraud detection, a beautiful UI, several bank deposit scheduling options, just the right amount of customization options for invoices & receipts, seamlessly allow for recurring subscriptions, and provide great reporting. They also have an Android app with limited features, but it provides a great overview of your daily, weekly and monthly stats.
ConsHonestly, I can't think of any. I've never had a problem with any part of their software. It's integrated seamlessly with a WordPress plugin I use called Easy Digital Downloads, and I've had no issues in the 12 months since I've been selling with Stripe. If I HAD TO mention one, it would be that they aren't available in all countries yet. They are expanding to add more countries, and have about 10 or so in a pilot program right now, but this could be a potential deal breaker if you do business in one of the countries they don't support.
May 3, 2019
Teegan F.
Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees
August 26, 2019

“Works Seamlessly with our billing software”

OverallThis software, because of it's tight integration with Kareo EHR has allowed us to quickly and efficiently take payment from patients from a variety of credit card types. Because it is not an extra system, this has significantly cut down on the amount of training required for employees.
ProsThe reason we choose to use Stripe over another money collection service is that it works seamlessly with our health record billing software. This makes the process of checking patients out quick and efficient. We loved that stripe works with a credit card swiper as well. I also love having access to all of my transaction data in the Stripe mobile app.
ConsThe only problem I've run into is that since we are using Stripe as an integrative system, it doesn't register different patients in our EHR as "Customer" in the Stripe system. So I am unable to see statistics like the number of new customers and average revenue per customer. I would also like to see an option to customize which days are displayed when showing data for a week. For example: the graphs drop all the way to 0 on the weekends and our day off, which makes the income have sharp peaks and valleys.
August 26, 2019
Jeremy F.
Owner / Coach
Consumer Services, Self-employed
August 20, 2019

“Great payment solution for small businesses”

OverallI am using Stripe to collect client fees directly from my clients. Overall it's been a good experience and I have yet to have a real problem with it (unless it's my error).
ProsI like that it allows me to build and send invoices directly from it without having to do any coding or sophisticated connecting of accounts. It also links to my online appointment software (Bookafy) should I want to use it when appointments are made. I can do all my billing through the web interface and track it through the iPhone app. Also, for small businesses the fees are some of the lowest for Credit Card transactions.
ConsThere are two things that make it less than perfect for my use case: 1. I sometimes set up a payment plan for clients instead of charging the full fee at one time. There is a built-in subscription feature, but no option to have an end date or end after X payments. I did contact support, and it can be done if I was interfacing via the API. But since that is beyond my skills/needs, I manually send each invoice when it's due. 2. Since it is such a powerful platform that can be scaled for businesses of all sizes, the interface is complicated, esp. since I'm not familiar with all the billing terms/processes a large company may use. But the help feature has helped me learn. If there was a simpler interface for non-power users, it would be appreciated.
Alex T.
Front End Developer
May 16, 2019

“Stripe has THE best developer API and customer support out of all payment processors available. ”

ProsThe API development documents for this payment processor are literally the gold standard in the industry. Stripe provides personalized walk-throughs for almost all development questions addressed in their support documents which makes implementing their API incredibly simple. Their support is also top notch. Where I would have to wait for weeks to get a response from other large payment processors (Massive pain), slack shot me an email response within 24 hours and answered all the questions I had. Cannot recommend their service enough. 5 Stars from me.
ConsTheir dashboard, if you're not experienced in using software, can be quite confusing. I had to walk my business partner through some of the features that are seemingly hidden but a short period, he was able to pick up on most of it.
May 16, 2019
Arin W.
Managing Director
July 30, 2019

“Take The Hassle Out Of Working Internationally!”

