Venmo Ratings

Overall

About Venmo

Mobile-based social commerce platform that enables users to carry out money transmission across all types of purchases. Learn more about Venmo

Showing 50 of 1960 reviews

Showing 50 of 1960 reviews

Aman S.
Financial Advisor
Education Management, 51-200 employees

“Best for everything ”

OverallOverall experience with Venmo is great. It is best for both personal and professional money exchange.
ProsThis is a paypal product and we all know about PayPal. The product have all the creatures of PayPal and in addition to that it offers several benefits as well. The feature that I like the most is the offers and cash back rewards which are very frequent and recurring. This product helped me a lot and saved me hundreds of dollars.
ConsThe product is very well overall but this is not an acceptable form of payment everywhere. Small businesses and companies, sores etc are not able to process the payments which went through Venmo. They should expands their reach.
Anne L.
July 23, 2019

“MUST HAVE SOFTWARE!!!”

OverallVENMO CHANGED MY LIFE. Paying friends, student groups, organization, small businesses have never been easier.
ProsOk - if there is a software that I can say that TRUELY changed my life, it would be Venmo. Venmo is such an easy software to use to transfer money between people. Whether it be splitting the bill between coworkers or completing business transactions, Venmo is the #1 app. Forget Paypal - Venmo trumps all. No one carries cash anymore... Venmo has been an integral part of fundraising at Cal (and in my daily life). My organization and other student groups on campus use Venmo to collect payment for things that we sell on campus - such as food, stickers, trinkets, etc.
ConsI wish there were business profiles for Venmo. For example, small businesses and organizations could create business profiles that many members of the organization can access so there can be more transparency with the funds.
July 23, 2019
Ankush K.
Engineer
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
September 25, 2019

“Venmo Review”

OverallI think it's fun and feels safe to use Venmo for your everyday transactions. Also, I love the ios version as you can integrate it with Siri and ask Siri to do transaction for you which is a great feature I think. I'm excited to use the feature of group transactions which they are going to launch soon I think.
ProsIts effortless to do transactions on Venmo and it's the best option I can think of considering the fact there are so many alternatives. The free version almost offers most of the features you need for everyday transactions. It's well integrated with other apps like Splitwise which is a great feature as you can clear Splitwise balances using Venmo and I use that every day almost. Transactions using Venmo are really instant and safe.
ConsI wish they had less fees if you do transactions using your Credit card. Also default settings shares your transactions public which I think default should be disabled. I'm looking forward to use globally like with any bank account and any mobile number not just US which I don't think is supported at the moment.
September 25, 2019
Tommy S.
Head Director
Media Production, Self-employed
September 6, 2019

“Venmo is an absolute essential! ”

OverallMy overall experience with Venmo has been amazing. Never have had any issues or problems with using the software. It's constantly being updated and I just really can't emphasize enough how much better it is than any other products I've looked into.
ProsI love using Venmo to get paid and to pay others! It's so easy and simple to use and the best part about it is that it's free! Free to sign-up and free to send and receive money. A lot of other softwares make you pay fees to receive money and even send it which is totally annoying. With Venmo, I can get paid and transfer the money to my bank account totally free, and if I need to get the money instantly, then I can pay a small 1% fee to instantly transfer the funds into my account. Look no further, Venmo is a great option for handling funds!
ConsThe only thing I can say about Venmo as constructive criticism is that it would be so helpful if you could pay yourself! As a small business that accepts payment through Venmo, it'd be so nice to be able to pay myself from my business account to my personal checking. Other than that, I really think this software is awesome!
September 6, 2019
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
May 2, 2019

“Venmo is a TOP Choice to Send Money”

OverallI use this app weekly for small payments and paybacks here and there. Sometimes a client asks to use this app instead of any other payment source so being able to track that is imperative. I have never had an issue with my funds with this app and that makes me feel secure and happy to keep using the app. I use it even more than paypal, cashapp or any other payments received app.
ProsI've been using Venmo for years now and the main things I like about the app are ease of use and low/no fees. I constantly have people ask me if I use Venmo which means mainstream adoption. Its easy to send payments to others or receive them, especially with the QR code. And I've never had an issue with the app or transfer of funds. I love how funds are instant transactions and quickly done in a few moments time.
ConsI feel it could use some more features such as transaction history, download .csv files and I don't feel the community feature really adds anything to the software itself. Literally no reason for it in my opinion. Perhaps allowing to buy, accept or transfer cryptocurrencies would be good (like Cash app does). I've heard rumors of limiting the amount of received funds in a month and some accounts have been blocked for this?
May 2, 2019
Virginia B.
Communications Manager
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
June 13, 2018

“Convenient, entertaining, FREE, and fast”

ProsDid you know the root of the word convenient actually stems from the Latin word "ven"? That's exactly what Venmo is. And the inspiration behind the name Venmo actually came from the word vendo/vendere; the Latin word "to sell". Venmo is one of my favorite apps, I use on a daily basis. It has served as a lifesaver to me on many occasions when I did not have my wallet or cash in hand. You can transfer money to someone else almost instantly and will receive a notification when they have accepted the transaction, so you don't have to wonder. Transfers from your Venmo to your banking account will show up as quickly as the next business day (as long as it doesn't fall on the weekend or a holiday). One of the best features of Venmo is that you are not charged a transaction fee when you transfer money between your banking account using a debit card. But, the best part is the free entertainment If you ever want a little laugh, go and take a look at some of the reasons other people have used Venmo. It's pretty funny (especially over the weekends). If you are looking for a free, entertaining alternative to PayPal, Venmo will definitely satisfy your needs.
ConsIf your Venmo account is connected to a credit card you will be charged a small fee when you make transfers between the two. I would not necessarily see this as a fault in Venmo because you still have the free option available to you by using a debit card.
June 13, 2018
Nicholas S.
Police Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
April 12, 2019

