Square Virtual Terminal Ratings

Overall

About Square Virtual Terminal

Accept every way your customers want to pay with Square Payments. Get a free magstripe reader to swipe credit cards anywhere. Take chip cards and NFC payments with Square Reader for contactless and chip. With Square's credit card processing, you can accept all major cards and get deposits as fast as the next business day. We offer chargeback protection, fraud detection, account takeover protection, and more, so you can focus on your customers. Its free to sign up and fast to get set up. Learn more about Square Virtual Terminal

Cornelia V.
Cosmetics, 1-10 employees
September 19, 2019

“The best in the town ( market )”

OverallVery easy and have access to lots of account futures and perks. We have dedicated Android device that work perfect. Very happy with Square POS.
ProsWe are using this software probably 4 years now, without any any problem. During the time we use different devices and works 100%, without any glitch. Square support was helping us few times to make the tings right and we are very happy in their professionalism and security of all the system. Ohh, yea on this days the security is very important in any business when you work with Credit Cards and money. They are on the top of the game. We try few times other merchants to reduce the fees, but get back to Square for the great service and support.
ConsNot real any, If the swap fees would be little lower than 2.75% probably will be great. But hay! prefer service and security first. Very important for our clients and us.
September 19, 2019
Hank P.
consultant / owner
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
September 3, 2019

“Square - great for small businesses, and not just retail!”

OverallOverall, I love Square. The ability to receive payment from practically anywhere at any time is HUGE for a small business owner. My ability to set up my clients in the address book and add their card on file saves a ton of time. I also like that only the last 4 of their credit card shows up. I do not want the burden of having all that info on file.
ProsSquare is a great solution to a small business who wants to ensure they can be paid easily, regularly and without burdening their clients. I use it to receive monthly payment for my services for about 30 of my clients and it makes my life and my clients lives easier. Yes, you pay a processing fee, but it is competitive and well worth that small fee to ensure that I get paid. Plus, it only takes me a few minutes to receive payment from all those clients.
ConsThere are some elements of Square that are not as intuitive as they could be. Setting up a clients card on file can be tricky at times, especially if you use the web browser vs. the app. In general, use the app for EVERYTHING you do and you'll be fine. The other issue I have sometimes is the checkout process. That times a bit of time to get used to and can feel clunky. This should be easier and I believe that Square will do their part to make the updates in time. The final thing, and this is something that may not impact many people, but I use my headphones a lot. I have to be sure to remember to unplug/disconnect them before opening the Square app. If not, it thinks my headphones are the card reader and hits me with a very loud, old school fax machine connection type sound. A painful experience!
Adeoye A.
CFO
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
September 3, 2019

“Easy on the go Processor”

OverallI really liked Square. It was very easy to use and made things more efficient. Anything I needed to look up took less than a minute to find. I only needed to contact customer service once and they answered almost immediately. It was very new to us, but I don't ever remembering struggling trying to find things. I also really liked that is was online based. A lot of things we used was based off of our server, so you had to be in the office to use it. Square gave us the ability to be able to look up transactions no matter where we were.
ProsI really liked how easy it was to use and implement. We badly needed to have a way to start accepting debit and credit cards. Square helped make that transition easy. We were able to not only take electronic payments in the Finance office, but the Police station as well. It was very easy to use so even teaching people how to use the software was relatively easy. Also you could figure out things easily by just playing around on the site.
ConsThe only thing I did not like was that there was no option to look at all the departments when it came to transactions and reports. So like if we had 3 departments I could not just look at all the transactions for the day throughout each department. I would have to click the individual department, get what I needed, then repeat it. It made things annoying because it would take a bit longer to record transactions from Square to our accounting software
Shannon H.
Graphic Designer
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees
August 27, 2019

“Grow your business quickly”

OverallSquare eliminated the need for costly card readers from a bank. The invoice feature allowed you to add clients and track when/if an invoice was paid. Overall, Square is an amazing product that is very versatile and a small business hero.
ProsSquare allows you to take secure payments anywhere. No start-up cost and low processing fees. They also offer a desktop 'register' that doesn't require any software to be installed. Square gave us a professional way to take sales in the field because it eliminates the need for cash payments and gives your customers ease-of-mind when dealing with a start-up. It also provides analytics so that you can track the amount of money you have made and compare that to sales during another time-period. The invoice to email feature was also a time-saver.
ConsThe pre-determined processing term for funds to be released. You could utilize the paid-for early processing feature but, as a start-up, this was often out of reach. We used this service to take deposits to order client-specific materials so this additional processing time made it difficult to plan projects on occasion.
August 27, 2019
Jay W.
COO
August 20, 2019

“Taking payment is a breeze with Square, and the integrations are great!”