ProsWe do quite a lot of work in the US, but we use an online bank which doesn't yet accept international payments. Stripe makes this process a breeze (and the fees are very reasonable) and prevents us from having to route money through multiple accounts to get to us. It's intuitive for the customer, and it's super simple for us to implement it into invoices and online forms.
ConsThere's only one, but it's a pretty big one. When a client has paid and the money has dropped in Stripe, it can take a long time to reach your actual bank account. I've had to wait well over a week for most transactions to appear despite setting up my account to receive funds as soon as possible.
Raul F.
Marketing Manager
Retail, 1-10 employees
February 16, 2019

“Best alternative to paypal, elegant and easy to set up”

OverallI am using it for selling digital products online. It is easy to set up, and looks like one of the most serious companies in the field. I am also trying to use to integrate with an ecommerce shop, but waiting for their technical team to review the extension since some weeks ago. But I have good feeling that are really a tech company and are very ready. Before I was using the payment system of my bank, that has not improved in the last 5 years, and now is obsolete. I think with stripe I will have a good product, even when commissions are about 1% higher than other options.
ProsI like that you can set it up very fast. They also offer some free integrations (as the one with Magento). Are a very active company creating new features, and even have 3D verification as an additional security issue. Right now I think it is the most used by online sellers.
ConsWhat I like the less are the commissions. They range from 1.5% to 3.5% in my experience. I find that it is too high, but it is the standard in the market. Only few companies like Adyen are charging less, but I think that are more difficult to set up and maybe that much secure. Also, I think you need to configure the security setting specially if you sell digital products where you do not check if the address matches with the data of the card. Otherwise you will not only lose the money, but also have a charge back fee. Second thing that I like the less is that they take too long in my opinion to give the money of the order to the seller. In addition to that, I also do not like that if the customers pays in dollars and you are in Europe, they will transform the money to Euros (with a commission), and if you want them in dollars, you have to pay again again to transform them into dollars. I do not know why I can not have balance in different currencies. But overall, I think it is a very good option for online sellers. Probably the best nowadays.
February 16, 2019
Francoise J.

“Stripe gets me paid!”

ProsI have all my business's recurring billing running through stripe. It's been pretty much set it and forget it unless clients' card info need re-entering if they have a new card, for example. I used to use square but went to stripe because of the recurring payments feature.
ConsI don't get emails when payments don't go through. I have to log in and then see if any payments have failed by going to the payments page. I'd like to get my deposits the next day, like with square, instead of the second business day. When there's a back holiday weekend that really pushes payments back. I am not a developer so I use Plugnpaid to create simple interfaces to embed on a website for folks to pay me for services.
Khaled H.
Senior Accountant
July 20, 2019

“Review”

ProsEas of use, and having a mobile app made it much easier to track payments
Consthere are some features that need technical knowledge to be implemented, like: "Update billing info Form"
July 20, 2019
Chris C.
Director of Operations
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
April 29, 2019

“Started off great, but ended up being a payment processor that I would not recommend.”

OverallOverall, I loved Stripe in the beginning, but after seeing the holes in the fraud prevention filter I immediately removed it from my website. It is not worth the risk of dealing with chargebacks for fraudulent payments, so I chose to run all transactions through PayPal, and I've had zero issues since.
ProsStripe is extremely easy to use and provides functionality that businesses, both small and large, are looking for when it comes to collecting payments online. From the start, I was able to create an account and add Stripe to my eCommerce website within a matter of minutes. The features (such as Apple Pay) are great with Stripe. Similarly, Stripe integrates perfectly with WordPress and Woocommerce.
ConsAfter a few months of using Stripe, I began to see signs that were very concerning. Stripe's "Radar" fraud protection filter began to let several questionable payments process without flagging them. Even when pushed, Stripe's customer service team said that the payments were safe and there were no signs of fraud. However, on more than one occasion I just knew that something was not right when these types of payments would come through. By digging into my site's analytics I was able to see that the payments were being sent from out of the country or from different zip codes, and that was enough to promote me to refund all of the questionable payments.
April 29, 2019
Jaron H.
Hospitality, 11-50 employees
August 20, 2018

“Great, but expensive. ”