“Pay People on the Go (The Young Generation's Go To)”

OverallOverall, Venmo has been able to capture the cashless market among family and friends (instead of writing checks). I think they'll continue to own that market as long as they keep making payments easy and free (minus the cards of course). You can sync your bank account to add funds/make payments without fees, but I know some people don't trust it.
ProsVenmo makes sending money to your friends, family or even strangers totally seamless. In fact, there are very few people I know that don't have Venmo. It allows you to request payment from someone (because someone always doesn't pay) and it allows you to make payment from your Venmo Balance, Bank Transfer (No Fee) or your Credit/Debit Card (fee). All essentially painless. While the feature is more for fun, I love that you can write whatever memo/emoji/etc you want in the notes section of the payment. When I see some payments hit my main feed (you can choose to keep your payments private), I love seeing the stuff people send eachother in the notes.
ConsMy biggest Gripe with Venmo is that they hit you with a fee for Credit/Debit Card payments. I get why it exists, because they have to pay the fee on their side, but it feels wrong when you need money. There is also NO seller/buyer protection in the system. They advise you to only send $$ to people you know or trust. I've heard of cases where people pay with Venmo for a product and then realize the product is broken. They have no recourse for the funds at that point, so keep that it mind. Also, the only way to fund without fees is by attaching your bank account. Something about leaving my account tied to the app worries me, but I know many of us do it anyway.
Education Management, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“Venmo is Modern”

OverallOverall my experience with Venmo has been convenient and I use it frequently. I think it is kind of cool how it literally brings people together because people will stand together and huddle around their phones sharing user names and get all excited and cheer when the payment goes through.
ProsVenmo is such a convenient and modern way to send money. Rather than having to stop by the ATM to get cash anymore to pay a friend, it is possible to do it right from your fingertips by simply downloading the app and linking it to your bank/debit card. I love Venmo because my friends and I are always paying for each other or buying things from each other, and in group settings there's no more excuse for that one friend who always says they "don't have cash" anymore as an excuse! I feel like Venmo keeps things fair and quick and easy. I love that you can instantly pay someone and that you can receive cash, and use that balance to pay others or transfer it quickly to your banks. I also enjoy the social media aspect and the "timeline" keeps things interesting and makes you feel like you are connected and are able to see what other's have been up to! On the flip side, I appreciate that there is an option to keep your payment private. I also think it's cute we must leave a reason for the payment, because I find people utilize that as a way to leave a sweet note for a friend too! Overall I think Venmo is the modern way to pay, and really decreases the need to stop by the ATM. Super convenient and I always recommend this to my friends and family to keep things simple!
ConsSometimes the requirement to list the reason for the payment is a little bit annoying because once you have typed the amount a user's next instinct is to just hit "send" but then you are stopped and the flow gets interrupted since we have to write why. I usually just leave an emoji or something random or a cute note for the friend if I am in the mood. It is not major, but it does get annoying when you just want to pay someone and move on in the flow. Also I'm not sure why it's anyone's business to know what the payment is for!
July 29, 2019
Jason H.
Worship and Arts Pastor
Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees

“Well done!”

Overall Overall, I love that it solves a problem that was never really a problem. Writing a check to a friend or going to get cash for them is really not a big deal, but the second they ask me if I have a Venmo, it solves the problem of that slight inconvenience. That is the thing that it does best. Make sure that you remember that and keep that in front of your audience. Security is also HUGE. If you ever have a slip in that department, I predict it will be the end of your company. As a consumer, I am trusting, but uninformed when it comes to your security measures. It might be a good idea to educate your customers as well as potential clientele.
ProsFrankly, Venmo is too easy to use. I really and going to have a hard time being critical because for some reason, out of all of the apps out there that do basically the same thing, Venmo is the one that all of my friends and family are comfortable using. It was not difficult to set up. I mean that. If my mother-in-law can do it without calling me for tech support, than it is easy to do. It makes sharing the cost of other services like Youtube TV so easy, and the icing on the top of the cake is that it is free. I don't know how, but that is absolutely the best thing about this service. Well done!
Cons I don't see much of a point to the social networking side of the software. It is great and often funny to see what family and friends will type up for the money they send me, but I see no need for the rest of my contacts to have access to those 3-4 word notes. They don't ultimately add any value to anyone else's life. I don't really care if the messaging it is there or not. To me it is just white noise. Also, I am sure that the Venmo credit card is a huge money maker for your service, but I am not nor will I ever be interested in a credit card that won't be accepted absolutely everywhere. If it is accepted everywhere, than I am woefully uninformed and it might be a good idea to promote where you can use it in your next ad campaign.
Cheyanne S.
Owner/Operator
Retail, Self-employed
October 4, 2019

“Great app for sending and receiving money!”

