Sigma Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Sigma

Sigma is a modern business intelligence (BI) and analytics application built for the cloud. Trusted by data-first companies, Sigma provides live access to cloud data warehouses using an intuitive spreadsheet interface empowering business experts to ask more of their data without writing a single line of code. With the full power of SQL, the cloud, and a familiar interface, business users have the freedom to analyze data in real time without limits. Sigma is self-service analytics as it was meant Learn more about Sigma

Sam J.
Senior Product Manager
June 27, 2019

“Incredibly Useful Tool for data analysis and workflow”

ProsThe speed with which I'm able to pull together disparate data and generate some useful insights. The Dashboard functionality has been particularly useful in creating reporting our teams can use with customers and prospects.
ConsVersion management and permissions. It's hard to keep everyone looking at the same version of a document, to view data, a document is created and generically named, so our folder system is getting very full and hard to navigate. Additionally, there's no way to tell if another user will be able to see a given document without asking them to try viewing it, and there's no way for them to request view access to that document.
Tania R.
Software Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
June 26, 2019

“Using Sigma as a Software developer”

OverallI think is a nice tool, is easy to use and it's fast. You can load your data and start analyzing it very fast, also, it's a nice tool for non technical users, but when I need more features or power I rather to use Data Studio
ProsIs an easy to use software, I liked that it's very fast, I don't have to wait to start seeing the data
ConsIt needs more features, specially to migrate the worksheets to different environments, also it has a very limited number of functions. Sometimes the error messages are not very descriptives, so we can't know what's happening or how to solve it (we had a worksheet with an error like: "the joins are not efficient", something like that, so that message was kind of useless)
Scott S.
Business Analyst
Sports, 51-200 employees
June 27, 2019

“Sigma - making SQL a visual effort”

OverallIt has been great. The tool fit very naturally into my companies data flow and getting _explorable_ data into stakeholders hands. We also have a more static dashboarding tool that excels at that, but is weak for exploration. Sigma also makes my job as an analyst easier by making data sets explorable using point-n-click tools vs code
ProsMakes 'easy' queries very easy to work on and see results visually immediately. Natural way to think about grouping objects but still showing the 'row' level data is amazing and a huge selling point on getting non data people to use the sheets shared with them. Makes the mental structuring of large undertakings choppable into smaller to-do's and then joining sheets together
ConsExpanding on my point in my pro's about chunking down large undertakings to smaller conceptual efforts per sheet.... this is not very performant. I have two projects where I create a base sheet and then have 2-6 sheets built off of it before potentially joining them back together to combine the aspects I've added. This however, results in the base sheet/query being run numerous times and is often times a time consuming query to begin with. In a code based environment this could be made more performant by using a WITH statement so it only has to execute once and can then be used multiple times Joins have to be exact matches (no date comparison) and can only be on original columns from the data source. Therefore, if a column must be switched from integer to string, you have to create a reference to the sheet before being able to join to other tables.
Mia O.
Business Intelligence Manager
Automotive, 51-200 employees
June 26, 2019

“Turns non-technical business users into data power users”

OverallStellar overall experience. The Sigma team makes a massive effort to truly understand and design around customer needs and use cases, as well as to provide hands-down the best customer support and training I have ever received from a B2B vendor, period.
ProsThe ability to connect to any data number of data sources across our enterprise data warehouse to extract useful insights for my team. Without a line of coding I can report, analyze, and visualize data from our CRM, IoT data streams, 3rd party APIs, and now .csv uploads. The full access is balanced by perfect row-level security controls so I can use the same system to power data dashboards and portals for internal teams as I do for external clients.
ConsThe upside of being able to access ALL data streams leads to a downside -- it can take a long time to process and load information. However I look forward to data materialization features in the works which will eliminate this problem.
Sean P.
Manager, Data Insights
Computer Software, 201-500 employees

“Revolutionary Data Tool”