ProsWhat I like most about it is that it just works and I rarely have to mess with it. It's one of those things that you just need to have if you ever want to accept payments online, so you have to decide who you're going to pick as your payment processor. Stripe is high tech, and integrates with my CRM (full disclosure though, it ONLY integrates with Stripe. Does not support others). I know that Stripe provides a top of the line product, and I have not had any issues with it that I can recall.
ConsIt's quite expensive. The transaction rates are not at all among the lowest. If you want to try and negotiate lower rates, you need to start processing some big numbers. Right now, my CRM only works with Stripe. I couldn't shop around from competitors even if I wanted to. So, I'm kind of stuck with Stripe. Luckily, I'm stuck with a good product. But, it comes at a price. When I do the math, I spend a few thousand dollars a year just in processing fees. If I was able to, I probably would shop for a cheaper transaction rate, because Stripe has a lot of features I simply don't need that I'm still paying for.
August 20, 2018
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
August 5, 2019

“Stripe in the Travel Industry”

OverallI think Stripe is a fantastic product, and they have been very reliable, but they need to be more competitive on credit card processing fees.
ProsStripe is a very high-quality platform, with a great user interface (when we need to circumvent our API connection) and solid fraud-protection measures (compared to Square).
ConsPricing. We send a significant amount of volume via Stripe, but they were unwilling to reduce the per-transaction fee to anywhere close to what we were able to obtain from other credit card processors. We still do use Stripe, but for a limited subset of transactions that hit certain purchase profiles (select currencies, purchase windows, etc).
August 5, 2019
William F.
Chief Operating Officer
Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees
August 8, 2018

“Online Payment Acceptance Made Easy”

OverallStripe has been our main online payment processor for the last three years. There have been very few hiccups or issues. We receive our payments within 48 hours most of the time. Integration is easy, account setup is easy, there are no monthly fees. It is a no-brainer.
ProsStripe integrates in to nearly any shopping cart or invoicing system that I have used. If an integration is lacking, the documentation is very clear. In most cases, performing the integrations is completely hands-off and literally only requires your username and password. By managing these integrations with auto-config scripts, it takes the hard work out of getting set up for payments.
ConsStripe is super careful about certain types of credit card transactions. If you do any sort of volume, you will likely get a transaction or two flagged by their review team. This usually just requires a little more info and then the transaction clears in a few days. One other major issue is the transaction fees tend to be on the higher end of normal. You can get much better rates through an Authorize.net account, but those carry other monthly fees absent in Stripe's offering.
August 8, 2018
Joe K.
August 20, 2019

“Easiest Payment Processing for WooCommerce”

OverallOverall, I haven't had any issues with Stripe.
ProsExtremely easy to set up with WooCommerce. I've tried a few different payment processing solutions and Stripe was by far the easiest. Also free to set up and connect, unlike others like Authorize.net.
Cons3.5% for American Express transactions is a little high / annoying. But it's just a minor con from the eyes of the seller.
Non-Profit Organization Management, Self-employed
August 20, 2019

“Used in conjunction with fundraising platform”

ProsStripe has simple back-end reporting and enables us the ability to easily refund potentially fraudulent transactions if they slip through the cracks and even make it that far. I appreciate that multiple items we utilize can all process transactions through Stripe so we only have to have one account to process credit cards.
ConsI wish, similarly to Network for Good, that it was implemented directly into the fundraising platform we are using instead of requiring a separate account and login but I do understand why it is as it is.
Julie W.
VP
July 26, 2019

“Great, easy payment processor for smaller businesses ”

ProsThis is a pretty easy to use payment processor, and the rates are good compared to Paypal and others we considered. We have used it for a long time with not terribly many issues. I believe we've tested it's capacity lol. I've definitely recommended it to entrepreneurs.
ConsWe found a better rate and more robust functions and features with quickbooks. With our sales platform and Stripe together we've had issues not getting alerts when clients recurring payments get declined so that's become a big enough issue to necessitate a switch.
July 26, 2019
Beecher B.
Information Services, Self-employed
August 6, 2019

“Fast and simple payment collection!”

