Denali Accounting Software Ratings

Overall

About Denali Accounting Software

Cougar Mountain Software develops leading on-premise accounting solutions for small to mid-sized businesses. Our flagship software, DENALI, is specifically designed to be a complete accounting solution which scales to the needs of your business, while maintaining an unbreakable audit trail. Business Intelligence provides customizable dashboards, predictive analytics, and pulse alerts. Learn more about Denali Accounting Software

June 1, 2017

“Not as good as CMS Pro but heading in excellent direction”

ProsFor the money, the features are excellent and I challenge you to find a better product in the price range. We have been using CMS since 1992. In fact, I still have one business doing in same revenue still using the DOS version. We also use Pro for some businesses and one business is now on Denali. The product is excellent. We didn't want to change from CMS PRO but had to. Denali is strong. Not yet better than PRO but most users won't know the difference. Bottom line: solid accounting foundation, well organized, more than capable for wholesale distributor. We are heavily customized which was not possible with Denali. Thankfully, they have partners that are very capable. I have always considered CMS one of the best business decisions I ever made.
ConsSomewhat slower to use. Screens are not colored well so can be hard to use/ see what you're doing. I wish they would at least acknowledge the strengths of CMS Pro and work harder to identify and incorporate them into Denali. Oh, the new software programming doesn't allow you to easily move the data and run it from another location. That was a huge advantage when hard drives failed or we needed to move systems. It will be much harder now. These are not big issues but they are cons from my perspective. I'd still buy the product any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
June 1, 2017
David G.
Director of Finances
Accounting, 1-10 employees
December 6, 2016

“Fund accounting and Cougar Mtn. customer service”

OverallThe thing that frustrates me the most about your program with the issues it does have is not the program. It is the customer service as it pertains to how you justify your billing me. Recently I had an issue with the payroll module and sent information in to be reviewed. This turned into a 2-hour phone call that cost me. The instructions in your help and field names is misleading. So misleading that the rep and I couldn't figure out what was going on during that 2-hour phone call. I finally figured it out and sent a follow-up email to you guys. What I got was a wasted two hours and a bill on my training hours. Not happy at all as well when it cost me to point out errors when your system has errors in it, like the new drill down report in the Audit Trail, and I get billed for it. Do not only do I get billed for something that wasn't even clear to Kevin. I get billed for pointing out calculation problems with your program. Why should I get billed for bringing things up that are incorrect in the way your program works or process errors that your staff can't point out? I am not happy with the end result of your customer service! Those who help me are great in the eagerness to help, but those who make the real customer service calls on the billing I am very disappointed in their decisions. So much so... I would warn any prospective client of yours to beware. You do not seem to be able to take ownership of your issues. You pass them on to your customers.
ProsI like how it allocates. But I hate it that once in the system, the system treats every transaction in the allocation as a separate transaction instead of an allocation.
ConsThe accounting program has to be accurate and data usable. I have found problems in your program and was told it that it was not meant to be used as an auditing tool. My response is it should be accurate! It is an accounting program. On the data useful side, it is not as useful as your sales staff made it out to be for FUND accounting. To get our billing out last month I had to sort through 40 pages of transactions and do hand calculations to meet the requirements of our fund managers. I get to do that again this month. Makes me wonder how this is supposed to be a program that is for FUND accounting. Yes, your company is aware of my frustration here and the kind of reporting is needed.
Recommendations to other buyersI don't think your company is listening.
Mark B.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
September 5, 2017

“Many features not right. My CPA hates the software.”

OverallAnything that is wrong with the software, they make you feel it's your fault, or they designed it that way. Customer service feels like it's run by a your worst nightmare of a Cable Company.
ProsHistory. I love history for my customer's past purchase. Multi Level Pricing for inventory. 2 Must haves for my business.
ConsSoftware is more suited for a simple Cash drawer. Forget a mixed environment, card swipe and online terminals for Credit card processing. Even Cougar Mountain does not use integrated Card Processing themselves. Credit Cards processed though Sales do not show in Bank Reconciliation, yet Card Payments in AR do show in Bank Reconciliation. Ask why, Because you might not make the deposit from the Sale. Just a example of odd answers from Management. Many things just don't work the way they should. Warnings that an invoice is not printed before posting also include any on hold order not printed. Ship To address files have crossed variables. A Ship To Company Name is NOT used anywhere but in the UI for entering. Contact name becomes the Ship to Company name. This was "designed" this way. eDelivery for Invoices/Statements still limited to 75 pages per run after software has been around for a year. Their solution, just select less than 75. eDelivery Software then tosses out system level errors. Solution, Reboot your computer as Windows 10 Pro is at fault. Even a computer from Cougar, setup just for their software.
September 5, 2017
Lezah S.
Business Manager
Education Management, 51-200 employees
October 10, 2018

