Scrivener Ratings

Overall

About Scrivener

Proofreading software that helps writers build, and complete their writings from idea boards and text editors to manuscript formatting. Learn more about Scrivener

Jan O.
researcher
Higher Education, Self-employed
October 16, 2019

“Doing research with Scrivener”

OverallI am using it for collecting information for my research and writing drafts. It helps me to be better organised. However, its licensing terms and compatibility issues between Mac and Windows version are off-putting.
ProsI do like many things in Scrivener. Even though it is meant mainly for writers, it has so many features and I am not using all of them. For me, it is usually the tool that I am often coming back to when I want to start some new research, collect information, store excerpts from secondary literature and write drafts. And it does it very well! I love especially the split view for documents and how easy it is to create new subdocuments and folders and move everything around. I love it. Also, it is great that one can add various icons to folders and documents. I also like a very generous trial version which allows you to use it for 30 non-consecutive days of use!
ConsFirstly, it would be great if there would be just one personal license that I could use both on Mac and Windows. I bought the version 2 for Mac but I am still hesitating to put money into the Windows version. The reason is that it would not be just one-time purchase but I would have to do a similar thing with every major update (they are, however, rare). Another issue for users of multiple platforms is that Mac version 3 is currently not compatible with the stable Windows version 1, only with the beta version 3 for Windows (there is no version 2 for Windows). And the beta version 3 is still not perfect and I experienced multiple (although smaller) issues with it. I perfectly understand that the team of Scrivener programmers is extremely small and that they are doing an unbelievable amount of work, however, this is still an issue for me and the waiting for the Windows version 3 is just long. There is iOS version but now Android version. (And yeas, Linux version would be also nice but it is probably essential.) Finally, there are a couple of minor complaints: - Handling of images could be much improved, especially their resizing is cumbersome. - Better integration of Scapple would be great. - Better compatibility between Windows and Mac version (hopefully it will be done with the final version of the Windows app) The main reason why I am not using Scrivener all the time is, in the end, its license and the lack of better mind mapping functions (like Scapple).
October 16, 2019
Virginia T.
Freelance Writer
October 7, 2019

“Scrivener, My Unpaid, but Super-powered Writer's Assistant”

OverallSo many features that save time. I can access character and location profiles instantly. This is very important to me. I can import files from MS Word so that i can work further on them. I can format my manuscripts.
ProsAs a writer of fiction I have used MS Word for all of this century so far, until I came across Scrivener. After using Word for so many years it was a bit of a challenge to change to a new writing program. My writing habits were fully formed in Word, but there were features lacking in Word that I would have hoped would be there. For example instead of using the tried and true method of using index cards to set up scenes, Scrivener has a storyboard feature permitting a writer to examine and compare individual files on its 'corkboard'. A far superior method than laying printed sheets on the table or floor to move them around and change the sequence of events, This works well for me because I can stop and write a scene that may come to mind is out of the story sequence without losing it forever. And, most importantly for me personally, I can save my knees from crawling around on the floor moving those awful index cards. I love the ability to write character profiles and back story, save them and access them whenever I need to enter info about their personality, wardrobe and other details. There is also the ability to keep scene/location profiles to access as needed. This keeps my story consistent in the fine points that the reader will remember and I might forget while writing. These features insure my credibility as a writer, and I like that. Scrivener is so much more than a word processor; it is my digital assistant who does not require a salary or benefits.
ConsThere is quite a learning curve. Patience is the virtue needed here. But it is well worth the effort.
October 7, 2019
Chuck D.
August 27, 2019

“Powerful tool to energize your writing efforts”

OverallWhen I first started using Scrivener, I was skeptical of the enthusiasm of my colleagues for the software, but it allows me to organize so much information in one application, that the benefits couldn't be denied. It serves you throughout the entire writing process, from brainstorming to publishing. And the tracking abilities keep you on your deadline during the entire time.
Pros1. There's a wide variety of tools available in Scrivener 2. The Binder allows you to have your research and manuscript in the same window 3. The Binder is great for structuring your ideas without resorting to a different app for outlining/corkboard 4. Tools for tracking progress built in 5. Many options for publishing the document into a more standard format 6. The price can't be beat
Cons1. It's hard to get it to work well with syncing and maintaining format 2. It doesn't support markdown very well 3. It requires some effort to master
August 27, 2019
Panagiotis K.
Founder & Managing Director
Media Production, 1-10 employees
August 19, 2019

“The one tool you need for writing”

