Protractor.NET Ratings

Overall

About Protractor.NET

Protractor.NET is a unique, cloud based ALL-IN-ONE automotive shop management software program. Designed for the progressive shop owner, Protractor allows you to complete all tasks required to successfully run your automotive business without leaving the application. From customer historical invoice look-up in seconds, to parts ordering with major suppliers to period-end accounting journal entries, integration with other programs is not required because it is already all here in one place. Learn more about Protractor.NET

Karen C.
Secretary
August 20, 2019

“POS change for the Better!”

OverallIts always a plus when we can get customers in and out as fast as possible and we don't want their time waiting at the counter on us and with Protractor it makes the process very smooth. The white page is a plus when a customer has not been in our shop before. So easy to find their information and get a ticket started for them. Great to see our returning customer history just pop right up and with one click its on the work order.
ProsFinally a POS that is easy to navigate thru and easy to learn. And more importantly a network of people from AMS that go above and beyond their ability to help with any problem or question I have. Search features are the greatest, no matter if your searching for customers, invoices, parts, its all simple plus you don't have to close one part of the program to go into another. Request are being sent in all the time and the software is continuing being updated. And all we need to do is log in and update is done. No disc to run or downloads to do. Also if you are a Facebook user the AMS Protractor User's group is a great tool to learn how other shops are functioning using Protractor on a every day basis with quick tips and ideas that are helpful.
ConsThere are a few things that can be added or tweaked hopefully in the near future. For instance: *adding customers balance on their AR receipt. *swapping vehicles on a open ticket/too long a process *not being able to re-open a ticket from the same day w/o doing a credit slip *notes added to a invoice to automatically pop up if another user went into that ticket. *being able to split a item on a credit ticket *be able to see parts vs labor without going into a history ticket *be able to reorganize customer vehicles *D.O.T not automatically attached to tires. Request are being sent in all the time and the software is continuing being updated.

By Protractor Software on August 21, 2019
Karen, Thanks for the review, and glad that you are thrilled with Protractor and AMS. And, we appreciate the suggestions, we are always looking to improve the program. I will reach out to you on the DOT reporting, because there is a third party that can automatically put that on the work order and submit them for you.
August 20, 2019
Larry C.
Owner / President
August 6, 2018

“Protractor is leading edge tech”

OverallWe already see an increase in our bottom line due to the effortless integration of the estimating process and the linking of recommended services. We look forward to understanding better than ever the inefficiencies of production as we now have a way to track that better than we have ever had. Our techs are on board with the production tracking and seem to be surprisingly interested in this feature as well. Just sitting here many things come to mind inventory and core tracking abilities, all the many reports that reveal the inner secrets of the entire operation like never before. There's a lot to work with here.
ProsIt appears to be limitless in what you can do with it if you can think of it they can probably do it. The protractor software is already loaded with more features and benefits than I will utilize in a year. The conversion process was effortless and done in the background by their support team, the ease of getting the system up and running was surprising. However, we did spend time getting familiar with it before going live. If you want to take your shop/business to the next level, this is the foundation you want to build on. Our very first month after going live was a record month, we were very busy, and the system worked flawlessly unlike our previous software program which seems to be trouble daily. The People at AMS Protractor know your business and are on the spot when you need them. If you have any hesitation about this move, rest easy, you will be glad you did.
ConsWe had to wait several months for the integration process to export to QuickBooks. The time it took to get out of my mind the thought "This isn't the way we have been or use to do it."

By Protractor Software on August 21, 2018
Larry, we love that you are already seeing an increase in your bottom line! You and your team did a great job preparing for the transition, and it paid off. If there is anything else we can do for you, let us know. - Scott, AMS
Mark M.
General Manager
July 10, 2018

“Excellent Service Management System. ”

OverallImproved Hours/RO and Improved Ave/RO
ProsEase of use. Lots of updates and improvements. Good support. I like the way they are continually improving the software and seem to be moving towards electronic dispatch.
Consthe prioritization screen is clunky for us to use. They are improving it every update and look forward to the day we can use it as our primary dispatch.

