SugarCRM Ratings

Overall
3.5/5
3.5/5

About SugarCRM

Deployed by 2 million individuals in over 120 countries, and PC Mag Business Choice Best CRM Software Award for the fourth year running, the only CRM software that readers would strongly recommend to their peers. Sugar is for the disruptors, the innovators and the visionaries. Sugar offers an industry-leading customer experience, a simple interface and an intuitive customization platform. Learn more about SugarCRM

Josh B.
Sales support Mgr
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
March 16, 2017

“SugarCRM Review - Walz Scale”

OverallWe have been using Sugar for several years, but only in the past six months have we really dug down to fully utilize the software. The tool is fairly simple to use, I like the reporting functions, but the feedback I get from my sales team is that it is just 'clunky' to use. I'll give you one little example. For the Opportunity 'Actual Closed Won' date, I found through coming across some bad sales data for the month, that if you close a sale in January, and that same month you mark it as Closed Won. But lets say in March you want to go in and add a note to the description. Once you edit that note, (thus changing the Modify date) you autimatically changed the 'Actual Closed Won' date to March. Really messes up sales reports! When I contacted Sugar, there really wasnt an easy fix. We found SierraCRM (third part software) and Bill Convis from there helped with a solution to this problem. We have now purchased this software and believe that this will help take us to the next level of using Sugar. Sugar Support via email is usually pretty prompt, but as far as hearing from our 'Account Manager', just 2 weeks ago was the first time I heard from someone regarding our account. At that point, I had already reached out to SierraCRM, so I did not need anything from Sugar. To summarize: Great tool, though a little clunky, but the price is not bad. Customer service could be improved, especially for companies like us who are invested in the process, and just need some help taking our sales process to the next level. Thanks!
ProsI like the Online (sugar on demand) that allows Sugar Support to get into your software and look and something you may be struggling with, like reports...
ConsDesign is little clunky. Think with some improvements, it might be easier to convert leads, update opportunities. Need less clicks!
Recommendations to other buyersImprove customer service by having Account Mgrs reach out to key accounts and see what they might be struggling with.
Joe T.
Help Desk Coordinator
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
March 16, 2017

“Great For Sales and Leads Tracking, Leaves Much to Be Desired with Support Case Management”

OverallI've used SugarCRM a great deal in current and previous employers, and have always been thrilled with the sales tools that SugarCRM has, and the great ability for customizations, not to mention the continuing updates for each version. Their customer support team is top notch and very helpful for the most part, and there has been very little downtime, allowing all our teams to use the product successfully. If I could choose one thing they could improve upon, it would be their outdated case management tools. I work with our support team and find the options to be limiting compared to other case management solutions such as Zendesk (which I have also used previously). If I am to point out glaring specifics, it would be tracking visibility on unassigned cases (who is viewing each case record? has the case record been updated while I've viewed it?). It would also be the absolute poor setup of getting cases into Sugar -- we have an inbox set to automatically add in cases, but if a customer or one of our personnel doesn't email directly from inside Sugar's Email module, it creates a new case ticket (over and over). This may be a byproduct of the way we have our case management set up, but there are no best practices, and I've had to create custom Process Author tools and Workflows to get it running in a decent way. Again, the product is great from a sales point of view and for lead tracking tools, but the case management tools are dated and need to be examined and looked at to match their competitors in that category.
ProsSales tools, lead tracking tools, reporting features are second to none Module builder is fantastic and very customizable.
ConsCase management tools are lacking to a high degree, very dated
Recommendations to other buyersThis software is a mostly great well-rounded CRM, and their support team is fantastic with any questions.
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
May 26, 2019

“Indeed a great CRM with effective results”

OverallOverall my experience with this CRM is great. I am using it daily and I can say that my daily work is incomplete without it. It is so simple to use and provides amazing results for reports and dashboards, their customer's support team is very responsive.
ProsI am using it for more than three years and like almost everything about it. This CRM is very easy to use because of its simple design and easy to use user interface. I like the way SugarCRM provides reports and dashboards which is very easy to understand. SugarCRM provides secruity of data and information and now I can handle the different campaigns, create a different campaign for anyone and even get a complete picture of it very easily.
ConsI would like to highlight one thing that I dislike about it which is its overall cost. A small organization may not afford this CRM but overall it is worth to spend on it.
May 26, 2019
Damion W.
Marketing Manager
Biotechnology, 201-500 employees
June 6, 2019

“SugrCRM: Bst yur busnss”

OverallTh Sugr ltfrm wrks vry wll nd s qut slbl rss rgnztns f ll szs.
ProsEllnt dtbs systm. Cn b d t thr srvrs. Custm flds. Ablty t lnk CRM dt t dls. Gd usr ntrf. W us SugrCRM s ur rmry tl n trkng ltns, dtrmnng lgblty, nd mngng ymnts fr hldrn n ublly fundd rshl rgrms. Althugh t ws rmrly dsgnd s sls tl, w us t lss s fr sls (gvn tht w r nt sls rgnztn) nd mr s rltnsh mngmnt nd untng tl. W hv vry smll tm (10 l ttl), but w ll us Sugr n dly bss.
ConsRlly, rlly fnd t hssl (t lst rght nw) t syn Sugr wth ur mrktng utmtn sftwr. W us 3rd rty API s ur nntr btwn th tw systms but I fnd glths n t tht nrn m nd mk m wndr f ll my nfrmtn s bng urtly trnsmttd nd mthd u. Sugr wsn't vry ntutv whn I frst bgn usng t. W rntly hd 3rd rty m n t rdsgn th systm fr us nd n t ws ustmzd, t ws muh bttr. Srh funtn dsn't lwys sm t wrk n th t nv br- frustrtng whn I'm tryng t fnd smthng fst nd dn't wnt t g nt mdul t d t.
June 6, 2019
Victoria G.
Receptionist
Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees
February 11, 2019

