Circula Ratings

Overall

About Circula

Circula is an early stage SaaS startup offering an innovative and paperless solution to complicated and tedious travel expense management. Designed with European tax standards in mind, the mobile and web app support your individualized expense invoicing process in real time, helping to create a seamless and straightforward experience for road warriors, accountants and managers alike. Learn more about Circula

Matteo B.
Data Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
August 28, 2019

“No frill, easy-to-use expense management system”

OverallCircula strives to make expense report quick, simple and efficient and mostly succeeds. It is very useful for German companies (and their employees) as it seamlessly takes into account some idiosyncrasies of the German system, such as the per diem calculation. However, I feel some aspects are not as well polished as they could be, and the app "scan receipt" function needs improvement.
Pros Circula is no-frills: simple, essential, almost zen-like interface that makes it easy to accomplish the most frequent and important tasks. Excellent integration with the German expense management system: correct calculation of the per diem is a big plus compared to most competitors. The app "scan receipt" function is very convenient and allows one to start doing expenses while on the go.
ConsSome aspects of Circula are still not well polished: The app "scan receipt" seem to work very rarely on automatic mode. It ends up being an annoyance and I found it more convenient and faster to just switch to manual mode and edit/annotate my picture as needed. Some inconsistencies between the desktop and app version: for example, why is the "receipt storage" only accessible from the app? I would like to be able to access it and e.g. delete useless items also from the desktop. Rules/constraints are enforced very strictly. For example, the system will simply not allow you to upload an expense indicating a date in the future. As a matter of fact, it would be often very useful to start sorting out expenses in advance, for example uploading in Circula plane or train tickets that have been purchased for a scheduled trip. A future/invalid date could give an error flag or prevent submission, but one should still be allowed to file it.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Matteo, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Jana L.
VP Finance
Insurance, 51-200 employees
May 13, 2019

“Circula improved our travel expense reimbursment process a lot”

OverallAt omni:us, travel expenses used to be managed via an excel template shared with employees. The system, which relied on employees making sure they submit the appropriate information, quickly found its limits due to unreadable documents, slow approval process, etc. With circula we could solve all those issues and in Germany the processes are easy and smooth now. The transfer into the accounting software of our tax consultant (datev) is super quick and easy.
ProsIt is easy and more or less self-explainable. The customer service is really really good and quick. Always every question/issue we have is solved within 24 hours max.
ConsThat it is not international. Our employees from other countries unfortunately need to use a different software as the per diems are only based on the German system. So currently we are using 2 travel expenses tools, because we hope circula will be adjusting soon for the international market as well.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Jana, Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
May 13, 2019

“An amazing tool I would like to recommend”

OverallI integrated with Circula a paperless process for the reimbursements for employees. During the implementation the Circula employees were very patient and answered every question I had.
ProsI like the Circula employees most about the software: The customer service of Circula replies very fast and in a very friendly and professional way. The Circula Team is very open if we suggest product improvements or if we have special requests.
ConsThere is no API with our accounting system and with our personnel system. We work with Excel export and imports.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We offer a DATEV import which is used by majority of the companies. Write to us and let us know what accounting systems that is in use so we can build a connection if it doesn't already exist. If you have any questions or facing any issues our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Kristi R.
People Operations Manager
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 1-10 employees
May 13, 2019

“Not very intuitive, not clear enough for some costs”

OverallFor a small team, it's really comfortable, because you don't have too much paperwork regarding costs. For a bigger team, I could imagine that it might get a little messy. It's also a lot of manual filling in of things, and sometimes it's not very clear. For example if you put in a date, it doesn't suggest the correct formatting for date, so you have to guess until you get it right. It would be much easier to have a date picker OR that the tool automatically formats to the correct date. Otherwise, I'd really recommend it as a tool.
ProsThe most I like the fact that you can scan the receipts and quickly create expenses. All in one place, easy to manage and easy to have an overview.
ConsWith trips and per diem costs, it is very unclear how much one would get and what to click and not to click. It would be nice to have a dynamic overview shown instantly, how much would you get back for a trip. It would be good to have a way to check it. The fact that it's calculated afterwards is confusing, and the way to check the amounts for how much you could get is very manual.