“Denali Fund Accounting is accurate”

OverallDenali Fund Accounting is very accurate. I rarely have a software issue. I have been using this product over 20 years. I have used other Fund accounting programs and have come back to Denali. It is straight forward and easy to use. It does not have tons of bells and whistles, but it is reliable and accurate. The program works. I use GL, AP, BR and Payroll modules. They integrate well together. You can have custom reports built for your specific use. I like their CD service for upgrades.
ProsIt is accurate. Easy to use. I trust the software . My reports are accurate.
ConsSometimes you cannot print in a module by using "Ctrl P
Mary P.
December 11, 2018

“Support is Wonderful”

OverallReporting is always a big problem. With Denali FUND we are able to export into files that import easily into Excel and then we can produce reports that make sense for our municipality.
ProsThe support has been fantastic. From implementation to ongoing use, all we have to do is call for help. We almost always get an answer within an hour.
ConsPayroll setup felt cumbersome but in the long run, the setup was worth it. We now get reports with each payroll that split taxes between departments.
December 11, 2018
Wendy J.
business Manager
Education Management, 11-50 employees
June 7, 2017

“The staff are very helpful.”

Pros I like that it intrgrates with the other modules or that you can use each module individually. I am interested in how the payment process will work with our desk top in the sales module.
ConsIt is a bit more costly then our other software was I do not like that I cannot take a debit payment and have it integrate directly with Denali. We use Moneris and I do not know what we could use that would do that.
June 7, 2017
Kim T.
Township Clerk
October 15, 2018

“Denali Fund Cost Effective for Small Municipalities”

OverallWe have used Cougar Mountain for many years and Denali FUND since its inception. Cougar Mountain is very open to feedback and suggested improvements. Their customer support is terrific!
ProsWe get full functionality for our small town government office at a cost we can afford.
ConsLack of regional training. Thankfully, it is very user friendly and the HELP features are effective.
October 15, 2018
Amanda J.
Inventory Manager
Warehousing, 11-50 employees

“Cougar Mountain Inventory”

OverallThe customer support system is wonderful; however, some of the features such as the copy inventory to multi-location feature have been giving me a real problem.. Especially when I'm adding new items into multiple locations.
ProsIts easy to use.
ConsI wish that I could pull inventory reports by date specific, also the copy new inventory gives me some trouble
Recommendations to other buyersI would like more filters on narrowing down reports
Georgina R.
Finance and Budget Director

“Review of Denali”

OverallDenali is a good software. The transition from another software to Denali was smooth. I believe the software could improve in few ways. the first thing we noticed is that to back up our organization increased from 5 minutes to 20-25 minutes. My Staff backs up our organization twice a day. this process cuts our productivity by an hour each day.
Prosit is easy to use.
Consthe backup process is too long.
Heather A.
Accounts Payable
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2018

“Very User Friendly, Needs Almost No Training”

ProsEase of use, multiple reports with different parameters, shortcut keys. Customer service is excellent. Reps are super friendly and take time to explain how-tos and/or how they are fixing problems.
ConsI have found absolutely no cons for this software.
Kermic P B.
Accounting, 1-10 employees
October 10, 2019

“Very pleased with functions”

OverallNone
ProsIt fits any business - I have had over 25 installation - all different industries and Cougar works
ConsVery few complaints Accounts Receivable module should post in summary like it does in Bank Rec
October 10, 2019
Angie W.
Fiscal Officer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
December 9, 2016

“Denali Review”