OverallSuper easy to use, easy to process refunds and easy to see how you are doing (volume of business and sales averages) all due to some great reporting tools. We moved away simply because we thought we needed to find a real "business" processor -- turns out, Square is a legit business processor which zero mystery fees which makes it easier for us to predict revenue flow. Can be quite frustrating paying a high fee on the majority of your transactions, because the processor smacks you with the "reward card" designation on most transactions. Not an issue with Square, you see the rate and that is the rate you pay, no questions asked.
ProsWe have used many different payment solutions over the years. Most recently we have been using Authorize.net, and while they processed payments just fine, the system is super old and can be frustrating to use. Square is not so, rather they are super easy to use and grow with. Not having to jump through hoops each year to be recertified as PCI compliant (questionnaires and network scans on our end) is really a great bonus we never even knew about before temporarily moving away. We have obviously since moved back and cannot be happier.
ConsFor our photography studio, the biggest drawback was just the taking of the payments, it really didn't feel as professional as it could be when we had to use our phones for large client orders. That has since become an issue in the past as they have so many options now, including the new Square Terminal which we bought and love to death! So really, the biggest flaw we had, has been resolved.
August 20, 2019
Legal Services, 1-10 employees

“Definitely Reccomend”

OverallUnlike past credit card processing vendors, Square truly makes an effort to show its commitment to small businesses and independent contractors. Even in resolving chargebacks or disputes, Square makes it feel like they've got your back, and that they are doing all they can on your behalf. Past vendors have made it difficult for us to win chargeback disputes by not allowing adequate time to submit documentation or responses, requiring all dispute documents to be physically mailed, etc.
ProsSquare is very user-friendly both as a mobile app and desktop virtual terminal credit card processing provider. Although their processing fees and rates may not be the lowest, they also don't have hidden fees and mystery surcharges (i.e., higher rates for Visa or MC rewards/miles card transactions, etc.). Furthermore, users can easily access sales reports and/or have set up to be sent to an email address automatically at user-specified intervals. Data in the reporting section is easy to read and understand. Our employees are also able to access transactions receipts, issue refunds, and include additional notes or customer details that appear on a receipt or transaction record(s).
ConsCustomer Feedback feature is nice, but extremely limited in terms of utility and as a small business marketing tool. Ideally, Square customer feedback would be able to integrate with other reviews or ratings websites and platforms, such as Google for Business, Yelp, Wordpress, etc. I would love to see future updates to this feature that allow customer feedback to be published to external sites or pages like Facebook or Yelp. Virtual Terminal/online POS access for multiple users requires a subscription/pro plan, which is prohibitive for small mom-and-pop outfits like ours. Even if free accounts were allowed 2-3 additional user accounts, that would make a huge difference for internal LP and accountability tracking.
Lillian N.
January 23, 2019

“Finally a Payment Processing Solution without a major learning curve, fast and efficient, solid!”

OverallI believe that Square is the best payment processing solution for small business. The rates are minimal and there's no month to month charge. Square as a company does not send a lot of emails to my business inbox. They know I can go to their site if I have questions. I absolutely love how I can have charged funds in my account within seconds of pushing a button to automatically transfer those funds to my local bank account. Customers are able to review my company after the purchase! Square has become an accepted payment processing solution with my customers who are very comfortable using it. If they've purchased from other retailers who use Square, their send receipt info is automatic. The moment you press the button to conclude the sale, those customers automatically get receipts. Square goes one step further for those of us who do wholesale as well as retail. I take Square on my phone with me into my wholesale stores. I am able to fill shelves as needed and invoice accordingly on my square payment processing app under the invoicing option. I can select terms and send the invoice to the store owner immediately as an email. No more having to worry about doing invoices after the fact. You can create invoices on the fly with Square Payments Processing! Are you a small businessperson looking for a great payment processing solution? Square made my sales a lot easier. No fumbling around to wait on the software in front of a customer. Easy, fast, reliable!
ProsSquare is very easy to use! I am a soap and candlemaker who does a lot of farmers markets and shows and Square has made it very easy for me to accept credit cards on-the-go. For those who like to input inventory, you can do so at your laptop and simply select the products that customers are purchasing from your store or market stand shelves for ease of use. I prefer the option that lets me manually enter an amount. Tax is configured on a separate screen prior to usage. When entering in an amount to charge, the square app calculates the tax automatically. I really like the square payment processing wireless chip reader that allows me to accept credit cards that are chip enabled. Customers sign for their purchase and then indicate if they want to have a receipt sent to their email or their phone, an eco-friendly solution and a way my business cuts down on costs. I don't have to purchase receipt books! At the end of market, I push a button and the funds I charged are in my bank account within seconds!
ConsNothing. This is a win, win situation for small business!
January 23, 2019
Debbie F.
Owner-Teacher
Music, Self-employed
August 9, 2019

“I'm a Piano Teacher, Not an Accountant”

OverallI've been with Square for several years, since I started teaching piano as more of a full-time profession instead of a side hobby, and overall, I'm VERY happy with them! I'm not an accountant, nor do I want to spend lots of time on the admin/financial side of my business; Square has just enough customization options and report capabilities to keep this Creative happy. I know there are cheaper payment processors out there, but I really enjoy the ease of use that Square provides along with the brand recognizability.
ProsRecurring billing and automatic reminders, all the way!! Saves me so much time & energy in sending out invoices each month to my 30+ piano families. I'm not sure why I used to dread sending out invoices each month, as it means I'll get paid. But I very much dreaded it, and would drag my feet in sending invoices. With automatic recurring billing, I set it up once (very simple to do) and I don't have to think about it again, until I get the email confirmation that all the invoices have gone out. Then I think about it again when I'm notified that the invoices have been paid (the best!;).
ConsI SO wish I could set up and send invoices in bulk...just create a template, enter a list of email addresses, and hit send. It's not at all difficult to create and send invoices, just a little time consuming on the front end when each one has to be set up individually.
August 9, 2019
Hannah D.
Clerical Assistant
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
August 22, 2019