“Excellent Community CRM”

OverallSugarCRM Community edition has been a great daily driver for my music business. It's reliable, and has enough functionality to enable me to record all the key data that I need. The ability to self-host the platform is fantastic, because it helps keep costs down, and when you work on a small-scale, you don't need all of the processing power of a paid hosted solution. Definitely a great option if you have the savvy to install and maintain your own instance on your web server.
ProsI used the self-hosted community CRM for several years for my own music business. It has a ton of functionality that matches a lot of the basic features you find in Salesforce Classic. It's a great tool for keeping track of client data, deal tracking, etc. It's also nice to be able to self-host the platform as well as it's a lot more affordable than using a paid SaaS solution.
ConsSugarCRM Community Edition looks pretty dated. If you don't have a lot of experience with the typical CRM data model concept, it can be hard to figure out how to use the system. The interface could be modernized to make it easier to navigate and find your way around. Another downside to being the Community Edition is that you need to know how to install and maintain the platform on your own server, but this is also a plus if you do have these skills.
February 11, 2019
Chris C.
Computer Networking, 1-10 employees
February 17, 2017

“Bargain paid open source CRM with lots of power”

OverallIn my opinion, one of the top two open source CRM apps. A responsive web interface which works the same on all smartphones tablets laptops and desktop computers, no app required. The CRM of choice used by many upstart aggressive disruptive companies of all sizes. Highly cost effective, and expandable with tons of third party PHP modules available from the SugarOutfitters app store, such as connectors to your phone system, document system, marketing automation, reports, social media, etc. A complete bargain when compared with the usual salesforce which runs inside a restricted environment. Way more customizable because you have the wide ranging freedom of adding the latest innovations of PHP code to strengthen and automate your CRM.
ProsOpen source roots. Benefits from the rising tide of PHP innovations which let you keep up to date by adding new modules for a very affordable prices. There is a massive community of PHP developers available to help build custom modules for you for cheap prices, if you don't have PHP programming skills.
ConsIt can take some time to get used to how to use it. Also, it's too bad the free SugarCRM CE (Community Edition) version 6.5.25 is somewhat outdated, and updated only to fix security bugs. Although, it's about 75% the same features as the paid current version of SugarCRM Pro 7.8.
Recommendations to other buyersBefore buying, you really should take a free test drive for 2 weeks or so, and see how you like it.
February 17, 2017
Mark S.
Team Lead Manager
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
August 9, 2019

“SugarCRM for great for the marketing emails.”

OverallSugarCRM is so great software because it really help us to taking our sales process more faster. It really allow the small business companies to track sales, invoices, bills and market to our customers in a better way. This CRM is so easy to use just because of its great users interface. Hence, SugarCRM software makes my life so much easier.
ProsSugarCRM is one of the best marketing platform which really help small business to grow faster and that's why it is also known as the business market smarter software. The best thing about this software is that it always provide the best customer relationships marketing software. We have been use the SugarCRM software foor the sales and marketing purpose because it has the great ability to customization's. Hence, the users interface is very responsive and the well designed.
ConsThe first obvious thing I don't like about this software is that SugarCRM does not have a users-friendly users interface software. The another problem that we faced is that it take a lot of time to setup the everything but the documentations is always great. When we started using this software then we don't find the file manager as so intuitive.
August 9, 2019
Elisabeth H.
Director, Member Support and Training
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
May 2, 2019

“Even the free version is great, with nice custom reporting capabilities.”

OverallSugar allowed us to consolidate a few disparate software tools into one - now any one at our organization can login and see all there is to know about any of our customers!
ProsSugar is SUPER customizable. We've been able to easily make it ours (some via the UI, some "behind the scenes" via scripts). One of the best features are the custom reports. You can do almost SQL-level queries to get the information you want (and if you wish, you can use MySQL as well on the back end.) The ability to build multi-level dropdowns, e.g. to categorize issues, is great too. You can make almost anything you want appear on any screen you wish as well.
ConsThe built-in issue tracking part is designed for issues reported by your team - not for issues reported by your customers. We do use it for customer support, and we LOVE being able to see issues customers have had when we pull up their records - but the emails they receive are not well designed, even after considerable work on our part. In addition, we can't provide them with a login to see all their open issues, so they have to ask us.
May 2, 2019
Dominic R.
Systems Architect
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
June 25, 2018

“A good open source CRM, but lacking modernization”