OverallDenali Fund Software is relatively easy to use. A good value for the money. Customer Service has always been helpful.
ProsMost of the software is easy to use. Has some good report options. I like the ability to copy accounts and funds.
ConsI do not like the posting process. I do not like that errors cannot be corrected after posting. I would like to see a better GL option. The GL audit report is hard to read - needs a better format.
December 9, 2016
Sandy H.
Bookkeeper
Civic & Social Organization, Unspecified
March 30, 2016

“We learn something new everyday, their customer service is exceptional”

ProsThe integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs. I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors.
ConsThe payroll package. I do not like the payroll reports. I am used to easier payroll reports for my payroll taxes and I do not like that I have to use an outside Payroll company to be able to easily see what I owe. Yes I can figure it out but without the use of the outside Payroll company but with it, it is 1000 times faster. But for the extra cost of the outside company, I doubt my employer would even consider it. The customer service of Cougar Mountain is exceptional. No complaints here.
Recommendations to other buyersWhen you do purchase your software. Run your old system and your new system side by side until you get all of the kinks worked out. Believe me no matter how much you plan and think you are ready to go live, you will not be ready to go live.
March 30, 2016
Cate E.
Director of Finance

“Director of Finance”

OverallInitial set up training was problematic and the integration between MS Suite and Crystal Reports is lacking. Customer support is very responsive and I like the simple interface over a very functional system. Cloud-based upgrades very professional and speedy.
ProsSimple interface with lots of functionality.
ConsNot fully integrated with MS Suite
Recommendations to other buyersTraining staff should be clear with their clients that the account code has to be the first segment of the coding, otherwise the reports don't work.
David S.
Logistics and Supply Chain, Unspecified
November 3, 2015

“Best value in accounting software I have ever seen.”

ProsIt can be tailored to fit nearly any need. With CMS I can get the Custom Modifications I need for some of my special needs. Right out of the box it has so many customizable options you can not imagine what all it can do. If you can not fid a way, just call CMS. They can and will find a way to fit everything you need.
ConsIt is not a pop-the-top and pour software. It can be a little complex for the beginner. But with time and use you can usually make it perform however you need.
Recommendations to other buyersLook at the price versus power. It is a super value when you see all that it can do. Plus it is not just for mom and pop. It can run a fairly complex company with ease.
November 3, 2015
John J.
Owner/Sommelier
Retail, 1-10 employees
January 23, 2019

“Denali POS Review by Wine Rack”

ProsIntegration of POS Sales, INV & Account modules, along with stellar customer support.
ConsSales screen (Order Entry) could be easier to read with larger font, & less wasted white space.
Deb R.
Fiscal Director
November 26, 2018

“Compliment”

ProsYour support team is awesome, so knowledgeable and friendly.
ConsI would like to be able to customize reports without having to purchase Crystal software, or any other software.
November 26, 2018
Natalie H.

“CMS - Denali”

ProsThe software has functions that protect the company from fraud. It is very detailed and the history is easy to look back.
ConsThe price of tech support for just asking a simple question.
Marie P.
Retail, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2018

“Great Customer Service, efficent software program”

ProsCustomer service is always friendly and knowledgeable. Denali offers many options to add on based on your needs as a business.
ConsNot a big fan of the general ledger function
Bob B.
Solution Consultant
Accounting, 51-200 employees
March 11, 2018

“Great for small to mid-size buisenes”

ProsModular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.
ConsThe interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.
March 11, 2018
Tom G.
Philanthropy, Unspecified
3.5/5
August 31, 2016

“Great for the price, Mostly got it right...”

ProsFrom an audit standpoint, batch processing, locked transactions and audit trail, easy G/L, full module integration. From an ease of use, straight forward accounting product.
ConsFrom an ease of use, graphics and click area make for some clunky functionality. Payroll reporting should provide more detail to make sure quarterly reports can be completed in case Aatrix is unavailable.
Recommendations to other buyersCMS will do more than enough accounting processing for the typical organization while costing 25% of some other software. However, you would need to establish how important it is for you to drill down to transactions on the fly versus the batch processing style.
August 31, 2016
Wendy J.
Busniness Manager
Education Management, 11-50 employees

“Denali Fund accounting”

OverallWe have been using Denali for two years. It has helped us to keep our records organized and up to date. !!
ProsI really like the bank rec option.
ConsI think the point of sale module could be more user-friendly.
Professional Training & Coaching, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2018

“Very early in conversion process...”

