RTG Bills Ratings

Overall

About RTG Bills

RTG Bills is low-cost, Windows-based time and billing law firm software. Learn more about RTG Bills

Steve B.
September 9, 2019

“Great software. An even better value. A very satisfied customer.”

OverallAs a solo lawyer, I am able to create invoices using the desktop program (locally or via a remote desktop connection), and to enter time online using a mobile device or laptop PC. The purchase price for this software is great for solos who are attuned to maintaining low overhead, and who are keen to control all aspects of the invoicing process -- but the key feature, hands down, has been the unwavering technical support provided by the vendor.
ProsExtraordinarily flexible. Allows for the creation of a highly-personalized invoicing process. Responses to requests for support are provided without charge and usually within a matter of a few minutes (or, at most, within a few hours), with ongoing, interactive follow-ups. For my solo employment law practice, this software ticks all of the boxes. I have been using RTG Bills for seven years, and I have never experienced a single moment of disappointment by it or by the vendor.
ConsInitial set up for everyday usage is easy, and the typical solo attorney should have no problems quickly getting standard invoices out the door. Less conventional and non-standard billing arrangements which may involve a combination of hourly billing, contingency fees, benchmark or progress fees, and success fees require more persistence to properly set up. But free technical support has always been available to provide clear and patient guidance. I have no complaints.

By RTG Data Systems on September 11, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to write a really wonderful review! It is greatly appreciated.
September 9, 2019
Wojciech R.
president/owner
Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees
September 3, 2019

“RTG is what you need”

Overallsuper satisfied and happy, an excellent software for our small firm, it is oriented to lawyers, but we as engineers are working on hourly basis as well and this RTG keeps track of hour time and expenses very well. We use it to generate invoices/bills and for keeping track of hours billable and for non-billable overhead. At any moment can change bill format from long and detailed to a summary a few lines only. I contact representative and he replies almost right away, as if he never sleeps, super tech support, very friendly and understanding
Prosease of use, logic, screen arrangement, adaptability of custom forms after you learn a few basic steps. excellent tech support from rep with whom I have communicated very often over several years. low 'overhead' with graphics, just what you need to enter hours, short descriptions, how much you want to charge for fees or expenses or lump sum. I simply love it. It beats Quicken or Simply accounting for keeping accounts receivable. quick reports in many formats, can export to excel using it daily for several years, started with a floppy version, will not change it
Conscreating custom letterhead with colours/graphics, but rep gave me a trick to do it, and I am happily using it.

By RTG Data Systems on September 4, 2019
Thanks so much for that wonderful review. And thanks for using RTG Bills for over 19 years!
September 3, 2019
Frank G.
August 30, 2019

“Outstanding and affordable time & billing solution”

OverallFive years ago my old time & billing program, a relic written in BASIC before the turn of the century, would no longer run on my newer computers. I set out to find the latest and greatest. What I found were many very pricey SAAS (software as a service) programs which required a monthly outlay and ran in the cloud. While that may appeal to some, I prefer to own a license and keep my data local (subject to extensive backup protocols to protect it). RTG Bills checked all my boxes and I have been very happy with the ease of tracking my time and client expenses and payments. Everything is easy to do.
ProsFirst of all, it is extremely affordable. You purchase a license to use the software and, occasionally, pay to upgrade. No monthly fees or or hidden costs. Second, the service is OUTSTANDING. Whenever I have run into a problem or had a question, an email to rep and I get an answer almost immediately. Third, it is extremely customizeable. I was able to create my own service codes and format my bills and reports . If you have any questions, just ask representative and he will help you through it. Fourth, it is very comprehensive. I sometimes feel like I am only scratching the surface of its capabilities. Fifth, it has a small footprint, both for the program itself and the data files.
ConsI can't really think of anything. A sole practitioner, I don't pretend to know what larger (than one!) organizations need in time & billing software so I'll leave it to others to comment.

By RTG Data Systems on September 4, 2019
Thanks very much for the wonderful review. RTG also has one of those SaaS (Software as a Service) programs, RTG Bills Online. Ours isn't quite so pricey as the others. For anyone interested in that, we offer a 30-day free trial.
David B.
President/Owner
August 29, 2019

“Easiest Billing Software Made!”

