Wing Python IDE Ratings

Overall

About Wing Python IDE

Wing is a light-weight but full-featured Python IDE designed specifically for Python, with powerful editing, code inspection, testing, and debugging capabilities. Wing's deep code analysis provides auto-completion, auto-editing, and refactoring that speed up development. Its top notch debugger works with any Python code, locally or on a remote host. Wing also supports test-driven development, version control, UI color and layout customization, and includes extensive documentation and support. Learn more about Wing Python IDE

John F.
programmer

“Why Wing”

OverallI have used Wing for many years. When I started programming in python I needed something better than the editor provided by python. I wanted an IDE that provided an integrated debugger, warned me when I had syntax errors, corrected my spacing and was cross platform (windows and Linux was required). Wing was the only IDE that I thought met those needs and was available at the time. That tells you how I got started with Wing but it does not tell you why I continue to use Wing after all these years. Today there are lots of python editors that could meet my needs - my needs haven't changed much. And yes, I have used many of them. But I have always returned to Wing. I have used PyCharm, Atom, Sublime, Eric, SPE, and Vim to name a few. They all have their strengths and their weak points. In fact I enjoyed using Atom a lot. But I still returned to Wing. I think the real reason wasn't because I was used to Wing (you know it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks) but because of the flexibility of Wing to meet the ever changing Python landscape. I started out using wxPython then Django and soon after Flask. Wing was right there for me allowing special setups providing an easy way to integrate those technologies into my everyday programming requirements. When I reported a bug it was dealt with almost within a day. Yes that right - one day. The only other editor that responsive has been Atom - but they took at much as a week to fix items.
ProsWing debugging has always but one of it's best features. I have never found a better one. PyCharm's debugger was good too and it did a little more but then again in the end I didn't need the extra info PyCharm provided.
ConsNegatives are not really there - all the python editors have some issue but I found Wing to meet my needs even if I find a bug every once an while. I have the same to be true with all the other editors.
Machinery, 201-500 employees
January 18, 2019

“I'm a fan of Wingide and I'm happy to admit it.”

OverallI have been using Wingide pro for a long time - I believe I started with version 1 or 2 and for the past 10 years have been using it every day for python development at my work supporting a GUI application that allows calibration and diagnostics of a distance measurement system. The current version of the application has been in development for 5 years, uses a range of classic python packages including numpy matplotlib and wxpython and has grown to include a large number of python modules. However, Wingide has been able to handle everything I have been able to through at it with out any problems. I also use Visual Studio of a fairly regular basis fro c++ development and think that Wingide is every bit as good and in someways better than Visual Studio . If you are in the market for a professional level python IDE you really owe it to yourself to, at least, try Wingide.
ProsThings I really appreciate about wingide (pro): The publisher 's have a civilized pricing and licensing approach. The developers behind the product are very attentive to user feedback - they respond quickly and with clear reasonable answers concerning problems. When I have reported issues I have typically got a decent response on the same day. Unlike the case for some IDEs (I'm looking at you eclipse) creating and managing a project in Wingide is not a pain. Easy to debug into running python projects. The debugging ability in wingide is excellent . The debug console tab is very handy for example - hit a break point change the current context and then continue. Happiness. Easy navigation around a project with things like the go to definition feature or find points of use feature Runs on multiple operating systems - I did not have to learn a new tools when I moved over to developing on Linux. Good documentation.
ConsHonestly nothing really has upset me about this software - I normally try to use free, opensource products but I am happy to pay for Wingide and have encouraged a number of my colleagues to start using it and they seem happy with the product too. I'm aware that there are now a number of other decent python ides out there (thank you people - it was not so good in 1998 -1999 when I started working with python) but Wingide just works so nicely for me that I have not felt any desire "to play the field" looking at the competition.
Jeff V.
President/Founder
Airlines/Aviation, 1-10 employees
January 18, 2019

“My Python IDE of choice after trying several”