OverallOnce our actual conversion is complete, hopefully by the end of the calendar year, I believe our reporting to our funders will be much easier. We are hoping to do away with all or at least most of our supplemental Excel workbook processing and letting Denali Fund do its magic
ProsThe ability to track grant funds - multiple levels in accounts, reporting etc - 30,000 foot view or in the weeds! Our organization has federal grants, private grants, corporate sponsorships, etc., all with different reporting requirements and budgets. We also have 7 locations and Denali Fund is able to track by the funding sources and locations. We are very early in our use of the software - still converting in the middle of our fiscal year. I'm sure we will only be using a small percentage of the software's capability in the beginning but as our organization grows, we will appreciate all of the funtionality.
ConsThe conversion process is a bit tedious. We are going from Quickbooks Online to Denali fund and converting data is timely and a bit inefficient unless we could afford the additional support level that would be required for getting Quickbooks records into Denali.
Sharon S.
Owner/ Office Mgr.
February 14, 2016

“I am currently using the Denali software, having transitioned over from Cougar Mt Pro”

OverallI am 66 years old, and do not possess all the technical skills of todays youth. Having said that, I learned Cougar Mt Software 25+ years ago. (when DOS based was the norm)! Cougar Mt Pro was easy to learn and work with. The Program writers did a great job with the transitioning into Denali. The Software is easy to access, understand and maneuver though..The Modules were well thought out and set up. It gives me what I need for our Accountant and more so. I'm an extremely cautious person that doesn't go outside the box of what is comfortable for me. For that reason, I "always" purchase and rely on the Support Contract package offered. Its worth every penny! From the girls that take your Support Request, to the Installers of new Updates, the specialist dealing with customized report needs and I can not forget or say enough good about the Technical personnel! With 25 years of working with Cougar Mt., I can honestly say the Customer Service Representatives are outstanding! Everyone is courteous, knowledgeable and focused. In the fast pace world we are in and everyone needing help "now", the turn around time from call to help is minimal. Everyone at Cougar Mt is so dedicated to helping you solve your issue! I am ever so grateful for their support team!
February 14, 2016
Don G.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Unspecified
October 23, 2015

“20+ Years Of Use, Sorely Disappointed”

ProsThe only good thing I can say about it is the searches and reports using crystal reports versus report writer is lightning fast.
ConsOur company purchased our first Cougar software in the early 90's, and have updated to every new version along the way. In July 2015 we bought the Denali version, and it has been terrible. Don't touch it with a ten foot pole. Hardly a day goes by that we don't find new errors in the software. Spent a lot of dollars to get everything converted and our rep, while trying to be helpful, gets the run around from support. When I talk to support they tell me our support dollars have been used and they can't report the problem to fix, even though it's obviously a program error. We can't generate purchase orders, because the system ignores items on back order. We can't do a general ledger month to month comparison. I pointed out this problem in July and they said it may be fixed by year end. Many of our month end statements have to be changed because of wrong amounts, and the payroll has bugs. I feel that we are a Beta test sight and paying them to learn of all the errors.
Recommendations to other buyersStay away from Denali. They have poor customer service for an even worse product. Issues regularly and no resolve.
October 23, 2015
Jeff H.
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

“PRODUCT REVIEW”

ProsEase of use, ability to create custom reports, manage multiple entities
ConsThe user interface needs improvement. Transition from previous solution takes some time and proper planning
Anna F.
Logistics and Supply Chain, Unspecified
November 23, 2015

“Denali is a great product”

ProsSecurity (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems.
ConsTime zones. They are in MST and we're in EST. Even though they do have CSR available by 9 am our time to solve most of our problems, they are not usually fully staffed until later in the morning.
Recommendations to other buyersYou get a lot for your money. This is an inexpensive 'customizable' accounting software. MUCH more sophisticated than QuickBooks, yet not nearly as expensive as other products. Excellent!
Ronald I.
Primary/Secondary Education, Unspecified
July 15, 2016

“FAYETTE COUNTY HEAD START”

ProsThe Support Staff is outstanding. Every time I have needed them they have solved the problem or answered my question successfully.
ConsSome of the reports need improvement. The payroll reports should be keyed more to the information needed for quarterly reporting. They need to allow for more than one accounting year to be open at at time.
Recommendations to other buyersIt's the best available in this price range. Every other software we have reviewed has not measured up.
July 15, 2016
Lezah S.
Business Manager
Education Management, 51-200 employees