OverallAt the end of the year, I take the RTG Bills total fees number and enter into an Excel spreadsheet and/or QuickBooks and can quickly produce a Profit and Loss Statement and a Schedule C. RTG Bills totally simplifies the reporting of income.
ProsI am a sole practitioner and I tried several billing software products. None were easy to set up or to use. Then I tried RTG Bills. Within 45 minutes, I was set up! And shortly after that, I was entering time and then producing bills. I have used various version of RTG Bills over the past ten years and have been extremely happy with the product. Also for law firms, if you need to create ebills for Serengeti, Legal Tracker, etc., RTG Bills has an ebilling component that works very well.
ConsI purchased a second license for another company I manage. I could not figure out how to show all of my clients on one page - even when I only had four clients. For some reason, it broke it into two pages.
Lenore G.
August 29, 2019

“Simple and Intuitive Legal Billing Software”

OverallAfter initial set-up, which was not difficult (following instructions in the tutorial), I have been able consistently to record time easily and accurately and to create bills almost effortlessly. I really don't even think about this application -- I just use it.
ProsThis was very easy to learn, thanks to a very clear tutorial, and is very easy to use. Before I used RTG Bills I used TimeSlips, which I found complicated and easy to screw up. The steps to follow to do anything are largely intuitive, although taking the tutorial in the beginning probably helped with that. Additionally, the lifetime free support has been inordinately helpful. While I have only used it perhaps three times in the 6+ years I have been using the software, I have always received a response within hours of sending the email, and the advice in the response has always solved my issue
ConsThere is not much to dislike about the software. I suppose that it is less flexible than some in designing one's bill, but I honestly don't care -- the bills look professional and are easy to read, which is what counts. I suppose there are things it will not do, but it does everything I need.
John A.

“Keeping it simple”

OverallI just like it
ProsI started using a timekeeping program to track both time and to keep a diary of what I was doing. It made me much more confident in making bills because I could show the clients my work including commentary if I wanted to. I remember writing to the company (the original Timeslips, not the current owners) thanking them for the product because my billing increased. Unfortunately to outdo competitors, the industry keeps putting unnecessary components that cloud the basis purpose of keeping time for billing purposes. RTG allows me to continue to do what I am trained at without needing to learn components I don't need.
Cons1. I would like the timer to shrink the taskbar. 2. As long as I am dreaming, I wish the timer would continuously flash or turn a bright color to remind me that it is tracking time. 3. A longer description field would be welcome. I like to record a lot of text. 4. I wish the macro shorthand codes allowed more characters (max is 5).
Vicki M.
Firm Admin/Paralegal
August 29, 2019

“Good Value for a Small Firm”

ProsThe program ported our data from TimeSlips easy enough and was easy to learn. The price is very reasonable for the program and it's very inexpensive to add users.
ConsOur firm's biggest complaint is that users are not able to create clients in the program, which creates additional work for the admin. The user must email the admin to create a new account. If the admin is not available, then the attorney may forget to enter time once the client is created. Seems like unnecessary work and I hope they fix this.

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. As for creating clients, we would like to clarify how that works. RTG Bills users can enter clients and matters, enter fees and expenses, enter client payments, and create bills. Included with RTG Bills is a separate program, RTG Timer, that is designed for timekeepers to enter their fees and expenses. Any user can be given access to RTG Bills, RTG Timer, or both. A user with access to RTG Timer only will not be able to enter new clients. Only an RTG Bills user can enter new clients. We should note that the "cloud" version of RTG Bills lets you give a user access to RTG Bills, but then limit what they can do. So, for example, you could allow a user to enter new clients and matters, but not allow entry of payments or the printing of bills and reports.
Anne B.

“Good for Solo Practice”

ProsThis software is easy to use. Most billing software is designed for large firms that do civil practice and thus do not fit with my practice. RTG Bills does work for my practice area, size and billing. The cost is very reasonable, and the technical support has been very good.
ConsWould like to be able to code activities/expenses for shorthand entry AND have those fees and expenses still itemized on the bills. Last time I attempted this, there was only the possibility of getting a lump total if the short hand codes were used, so not a usable feature for how I bill. Also, since the most recent version, I have to log out as a user and log in as an administrator to get updates. The old way was better.