OverallIt allowed us as a small business to track, bill, and market to our customers and potential customers.
ProsOf course you can't beat free when it comes to software. There are so many open-source applications out there that you can almost always find one that meets your needs in this day and age. SugarCRM has been around a long time and has become a mature CRM with all the basics you'd expect. It even handles customization fairly well. Dashboards are great for tracking the simply stuff and you can build your own as well.
ConsSugarCRM has now split into 2 tracks. There's a paid-for premium version that is typically hosted by SugarCRM. Then there's the Community Edition that's still open-source and free. For years they co-existed side-by-side perfectly fine, but a few years back, SugarCRM decided to stop updating the Community Edition. CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.
June 25, 2018
July 13, 2018

“Sugar was one of my first forays into the world of CRM and covers all the basics”

OverallI learned how to work a CRM. I kept track of all customer records, ranging from revenue and profit and order amount and contact list and order dates and essentially everything related to my job operationally as a purchasing coordinator. Definitely made my life easier.
ProsVery customizable to your needs. Straightforward, no nonsense UI. Easy to read and find things. Sugar is a perfect entry into CRMs that aren't salesforce, because its useful across all industries and departments. Its simple while being complex. You can create functions and layouts that are very specific to your needs, but without it cluttering and looking like there's a lot of information.
ConsIts not very pretty. Sort of looks like it was made in the early 200s and they just kept the look since. People are always talking about professionalism, and this definitely looks less polished than other CRMs. Because of this, some of the information can blend together and be difficult to find if there are long lists of things you are looking for.
July 13, 2018
Juan F.
Especialista de Sistemas SharePoint
1001-5000 employees
April 26, 2018

“I have made product configurations for a company that provides technical consulting services”

OverallManagement of all information related to customers and sales in a single software in a centralized manner that can be accessed by any type of device in real time, providing valuable information for decision making made by the management controls
ProsThe tool is intuitive and very easy to use, there is the option to use the cloud in a private server or use the software tool as a service, it has a variety of modules to carry out the management of clients, such as sales, marketing campaigns, opportunities, potential customers, everything related to meetings and appointments to be carried out by sales executives, among others. It has a module to carry out project management related to opportunities and contributions made. It also has a version for mobile devices that allows you to review information or keep the information of the CRM updated from the comfort of the smart phone and / or tablet. It has the ability to add new fields to the forms by further personalizing the tool, there is a version in which you can by role display a certain form. It has the capacity to extend it by adding new modules
ConsIt has a module to record tasks, which can be used for assigning different activities to employees, in this part you may be able to add some type of SLA and in this way to measure the time it takes for users to complete tasks according to the assignment date and the SLAs registered for a specific type of task. Workflows are very basic for the professional version
April 26, 2018
Vince P.
Director of IT
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
September 8, 2017

“SugarCRM Review”

OverallOne of the main benefits is having the mobile app that SugarCRM provides this helped to get us data and information at our fingertips when needed. Sugar is reasonably priced, has pretty good user-friendly interfaces and requires just a little training to get used to it. It's more suitable for mid-sized companies.
ProsSugarCRM functioned well for storing prospect and customer information. I was able to load new contacts into the system without much hassle. Our company is able to adjust the system software to fit our specific needs with ease simply by reaching out to the support team.
ConsWe wanted to explore other CRM options it was nearly impossible for me, from a user standpoint, to export all of our information. We were coming up on the end of our trial and stood to lose all of our data and I couldn't figure out how to export it. Difficult to do filters as well. I didn't like the format for leads to accounts to sales. Pipeline is also difficult to follow.
September 8, 2017
James M.
Marketing
November 26, 2012

“Best CRM I've Ever Used”

OverallStarting at $30/user/month - this is by far the best value I've seen on the market for sales and marketing CRM software. It's not Salesforce.com which is a good thing because Sugar is easier to implement, easier to use, a fraction of the price, and does just about everything that higher end systems can do if you're creative and work with a partner to tailor the application to your business like we did.
ProsWe are a Sugar CRM reseller but this review is from my perspective as a user of this fantastic software. Most CRM is the same functionally - manage accounts, contacts, opportunities, etc. But what sets Sugar apart from the rest of them are three fundamental things: 1. Simplicity - Sugar CRM is clean. It's super easy to get any information you need without needing your IT guy to build you a custom report. 2. Customization - Every business is different and you need your CRM system to adapt to you. Sugar Studio makes tailoring your software easy - even if you're not that technical. Dare I say - even a marketing or sales person could do it. 3. Plug-Ins - There are tons of plug-and-play add-ons to extend SugarCRM in virtually any area - support desk, email marketing, and much more. We use Inbox25 for email marketing and are leaning toward InsideView for integrated list management but there are so many other options to consider.
ConsWe are using the hosted, On Demand version which limits our access to source modifications (somewhat). We have been able to work around all of these so far. If we get to a point where we need more access to modify the underlying program we can always bring the product in-house and customize to our hearts content. There have been a few minor bugs that we've found - certainly no more than we had in our previous CRM system but Sugar's support team had them resolved - almost immediately!
November 26, 2012
Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees
February 12, 2019

“Sugar CRM Review”