OverallThe most significant impact of Sigma has been exposing data to so many people around the business who would otherwise have had to go through the data team bottleneck, both slowing their access to data and limiting the explorability and agility of the results. However, this can be accomplished in a controlled manner with Sigma, ensuring that stakeholders only have access to vetted sources of truth procured by the data team.
Pros- ability to explore and inspect the source data and perform sophisticated SQL functions via GUI (group, join, aggregate, etc.) - ability to create single source of truth worksheets and build all related content off of that, instead of reinventing the wheel with every new query - unlimited reader accounts allows usage to really take off and flourish instead of hamstringing itself
Cons- pricing still unclear as to what constitutes an author vs a reader - based on recent conversations with Sigma I'm afraid that we are going to be upcharged on items that were never made clear to us (I am still unclear) - new software still has its share of bugs
Shawn H.
Data and Strategy Analyst
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
June 26, 2019

“Sigma shaved 5 hours off my monthly reporting”

OverallWhile Sigma could be great for a lot of use cases, there is one in particular that I use it for. Every month I have a summary report that I have to put together. I used to run multiple database queries, dump the data out into Excel, do some manual sorting and manipulation of the data, and then build out pivot tables so that I could see trends month over month. Sigma takes care of all of the data fetching, formatting, and styling for me (and lets me do it in a way that turns out better than I had in Excel). Doing the reports this way, now saves me about 5 hours a month off of that monthly report that I was doing, which means that I have more time for data exploration, and spend less time with data garbage collection.
ProsI love the ability to build out extra columns in my data visually, which lets me build pivot tables that I cannot even replicate in Excel. Having built out tables once, I can reuse them again and again with fresh data without having to pull and manually re-translate everything like I used to do. Having the ability to change the type of data in a column to a new structure saves me a lot of time. Extracting JSON from my tables is a snap!
ConsWhile the documentation is good, I wish there was a little better messaging around error handling. Sigma formatting is slightly different from the PostgreSQL that I am used to. I wish that there was a little more visual punch to the charts I can make.
Luke B.
Managing Partner
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
July 18, 2019

“Excel for your data warehouse”

OverallI help B2B SaaS startup founders and CMOs with their customer data platforms and reporting. The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great. One of my clients uses Sigma and I've been extremely impressed at how easy and quickly it is to build reports on multiple tables of data without writing any complex SQL. For example, sessionization of page view and event time series data is a complex SQL query which can be performed within a few minutes in Sigma without any knowledge of SQL. It's a great tool for business users.
ProsI' m very impressed at Sigma's ease of use for building reports from my clients data warehouse running on Snowflake. If you can use Excel, and understand the data in your database you can be up and running extremely quickly without having to write SQL queries or any code to describe your database. The ability to create additional columns on your data containing custom formulas and the ability to sort and filter on multiple columns is great.
ConsAs with any tool there is a learning curve to the interface, but since it's similar to a spreadsheet, it's quick to learn. Theres no feature yet to save custom formulas to be used across worksheets so you'll have to copy and paste them for now.
Leon K.
Director of Product
July 3, 2019

“A useful tool for specific problems”

OverallMonthly compliance reporting handoff to non-technical individuals.
ProsFor someone who is not particularly tech savvy, Sigma is a great way to take SQL queries written by someone who is, and then be able to modify the data in real time using the sort of functionality we're all used to via Excel. Sigma also is easy to export data from, and the scheduling functionality is quite useful for recurring reports.
ConsBecause Sigma has to re-pull data every time you open a sheet, it is incredibly slow. Certain reports can take multiple minutes to load, and once any filters are applies, it has to re-pull the report, causing those minutes to be lost again. Because of this, it's often easier to just download all the data and then do the filtering/etc in excel/google sheets.
martha q.
drop ship manager

“positively mixed feelings”

