Instore software Ratings

Overall

About Instore software

Instore is a next-generation point of sale (POS) designed with small business owners in mind. Your restaurant or retail business will run more easily on Instore, while you enjoy closer relationships with your customers and faster sales growth. Popular Instore features include customer rewards, gift cards, promotions, online ordering, labor and inventory management, order/pay at the table, and crisp reports to help you make better operating decisions. Learn more about Instore software

Alex G.

“It's been a journey”

OverallNice folks. If not for the fact that we're tied in to the gift cards that we've sold, we would probably experiment with different POS options. We're not convinced that other apps are better, we suspect that they all have pluses and minuses. But it would be nice to have the freedom to explore a bit more.
ProsGenerally speaking, it does what we need it to do in a way that makes sense. We often go months without thinking about it or worrying about it. The team at Instore genuinely cares, and while they don't listen to all of our feedback, we can see that our feedback has led to improvement.
ConsI don't think the back end is robust enough. Sometimes it's impossible to download reports because the server times out before it processes and packages the reports. We've never felt that the "end of day" functionality made much sense. We'd like more flexibility with how it interacts with individual staff members. Sometimes changes are made without us being informed that don't feel like improvements. It would be nice if there were more flexibility in settings about how the app is set up.
DUSTIN P.
October 16, 2018

“Excellent POS for Bar Based Businesses”

OverallFor the money, its hard to beat Instore as a great POS system for our cigar bar.
ProsThe user interface of Instore is very simple to use. The way it presents categories and then items in those categories allows for fast input of orders for customers. The recently added Tab feature allows us to store credit card numbers without having to hold customers cards for tabs they want to run. The ability to add employee payroll cost, as well as COGS allows you to quickly see what your true profit for the day was after each shift closing.
ConsThe reporting system isn't as robust as I'd like, however the basic reporting does provide you with access to most items. I'd like to see more details around breakdown of sales per hour and day, etc.
October 16, 2018
Lizzie P.
Tasting Room Manager
September 19, 2018

“My experience with Instore is overall favorable, but not without some frustrations”

OverallTHANKS FOR ADDING TABS!!!!!
ProsI like that usually when I call for assistance, I get a response within an hour. I also appreciate the ease of adjusting items through the back end of things. The ability to control tax on each item has also been vital to being able to use the system for my business.
ConsThe system isn't as intuitive as it could be. I'd also like to see more specifics in terms of back end reporting.
September 19, 2018
Todd T.
Operator
September 23, 2018

“Easy, Intuitive - iPad Based POS Application for Restaurants and Retail”

OverallThe folks behind this software know what they do well and understand their limitations. They do not "over sell" and provide great support.
ProsVery Easy to Learn! Great Reporting! Great Customer Service! They have a nice size install base with "real world reference cases".
ConsNot ready for Multi-Unit use quite yet but close. Would like to see a Kitchen Video Display solution for restaurants.
Laura B.

“Great POS program”

OverallAt times when updates have occurred some information has been lost or repositioned
ProsIts'simicity yet able to handle just about everything. Easy to make adjustments when necessary and communication with tech support is fast!
ConsThe lack of control we have over the rewards program, points, etc. I want to be able to handle customer issues immediately
Jorge H.

“Competitive ”

OverallOverall great system. Just need better communication with in store reps.
ProsPrice and full control of menu everything is done in store. No need to contact anyone or call unless it's really bad
ConsI feel that the Credit card processing is a bit off. I would gave power outages often and also lost lots of money on offline processing.
Susan T.
Bookkeeper
September 18, 2018

“Ease of use and great customer service!”

