Best For

Temporary staffing agencies that require talent, portfolio and campaign management, scheduling and payroll.

Product Details

StaffConnect is built by people in the industry, for the industry. Founded in Australia by an ex promotions model, brand ambassador & software engineer. Today were a diverse team made up of programmers, engineers, customer support specialists, free thinkers + an actress / stunt double. We love what we do and want to do it better, so you can be confident in staffing more events while we handle all the tedious, routine, boring data stuff that excites us.

Contact Details

Nobox

https://staffconnect-app.com

Founded in 2010

Located in Australia

No Media

Starting Price

  • $30.00/month

Platform

  • Installed - Mac
  • Cloud, SaaS, Web
  • Installed - Windows
  • Mobile - iOS Native
  • Mobile - Android Native

Training

  • In Person
  • Live Online
  • Webinars
  • Documentation

Support

  • Business Hours
  • Online

StaffConnect Features

Automated Scheduling
Messaging
Mobile Access
Online Time Clock
Payroll Management
Reporting/Analytics
Resource Management
Schedule Distribution
Shift Swapping
Billing & Invoicing
CRM
Candidate Management
Interview Management
Job Posting
Job Requisition
Onboarding
Payroll Management
Resume Parsing
Self Service Portal
Temporary Staffing
Budgeting & Forecasting
Contractor Management
Employee Lifecycle Management
Labor Projection
Performance Appraisal
Recruiting Management
Scheduling
Skills Tracking
Time & Attendance
Variable Workforce

StaffConnect Reviews

Showing all 3 reviews
Overall
4/5
Ease of Use
4/5
Customer Service
4.7/5
Alison P.
Internal Communications Manager
Food Production, 1001-5000 employees
Used the software for: 2+ years
Overall Rating
4/5
Ease of Use
5/5
Customer Service
4/5
Features
4/5
Value for Money
4/5
Likelihood to Recommend
8/10
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 18, 2019

“Staff App ... how about it?”

OverallEnables us to reach our large operational teams who are not 'connected'. Where we struggle is getting buy-in from employees who 1/ struggled to connect the first time, 2/ don't want to use their personal mobile for work purposes
ProsEase of use and navigation Visually appealing content Easy to administer Community! Employees are able to engage with the business and each other in a less formal, way which is interactive and engaging
ConsThe sign-up process can be a barrier for new users ... needs to be simplified. Some bugs take a while to fix The library feature needs more layers
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 18, 2019
Ron W.
PROVINCIAL CO-ORDINATOR
Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: Less than 6 months
Overall Rating
4/5
Ease of Use
4/5
Customer Service
5/5
Features
5/5
Value for Money
5/5
Likelihood to Recommend
10/10
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 11, 2019

“GREAT SCHEDULING SOFTWARE AND EVEN BETTER SUPPORT”

OverallWe had been filling gigs by chasing a large bunch of contractors - phone, email, text, ambush . With StaffConnect, our people, see the posted gigs and come to us via the Software. It seems up to 80% of the gigs self-fill. Leaving only about 20% for us to chase - a huge increase in efficiency. Also because it is icloud based, we all can easily work from anywhere.
ProsStaff Connect is greatly simplifying what was a rather complex manual system of scheduling, tracking and getting reports from hundreds of independent contractors. It seems, every time we saw a problem, StaffConnect had the solution. StaffConnect Support is simply the best I have experienced. They are knowledgeable, quick to respond, extremely patient and calmly resist sarcasm when the answer to my question is right in front of me. The team went far and beyond in helping create the complex reports required by our business.
ConsSome of our contractors are struggling utilizing their side of the software, which has taken more time than I was prepared for. However, that is pretty typical of any new system.
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 11, 2019
Anna G.
Booking Agent
Events Services, 201-500 employees
Used the software for: 2+ years
Overall Rating
4/5
Ease of Use
3/5
Customer Service
5/5
Features
4/5
Likelihood to Recommend
8/10
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 11, 2019

“Amazing Customer Service Team ”

ProsThe customer service team is always there to help with any questions or glitches and reply promptly and solve problems efficiently. The dedicated team at staff connect also created an amazing complex feature upon our request (with a tight deadline!) which allowed us to make a huge payment structure transition with ease.
ConsThere are a few processes that could be simplified or reordered allowing for greater ease of use.
Reviewer Source 
Source: Capterra
September 11, 2019