OverallDead-simple integration and implementation. Sandbox data and payment methods are easy to get and test before go-live with "live" payment data.
ProsStrip doesn't charge for on-site payment collection, unlike other online payment methods. Their API is broadly supported by website plugins and payment is streamlined when visitors don't have to leave your site to pay.
ConsI haven't found any huge drawback to using Stripe. There is a delay of a couple days before sweeps to your bank account can take place, but it's not bad if you plan for it.
August 6, 2019
March 6, 2019

“Stripe rocks. Only wish it would give us additional templates”

OverallStripe is the only merchant tool you need. Add paypal and you've covered almost everything you can possibly need to get your ecommerce site up to speed, and use it to scale rapidly and handle all of it for you.
ProsStripe was really created by developers who "get it". They have made it easy to implement and removed the barriers to ecommerce entry that we used to be forced to have to deal with cumbersome companies like authorize.net etc. Their documentation and knowledge base is fantastic. Their support team is pretty good too. If you want a custom solution for your site/software, the only tool to use is Stripe.
ConsThat all being said, the downside is that not everyone can use/implement stripe "out of the box" because their basic interface is sooooo basic that most have to create their own UI. Awesome for customization - truly - but more clumsy for lower level devs or non-tech people. Maybe in the future they can add a few more basic screens - especially in in-site administration management - to get things rolling faster. This isn't a "complaint" per se, rather just a suggestion. Only other suggestion might be to offer more tools to help with subscription management and shopping cart abandonment issues.
March 6, 2019
Joshua H.
Software Engineer
Furniture, 11-50 employees
December 5, 2018

“Stripe just works”

OverallI've set up custom Stripe integrations for several online marketplaces and ecommerce sites at this point, and it's quick and easy. Head and shoulders above the old custom bank or PayPal setups of the early 2000s. Assuming you don't have any special needs, they are the first payment processor I'd suggest trying.
ProsStripe offers simple, clean, well documented APIs for quickly and securely accepting credit cards. It also works with Apple Pay and a number of other payment types. It has a huge userbase, excellent uptime, and tons of resources and tutorials. Their website allows you to see all API interactions involved with creating or modifying any records in your account, which is great for debugging.
ConsUntil you reach a certain size, it can be extremely difficult to get in touch with a real person on the Stripe side, and they are completely unwilling to negotiate rates before that point. They have killed off some useful features (like ACH payout) in favor of more expensive full-service solutions. But they do have long and well-marked deprecation periods whenever they do this.
December 5, 2018
Sofie B.
Online marketer
July 25, 2019

“Stripe is the easiest payment processor for my clients.”

OverallI have an online marketing agency, and almost all of my customers use Stripe for their online products. It's easy to set up and connect and I have never experienced any problems with it. With payment processors especially you need something, you know works everytime, and I find that Stripe works well for both my clients and their customers.
ProsWhat I like the most about Stripe is the ease of use and the liability.
ConsStripe does take a cut of the payment, and even though it's completely fair, it can add up with high-end products. My own company is based in Estonia, and here Stripe is not supported, which is a shame, as I would like to use Stripe for my own products and payments.
Ian R.
albanymallwitnessing.com
July 19, 2019

“The Best Subscription Billing Software Out There”

OverallOverall I love Stripe - and I think it really is the best subscription software out there and I recommend them to everyone I can.
ProsSimple to set up, secure, very adaptable to whatever project we apply it to
ConsThe customer service has not always been that great. I had a couple of discrepencies that eventually got cleared up (weird date issues with billing) but the support people didn't really explain that and I had to figure it out on my own. It happened twice, but the other interactions with support went fine though.
July 19, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
May 2, 2019

“Awesome payment collecting tool & API”

ProsWe added Stripe to our web & mobile applications to accept payments for our shop. The technical implementation using Stripe's API was fairly simple & straightforward and less scary than anticipated. Their customer support offers live chat and is always very friendly and helpful. The dashboard is neatly designed and does everything you need.
ConsThe features of Stripe seem to be unnecessarily limited: basic features seem to be missing. For example, it is not possible to create an invoice from a payment automatically collected using Stripe's API. When sending out a payment prompt using Stripe manually, one CAN create an invoice after the payment was collected.
May 2, 2019
Scott F.
Director of IT
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 28, 2019

“Just. Simple. Effective. Processing.”