OverallI have been able to use Venmo both for personal use and my small business use with ease. I can both send and receive money without being charged for each transaction, as I did with Square. The only time I have to pay to use Venmo, is if I want money instantly transferred into my bank account.
ProsThis software is very user friendly. It is easy to search, and find people to send money to or from. I like that you are able to leave notes with the payment, or payment request. I also like the speed that this app operates. You can request money be transferred to you bank, either for free (1-3 business days), or instantly (for a 1% charge). It's easy to switch between your saved payment methods. The customer service is great. I sent money to an old account, that was not accessible, and customer support helped me get the money sent delivered to the correct account.
ConsThe only downfall to this app is their customer service. When I needed to change the account I sent money to by mistake, it took them about a week to get the money delivered to the correct account, with myself and the recipient both reaching out.
October 4, 2019
Jacob G.
Marketing and Advertising, 10,001+ employees
February 28, 2019

“Review of Venmo”

OverallOverall, Venmo has been a life changing app for me. It makes settling up and tracking costs super easy and exact. I look forward to seeing it rolled out on a commercial level to the point where it can be used to buy lunch at a restaurant or a beer at the bar. China is way ahead with digital payments technology through Alipay and even Kenya has wider adoption of digital payments with something called M-PESA. Venmo can lead the way in this space in the world's richest economy.
ProsVenmo is an amazing payments solution for the modern age of personal finance. Really look forward to seeing Venmo grow into becoming a commercial payments solution, but for the time being it's utility resides in the person to person transactions. The Venmo app streamlines settling up costs in group situations at brunch for example or even splitting costs with your roommate.
ConsVenmo has some pretty serious privacy concerns. Notably and unfortunately, many therapists accept payment via Venmo these days, but neglect to set there privacy settings to private. By default, all transactions (minus specific transaction amounts) are public unless the user changes there settings to private. In this example with therapists, this is a big HIPAA violation.
February 28, 2019
E-Learning, 10,001+ employees
July 16, 2019

“Easy to use, but bad security policies”

ProsThis is an app that does something similar to Paypal. It allows you to send money in real-time. The transaction goes through pretty much instantly. You can send it to an account by using a phone number or email address. It also allows you to create a username for your account so that people can send money to you without you having to give up your private contact information. It is very useful to send and receive money, as society is now becoming more and more of a cashless society.
ConsPlease be aware, there are NO money-back guarantees like with Paypal. I got scammed once sending Venmo. I purchased some clothes from an Instagram designer, and he instructed me to Venmo him some money. We had one successful transaction in the past where I sent him money through Venmo and he mailed me clothes, so I thought he would send them again this time. Well, this time, he didn't send anything and started ghosting me. I contacted Venmo to try to get my money back. I was surprised when Venmo told me that once the receiver withdraws the money from their bank account, there is nothing they can do. This has put me off of using Venmo for transactions where I don't know the person. I will use Venmo now only between family and friends. Paypal has 100% guarantee with getting your money back in these situations. They will refund you if you get scammed. Venmo has no guarantees. Just be aware of this. I will ONLY use Paypal to make purchases now because of my experience.
Internet, 51-200 employees
August 21, 2019

“Did I say network effects? ”

OverallOverall... Venmo is acceptable for consumer, P2P use cases - but has ways to go in terms of merchant adoption and true B2C solutions especially compared with Asian digital payments services.
ProsThe main reason why I use Venmo is because everyone else I know uses it, at least in the US and for peer-to-peer transactions-i.e. network effects. I like how they've implemented the "scan code" feature to help solve for the pain point of scrambling to find which variant of someone's name is the person you're trying to pay in real life. The activity feed of friends' payments also ends up being a source of guilty entertainment, and likely was the main reason why Venmo was able to acquire users faster and supercharge network effects compared to other, frankly better-designed competitors.
ConsOof... well Venmo is far behind a lot of payment players in Asia. There's very limited merchant payment functionality/adoption, even though I know Venmo has been starting to make nascent moves in that direction. Lack of NFC or touch payment/transfer functionality is also something that other payment players have that Venmo doesn't. Furthermore, you can only remind people about unfulfilled payments once. I recognize that's probably to avoid annoyance, but implementing something like a time limit would be more effective.
August 21, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 5001-10,000 employees
May 24, 2019

“Venmo Honest Review”

OverallOverall I will use Venmo no matter what. It's an amazing app and has solved a huge problem in my life.
ProsVenmo has completely gotten rid of the language of "can you spot me?" The idea of borrowing money from a friend because you forgot your wallet or were short on cash has completely been removed. Now I am able easily pay friends when checks have been split or there is a cost that I would like to contribute to. Also as a freelance photographer this makes payments from clients so much easier. Receiving large payments and paying large payments have become so easy.
ConsThere are only a few cons. Whenever logging into the application it is incredibly slow. A lot of the times I have to wait to load friends name when requesting or paying money. At times it would shut down the app because it's frozen. Also, there is a cap on how much money you're able to send per week. Although this isn't much of a problem on a daily basis when making large purchases or having large events it's a bit of a hassle having to wait an entire week in order to complete my payments.
May 24, 2019
Julia C.
April 18, 2019

“Perfect money-sharing app for the age of no cash”

OverallCan't imagine life without it. Used incredibly often because it is so practical and easy to use. Would recommend for anyone!
ProsI use this app daily for so many different reasons. It makes it so easy to pay back friends, split bills, and keep track of a group's payments. In this day and age many people do not carry cash with them, and this app makes it easy to pay back a friend if they are covering a bill for you, or pay someone without needing your cash or card on you! We use it for clubs I'm involved in to collect money for merchandise, I use it with my roommates to split bill payments, and I use it daily with friends to cover food or Uber rides that were paid for by others. Beyond easy to use, and also easy to transfer the money to your bank account!
ConsI would like a feature to request the same amount of money from multiple people all at once- if I am splitting a bill, I'd like to be able to send it to the same group of roommates that I do every month, and request the same amount from each of them instead of completing multiple requests!
April 18, 2019
Erik K.
Graphic Designer
Graphic Design, Self-employed

“Venmo review”

OverallMy overall experience has been very easy going and positive. I will continue to primary use it more than other financial software programs because of its ease and organizational format.
ProsWhat I like most about Venmo is how easy it is to set up your bank information and managing transfers. I like that the software is very organized and user friendly.
ConsWhat I like least about Venmo is that before I had changed my privacy settings, it was set to public, so everyone could see my transfers and finances before I had switched it to private. I think it should automatically just be private first and then have the option of changing it to public.
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
August 24, 2019

“Not For Just Personal Use - Work Too!”