OverallWriting with all windows and tools open is as great as writing with the distraction-free mode. The level and types of organization makes it a breeze for me to write articles for my company's intranet, research papers, blogging articles, the 2 books that I'm working on and even my todo lists and general notes. The user interface is intuitive and I love the new dark mode in version 3. The way is handles metadata and internal document variables, allow me to create contracts that can change vendors and names fast and to ensure the quality of my writing stays within standards. The backup and shapshots features allow fro safety while working and the authoring environment is great when working on new documents and want to also compare or take data from old documents.
ProsScrivener is created for writers by writers. And when I say writers, I don't mean only the ones that write stories, scripts and books. I mean anyone that writes, from shopping lists and todo tasks to contracts, research papers and beyond. It allows for an outline organization of the document(s) like a binder, plus tagging and grouping of pages in various ways. Supports many other things like cork-boards, many levels of hierarchies and advanced output to many industry standard formats. It also support multimedia files to be saved within the project file and to be references from within you documents, perfect for research and citations. You can even download the mobile app and save your project files in Dropbox and have all your content everywhere synced and ready. I use it for everything written.
ConsThe developers haven't synchronized their production pipelines yet, so there are differences between the versions for Windows and MacOS. The Windows version follows closely but with delays. I don't mind that, I use the Windows version and the iOS app and they work perfectly ok. At the time of writing I also switched to the beta version 3 on Windows and it seems to work steady enough even for real work. In general there are no major concerns for me when it comes to working with Scrivener. I consider it a great product and a top notch tool.
August 19, 2019
Abigail N.
December 22, 2018

“One of the best writing software out there”

OverallOverall my experience with Scrivener has been good, I try to stick to only the features I need and ignore the rest which is probably why I've yet to encounter any major issue.
Pros-Easy to use: Scrivener is easy to use (If you ignore all the extra features you probably won't need), even better when you load/start it for the first time, it opens a tutorial of sorts that explains different parts of the software and how it's used. Scrivener is really popular so there are lots of tutorials online on how to use it. -Auto Save: Unlike Work with can autosave every minute (If you go to options>save>) Scrivener autosaves every few seconds so you'll rarely ever lose your work. I'm a bit paranoid and since I have Dropbox on my comp, I save my work to a folder on Dropbox so I always have a backup of sorts. -Easy to Outline/Plan your novel: One of the reasons I use Scrivener to write is because it allows me to outline my book and arrange it in handly folders. So I have a folder for characters, settings, research, outline, rough draft, final draft etc. Like Evernote, I can save a link for research for offline use. depending on the content of the link, it can be exported into a text which I can read instead of going online. -Word Count: I use Scrivener for Nanowrimo I set a goal of 50k words in 30 days and with Scrivener I can count the number of words per chapter/per day/ and how close I am to achieving my goal of 50k words. Technically I can use Scrivener to convert my manuscript into an ebook, but I don't use this feature.
Cons- Exporting your manuscript into an ebook is complicated as hell. I watched three tutorials on YouTube and it still wasn't easy. -No Android App: I have Scrivener on my personal comp and work computer, and I have Dropbox on both computers so it's easy to write from home or work, but I'd also like to have a mobile app so I can write on the go. There's an IOS app but no Android app, I hope they work on that.
December 22, 2018
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
January 15, 2019

“Awesome for Organizing Big Creative Projects ”

OverallI was trying to write a novel and needed a way to see the "big picture" of the plot without getting bogged down by sentences. Scrivener's features made it easy to focus on structure, which was a huge help!
ProsI started using Scrivener two years ago, when I was working on a novel that had major issues with structure. Scrivener made it very easy to see the big picture and move scenes around to achieve a better arc and pace. I really like the ability to zoom out and view the "cork board" which mimics index cards on a wall, one for each scene or chapter. This let me look at the big picture and shift things around without getting bogged down in the pages. That kind of focus was essential to fixes the issues in my draft and getting it in decent shape! I also like the ability to split a screen, so I can view the scene I'm working on and another page, like an outline, on simultaneously.
ConsThere is a little bit of a learning curve and it took me about 5 or 6 hours to go through the tutorial and really get a hang of the software. Looking back, this was a very small investment of time considering how much time Scrivener has saved me over the years. In the moment, however, it felt like a bit of a drag and a time I could have spent actually writing. My advice: power through it!
January 15, 2019
Online Media, Self-employed
September 5, 2019

“Solid Writing Software”