“Square will likely become the universal POS app”

OverallI really love square! I would recommend this to any business owner who wants to track their sales better and make improvements based upon those results.
ProsI LOVE square! I have been I user of this software for 3 or 4 years now at two different jobs and it has so many capabilities. I used this at a paddleboard shop and it did the trick but had way more capabilities than the business really needed. However, at the restaurant I worked at, this was everything we needed. It accepts all forms of payment (apple pay, google pay, android pay, tap-to-pay credit cards, all credit card brands if you choose, cash). The system for rining customers up takes a little while to get but after you do it is a breeze. This software is also very customizable. You can show products in a list, group them, add pictures to them, organize them how you want etc. By far the MOST thing in this system is the analytics/data piece. You can see how many of each product were sold in any particular time period, how that compares to other days/weeks, the best selling items...possibilities are endless.
ConsI really don't have much to complain about with this. I've had problems with the chip reader connecting in many cases, and you also have to make sure to have very reliable wifi or else the product will not process payments.
August 22, 2019
Crystal R.
Retail, 1-10 employees
February 23, 2019

“Accept Payments Online or In Person”

OverallI have been using Square since 2015. I like that I have a card reader I can plug into my phone or tablet using the phone jack. This enables me to take in person payments at craft shows that we occasionally do in the spring and summer months. In addition, I was able to set up Square to accept card payments on our website. In fact, I learned about the e-commerce platform that we utilize through a promotion from Square. I may not have learned about the platform without Square and that platform has exceeded our expectations. When I log into my account to view sales transactions on Square, I am greeted by a screen displaying a bunch of boxes. Each box contains different information I may need. Because of this, I can easily find and access the data I need. The interface is user friendly on both a desktop and mobile device. My only complaint with Square is that the inventory tracking feature seems to be faulty and has not properly integrated with my website. This results in multiple email alerts that my inventory is extremely low when in actuality it is not.
ProsI am able to use this software to accept credit and debit card payments on our website. I am also able to use this software to accept payments in person at craft shows. When logging in to my account to view sales transactions, I am able to find what I am looking for quickly due to the level of user friendliness.
ConsI was able to add the inventory information for the items we sell in our online store. However, every day I receive a message telling me that my inventory is a negative amount for each item. In spite, multiple times to correct this, the inventory levels still do not match what is actually available and listed on our website. I have tried deleting the inventory from Square to start over, however, the only option appears to be deleting each item individually. We have a couple thousand items, so this is not practical.
February 23, 2019
Dawn J.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
April 19, 2019

“I absolutely LOVE Square”

OverallOverall Square gets the job done in a timely manner and is a great software for processing credit card payments.
ProsSince we have technicians in 30 different city and states who perform road service on the side of the road we do not see our customers and our technicians do not deal with payments. Square has a machine where you can swipe customers credit cards, but for businesses in our predicament Square lets you go online and run a customers credit card by typing it in manually. We have the option to transfer it straight to our account right away or wait until it batches out at the end of the day. You will ned a zip code and CVC code for each transaction. You can send receipts to customers via email or straight to their cell phone as soon as you run their card. If you have a dispute with a company the process is pretty smooth. Allowing you to enter in information on your behalf of the work that was performed and adding pictures of credit card authorization forms, or pictures of the job being done as proof. It is pretty cool.
ConsI do not have any cons on this software as of yet...
April 19, 2019
MJ N.
Apparel & Fashion, Self-employed
August 29, 2019

“Must-have tool for my handmade business”

OverallI use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market AND for online sales via my online WooCommerce shop. I choose Square for the lower processing fees and because the point of sale app is so easy to use. The integration with WooCommerce generally works well with only a few glitches here and there. I definitely prefer my customers use Square versus PayPal. Much nice tracking and reporting with Square.
ProsI use the Square swiper to process sales at my local farmer's market -- always works. Very reliable! I also have Square integrated into my shop website (WooCommerce) to process purchases. Fairly easy to set up. Also like that the processing fee has remained low.
ConsThe WooCommerce-Square integration can be somewhat finicky at times. Probably about a 95% uptime rate -- but once in a while a transaction will not go through. Usually a quick reconnect but can be frustrating. Not sure if the issue is with Square or WooCommerce, though -- they blame each other. ;)
August 29, 2019
Lindsey A.
Convenient & Easy to Use
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
July 22, 2019

“Convenient & Easy to Use”

OverallOnsite payment. We have multiple employees using the system and I (the admin) can see the transactions immediately. It's been a great tool for us and has actually increased our revenue.
ProsWe use this to process payments from customers at their homes when we do home repairs, lawn care and maintenance. The best part of this system is that it allows us to upsell and offer a convenient solution for payments when homeowners dont have cash or dont want to write a check. It's easy to keeps track of sales and they are intuitive and easy to use.
ConsNo major problems is over 2 years of use.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
October 3, 2019

“Still the easiest, most transparent Merchant Services platform out there for invoice-driven business”