ProsThe ability to see your companies daily and monthly sales. Customer service is great and they respond quickly when problems arise.
ConsHave not been able to figure out how to assign a cashier to each register transaction. This is something that is needed to track cash loss prevention.
Chris M.
January 27, 2015

“Perfect for our shop”

ProsThe Instore team is responsive to our needs and problems. Many times when I have had an issue, I have called to find them in the final stages of an update to resolve that very problem. They have a robust system that is very easy to use for our coffee shop. Menu updates are simple and can be pushed out immediately. Employee timesheets are kept automatically. They are worth every penny of our subscription, and I especially appreciate the use of third party hardware. We saved literally thousands of dollars in hardware alone. Bottom line: Instore is clean, easy to operate, easy to update, and simple. It's one less thing to consume my very limited time.
ConsSome of the finer points of the software are a little clunky, such as item modifier management, and some of the backend is less user-friendly than desired. But again, I've been informed that a major backend overhaul is in the works to address these very issues. As far as complaints about the Vendor themselves, I have none!
Recommendations to other buyersBefore you jump on the Square bandwagon, really evaluate the ease of use for item tracking, menu management, and accounting. Instore has a great (and getting better) handle on it, whereas some of the others are basically just credit card machines.
January 27, 2015
Namil F.
Food Truck Owner
September 23, 2018

“Overall Good product but could be much better.”

ProsEase of use and stability. System rarely has any problems and the credit card processing is stable.
ConsKey features missing for food service business. Missing ingredient level inventory and a feature to track waste so that your end of day numbers are exact.
Louisa H.
September 21, 2018

“GREAT POS FOR A SMALL SHOP”

OverallCustomer service communication via email is great. Everyone is very accommodating and helpful.
ProsIt has all the features we need for a small cheese/wine/beer shop. Very easy to use, clean and simple user face. We sell cheese so the integrated scale is extremely useful. Not many other POS systems have integrated scale. Instore is always working on updates to improve the POS system. Since we've been using the system, they've added a new feature on sales tax which is quite useful for when we need to file sales tax.
ConsThere are a few features that we would like to have -- I can't easily get a master list of all my inventory, a request would have to be sent to the engineers and it takes a few days to turnaround. Customer service is great through email but not as helpful when we have issues in real time. Normally, can't reach anyone on the phone, would have to leave vmail or email and have someone return your call within 24 hrs.
My C.
Bartender
Entertainment, 51-200 employees

“Instore”

ProsI like the emails we get about updates & the interface. For the most part it's really easy to use and the FAQ are very helpful.
ConsIt's not always the most intuitive POS system. It took a long time got an update to be created that allowed us to start tabs.
Susan S.

“So Happy in Austin”

OverallSupport is great and I'm so happy I chose instore for our first shop!
ProsEase of use, detail of reports, reward system is loved by most, hold orders are very convenient and the overall look!
ConsThat there is no FINAL screen after the customer signs or pays . . . Something to say, "Thank you! See you tomorrow" Customers are often confused and say, "am I done?" When it jumps to the next order screen
Judy C.
Food & Bev mgr./ owner
September 24, 2018

“Overall the system is fairly easy to use.”

OverallI don't like the fact that you don't need to open a shift in order to sell.
ProsIt's Easy to use. You can take the iPad anywhere. I like having the employee hours on the same system.
ConsThe individual shift reports. I would like more detail on the individual's shift, not just cash, When there's more than one shift open on the same date at the same time.
Chris W.

“Does Pretty Good”

OverallI like the Instore product it is easy to use, they are constantly updating it with new features, and I like the metrics it measures. However, I am afraid my business might be a bit too busy for it to keep up with.
ProsThe overall product is very clean and intuitive. It was easy to program and is easy for my employees to learn how to use.
ConsI have a small soda fountain and when we get busy during peak hours, the system will occasionally lag. This can be very frustrating when we have a line out the door and need to pick up the pace.
Emily E.
Computer manager
September 18, 2018

“Good, not bad for start up”

OverallI love the rewards.
ProsIt is very easy to create an item. Once created you can easily send it right to the pos from anywhere. I don't always have to be at my store to up date.
ConsThere is not a very good inventory system. Or maybe it is just difficult to understand. I find myself guessing what I need because the system doesn't let me track it.
Julie A.