OverallMy overall experience with Venmo has been absolutely amazing and I would reccomend it to anyone who may be looking for such a service. It truly does a great job to make a troublesome thing into something seamless.
ProsWhat I really like about Venmo is truly how it tackles an issue that is not just present in people's personal lives but rather everywhere. Venmo has been super useful at work too because there are many times when I must split costs for projects and work-related things with my colleagues and handling cash can be a hassle. Venmo truly makes this a seamless process because even if everyone has different banks that they use, they can all set it up with Venmo so that everyone can get paid. What I also really like is how Venmo processes payments very quickly and I can easily see who paid who for what.
ConsThere are not many negatives that I can think of in regards to Venmo. However, I did find it a little frustrating at first how transactions were public by default. This meant that the transactions between my colleagues and I were initially public and could be seen by everyone. It wasn't until I turned it off that it finally became private and not seen by everyone else.
Chris W.
Customer Support Representative Tr3
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
June 11, 2019

“Venmo is a godsend in our office”

OverallOverall I love this product and will continue to advocate for its use. This makes moving money around easy and at minimal cost.
ProsWe often send 1 of our agents out on a lunch run. To many times one of us forgets our wallets or something, but with venmo that isn't an issue. I use it to send money to my son, I use it to send money to coworkers, I even got the card option and use it on a regular basis just as a means to control spending.
ConsI've been an advocate for Venmo from the moment I downloaded it. My only issue so far with the product is that I was unable to use my venmo card overseas even at an ATM.
June 11, 2019
Kalin H.
Higher Education, Self-employed
September 30, 2019

“Very Useful for Personal Transactions”

OverallVenmo makes personal transactions extremely simple and convenient. This software completely eliminates the need for cash or checkbooks in making personal transactions with other people. The best part is that it works on your phone, meaning you have one less thing to carry around with you at all times. My pocket space is thankful for the invention of Venmo.
ProsI love how easy this software is to use. I never worry about having to carry cash anymore because I can simply pay people electronically with Venmo. This software has become so widespread that most people have heard of it and have an account. This makes personal transactions of all types very smooth and simple. Even if making a transaction with a stranger, finding their profile is easy with the built-in personal QR code and scanner that the software includes.
ConsAlthough I have used the software for a long time, I am still a little wary of it due to security issues I have heard about. One of my relatives had his account hacked and lost a decent amount of money, which he was not able to get back. While the software experience of the application is great, I would feel a lot more at ease if I knew the company had security that could eliminate the possibility of hacking. That or guaranteed insurance of funds would erase any hesitancy I have to recommend this software and company.
Marcus H.
Customer & Communication Strategist
August 2, 2019

“Making Group Lunches Easy”

OverallOverall, Venmo has been very easy to use. It has a very social aspect to it that garners attention of users leaving them with a want to continue to use the platform. It's super convenient and a form of financial expression.
ProsVenmo is by far the most convenient way to organized group lunches without having to split bills. One person pays and everyone opens up their app, and within a few clicks they have paid their portion of the meal. This is extremely beneficial when you're not able to expense, yet your still out with large groups at restaurants that cannot perform multi person bill splitting.
ConsCurrently there isn't any drawbacks from using this service. Be aware though, Venmo is now charging a small percentage for instant transfers to card or bank accounts.
August 2, 2019
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
July 31, 2019

“Making Cash Even More Obsolete”

ProsVenmo is a cash transfer app owned by Paypal, another known cash transfer and management app. Venmo makes transferring funds even easier than its parent company and has revolutionized payments for merchants and social scenarios. Adding sources of funds and funds to the application is very easy. Adding credit and debit cards is as simple as punching them in. Adding banks is also easy, as Venmo easily interfaces and verifies a connection to a bank in minutes. This allows you to get around certain credit card fees and to transfer directly into and from your bank account. There is also added merchant support, where Venmo can be used to pay for payments on mobile stores, making it even easier to shop online. there are also Venmo Mastercards now, where you can get a physical card that draws from your Venmo account. This has been a popular item for when friends go out to eat as one person can collect funds from everyone else and then immediate use those funds to pay for a meal on one card.
ConsThe web application for Venmo is laid out simply, and is slowly being phased out. You can no longer handle charges or transfer money on the web app, only the mobile app. I'm also not a fan of some of the more social aspects of the platform. You must add a message to charge requests and payments. The app also encourages payments be shared, where they are collected on a timeline to be shown to friends.
July 31, 2019
Courtney W.
Dog Walker
Veterinary, 1-10 employees
July 27, 2019

“The Best Around”

ProsVenmo is my absolute favorite platform for sending and receiving money. It has a simple setup process and even provides you with a debit card if desired. Transfers to friends and from clients is fast and reliable. The app layout is intuitive and aesthetically pleasing.
ConsI don't always receive notifications when I get a payment. This can be an inconveince at times.
July 27, 2019
Kelsie J.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
June 15, 2019

“The Most Useful App on my Phone”