OverallScrivener has been amazing for not only my book writing projects, but even everyday planning. It wasn't designed to be used as a planner, but it fits that need just fine for me. I like to keep my ideas in one place and Scrivener allows me to do that.
ProsSimplicity is key with Scrivener. There's a million tools out there that can make keeping track of your writing complicated, but scrivener focuses on keeping it simple and streamlined. I write books with it, but I also use it as a place to store my ideas, to do's and other things related to my business. It's easy to drag and drop separate files to different places as needed.
ConsCompiling books can be a minor nightmare. Some of the settings are confusing when it comes time to compile all of your files into one document. The only reason this isn't a huge deal is because you'll only do it once or twice with a book or document, not every day. My only other 'complaint' would be that its local only, no cloud saves or accessing it from another computer. That's not the end of the world, just something to be aware of.
September 5, 2019
Julian T.
Publishing, 1-10 employees
June 4, 2019

“The very best of tools for writers”

OverallJust buy it or at least trial it. I use it for long books, articles, and pretty much everything. I love it. Nothing I've found comes close. I'm using version 3.0 on a Mac btw but the Windows version also gets good reviews.
ProsI like pretty much everything about this software. It's a clean interface with a relatively easy learning curve. You can just start with it from day one and learn the various features (and there are many) as and when you need them. The main thing I like however is the way I can structure a long document, move sections around, look at the overview/abstract of each section, and quickly navigate to any part. It helps too that it's easy to have two different views open side by side. I also like the ability to have a separate research/notes section which I can structure to parallel the body of the document.
ConsNot much to dislike. I found the integration with Grammarly and Hemingway a bit clunky but since moving to ProWriting Aid, advanced editing has become pretty much seamless. Outputting the finished product to pdf, Word or whatever takes a bit of learning but to be fair, that is because it is so customisable.
June 4, 2019
Mike K.
Security and Investigations, 1-10 employees

“Indispensable for Writers”

ProsThere are several things that make it very useful for anyone writing: 1. There's a very good search feature that makes it easy to find a word or phrase throughout the document 2. It keeps track of daily and overall word counts, which is a metric most writers use for goals. 3. It has a great corkboard feature that allows you to setup each section and visually rearrange them to see how the project flows. 4. It has an active forum with great support.
ConsDue to its power, Scrivener has a fairly steep learning curve. I think the most difficult/confusing is in compiling the document, either to export it to Word or to create an electronic book (ebook). There are several settings that control how the document is compiled, and settings within settings, which create a myriad of choices. Even after watching the tutorials I was confused. The good news is that, for the most part, compile wors well using the default settings. You'll just have to expect to tweak the final product a little.
Dayne E.
February 26, 2019

“Scrivener streamlines writing books”

OverallWith Scrivener I am able to have one scrivener file per book and/or series and keep documents with notes and then make each chapter a text file. That way, if I need to locate a specific scene I don't have to mess with scrolling through a Word document to find what I'm looking for (or use the clunky Find feature).
ProsWhat I like most about Scrivener is how simple it is to organize my book by chapters or scenes. It helps me outline my book from the start, which in turn makes writing it faster. I also love using the split-screen function to allow me to have the notes on one side of my screen and the actual writing on the other.
ConsThere is a learning curve with Scrivener in order to unlock its full potential. I don't generally dig into the Compile functions (to generate a print-ready manuscript, etc.) and instead just compile to a basic Word file and format the book myself using the vendor's style guide.
February 26, 2019
November 10, 2018

“Great writer's tool”

OverallWhile there is a huge learning curve with this software, I love that it keeps everything I need in one document for my novels. Gone are the days of multiple documents and worrying about keeping things organized. This software keeps everything in one document which is amazing. Once I have more time to actually sit down and watch the various tutorials, I hope to be able to utilize even more of the software's features. I think if there were better tutorials to help people get started, it would help a lot. I originally used the tutorial and almost gave up on the software until I found some better tutorials online and through Youtube.
ProsI love that it allows me to not only section out chapters, but also scenes within the chapter. It also gives me the option to keep characters, locations, and all sorts of notes in one document.
ConsCompiling correctly can be a giant pain. It took a lot of time to get the basics down. I have yet to master all the options that the software offers because of the complexity. It also offers various formatting options, but again, learning all of these options takes a lot of time and effort.
November 10, 2018
Online Media, Self-employed
May 30, 2019

“A great tool to collect any written information”

OverallI think more people that write blogs should give Scrivener a go, for me it has changed the way I work I can't speak more highly of it.
ProsI use this software to help me manage websites, blogs and ideas. It allows me to store everything in a an easy to use, easy to find way. I love how I can have two documents open side by side, and easily open other ones just with one click. I use this daily. It is my go to for anything I need tot type out. The ability to have reference material easily at hand is great. I know this is a tool for people writing books, and I'm sure it does that job well, but for my purpose I can't rate it highly enough.
ConsI wish there was a full blown android app allowing me to add info on the go. Also development seems to always get pushed out as we wait for the latest version.
May 30, 2019
Nicole C.
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
December 28, 2018