By Circula on May 23, 2019
Hi Kristi, Thank you very much for your feedback. We are aware of these issues and I wanted to let you know that we already have a solution for them which will be released in the next product update. I am happy to tell you, that our mobile app is already capable of scanning receipts with OCR technology, which automatically fills in all the relevant information of your expenses. If you have any more questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you! :)
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
August 21, 2019

“Easy to use, user experience could be enhanced in some areas ”

OverallOverall I enjoy using Circula and it provides the best user experience of the tools I have used so far (SAP and WorkDay). I recommend it.
ProsCircula is an easy to use software to file expenses. I like the mobile app and how it plays together with the webapp.
ConsAs an employee who has submitted expenses I want the ability to add a comments to my filed expenses so that I can track if the company has payed these expenses or not. I did chat with Circula support and this feature does not exist yet. I noticed that some of my co-workers had issues setting up their account. The cause was them trying to register without having received an invite from another user / admin. This path leads to a dead end.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of the issue and we're already working on a solution. I'm happy to let you know that the duplicate sign ups wont happen anymore as we are enhancing the sign up flow. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
August 21, 2019
Banking, 11-50 employees
May 14, 2019

“Highly pragmatic and effortless travel expense management”

Pros- The submission and release of documents can be completely mapped via the software, taking into account all regulatory requirements - With the complete digitalization of our travel and expense accounting, CIrcula helps us to reduce time and effort for our travel expense management - Furthermore, there is no need for paper based processes. We simply scan our receipts via the Circula app - Besides the functional benefits it also has a great design and user experience
Cons- Some small Features which i miss currently. But I'm sure that they will work the missing features off. - In the long run i wish that i can also book travels via circula

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you would like to share with us more feedback or your views on our product, our support team is more than happy to talk to you!
Dmitrii N.
Software Engineer
Internet, 201-500 employees
September 17, 2019

“Nice software”

OverallMost of the time I use it to reimburse my business trip expenses and I'm satisfied. It saves me time and is more intuitive in comparison to spreadsheets that we used before.
Pros* Very easy to use! - great alternative to long and boring reports created over and over from some template. * Has the mobile app. * You can track the status of your submitted expenses (approved/rejected/not reviewed).
Cons* It only uses euro as a currency. I work in Prague and pay in Czech Crowns for my train tickets. During the submission, all the prices are converted to euro. When approved, it's also in euro but I get Czech Crowns into my bank card. I'm not very happy about that double conversion. * The number of receipts that can be attached to a single expense is limited to 3 (enough for most cases but sometimes I needed more and had to merge PDFs to fit into that limit).

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Dmitrii, Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this issue and I wanted to let you know that we are working on a solution for international subsidiaries which will be released soon. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
September 17, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
May 13, 2019

“Very easy management of expenses”

ProsTime savings through easy handling and the interface
ConsNot so much that need to be improved. Looking forward to your further development.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any questions or facing any issues our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Carsten C.
Quality Manager
Hospitality, 11-50 employees

“Extremely easy to use”

ProsThe ease of use Great functionality to take Pictures of receipts Great that it reads PDFs
ConsCommented expenses cannot be easily resubmitted - you need to create a new expense App could learn to read photos as well as t does with PDFs

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Carsten, Thank you very much for your feedback. We are aware of these issues and I wanted to let you know that we already have a solution for them which will be released in the next product update. I am happy to tell you, that our mobile app is already capable of scanning receipts with OCR technology, which automatically fills in all the relevant information of your expenses. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any more questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Olivia O.
Head of Online Marketing
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
May 14, 2019

“Excellent experience from a user perspective”

OverallThanks to Circula I no longer need to run around with the physical copies of my receipts, and submit them both manually and electronically! I have one, centralized source where I can view and organize all of my expenses. Plus, the design of the app is streamlined, modern and fresh, which is unusual for financial-related apps.
ProsI use Circula regularly to claim my expenses, and the whole process, from scanning the receipt to submitting my data, is always seamless.
ConsIf I had to single out a point of improvement, I would love to receive notifications in the app once my expenses are approved, that way I don't have to check in. Other than that, none so far.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Olivia, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. The feedback on receiving notifications once expenses are approved are already on the product feature board and we're working towards it. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any more questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Gitta M.
Head of Accounting
Market Research, 11-50 employees
May 13, 2019

“Excellent package for handling expenses”