OverallVenmo is a regular part of my week. I give private tutoring sessions to a few local families who pay me using Venmo. I also like to keep my Venmo balance at a certain amount so that I can quickly split the check when I go out with friends or family. I have also just received the Venmo credit card which I plan to use as a budgeting method. I will add my budgeted "fun money" to my Venmo account each month.
ProsI love the convenience of Venmo. I seldom have cash on me, but Venmo provides a way to pay your friends back instantly. I like the interface of the App as well. It is set up to where you can use emojis or text to specify why you are paying someone (sort of like the memo section on a check.) I also like the Venmo debit card option because now I can use money in my Venmo account anywhere MasterCard is accepted rather than just paying my friends.
ConsI don't love the Facebook-styled timeline aspect. I don't really want to see who my random Facebook friends are paying and why. I would rather it be more like a private account, or at least have the option to hide the timeline. Another problem I have come across is paying someone's old account. A friend had deleted his Facebook account and created another one and also a new Venmo account without deleting his old account. I never did get the money back from the old account and ended up just paying him again.
June 15, 2019
Lisa H.
Editorial Associate / Professor
Writing and Editing, 11-50 employees
April 12, 2019

“The Best Way to Get Your Payback”

OverallVenmo is easy to use for all ages. It's also the fastest way to transfer money between people. I recommend it to everyone, as it's the most accessible to all parties involved (versus the fees of banking apps, especially if you don't use that bank, etc.). It's been an amazing leader in digital disruption, indeed!
ProsVenmo is a free, easy to use app for exchanging money quickly. Especially in a world ruled by credit cards, Venmo makes it easy for groups of people to even out whatever they owe for any kind of collective activity--a dinner, splitting the dry cleaning cost, a bachelorette/bachelor party, etc. Venmo also accommodates users by making the exchanges free and safe. Unlike bank apps of the same nature, money gets transferred almost instantly. You can also use money you haven't yet transferred to pay forward if you want.
ConsI don't love the idea of seeing other people's payments to friends and vice versa. While it doesn't show the cost or anything, I don't really need to know that a friend from ten years ago paid someone else for a beer. There are ways to make your own exchanges private, which I use. I also imagine that the backend of what the data is used for could make my skin crawl, but that is true of nearly every application at this point in our lawless digital urbanization, corralled by capitalist cowboys.
Jimmy V.
Health Coach
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
September 9, 2019

“Great Tool For Transactions”

OverallMy overall experience have been great with venmo. I now use some other money transferring apps, but would always use venmo as my first choice. I only have other apps because some of the people I interact with does not have venmo themselves.
ProsVenmo is extremely easy to use to transfer money. It is extremely popular, so it is rare that I have to ask the other individual to have to download the application before we can begin the transfer. But if they must, I have found that the process of attaching their bank information or credit card information is extremely easy. I can also transfer the money people pay me at anytime, and often times the money is only delayed by only a day (though some holidays I find that it interferes with the short transfer times).
ConsThere is nothing I can think of that can make this app better for what it does: transferring money.
James P.
Business Manager
Events Services, 1001-5000 employees

“Incredibly Convenient”

OverallGreat Product!! I use this to pay friends or coworkers for shared expenses. Whether it's a meal or tickets Venmo makes it easy and instant.
ProsI like that fact that I can instantly shoot money to my friends and coworkers
ConsIt can be kind of a pain to swap a joint bank account if you share one with a spouse or significant other. That really is my only complaint though and in the grand scheme of things that' s nothing
Richelle B.
Event Coordinator/Data Management
Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees

“Venmo”

OverallOverall my experience I has been positive with Venmo and prefer this app over cashapp.
ProsVenmo is a great way to send money to individuals in real time that can directly be deposited or withdrawn from your account. It is awesome that you can select who gets to view your transactions and that you can request money from individuals. Another pro is they send you monthly and yearly transactions reports.
ConsOne huge con is if you mess up the account information once you can no longer use that account again. This happened with my checking account and I had to use my savings account until they allowed debit cards to be used for both withdrawal & deposits. I do not love the new processing fee feature to deposit money in right away. The fee is not a lot if the amount is small but if you have larger amounts of money (say for rent or buying a larger item) the fee is 10 % I believe.
Amy G.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, Self-employed
July 18, 2019

“A must have for freelancers!”

OverallIt is easy client interactions and providing a safety easy platform for transactions. Using Venmo helped me realize how part of professionalizing as a freelance includes having a reliable set of tools to deploy.
ProsVenmo is easy to use and even easier to make an account. As a freelance writer, some clients do not like to pay via paper check and our banks are not always compatible for transfers without a fee. Venmo is a free and quick option for these transactions. Clients love how quickly Venmo works with their bank to withdraw money and I appreciate how it quickly transfers into my account. Very efficient.
ConsI wish the desktop version still had its complete features. Some people prefer transferring and requesting money on a computer versus a phone because their computer has more security software to prevent any data theft.
July 18, 2019
Natalie D.
Project Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees
May 21, 2019

“Great for Small Exchanges of Money”

OverallExcellent I love it for business transactions as well as for my personal life.
ProsI love how flexible and easy to use that this software is. It makes for a great system for money exchange between friends and colleagues. I have never had any issue with it. It is reliable and it is free to transfer money in to any number of your personal accounts. I also think it is an added bonus that you can now apply for a venmo card. I think it is a genius idea for when you go out to dinner for a large group everyone can venmo you the money on the spot and then it would automatically be on that card.
ConsThe only problem I have ever had is with sending money to the wrong user by accident. Venmo was able to return my funds within 3 business days which was a great response time. I just wish it was a little clearer who is who in terms of users to not create as many of those mistakes.
May 21, 2019
Ana P.
Accounting Controller
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
April 30, 2019

“Useful for everyday living”

