Easy Digital Downloads Ratings

Overall

About Easy Digital Downloads

With Easy Digital Downloads, it is possible to sell any kind of digital good on your website. Zero transaction fees, powerful free features, and a setup process which takes only minutes make it a great choice for eCommerce beginners. Advanced premium features, hundreds of integrations, and a proven track record make it a perfect solution for businesses of all sizes. Whether it be eBooks, software, videos, music, courses, or any other digital good, Easy Digital Downloads is a trusted solution. Learn more about Easy Digital Downloads

Dustin W. S.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
September 30, 2019

“Best choice for digital products and marketplaces”

OverallThe overall experience with EDD is excellent. Even when I run into issues, their support team is pretty quick to respond. And when I need to do higher level customizations, the community behind EDD has created a vast amount of tutorials and examples to pull from. This combination has really made me a fan for life.
ProsThe best thing about EDD is that it is simultaneously simple to use, but also full-featured for the more complex stores. Setup takes less than 5min for basic functions to get your digital product store up and running. And if you need more features, there are lots of useful add-ons to get you what you need. As compared to other ecommerce solutions I've used, I've never had an easier time getting things set up and running.
ConsAlthough it is also a strength, the amount of extensions available for EDD are a bit daunting. It would be nice if it were easier to figure out which extensions you need without having to go one-by-one through all of them and read the features. There are also a handful of extensions that feel lacking in documentation and explanation of what they do.
Dave W.
Computer Software, Self-employed
April 26, 2019

“Feature-Packed, Reliable Way to Sell Digital Software”

OverallOverall, Easy Digital Downloads are pretty simple to use. They've done a great job with the admin UI, providing easy-to-understand settings to customize the experience, while not overwhelming you with too much. It's also been incredibly reliable. I've had it running for almost a year now, selling both a WordPress plugin & an online course. I've updated it, and some of its extensions, several times without any issues. Everything just works. And that's exactly what you want out of your ecommerce solution. And because it's such a popular plugin, there are many third-party developers & extensions that can help with all kinds of additional functionality. The EDD ecosystem is a healthy one.
ProsEDD might offer more bang for your buck than any other WordPress plugin out there. The core software provides a solid foundation, and the number of official extensions is truly astounding. Everything from marketing tools to payment gateways to third-party integrations... they've got you covered. Their software licensing extension has single-handedly allowed me to make over $20k this year selling a WordPress plugin, and the Recurring Payments (Subscriptions) extension will likely help that number grow tremendously in the years to come.
ConsI can only think of two rather small negative experiences I've had. Their support response time is a little longer than what I'd ultimately prefer. Because of the nature of the plugin, it is a crucial part of my business. Sales don't stop on weekends, and if there are any issues, one or two days with a critical issue could be costly to my business. I still haven't had to wait more than 36 hours for a response, so it's not terrible. And the responses I have received have been thorough and helpful. And while their documentation is extensive (it has to be to cover all the extensions they have), it is somewhat outdated, and could use some refinements.
Charlie L.
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
September 30, 2019

“Solid choice for selling digital downloads”

OverallWe use EDD to power our online store selling WordPress themes, and have done so for several years now. Overall we are happy with EDD despite some hiccups along the way and have never seriously considered switching.
ProsHas been out on the wild for years now so is pretty battle-tested. A lot of the bugs have been ironed out. Is totally focussed on digital downloads which simplifies everything. Has a lot of options and there are a whole load of extensions out there so you can do pretty much whatever you with it - everything from sell a single download to setup a whole marketplace with vendors.
ConsMajor updates can be a bit slow. The pricing was updated a while ago to be significantly more expensive. Customer support not always the fastest but usually gets there in the end.
Scott B.
Owner/Lead Web Strategist
Computer Software, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“The most reliable way to sell digital goods securely”