“A Program With A Place To Put Every Writing Idea”

OverallScrivener has increased my writing productivity, and the speed with which I am able to edit and integrate materials. I've also been using it for designing non-fictions books and online learning materials. I recommend it to my coaching students for developing their own manuscripts because it makes their writing journey so much easier, especially if they are visual learners and communicators.
ProsAfter using Word to write my books and longer articles I became frustrated with the lack of flexibility for moving text around easily. Scrivener has been a game changer for me. The ability to move between layouts, to tag my work for easy referral, to seamlessly drop and drag chapters into a new order, and to have a binder to store rough chapters, research, character notes has made writing fun again. I especially love the synopsis view which can be used like a corkboard. I also like being able to create sections for writing which I haven't found a place for yet within my manuscript, and for saving edited-out pieces that I may come back to later.
ConsIt took a while to get used to thinking differently, and to familiarising myself with the functions but there are handy videos and tutorials to helpo with that.
December 28, 2018
Furniture, 51-200 employees
February 9, 2019

“The ultimate writing software for authors, publishers and creative writers”

OverallScrivener has made it really easy to work on novels, though it can be used for any kind of writing.
ProsScrivener is one of the few word processors that is designed with authors in mind. Everything is focused around making the creative writing process easier and getting your document into publishing-ready format simple instead of complicated. Instead of writing continuously in a never-ending document that has to be loaded every time you open it up, Scrivener allows you to break out your work into separate groups and individual components (think chapters and scenes). This means you only need to load exactly what you're working on at the moment. All of these components can be dragged and dropped and re-arranged however you like at any time, which makes changing the organization of your work a snap. Scrivener contains many useful tools like a sticky word and character counter, the ability to switch the view on your project between a document, corkboard, or outline format no matter which way you actually wrote it, and goal setting, tracking and analytic tools to keep you on target.
ConsThe only thing I wish they had was a cloud version that could be accessed on other PCs or my phone, for when I have "lightning strike" and I want to work on my project but I'm not at my home computer.
February 9, 2019
J F R.
May 25, 2019

“Great writing tool...with a bit of a learning curve”

OverallScrivener has helped me write short stories to offer for free without having to hire a formatter. And now that I have a greater understanding, I'll get more out of it. I may even buy a mac to get Scrivener 3.0 (I currently use the only windows version available).
ProsI love that Scrivener will allow me to compile my ebooks into epub, mobi, and pdf files that look great. It's easy to maneuver and find issues throughout a large document. And Scrivener helps keep your writing and notes organized.
ConsThe toughest part about Scrivener is the learning curve. I used only part of Scrivener for a long time and knew I wasn't using it to it's full potential. And figuring out how to get the compiled files to look write took some finagling. I finally broke down a took a class and I'm so glad I did.
May 25, 2019
Michael B.
Coordinator of Network and Technology Services
Education Management, 201-500 employees
April 30, 2019

“Scrivener is like an encyclopedia of my own information!”

OverallPersonally, when I'm able to use Scrivener, it rocks. As a person with hopeless World Builders Disease, I sometimes get forgetful about basic things. What was this character's name again? Where was she from? What's the name of the town to the north they spent the entire last 4 chapters in? Scrivener is a great way for me to look up, and see all that. It's like a Wiki about my own stuff. That I love. The other features like type-setting, I don't primarily use, but make good mockups for beta readers. Overall, I love it, just wished it pulled in easily (I do have scripts to help) my work from Google Docs.
ProsScrivener is an amazing organizational tool for my writing. I find it keeps, stores, and helps me keep track of everything that's going on. If you are like me, you can get lost in your own work. Scrivener helps keep me focused, and having all my info I need at my finger tips.
ConsWhat I love about Scrivener is also one of my biggest issues. Scrivener is an application, not a web app. As I typically write on a very lightweight device (Chromebook), Scrivener doesn't work for me as my daily driver. When, however, I'm able to use my full-size 'topper or my desktop, Scrivener is where I want to be.
April 30, 2019
September 16, 2019

“Great program for any author!”