OverallOverall I have access to more than our previous reporting system, which is a positive. However, as self serve as it is I wish connecting tables and validating was more straightforward as a user.
ProsI like how customizable it is. From a good basic report I can move things around to suit my needs. In addition it has many options for how to export, which is great as I use excel for more complex files & google sheets for collaborating & sharing findings.
ConsLoad times to get to a report or filter can be killer for some reports that pull from many data sources, and have large amounts of information. The permissions are a bit annoying when a report is created for me by an admin, but I am the report owner (as it was made for my department), but I can't make my own changes (w/o admin privlidges) and archive the main one. In these cases, I have to request the admin to make the changes, or make a copy and publish my own report and again contact the admin to delete or move the report so that mine is the one the team goes to first.
Juan T.
Om
Logistics and Supply Chain, 501-1000 employees
September 28, 2019

“Review ”

ProsGreat charts, filters and databases, easy to use and learn
ConsLayout and colors, not nice or fancy first experience
September 28, 2019
Austin H.
Manager, Engineering Operations
Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees
August 6, 2019

“Great Product”

ProsEase of use and visibility is great! Love the data that we are able to pull and how easy the interface is to use.
ConsThere are a few features that I would love to see added. Mainly that when you are working with large data sets, it can be hard on the system and lead to slow processing time.
August 6, 2019
Michell B.
Product Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees
July 18, 2019

“Good price, needs more features”

OverallThis has been a net positive for our org.
ProsSigma allows viewers for free, even viewers from outside your organization.
ConsThe dashboard feature is not fully built out - many features seem to be missing. For example, I can't put percents on a pie chart.
Jen D.
Director of Merchandise Operations

“It works!”

OverallI use Sigma to manage inventory company wide across the country and it's easy to see where things are and when.
Proseasy to see all info in one place, for multiple needs
ConsI have no complaints about anything sigma. but we also have someone who was able to walk me through how to create different reports at my workplace
Kevin K.
Product Manager
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
June 26, 2019

“Great analytics product, easy to set up and use”

ProsAwesome team behind the product, always responsive and helpful. They've taught me a lot not only about their tool but also about data analytics.
ConsSome UI elements could be improved, but once you know where to find certain things you'll pick it up.
Yuting K.
Data Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
July 18, 2019

“Good BI for basic data visualization”

Pros1. excel like so it's easy to pick up 2. can connect to the live database and without writing SQL query 3. can share the worksheet and schedule to send out the worksheet via email
Cons1. it's not easy to use if you want to do a complicated report: once you aggregate multiple worksheets / refer other worksheet and apply multiple filters, it's hard to verify your result and make it in the correct format. 2. the articles to discuss the Sigma features or best practice are not comprehensive.
Sean A.
General Manager

“Sigma Daily Use”

ProsIt was easy to store data and share with partners.
ConsThe user dash is a bit basic. It would be great to see a wider variety of tools and functions.
Eric K.
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
June 26, 2019

“Good platform with potential”

OverallI like the trajectory the company is heading, and would recommend depending on fit to objective.
ProsSigma is a dynamic and agile system, helping us remove the use of Excel for day-to-day calculations. Their team is supportive and hands-on, which is probably the best part of the company.
ConsStill very basic and could stand to invest further into UI.
Wallace S.
Sr. Data Warehouse Engineer
Real Estate, 51-200 employees
July 7, 2019

“Solid BI Tool to use for Enterprise Analytics”

OverallThe customer support has been very nice and prompt. The product has even evolved with ideas that we have asked for. The overall product and development team is very receptive and responsive to customer needs.
ProsThe ease of hook up to my database. Ease of report building. Use of functions and how it can interpret dates.
ConsDashboard to dashboard they cannot communicate and dashboards have a little different functionality than worksheets. Sigma is still very young in age and I am sure things will change.
July 7, 2019
Frank P.
Customer Success Manager
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
July 18, 2019

“Increase the visibility of your data across teams and find your own answer to data questions”