OverallVenmo has transformed the way I pay my friends on nights out or even during afternoons at work. Forgetting my wallet is not the end of the world anymore and transferring money from my Venmo account to my bank is easy and free. In addition, Venmo has improved group planning events as it is easy to collect money from friends through the application.
ProsWhat I like the most about this software is the easiness of use and convenience it provides. Whenever I am out with my coworkers or friends and forget my wallet, I can easily sign in to my Venmo account and pay them without having any extra fees for making payments. I also really like the fact that I can transfer my Venmo balance to my bank account within 3-5 days without any extra charge.
ConsI really do not have any cons about this software. It is very easy to use and it is very convenient. I use it for different occasions, whether it is with friends or colleagues at work.
April 30, 2019
Higher Education, 501-1000 employees
April 19, 2019

“Essential app for sending/receiving cash, splitting checks”

ProsI remember back before Venmo existed, splitting checks at the restaurant was a pain in the butt for everyone involved. Now that all my friends have Venmo, it is a simple task to split up the bill and receive or send payments instantly. You can also request money from other users on the app, so I also use it to charge my roommate for rent and utilities. There is an even a function on the app that enables you to make simple calculations. If you want to send money to a friend privately, you can choose to do so. The bank cash out process usually takes around 3 days, which isn't bad at all. Since I use it so frequently, I usually have some money in my Venmo account, so it acts as a mini-bank account for me to give and receive small sums of money.
ConsI have nothing negative to say about this software. It makes me life so much easier.
April 19, 2019
Beverly W.
Marketing
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
May 6, 2019

“I am extremly co-dependant on VENMO and couldn't live without it! ”

OverallVenmo is the hip current Pay Pal that is fun and easy to use! I love the emojis you can use when sending or receiving funds - but you can also make the transactions private - which is a good thing too. Venmo is a SUPER useful tool that has quickly become a daily part of my life - both at work and at home!
ProsVenmo is literally a daily part of my life. If you buy lunch for a coworker - they Venmo you the money. We have a service come and wash our cars - we pay by Venmo! I also use it personally - to pay bills - loan money to my kids and for various other reasons. When I say I use it daily - I truly do! It is easy to understand and use and it is also super secure. I have never had a problem with the service they offer. You can either choose to get the money immediately (for a small fee - 1% no more than $10 - I believe) or you can use the free option and get then money in a couple of days. You then have the option of transferring directly to your bank.
ConsI really haven't had any negative issues with VENMO at all!
May 6, 2019
Education Management, 51-200 employees
August 6, 2019

“Great For Work Use as Well!”

OverallOverall my experience with Venmo has been great. The money is always transferred to my bank account very fast and I never had to reach out to them over any issues ever! In addition, money is also sent really fast when I make transfers. Venmo has completely changed the way I handle my financial transactions and I would reccomend for others to give it a try too!
ProsVenmo is great not only for personal use but also work as well! I have been able to use Venmo with my colleagues to split the costs of different events and for many job-related things. Whenever one person pays for something, the rest of us are able to split the cost and send money via Venmo. This is particularly great for event planning when we often buy many different things and so we can all pay each other back for purchases.
ConsWhat I liked the least about this software is that money transfers between individuals are public by default. I don't like this feature at all and think it's rather invasive due to the fact that other people can see who I'm sending money to and for the reasons why I'm sending the money. I would really like for this to not be the default option and instead, for private sending to be the default option.
Translation and Localization, 1-10 employees
June 21, 2019

“Venmo - Pay and Get Paid Easily”

OverallI have used this to pay and get paid many times. It is very convenient if you pick up foods for your friends or office and need an avenue to exchange funds. Payment is immediate and transfers are quick and easy.
ProsVenmo is the easiest payment software I have used so far. Anyone can sign up and exchange payments within minutes. It is very convenient in both a professional and personal setting. When I hired movers to get me into my new house I was more than pleased to know I could pay them with Venmo. There are no fees associated with its use and you are able to transfer funds using card and bank account information.
ConsI have never experienced an issue using Venmo.
June 21, 2019
Frank R.
Co-Founder, CTO and Product Lead
Hospitality, 11-50 employees
February 9, 2019

“No-hassle money transfer tool that's easy to understand”

OverallOverall, it's no surprise why Venmo has gotten so much traction and was eventually acquired by PayPal. It makes money transfer easier and more fun than PayPal had ever been. Now with Paypal's heft, we should see a steady stream of improvements. Their recent debit card release is proof of that.
ProsVenmo make it easy to send over money in just a few clicks without having to dig into menus or settings. For frequent contacts, it's even faster. The feed, while not for everyone, allows you to quickly see what you and your friends have transferred, along with helpful descriptions that are heavy on emojis. Finally, setting up a bank account and eventually withdrawing money to that bank account are simple. For those wanting immediate withdrawals, Venmo offers that for an extra fee.
ConsFor those that are't as keen on the social feature, there's no real way to turn it off. You do have the option of making all of your transfers private, but the feed is still there. Would be great if in addition to your personal feed, there were better reporting tools in the app. Finally, the immediate transfer option was formerly 25 cents, but it's now 1% of the amount, which doesn't make it practical unless there's an urgent need.
February 9, 2019
Computer Networking, 11-50 employees
September 24, 2019

“Sending and receiving money is now effortless”

OverallVenmo is especially useful for me at my workplace, where someone on my team will make a lunch run and instead of having to deal with cash (which, to be honest, most of us don't carry), we just Venmo the "runner" the cost of the meal. Being able to move money from Venmo back into my checking account is also very simple.
ProsHow ridiculously easy it is to send cash to a friend or family member. After creating your Venmo account, you simply link it to a debit card or checking account (don't use a credit card as there's a 3% fee for every transaction), and from there you can connect to friends/family already on the platform (Facebook is useful for this). Although there are weekly caps, it's around US $3000, so you can use the app for most scenarios. Recently, Venmo partnered PayPal, so you can now use Venmo on any sites/apps that allow PayPal checkout.
ConsI'm not crazy about the app essentially installing itself as a social networking app where I can see all contacts' Venmo transactions (and they can see mine) by default. This "feature" is easily disabled though. I actually leave it on because it's fun to see the sometimes hilarious messages friends leave with their payments.
Andriana G.
Civil Engineering, 1001-5000 employees
May 15, 2019