OverallI have been using Wing IDE for over 9 year and it has never failed to allow me to allow me detect and correct any problem with the code. The ability to auto-setup projects, environments, attach to Anaconda environments, notebooks etc is first rate. As for support there is none better in the software world that I have experienced. Literally minutes after I post a problem (during normal working hours - it might take a couple hours otherwise) there is a response with a suggestion, solution or acknowledgement of an issue. It is really unbelievable support.
ProsI have the professional version which provides the Debug Probe tool. This tool is excellent as it allows you to inspect and change variable values, execute code etc at the stack level that you are at or move to. This is far more sophisticated that most other IDE's ability to change a variable value. The ability to "attach" the debugger to executing Python code that was started outside the debugger is another great feature when you are trying to see the code execute in its actual environment.
ConsUntil recently I did not like the fact that is did not alert the user to unknown variables, as the tool has excellent auto-completion. Wing 7 in now in pre-release and I am using it does this and several other things. This feature is very useful. Based on your code type an looping the debugger can cause a slow down. I'm not sure this is a problem isolated to Wing as I have seen the same thing when using PyCharm.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. Python debuggers in general add overhead proportional to the number of byte codes executed, and with nested loops that can be a large number. There are some tricks to avoid this but depending on the debugger and the code and what breakpoints are present things can slow down in a seemingly disproportional manner. This occurs because most Python code actually does most of the CPU intensive work in C code in the Python internals, standard library, or other extension modules (or by Cython). So the number of byte codes executed is far lower. That said, I think there is more we can do to address this in Wing and we'll try to do that.
Ram R.
Senior Software Developer
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
January 26, 2019

“Great all-around Python IDE and debugger”

OverallI've been using Wing IDE as my main development environment for 10 years now. I'm a big fan of Wing. I've used it for my open-source projects, my client projects when I was working as a freelancer, and now I use it at my work in a corporate environment. I do Python programming almost exclusively, so its Python-centric approach is a good fit for me. The debugger is first-class. It works on multi-process, multi-thread programs. You have your breakpoints, watches, step commands and everything you can expect from a modern debugger. Remote debugging is supported, which is especially crucial in a corporate environment, where you're debugging code that runs on different machines. They've recently added advanced features like recursive debugging, which helped me do some deep troubleshooting at my job. The editor is great. It's got VI and eMacs mode and it's extensible with scripts. It has lots of useful tools (like showing documentation, refactoring, diffing, Python shell, etc.) which I spread across 2 big monitors. The support staff is great. I've made many suggestions and requests for improvement to them over the years and they've implemented many of them. Bugs are fixed quickly. Overall, I highly recommend Wing IDE!
Pros - First-class debugger - Great, extensible editor - Cross-compatible with Windows / Linux / Mac - Responsive email support - Extensive set of tools
Cons - I can't get it to fill out my taxes :)
January 26, 2019
Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees
January 18, 2019

“Just about the best & worth every penny (Pro User)”

OverallI use Wing IDE Pro both at my work and at home - if I wasn't happiest with it of all the IDEs & Editors that I have tried (and I have tried many) then I would have shifted years ago.
ProsThe support is excellent & fast to respond. Debugging provides just about every feature you could hope for including being able to execute exploratory code anywhere in the stack trace in the case of an exception or while at a break-point - you can even remote debug on target hardware. Editor is fast and responsive with good syntax highlighting, error & warning marking and good autocomplete, (but not too in your face like some). Integration with various tool chains, (wx, qt, Vagrant, Jupyter and more) & external tools such as pylint & various version control systems are both very good. Being able to use a single licence on multiple machines is a positive blessing.
ConsNo spell checking of comments, docstrings & strings (it has been mentioned as a possible future feature). No GUI designers, (I use wxPython but designers for the others would be a nice feature as well). It would be nice to have editors for Markdown, ReStructured Text and html all with preview but might be overkill.
Zuzana B.
Staff Software Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
April 12, 2019

“ It has a good capacity editor and the debugger ”