OverallI've found Scrivener fairly easy to use and set up. I love being able to keep notes in the margins, use the info section to add chapter snippets to my index cards, and create character and setting pages. Adding footnotes and links is easy, too. The fact that I can link it to programs like Grammarly and Pro Writing Aid is an added bonus for when I am able to purchase those programs.
ProsI love the cork board which gives me a chance to see my chapters at a glance. The fact that it looks like a corkboard with index cards tacked on is a plus. I also love the preset character and setting profile pages which you can add photos to.
ConsSome of the features are hard to figure out without digging through tutorials on YouTube. I had to ask around to find out how to add my map image into the text of my book so it would be included in the final print. I also wish there were additional ways to add more than one photo to a character or setting page.
September 16, 2019
Shae L.
Yoga Teacher and Writer
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
July 28, 2019

“Best Software for Writers”

OverallIt gives me more efficiency, ease, and enjoyment in my writing work!
ProsI absolutely can't live without my Scrivener software. As a writer, I love the fact that all of my documents can be kept in one place, and I can easily organize with folders and subfolders, and write in different composition modes. It's a writers dream - especially for those who want to spend less time organizing their material and more time actually writing!
ConsThe walk-through 'how to use' the software took a long time to go through - which I don't think people should skip because it really helps to understand how to use it, though I did get impatient towards the end of the walkthrough.
July 28, 2019
Marcus W.
Self-employed
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
March 13, 2019

“Productivity-boosting writing app”

OverallI use scrivener for writing blog posts and articles. Scrivener is a writing tool that has greatly boosted my productivity because it keeps my writing constantly organized.
ProsI really like the ability to rearrange sections and sub-sections of my work in a visual drag and drop manner. I always jot my ideas down as soon as I can because I don't fully trust my memory when I'm having lots of thoughts running through my mind. With the feature to rearrange these sections and ideas later on, I can piece my thoughts together with ease and complete the article with the exact flow I want it to be.
ConsIt takes a while to get the hang of all the features and implement it into my workflow. Be prepared to spend quite some time at the beginning to dive deep into its features if you really want to harness the full potential of this software.
March 13, 2019
Rioghnach R.
September 18, 2019

“Perfect for Writing Books”

OverallI use Scrivener for early drafting phases and large scale editing. It helps me think over the course of an entire project rather than getting stuck in the weeds of a single page.
ProsI use Scrivener for Windows. It's pitched as software specifically for working on longer projects. As a novelist, I find its features invaluable: easy, constant access to chapters and subdivisions, a 'trash' section that's really more like an outtakes section, the ability to mark individual chapters as 'revised' or 'unedited' or 'complete,' and most importantly, a consistent autosave feature that has NEVER crashed on me, unlike Word, which still occasionally crashes.
ConsThe Windows version, at least, just isn't great looking software. I do wish they'd redesign for aesthetic reasons, not because the aesthetics mess with functionality, but because I think they'd reach more users if the program looked better.
September 18, 2019
Teresa H.
author
Publishing, Self-employed
June 17, 2019

“My Favorite Writing Software”

OverallI use Scrivener all the time and recommend it to everyone I know.
ProsI love the options--I can view my manuscript by chapter (with the individual docs) or as a whole (with the index cards). I can even create a publish-ready file.
ConsI've never been able to create a good Scrivener file from an existing Word doc, so once I compile a manuscript and turn it into a Word doc, I can't put it back in Scrivener. Some users might be better at this, though.
June 17, 2019
Sharon N.
Used the software for: I used a free trial
July 26, 2019

“Already recommended it!”

OverallPresently I'm trying it out as an alternative to MS Word for my writing. I like the way it can go full screen so I concentrate completely on the writing instead of getting distracted. I especially like the way it can export to epub formats so I don't have to go via Calibre or other software first.
ProsI've already pointed this one out to several writer friends. It's not easiest to pick up, but there are plenty of videos on YouTube to get you started, as well as the ones on the site. This is designed around writers with everything you need to hand.
ConsNot very intuitive. Needs to be a little more user friendly.
July 26, 2019
Executive Office, 1-10 employees
December 11, 2018

“Used it for years and still love it”

OverallSuperb. This is a productivity tool that takes any kind of writing to a whole new level. It does have a pretty steep learning curve, but this is only because it is so feature-packed, and trust me, the learning curve is well worth it.
ProsThis is one of those tools that I will gladly recommend to anyone who is in need of a writing tool. This isn't just another wordprocessor, it is in a whole different league. I've been using it for over 10 years and can't imagine tackling any major writing project without it. I love it that much I bought a copy for both my sons; one who is about to write his university thesis and the other because he is in business and needs to do a lot of writing. I know that down the line they will thank me as there is simply nothing else like Scrivener.
ConsThere is nothing that springs immediately to mind as it is clear that this tool has been created by people who write for other people who write.
December 11, 2018
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
February 3, 2019

“Writer's friend”

OverallScrivener has been outstanding for my writing and has helped to get me writing consistently. I'm not usually one for monitoring gimmicks, but being able to use word targets and being able to review project statistics has proved to be great motivation for me.
ProsThis is a great app for anyone writing and editing. Love the ability to gather notes, write content, review, revise and track versions all in the one place. This software has been designed by writers for writers.
ConsSo many features that it is hard to remember them all. I've taken a course on Scrivener that seemed to be necessary.
February 3, 2019
Steve P.
Manager, Service Ownership (Americas)
December 9, 2018

“For serious writers, the *only* tool they need.”

