Oliver v5 Ratings

Overall

About Oliver v5

Oliver v5 library management software offers a digital rich, engaging experience for the entire school community. As a fully web based solution it can be accessed from any desktop or tablet device, allowing students to discover library & learning resources 24/7 in school, from home or on the go. Easy to use functionality such as smart cataloguing saves school libraries hours of resource time. Intuitive search, drag & drop, advanced integration & quality support is what makes users love Oliver v5 Learn more about Oliver v5

Graham G.
School Librarian
September 19, 2019

“An unrivalled combination of user-friendliness, reliability and first-class support”

OverallI manage a large and busy library in a secondary school serving more than 1,000 students, so I want my library management system to help me provide a professional service to students and staff. "Professional" in this context means being able to circulate books easily, quickly catalogue and curate content, and promote library resources and services in an effective manner. Oliver is that system. It offers an unrivalled combination of user-friendliness, reliability and first-class support. Deciding which LMS to use is one of the most difficult decisions a school librarian has to make. I happily recommend Oliver to anyone and everyone who asks, because, based on my experience, I think it's the best.
ProsI particularly like three aspects of Oliver. First, I like its reliability, which I think is in large part due to its robust, platform-independent, browser-based management interface. In two years of using Oliver I've had only one occasion of downtime, which lasted all of thirty minutes. I cannot not say the same of the previous system at my school. Second, I like Oliver because it's very user-friendly. Students and teachers. who won't hesitate to complain when something is frustrating them, frequently comment favourably on Oliver's Amazon-style interface. They they find it appealing and easy to use, whether they're searching for books or online resources on LearnPath (Oliver's optional content curation platform). Third, I like Oliver because its support team is so responsive; I cannot over-empathise how important this is. Everyone I've contacted, without exception, has demonstrated a clear understanding of how school libraries work, the pressures I'm under and the importance of fixing any problems as quickly as possible. Staff quickly respond to queries, whether by phone or email (I rarely have to wait for a call back, while almost all emails are answered within 30 minutes), they fix most problems on the spot, and they are very willing to take on board ideas for developing the software.
ConsSome areas of the management interface are cluttered, the layout of some functions could be better and one or two housekeeping processes are - for me - a little illogical. Such issues are usually the consequence of a new feature being added but not entirely integrated with an older function it's intended to complement. For example, the latest version of Oliver offers management users the option of creating customised emails for circulation notices, but it doesn't entirely replace the older system of creating and scheduling emails and consequently is unnecessarily complex and frustrating to use. I also don't like having to sort through so many options for reports when only one or two of them are relevant to me; I'd appreciate more options for customisation in this area, along with several others. I fail to understand why the system sends students and staff overdue notices during school holidays when it's impossible for them to return books - something that annoys both me and the teachers and students receiving the emails; the only way of stopping it doing so is to turn off the automatic overdue emails altogether, which shouldn't be necessary. These are, however, minor niggles when set against the strength of the system overall.

By Softlink on September 22, 2019
Thank you so much Graham for your lovely review. We are very pleased to hear you find Oliver v5 so useful.
September 19, 2019
Trish W.
Libraries, 201-500 employees
August 18, 2019

“Exceptional functionality and great support”

OverallBeing able to create content that incorporates library resources seamlessly (via LearnPath) is very important for us. The ability to make the Oliver program available from anywhere 24/7 (i.e. totally web based) is also very important to our school community. The online helpdesk is quick to respond and we usually resolve any issues very quickly. Oliver is a powerful tool in our delivery of resources and services to our school community.
ProsOliver is a comprehensive library database software that specifically caters for our school needs by offering excellent functionality and continual upgrades that address issues that sometimes arise.
ConsOliver is very expensive compared to the local New Zealand alternative - Accessit .

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Trish. We strive to provide a quality library solution that provides real value. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
August 18, 2019
Terri M.
Librarian
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
September 26, 2019

“Reliable, user-friendly and content-rich library system with lots of scope for customization”

ProsThe search function is very easy and powerful for students and other users, with scope for adding lots of extra content, such as reading lists, genres, users' own book reviews. We train our new students in basic searching and management of their own account (reservations, renewals, and now - setting up favourite book lists and searches), and it's great to see them empowered to use the system for themselves. I quite often see them showing their skills off to prospective students on school open days! I am looking forward to using our LearnPath modules to develop tailored libguides to print and electronic resources to support all our subjects at school, both within the library and beyond.
ConsI've been using the system for ages now and know it well, but I think the sheer number of features and options for setting up the system in different ways could be overwhelming for a new user. There are lots of training videos and webinars throughout the year to support users, though - and I have had good tech support too. We also use RFID and I desperately wish Oliver had programmable hot keys in the circulation desk module so that we could link issuing and returning books with the correct RFID function automatically (securing or unsecuring tags).