By Protractor Software on August 3, 2018
Hi Mark, Thank you for choosing Protractor and we are happy that you are experiencing higher RO and hours per RO. We are constantly listening to our customers requests and adding productive features on a regular basis.
July 10, 2018
Kurt K.
August 13, 2018

“We switch from protractor, and ended up with it again a few months later”

OverallWe used protractor, and switched from it to try to save a few bucks per month...We hated the other system we went it, tried more systems and ended up back with protractor and couldn't be happier. This system is so easy to use, so accurate, its a no-brainer to end up with it. All the custom reports you can run, to inventory setup, automatically looking up labor and parts. 5/5 stars. Would buy again.
ProsThe learning curve is small, Ease of use my wife (who is not from the auto industry) can build tickets and estimates very quickly. Parts lookup is nice and easy to use. The customer support if you ever do have any issues is second to none.
ConsSo far, the few small small issues we have had, have been fixed quickly in the weekly updates.

By Protractor Software on August 21, 2018
Kurt, we are glad to have you back! And thank you for the shout out to our customer support. Customer support is a top priority for us. If you need anything else, let us know. - Scott, AMS
August 13, 2018
Brian H.
September 30, 2019

“Awesome Very User Friendly System”

OverallDependability and stable system, cloud based system with no back ups or disc needed. Made hardware expense much less
ProsHow easy it is to use, speed of making estimates and work orders, the customization to personal needs, support from AMS is second to none
ConsThe fact that AMS Protractator wasn't purchased sooner
September 30, 2019
Josh K.
March 8, 2019

“Great POS Software with Excellent Customer Service”

ProsThe customer service team would answer my calls ANYTIME day or night. I believe I even called on a Saturday once and got a response.
ConsThey made it hard to choose another POS software LOL ... they were great.
March 8, 2019
Eric P.
February 22, 2018

“Started January 1st 2018 and moving along smooth.”

ProsThe main thing I like is the support. Making a transition from my former software was pretty painless. Not only do I have support from Protractor but more support from AMS Protractor, located in North Carolina, that I purchased it from. There are so many features available in this program that a detailed person like me loves. They are willing to listen and change features. Nice having updates, with no hassle, every month. I feel I have made a great decision choosing them. Another plus, my average RO is up too because of Protractor.
ConsThe reporting is so massive and customizable that it takes a bit to get used to. But once you get a hold of it, it is amazing.

By Protractor Software on August 21, 2018
Eric, thanks for the nice review! Glad to hear Protractor is going well for you, and like you, we love seeing all the new updates each month. - Scott, AMS
February 22, 2018
Roy B.
September 18, 2018

“What a great software system for the Automotive Service Business”

OverallWe have increased the bottom line and I wish we implemented this last November when I sign up for the software.
ProsUser friendly. The learning curve is very small/short. Once it all clicks the time it take to build a work order and order parts is amazing. It has been able to help increase the Average Repair order and the productivity in the shop as well.
ConsNot being able to control some of the inputs of info. i.e. Making sure we get email address. You can complete the work order/Invoice without inputting all the data. Where as in other software you can turn on required field that has to have the data to close out the Repair order

By Protractor Software on July 31, 2019
Roy, glad to hear things are going well, and that Protractor has been able increase your bottom line. We appreciate you being an AMS Protractor customer. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks, Scott Thorley
September 18, 2018
George H.
June 2, 2016

“Broken Promises ”

OverallMost shop management systems focus on auto shops needs. Protractor is an accounting program piggybacked with a shop management program. I was with Protractor over a year and they did not fulfilled their promises for example, an oil sticker label or to fix CarFax. I went back to my previous system where CarFax is working properly yet Protractor says it is not a Protractor problem, it is a CarFax problem. I was told from the beginning that if I left, my data is mine. They did not tell me that it was available in report form and you have to pay $149.00 a month ($1788.00 a year plus foreign transaction fees) to access it. With the dollar exchange, it was costing me around $125. A few months ago, they notified me that I will be charged the FULL $149.00 plus I have to pay the foreign transaction fee. This is due to the support it requires. We are looking at previous data only and NEVER need customer support??? If you choose to go with Protractor, I believe you will agree that the your experience is very AGGRAVATING.