OverallSugar seemed like a really awesome CRM with exciting features, but it was very time consuming to make sure everything was in and done correctly that it just became a headache and took focus off of selling.
ProsSugar had a lot of cool features that I had not seen in other crm's I've used in the past. When they worked, it allowed me to quickly see my month and goals and see what I had in my pipeline still. Also, it was fairly easy to use while driving in the car between appointments and quickly type in a review of what I met with the accounts about.
ConsQuit often the software features that we nice to have were either not accurate or not working. The idea of having it was nice but it was annoying when I had no idea what was correct with my numbers. Also, it took quite a long time to find certain accounts and many of them were duplicated in the system and you must pay close attention to the account number to make sure it was the right one. Also, putting in tasks and calls were done separately so our management team required that we basically put in one contact with an account twice to make sure it was on our calendar and the pipeline.
February 12, 2019
Machinery, 11-50 employees
November 2, 2018

“Review of SugarCRM”

OverallDatabases are complete and it definitely solved some issues with sales pipeline tracking. The software is extremely expensive to customize using certified Sugar partners, it's not intuitive enough to customize in-house. The system does not do everything that was advertised to us
ProsThere is a lot of potential here, it is possible to create automated business processes, highly customizable reports, and creates high visibility of sales pipeline.
ConsYou really need to be a basic-intermediate level programmer to customize this software in house. Sales rep told us the mobile app would auto log both incoming and outgoing calls. There is no way to auto-log incoming calls and it will only auto-log outgoing calls if you use the app to make the call. In addition the training provided was not comprehensive and going to an outside company to assist with problems, set up or any other technical support is extremely expensive. They give you just enough rope to hang yourself.
November 2, 2018
Insurance, 1001-5000 employees
July 20, 2018

“Great CRM, but the FREE version is the best”

OverallThe main benefits I got from this software was the ability to keep my contacts all in one place. It was excellent in scheduling tasks, creating contacts, assigning tasks, etc.
ProsThe thing I liked best about the Sugar CRM Community Edition that is free is that our developers could customize it for our company and add great features, something we can't do with the big name CRM solutions.
ConsThe thing I like the least about this software is it is very limited in features which makes their competitors a better bargain. Additionally, the functionality can be off. For example, our developers had difficulty incorporating some features into their free CE because of bugs. I have heard from others the paid version is overpriced, not worth it, and there are other better options out there.
July 20, 2018
Bud H.
Principal
Logistics and Supply Chain, 51-200 employees
February 15, 2018

“Easy to implement, easy to customize, product support is OUTSTANDING”

OverallBetter Customer Satisfaction from effective management of touch points. Sales productivity because they spend less time doing "paperwork" and more time selling. Effective management of RGA process, Special Quotes, Purchasing, mailing literature, tracking sales activity.
ProsBuilt-in development tool (Studio) and the Advanced Workflow Manager. One can have a functional, useful, robust, effective, CRM running within an hour. Getting started by importing Accounts and Contacts is easy and the software modules allows customization the meet specific business needs.
ConsThe Advanced Workflow Manager is still missing a few functions that were available in the "old" Workflow Manager. There is a plan to remove the prior Workflow, but its demise has been delayed until the SugarCRM folks fix the deficiencies.
February 15, 2018
Nathan F.
Business Supplies and Equipment, 51-200 employees
January 9, 2017

“Good CRM Tool - Self hosted using a Windows/SQL stack.”

OverallIt has worked well and really empowered our sales process. For the first time, we are able to easily see where a pursuit is in the sales process. Overall, it has increased our team selling and made communication more efficient across the selling team. Sugar has a good base and framework to build out marketing automation, which is driving better market awareness and sales than before.
ProsSugar is easily customized and the option to host on-site is not available by a lot of other CRM providers. We are able to synchronize a lot of data from our existing business software easily by directly accessing the SQL database. With the cloud version, we would have had to write code utilizing the CRM API to synchronize everything. Building all of that would have been significantly more expensive for us. From both the Admin and user perspectives, the software is very easy to learn and intuitive. Our users are very happy with the new software and easy it is to use.
January 9, 2017
Automotive, 11-50 employees
September 6, 2018

“SugarCRM is a usefull CRM tool”

ProsSince the latest updates it became very user friendly compared to previous interfaces, it has several modules you can purchase and also customize to your own needs, given that these are designed correctly. The latest version of the App is really good and saves a lot of time in you are on the road.
ConsIt was not the simplest thing to connect it to a Dashboard service and also to setup reports, but once you set it up runs pretty smoothly. It might have been an issue with my company's server but it ran incredibly slow when outside company's internet, being very frustrating to use on the go. The Outlook Add-on never worked properly and made my outlook crash all the time, finally removed it.
September 6, 2018
Jim B.
Construction, 11-50 employees
March 20, 2017

“Sugar user for 5 years”

OverallOverall, Sugar has worked pretty well for us. As with most customizable software, it is all about the implementer and getting it set up well. If we had worked to get other areas more integrated, I would rate it higher. We are a smaller company (15 users), and do not have a " Sugar champion" other than the president. Reporting module is easy to use, the mobile app is (now) pretty good. We recently looked at the other major CRM apps, and chose to continue with Sugar. We are making some much needed changes to our Sugar instance, which will help with utilization.
ProsPretty easy to use, robust mobile app, good reporting.
ConsSome basic functionality is missing, ie, had to write a custom report/fields to be able to see when the last time a contact was contacted (email, meeting or phone).
March 20, 2017
Michael G.
VP - Business Development
Insurance, 11-50 employees
March 16, 2017

“Awesome product for any business.”