By Softlink on October 9, 2019
Thank you Terri for taking the time to write this lovely review. We are pleased to hear you find Oliver very user friendly and content rich. It is great to hear you are looking forward to using the LearnPath modules as well. We really appreciate your wonderful feedback.
September 26, 2019
Krista T.
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees
August 19, 2019

“Great Product, Outstanding Customer Service”

OverallWe installed Oliver v5 in January 2018 to replace the Alice operating system. Although there were a few issues initially with printing barcode and spine labels, I was very impressed with the Help Desk and the support we received to resolve the issues. Oliver v5 has been a great investment for our library, with students enjoying the opportunity to track their borrowing and browse the catalogue from their classroom, and teachers finding the borrowing and returns process simpler and more intuitive. I am greatly looking forward to implementing many more of Oliver's featurs this year, and know that I have support and assistance from a great Help Desk to back me up. Well done Softlink, your product, Oliver v5, is impressive and so is your after-sales service from the Help Desk!
ProsOliver is like a turbo-charged version of Alice, our previous operating system. It is very user friendly and intuitive, and our students love being able to track the books they have borrowed and want to borrow in the future and write book reviews.
ConsThere were a few glitches in the label printing, however these were very competently sorted out by the amazing Help Desk staff, who went above and beyond to get the issue sorted out.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. We're so glad our Support Team were able to help you out. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Anette A.
Teacher Librarian
Education Management, 201-500 employees
August 19, 2019

“Appropriateness for a School”

OverallFrom the start when we were looking for a new Library Management System, Softlink has been obliging and supportive. Once we migrated to Oliver, we have had a very happy experience. All our Library staff have been able to contribute to the administration, not just dedicated administrators. Staff and students of the school find it easy to use.
ProsSoftware is logical to use and there are great Help functions available that will step you through what you need to do to upskill or solve a problem. Support is always available and promptly. The interface of Oliver is attractive and can be customised. Also easy for staff and students to use. For more complex cataloguing, there is more than adequate features to accommodate original cataloguing.
ConsSome of the higher levels of features such as Acquisitions are a little trickier to master.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. We're so glad it has been such a positive experience for you and the school. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Hayley H.
Resource Manager

“Oliver V5”

Overall"Thank you so much. I am logging in now to have a play, ready for my training in the morning. So exciting. Thank you to all of you at Softlink for the professionalism you have shown and flexibility to be able to fit in our data conversion after the problems we had with our previous provider. I am very excited to now be dealing with such a professional company." Since having Oliver V5 I have found that it has saved me a lot of time that was being wasted with my previous library program. I find the response time when inputting data and going to new screens is quick. I have found that I rarely need to contact softlink as most things I need to use generally just work, the only time they don't is something I am not doing correctly. Extremely happy with the Oliver program and the customer service provided.
ProsI mostly like that it is so easy to use. Most areas I can work out how to do what I need to do. If I can't work it out and contact softlink, they always assist with working out the problem. I find that they are always very quick with replying to my emails and assistance is very quickly provided.
ConsThis is not so much a problem with the software, but I haven't worked out how to email parents automatically from within the overdue screen.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Hayley. We're so glad implementing Oliver v5 has been such a positive experience. We'll get our support team to get in touch and help you with the overdues. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Trevanna C.
Head Librarian

“My opinion of Oliver.”

OverallI use Oliver as an everyday working tool. It is predictable and reliable. It brings an attractive flair to customer service. They particularly love the library map that shows where materials are located.
ProsI have always found that Softlink library software (and I have used practically all of their products) are straight forward and think like a librarian. I like the colourful, visual options and the easy navigation forclients.
ConsI initially had trouble adding sliders or carousels but then the support team helped me out. I have also used the fingerprint identification since it first came out but the company which produces that software hasn't had great support over the last three years.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Trevanna. Aligning our products with the real needs of library professionals, students and educators is our priority so this is the best feedback ever! We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Susan G.
College Librarian
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
August 12, 2019

“Oliver easy to use”

OverallIt is very easy to train staff and students and I can limit what information they see or can use if I would like to do this
Pros"Oliver V5 is a great system and very user friendly to teach and train. I train student volunteers from Victoria University's Library and Information Services studies as well as many parent volunteers. The hover over buttons assist if they are trying to work out what to do and they love the help button. Smart cataloging has halved my time when cataloging and I love how Oliver V5 automatically sources details from SCIS, Library of Congress, the National Library or any other data source I choose to use. I just love the product, it has streamlined every aspect of what we do and very easy to train students to use the system".
ConsThat the Smart Cataloging does not show you if you have imported the picture of the book

By Softlink on August 18, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. We strive to provide real customer value and really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
August 12, 2019
Katharine Y.
Head of Library
Education Management, 11-50 employees

“Great for schools”

OverallSoftlink is usually quick to reply to questions and will give detailed help for complex issues. Having the Oliver community is a great support network linking us with other education users. This gives us opportunity to share ideas specific to the schools with one another. Having online webinars are a good tool for professional development
ProsEasy for students to use and can be used across multiple school campuses. Being able to have Oliver and Orbit to cater to different age groups makes it a viable option for K - 12 schools. The ability for students to search and filter allows them to learn important information literacy skills in a meaningful way as they search for resources.
ConsHaving multiple campus libraries makes it difficult for our students to only see or reserve the items within their own library.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. We are very glad to hear you find the Oliver Community and our webinars a great support and we really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Colleen S.
Librarian