OverallVery useful in some projects in which we apply, the results were as expected could be completed in a limited time and with the desired quality, one of the advantages that strengthens in the quantum environment creation and I think it is an aspect of High relevance for any developer regarding the term of their projects.
ProsIt is a good IDE that is very useful when programming API, it has a good capacity editor and the debugger also has a considerable and useful quality for the end user, it is multiplatform I think a key aspect especially when working on different devices or there are changes in equipment and are the most common such Windows, Linux, offers many more functions for developers expert level so the capacity of the product is broad and is not limited to few aspects, as its use is easy because the usual commands are not applied and their support always responds and deals with the problems in an appropriate way.
ConsMaybe its interface is not the best, it is not something striking but sometimes certain aesthetic aspects do not affect so much, the most important point is that its functionalities respond to the needs of users in terms of their use.
April 12, 2019
Douglas W. G.
Software Engineer doing Hardware R&D
January 19, 2019

“My Indispensable Tool for Python Development (every day)”

OverallUsing Wing IDE has increased my productivity. The debugger especially has reduced time spent fixing bugs. Writing Python code has become more FUN.
ProsFrom the beginning I found the product had wonderful usability. Wing has tons of features and it takes time to learn to take advantage of them. From day 1, I found my development more comfortable. I developed a large web application based on python CGI scripts. I found certain features, like the remote debugging, to be a thrill. After using Wing for a very short time, I upgraded to the Pro version, which I have now been using almost a decade. The support from Wingware is outstanding. They really care about what the users are experiencing and they address problems promptly. Their IDE product is about two decades old. That takes a lot of commitment. The program is always scurrying around providing valuable information. Right clicking or hovering provides fast access to valuable features.
ConsThat's a tough one. I am at a loss to think of anything, honestly.
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
January 18, 2019

“highly recommended for professional and amateur”

OverallI am WingIDE user for many years. I start to use WingIDE Pro since version 4.xx. It's super fast, the auto-complete and debugging are amazing. You can use your license on multi-computers, and it's one-time purchase. WingIDE is very easy to learn (yes, it's true, IDE has learning curve), I still like the feel when writing code on WingIDE, it feels very relaxed. I used all different IDEs, some are free and open source (Eric, Eclipse, Atom) some are commercial (Komodo, WingIDE, PyCharm, IntelliJ). I always feel WingIDE is the most "pythonic" one. It's hard to explain, try it for couple weeks, then you can experience it yourself. Unfortunately I had to switch to JetBrain product on 2018. It's slower (java based) and more expense (yearly subscription mode). However the main reason I have to switch to JetBrain product is not because WingIDE is not good, it's due to the workflow change, I have to work with multi-languages on same project. (mixing of Python, Ruby and Golang) and I did not switch to PyCharm, I switch to IntelliJ. So, it's not really "apple to apple"
ProsVery Fast Easy to use Good debugger WingIDE Pro has better price than PyCharm Pro.
ConsSome feature missing or behind PyCharm Not many plugins available Smaller community than PyCharm
Alessandro C.
Tecnico - Analista/Sviluppatore
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
January 18, 2019

“It's something worth with”

OverallI work with wingide (pro) since 5 years. I did try to change it with some other ide totally free... but no one gives to me same level of productivity.
ProsDebugger. I work with zope/plone enviroments and the ability do place simple brackpoints directly on a code line without import any pdb and without restart the process is, IMHO, what's worth of it. It is written in python so is really efficient in running python code against other editors written in java o c#
ConsEditor is a little bit old. Others IDE add graphic facilities that make them really cool. WingIDE lack of coolness but. Some recent meta languages haven't their syntaxt hilight (for eample. react jsx)

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for posting this review! Wing 7 add some things that might help with the coolness factor, including callouts for better indicating results in search, find uses, etc and ability to press Shift-Space to overall all the values of symbols in the editor. If you have other specific things you'ld like to see, please let us know. You're right there's no jsx support yet. I found mapping that to Javascript in the Files > File Types > Extra File Types preference is better than nothing, though.
Thomas R.
Financial Services, 51-200 employees