ProsScrivener's comprehensive palette of tools makes researching, drafting, and editing complex manuscripts and novels simple... Once to learn its idiosyncrasies and structure. The cork board metaphor is a fantastic way to track research and character development. It is easy to split and rearrange chapters and take snapshots before complex mass edits.
ConsIt is a particularly complex product that requires you to embrace its user interface to gain maximum value. But once you do that, you are able to fly as your inspiration leads.
December 9, 2018
Bryan F.
Information Specialist for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
November 20, 2018

“Good for Writers”

OverallScrivener has helped me get organized with my writing. I can create folders within folders and text files within text files. This lets me organize down to whatever level that I want. While I am still working on my novel, I feel more comfortable about writing because I have this tool, and I feel more confident about completing it.
ProsI like how you can easily break up and organize the parts of your novel into chapters and scenes. This allows me to focus on one scene at a time. If I need to, I can reorganize the scenes for better flow. It has really helped improve my writing and editing.
ConsThere is no easy way to note what characters are in each scene. It would also be helpful to track locations by scene. This would help during the editing process.
November 20, 2018
A.L. M.
Cofounder
September 27, 2019

“Author's Dream Tool”

OverallOverall, Scrivener has allowed me to have a smoother and more organized writing process. My mind goes in a million different directions but now it is all neatly set up.
ProsI don't even know where to start. As a nonlinear writer, I love the ability to organize and rearrange chapters and sections as your story flow changes. There are a lot of other features that make this software amazing.
ConsI have lost files before because the cloud backup process didn't seem to work properly. I now save backups to my backups just in case.
September 27, 2019
Beverly A.
freelance writer
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 26, 2019

“Powerful Writing Tool”

OverallMy experience has been great. I love to write and this is the software for learning how to put all my documents in order to establish a great novel or song. Just starting, but will have fun learning.
ProsScrivener is a great word processing and outline designed software for writers. It is a great management system for documents and notes. Journalist, novelist, songwriters will really enjoy this software. Actually anyone who writes will be amazed at this software. You can keep tract of all your writings. You can start anywhere you choose. First time writers can create drafts with no problem. Scrivener runs on Windows, Mac and IOS. I really enjoy learning new softwares.
ConsIt will take some time to understand all this information. The great thing is Scrivener has an Interactive Tutorial, user manual and You tube Video tutorial. Lots of information, but well put together software for anyone who wish to write but do not know where to start. Scrivener is the place to begin.
September 26, 2019
September 13, 2019

“Every Writer/Editor Needs This”

OverallMy husband is a write and I edit all his work. This program has made it easy to organize the chaos he puts on paper. I heard that they may not, or have stopped making new versions, and I panicked. There is no better program out there for this field that I have found.
ProsI love how easy this is to use. It helps you organize every aspect of every project. From character development, to chapter organization, to title page and acknowledgements, it can help you get your project done. It even helps you with goals and tracks word counts.
ConsFor the more complicated features there is a stiff learning curve. Also there is no Android app so I am stuck using it only on my computer. There isn't a way (that I have found) to dedicate an editors copy. It may be there and I may not have found it yet, but that would be helpful instead of having to export it in Word and share post it elsewhere for my team to review.
September 13, 2019
Tobin P.
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
October 14, 2019

“A Must for Content Creators”

OverallScrivener helps me create content more easily. Because of Scrivener I can create more content in less time.
ProsIt allows me to have my research and my writing next to each other so I don't have to switch between windows.
ConsI wish it integrated better with Google Docs. There really is no support for Google. I also wish you could have more than two documents up at the same time. You can do that in the Mac version of the software. I understand that's coming in a future update to the Windows app.
October 14, 2019
Suzanne M.
July 30, 2019

“The most important app for my writing process”

OverallI've been using Scrivener for many years and have been completely satisfied with it.
ProsAllows me to organize my novel, research, notes, and inspiration as I prefer. Easy to structure and evaluate, re-organize, and edit. Many helpful tools all together (writing goals, focus view, folders, character descriptions, place descriptions, endless templates).
ConsI wish it were a bit prettier but I'll live.
July 30, 2019
Entertainment, Self-employed
May 4, 2019

“Excellent tool for writing, editing, and organizing content”

OverallScrivener has been extremely useful in developing ebook content and screenplays. I love it.
ProsScrivener makes it easy to organizing writing projects by incorporating a solid folder structure, metadata, and a space to include research.
ConsSteep learning curve. Even taking a few third-party courses about Scrivener, I still sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the feature and figuring out how to make it all work for optimal effect.
Ryan S.
Global Worker
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
February 25, 2019

“Writers Toolbox!”