“Marlborough Colleges Oliver”

Overallwith Oliver we have been able to reach out users and promote our resources better. The ability to use the app on the phone is helpful. Would love access to more promotional material we could adapt for our users such as posters, bookmarks or cards as we introduce the platform to new users each year
Pros24/7 access for our customers, email alerts and notices, customer support
ConsNot always intuitive to use and some reporting not entirely what you want, stock taking modules

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review and feedback Colleen. We strive to provide real value and improvement and I have taken your feedback to the team. We will also get in touch with you about promotional materials.
Julie T.
Head of Library Services
August 20, 2019

“Oliver v5”

OverallI have used the Oliver library system for several years now and the Alice library system prior to that. It makes daily library tasks very simple to do and allows more time to be allocated to helping students and spending time within the library.
ProsOliver v5 is very easy to use. Keeping track of library items is no problem. There are lots of reports to choose from. The customer support is brilliant; they are so helpful and always get to the bottom of any infrequent problems that arise, no matter how big or small.
ConsI don't think there's anything to dislike.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Julie. We really appreciate your feedback and are so glad the system is able to save you admin time so you can spend more time with the students.
August 20, 2019
Roger B.
Teacher Librarian
August 19, 2019

“Switch up to cloud based service for multi campus college”

OverallEase of use allows for quick responses to customer queries. Customers quickly become self sufficient which is great for this context as there are not always staff in the libraries.
ProsIntegration of three libraries into one service allowing searches across multiple locations Search Facility is available away from the library - customers can perform searches on any device. Look and feel can be customised to different user age levels.
ConsThere was a bit of custom setting needed behind the scenes for the first few weeks to get it tweaked for the desired eservices but this became set and forget.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Roger. We're so glad you are getting real value and really appreciate you taking the time to write this.
Laurel B.
P-12 Teacher Librarian
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees
August 19, 2019

“An Integrated Approach to Information Literacy in School Libraries”

OverallWe've realised that Oliver can help us take an integrated approach to information literacy with our students. It's not just a tool for looking up resources - we can also use it with our library lessons for review writing and research tasks.
ProsOliver v5 is a reliable and accurate product that allows us to run our school library in an efficient manner. I love the support from the Softlink team. They are always readily available for help and to answer any questions I might have.
ConsSometimes the back-end set up requires further knowledge and support.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. It's great to see you are getting such advanced use out of Oliver v5. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Lou W.
Higher Education, 51-200 employees

“Oliver rules!”

OverallWe've had over 20 years' experience with Softlink LMS, and see no need to change at this point.
ProsThe GUI... Softlink are hip to the student groove.!
ConsWhen in Resource Box Maintenance, I'd like to be able to SORT resources by Resource Title, so that they are easier to find.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Lou, and your ongoing support of Softlink. We strive to provide ongoing innovation and real value to our customers and their students so it's really wonderful to hear your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.
Sarah M.
TDET Librarian
Education Management, 201-500 employees
September 2, 2019

“Oliver - delivering more!”

OverallOliver helps the routine stuff become invisible, leaving more time for the fun promotional activities and increased support for T&L (Teaching and Learning)." "Support is great, response time is fast. I loveOliver!
Prosfunctionality, quick and helpful technical support
Consdevelopment requests can be slow to be created

By Softlink on September 3, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Sarah. We really appreciate your feedback and are so glad the system is able to save you time so you can spend more time on the fun stuff. It's great to hear you love Oliver v5.
September 2, 2019
Brian H.
School Librarian
August 19, 2019

“Excellent Software for any library. ”

OverallComing from an Oliver Jr. user for roughly 9 years, Oliver v5 is a huge step up. Excellent experience so far with it.
ProsThe design and layout makes it very easy to use. The menus and added functions make admin work far more productive such as auto cover image linking. Being web-based has opened our catalog up to the school community as well.
ConsI have not been able to utilize reports as much as I would like to. I find there are lots of preset reports ready to use but they do not always cover my needs. Customizing my own reports has not been as straightforward as I had hoped. There is a learning curve.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review. We really appreciate your feedback and support. I have forwarded your feedback about the reports to the team as well. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review
Gloria K.
library technician

“New to Oliverv5”

OverallVery user friendly and a extremely helpful support desk.
ProsI have found my transition from Oliver jnr to Oliver v5 a very smooth process. It is extremely user friendly and the support is excellent. Having Oliver v5 connected to cases would have to be the highlight of this program. I no longer have to search for the new student via cases or sentra, I don't have to do anything. The program updates each night, adding new students and removing those who have left. One tedious and time consuming job I no longer have to do."
ConsSo far I haven't found any difficulties or 'least liked' applications of this program.

By Softlink on August 22, 2019
Thanks so much for your review Gloria. We're so glad the integration with CASES21 has worked out so well for you and the school. We really appreciate you taking the time to write this review.