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. You don't have to summarize coded items. An item with an activity or expense code is only summarized on the bill if you choose that option for the code. Contact support if you need help with this feature.
Alan G.
August 29, 2019

“Most Bang for the Bucks”

OverallI have been using this system for 10+ years. Zero regrets. Zero down time. Zero lost data. If all the software I purchase performed this well, I would be even happier than I already am.
Pros1. Web based. I run a touch screen laptop beside my office computers and log time without distraction. 2. Web based. I can prep monthly billing at home on the weekends. 3. Upgrades are auto and seamless. 4. Maintains my history for years. 5. Crazy easy to change / correct entries from the draft billing screen. 6. Pricing is very easy on the budget.
Cons1. Moving from desktop to web took some effort, but was a one off. Only purchase the web version and save yourself a lot of effort. 2. Different billing rates for different clients takes some effort. Apologies if there is a quick fix and I just haven't found it yet.
Karen S.

“RTG is the best!”

OverallExcellent. This product is a solid addition to any small to mid sized law firm and the value is unmatched.
ProsThis software is easy to use, intuitive, and doesn't take a lot of time to get up and running. It scales well (we started as 1 user and now have 6) and can be customized if desired but also has great defaults. The reports available are too many to be used by any single user, and generally fit our needs really well. Although it took some time to get used to having to use email for all support, we always get a quick and accurate reply.
ConsThe only issue I have encountered is it does not track realization by timekeeper, but rather by responsible attorney. This is not a huge issue, but it is one item that would be helpful.
Evan L.
Principal

“Excellent billing software”

OverallI have used a version of RTG Bills since I opened my firm in 2002. I have never seriously considered using another billing program. While I cannot say I have never had a problem the issues have been few and the customer support was immediate and effective. This is the best piece of business software I have ever used.
ProsEase of use, excellent instructions and exceptional customer support.
ConsI would like an option to have the program spell check entries when entered. A frequent complaint in the office is that users get disoriented when moving back and forth between Bills and Timer.
Lynn B.
Attorney / Owner
August 29, 2019

“Great Product for a Great Price”

OverallI was paying a monthly fee for my billing software, which added up to far more than what I paid as a flat fee for RTG. The system I was using had so many functions that I never even touched, so it was frustrating paying so much for functions that I just didn't need. I think that RTG is simple to use, does the job I need it to do, and allows me to track everything that I need to track (billable time, payments, unpaid bills, client summaries, etc.). It is simply a great product for the price.
ProsI am amazed at how well RTG works and enables me to bill clients with relative ease at such a good price. I was previously paying on a monthly basis for a system that was more complicated to use before I had heard of RTG. With so many systems out there you are paying for functions that are just not necessary. RTG allows me to track time, bill clients, add courtesies or other adjustments, note payments, track unpaid bills, and much more. I am very pleased with this purchase!
ConsI guess I would say that I get a little frustrated that you have to close out everything you are working on before you can do anything else. It is a "one-track mind" kind of system. Unlike what we are used to with having multiple windows open, you have to close out of a task before you can move on to the next task.

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate such an honest (yet complimentary!) review. It is absolutely true that RTG Bills does not display multiple windows. It was part of the original design to focus on one thing at a time, with the goal of Billing Made Easy.
Jennifer H.
professional fiduciary
August 29, 2019

“Super easy and affordable timekeeping / billing program”

OverallI've been using RTG for 15+ years. It's very low maintenance, super easy to use, and so affordable. Highly recommend it for someone looking for a streamlined approach to timekeeping and billing.
ProsThis software is super easy to use, not a lot of overwhelming or confusing "fluff"... just clean and simple. Also very affordable. I also like that the timer can be interrupted for another timer, for example if a billable call comes in while I was working on another billable project; makes it very easy to capture all time as I work throughout the day, rather than trying to remember it all to enter later.
ConsI wish it had a place to add more detailed notes to each time entry, separate from the actual time entry, so that the brief description (phone call with client) would show on the bill, but the more detailed notes (exactly what was discussed, etc.) could be hidden on the client bill yet easily accessible for my future reference. That is the only function I find to be missing, but love the program otherwise.
Roy A.
August 29, 2019

