Wildnote Ratings

Overall
4.4/5
4.4/5
4.8/5

About Wildnote

Wildnote, a cloud-based platform for collecting, managing, and reporting environmental data, offers offline data-collection (iOS/Android), integrated photo management, built-in taxonomy lists, export formats (PDF, Excel, Word, KML ... ), and agency-ready reports (USACE Wetland Determination / Cultural Resource Management ... ). Personal product support and tailored training help clients start smoothly. Professional services create customized collection forms/exports and specific features needed. Learn more about Wildnote

October 3, 2019

“Good for field data collection”

OverallThe Wildnote team has gone above and beyond to help me with their software, and the system is best used for collecting field data instead of generating narrative reports. (*These opinions/experiences are my own and are by no means meant to be an official stance by my employer or company.)
ProsI love that you can take field data/notes offline and then come back and finish it on the desktop. While the search function is still in Beta testing, I love that you can search all of the forms you have ever created based on the answer to a particular question. That is so useful when trying to filter forms. Customer service has always been absolutely fantastic with resolving my problems and questions in a timely manner. They are very personable, working one on one with you to develop a form to best fit your needs. (*These opinions/experiences are my own and are by no means meant to be an official stance by my employer or company.)
ConsThis software is great for organizing field data, but the lack of customization makes it difficult to use for narrative reports. You cannot control how the output of your report looks, so you get a very block by block layout that you cannot customize to create a better flow. If you start layering question rules or conditions (ex: one question shows based on another one's answer), the software can glitch. You have to be careful if you are adding data out in the field and there is a long time between data inputs; the system will produce a blank form for you, and if you are not keeping an eye out, you can end up with multiple forms for a single survey with different pieces of data on each one that will need to be combined. (*These opinions/experiences are my own and are by no means meant to be an official stance by my employer or company.)
Denise G.
Environmental Specialist
July 8, 2019

“Easy to use, good product”

OverallI have been a user and admin. I use the reporting daily to fill out reports and I create new projects and surveys. I've beta tested certain features and cooperated with the Wildnote team when things did not work well. I have had to train coworkers on using the program.
ProsI like the ease of switching from devices and computers and still be able to access all of my information. It works well for individuals or as a team that shares duties. I like that the pictures are saved from each report and are easy to find. That helps out when we have to give presentations, we can easily go back to photos instead of searching through reports.
ConsIt can be glitchy. For awhile it crashed. If you have workers who are resistant to technology I think they are less likely to want to use it if things go wrong. When you have a bug in the report duplicating can be an issue.
Diana W.
Senior Environmental Specialist
June 25, 2019

“Wildnote is versatile and easy to use”

OverallThe finished report looks great and our clients like it. Also, if we have problems or questions, the staff at Wildnote are excellent at helping out right away. I would say 99% of the time I have had a question, I get a response within an hour. Usually someone is on the chat line, so you can get your question answered immediately. Customer service is excellent.
ProsThe ability to customize the reports for each project. We do a variety of tasks, and we can create drop downs for each task and location of our project. It helps the field personnel save time on reports. You can also create what kind of report you want for each project (SWPPP, Daily, Spill, Avian Survey, etc.).
ConsThe only thing I wish I could change would be our SWPPP inspection report. It has a box that asks specific questions and sometimes the questions are long sentences, so the box doesn't go across the page horizontally which wastes space and you end up with an 8 page report.
jeffrey m.
project manager
June 18, 2019

“Wildnote review”

OverallWe have a couple people dedicated to updating our files/reports, so I don't have as much experience in all that it takes to put together. I like it, and our clients do like the end product.
ProsI do like that it provides an avenue for field reporting, pictures, etc. It is fairly easy to use. when I do on the computer, very easy to maneuver around.
ConsFor me, harder to do on ipad and phone. I prefer to do on computer. Sometimes when doing a report, if I forget to save, or set down and don't save, I lose information and have to redo. I did have issues in the past on attaching some larger documents, but haven't tried recently. I think when have multiple pictures and/or docs attached, may impact saving capability.
June 18, 2019
Jesica H.
Senior 1 - Archaeologist
Environmental Services, 10,001+ employees
July 3, 2019

“Fieldwork timesaver!”