OverallI am slowly getting up to speed with Sigma but can see already that as I commit to it we will greatly increase the speed at which my team can answer questions we have regarding all of the data we are collecting. There will be a day where I will no longer have a need for Excel and Google Sheets.
ProsReally like the ease of being able to expose our data across teams and allow each individual user to be able to answer the questions they have with the tools supplied, grouping and filters being two of the easiest and most useful for me.
ConsUp to the this point the visualizations aka charts have been difficult for me to create, but I will admit I haven't committed to taking a deep dive into learning. Also would like to be able to annotate from within a report (eg. cell) rather than at the top level within the description.
Caroline M.
CSM
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
July 3, 2019

“Sigma for Usage Reports”

OverallWe are using sigma to pull usage data from our customer base. We rely heavily on this data in order to measure the value that the customers are getting from Yesware, identify churn risks and areas for adoption. Without Sigma, I would not be able to do my job to the best of my ability.
ProsAccess directly from the browser, quickly pulls the results I need
ConsSometimes it is difficult to sift through the different dashboards - this could be an internal issue
Heather C.
Content Marketing Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
June 27, 2019

“Great for comprehensive reporting”

ProsAs a marketer, Sigma is an incredibly valuable tool that allows my team to aggregate data to inform our decisions and scale up. I like the ability to drill app activity down to the user level in order to identify trends and specific user behaviors.
ConsIt can be very overwhelming! Not instantly intuitive but not hard to learn either. My biggest complaint is that it was often very slow.
Marissa C.
Merchant
Retail, 11-50 employees

“Sigma Review”

OverallI use sigma multiple times a day, 5 days a week and with the exception of a few internal tweaks, I am generally happy with the program.
ProsEasy exporting into excel, formula customization, overall data customization, saving personal reports
ConsDragging and dropping columns in the sidebar isn't the most efficient. Also, the loading time when changing filters is so long! I find myself exporting the data dump into excel for easier and faster use. Also the constant formula adjusting to achieve the correct data - I've been using the program for about 6 months and reporting isn't 100% yet.
Blake T.
Operations Supervisor
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees
July 3, 2019

“A vast improvement over our previous product”

OverallUsing Sigma as a tool to prioritize asset service and inspection has been a game changer. Much better visualization tools than the competitor's product we previously used.
ProsIt is much faster and easier to read than our old reporting software
ConsI would like the ability to modify the sort on the fly. Currently an admin has to adjust it, if it is needed
Ashlie R.
Customer Service Manager
July 3, 2019

“I appreciate the customization options.”

OverallMy overall experience has been positive, there is definitely a learning cure for the non-analytical.
ProsI appreciate being able to start with a report created by our analytics team and tweak it to suit my department's needs.
ConsThe filters can sometimes be confusing until you get the hang of how the software thinks.
Betsy W.
Customer Success Manager

“Great Potential”

OverallWe're starting to think of problems we can solve, but having disorganization in your company's data doesn't make it easier.
ProsThe ease of combining data sets and manipulating data in a way that makes sense to me.
ConsIt's not super user-friendly. I don't have a ton of experience with SQL and I feel like I am limited.
Nathan C.
Strategy & Planning, Project Manager
July 18, 2019

“Very Convenient Software to Use but have found less use for it as we've matured as a company”

OverallI used Sigma very often when I joined Lime in October through early 2019. However, I learned how to use SQL and was more flexibly able to use Snowflake. Going to Snowflake gave me more flexibility. So I moved away from Sigma
ProsThe software is very powerful allowing me to do things I couldn't have given my previous lack of SQL It made sharing queries in a useable way easy
ConsGiven that we constantly updated underlying queries, version control of various worksheets was hard. Also, sometimes Sigma was slow as I think the query ran everytime a manipulation happened
Kevin T.
Senior Financial Analyst

“Sigma Review”

ProsEasy to navigate, can easily filter the report
ConsAs a user, data integrity is questionable since there is no clear way to know if the source of the data is accurate
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1001-5000 employees
June 26, 2019

“Easy use for non-SQL experts”