OverallWe got started using Square Inc. back in 2010 after we heard advertisement offers for free card readers. As a new business, it was important to us to appear legitimate, and to never give clients an excuse to not be able to pay us. In the time since, we've secured over $100,000 in capital from Square, processes nearly a million dollars in payments, and deployed Lord-knows how many invoices. I really can't fathom switching. Square rocks!
ProsWhere to begin? Competitive rates; workflows that are easy to understand and train on; over time, receiving capital offers which, if accepted, enable business growth; pretty good reporting system and very easy to templatize and automate the invoicing process.
ConsThere's nothing I don't like about Square per say. I will suggest that for recurring invoices I'd really like to see a way to filter by invoices that deploy at specific time increments e.g. monthly, weekly, quarterly, annually. For our business especially, certain service lines are invoiced for annually, while others are monthly and semi-monthly, so it'd be easier come A/R time if we could only view what's applicable.
Susan B.
Digital Business and Marketing Consultant
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
April 1, 2019

“Payment Processing for the Next Generation”

OverallLove it.
ProsAfter years of struggling with the frustration of dated 2008 virtual payment processing services, I finally made the switch to Square two years ago. I haven't looked back since. I don't have a brick and mortar store, nor do I have an online store, but for working with my clients I use Square for invoicing. My clients absolutely love it! So much so, that many of them have left the older payment granddaddy for the new kid on the block. Set-up your business information and you're all set. It has the usual deposit features (daily, instant, etc), and you can allow the system to automatically send reminders to your clients for overdue/unpaid invoices. Daily summary reports are available and sent to you via email as well. Integrate this with the Square Appointments system and you have an administrative system on the fly.
ConsIt's not quite as advanced as the granddaddy system, but they are quickly catching up - for example, Square recently added the ability to request a deposit on an invoice (a great feature for long term projects, design work, etc). And other new features seem to be rolling out regularly.
April 1, 2019
jessica t.
operations anlyst
Retail, 1001-5000 employees
March 21, 2019

“Easy+Quick Payment Processor”

OverallThe all in one solution for small businesses, it has everything you need to start and manage any type of payments in/out of your business.
ProsThe one thing I love most is Square's interface. They have big, beautiful buttons to click on that make the entire process seem effortless for you and your customer making the transaction. Another thing I love about Square is how fast your payments are processed, you'll wait a max of 2 days, and most of the time deposits are available within one day. When you first sign up with the app, they have a simple and quick checklist to help get you set up, this was great because it was an easy process that leads you to success. The app itself offers so many reports, and ways to track customers, appointments, employees, transactions, invoices, and so much more like loyalty, and marketing. There are so many things you can do with this simple but action packed Square payment processor. The best thing about Square is the ability to have a virtual terminal, meaning you can swipe cards from any computer and the ability to manually take payments. I also love the mini walk-through tutorial you can experience when first using the app, that way you're prepared to take your first payment. You can also scan barcodes with Square, which makes the checkout process very easy.
ConsSquare is perfect for small and medium businesses, but eventually if your business gets larger it will outgrow Square.
March 21, 2019
Lucy L.
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

“Love this product”

OverallWe have multiple users in our practice, each with their own account, so funds are easily kept separate. I cannot remember the last time i had to contact tech support but I have never had a problem with their customer service. All the information you need is on the mobile app and the dashboard online. I have used this product since 2010 and would never use another credit card system.
ProsThis software is very straight-forward and easy to use. There are no hidden costs or surprises in billing. Funds are direct-deposited within 24 hours of sales. All transactions are easy and seamless including refunds and invoicing. All types of credit, debit and HSA cards are accepted for the same fees.
ConsBecause it's so easy to use, most clients now pay with credit cards so the fees add up. There are no other problems that i am aware of.
Chris G.
Computer Networking, 1-10 employees
May 22, 2019

“Awesome for small bussiness”

OverallI use this often with customers who want to pay by credit card. I can send invoices by email and they can pay online too. I get my money quickly form Square and have never had an issue since I have been using them. I signed up almost as soon as they opened their doors.
ProsI love that I can take any type of credit card without the need for monthly fees or contracts.
ConsI don't like the fees but they are unavoidable. The fees Square charges are fair.
May 22, 2019
Peter G.
Owner/Manager
Fishery, 1-10 employees
March 16, 2019

“The Best Mobile Credit Card Machine”

OverallI have been able to not have to resort to someone sitting in front of a credit card processing machine in order to feed card numbers in and I am able to do this right on site which reduces my payroll significantly.
ProsWho wouldn't like the ease of mobile payment processing on the go? Square payments processing allows me to take control of payments out in the field from customers which allows more privacy for the customer to be able to process a payment onsite as opposed to asking for credit card numbers over the phone which puts the customer at great risk of identity theft. I also enjoy taking advantage of the fixed processing fees that square offers. They do not try and take a higher percentage for larger amounts rather charge a fixed 2.75% for swiped transactions which most of my business is. I would be lost without Square and that freedom that it offers my business.
ConsThe only thing I do not like about this software is that it does charge .15 for each keyed in transaction. Sometimes when a customer's card is worn and the only option is to manually enter a transaction.
March 16, 2019
Donna B.
October 15, 2019

“Square makes life easier....”