“Needs more features”

OverallNo
ProsIt is easy to use but needs to add more features, such as an ability to hold and sort orders. This is vital for a business that takes orders for a few weeks out.
ConsThe iPad and system together are very glitchy (I don't know if they sell used iPads) but within six months our system became very hard to work with.
Sarah E.

“It's good to start ”

OverallIt needs to be easier to add inventory. Ounces, containers etc.
ProsIt's easy to train employees on and easy to navigate. I like that I can see the daily reports on my phone.
ConsMy accountant doesn't like the profit and loss report at all. He said it's not a true profit and loss report.
kimberly e.
September 18, 2018

“Like it but don't love it”

ProsReports are good and what I can see remotely with regards to sales
ConsGrayscale, not really user friendliness
Susan R.
Owner/Manager
Supermarkets, 11-50 employees
September 18, 2018

“Good value but we have had to work out some "bugs" the good news is support fixes problems quickly.”

OverallWe are happy with the system and we are hoping that because we have had bugs worked out so quickly that that is a sign that the software is still evolving and can grow with us!
ProsThe customer support is really good. We communicate problems with a customer representative and he gets right back to us!
ConsJust some "bugs" in the system and times that there is a syncing delay with the two terminals we have.
Orlando D.
Restaurants, 51-200 employees
September 24, 2018

“Easy to use and fast to setup”

Overallgood experience with my first POS ever used.
Prosmultiple locations, ability to set up different items at each location, all in one registers available
Conslayout need to be changed to make more user friendly. I have a large menu with many categories where more category space would have been useful
John W.
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
September 21, 2018

“Has the opportunity to be great”

ProsI like the easy set-up The online ability to see up to date sales I like the ability to be mobile with the POS
ConsDo not like the customer service Do not like the fact you can't split tabs or combine them Don't like how easy it drops service or ability to take credit cards
Jake C.
September 18, 2018

“Good enough but should be better”

ProsI can do everything i need right from the ipad. Customer support is very good. The help pages on the website are helpful
ConsIn the app rums a little slow and it seems like a lot of buttons to be constantly pressing,l to get the result i want, i feel like it should be simplified somehow. The website is difficult to navigate.
Lacey R.
July 22, 2015

“Instore Hits The SweetSpot”

ProsThe customer service, while not 24 support, is extremely responsive. I have felt like I am part of my POS team instead of just an end user of a purchased product. The software is reliable and flexible.
ConsThe lack of 24 hour support has been difficult at times, but very rarely.
Recommendations to other buyersWe had a terrible experience with our previous POS provider and I learned a lot about how to interview POS providers. Be sure to write down all of the functions you expect and to go over each one in detail when searching for the right fit. Also, a big upfront investment is something to be wary of. What I loved about Instore was that, because we already had our own iPads and cash drawers, the initial set-up was extremely inexpensive. And it included completely supportive on-boarding.
July 22, 2015
Amanda K.

“Good POS system ”

ProsI like the customization features. You can tailor the app to help it function best for your store needs.
ConsCertain features can slow you down if not utilized correctly. Customer service can be slow and take weeks to remedy bugs and fixes.
Eric I.
September 21, 2018

“InStore : not a great pos”

ProsThe monthly fee is reasonable, less than it's competition. Other than that, I don't really see too many pros.
ConsNone of the data I want is easy to access, if even possible at all. Customer data is limited, such as access to emails. Daily, monthly and annual data is hard to talley. This is not a good choice for a busy restaurant.
Sheldon M.
Chef/ Owner

“Very user friendly ”

ProsHand held are a great way to get orders quick and pay at the table.You can also use it off site for banquets.
ConsYou can't ring in or split tickets by seat numbers. The printer looses communication with the iPad one or twice a week
Matt S.
Owner/Manager
October 10, 2019

“Instore is Trash”

OverallOverall experience was horrible.
ProsThere were zero Pros to the software. Never worked properly. A constant headache
ConsEverything. Software constantly crashed, customer service is horrible. When you leave a message it would sometimes take several hours for them to call back. The reps would always blame my "enviroment" for the software not working. Funny thing is I have a new system that works flawlessly. In the end they were extremely rude and insulting. Glad I switched!
October 10, 2019
Duane B.
Associate Campus Pastor
September 22, 2018

“User Friendly all the way!”