Overall- Easy to use - Easy to learn - Great for non-SQL writter
ProsI work for tech companies and one of my main challenges was always not beign able to write my own queries. It was veyr useful to be able to create Joins more viasually without actually writting the script. This allowed to created my own results without depending on other.
ConsAlthough this is not my feedback (since most of my experience with sigma was SUPER positive), my compnay says it's quite high (cost) for the benefit
Chen G.
Associate Business Analyst

“solid product”

Prosconstant update and improve; great online support and customer service.
Consthe navigation bar needs improvement, too many clicks every time.
Arnav S.
Analyst
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees
July 11, 2019

“sigma stress”

Pros- Ease of use for individuals who aren't very familiar with databases
Cons- Loading times - Mapping customizability
July 11, 2019
Emma M.
Email and Digital Marketing Manager
Retail, 11-50 employees

“Good product”

ProsAbility to connect to multiply databases
ConsNot enough flexibility to edit tables like excel
Lauren M.
Senior Assistant Buyer

“Sigma Computing Review”

Overallit's been ok, better than the system i was using before but certainly not the best i have used.
ProsThe options are nice to have. We also have been able to compute what we need from the report.
ConsIt is the slowest thing on the face of the earth
adya s.
buyer
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
July 2, 2019

“Review”

OverallIt is a good software but would be so much better if loading time could be reduced
ProsDifferent custom filters that can be built in, personalization
ConsLoading time- makes the process very hard- refreshing the grid takes forever
July 2, 2019
Courtney M.
Strategic Account Manager
Internet, 51-200 employees
June 28, 2019

“Basic Reporting Tool”

ProsI like that I can pull my customer's usage with ease
ConsI think this is mostly how our account is set up - like we haven't invested that much time to set it up but wish there were graphics pulling the data together.
June 28, 2019
Laura M.
Public Affairs Manager
Public Policy, 501-1000 employees
July 5, 2019

“As a non-data team member, I find Sigma navigable and intuitive”

OverallGreat for a non-data team member accessing and pulling reports.
ProsPulling reports is easy, there are plenty of filters, and I can usually find what I need pretty quickly.
ConsHaven't looked around enough to find challenges, but maybe more learning opps in app would help that.
July 5, 2019
Allen H.
Supply Chain Manager
September 6, 2019

“Sigma review”

ProsConnection to Snowflake, good UI, can make adjustments / calculations to columns
ConsFunctionality is not as robust as I'd like (e.g. lacking some charting capaciblities)
September 6, 2019
Andrew B.
Product manager
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees

“Easily data management”

ProsIt was extremely easy for someone with no data experience to start using the product.
ConsThe visualization features were lacking
Automotive, 51-200 employees
June 29, 2019

“Easy but limiting ”

OverallCross functional reporting
ProsLike the fact anyone non technical can use the software
ConsIt's limiting in terms of how you can analyse the data.
June 29, 2019
Sarah B.
Transportation Options Supervisor
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
July 26, 2019

“A user perspective”

OverallMeh. Not enough customization for users to really be useful.
ProsI appreciate having real-time access to the data.
ConsI want more customization- quite often I'd like to manipulate the reports through the platform to show different data subsets or to change the cross-tabs, but I can only review what others have already set up for me. You can't anticipate in advance what kind of reports you will need in the future - best to have the flexibility to create data visualizations on the fly.
July 26, 2019
Heidi Y.
PM
Internet, 201-500 employees

“Great intuitive UI ”

OverallSigma is excellent for people need to analyze huge amount data and still have the capability to get the job done quickly like you using pivot table in Excel.
ProsVery intuitive UI interface, especially for people used to excel and not familiar with SQL.
Consjoining tables seems to be not working very well for me.
Kelly F.
Sales
Computer Software, 51-200 employees

“Sigma”

ProsThe data that it contained, ability to export to CSV
ConsAs a sales guy-rather than a tech-heavy role-I found it to be cumbersome and unfamiliar. I've simply used Sigma as a way to download important data so I can bring it into Excel.