ProsI've used scrivener for many years and use it more than most software programs I own. The Filing system helps me stay organized with multiple projects on the go. The functions allow easy compilation with robust features.
ConsThe software is intense for first time users. It takes some time to really figure out all the features which can lead some to not have an enjoyable experience at first.
February 25, 2019
Jeff S.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

“Best writing environment!”

OverallI have used Scrivener for years, but recently it took on new life as I wrote my dissertation. Thank you, Literature & Latte!
ProsI love the non-linear environment for writing.
ConsSince Word is still the industry standard, a smoother import process of comments, etc. from editors and proofreaders would be a game changer, though I recognize how difficult this would be to implement.
John D.
Educator
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
February 4, 2019

“A program used by professional writers”

OverallI have written my entrie novel on this program.
ProsScrivener is the master when it comes to self-publishing. If you write a novel or non-fiction book this program works for you.
ConsScrivener has many setups that could be streamlined. There also need to be way more tutorial videos. The spell and grammar check also need improvement.
February 4, 2019
Jessica F.
Editor/Digital Marketing Manager
July 18, 2019

“Scrivener is Perfect”

OverallI use Scrivener to write novels. I also used it to write research papers and my dissertation while pursuing my Masters. It was fabulous in both contexts.
ProsEverything. I love the interface. I love the ease of use. I love that it makes research, outlining, and drafting documents a breeze. I love that I can export e-Books compatible with a variety of e-readers. I love that I can take snapshots and refer/roll back to previous versions after making edits. Scrivener has completely changed the way I write.
ConsLiterally nothing. If I was going to design a program for writers, I would design something exactly like Scrivener. I can't say enough good about this program.
July 18, 2019
Computer Games, Self-employed
May 16, 2019

“Best Software for Planning and Writing”

ProsIt really is like a big binder with a boat load of notebooks and tabs to easily orginize book chapters, notes, research, video game documents, whatever you need.
ConsWindows version 3 has taken longer than I'd like, but at least I know the devs are dedicated to putting out a good product.
May 16, 2019
Caroline M.
May 4, 2019

“A Great Partner Trusted by Writers”

OverallIt is the best partner in any writing job. It help the users in saving time.
ProsEvery good writer requires this tool in managing his or her writing career. It is a great platform that ensures my work is professionally organized. It helps me in breaking the articles to the required paragraphs. The drag and drop feature enables me to source any type of information from any other source and add it to my work. The searching feature helps me in tracking any word or phrase in my written document.
ConsIt used to give me headache during the initial stages of working out with this tool. It is complex to the beginners.
diksha n.
Content Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
April 19, 2019

“The best Software to plan your writing”

OverallI recommend it to those who are into writing, provided you should first go through the complete tutorials to experience it better, else it will be quite intricate for you to understand at the first.
ProsI have been using Scrivener since 2017 and it has been by far the best mapping software. I love the way it simplifies my views that are to be pen down. As a writer, I have ample of things of carrying on with altogether and Scrivener always helps me save time whenever I have to plan my article.
ConsAs far as my experience with Scrivener is concerned, I find it flawless. But there is one issue that I lately confronted with this software. The issue was that I bought a new laptop from Apple and I had to repay for the software. Moreover, if you update the currently available function, you are deemed to pay again.
Ed P.
February 13, 2019

“Very capable, good organization”

ProsI love having all parts of a large work accessible in one place, having research instantly available, and find it helpful for different kinds of writing. For a novel it really helps keep things organized, easy to review, and it backs up files, returning you to where you were when you last left.
ConsIt is very capable and flexible, which means it takes a while to really learn how to make the most of it and remember all of that. There are so many options and little icons that it can be hard to do some basic things if you don't do them regularly. But its pros far outweigh its cons.
February 13, 2019
Information Services, 11-50 employees
February 8, 2019

“Terrific Software for Long Manuscripts and Dedicated Writers”

ProsJust about everything. I had no idea what I was missing using Microsoft Word and similar inadequate software for longer documents. Scrivener is great, and they're constantly improving it. I especially value the ability to write asynchronously, because my ideas don't always arrive in perfect order. Couldn't recommend it more highly.
ConsThe only gripe I can come up with is that you must buy separate licenses if you want it on, for example, Mac OSX, iOS, and Windows, all paid at full price. Perhaps they could offer a way to purchase it across all platforms for a discount.
February 8, 2019
Lisa C.
Freelance Writer/Novelist
October 2, 2019