OverallVery positive. Stripe cut my processing costs in half, which increased my profits, and it takes almost no maintenance from me to keep it going. Because they process everything directly on their own site I don't need to worry about PCI compliance in that regards, which anyone who does business knows is a huge liability transfer.
ProsHow simple Stripe is to use. This is probably the easiest, most straight forward and no nonsense merchant processing company I have ever worked with. Hooking into their API network for processing is a snap, and most systems already have stripe integrations prepared. For those that do not, it is pretty simple to get everything working and integrated. Deposits are sent quickly and securely, and I love not having to worry about being PCI compliant when it comes to customer's payment info as Stripe takes care of it all.
ConsI wish Stripe had their own app or interface for taking credit cards by phone or in-person. I also wish they had an instant deposit option like Square.
April 28, 2019
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
November 28, 2018

“Process Payment from Anywhere, Any time!”

ProsI've been using Stripe for quite a while now and I am very impressed with the overall business and what they offer to clients such as myself. Accepting payment has never been easier. You no longer have to deal with PayPal or cash. Stripe for me is kind of an all in one solution for payment processing. Let's say you have a website selling coffee beans in the United States. Stripe will provide with an easy to set up payment processing gateway for your site. Once it's up, your customers can then purchase from your site 24/7/365 using credit card, debit cards, and whatever other payment options you make available. Stripe does all the heavy lifting for you. They analyze the risk of each transaction, which tremendously help prevent fraud and future headaches. All sales and analytics are presented in a very well designed interface.
ConsNo problems so far. Stripe's been great and a much better service than a few other big names.
November 28, 2018
April 23, 2018

“Stripe is an extremely developer-friendly payment processor with great support”

OverallStripe allowed us to get up and running processing payments quickly, and their support has helped us get past any problems we've run into along the way.
ProsWe were attracted to Stripe because of their extremely thoughtful and well-documented API. Stripe typically works as you'd expect as a developer interacting with their API (no small feat), and we're often pleasantly surprised when we go looking for some new feature and find out it already exists. Stripe's support is also top-notch, and the odd time we're unable to accomplish something ourselves we've usually been able to get there with the help of support. The product evolves quickly and keeps getting better.
ConsThere's not much to complain about with Stripe the biggest pain points are usually with things that are somewhere outside of Stripe's control. For example, the process involving customer chargebacks is a bit confusing and rigid, but this is mostly dictated by the requirements of the card issuers Stripe is dealing with.
April 23, 2018
October 11, 2019

“Payment Process Apps Review”

OverallOverall experience has been good so far and we recommend Stripe to our clients and friends
ProsWe use stripe for our E-commerce clients who request integration of a payment systems on their websites. For some of the CMS that we propose Stripe is the preferred vendor for payment processing and we have only had good reviews so far
ConsStripe has a global reach however, some countries or client with particular needs in their transactions prefer competitor products accepted in specific jurisdictions/territories and with lower cost per transactions
October 11, 2019
February 7, 2018

“overall very good”

ProsEasy to use and quick to get started. The platform is easy to navigate through. The search function is superb
ConsWe are stuck with using stripe as our primary software only has stripe api connection. that part works flawlessly - however on the other side of the transaction there is the accounting side. the issue is stripe groups multiple transactions together and then deposits them into you bank as a single transaction. Xero does not then allow these transactions to be easily split up in the same way they came in ...The API seems to have severe limitations. Why it is in 2018 that we need third party software to identify whats happening with our credit card merchant payments? Stripe and Xero are 2 of the biggest and supposedly cutting edge softwares out there and yet they can't seem to find a way to talk to one another in a way that allows proper reconciliation. Between my book-keeper and 2 lots of software I probably spend x3 what the Xero subscription costs, just keeping on top of this very basic tedious task of reconciling stripe transactions. Totally ridiculous and enough to make me actively seek alternatives.
February 7, 2018
March 21, 2019