ProsSelling anything takes tons of work, but EDD takes care of a lot of heavy lifting. Rather than building your own eCommerce store from scratch (which means working with credit card merchant processor APIs, securing checkout information, generating unique download access tokens, etc), building on top of EDD gives you an immediate head start. I've used other WordPress-based platforms, but always found EDD to be the most customizable. To top it off, the team behind it knows what they're doing and care about their customers.
ConsAs with any WordPress software, in the end of the day you are responsible for the maintenance and making sure nothing breaks. Thankfully the EDD team has always shown that they care about backwards compatibility, testing their updates, and providing good support if needed.
Jim K.
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
July 29, 2019

“Easy, quality and support are the reasons to to license Easy Digital Downloads”

OverallOf the few times I have contacted support, our rep has gone above and beyond normal help. I had a conflict with one site, and he wrote a plugin to fix the incompatibility. Our rep rocks!
ProsEase of use. Easy to install. Easy to maintain.
ConsSome extensions lack desired functionality.
William H.
General Manager

“Best decision I made”

OverallAlways responsive and willing to help.
ProsIt's easy to use and implement. You can customize basically every aspect to fit your business.
ConsI struggled to keep my data when pushing my staging site live.
Internet, 1-10 employees
April 26, 2019

“Does what you want it to - right out of the box”

OverallOne other thing that I really appreciate about EDD is the support. So I had a few questions and contacted support a few different times. Their answers to me didn't make me want to set my laptop on fire. We all know customer support that might fill up some pixels with words and such but actually not answer the question. Or make assumptions. With the folks at EDD I got quick responses that were helpful and actionable. It's been more than 1 year since I last contacted them but I remember well how much I liked interacting with them because THEY DIDN'T WASTE MY TIME. For that reason alone you should pull the trigger and use Easy Digital Downloads if it makes sense to your own website's goals.
ProsI've used the free version of EDD for a couple of clients, and it worked perfectly. A new client wanted more functionality and rather than code something myself, I used their free downloads addon (which isn't free, and I know! The name is confusing!) so that the client could have a record of who was downloading various files available on their website. This remains the first and only premium plugin to work so intuitively, easily, that I didn't have to clog up my computer with screenshots so that I could show the client how to use it. Simple and elegant.
ConsThe only issue I had is so minor it should not be an impediment to anyone thinking about getting their own copy of the plugin. It's that this free downloads addon has / had it set up on the admin panel "Customer and product" as if the interaction were a purchasing one. A little confusing to my client, an NGO type of organization with no e-commerce on their website.
Dominique S.
Transcriptionist
Translation and Localization, Self-employed
July 31, 2019

“ EDD is helpful for freelance but overpriced”

OverallI feel stuck purchasing it for my freelance services but am being overpriced.
ProsI use EDD because I am a transcriptionist and operate a transcription service through my wordpress app. I found this to be more applicable than woocommerce for my particular situation.
ConsThe pricing is outrageous especially to add of simple features. The high-cost extra features are crazy over priced. It doesn't function with other plugins and basic wordpress features as well as woocommerce does.
July 31, 2019
Carrie D.
E-Learning, Self-employed
October 1, 2019

“A straightforward setup with lots of integration options”

OverallOn the occasions when I've needed help, I've consistently found the email support to be prompt and effective. I'm very happy with the product and with CSR and his team!
ProsI've used EDD for 5 or 6 years across multiple personal projects and have used it when building e-commerce websites for clients, too. I like the ease of setup and that there are numerous integrations available for payment gateways, affiliate programs, email marketing services, and more.
ConsI don't really have any complaints. Getting started costs can be expensive but in the context of annual cost required to facilitate sales in my business, the cost is quickly recouped.
October 1, 2019
James H.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
July 29, 2019

“Best WordPress Plug-in to Deliver Digital Products”

OverallEasy to use and to integrate in to any WordPress website.
ProsIt is easy to setup and use. Easy Digital Download solved our need for customers to be able to download our software after purchasing. Customer sales information available with a few clicks. We can offer discount codes, track downloads and more... Great piece of software..
ConsAll of the additional extensions you must buy even for some simple functions . Some seems a bit pricey.
Rick P.
September 12, 2019