By Protractor Software on November 29, 2017
Hi George, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Regarding product developments we are constantly updating the Protractor product based on customer requests and work on as quick a schedule as we can. As it happens we do now have an oil sticker integration available. Regarding carfax, there are no known issues at this time except for in a few territories that are out of our control which would be similar to any SMS. Perhaps you are talking about some vin decoding issues which are unrelated to carfax that have been rectified. Regarding your data, it is always available to you in a file, however it would not be possible to access this without the use of an interface. Unfortunately the best option is to run any reports that you require from the Protractor system while you have access to it, or to maintain a current subscription. We apologize that you have had an unfortunate experience, but we do stand behind our product and believe that it is a top sms on the market.
June 2, 2016
Mark T.
Owner/President
July 22, 2019

“Glad we made to change from RO Writer.”

OverallGreat so far
ProsWriting an estimate is much easier & quicker. Combined reports are very nice.
ConsMissing a couple of things that RO Writer did that Protractor is going to do in the future.

By Protractor Software on July 31, 2019
Mark, glad to hear things are going well since your switch. Stay tuned as Protractor keeps rolling out new features every month. Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks, Scott Thorley, AMS
July 22, 2019
Carl R.
August 19, 2014

“Great Product”

OverallI have been using Protractor since the beginning of 2013. The .Net version is considerably faster than the older version and has a lot of new features. I like the fact that it is a web based system and I never have to worry about backups. There support is great, they usually get back to us in less than an hour. I like the fact that they come out with an update each week. They are always adding new features. As with any software change there is a learning curve, but the instructors were very helpful. There are some features that my old software had that I wish were integrated into protractor but we found away around most of them. Its integrated accounting system is great. It saves having to have a conversion program to upload it to a book keeping system. I found that the inventory system is very tight. There is not a part that can get lost or not billed out. We found a lot of lost dollars by tracking the cores and returns as the system does. I would recommend this to anyone.
August 19, 2014
Janice L.
November 3, 2016

“combines both accounting and shop management”

OverallMost shop management systems focus on auto shops needs and most accounting programs are hard to use for shop management. Protractor combines both accounting and shop management.
Proshow there is one contact that covers everything from parables receivables and shop management
November 3, 2016
Mike D.
August 14, 2014

“From a Long time user”

OverallI have been using Protractor for 8 years. The system called Legacy has been upgraded to the .net version and I really like this version because of the speed difference from the older version and the ease of use. Its easy to setup but like any new software , it takes some getting used to but I would not go back to the old version now. Pros : Work Speed , ease of use , multiple invoices can be opened at once. Management actually listens to user requests and occasionally implements them into the newer upcoming versions of the software. Training videos are very very well made and actually helpful. Tech support is awesome. Cons : Can take a while to log in the morning. Still some polishing needed but very good as is honestly. It takes a while to setup and learn the MANY features give yourself a few weeks , you won't be sorry after.
August 14, 2014
dave w.
manager / service writer
August 9, 2018

“newbe”

ProsI am getting use to it, easy more every day
Consgetting use to it ,the customer service has helped me learn. I'm computer stupid

By Protractor Software on August 21, 2018
Dave, thanks for the review. Everyone learns in different ways, so we provide online training videos, help files, and even the good old 'pick up the phone and call us anytime!' - Scott, AMS
August 9, 2018
Ben L.