OverallOverall I am very satisfied with the instore software and the hardware. I love the reporting that is available and the easy of use.
ProsI love the very simple interface. It is easy to program through the back office and the ability to customize is amazing. I also appreciate the easy of use with gift cards.
ConsMy only negative with the product is that it has a tendency to disconnect from the internet. The fix is usually unplugging the register and replugging in.
Brian G.
September 18, 2018

“A good product that can be great with a few small tweaks”

ProsBack-end reporting is intuitive and extremely helpful when submitting sales tax numbers quarterly. The checkout and payment process is easy to learn and simple as is time tracking for employee shifts.
ConsUsing signing up people for rewards could be easier and faster. It would be nice if the most popular items migrated to the tops of the categories automatically.
Deanna G.
September 24, 2018

“Instore has made it easy to train employees on register and group items accordingly yo expedite service.”

OverallNo
ProsI like how you can control the format. It's easy to add seasonal specials, adjust employee pay, and keep track of sales remotely. We also like the rewards program option.
ConsIt was slightly confusing to update and I had to reach out to tech support. I also wish there was an option to include half a cent for prices.
Jana B.
Cafe Manager

“Point of sale for Cafe”

OverallCustomer service is helpful to solve problems.
ProsIt is very easy for a first time user to navigate. The is a lot of space for categories on home page which frees up the space is makes it uncluttered.
Consthe screen is light grey and is not easy to see. We have some people that cannot use it because of the light print.
Raja V.
3.5/5
February 7, 2015

“Beautiful, easy to use, just the right amount of insights”

ProsThe web dashboard is easy to follow and provides just the right amount of information and tools that I need (changing menu and prices, employees, locations).
ConsA recent update resolved the issues I had. Before, there wasn't an offline mode for processing transactions.
Recommendations to other buyersThere are many solutions for taking payments. If you're looking for an actual utility that goes beyond payment processing and is simple, this is for you.
February 7, 2015
Tish J.
Assistant
October 19, 2017

“Perfect for Car Wash”

ProsThe product was easy to use and they were very helpful. Had everything I needed for the car wash, even let me have add on's
October 19, 2017
Maria D.
Store Coordinator
Retail, Unspecified
March 21, 2016

“Excellent customer service!”

ProsEmployees were very nice, prompt and knowledgeable about their products. It was very easy to understand the online presentation and make a choice for purchase.
ConsSo far I am 100% happy with the product and customer service. The equipment came nicely packet and was all brand new, and the employees have been helpful and friendly every time we speak!
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure to ask a lot of questions and give details about what you hope to accomplish with the software so they can match you with the proper programming.
March 21, 2016
Ted A.
January 23, 2017

“User friendly ”

OverallDetailed features, good customer service, easy to use
January 23, 2017
Alexay C.
Entertainment, Unspecified
January 29, 2015

“Hardships with InStore”

ProsThere's not much I like about Instore.
ConsThere are all kinds of glitches with the software in addition to simple common functions not included that make using this product difficult and provide a less satisfying customer experience, which in turn affects sales, repeat business, and tips for the staff.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure to have a service industry professional help you pick out the right POS software and hardware for your needs if you yourself have never bartended or served, or if you have done so, but never with a POS system.
January 29, 2015
Joshua R.
September 14, 2018

“Instore Review”

ProsFeatures are solid, employees are very nice and their customer service was great. Very easy to follow
ConsThere were a lot of glitches with the software that were recently fixed with an update, nothing to complain about
September 14, 2018