“Solid dependable small office software”

OverallI couldn't do time-keeping/billing without it. I was previously a long time user of Timeslips, but after quite a number of unsatisfactory difficulties with it, combined with big price increases, I migrated to RTG, and have been very happy ever since. I've not used it in a multi-biller office, so I can't comment on its use for that purpose.
ProsValue for the money. Does everything I need without unnecessary complexity.
ConsHas a few unnecessary multi-clicks to perform routine tasks, such as committing a slip in Timer.

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it.
Miriam J.
September 4, 2019

“Combines ease-of-use with full functionality”

OverallI switched to RTG over 20 years ago after having been a long time Timeslips user. With Robert Hallem's Assistance, I was able to port over most of this data and set up RTG's bills with ease and seamlessly hit the ground running. I was able to cut down my billing cycle from more than three days to about three hours, max, which made might me love billing and collecting on a much faster time basis. Whenever I did run into a problem, I was able to contact the rep for Tech Support and get a timely response. My entire experience with the RTG bills has been exemplary. As a solo lawyer, minimizing my effort on this administrative task has freed me to enjoy my practice.
Pros RTG software allows me to efficiently capture all of my time and to easily and accurately bill it with a minimum of effort. It offers many options for customizing and formatting invoices and reports for my own information and to inform my clients. And the customer support is excellent.
Cons It's only a minor inconvenience: having to open the billing module at billing time.

By RTG Data Systems on September 9, 2019
Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate your support of RTG Bills over the years!
Dave D.

“Best deal out there”

OverallWhen I first started practicing law, I searched high and low for a time and billing program that was easy to use and would grow with my practice. It was just dumb luck that I discovered RTG Bills. It has been my one and only billing program for over 15 years.
ProsThis program is simple from initial setup to final invoice printout. There is a very short learning curve and it can be customized quickly and easily.
ConsI tried the online app version and found it somewhat cumbersome when it came to synchronizing information with my main computer program.
Roy H.
August 29, 2019

“Excellent value, no frills Time and Billing program”

ProsIt just plain works. An advanced degree in Information Technology is not required to install and use this software, nor do you need to take out a loan to purchase it, or pay monthly or annual fees for support. It is not loaded with spurious features that 80% of all users would never use, (e.g. Quickbooks or any of the host of other legal time and billing programs) for a time and billing program. It is easy to set up and only takes a few hours to get a basic understanding of the time keeping functions. The reports and other more advanced features are relatively easy to learn and use. A very important feature, especially for those doing family law GAL work, is its split billing function.
ConsThe in-program help menus could be improved a bit, remote access by their support would probably be beneficial to some users. Online webinars would bring them up to 2020 standards.
Edwin G.
September 4, 2019

“RTG bills great billing software ”

OverallEasy to bill and keep track of payments from clients whether by mail or email
ProsEasy to set up once and use with client billing and payments
ConsCumbersome to set up letterhead for bills

By RTG Data Systems on September 6, 2019
Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Our method of creating a letterhead does not use "drag-and-drop", which we feel puts the burden on the user to keep everything in alignment. Instead, you supply the text and RTG Bills takes care of the alignment.
Christopher E.
August 30, 2019

“Perfect Software for a Small Firm!”