“Denali Review”

OverallI was a Cougar Mountain user and I switched to another program. I had nothing but issues with the new program. Now I am back and loving Denali. It was very easy to switch back and the support staff helped me get up and running smoothly.
ProsEase of entering information and retrieving data.
ConsI want to scroll through payroll reports and that is not possible.
Recommendations to other buyersno
Ernest b.
Retail, Unspecified
January 18, 2016

“Being a user of this software for more than twenty years over all I it”

ProsIt is a very stable platform and the service we get from computer team is first class
Consthey use a genuis credit card capturing device and we feel that the device should capture the signature of our customers that have an open account. we have to have the customer sign twice or copy the A/R invoice!
Recommendations to other buyersTry it out and use computer team for service Cougar Mountain offers service but its, second rate to Dave at computer team and alot more expensive.
January 18, 2016
John F.
Accounting and Technology interface
November 13, 2015

“ Denali is full of Bugs, report information is inaccurate. Information cannot be trusted”

OverallExamples 1.Purchase Order generated an incorrect back order PO- the quantity on the PO was not what was in the Inventory Master Record. 2.The General Ledger impact report in Edit does not show accurate balances. 3. Interface with UPS Worldship does not work. 4. The daily backup only goes to a Local C Drive on a desktop. 5. Customer Statements have incorrect due dates. 6. Cannot print a Zero Dollar Invoice, but it does process through posting. 7. The percentages over Min and Max do not always work in PO. 8. Cannot modify existing reports as the data fields available are very restricted. Plus- Crystal reporting tool works very well and can be used to generate stand alone reports directly from underlying files. System speed is very good. Report output allows for export to excel files. Easy to publish adjusted standard reports. Reprint a posting in GL very helpful.

By Cougar Mountain Software on December 4, 2015
Thanks for your comments. Your points are acknowledged. We have received a design change request related to PO-generation. Also, you are right about the UPS Worldwide interface. That interface was in CMS Pro (our legacy product) but was never implemented in Denali. There are a couple of points that are unknown to us. These include the issue with the Impact Summary and the issue with the Customer Statement. We¿ve searched our records for reports of these problems without finding them. We welcome your help in recreating those. Some of the points align with the expected use of the product. The backup does not have to be saved only to the local C drive, it can be saved to any networked location. Also, zero dollar invoices are not printed as the default in Denali because many (most) customers do not want them to print. (You can print these invoices manually by selecting All as the invoice type to print.) We are constantly improving Denali and appreciate your input to the process.
November 13, 2015
Kelly O.
Executive Director
September 18, 2015

“Amazing”

OverallCougar Mountain has excellent customer service and support. They are incredibly responsive and always ready to help and answer any questions. They follow up with you to ensure you are satisfied and don't have any questions. They go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. Their software is also incredibly straightforward and easy to use. I work for a non-profit so I purchase Denali with GL, Payroll, AP, Bank Rec and Donor Express management. The different modules correlate incredibly well together allowing the accounting to be super efficient. It was easy to learn and just makes sense. My sales representative went above and beyond to ensure I had everything I needed and was progressing with my installations and training appointments. He checked in with me regularly and truly cared that this software was meeting my needs. The installation techs were very friendly and ensured the software was up and running quickly. My trainer was incredibly helpful and walked me through how to use the program and different modules. He was thorough, responsive and very friendly. I highly recommend Cougar Mountain!
September 18, 2015

ConsSMALL FONT PRINT USED BY CRYSTAL REPORTS
Kelly F.
April 18, 2017

“easy customization”

OverallThe integration of all of the packages and the easy customization to your needs. I like that you can get as much detail or as little detail as you require on your reports. The financial statements, trial balances, and audit trails work to assist you in finding any posting errors. Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems. I like the integration of the modules (ie.e purchase order, to inventory, to accounts payable, to general ledger). This speeds up all data entry. We really like being able to archive reports rather than printing reams. Overall, this software is great!
ProsI like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.
ConsI'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts.
April 18, 2017
Mary F.
Controller
Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees

“Pro vs. Denali”