OverallSquare is becoming my all in one stop for my business, I'll be adding the web store soon too.
ProsI love using Square. I use the chip readers for sales on the go, never any issues. I like the features of reports, item library, customer tracking, makes my reporting a breeze!
ConsI honestly have no complaints, or have had any issues.
October 15, 2019
Scott F.
Director of IT
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 28, 2019

“My Favorite Processing Platform”

OverallSquare has an entire suite of merchant processing utilities that have taken a lot of hassle out of my everyday routine, and I am quite happy for it. Especially given that this all comes with NO monthly fee - only per transaction charges.
ProsThe new instant deposit feature is really, really nice for personal and small business users who need rapid access to their funds. Their overall system is easy to use, navigate and setup from the start and they continue to roll out new features that make doing business easier and easier. I love have everything I need to process payments, even invoicing and POS, right in one location.
ConsCharging an extra percentage point for using an instant deposit feature is a bit crappy, but hey, that is business I suppose. I would also like to see it a bit easier to use their API system to hook into other eCommerce platforms as their existing API is a bit tricky to say the least.
April 28, 2019
Jamie J.
Owner/Designer
April 5, 2019

“Thankful for Square”

ProsI am able to process payments without monthly fees, my funds are delivered next day, and the chargeback protection is amazing. I have not found a credit card processing company willing to help business in the chargeback situations. The banks side with their customers every time and there is a lot of fraud because of it. Square offers protection if you provide valid evidence, I haven't found another processing company that does that. I also like that they take their processing percentage right away, rather than at the end of the month. This way I do not have to worry about payments due. I use invoices a lot, and I like that they are offering lines of credit now in case I need to make big purchases. The payments are made back by my transactions, that was nice to be able to purchase supplies without using high percentage interest rated cc's
ConsI hate that apple phones no longer have a headjack so now for my square reader I have to have an extension, which is quite awkward.
April 5, 2019
Anissa C.
Graphic Design, Self-employed
July 18, 2019

“Square is so convenient and user friendly.”

OverallI find it very easy to use and set up. The app is very good for reporting as well.
ProsI have been using Square for at least 2 years now. One of my favorite features is the Square Card and the ability to have instant access to my money.
ConsI do not like that it doesn't accept Netspend as a bank account. I have to set up my debit card for instant transfers instead which adds an additional fee.
July 18, 2019
Mental Health Care, Self-employed
October 4, 2018

“Nice Options for Having Pre-Set Service Costs, but Higher Cost for Stored Cards”

OverallI now only use Square for occasional one-off payments if I do not wish to store a client's card on file, because the rates are competitive for this type of payment. I am now able to securely store my clients' cards on file with a different software, and can process payments easily at the end of my day all at once, all for the same rate that Square charges for a swiped card (plus, text messages to clients do not include my practice name). Unfortunately, Square is no longer my go-to payment software for my therapy practice.
ProsI appreciated how fast and easy it was to set up a Square account, have a card reader shipped to me, and start accepting CC payments (which I could before I even received the card reader, for the additional cost of charging a manually-entered card number). I also liked that it is easy, once various service options are set up in the app, to simply click a button to charge pre-set payment options.
ConsI am a psychotherapist, and I eventually ended up switching to another credit card processor for several reasons: I didn't like swiping a card at the end of every client session, or paying higher rates to store my clients' cards on file. The receipt emails/texts that Square sent to clients were also less confidential, as they included my business name in the message.
October 4, 2018
Sean D.
SEO Digital Marketing Analyst (Remote)
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
January 14, 2019

“Great for my small business”

OverallThis was a great tool for my small business while we were selling tea products at local farmers markets. I would often also use this tool to charge our retail clients and larger coffee shop accounts. The flexibility this program offers its users was the real draw for my business.
ProsLow startup cost Great for monitoring cash flow for tax time If you have good service card are run in a very timely manner The option to switch over to a flat fee once you hit a certain cash flow volume Good for accepting payments at any time
ConsIn the past when there was no service available it was not possible to process payments leading to a lot of customers becoming upset that I was unable to ring them out immediately. If the percentage per transaction could be lowered more customers would use this software for a longer period of time.
January 14, 2019
Grace C.
Founder/Professional Copywriter
Music, 1-10 employees
December 30, 2018

“Great for bands, large events, small businesses ”

OverallExcellent concept, service, and idea. It is great for small spaces and travel.
ProsWe use square quite frequently. I often help musicians with their shows and bookings, and this is what we use for merchandise sales, and the system is simpler to set up than large POS machines. I also use this in my own business for people to pay via credit cards, and we have even used it at our personal yard sales in order to allow debit and credit transactions for large purchases. Favorite features: no extra fees, everything is straightforward, and it accepts Apple Pay.
ConsOccasionally, the smartphone plug in will become disconnected and have trouble connecting, but it's relatively easy to fix, and they have helped send us a new one if it's broken. Customer service is excellent.
December 30, 2018
Skyler G.
November 2, 2018

“Quick, easy and convenient.”