“The Best Way to Keep Your Novel Organized”

ProsAs someone who imported a nearly-finished novel into Scrivener from MS Word, I cannot tell you the time and grief I was saved in the editing process by using Scrivener. You can easily move chapters and scenes from one place to another with a simple drag, view your outline with ease, leave yourself notes for future edits or potential directions...I found this tool to be irreplaceable.
ConsI began using Scrivener on my Mac, but I switched to a Windows PC about a year ago. Scrivener is still functional on PC, but it doesn't look as nice as it does on Mac.
October 2, 2019
Kim M.
August 26, 2019

“Write Faster and More Efficiently ”

OverallI write better with Scrivener. I get bogged down by manuscript editing and working in chunks lets me write and edit faster and more precisely.
ProsScrivener lets you write in pieces or chunks and then consolidate all the pieces into one cohesive document. Write chapters individually, edit and rearrange. Compile everything together at the end and you have a finished product.
ConsIt can be difficult to get the hang of it. There's a steep learning curve to understand how work both visually and manually. Once you get the hang of your own unique writing style, you'll find your Scrivener flow.
August 26, 2019
Nicky B.
May 27, 2019

“Perfect book writing software”

ProsThis software helps me write faster and plot my novels out in a very intuitive way. I absolutely love it!
ConsThe only con is the formatting function it has some way to go until it can compete with Vellum.
May 27, 2019
Financial Services, 201-500 employees
January 7, 2019

“FANTASTIC for fiction writing!”

ProsThis is one of my favorite software programs ever. I love how many features there are and how customizable everything is. I honestly cannot imagine going back to MS Word to write fiction--any project with more than one scene is easier to craft in Scrivener.
ConsThe getting-started tutorial took about six hours to get through, and it really is vital for new users. There are just so many features that are unique to Scrivener, which means new users are all starting from zero. I also have had some trouble converting final nonfiction projects to MLA format.
January 7, 2019
Translation and Localization, 1-10 employees
April 16, 2019

“A strong platform for writing projects, with a bit of a learning curve”

ProsI most like that you can choose/customize various types of writing projects, nonfiction, fiction, etc. and that you can break them down into exactly the pieces you require. Also real-time help like word count and ability to make the screen less distracting while drafting.
ConsI said above 'a bit of a learning curve' but at one point it was so difficult to maneuver that I actually lost a pile of text. I highly recommend doing the whole free tutorial, or consulting with a friend who has managed to master Scrivener and come to love it!
April 16, 2019
Joseph B.
Chief Author
September 3, 2019

“Scrivener works well for the job it's for.”

OverallIn my case, I use it for working on novels, short stories, and other works. I have found that while there is a learning curve, it isn't hard to do. Open the program, start a project and get to work.
ProsI liked the outlining functionality and the editor. Both worked well for my purposes and allowed me to transition between these functions as needed without a great loss in workflow.
ConsIt seemed to load slowly on my machine, and while this may have more to do with my computer than the software itself, it wasn't something to frustrate me endlessly.
September 3, 2019
nchewi e.
Content Creator
July 31, 2019

“Definately Worth It”

ProsScrivener is a cool writing tool. It helps me organize my lengthy writing projects in orderly and manageable chunks. As someone who easily gets overwhelmed when working on a large body of text using the regular word processors, using scrivener feels a lot better than keeping multiple Word or Google docs. Scrivener makes it a lot easier for me to navigate through my work, and it keeps it all together.
ConsIt has a steep learning curve. It took me a while to really get the hang of it, but it has been invaluable ever since.
July 31, 2019
Publishing, Self-employed
March 12, 2019

“Scrivener is a great product for organizing your book or course”

OverallI've been very happy with Scrivener which I've used for a book project and now a course I am developing. I've never had to contact customer support so I can't speak to that.
ProsI love how suddenly my work is organized and I can see at a glance what areas need work.
ConsNot quite as intuitive as I might like, but I'm not particularly techie.
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
February 1, 2019

“Use Scrivener to Plot a Novel”

OverallI write short fiction, essays, and novels.
ProsPrior to Scrivener, I used physical post-it notes to plot out my stories, which didn't really lend itself to the rest of the process of turning plot points into short stories or novels. Scrivener is nice because everything is in one place, including plot points, character notes, world notes, and the actual text. I can also move around in the text from chapter to chapter better than I could in a simple word-processing document.
ConsIt takes some time to learn, which can be tough if you want to sit down and get writing. I'm not really sure I understand the "Scrapple" part of the software.
February 1, 2019