OverallI compared RTG to a plethora of other billing software options for law firms. Most are online and require monthly license purchase of upwards of $50/users. This would be prohibitive, or at least a severe deterrent, to someone just starting out. RTG does everything else these other packages do, but you buy it and own it and don't have to continue paying every month and get sucked into a company that you could never switch from because they have all of your billing.
ProsIt's perfect for my law office. I have two paralegals and an associate. It's a one-time purchase, it does literally everything I need for all of my billing. I can submit e-bills to all of the different insurance companies I work for and it has phenomenal reporting, so I can see the different aspects of what I've billed, what's been paid, etc.
ConsThere is literally nothing I don't like about this software.
Brent W.
Attorney/Owner
August 30, 2019

“Comprehensive, Easy and Inexpensive”

OverallRTG Bills has been a great tool for my practice. Any attorney, especially small firms like mine, would be surprised at the value and quality provided by this software.
ProsThe software was easy to set up and use, and it provided more features than I had expected, especially for the price!
ConsI really like that the software includes a lot of choices for reports, such as billings, receipts, expenses, hours, and many, many more. There are so many (not a bad thing!), however, that it took a while to figure out which reports I needed to generate for specific purposes. An explanation for the purpose of each type of report would improve the usefulness of the software.
Patrick C.
August 29, 2019

“Great Product at a Great Value”

OverallI can rely on this product to capture the billing information and provide a professional looking invoice to my clients.
ProsThe cost is very good, especially given the quality of the product. I found it was easy to setup and I have never encountered a functional problem. The company provides prompt customer support when needed, although I have not had to use it except for a couple of questions.
ConsI initially had a little difficulty learning how to review past billings but finally figured out a way to view all the dates of the past billings in order to review them quicker. I should have dug deeper so I am going to attribute that to user error. I have also had difficulty emailing the invoices directly from the program which would avoid having to print and then scan the billings before emailing them to clients.
Bryce L.
Of Counsel
Law Practice, 11-50 employees
August 30, 2019

“Perfect for my practice”

OverallPreviously, I've used several standalone and law practice timekeeping and billing systems over the past 25+ years. RTG is by far the simplest, most straightforward and economical of the bunch. I appreciate that the program is standalone and I don't have to open a practice management system, then click-through layers to drill down into timekeeping or billing. Preparing billings is a snap. When reviewing a pre-billing statement if I want to make a change, I can simply click on the billing item, and it opens the time/expense entry, so I can modify it. Then, when the change has been made, I can close the entry and the statement reappears with the changes. Simple!
ProsEverything is intuitive. It opens promptly, is quick to navigate and back-ups are fast. Short-cut keys can be set up to save time for repetitive types of entries (e.g., "Phone conference with client" can be inserted with, for example, a short-cut 'PCC')
ConsNo cons. It works. Don't be put off by the basic look of the user interface.
James S.

“RTG Used by Law Firm”

ProsEase of use, cost, not too many useless features and tech support-very responsive!
ConsNo complaints, I switched from Timeslips and never looked back. Timeslips was difficult to setup, difficult to use, they required annual costly updates and it had many features I did not need.
Carol K.

“Customer Support”

OverallI have found the product to be amazing and the customer support is magnificent
ProsI like how easy it is to customize but most of all I love the customer support. I have a question or issue and it is answered very quickly. In understandable language. I looked a long time and tried several different billing products and have had RTG for about 15 years. I have not seen anything as good.
ConsWhen I first started I had to learn the program, but the support was wonderful so it wasn't that much of a burden.
Robert B.
Sole lawyer practitioner
September 10, 2019

“RTG Bills & Timer”

OverallI capture all of my time on client cases whether hourly-fee, contingent fee, or pro-bono, and do all of my billing using this software. I have been with RTG since I migrated from my Windows system to my Mac in 2012 and for some time before that. I don't know what I did before that. I have noticed some of my colleagues having unpleasant histories with competitor products. I have no need to switch. I'd hate to learn a new system. And the customer support here is unequalled.
ProsIt allows me to keep track of my time on cases and do billing from my office computer as well as various mobile devices (I use only a laptop computer and mobile phone when mobile). The customer support is exemplary.
ConsThere are some small quirks that are not intuitive.