OverallSquare payments processing has been a fantastic addition to my office. I use it daily and have to problems. It is easy to get receipts to customers and quick to take their payments. Their fees are fair and their software is rich with customization options.
ProsSquare offers a great service for business owners that accept credit/debit cards as payment. I really like that square works with a variety of tablets and phones. Square has a lot of options for you to customize your products and makes it easy and quick to charge and take payments. I appreciate how they have made their software simple but with many options to make it work with your business.
ConsAt the time of this review, I do not have any complaints with Square. I have rarely run into any trouble and if I do, it's usually the hardware on my end.
November 2, 2018
Jennelle W.
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2019

“Super convenient and easy”

OverallReally nice! The app works really well and we get quick deposits. Five stars!
ProsSquare works great for us! We use this software with customers for our band. We've moved to an era where most of our customers don't carry a checkbook, so being able to process credit cards on the go has made life so much easier for us! If our customers didn't have a checkbook, we used to have to send them an invoice after the gig, and that wasn't such a pain, and we didn't always get paid in a timely manner. Now, we can take credit cards and take payment on the spot!
ConsThe processing fees are on the higher side, however, it's nice that you don't have to pay a monthly fee, so it works well for us when sometimes our payments are more sporadic.
August 15, 2019
Jennifer C.
HR Generalist
Internet, 11-50 employees
July 22, 2019

“Very useful for on the go transactions”

OverallI have very much enjoyed my experience with Square. I only changed over to Propay because Premier launched e-commerce for our web pages and we had to use Propay instead. I still have my square so I can use it any time if needed but with my Propay account I have immediate access to my funds by way of a debit card so that works much better for my needs. I cannot remember if you can email invoices with square but I would assume so.
ProsI use this both in my personal business ( selling Jewelry) and at church to sign up for events. It is very easy to use and I love that I can enter inventory for faster transactions ( versus looking up the price of everything). I just click on what the customer needs, swipe their card and if they have used the square before they are already in the system and the receipt goes out immediately. If they are not, they simple enter their phone for a text or email and your done!
ConsUnlike my Propay account, I wish there was an ATM card I could use for the funds versus having to wait until the funds are transferred to my checking account. That is the only drawback.
Alyssa B.
HR Director
Higher Education, 501-1000 employees
June 24, 2019

“Good Product”

OverallWe use this primarily for ticket sales for different events, and it has gone very smoothly!
ProsSquare is extremely user friendly for both the customer, and client. It takes very little time to set up, and there are options to have free transactions, which is a hug plus!
ConsNot everyone feels as safe using Square, as they do PayPal, and some other more well known products.
June 24, 2019
Jeffrey D.
Customer Success Manager
Internet, 51-200 employees
April 11, 2019

“Outstanding Payment Portal”

ProsRather than getting gouged each month by some of the bigger payment gateway services, Square allows you to send invoices, including scheduled/recurring invoices; set up reminders for invoices; swipe cards through its free magnetic strip reader; set up payroll, and a whole lot more. I consider Square to be a much more flexible payment provider than PayPal and there support is fabulous... A couple of years ago, I mentioned the option of adding invoice reminders and received what I initially thought was just a quick, kind response from a woman indicating that she would be forwarding my recommendation to the development team. A couple of months later, however, I was stunned to receive a follow-up email from the woman inviting me to review the beta version of the invoice reminder system that was kicked off after receiving my recommendation. My feedback was also ultimately implemented within the final invoice reminder rollout. Now THAT'S customer service.
ConsIn my opinion, there is absolutely nothing at all NOT to like about Square.
April 11, 2019
Amanda S.
Owner/Photographer
May 21, 2018

“I wouldn't have my small business without Square Payments Processing!”

ProsI love the ease and reliability of using Square, I didn't experience any sort of learning curve when I began using it for my photography studio. I appreciate that the customer isn't burdened with the processing fee, and I (and my customers!) trust the security of the credit card processing. The staple features for me are the invoicing system and the sales reports. I think the processing fee is perfectly reasonable for the ease of use, multiple features, and peace of mind I get from using Square.
ConsI would really love more flexibility in selecting specific dates for scheduling future invoices. I sometimes have to go in and schedule separate invoices for the same client because I can't schedule on, say, the 20th of the month with payment due on the 30th. I also wish cancelled invoices would stay listed on the main invoice screen, but that's a very minor detail.
May 21, 2018
Higher Education, 11-50 employees
July 30, 2019

“A terrific, easy, and relatively low-cost option for payment processing”

OverallWe switched from a more traditional cash register/payment processing system to Square after opening new retail space on our college campus. Ease of set-up, ease of use, and ease of reporting have all been terrific. We don't spend a lot of time thinking about it, because most of the time, it just works. A payments processing solution that doesn't require a lot of attention or thought is perfect for what we need.
ProsEasy set-up It's easy to program your cash register interface to your liking Advanced options are available and also easy to configure
ConsOn rare occasions, some functionality is difficult to access Function of your cash register (if you're using it for in-person payments) is dependent on a strong internet signal
July 30, 2019
Adelyn C.
d.Leadership Co President
Education Management, 11-50 employees
May 17, 2019

“Very convenient - not quite sure how it works”

ProsAfter I go to a store that uses Square, I get an email receipt, which in my opinion is way better than getting a paper receipt that I'll probably toss anyways. It keeps us from wasting paper. Also, the system moves quite quickly and is extremely self-explanatory. I also remember a while ago there were Square card readers that could be plugged into phones through the headphone jack (back when headphone jacks were a thing) which I thought was extremely interesting.
ConsThere's not much there is to dislike about Square - I'm not sure how well it works with Apple or Android Pay (or any other kind of virtual wallet), so it might not be as optimal for people to that end.
May 17, 2019
Andrew F.
Designer
Retail, 1-10 employees
May 7, 2019

“Start Taking Payments Today. Easy To Get Started.”