“Money Maker ”

OverallI have been running the .NET version of Protractor for the last 1.5 years and the only thing I can say is.... Incredible!!! From the moment I switched over, I saw an increase in labor sales. At first I thought it was just a coincidence but turns out the labor matrix was factoring the extra charge that I always forgot to put in. The way the invoice printout is remarkable as my clients understand their invoices (storybook). I can throw a "grocery list" estimate together under 5 minutes... All the labor guides are built in and that makes it very fast. If your looking for really good software to make you money. Protractor is the only one you need to look at.
Helena M.
Office Administration/Service Advisor
October 6, 2014

“Quality product”

OverallWe have been Protractor system users for over 10 years and the new .net version is a must-have. Many excellent features and more on the way as user requests are listened to and implemented. Training program very precise and informative. As with any new system, there is a period of adjustment to change from legacy but Guy and the tech support staff are outstanding and there to help whenever needed. Speed, inventory module and multiple invoice capability + upgraded accounting features are just a few of the pros of the new system. Takes some getting used to but benefits well worth the challenge of change.
October 6, 2014
Mark D.
General Manager
September 23, 2014

“Protractor .Net Software”

OverallWe have upgraded all of our shops the the new .Net software. Migrating from the Legacy software to .Net was fairly easy both from the back office side and the front counter. Protractor support and Guy Lapierre have been extremely helpful during and after the transition. We have made several programming requests that have been implemented or are in the process that have helped in the daily operation of our business. Also like that .Net automatically updates (no more having to go to each computer to update). Glad we updated to .Net!
September 23, 2014
Mike C.

“Works Great”

ProsWorks much smother and faster than previous software.
ConsLots of change from previous software, difficult learning.

Mike, Glad to have you on board! - Scott, AMS
Don F.
February 9, 2015

“It just works!”

OverallHaving been automated since 1989, first with Super Fred, then MaxxTraxx then Mitchell, ten years ago we switched to Protractor and never looked back. One of the most outstanding features with Protractor is the unbelievable Support Staff. Quick. Knowledgeable. Concerned. The cloud based program is easy to use and as POWERFUL as you could want. Accounting in .NET is amazing and with the cloud based program, my CPA can log in at any time, saving almost enough money monthly to pay the subscription!!
February 9, 2015
Richard D.
August 26, 2014

“There is no better software out there!”

OverallI have been using the product for the last 8 years. The previous version called Legacy was great, but was limited by its ability to use multiple work orders. The new .net version is 10 times as fast, intuitive and requires little training. People ask me what can it do? It runs everything in your business and it is all point and click! Stop looking at out of date software, this is the one you need!
Doug K.
September 6, 2014

“Super fast estimates”

OverallProtractor.NET is a real productivity tool as it allows to my Advisors to make accurate estimates very quickly and then with a click of a mouse order the parts online from the supplier -- easy and fast - nothing wrong with that! I will also say that the support staff are very responsive and helpful.
September 6, 2014
Mike D.
Director of Automotive Operations
August 13, 2014

“Great Software (Must have)”

OverallWe have been a user for a few years now. We have in our 8 locations about 120K transactions per year. We saw from the start a 5% increase in sales we were missing. Then came the great new product version. Fast and very user friendly. We saw a shocking 3.5% increase in margin. I would recommend this software to anyone.
August 13, 2014
Heidi C.
May 22, 2015

“Not the best”

OverallI find that this software is old and outdated. It is not user friendly and very slow regardless of the connections. Our accountant calls this software a nightmare. There are never any useful updates. Customer service is pretty quick and will assist you with all of the issues you WILL have. There is no direct line to get a hold of customer service and you have to email and hope they get back soon.

By Protractor Software on November 29, 2017
Hi Heidi, After a review of your account it appears that you were using the original Protractor version and not the latest program, Protractor.Net. Protractor.Net is a superior product and has updates that come out every 2-4 weeks. We hope to speak with you in the future.
May 22, 2015
Rex S.
September 5, 2014

“If you want a tool to help you run your business this is it”

OverallThe legacy program is excellent. The dot net program has been developed by tech's for tech's who want control and ease in there business. If you want control give yourself a treat an look into this software and the support from there team of auto experts.
September 5, 2014
Sadami D.
Tester engineer
201-500 employees
January 8, 2019

“Good way to track your cars life”

OverallNice job
ProsThe information you can find about a certain car. I did not know this existed, but I discovered and I like it
ConsSometimes it could be too complex for people not used to read car information, but customer service helps a lot
January 8, 2019