OverallI have been using SugarCRM for several companies. What stood out to me is the functionality you are getting right out of the box you are getting everything you need for the fraction of competitor's price. I would rate customer support 6 stars, they are always on top, extremely fast, and even providing you with the solutions for 3rd party applications. Another big thing is ability easily integrate SugarCRM with your own applications or install custom plugins. API functionality is quite impressive and easy to use, we have done a lot of integrations and automation in our company. I recommend SugarCRM to everyone who wants to take his/her business to the next level, and actually see what is happening in the organization, and why.
ProsFunctionality and API is impressing
ConsUI is slow for 2017. Need to speed up the response time.
Jon P.
CRM Admin
Financial Services, 201-500 employees

“SugarCRM Enterprise Analysis”

OverallBeing an open source CRM app with flexible deployment options makes SugarCRM unique and a standalone in the CRM space. However, allowing for such flexibility should require the utmost discipline regarding release schedules, changes to code (especially caching mechanisms), and overall system recommendation documentation provided by SugarCRM, the company. This is not currently happening. Stock code base is fairly solid but when customizations are added, significant caching issues arise. There are also various areas of the app that still retain antiquated layouts (bwc modules). These issues make the app confusing and unreliable at times. Support should be more tenacious when attempting to find resolution to cases - don't just post a note or two, wait a period of time and close the case. CALL the customer - email the customer - do whatever it takes to get CONFIRMATION from the customer that the issue is resolved. Create a server side integration to Outlook...we are a 50/50 Mac/PC shop and email archiving is incredibly inconsistent. Overall Studio is a great tool (when caching works appropriately). It does allow us to create without developers on staff.
ProsStudio (when it works) Open source flexibility
ConsCaching mechanisms Lack of long term release schedule and small version life cycles Support not owning the initiative of resolving cases

By SugarCRM on March 16, 2017
John, First off, thanks for being a long time Sugar user. Kasasa's use case is very in-depth and a model of what our flexible platform can achieve. Regarding the server-side email - have you looked at Riva? https://sugarexchange.sugarcrm.com/apps/21848#!overview Also, I know we are working on server-side versions of the Outlook plugin, but release date is TBD. Thanks again for your honest and thorough review - we always strive to make the product the best we can and provide the level of service you expect. Email me at any time to discuss further at mschneider@sugarcrm.com. Sincerely, Martin Schneider Head of Product Evangelism, SugarCRM
Hailey M.
Corporate Accounts Manager
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
March 16, 2017

“My favorite CRM option but not the easiest for employees to navigate....”

OverallWe have been using Sugar for almost 8 years and have been happy with it. The workflow consistently causes issues and the options for employee files is limited. We also here lots of negatives from our employees on user-friendliness however, the admin love its functionality.
ProsThe file retention, the report capabilities
ConsThe 'breaks' in workflow
Recommendations to other buyersThe appearance of the platform could be upgraded so it was more 'attractive' to users

By SugarCRM on March 16, 2017
Hailey, Thanks for your review - I'd love to learn more about which version you are using - as the Sugar 7.x upgrade is focused almost entirely on user experience, look and feel :) Also, has your firm looked into Advanced Workflow? It is far more stable and reliable than the predecessor. Email me at mschneider@sugarcrm.com with any and all questions anytime! Martin Schneider Head of Product Evangelism, SugarCRM
Ryan C.
Technician
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
November 7, 2016

“Very Customizable CRM software.”

OverallWe use CRM to track our sales leads, current customer support and create mass mailing lists. It is a very powerful tool when used correctly.
ProsIt is a very robust systems that can be used for tracking customer support, sales and contact management.
ConsBecause of it customizable nature, it can be set up incorrectly by the end user. For this reason, it is very important to have someone in house that is very Sugar savvy to ensure it works the way you need it to. When updates are delivered, it commonly knocked us down for a few days while we implemented changes to make everything work again.
Recommendations to other buyersDo your homework ahead of time before buying any CRM. If you have the groundwork in place before you start using your new CRM, it makes the entire process run smoother.
November 7, 2016
Rusty W.
February 28, 2015

“A Less Expensive Alternative With Most Of The Same Features”

ProsI like the commercial open source nature of the product. You can download the open source edition - which is quite functional - and get a very good feel for what it does. In fact, the free version is like sufficient for most small businesses. The product is feature-rich - comparable to the alternative from a feature standpoint, but much less expensive. I also like the fact we can host the application in-house giving us absolution control over the data and integrations with our other applications.
ConsWhile not a fault of the vendor or product - you do need to be aware the ecosystem supporting SugarCRM is much smaller than the entrenched giants. We've not found this to be an issue - but for someone looking to "go with the crowd," you might want to consider this.
Recommendations to other buyersAny CRM requires work - and an operations person to maintain the CRM, the data, and the workflows (and ensure they are enforced). When considering your CRM solution, be sure to account for the time needed to keep it fully functional; otherwise, in a year or two - you'll find you have so much "bad data" in the system you won't be able to make sense of the "good data".
February 28, 2015
Yeni O.
Product Engineer
July 23, 2018

“We re-engineered Sugar to work with our sales process.”