“A great IDE”

OverallI use Wing every day as part of my job as a Software Engineer. My experience is generally very positive. It is the best IDE I've tried.
ProsWing has an excellent debugger, with great code inspection and autocomplete. The ability to work on remote projects is great too. Customer support is amazing. You can often expect an email response from the dev team within minutes of filing a bug report.
ConsSome features are lacking compared to editors with plugin support, and the small development team means new features are often slow to arrive.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. Just to clarify, we do have plugin support and you can write extensions for Wing in Python and even develop and debug them in Wing. However, you're right that there are not a lot that people have shared. The more ambitious extension efforts I'm aware of are specific to the customer's development process or products. Those things that have been contributed though us are stored here: https://bitbucket.org/sdeibel/wing-contrib/src
Wen-jet W.
GM of Operational Dept.
January 28, 2019

“A Python IDE that release the power of your mind”

OverallWe are a company providing Natural Langugae Processing solutions, especially in Mandarin. The Stack Data and Debugging tools that can show Chinese characters correctly at some breakpoint saves us a lot of time. We really have a good time at work with such a great tool.
ProsIt's intellectual editor response and fast launch speed help me focus on the logic behind my code. Not to mention the prompt and friendly responses from Support/Sales and mailing list makes us feel like we are astronuts working in the deep space, and always having a solid support team making sure our gears are right for the mission.
ConsI get lost in the full-functioned preference settings often.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. We're hoping add a way to search the preferences dialog to make that easier to manage. The organization is also somewhat improved in Wing 7.
January 28, 2019
Awais A.
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
September 30, 2019

“Easy way to coding”

OverallOverall it's a great powerful tool for Python programming which provides a full range of features.
ProsProvided simple, clean, and minimalist interface which makes writing code easier and helps to focus on the main task which is writing code without a lot of distracting features.
ConsAdding new packages can be tricky and the price of a pro license is on the higher side. It also doesn't support any other programming language.

By Wingware on October 4, 2019
Thanks for the review! In case it helps people who read this, I think the reason this review mentions that adding packages can be tricky is that Wing doesn't currently have a package manager integration, so you need run pip or conda or whatever you're using from the command line. An integrated package manager is something we plan to add in the future.
September 30, 2019
Mitchell M.
Independent Consultant
Biotechnology, Self-employed

“Spectacular”

OverallI have used Wing for so many years I can't even remember when I started. It is a joy to use. The features just keep coming year after year. Customer support is ridiculously responsive and on target, with responses immediately disseminated to all users. The Wing guys have extraordinarily deep understanding of Python, frameworks, platforms, debugging, and user needs, and a great imagination for features and capabilities.
Proshuge feature set, integrated support for many frameworks, external & network debugging, tremendous cross-platform support and choice of keyboard "personality", wonderfully customizable, highly flexible arrangement of windows/tabs/tools, powerful editing and debugging facilities
ConsThere is nothing whatsoever that I dislike about this software.
Anthony F.
Engineering Lead
Aviation & Aerospace, 11-50 employees

“Best Python IDE”

OverallWe are an specialized engineering company that writes desktop applications for engineers to perform process simulation and related data analysis. We have been using WingIDE Professional for the past decade with a small team of developers. We could not be happier with the product and the support!
ProsThe debugger and code navigation tools are some of the best features in WingIDE. It is very easy to trace problems through complicated code. It is easy to jump to areas of code that you need to find. The editor is theme-able and so many of our team work in "dark mode" -- but not everyone. The support is also great -- issues get responded to quickly and fixes pushed within days.
ConsWe do not have any complaints about WingIDE.
abdul b.
student
Computer & Network Security, Self-employed
June 11, 2019

“python ”

Prospython is very good language and is very vast iun the future
Consvery slow idle and no black theme and no suggestions