OverallOverall, for the convenience and easy of use it is hard not to recommend Square as a payment processor for small to medium size businesses. You will gain access to all the conveniences large businesses enjoy to accept credit and debit payments at an affordable rate for your low volume of use. If you are a large business with very high volume it might be worthy to investigate other options which could yield lower overall costs and fees.
ProsSquare is fast and easy to setup, accepts all credit and debit cards, and pays out fast directly to your bank account. I cannot recommend Square enough for any business needing the convenience of accepting credit and debit cards.
ConsSquare offers many features that enhance their payment processing service. Most of these additional features add to your fees Square collects each month. It would be nice if Square offered a few more of these additional features and enhancements for free.
May 7, 2019
Caley N.
Boudoir Photographer
October 3, 2019

“Makes Taking Payments So Much Easier”

OverallOverall, it's the best payment processor I've used, and it's pretty intuitive. I just wish the processing fees were cheaper.
ProsSquare is one of the only products that fits my needs for taking payments via invoice, at a POS, AND offers payment plans. It puts all my credit card sales in one place and it easy to operate.
ConsI use Square Installments, and I do kind of feel like Square is double dipping on this. They charge the client interest (though I love that it isn't compounding interest), AND I pay more on my end.
Gail E.
LPC, owner, Baker
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees
September 4, 2019

“Square is a must have when attending events, and working as a vendor”

OverallHaving square allows me to accept payments away from the office. I am involved in many events monthly. Several of my clients pay with debit/credit cards. Square allows me to continue to do business efficiently while maintaining professionalism with my new and existing clients.
ProsSquare is always updated to meet new cell phones portals. For example, when I had the I-Phone 5-S, square immediately sent me the swipe portal that is compatible to my new i-phone 10 XS.
ConsI wish I had find out about square sooner. Square offers a history of transactions and and a speedy bank deposit. No Cons to report at this time.
September 4, 2019
Michele M.
Therapist
Mental Health Care, Self-employed
September 2, 2019

“Makes taking payments quick and easy, although some features done better by other software”

OverallOverall, Square is easy to use and has a good number of helpful features. Their fees are generally competitive, although I wish they'd charge the same fee for card-present and card-not-present transactions. I will continue to use Square for my clients who like swiping their cards.
ProsI like that Square is easy to set up and uses an online platform--you aren't required to install any apps or additional software if you don't want to. Square has competitive prices: 2.75% for card-present transactions without any extra fees. I also like the option to order a chip-reader for extra security. Square also sends you your deposit the next day, which is fairly quick for the price point. Square can also charge HSA and FSA cards, which is helpful as a therapist.
ConsI dislike that Square charges a much higher percentage for card-not-present transactions, plus an extra per-transaction fee. As a therapist, my clients like having a card on file that I can charge after our sessions without having to use our counseling time to deal with physical cards. Some cards also have trouble swiping through the mag-reader and require you to type the number in. Square is not practical for this type of regular transaction. I use the therapist-specific app IvyPay for these types of transactions because it can keep the card number on file and uses an across-the-board 2.75% fee rather than charging a higher price for card-not-present transactions.
September 2, 2019
Josiah E.
Faith Chapel Young Adults Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees
October 4, 2019

“Square Still Best”

OverallEverything goes smoothly and I've little issues of any kind. Square stays on top of it consistently.
ProsThere is diversity of rather easy to use accessories. They are sleek looking and hold their battery charge or are rather functional. Square also seems to be the universal "go to" for point of sale.
ConsThe charge per purchase that goes to square seemed to be higher than others. I looked around at better deals so to speak but I still landed on square because, we'll, it's just better than anything else I've seen, even tho it's a little more pricy.
October 4, 2019
Bessy V.
Multimedia Designer/Interpreter/Translator
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
October 3, 2019

“Square: The Good and Bad”

OverallThey were my first choice in the beginning, but after the 2 disputes and how bad they handled them, I went back to PayPal. I still keep them for some of my less conventional clients (the ones who don't want to/ or can't follow a link, but rather just give me their info over the phone).
ProsIt's easy to use. Your favorite device becomes your POS which is convenient especially for those of us who do work on the road. You can get instant deposit with an extra fee which is nice.
ConsI don't like their customer service. You have to pay extra to be able to call their customer service number and even if you do (because I did the trial for premium service), they don't really resolve anything. I also don't like their dispute process. You get very limited time to submit your documentation proving the transaction was valid. Some paperwork takes a while to get from clients. AND...they allowed a couple of clients to dispute charges that were from the year past, which I still don't understand. The worst part of the dispute process is that they'll take the money from your account and then take forever to return it. In both my cases, I had to pay the premium service to be able to talk to customer service, which got me nowhere and then had to email the dispute team with additional information (which you're not supposed to do since they have a form you fill out through the portal). And then, if you have customer who makes purchases for the same amount...you can't do instant deposit because they'll hold the funds to make sure you're not ripping people off even though you've demonstrated to be a credible and reputable business.
Rach T.
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
August 25, 2019

“I can't praise this product enough!!!”