OverallWe have been customers for about 15 years. The transition to Denali was very unacceptable. The Denali software was more of a beta version that was rolled out. The software had way too many glitches that needed to be "worked around" as opposed to resolved. Even though we are "comfortable" with using Denali, there are still new errors that take a while for the patches to be released on. Customer service has always been accommodating and the staff is great.
ConsNot web-based. Only one person to do customized reports. Patches take too long to roll out.
Kathy R.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, Unspecified
June 14, 2016

“I have used Cougar Mountain Denali for 3 years. ”

ProsThis product is very easy to use. It is user friendly. The support team is excellent. I receive return calls the same day.
ConsWish I had more options on the reports. The programing you can do yourself for custom reports hasn't been easy.
Recommendations to other buyersThis is a great product. The support is awesome. The price is good.
June 14, 2016
Annette H.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Unspecified
1.5/5
3.5/5
1.5/5
July 18, 2014

“DENALI is a disappointing followup to CMS”

ProsI've been with Cougar since 1990 and have always felt their product gives way more value and flexibility than any other out there on the market. They had a good product in CMS ACT. They also have US-based customer service.
ConsDENALI is not ready for roll out. It seems like Cougar forgot all the lessons they learned through their DOS and CMS products. The reports are terrible and less informative than those in CMS. I'm having to do manual calculations to determine taxable wages. They don't include sick time, vacation time, or PTO in their history reports, and frankly I haven't figured out where I can get an accurate reporting of total gross wages or taxable wages. Their sort fields work only intermittently (page break on employee = page break on every check!). Denali feels like it was cobbled together and rolled out before it had even measured up to the standards of ACT; it's definitely not an "upgrade"! I'm so disappointed in Denali that I am considering evaluating other software moving forward, as Denali is not meeting my needs or providing the data I need for our reconciliation and internal accounting processes. In all fairness, I haven't updated to Denali 4.1 SP1 yet, and some of these issues may have been resolved.
Recommendations to other buyersStick with what works. If they'd moved it over to a different platform and still provided the same reporting capability, DENALI would be a far better product.
July 18, 2014
Cindy B.
1-10 employees
November 7, 2018

“Phenomenal”

ProsI love that the product is so functional. There are so many ways to use the system to meet the very specific needs of our company. The customer service is beyond awesome. Not only are they extremely knowledgeable, they are eager to help learn the product and use it to its full capabilities for your application. I could not recommend them more highly!
ConsThere is literally nothing I don't LOVE about Denali and Cougar Mountain Software. They have exceeded my hopes and expectations in all ways.
November 7, 2018
autumn s.
office admin
Retail, 11-50 employees
October 12, 2018

“software”

Overallits slow at times and gets very expensive
Prosthe customer service is very friendly and helpful
Consits complicating at times and is very slow

By Cougar Mountain Software on October 17, 2018
Autumn, We would love the opportunity to talk with you about the specific issues that you're seeing. One of our core values is "unparalleled customer success", and we will work tirelessly to ensure that your experience using our Denali software is second to none. Is there a specific issue that I can address that would improve your experience with Denali?
October 12, 2018
Josh J.
Operations Manager
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 employees
September 26, 2018

“Excellent Payroll System For Our Non Profit!”

ProsWe were really excited to get started with growing our non profit but quickly became weary of the accounting requirements when paying individuals. It's been an amazing growth step in our organization.
ConsIt took some time to transition into this platform from our regular payroll system. However, with their support this was a quick and easy transition.
September 26, 2018
Robyn E.
Secretary
Utilities, 11-50 employees

“Secretary/Payroll”

OverallThe new program is so easy to use. It is a step by step process and payroll is now in my hands and not the program. The only thing I would like to see change is the size of the letters. it is very hard to read.
ProsVery intuitive process. Mindless work.
ConsLetters are WAY too small
John G.
IT Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, Unspecified
August 18, 2016

“Non-Profit, Multi country, Multi currency, multi user installtions”