ProsEase of use for accounting purposes, easy creation of PDF reports
ConsThe fact that this is now only available for the German market, we would like to use this for our other European companies as well if possible.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Gitta, Thank you for your feedback. We are aware of this issue and I wanted to let you know that we are working on a solution to allow standard currencies which will be released soon. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Karl-Fredrik S.
Marketing Manager
Internet, 11-50 employees
May 14, 2019

“Great tool for all your expenses”

OverallWe use it company-wide for all our expense management. I think everybody enjoys the app and the ease of use for everybody.
ProsAll in one software for your expenses. I was super surprised about how easy it was to submit everything. Just quickly take an image and you're done
ConsNothing comes to mind right now. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to make the app available in all country app stores, as that would make it easier for people with different apple ids

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Karl, Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Thorsten B.
VP Sales&Marketing
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
August 14, 2019

“Circula - surprisingly easy to use for a topic like expenses”

Overallthe sales team can focus on sales - the overall time to do get the expenses sorted is significantly reduced - bye bye Excel!
ProsI really like the ease and use and their mobile app. I can on the fly generate my expenses (while sitting in the taxi or in the train). Clear instructions how to properly follow the process
ConsIt's not reducing the complexity of the german expense laws :)

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Thorsten, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Lucas M.
Senior Manager Business Development
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

“Circula”

Prosusability, ocr software for DB bills, it is easier than excelsheets
ConsSometimes the scans of the bills (i.e. Taxi) are difficult to read

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Lucas, Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to tell you, that our mobile app is already capable of scanning receipts with OCR technology, which automatically fills in all the relevant information of your expenses. If you have any more questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Kay-Uwe S.
Immobilienmakler
Real Estate, 501-1000 employees

“Easy as can be”

ProsVery simple use, everything works without problems, saves a lot of time, compared to former ways of treating any kind of bills.
Consnothing so far, it works as it is supposed to.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Kay, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
May 15, 2019

“Intuitive!”

OverallI used Circula to ask refund for my work trip to Athens, nice interface and easy to use!
ProsIt's easy to use and the interface is pretty intuitive
ConsFew questions should be written better during the process

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. If you would like to share with us more feedback or your views on our product, our support team is more than happy to talk to you!
May 15, 2019
Anastasia W.
Project Consultant
Staffing and Recruiting, 11-50 employees

“1-2 tools more needed ”

ProsIts very easy to handle, good overview and i like what is look like
ConsThat is no way to Check which payments have already been transferred

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Anastasia, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. If you have any questions or facing any issues our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Lena W.
Service Design
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
May 14, 2019

“Easy way to do your travel expenses”

Pros- you can do your expenses via an App on your phone - directly upload receipt and system prefills information - easy to use - nice overview of all your upcoming/current/past trips - seeing the status of your submissions - you can have several destinations for your trip
ConsOnly thing I am currently missing is to have a date and time picker. But other than that the system is so far really good and easy to use.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Lena, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. Circula now has the date picker. If you have any questions or more feedback to share our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Monika O.
Senior Internal Operations Manager
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
August 14, 2019

“Circula is very easy to handle for everyone”

OverallHappy to use Circula - it makes the life at work easier for Admin also for users
ProsGetting SEPA xml file exports, PDF Exports and also CSV exports - i like the easy usability and its not hard to explain how Circula works
ConsI hope to get more features and benefits in the future, happy at the moment.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Monika, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any other questions or would like share your experience, chat with our support team!
LAURA P.
EVENTS LEAD
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

“Circula Review”

OverallIt is a really useful tool becuase you can submit your expenses while you are traveling.
ProsThat it is super easy to use and intuitive.
ConsWhen you are inserting the receipt and all the details i would like to have the possibility to amend it.

By Circula on October 9, 2019
Hello Laura, Thank you for your feedback. We are soon releasing a feature update with the option of reverting or amending your submitted expenses. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Internet, 201-500 employees
May 13, 2019

“Best way to track expenses on the go!”