Pros SugarCRM makes it easy for the sales department to save information about customers and clients ,and follow up with service cases.Fantastic customer support team ,and as administrator,I am glad at how helpful the SugarCRM team has been to me over the years. SugarCRM is open source too,and thus we have been able to tweak this Customer Relationship Management system ,to fit into our current business environment and in-house sales process.And I think this is the best part of this CRM.
ConsAverage user interface. However since it is an open source solution ,it is probably very much expected.
July 23, 2018
Marie B.
Offfice Manager
Medical Devices, Unspecified

“Office Manager”

OverallSince the last update our page has too much blank space. We were told there is nothing we could do about it. I think we should be able to Bold words and or sentences. Also, We used to be able to copy and past and it does not allow that anymore.
ProsThere does not see be a lot of down time. In other words it is very seldom out of service. The format is good since we can customize it. Customer service is fast, professional and courteous.
ConsWe should be able to BOLD or Underline . We need more color options. We need to be able to highlight within our comment section. We cannot cut and paste like we used to be able to do.
Recommendations to other buyersSee my fist comments on first page.
Ian B.
Vice President, Fishbowl Partner Nation
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
May 15, 2019

“This was always going to be a stepping stone for us”

OverallImplementation was rough, but most of that was on us. We should have hired a consultant and had rock solid best practices in place, but we didn't. Growth and support was a nightmare because we didn't employ a full timer with the right skill set to maintain it. Have since corrected those mistakes and moved to SalesForce. So much better!
ProsA big step up from our legacy CRM (ACT). With the right resources, it was manageable.
ConsWe did not allocate the right resources and opted to implement the free community version. We paid for that dearly with disorganization and mistakes. We should have hired a consultant to help us.
May 15, 2019
Ifeoma O.
Developer
1001-5000 employees
July 9, 2018

“Sugar is opensource and I love it.”

Pros SugarCRM is opensource this gives myself and the technical department in my organization the freedom to develop on this platfrom , without being hindered by technology ,programming language or a restricted API. Sugar effectively manages every communication we have with sales leads and customers. Over the years ,we have been able to tweak Sugar to work with our internal sales process , thus everyone in the sales and marketing department is glad to work with our in-house improved CRM - Sugar.
ConsThe user interface is outdated ,obviously since it is open source ; it didn't come as a surprise to me. However ,barring this ; the sales department works effectively with Sugar.
July 9, 2018
Leah S.
Tech Support
Wholesale, 51-200 employees
November 28, 2017

“I like SugarCRM, we use it in my workplace for many applications”

OverallAn easy way for a business to manage their customers. It can be as custom or out of the box as they want to make it.
ProsI like that I can add lots of features and functionality myself, including whole new custom modules. As my workplace deals with lots of custom items Sugar fills our custom needs. Our reseller has been fantastic in keeping that custom functionality.
ConsI dislike that we are able to edit default field formulas at all without an easy "restore." I think this makes it easy for a developer to make a small mistake that can cause the instance to stop being "upgrade safe." I wish customizing the color, notifications and "logos" were easy to change in an ondemand instance. I also want the global search function to be more consistent.
Chad K.
Digital Print Expert
Printing, 51-200 employees
November 28, 2017

“We started using the basic online software and built it up from there. Use is up as are sales.”

OverallWe understand more about the daily activities of traveling and phone based salespeople and can be regularly updated with notes. Tech work is easily tracked and shared company wide instead of being branch based. Email and phone lists are easily generated to focus on specific groups.
ProsBoth salespeople and management are able to use the information generated to increase sales and look for new opportunities.
ConsNot being a programmer, it can sometimes take a lot of work to tweak the program to specific ideas. Integrating old information that is not in Sugar categories had to be done manually and took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort.
Gabriel B.
Sales Rep
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
October 27, 2018

“Too many functionalities ”

OverallIt's a really complete tool for CRM management, it's clear on what are the basics, but to get more benefits on the added value the propose you need to deep dive into the different layers of the software. Overall is very easy to use.
ProsIt has a lot of features that give an holistic way of keeping track of customers leads, also it has multi device interfaces which makes it amazing for on the run salespersons.
Constoo many functionalities that you don't really use, I think because of a lack of education on the software. Also the exporting files need to be fixed on format and layout.
October 27, 2018
François B.
DBA
Pharmaceuticals, 1001-5000 employees
February 12, 2018

“Free has value”

OverallGreat tool to manage relations with customers and follow-ups, brought some visibility where it was lacking.
ProsExtremely configurable, vastly customizable, lots of modules available, large online community, free version.
ConsThe only sad part about it is that all the captions used for drop-down lists (Or radio buttons or any multiple choice controls) are stored straight to PHP pages and not in the database (So in MySql you end up having only keys but no trace of the long values). There is some workaround (Nightly job to extract and copy those in a table), but it's a hassle.
February 12, 2018
Eddie W.
Associate Attorney
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
February 22, 2019

“Great CRM for any field”

OverallThis has been very useful to maintain digital client files and to monitor the work on client cases.
ProsIt can be personalized for your particular company or organization. The fields can be easily edited and it is extremely easy to run reports. The notes function is very easy to use. You can also connect emails to sugar and save emails. The calendar function is very useful as well.
ConsThere are more lags and "time outs" than I've seen with some other software. However, the issue is usally addressed fairly quickly.
February 22, 2019
George D.
Printing, 11-50 employees
November 28, 2017

“For me, it was Salesforce vs. Sugar CRM. SugarCRM is half the cost, and does the same job.”