“Venmo ”

ProsVenmo is a great software where you can easily send money to others. I like how you can get on your phone and can instantly send money to people. I also like how they now have the option where you could be chosen to have a venmo card which would make spending your money easier. I use this app to pay for bills or pay back my friends for food.
ConsI have had Venmo for a long time. I originally really liked it because it did not charge you to use it, but now you are charged a 1% fee if you want an instant transfer. While you do have the option to have your money transferred without the fee, this does take multiple days to receive it. The software does not allow you to send people money from your bank account while you have a Venmo balance which I believe is a simple problem that could be fixed.
May 15, 2019
Publishing, 11-50 employees
April 15, 2019

“Venmo”

OverallFor a basically free service, Venmo has been fantastic. The small fees for an instant transfer is usually no hassle and it makes sending money a breeze. I just wish it were compatible with non-US accounts.
ProsVenmo makes it super easy to pay back friends and family for covering something for you or lending you money. It's also great for splitting bills and keeping people accountable for what they owe/what you owe. The stream of activity allows you to keep track of where money has gone and come from and what for. It's a very intuitive user interface with simple use. Having a venmo card is great for when you don't have the time (or maybe don't have your phone) to be able to transfer the money. Works just like a debit card would at retailers and is completely free to get!
ConsNon-US accounts cannot be connected to the app thus forcing people to go to PayPal in certain instances and it makes money sharing with long-distance family nearly impossible. The fee for instant transfer to debit has also increased which is just a tad annoying because larger amounts cost more to transfer or you have to wait a couple days and sometimes that's not an option in case of emergency.
April 15, 2019
nck h.
customer experience manager
Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees
September 30, 2019

“venmo, the lunch negotiator”

OverallGreat tool to split the costs on things amongst family and friends.
ProsVenmo is great to have especially when you go to lunch with co-workers. It helps with getting people to pay you back for lunch!
ConsDepositing money from your checking to Venmo can take some time but I really do not have anything negative to say.
Medical Practice, Self-employed
July 25, 2019

“Venmo”

Pros-its easy to use and convenient to use when you don't have cash on you. -the transfer to your bank is pretty simple and does not take that long -it is fairly easy to set up and once you know how to use the app it is convenient to use and find friends to transfer funds to -I used this when I am on the go and forget cash or don't have my debit card on me. Most people have venmo these days so people are comfortable using it. -I like that it emails me and texts me when I get money
Cons-it can be confusing to figure out at first. For example, when you are trying to find a friend to send money to I always get worried I am sending it to the wrong person. They have a code you can scan to find friends but it requires you to be in the same place as the friend to scan in person. Otherwise you are hoping that you enter the user name correctly. -The safety features on the app are not great in my opinion. I had an issue with fraud not too long ago, and venmo was completely unwilling to do anything about it. They would not investigate the problem even though someone scammed me. Basically you have to treat the money you send on the app as if it were cash and once you send it you will never see it again. Also if you dispute your credit card for fraud, then venmo will automatically disable your account. -I also don't really like that I can see other purchases made to other people when i send them money. Some things I would prefer to send privately and it seems to be all public. If there is a feature to make it private, it is not obvious . It should have a button to click to make it private when you send money to someone.
July 25, 2019
Jared M.
Digital Sales Specialist
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees

“Review of Venmo”

OverallVenmo makes things very easy for me if I need to split a bill with another coworker, I am able to put the charge all on one card and then utilize venmo to ensure everyone pays the same amount. This puts less stress on workers in the service industry to manage multiple cards
ProsI love how the software instantly can sync to your facebook and phone-book to ensure that you are paying the correct person by verifying mutual friends. The transfer process back to my bank is very easy and convenient. Venmo makes splitting bills with friends seamless.
ConsI wish that there was a way to make more secure payments for transactions with less trusted parties, I have been able to secure a payment for a 3% fee but this was only allowed for a purchase over $300, I wish I could do this with smaller purchases as well.
Design, 1-10 employees
April 16, 2019

“Great App - Powered By PayPal - Very Secure & Easy To Use”

OverallI think everyone should have a venmo. It's a very great tool for quick transfers and for an additional bank account that is practically free.
ProsVenmo is absolutely great for quick, cheap, and easy transfers for money to friends. For business conferences where we have to split a ride or hotel, using venmo makes it extremely easy to keep track of expenses, and transactions. They also now have their own debit cards with many perks. Since its powered by Paypal its very secure which is important to me.
ConsThe only con is for businesses that use PayPal as a payment processing system, it would be great to see a way to transfer the funds into the PayPal account since they are powered by PayPal. This would just add one more easy way clients can pay and make it a step easier for business owners.
April 16, 2019
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
September 17, 2019

“Wish I had this outside of the US! ”

OverallBefore getting Venmo, I found it such a pain to transfer funds or split the bill with others as nowadays no one really carries cash around anymore. After getting it, it has made my life so much easier. However, I do wish that Venmo could be used in a variety of countries with a variety of currencies, or even letting us connect other bank accounts (that aren't from the US) to the account so more people can use it. I'm also not a fan of the fees that people would have to pay if they wanted their credit cards to be connected to Venmo instead of a bank account.
ProsVenmo is my go-to whenever I need to transfer cash to other people or just splitting the dinner bill with my friends. It's so convenient, fast, and easy to use that I find myself using Venmo at least once a day (which I guess is pretty bad for my wallet now that I'm thinking about it...). Anyway, since it's almost always impossible to split the bill between more than 3 people in a restaurant, with Venmo, I'm not longer worried to pay first for the table, then request my friends for their share.
ConsIt's a shame that you can only set up a Venmo account if you have a US bank account. This makes it difficult for people from different countries and don't have a US bank account, but is still in the US for a good amount of time to be using Venmo. This would've been extremely useful for them as they would usually have contact with locals who have Venmo which makes splitting bills complicated when they go out for example.
September 17, 2019
Lisa K.
music teacher
Music, 51-200 employees
August 10, 2019

“Venmo is well worth it!”