By RTG Data Systems on September 11, 2019
Thanks so much for reviewing RTG Bills. It is especially appreciated coming from both a long-time RTG Bills user (20 years!) and someone who switched from the Windows PC version to the online "cloud" version (nearly five years ago).
September 10, 2019
N L P.
August 29, 2019

“Best value for time and billing software”

ProsVery easy to set up and use; can have different billing rules for different clients; GREAT customer support.
ConsIs solely PC/Windows based (however, for a monthly fee, can use the program on line, and for even smaller monthly fee, can enter billing on line from all devices).
David N.
Attorney sole practitioner

“Simplicity itself”

OverallThe software gives me up-to-date information about who has paid and who is behind on payment, which is important to healthy business performance.
ProsThe software tracks client trust funds and allows easy reconciliation with the trust-account bank statement. RTG Bills (I use the online version) has many reports that help me slice and dice time and money data to get critical information about business performance. Timekeeping, billing, and payments-received windows are ultra-simple and allow text entries as detailed as I want. RTG staff responds promptly to help inquiries.
ConsFiguring out some of the authors' terminology (for example, understanding the difference between a "timekeeper" and a "user").
John O.

“Long-Long time user”

OverallHelps me keep track of my single most important product - my time.
ProsI've used this software for almost 20 years. Still using version 2.23. Stopped upgrading when the added features stopped being something I needed. I am a solo practitioner and I enter my own time and prep my own bills, so the features directed at group use and networking just have not been important. Despite that it has remained highly functional for me and very easy to use.
ConsThe only real problem I've ever had has been when entering my time over multiple days the software does not assist to remind me to change dates (or at least check on them) so that sometimes I input 24+ hours of billable time in one day. I've also sometimes wished for a more versatile search feature.
Michele D.
Partner
August 30, 2019

“Simple, easy to use, great customer service”

ProsRTG Bills was easy to install when I set up a new law firm eight years ago, and it has done everything I need it to do - record time easily, produce invoices easily, generate reports easily. No bells and whistles, just a solid product that has never had any issues. I can't say that about any of the other software I use in my law practice! Customer service has been excellent the few times I've needed to contact them (and the problem has always been on my end with my computer/Windows, not with the software). A great price point for a small law firm, too.
ConsNo cons. It's not fancy, if you want fancy, but that is not a drawback in my opinion.

By RTG Data Systems on September 9, 2019
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of RTG Bills. We really appreciate it!
August 31, 2019

“Love RTG”

OverallUser for 10 years and very satisfied
ProsIntuitive interface and customer support
ConsN/A. No issues with this product. Cannot criticize

By RTG Data Systems on September 3, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills -- whoever you are!
August 31, 2019
Jolee C.
Office Assistant

“RTG review”

OverallI have cut down the amount of time spent on posting billable time.
ProsSimple to enter billable time and retainer payments
ConsIf the standard retainer is selected, other transactions cannot be processed unless a bill is printed. The type of account cannot be changed (from matter to client or visa versa) once it has been created. The format of the invoices is limited. It would be convenient to be able to print those bills that are accounts receivable only.

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. Regarding retainer accounts, RTG Bills offers client-level accounts and matter-level accounts. A client-level account can be used to pay any matter for the client. It is true that you cannot change a matter-level account to a client-level account, but with a few steps, you can accomplish the same thing. First, create the new client-level account. Then transfer the balance with two transactions: a "retainer refund" to get the balance from the matter-level account and a "retainer received" to put the same amount in the client-level account.
John J.

“Good and inexpensive”

OverallThe software helps me keep bills going out and therefore money coming in.
ProsThere is a learning curve but once you master that the software is quick and easy to use. Only had to contact customer supports once, and they were responsive and helpful.
ConsIt is a bit cumbersome to enter the client info, then the matter, but that's probably just a difference between this and timeslips.

By RTG Data Systems on September 6, 2019
Thanks for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We do appreciate it. It is true that RTG Bills separates clients and their matters, which is true of most (maybe all) legal-specific billing systems. It lets you see client totals in certain reports. Also, it means that the client information is not duplicated.
RIchard B.