“Great alternative to Paypal”

OverallI wanted to see what else was out there beside PayPal and some of my clients don't want to business wit PayPal anymore. Overall, I like stripe and will continue to use them because their customer service blew me away.
ProsCustomer services is by far the shining star of this company! I needed help with their invoicing system since my site was under construction and I couldn't authenticate. I was worried that I would have to wait until my site was up and running again before I could use them. I called their customer service and did the call me when I'm next but, I had connection problems with my cell phone, I was walking the friendliest 80 lbs. dog ever and every airplane wanted to pass over me. The same rep called me back 4 times to make sure it was the best time for me to talk. Also their call center is in Northern California which cuts down on the language barrier with scripted prompts. Which was a pleasant surprise especially since you don't want to have communication issues when talking about your income. I was able to get my question answered and that one experience will have me be a customer for a long time. In short Pros: Great customer service multitude of products they hire stateside the reps were very knowledgeable and didn't pass the buck
ConsAs someone who has been in the banking industry for 15 years in various operational, corporate and consumer levels, I found their website and product explanations extremely confusing. I had no idea which product I should choose nor any real guiding process when you sign up. They should really segment their site so that freelancers and small business owners are looking a the products that large agencies or enterprise companies would need. I had to call in to find out answers to my simple questions that should be bright as day on the site. Cons: The number products Poor site user-ability Products not explained well or properly online (this is coming from a finance industry person)
March 21, 2019
Computer Software, Self-employed
July 1, 2019

“Perfect payment gateway”

OverallStripe allowed me to start taking customer payments via credit card -- before this I was only taking cash and check. It helped me to expand my business and be open to more new clients.
ProsThe API is very easy to use, and integrates seamlessly into the proprietary web application I use to manage customers and invoices. Getting keys generated was a breeze, and the fee per transaction is very competitive with PayPal and other payment gateways.
ConsI have honestly never had any issues with it. No downtime, and no interrupted business. I do with money transfer would be faster, but it's only two business days and could be worse.
July 1, 2019
Jem C.
Media Production, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2019

“A trusted product, which is easy to integrate with your website or other software.”

OverallAs a small business which relies on donations, we needed a low cost product to handle these safely and securely for us and Stripe was able to do just that. It integrated seamlessly with the products we we already using (namely Ko-Fi and Ticket Tailor). I'm sure this would work just as well for big businesses, but would recommend for smaller people just starting out, as an initial off the shelf solution!
ProsStripe is, as you would hope, very security conscious, and I've been impressed with the safety features. I was shocked when I looked at the amount of fraudulent attempts there had been to use cards on our system - despite us being a very, very tiny start-up. This doesn't come at the expense of ease of use, however, and it offers a lot of functionality in terms of when to pay out, and with what it integrates with. To date, we have linked up our Stripe account to our donations provider, our ticket sales software, and have been able to add ourselves to part of a media collective group so that they an automatically deposit donations into our account. The depth of reporting is really useful, and it's easy to navigate to find exactly what you want - and I'm pretty sure I'm yet to have scratched the surface.
ConsLuckily we've managed to avoid the fees for our first year of trading with Stripe, thanks to a free voucher from the FB start accelerator, but I am conscious that we will start paying fees soon - of course, this isn't a downside per say, as we know we need to pay money for good software, but it is something we'll need to factor into our model in the future.
August 15, 2019
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
May 14, 2019

“Simple and Secure Payment Processing”