“The go-to WordPress ecommerce solution for sales and distribution of digital products”

OverallThere aren't a lot of choices in this space so we're kind of stuck with EDD. It works. It does a lot of you're willing to pony up. I'm just not impressed with the backend at all anymore. It's powerful but couldn't it be a little friendlier?
ProsCreating a download using Easy Digital Downloads for WordPress is in fact easy to do. Add a download, set a price, limit stock, add tags and categories if desired, hit publish. There it is. However, see below. The free version does allow two payment gateways: PayPal basic and Amazon Payments. Any site owner other than a hobbyist will want to upgrade. There are a myriad of integrations and extension for making EDD more powerful and lots of support from dozens of companies. EDD is the standard are there are no lack of solutions.
ConsI've yet to have a client who understood the relationship between the set up on the backend and the results on the frontend. Most can create downloads and then wonder, well, now what? The Now What? is definitely for WordPress pros because the plugin, curiously, has no onboarding of any kind, no tooltips, no inline documentation. It's kind of up to the user to figure out WTH is going on. Such as, how does anyone buy anything? This confusion is good for WP implementers like me but it seems a little primitive considering some of the sophisticated onboarding systems plugin authors have been able to build recently. Also, all the extensions and their interactions can get confusing. And very expensive. The Personal Pass, the cheapest subscription, is not cheap.
September 12, 2019
Kevin M.
Music, 1-10 employees
July 29, 2019

“A 10+ Year Old Digital Goods Store Gets An Update To The Modern Era”

OverallWhen our 10+ year old digital e-commerce store needed an update to the modern era, EDD made the e-commerce part of the transition as easy as possible. It was great to be able to develop on WordPress knowing the checkout and file delivery system would be taken care of reliably, and that there would be well-developed extensions available for adding important features easily.
ProsAbility to develop custom features and layouts on top of the base e-commerce software
ConsCart Recovery extension didn't work well at the time it was available.
Nicole D.
Media Production, Self-employed
September 9, 2019

“The Best for Digital Content”

OverallOverall my experience has been great and my shop has been thriving.
ProsSpeed and simplicity . My website is much fast with EDD than it was with woocommerce, which I used for about 2 years before switching. It's also so simple, customers dont need to full out a ton of info for a download. Because of the speed and simplicity my sales doubled the month I switched to EDD.
ConsIt's a bit tricky to make customizations to your shop page if you're using a theme that's not built with an EDD stylesheet included and you don't have any coding knowledge. I couldn't find a plugin to do what I wanted with the shop appearance so I had to create a file in my theme and code it myself.
September 9, 2019
Melanie M.
Designer
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees

“Nothing Else Compares!”

OverallI long that I can create an entire store online and have it do all of the work for me with very little effort. It takes care of all of the backend stuff and lets me and my team focus on creating and designing our logos that we create for sale on our site. All of the downloads, invoicing and sales are all seamlessly handed with ease by EDD!!
ProsSo easy to use and so easy to setup. I like that is was so easy to start using right away and customize to my personal needs and preferences. You don't need to no any coding or programming it's so user friendly!
ConsNothing, I love everything about EDD. Keep up the excellent work!
Phill H.
Internet, 1-10 employees
April 27, 2019

“The Only Solution For Digital Product Selling”

OverallIt works just how you'd expect it to, and with very little effort. The hardest bit was finding the shortcodes to setup a members area. But other than this one area, everything is just as good as you could expect.
ProsSo easy to use. Unlike WooCommerce, EDD doesn't sell you extensions that appear to come from WooCommerce directly but turn out to be from 3rd parties. Likewise, EDD actually does what it says it will and it does it quickly and easily. WooCommerce on the other hand gets you to buy numerous extensions only for you to find out that you can't actually sell a subscription pass for subscription based products. With EDD every combination is possible with very little work required.
ConsIt's a little bit expensive for a new store.
Kathy P.
Business Coach & Consultant
Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees
July 29, 2019

“Makes Selling From Your Website Easy!”