OverallThe transition to digital is a little nerve-wracking as the hard copy method feels more secure for some reason. The time spent in the field was cut nearly in half as well as a huge crew morale boost that is achieved with the stress relief from having less hurried field time and less physical demand to conduct the field work without the use of a clipboard, paper, and pencils to juggle.
ProsThe ease of utility in being able to have all of my project documents loaded into the project folder so that there is no chance to be without vital task information while conducting time-sensitive and often costly fieldwork. Managing time spent in the field more efficiently without having to take off backpacks to conduct and complete detailed field documentation.
ConsI had a few glitches here and there, but documenting duplicity and utilizing the support team got us up and running in no time. My biggest complaint is the cost for short periods of time. Fieldwork often requires short runs in the field with large or small groups depending on the project. Year long subscriptions are not as advantageous to businesses that need these costs to be rolled up in the project., rather that shoulder the cost as a ongoing overhead when it is not used consistently throughout the year. Managing the monthly subscriptions is also a bit tricky and complicated to sell to management.
July 3, 2019
Shelby Z.
Environmental Analyst
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees
June 17, 2019

“Collects Data Faster and Keeps it Organized!”

OverallOur focus is the environmental consulting realm where we utilize Wildnote to collect, manage, and generate reports for utility scale projects with hundreds of datapoints. Wildnote automatically organizes our data, and creates informative reports and metrics. Our own investigation show we save 40% of our time in the field, and countless hours post-processing the data and generating reports describing our findings. A+!
ProsEndless opportunities for customization, and easy to use interface. Wildnote folks bent over backwards to work with us and tailor the software to exactly what our group required. We collect data 40% faster and we can generate reports with just one click. Big time saver and keeps all our data organized for reference!
ConsProject administration and creating templates using the web portal could be more intuitive and user friendly. A big reason this is useful is that it inherently keeps data organized for multiple projects, so I think a bit of time thoughtfully configuring project administration web pages and workflows will help keep busy project managers organized.
rod D.

“WIldnote Saves Time”

OverallLarge data and team needing to Monitor projects for long periods of time is when wildntoe is at its best.
ProsWildnote is a straghtforward easy to teach and use product that saaves time when processing large amounts of field data.
ConsI wish they would add a feature that allows you to track a topic or issue across reports. For example on Monday I observe improper erosion control, on Tuesday its still there and wednesday it is fixed. Instead of each one being treated independently a way to open a file and check on it each day until closed would be extremly useful . Also a way to customize reports more easily.
Chris W.
March 12, 2019

“Wildnote for Archaeology”

OverallOverall, Wildnote has improved workflows, increased efficiency, and decreased the bottom line. Revenues are up and we are able to complete more projects on time and under budget.
ProsWildnote is scalable for all types of projects. If my company wants to hire 20 people for a job I know Wildnote will be able to handle that temporary increase because of the flexible pricing and with it working on both Android and iOS devices. The ability to build my own forms quickly and deploy them immediately is also a big plus.
ConsIf it had a strong mapping component the software would be more effective. I've been in contact with the team at Wildnote, however, and this is coming down the line at some point.
March 12, 2019
Jack T.
Ecosystem Restoration Specialist

“Wildnote Review”

OverallWe have streamlined a field data collection process to reduce the opportunity for human error when recording data, and reducing time spent to convert written notes to a digital format. The ability to upload data/reports from the field and have instant access to the information throughout our users on Wildnote has been useful in tracking project statuses.
ProsReal-time syncing of data collected in the field to managers or other users off-site. Customizing forms to fit the needs of our organization. The customer support has been top-notch, and we are never far from a solution when issues have arisen. The export feature allows us to file PDFs on our servers and keep records internally and through Wildnote. We have not fully integrated our field operations into Wildnote but are looking forward to the continued deployment of this software to increase our efficiency and reduce redundancies.
ConsThe customization of forms can feel a bit clunky at times, and is not terribly intuitive. That being said, with a bit of time spent on familiarizing myself, I like the amount of customization you can put into forms. There have been a few issues when trying to upload photos, but customer support staff have provided a high level of service and suggested work-arounds or solutions promptly.
Ali K.
Environmental Specialist
June 17, 2019

“Wildnote makes my life easier!”