ProsStripe is extremely easy to setup and use and is so well integrated with other products. We are able to run payments through our website and also our finance system has an integration allowing customers to pay for invoices via a link sent to them.
ConsI have nothing negative to say about Stripe.
May 14, 2019
Sven E.
Freelance Web Developer
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
April 30, 2019

“The best "pure" payment provider”

OverallI use Stripe in a variety of contract work, mostly eCommerce & SaaS, where Stripe is used to collect payments from credit cards & direct debit accounts.
ProsStripe is extrordinarily good at what they do: Providing a simple & painless way to collect payments through a variety of online platforms & services that would otherwise burden you with hours upon hours of reading technical documentation and trial and error-ing your way toward a simple buy button. Setting up Stripe is easy, handling VAT is mostly easy, using their API through one of their many libraries is a breeze and the entire service makes collecting payments refreshingly straight-forward.
ConsStripe aims to only be a simple "pure" payment provider, which is a goal they achieve magnificently. However, it would've been nice to have some more guidance & helpful tooling around things like European VAT, the new American "economic nexus" changes & other sticking points, especially for small businesses. Not getting involved at that level means that Stripe is only for those that are extremely well versed in running an online business, while being able to look after international sales, tax & payment regulation on their own.
April 30, 2019
Newspapers, 11-50 employees
August 10, 2018

“Excellent payment processor”

OverallI use stripe as my payment processor. Additionally, I just started a new business which had a complex structure because my business partner is in the UK - I used Stripe Atlas which for filled out a few hundred dollars worth of forms and took care of a ton of the many documents needed. I must say that you still must consult your lawyer but while LegalZoom has a great attorney option, Stripe Atlas kills them in features and pricing.
ProsI use stripe for payments its really awesome interface, has tons of payment options which can be configured and has a lot of great options for things that even paypal does not have i.e. Stripe gives you the option to remind customers who are on recurring plans that a payment is coming up - since we have yearly subscriptions this is nice since it helps avoid disputes after someone forgets they signed up months ago. Stripe has this built in with various options like 7 days before etc. for Paypal (which is also great) you would need IT to custom code something like that.
ConsIts hard to say because I honestly really like everything about Stripe from the dashboard to customer service to options for accepting payment I guess I wish ACH fees were cheaper (through Quickbooks they are free) My biggest complaint would be that its hard to configure a lot of the extra payment options it requires a lot of IT skills but I must say that is probably for security reasons so it cannot be blamed on stripe
August 10, 2018
Bryan M.
Product Director
Design, Unspecified
May 15, 2018

“The best payment processing for webapps”

ProsBefore Stripe, we used complicated payment gateway+merchant account solutions that required PCI compliance, had rudimentary recurring billing options and were a headache to setup. Stripe makes accepting payments easy. Stripe's reporting features are better than most payment gateway providers and the integration options are so easy and flexible that a developer who has never worked with Stripe before can get a simple payment system setup in a few hours.
ConsI'd like to see an improved Coupon system in Stripe in the future. Right now coupon codes created in Stripe are for recurring subscriptions only and cannot be used on one off purchases. This requires that whenever we need this feature, we need to build our own coupon system and explain to product owners that the coupons in Stripe will not work for them in their situation.
May 15, 2018
Darrell S.
Social Media Manager
September 26, 2019

“Payment gateway with many years of experience.”

OverallStripe has helped us receive payments from customers around the world, now we can receive payments from customers in other countries and offer our services to more people. In addition, being a secure company with many years of experience as a payment gateway they know perfectly what the needs of customers are.
ProsStripe is an important tool on my website, allowing me to accept payments from Apple Pay, debit and credit cards. It is a secure payment gateway and with many years of experience, besides the interface is great, my customers can place their card data directly on my website, they don't need to open a new tab to complete the payment as in 2CheckOut. Stripe's customer support is great, they're always online and they solve all the problems quickly.
ConsI don't like Stripe's integration system. I think that for people who have little knowledge of web development find it difficult to integrate Stripe, when I started using this software late hours integrating it and I had to contact customer support to help me.
September 26, 2019
Internet, 11-50 employees
July 23, 2019