OverallThe speed of processing is so much faster than the conventional paper way. Your submission goes to your manager right away and can get approved much faster.
ProsThe fact that the app is mobile friendly is the most important feature for me. The scanning feature makes things so much easier and in many cases, the app will input the data for you. Also, you can start the process on your phone while on the go, and finish on your desktop when back at the office if you wish to.
ConsNothing bad to say really. It might be a bit confusing at the beginning when calculating your per diem, but give trust to the app and you will not have to worry about it at all.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi there, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. To receive updates on more features and learn more about Circula, subscribe to our newsletter here www.circula.com [at the bottom-right of the page] If you have any more questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Marcel G.
Senior Consultant
Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
August 26, 2019

“free trial”

Prosthe easy handling and the low implementation effort
Consno automatic interface to DATEV payroll a. o.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Marcel, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
August 26, 2019
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
May 14, 2019

“Great travel reimbursement app”

ProsEasy to use. Earlier I did my travel expenses weeks or months after my trips. Now I am doing it in the train or flight back home. The quality of the images is amazing and using the app is fun. That's how it should be!
ConsThat I don't do so many trips and cannot use all the features ;-)

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hi, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Michael T.
Lead Solution Specialist
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
May 13, 2019

“Travel costs made easy.”

OverallGreat to work with and no more months of delayed travel cost reports.
ProsIt reduces the amount of time necessary to enter travel cost acceptance requests by a large amount. It's easy to use and powerful at the same time.
ConsSometimes it's still not flexible enough. But that's rarely the case.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Michael, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. If you have any questions or facing any issues our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Karina B.
Managing Director
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
August 28, 2019

“Awesome product that makes the expense management process much more efficient”

OverallMade our process much more structured and helps the general accounting process when it comes to travel reports
ProsBatch file for bank transfer to reimburse expenses
ConsWe did not experience any drawbacks so far

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Karina, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to see that you like our product and it was beneficial for you company. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Andrea M.
EVP
Sports, 51-200 employees

“Circula usability”

OverallTime saving - quite efficient - ease of calculations provided by Circula
ProsEase of use/no need for instructions - makes life easier
Consstill having some hick-up communicated to the people responsible in our company.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Andrea, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. If you have any questions or facing any issues our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Sebastian P.
Chatbot Content Manager

“Straightforward and painless”

ProsWorks very well all in all and is easy to use. Fast, cleanly designed. Never had a technical issue.
ConsProduces black and white scans only. If you want to scan documents like train tickets that becomes a problem.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Sebastian, Thank you for your feedback. We're really glad you like our product. If you have any questions or more feedback to share our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Césa D.
social media specialist
May 14, 2019

“It's very simple and easy”

Overallvery good
ProsEasy to use and support always aware to help us
ConsThe documents sent to the address shall remain there if possible (for recurring payments

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Cesa, Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Andrea K.
Project Consultant
Pharmaceuticals, 51-200 employees

“Everything is fine”

ProsIts an easy to use App where the Functions are self-descriptiv
ConsWould like to add and save more adresses.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Andrea, Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
caroline g.
business developement france

“Interesting”

Overallgood
ProsHandy Easy Smooth Clear Quick approval
ConsMissing import of CSV Does not read PDF Several features missing related to trips

By Circula on May 23, 2019
Hi Caroline, Thank you very much for your feedback. It is possible to export expense reports as a CSV file. I am also happy to tell you that our mobile app is already capable of scanning receipts and PDFs with OCR technology. Our support team is more than happy to help you with this. If you have any specific feature requests related to trips just let us know. :)
Julie B.
Marketing Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees
August 16, 2019

“No more Expenses problems”

OverallI'm getting my expenses and the process is easy and smooth
ProsThis is easy, you just have to upload your expenses. Less back and forth with others.
ConsI didn't experience anything bad so far.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Julie, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
August 16, 2019
Onur V.
Social Media Manager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 201-500 employees
September 12, 2019

“An Easy Way to Claim Your Expenses”

ProsThe tool has a very user-friendly interface and the forms are easy-to-use.
ConsJumping from one uploaded document to another under the same expense report is a bit troubling.

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Onur, Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Patrick S.
Broker
Real Estate, 201-500 employees

“I like it”

ProsIt´s the easiest way i know to claim your travel fees.
ConsYou cannot see who already checked your inquiry

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Patrick, Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback has been forwarded to the product team. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!
Jorge M.
Senior TA
Accounting, 51-200 employees

“Easy to use”

ProsIt is really easy and quick to use very friendly
Consno reason to dislike it yet because only used it oncw

By Circula on October 7, 2019
Hello Jorge, Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you like our product. If you have any questions our support team is more than happy to answer them for you!