By Wingware on June 12, 2019
Are you reviewing Wing Python IDE or Python and IDLE (the default IDE that comes with Python)? Wing does have a dark mode, which you can turn on from the menu icon in top right of the window and configure from the first preferences page. Also, Wing does have auto-completion. If you tried Wing 101 then those are turned off by default because that edition of the IDE is designed for teaching beginning Python programmers and the people we designed it with felt it would often be best to disable it initially. It can be turned on in preferences. If you are using Wing and it's slow please submit a bug report from the Help menu so we can look at why that is the case. Thanks!
June 11, 2019
Computer Games, 201-500 employees
January 18, 2019

“A Senior Software Developer's Review of Wing”

OverallAt this point, Wing is my primary IDE, which I use for everything that is more complicated than vi or textedit. I use it not just for Python, but also data files (XML, JSON...) and even C++ where I don't need a full blown C++ IDE.
ProsThe software has many great features, but they are all modularized in such a way as not impede those that don't need them. This leads to a very fast learning curve as I don't need to learn about things that I don't need on the way to things I do need. A particular feature that should get a shout out is the remote development tools. We do a lot of development on AWS and colo hosts and being able to edit directly from my laptop to those hosts is a huge time saver.
ConsWing has had some, though not a lot, of stability problems. Wing support has been very helpful in finding and fixing these as they occur.
Nicholas N.
Computer Networking, Self-employed
March 8, 2019

“Great Python IDE for beginners”

OverallI began to use Wing once I started dealing with more complex projects. Wing is great for managing large sets of files and getting results instantly.
ProsThe IDE allows me to write my code and execute it all within the same window. Far easier to work with than IDLE.
ConsThe UI design seems outdated (mostly black and white). This could lead to difficulty using the IDE if you have eyestrain.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. You can change the color of the UI from the first preferences page with the Color Palette preference. Also, checking Use Color Palette Throughout the UI below that applies the colors to everything and not just the editor. There are a couple of new palettes in Wing 7 and we've added a high-level configuration menu in the top right for easily switching between your configured dark theme (or a default if you haven't used on yet) and light theme. If you have other specific suggestions, please email us at support@wingware.com or submit a question at https://ask.wingware.com/
March 8, 2019
António S.
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
February 28, 2019

“Light overall, Powerful where it matters”

OverallI've used Wing IDE on my first Python experiences, and it's a breeze comparing to many python setups (pip nightmares) that many times beginners are recommended. Wing just works and it's the way to go.
ProsWing IDE has the best power capabilities while being lightweight and easy to use, of the market. Out of the box, Wing just provides everything you need both to learn and develop a Python project on it.
ConsExtensions and Theming possibilities are not as good as they should be, which isn't something crucial but that matters to me.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. If you have specific requests for improving theming please let us know by emailing support@wingware.com or adding a feature request at https://ask.wingware.com/ Wing can be extending in Python, and extensions can even be debugged with Wing, but indeed there aren't as many contributed extensions as we would like. Those that exist are stored here and anyone can add to that by forking and submitting a pull request: https://bitbucket.org/sdeibel/wing-contrib/src
February 28, 2019
Research, 1001-5000 employees
April 14, 2019

“Very easy to use IDE”

OverallI use Wing both for my research projects and for teaching Python for beginners. I think Wing is able to be customized for both kind of tasks
ProsWing is a very easy to use IDE for Python. I use it for teaching since it provides an intuitive user interface which do not overwhelm an user who's learning to program. Wing combines with Python philosophy of making things neat and clear
ConsOne thing that I missed in previous versions of Wing was the small set of palettes for coloring syntax.