OverallI run my entire company using this CRM system.
ProsVery flexible and easy to edit. Fast response time on queries (I use the OnDemand cloud version). Good support for SugarCRM staff. And there are many integrations and plugins that enhance the experience.
ConsLot of 3rd party integrations and customizations can "break" as Sugar goes through upgrades. The Word and Outlook Add-ins are a bit awkward and time consuming -- but they do work as advertised. Sometime there is constant re-logging in to make them work.
David K.
Solutions Specialist
July 18, 2017

“Lot of tinker around and slow hosting”

OverallIt was a great place to store leadscontacts/and track opportunity pipelines
ProsIt has very comprehensive help docs and the answer was always available. It offered a lot of customization with little experience in managing CRM.s
ConsIt was very very slow when running through Sugar's own servers. We had to pay a 3rd party to host this elsewhere which was lame because we were not managing very many people of leads. Not ideal for cold calling, it was pretty clunky to track many calls per day. Some of the more intense marketing automation stuff was not very intuitive, they made up a lot of their own language and had some annoying steps to get things done that were not always clear.
July 18, 2017
Brad F.
IT Manager
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
March 16, 2017

“As simple or as complex as you want, Sugar CRM works great”

OverallHaving used both the on-site version and the cloud-based version, I can honestly say that Sugar can adapt to any environment for any possible restrictions. Like all CRM, it does have its learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you find that you can do all of your CRM related tasks and management fairly easily and quickly. That you can write custom code for it was a huge plus for us, and when we updated to the newest version, Sugar Support was of tremendous help getting our old code to work with the new version. All in all, Sugar CRM is pretty great. If you're considering using CRM, give Sugar a try, you may be surprised.
ProsCustomization.
ConsThe learning curve.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
July 20, 2019

“Outdated”

ProsThey are continuously making updates and improvements, and support is very responsive. There are a lot of different modules and TONS of flexibility in setting it up to fit your business.
ConsThis isn't for a novice user. I recommend using a consultant or someone to set this up for you and spend the extra money and time on training. Most of our employees are only using small functions of the program and we definitely could be getting more value out of it with better training.
July 20, 2019
Mike D.
Director, University Transportation
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
January 8, 2019

“Only as good as organizational buy-in permits”

ProsSugar really can be customized to fit any organization or department. When fully utilized, it can "connect the dots" between various siloed departments that otherwise would not share information. The record search function works well. Your mileage may vary w/r/t interface speed, but I found it to be pretty zippy as far as CRMs go.
ConsSugar requires a LOT of work to implement and quite a bit of training after the fact. The potential of SugarCRM is limited to the capabilities of the team using it. If the organization is less tech-savvy, you will encounter a lot of pushback as builds can be somewhat counterintuitive until you are comfortable with it. Each iteration of SugarCRM i've seen has a lot of under or non-utilized features just gathering dust. Given the cost I can conceive of better solutions.
January 8, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
September 27, 2018

“Sugar CRM”

OverallI can do almost everything I need
ProsWhat I like most is that we can create reports easier, I can create new custom fields and add functions. I like the workflow - I added for send emails to an admin account to report when a opportunitie is closed and is part of a project - and this email creates a new record in my project system. I can create Modules as I need
ConsIs very difficult to work with the API´s´, at this moment i cant work with them . and IT Sugar support is not helping me. The thing i Dont like if you want to create a Report Type:Summary you cannot add the Text Fields, is not showing in the system, this type field in the version 7.0 it was added but in the new version is not there any more, and I reported this to Sugar Support but they do not do anything, I think is a kind of a bug but they are not doing anything.
September 27, 2018
Valerie P.
Project Lead
June 13, 2018

“In the past, I have been a SugarCRM administrator for a Software Sales company.”

OverallThe software itself was a great place to house my data in an organized fashion. I was able to report upon the data, and additionally could assign and reassign accounts and contacts with ease. This was a value driven solution for my company at the time, since Salesforce was too pricey.
ProsThere is a lot of simplicity with using SugarCRM. It was straightforward, and user friendly. The value of the product is pretty good for what you are paying, and it is relatively easy to administer. There are different directions you can go with reporting, for example: tabular, summary and matrix report types. I integrated this CRM with Pardot Marketing Automation software and was not disappointed with the integration, as it worked pretty seamlessly together.
ConsThis CRM obviously is more economic than the likes of Salesforce - but you get what you pay for. I found it difficult to manage my duplicate records, and a lot of the bells and whistles that could potentially make your work flow easier are not present. I would consider this a "bare bones" CRM solution.
June 13, 2018
Avishay "Jesse" S.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
April 4, 2018

“Awesome CRM at both the enterprise level as well as at SMB; even startups could benefit from it. ”