ProsI love how easy and convenient it is to transfer and receive money. Venmo has allowed me to receive money from multiple others in America online. It is a great and convenient way to get paid for dues.
ConsOne thing I dislike is the fact that you must have an American bank account in order to use Venmo. This is a problem sometimes because I do work with others online from other countries, who can not pay me via Venmo since they do not have an American bank account. I hope they will update this in the future.
August 10, 2019
Legislative Office, 11-50 employees
July 21, 2019

“So Glad This Exists”

ProsThis whole platform is so easy to use. It is easy to search for people. It is easy to send and request money. I have used this personally and for business. It is so easy and quick to transfer money to your bank.
ConsThe website is not as functional as the app. In fact, the platform is purposely moving functions away from the website and will only be able to use the app. I just like the convenience of a website sometimes, but I don't think this is the end of the world.
July 21, 2019
Marketing and Advertising, 5001-10,000 employees
July 30, 2019

“Easy money transferring app”

OverallOverall, I enjoy Venmo. It's extremely easy to use and it's super convenient during a night out with friends.
ProsThere are many positives about using Venmo. First of all, the app is free. It's extremely easy and convenient to make payments or request payments from others. It also has been a lifesaver for me on numerous occasions when I've forgotten my wallet. Also, since downloading Venmo, dinner with friends is much more seamless. Instead of requesting that the server split the bill 3+ ways, my friends and I can instantaneously transfer money to each other without being a burden to the restaurant. I also love that they offer their own debit card. As a money-saving hack, I'll transfer a certain amount after every paycheck so I can keep track of my spending for the month.
ConsWhile I love Venmo, I also use Square Cash because of its "no-frills" aspect. While Venmo does allow you to make payments privately, I find the whole social aspect of it a bit invasive. I'm honestly shocked that people often refer to Venmo as a social media platform.
July 30, 2019
Jordan W.
Retail, Self-employed
July 24, 2019

“Best deal in peer to peer payments.”

OverallI often purchase inventory from collectors of hobby enthusiasts. Venmo is well trusted by myself and the people I buy from. It's also extremely easy to use, an unreal value and almost universally used at this point. I wish it had been around years ago when I first started my business!
ProsThe ease of use. I love how widespread it is among the general population. I don't have to explain what it is or how to use it to my customers or suppliers. It's also lightning fast and I haven't experienced any fraud attempts so it feels as if their security is pretty tight.
ConsI would appreciate more use outside of the app only. It used to have a more useful web presence but now almost everything requires use of the app instead of being able to use the website. I found the website to be a bit faster for me as searching and typing at a PC is a bit quicker than using a mobile device.
July 24, 2019
Erik W.
Business Manager
Real Estate, 1001-5000 employees
May 28, 2019

“My go to cash exchange app!”

OverallIt changes the way you split checks or pay for services or exchange money.
ProsIf my mother, two aunts, AND grandma can download and use this app without having me walk them through the step by step process then you bet your sweet bottom that it's an easy app used to exchange money. Even the kids in my neighborhood use Venmo for payments. Lawn service. Venmo. Baked goods fund raiser. Venmo. Honestly, it's so much easier to do; especially since I never carry cash. If you have Venmo then you are much more likely to get my money.
ConsOnly difficulty that I know people have faced is linking their bank account. They usually get over it really quick and once up and running they're good to go.
May 28, 2019
John M.
Partner
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
April 9, 2019

“Venom does what banks are unwilling to let you do - pay your friends easily!”

OverallVenmo is a game-changer in the realm of transferring money between friends and family. I use it often, and I love it.
ProsEasily and quickly transfer money to people you know. Money recipients can cash out immediately to their bank accounts for a small fee, or wait up to two business days (usually just ONE for me!) to cash out. Cash out and transfer limits do exist, but they are so high that they barely matter. - Pay rent to your roommates/landlord - no more messing with paper checks and waiting for people to cash them! - Make splitting the bill or gas money for a trip instant and painless - You can even get a debit card so you can spend money in your Venom account immediately - don't even worry about a two biz-day transfer or instant transfer fee!
Cons- Instant transfer fee is annoying, but they've got to make money somehow! - Transfer limits - my rent is $3k and my landlord has to make two transfers to his bank, since the cash out limit is $2,999.99 :-/ Not the world's biggest deal, but another layer of confusion for my aging, techno-phobic landlord
April 9, 2019
Jared R.
Audio Technician
Automotive, 1-10 employees

“Business Uses”

ProsMy wife and I own a small company and being able to offer Venmo as a payment option is amazing. The ease of use for both us and our customers is a huge plus. Being able to add notes and track transactions makes accounting easy. Probably the most beneficial for us is being able to transfer our money directly into the account same day for a small fee, whereas with our other payment options, the money doesn't hit our account for 3-5 business days. We love using Venmo for both our business and our personal transactions.
Cons5% is pretty steep when it comes to immediate transfers, but it's worth it if we need the money right then and there.