ProsMulti user and multi currency. the customer support is great. they do quickly respond to us. they have great remote desktop software to control your machine and quickly help with problems.
Conspoor code requiring constant updates/fixes.., which most time is Full 3gb .iso install. since we are spread across the globe most of these I have to get very large iso across very slow, high latency, frequent dropped VSAT connections. frequent code generated end of year imbalances which requires yet another upgrade... hardcoded SA access for database queries.. published SA password so one code easily hack any competitors databases. until the last round of Installations very careful, undocumented tricks for installation.
Recommendations to other buyersto use this software you need high speed internet for the frequent updates and code fixes... patience like Job and
August 18, 2016
Bonnie F.
Vice President
July 18, 2016

“Interstate Battery of Sioux City - Bonnie”

ProsWe have been using CMS since at least since 1987 and have had no problems, easy to work with
ConsSupport is awesome but we don't have to call very often at all, the whole group is great to work with
Recommendations to other buyersWe are just getting ready to go live with Denali, have been practicing on it and it seems very user friendly
July 18, 2016
Laurie D.
Church Business Administrator
January 5, 2017

“Church Accounting”

OverallOur overall experience with Denali Fund Accounting has been positive. For the most part, it is straightforward and easy to use. What we really appreciate is the ability to keep funds completely separate and to always know what is in each fund.
ProsThe ability to keep funds completely separated.
ConsWhat drew me to the software was the ease of transferring money from one fund to the other. It turned out to not be so easy.
January 5, 2017
Lisa N.
Legal Assistant
Law Practice, 11-50 employees

“Payroll”

ProsThe only thing our firm uses is the payroll program and it is very user friendly.
ConsThere is nothing that I do not like about the software.
Chris E.
IT Admin
Retail, 51-200 employees
October 10, 2018

“Great solution for a small business or a big corporation”

ProsEasy integration, set up and implementation was a breeeze
ConsLearning curve from older version, but great support
Monica R.
Executive Director

“Multi fiscal year woes”

OverallYear-end closing capabilities for the multi-fiscal year set up is frustrating. Other fund software has a way to close the organizational year and have matching balances on the income statement and retained earnings revenue and expense reports. Why can't Denali?
ProsLots of features
ConsCan't close out organization year without affecting fund calendars
Recommendations to other buyersWork on find closing and budgets
Jean N.
April 21, 2016

“Long-term Customer”

OverallI began using the software from Cougar Mountain in the early 1990's. I had previously used software from two other companies with the first being too skimpy on reports and the second developed a major glitch. The initial set-up of the information was easy, and once the system was up and running, I was thrilled with the results and the detailed reports. I have used and upgraded the software various times, and to this day I'm still extremely happy and quite content with Cougar Mountain. Due to the detailed reports which it is able to produce, we have been able to substantially keep our CPA fees to a minimum. We also use corresponding checks from Cougar Mountain for our Accounts Payable and Payroll transactions due to the ease of ordering, consistency, and fast shipping.
April 21, 2016
Cheri B.
November 23, 2015

“I would never reccommend Cougar Mountain ”

OverallI am very unhappy with Cougar Mtn. and the software...things do not balance and know one can tell us why. They have messed up our Customer notes and can not fix so now we really have a mess. When I ask a question, I am told they can not answer that and they don't know why the reports look the way they do??? One report won't even print out with the correct customer address and days have been spent trying to fix it and it wasn't fixed....customer order sheets have the incorrect address or no address

By Cougar Mountain Software on April 28, 2016
Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly sorry that you have experienced these issues. Our records indicate that we have, on numerous occasions, attempted to recreate the issues you have noted. Thus far we have not been able to successfully identify an issue. We¿ve even used your data but still have not been able to reproduce the errors. We, unfortunately, see a pattern of customer problems related to the use of our heritage software (CMS Pro) and the new versions of the Windows operating system. When other customers have experienced these types of issues, we have seen that the upgrade to our newest version of accounting software, Denali, and successful data conversation, has eliminated many of the issues you have described. We encourage you to investigate upgrading from our older technology to the latest version of Denali accounting software.
Christine M.
Controller
Logistics and Supply Chain, 11-50 employees
May 9, 2017

“I've had a pretty great experience so far with Denali, ”

ProsThe system is user friendly and pretty easy to navigate. I like that I can add modules at anytime. The customer service is fantastic!
ConsI would like to be able to customize my own reports. But it may be that I'm not familiar enough yet with the reporting to realize there is a report out there that is what I'm looking for. I'm still new finding my way around.
May 9, 2017