By Wingware on May 27, 2019
We did add a few more color palettes in Wing 7, and you can also write your own based on the existing ones, as described (briefly) in http://wingware.com/doc/custom/qt-styles Thanks! Stephan Deibel Wingware
April 14, 2019
Lloyd R.
programer
Computer Games, Self-employed
October 6, 2019

“Wing Python IDE”

OverallI love Wing Python IDE, i was able to code some thing faster due to all the extra help this software gives you
ProsWing helps you program python code much faster and easier lots of tools to help speed up your coding and understanding of python, very useful for beginners
ConsThe price is a little high if you don't use python on a everyday basic
October 6, 2019
January 21, 2019

“Universal Python Debugger”

ProsAbility to debug anywhere, especially AWS instances...the IDE is on my local box and is driven by the remote cloud instance. Consistent and just works. Features and updates are a continuous stream.
ConsLearning very advanced features can be hard.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. Just wanted to note that there's a tutorial in the Help menu, which covers most of the feature set and also extension documentation in the manual and how-tos, which are also in Help menu. If you find things that are under-documented please email us at support@wingware.com and we'll help and also improve the docs.
January 21, 2019
Melvin R.
Engineer
February 14, 2019

“Great debugger”

ProsEasy way to step through python code line by line.
ConsNot as lightweight as the text editors I am used to.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. If you run into performance problems please email us at support@wingware.com. There are times when Wing will do substantial processing in analysing your code but this should stop after a while and the results are cached. If it's sluggish in general then something is wrong and we can help by collecting a profile and trying to solve the problem.
February 14, 2019
Angelica S.
helpdesk
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 employees
April 19, 2019

“wing python ide”

Proscan use for encode, editing and can use anywhere to program.
Consthere will be nothing to be unlike with this software
April 19, 2019
Dennis W.
Mr
January 18, 2019

“Increase productivity and become more effeciency! ”

OverallAs I mentioned earlier, it increase productivity and allow us to become more effiency. In the end, it's all about time.
ProsHow I can organice my work and get good overlook of all running projects.
ConsThe learning curve can be steep, especially if you also new to python language.
Bruno Nicholas S.
Software Engineer and Developer
May 27, 2019

“Best python development experience ”

ProsBest python error display format I've experienced which makes debugging that much easier
ConsTrial period is for only 30 days. It takes sometime to get familiar with the interface and tools

By Wingware on May 28, 2019
Thanks for the review! Please note that if you need more than 30 days for the trial, then you can just email the trial license number to us at support@wingware.com to request more time. Stephan Deibel Wingware
May 27, 2019
Oil & Energy, 10,001+ employees
January 31, 2019

“One of the best Python IDE”

ProsI like the possibility to easily inspect running Python code just by attaching to it during the execution. It runs beautifully on Windows, Mac and Linux, it is easily extensible and a joy to use. It is all that I need to support Python development and testing.
ConsIt would be good to support more plugins. I had a few stability problems which have been solved by the support team.

By Wingware on March 15, 2019
Thanks for submitting this review. Wing can be extended in Python, even debugged with itself, but you're right that there are not a lot of plugins that have been contributed publicly. In my experience people's extensions seem to often be specific to their development process or products. Those extensions that have been contributed are stored here, and anyone can add to that: https://bitbucket.org/sdeibel/wing-contrib/src
January 31, 2019
Paul N.
Program Developer
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
May 2, 2019

“Good python editor”

ProsIt is good for python learners with auto indentation and auto completion features. The error trace is very useful
ConsThe interface is not as attractive as modern IDEs and editors. The free version has very few features
May 2, 2019
Jay A.
Sr. Principal Software Engineer
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
May 14, 2019

“Solid python IDE and can get the job done”

OverallI would have been inclined to keep using Wing had better VI/VIM compatibility. Unfortunately, I'm locked into the VIM ecosystem and used to using the key commands for development. Other than that, Wing Python IDE is a solid development environment that I would recommend for a beginning Python developer.
ProsEasy to Use Nice features for development Good debugger
ConsDidn't have good VI/VIM compatibility for a power user.

By Wingware on May 27, 2019
Please let us know which VI/VIM bindings or capabilities you're missing so we can look into adding those in the future. Thanks! Stephan Deibel Wingware
May 14, 2019