OverallI use EDD for my free download gifts, but also to sell reports, guides, and consulting sessions
ProsIt's very easy to use, even for beginners & non techs
ConsI wish it would provide options for selling a service ( i.e. book an appt)
Zack V.
Internet, Self-employed

“Great Product”

OverallI sell digital products, WordPress themes, and it works very well
ProsIt's very easy to use and offer a lot of needed functionality
ConsThe reporting can be improved but I've seen that's coming in EDD 3.0
Sampath S.
Store owner
April 27, 2019

“Best WordPress plugin to sell digital products ”

OverallI have been using EDD for last 5 years for my online stores which sells templates. I still do not find a better alternative :) Their support team is amazing. Sometimes the plugin owner him self reply when a question is asked.
ProsEasy to setup No maintenance issues Free version offer most of the features a typical online store wants Fast and friendly support from the developers
ConsNot many free third party extensions available Official extensions are expensive
Ioannis C.
Internet, Self-employed
August 30, 2019

“The best for digital products”

OverallWooCommerce was too much of an overkill just for digital products. So, EDD was one of the choices considered and after some testing it turned to be the better choice.
Pros- Easy to setup and configure. - Works with WPML. - Works with Divi. - Small footprint.
Cons- Need to buy plugins to extend it. - Free plugins very limited.
Peg P.
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“Straightforward eCommerce solution for digital goods”

OverallThis ha been so smooth I've never considered switching to a competitor.
ProsEasy to install. Assistance and hints simple to understand. Most common payment methods implemented. Provides ability to easily create a test environment and switch over when ready for production.
ConsDoesn't track free downloads - have to be dealt with separately.
David D.
Executive Director
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial

“Simplifies Online Sales”

ProsLove the ease of use, the many available extensions.
ConsI haven't really discovered anything yet that I have issues with.
Raj T.
Self
Airlines/Aviation, Self-employed
August 1, 2019

“Great group of products for developers”

ProsThe best part about EDD is the ecosystem - the fact that it offers tonnes of integrations and everything just works internally!
ConsPricing could be a little steep, but since there's always some revenue from selling digital products, it does make up for it.
August 1, 2019
Jennifer b.
Web Master
Consumer Goods, Self-employed
May 5, 2019

“Best software for selling digital goods”

OverallI have been able to feature products by categories and showcase all products in a brilliant matter
ProsEasy to use and has great free plugins to optimize your online store to feature your products so customers will have an easy search for products
ConsA must have plugin product reviews is a paid extention and a little pricey
May 5, 2019
Adam S.
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
April 17, 2019

“Best in Class!”

Overallwhen I had a question could not have been more seamless fix. I opened a ticket and got feedback promptly. Additionally, they suggested another way of resolving my issue that I didn't even consider.
ProsIn the past trying to figure out how to set things up to sell online seemed to take forever! EDD makes it really and I mean really simple. They have literally thought of everything!
ConsWhat's not to like? :) The software/plugin works as described and has helped me sell my ebook!
April 17, 2019
Brant C.
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees
August 29, 2019

“Awesome, love it”

OverallI've used it on many projects and always love when I get to use it. Beats Woocommerce!
ProsEDD is easy and straightoforward to use, the code is clean and there are tons of options for developers to customize it
ConsI honestly couldn't think of anything I would change about it. Does the job perfectly in my opinion!
August 29, 2019
Ibezim c.
Administrator
Newspapers, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“Easy digital download is just the best for me”

ProsIt's very very light weight. It's just too easy to use.
ConsIt's basic. Not much fun for tech geeks and developers
Md Afzal H.
COO
Design, 11-50 employees
August 30, 2019

“The best digital download seller plugin ever i used ”

Pros1) easy to use 2) easy to upload product and eit 3) details report
Cons1) there are not much free plugins for easy digital downloads as woocommerce
Jesus V.
Web Designer
Online Media, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“Great plugin for digital goods”

ProsHere are what I consider are the pros: -Easy to use -Inexpensive -Extendable
ConsThis is a mostly complete software without any cons in my opinion