“Easiest way to set up payments via API”

ProsEasiest way to set up payments for your mobile or web app via API.
ConsWish Stripe had an EFT/Debit option in Canada, like the ACH option they have in the US. This means we need to use two separate tools to achieve the same results (credit cards / direct debit transactions). Can get quite pricey (vs. some other competition - you pay for convenience)
July 23, 2019
Elliott L.
Developer
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
July 18, 2019

“Extremely well documented and easy to use payment gateway”

OverallReally great experience and they are my go to for all of our client projects. I wouldn't use anything else.
ProsIt can be integrated into almost any piece of software because it is really well documented and has many pre-made examples both by stripe and by community contributors. Users trust it because it can be integrated directly into a website so that they don't feel like they are leaving your site. No need to register like with most of their competitors e.g PayPal.
ConsI have found occasionally users don't trust being kept on the site and would like an option to pay by paypal even if stripe exists. I wish that the stripe logo was trusted more by average users. It is mainly developers who even know what stripe is.
July 18, 2019
Alexis R.
Press & Development Intern
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
May 12, 2019

“Awesome for Small Nonprofits!”

OverallThe business problem that we solved with Stripe was being able to find a good service that we can implement to process all of our donations and transactions from donors. We were able to integrate Stripe into our website and the payment form easily allows donors to add their payment information and Stripe processes the payment! We would highly recommend using Stripe.
ProsStripe is an absolutely amazing software that is particularly great for smaller organizations! We have been using Stripe to process all of the donations provided to our organization. What I really like about Stripe is that they automatically create documents that help provide to donors the documents necessary to document their donations for tax purposes. This is very convenient for us and Stripe also creates documents that we can then use for tax purposes ourselves. It's very organized and absolutely amazing to use! In addition, they are also particularly great to work with for nonprofit organizations.
ConsWhat I liked the least about this software is that of course, there is a limit as to how long they provide no-fee transaction services to nonprofits. For every donation that stripe processes for us, they take a certain percentage out as a fee and as a nonprofit, this is of course not something that we like. However, there is no way around this as this is what every software that does this do.
May 12, 2019
Education Management, 11-50 employees
December 21, 2018

“Stripe delivers”

OverallWe are a Bible College with students in Satellite locations around the world. Stripe makes it easy for all of our students to register online and make their tuition payments.
ProsWe have been using this product at the school now for several years and it is consistently excellent as a third party processor of payments for our students. The admin features give us access to information we need to verify, process, refund and review payments received. Very few card payments are declined and students are able to pay online easily with very few hassles. Highly recommend this service for 3rd party processing of payments online.
ConsIf there is a negative, it is only 1% of the overall product. Occasionally, we get 2 emails announcing the same payment. Again, that rarely happens, so it's not much of a negative at all because it is so rare.
December 21, 2018
Daniel C.
Business Development Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
August 19, 2019

“A comprehensive range of features at a low cost”

ProsStripe Interface is very easy to navigate, and the pricing structure is very attractive. This has meant great savings for us and an easy curve to transition for our staff and customers.
ConsNothing particularly yet comes to mind about what we don't like. We have no gripes that wouldn't apply to any payment gateway.
August 19, 2019
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 10, 2018

“Stripe”

ProsWhat I like about Stripe is that our customers can run payments for their clients. This makes it easier for them but also helps our company with sales in being able to offer those services. I like that payments go through and if failed they are emailed to the customer right away. I do also like being able to control the accounts and seeing in the back end why payments may have failed, and or being able to remove accounts etc. This saves a lot of time from having to contact Stripe for any of these small issues.
ConsThere are at times, some bugs that occur. Some of our clients do not get the micro deposits on time or at all, when trying to verify their Direct Debit accounts. This adds frustration to our clients but also we then have to re-enter their account and wait for the deposits again. Also the direct debit deposit dates. I wish it would take less time but not have to sign up for more extensive transaction fees.
December 10, 2018