OverallVery easy to use, gives a lot of benefits for its price. I would definitely recommend others to use it (and I do :-)).
ProsVery easy to use, very easy to migrate data. Adding leads to the system is as easy as 1, 2, 3 and following up is very easy since there are very good notifications that could be sent to your email (which means they could be sent to your smartphone as well, hehe :-)).
ConsNaturally, there's a learning curve and the need to customize the system to show the right data and not an abundance of it. Some people may think it's a little dull or outdated, especially in terms of overall UX but I think the simplicity is the key deal maker here.
Alejandro H.
Networking Manager
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
February 1, 2018

“Have too much to config and set up, rgreat custom stuff but kinda plain and boring”

Overallif you need an online crm this can do good for you, Others are also less expensive but with less features.
ProsIs a very good software at least the on-demand version I use. as a CRM is very good but it also tries to be a help desk and it is not. very reliable and love to extract the raw data to excel and do whatever I want with the data
ConsMuch complicated, too much to customize, and configurate, the access levels and roles are not easy to set up. takes times to deploy, and cost per seat, is kinda expensive.
February 1, 2018
Michael R.
Marketing Coordinator / CRM Admin
51-200 employees
November 28, 2017

“I can't see working with out a CRM now that I've been introduced to Sugar”

OverallOur sales team spends less time in the office and more time out in the field, but armed with powerful data before venturing on cold calls.
ProsIt's easy to use and I like the functionality and customization ability. Our Sugar instance appears to have been customized for our industry. Adding drop-down menus and removing modules is simple and easy to learn if your not familiar with CRMs in general.
ConsImporting data, even though properly mapped, doesn't always come out the way it should. It also would be nice if accounts would link with sub-panel data during the import phase. I also found pulling reports to be overly complicated, but like the addition of the report wizard.
Howard C.
Customer service rep
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

“Not struggling anymore”

OverallOur company utilizes SugarCRM to track service calls from our client base. We can now refer back to previous calls to monitor equipment efficiency and deficiencies. We can now eliminate the use of a client directory as SUGAR allows us to document all information within the software database. The other huge benefit is we can now automatically dispatch a call directly from the client case we have created. Our technicians receive an email with all information to fill out a service order including a PO number for quick payment. Our help desk has become very streamlined because of SUGAR and we are considering expanding the other options available to departments such as parts and administration. Very pleased with SugarCRM!!
ProsVery user friendly and always being offered continued education on the use and benefits of the software.
ConsSometimes it is overwhelming but that's because there are so many parts and pieces to this software.
Recommendations to other buyersVideo tutorials
Max P.
Manager, Professional Services & IT
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
June 27, 2019

“The Defacto Source of Record for EVERYTHING at my old company.”

OverallMy old company used SugarCRM for everything. Part number records, customer interaction, test cases, build info, you name it. I got very used to it and really enjoyed using it and wish my other companies would use it instead of the pricey SalesForce.
ProsSugarCRM is easy and cheap to self host, very reliable and has nice addons, such as to an FTP client or Outlook, etc. It is easy to make your own add on as well.
ConsThe UI is very stale/ old looking although it did have a nice update a few year ago.
June 27, 2019
Real Estate, 51-200 employees
November 15, 2018

“An easy way to have records of you clients info, sales and follows up.”

OverallWhen I was working in real state, keeping track of the future clients, the clients that already bought and the cancelled contracts it was hard and overwhelming until we started to use CRM at the office. I would say that yes, even there are pros and it needs a lot of time in training to be able to use it, it is worthy!
ProsIt is a great app to follow track of all your clients, having all their contact information, the amount of sales, and being able to send massive advertisement emails to your customers.
ConsIt needs an intensive training to be able to use it as some functions requieres knowledgments that are not easy to learn for new users. It an expensive software.
November 15, 2018
Sarah P.
Account Manager
April 4, 2018

“Used SugarCRM Before Switching to SuiteCRM”

OverallThe ability to log and store information about clients was limitless.
ProsThis software took a bit to learn, but once you learned the logic behind the software, the reporting was very easy to use. There was the ability to store lots of information about a client, more than you could ever possibly need.
ConsThe software was pretty rigid; I was never aware of ways to make changes to it. The way that some of the information was organized was sometimes confusing.
Brian R.
Vice President Sales
December 8, 2017

“We used Sales Force in the past but had issues with shared views, not the case very user friendly”

OverallSuch a great user-friendly CSR dramatically helped us with our database and email/direct mailers.
ProsAbility to adapt, user friendly, ability to hold alot of documents per account. We used Sales Force in the past and had issues with shared views with representatives covering shared territory. That has not been the case with Sugar
Consphone application needs help. This is the only issue we have noticed it does't take all the required data so they the reps have to add more via PC
December 8, 2017
November 28, 2017

“Overall the product is good but fought with performance due to customizations.”

OverallIncreased data capture on our sales interactions.e
ProsWeb-based interface that is compatible with modern browsers, well-documented API, good user interface, a large number of integrations, good mobile applications.
ConsAPI is throttled too low for our ETL requirements, support, and overall experience-dependent upon third-party reseller quality. Customizations generally require programming and will cause continuous support issues as new releases will break customizations.