OverallVery positive
ProsThe fact that I can have multiple 'terminals' that were all a 'one off' cost means that I can save money all year round - as i don't use them every month of the year this is a major savings for my small business. Having these multiple 'terminals' across multiple locations and the log in is done on a mobile means that anyone of my 4 admin staff or 12 teachers at work can take a payment and it all be seen at a central website. I love the 'transaction' history, and that the notes section at payment time allows anyone to put in exact details of what they are taking money for.
ConsI don't really have anything worth complaining about!?
August 25, 2019
Rhiannon R.
August 8, 2019

“Life Easy with Square”

ProsI LOVE the fact that after so many transactions and good history, Square offers Capital to you. They take payment back from daily CC sales. The app and web page are well designed and work flawlessly! Square also offers Instant Deposit to a debit card, which makes it perfect when you need the funds right away.
ConsOnly Con I have is that the processing fees are little high compare to other Processing companies
August 8, 2019
Jeff B.
Operations Manager

“Excellent product ”

ProsSquare is very intuitive. Everything is touch based and easy to locate. I really like the custom reports feature.
Conssometimes it can be difficult to find what you're looking for. And the rewards feature requires you to enter a customer name before transaction to apply benefits.
Brian N.
April 2, 2019

“The Easiest Way to Accept Payment”

OverallThis is the best possible way to get setup with accepting credit card payments. Once you create your account, which only takes a few minutes, they'll send you a free card reader. But you can also accept payments by manually entering the card numbers. It works equally well on a desktop computer (via website) or using the mobile app. One of the best features is that if you have $25 or more to deposit you can instantly deposit the money. I usually get it in my bank account within seconds of depositing. Plus, now they have new features like invoicing, capital loans, and POS solutions.
ProsSimple setup. Easy to use. Free card reader. Instant deposit.
ConsThe processing fee isn't the cheapest, but it's not unreasonable.
April 2, 2019
Non-Profit Organization Management, Self-employed
November 6, 2018

“Nonprofit Events”

OverallOne of a kind. This is a solid system with many reporting and set up options. If you sell things then this is the number 1 system for you!
ProsThere is a big reason why square is so popular! It is a one of a kind payment processing system. It is safe, secure, and easy to use. We use our for a thrift store and nonprofit events. We have two accounts which makes distinguishing funds easy and they are both set up to different bank accounts. You can list items for sale so you know the cost and don't have to type it in. Square even gives you your first card ready for free when you sign up. This is one of those tools that is always handy to have in your bag as the director of a nonprofit.
ConsAfter some time card readers to loose their ability to read cards or sometimes cards can be old and difficult to read. If a few failed swipe attempts don't work there is not need to worry. Just go in and type the card number. This option makes everything less stressful.
November 6, 2018
Mary Beth C.
August 26, 2019

“Square Payments Processing Review”

OverallI really like having this option for my clients. Especially because my clients are making large purchases and can put on their credit cart to get points or have it taken right out of their checking accounts.
ProsIt is so easy to take payments whether by on the phone or swiping their card /using the chip in person. And the payment is deposited the next day. It is great that clients don't have to write a check or bring cash.
ConsThat we have to pay a fee, but I know we are paying for the service.
August 26, 2019
Jaran N.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
February 6, 2019

“Great Payment Processor”

OverallI use Square as a payment processor for my small business. It has helped to streamline the taking of payments. The tools they provide with chip machines or swipers has also made being mobile much easier and lighter.
ProsSquare makes it so easy to take payments as a small business. The website and app are easy to navigate and easy to add items or services for purchase.
ConsWhen I need an answer to a question, the first solution provided by Square is to go through a series of FAQs or read articles about the the issue. Sometimes I just need to send an email or make a phone call so that I can get back to work.
February 6, 2019
Renee C.
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
September 12, 2018

“Economical and Flexible Payment Processing”

ProsFees/percentages are lower than most other payment processors. Equipment is minimal and inexpensive. No need to buy expensive processing equipment. Equipment is mobile, and works right with your smart phone or tablet, and with multiple devices. Payment is in my account the next day. Website has a variety of helpful reports to help you manage your income, and a store front feature with items and you can paste the link right on your website.
ConsNothing really. I like this software, and I've been using it for about 3 years.
September 12, 2018
Justin N.
Senior Financial Analyst
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
July 31, 2019

“Square Payments Great for Receiving Payment Anywhere”

OverallOur overall experience with Square Payments has been overwhelmingly positive. Our customers appreciate the ease and convenience of swiping their credit card vs paying in cash or worse, writing a check.
ProsWhat we liked most about the software was giving our customers the ability to pay for their purchase with a credit card. In fact, once they learned that credit card payments were accepted, most of our patrons used the Square Payments method.
ConsAs with any device that relies on WiFi or Cellular data - it doesn't work when in some locations because of lack of signal strength or no signal at all.
July 31, 2019
Rebekah M.
Owner hair stylist make-up artist
Individual & Family Services, Self-employed
December 24, 2018

“Square payments processing”

OverallIf you need to access your money faster you have that option. And sometimes you need to rush situations. But overall wonderful sustem. And will continue to use.
ProsI love how simple it tis software is to use. You can easily have this set up and ready to except. For the security square offers is priceless. They don't play , Out if years working with this system. They have done nothing but improve this entire process.
ConsOnly thing I can say is I purchased a card chip reader and never received it. However I know they will.correct the issue
December 24, 2018