OverallI love that I can easily cover for a coworker by logging on and seeing all of their past reports and notes.
ProsI like how organized, adaptable, and easy to use it is.
ConsIt freezes sometimes, and I think the printing procedure is cumbersome.
Joy L.
Biologist
Alternative Dispute Resolution, Self-employed
September 12, 2019

“I Love Wildnote for Data Collection”

OverallI love that I can just whip out my phone and read off my data to officials, in meetings, or to build my own presentations to provide my data in more professional settings.
ProsI've used a lot of programs for this but none so easy as Wildnote. I am a biologist who works with organizations on building simple environmental studies and wildnote allows me to keep all of my field data right in my pocket and ready to use.
ConsStill a little buggy. I've had it crash on me a couple times as it seems to be in the early stages of development but even in those crashes I didn't lose any of my entered data. So, lose, win?
September 12, 2019
Neil B.
Environmental Associate
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees

“Great Product”

OverallMy overall experience has been very positive. Wildnote has helped save considerable time processing field data, and has helped with overall report quality and consistency.
ProsWildnote helped me streamline my data collection process. Field data is collected electronically and can immediately be processed into report quality data forms.
ConsCreating new data forms can be a bit of a trial and error process. Mainly how much information you can/should include in the questions. Too much information can clutter up the data form, and too little data will result in considerable white space. The only way to know (to my knowledge) is to create the data form, then export a test pdf.
Rosemary B.
senior wetland scientist
Environmental Services, 5001-10,000 employees
June 25, 2019

“Makes data collection so streamlined!”

OverallThe software streamlines data collection, reduced post-processing and data entry time (translates to savings for the client), and makes clean data outputs and photo pages for reporting.
ProsThe software is easy to set up, easy to create a collection form the way I needed it, and super easy to get the pdf output of the data form that I needed. Customer service is helpful, and willing to walk you through any questions or issues; they even helped us retrieve data that we thought was lost (it wasn't, just well hidden). Photos and data are all in one place, and easily retrievable.
ConsI am not fully confident about the accuracy of the GPS coordinate collection. The software only uses the intrinsic tablet GPS, and does not allow for connection with an external GPS receiver (which would increase accuracy of collected lats/longs.
Zavud B.
Master Student
Environmental Services, 501-1000 employees
August 3, 2019

“Review for Wildnote”

ProsI love the fact that the software allows me to make use of its features even while I am offline. It is definitely the most useful feature of the app in my opinion. Because, if you are collecting data for environmental projects, you might not always end up with a very strong internet connection in fields where you are collecting the data. What I also love about the app is that it allows me syncs all of my devices and enjoy my data from whatever device I want.
ConsThere are few things that I strongly dislike about the software. What I dislike most about the software is the fact that it sometimes shuts down without any reasons. That might be extremely annoying especially when you are on a field working and having a limited time period. Also, I am not satisfied with app's smoothness because it sometimes works too slowly. I hope the company will solve these problems soon.
August 3, 2019
Todd C.
Eastern Biology Department Manager
Environmental Services, 1001-5000 employees

“Intuitive and Functional”

OverallWildnote is allowing us to be more efficient with our mobile data collection procedures
ProsThe software has existing forms that can be used out of the box (e.g., US Army Corps of Engineers wetland determination data form), modified to suit one's needs, or created from scratch. Within 2 hours of first logging on, our field tech was able to build his own custom form that suited our needs. Also, the field techs can do everything necessary to collect and retrieve the data themselves. There is no need to have a dedicates staff member to build forms and manage data. Costumer service is outstanding.
ConsInitially there were a few glitches that resulted in indicator status on USACE data forms not auto-filling, but this issue was resolved quickly.
Jeremy H.

“Wildnote Fun and Easy”

OverallI am able to more rapidly collect data, and integrate that data into my reporting with Wildnote.
ProsI like being able to reduce the time getting ready for the field, and being able to get my survey forms to pop up on my tablet when I need them.
ConsThere was some learning curves, but that is typical for most new software.
Ryan G.
Assistant Division Manager
Construction, 11-50 employees
June 17, 2019

“Carolina Wetlands Services Review”

ProsThe software is very user-friendly and intuitive. It allows our personnel to spend half the time in the field.
ConsThe only downfall that this software has is that setting up different projects can be a challenge.
Erica T.
Archaeologist

“Straightforward and User-Friendly”

ProsI like how customizable the software is
ConsI don't like the fact that occasionally it crashes. One report refused to sync and caused Wildnote to crash whenever I tried.