“Review”

OverallI only use the time records and bills;
ProsEase of use; low cost; one-time input of data;
ConsLimited use for my practice; having to upgrade; having to end a billing cycle and then cancel bills to resume; Inability to get back to previously printed bills; cumbersome switching between screens; I cannot transport data to Microsoft Word or pdf; I have to scan printed bills to pdf to email them to clients;

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. RTG Bills can reprint bills as PDF files. You don't need to scan them! As an option, you can have RTG Bills email them as attachments. Please contact support if you want help with this or the other issues you mentioned in your review.
Mark G.
August 29, 2019

“Great software, terrific customer support”

OverallRTG lets me record my time on the fly and generate bills easily. When I have run into problems, customer support has been superb, with really quick response times.
ProsIt is a stable program, does what I need it to do (and then some). Simple to use once you have set it up.
ConsThe initial set-up took me some time. That was a long time ago, however. Once you get the hang of the program, it is easy to use.
Roderick P.
Attorney owner
August 29, 2019

“RTG Bills software review”

OverallOperating on my own without any staff, I am able to accurately track charges and produce monthly bills that are professional in appearance and accurate. At year end I am able to easily produce reports that facilitate preparation of tax returns. The program will also produce a wide variety of reports to track and analyze charges and payments.
ProsI have been using this products since I started solo practice 10 years ago. I have found it easy to use, virtually bug free, and cost efficient.
ConsI don't have any serious complaints. The help tips are sometimes not too helpful, but I have yet to run into a problem that customer support couldn't solve by email.
Kris V.

“Review”

ProsEase of Use; Entry of clients is simple in the program
ConsRetainer account for client level and matters does not intergrate

By RTG Data Systems on September 9, 2019
Thanks so much for taking the time to review RTG Bills. We really appreciate it. RTG Bills allows both matter-level retainer accounts (which are used tp pay a single matter) and client-level retainer accounts (which can be used to pay any of a client's matters). If you get a second matter for a client, you may want to change the retainer from a matter-level account to a client-level account. The procedure for changing a retainer account from a matter-level account to a client-level account requires quite a few steps. So recently we created a free update to RTG Bills that automates this procedure.
Vito L.
August 29, 2019

“Excellent program and excellent support.”

OverallRTG has handled all of my client billing and related issues without flaw.
ProsI have been using RTG for over 10 years and have found it to be easy to use while still being comprehensive. On those occasions when I have had questions that I was unable to resolve I contact RTG for support. The rep responded to my questions within 24 hours, and was able to talk me through my issues (and they were in fact my issues and not issues with RTG) quickly.
ConsFor me, RTG has satisfied all of my needs and I have no complaints.
Chris N.
Lawyer

OverallVery good simple software
ProsSimplicity common sense and good support
ConsNothing - all is OK cannot be better. I really cannot find anything wrong Ana I am really greatfull when you adjusted in thye matter of hours the program to our specific needs. Good on you mate.

By RTG Data Systems on September 2, 2019
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. We try to make RTG Bills work for all our users - even in Australia!
Brigida R.
August 29, 2019

“You get MORE than what you pay for!”

OverallRTG solved my training issues. As personnel changed the program was constant and the instructions are so easy that each new person taught themselves. I do not remember RTG's program ever being down. Since I have had no issues, I only used Customer Service for shortcuts when learning the program. RTG bills look no different that the more costly competitors.
ProsI believe you get what you pay for but with RTG the value outweighs the cost. The one time cost and free updates cannot be beat. The program is user friendly and the upgrades are free. RTG was not the first billing program I ever used, but it will be the last. Compared to the other vendors this is definately the best. Thanks RTG.
ConsIt took me so long to find it and it seemed almost too good to be true.
Karen M.

“Worth Every Penny”

OverallI have used RTG Bills for my small law firm for almost 15 years. It serves my purposes beautifully--is easy to use, has all the right features, can do paper bills and ebilling, and all at an extremely affordable price. The customer service is great when I need it, but it works so well it has been years since I've even needed to talk to them. When I did it was to set up ebilling protocols for different clients and they were extremely helpful.
ProsEasy to use, very affordable, adaptable, good customer service.
ConsThere is nothing I do not like. The software does everything I need it to do.
Charles S.
August 29, 2019

“Excellent Old School Billing Software”

ProsI like the straightforward user interface. It looks like software from 1999, but in the best possible way. RTG bills is completely reliable, easy to use, and as powerful as you want it to be, given the time you want to spend to explore its depths. It's not cute or friendly looking, but that is not what I want in business software.
ConsI have had no issues with the software, but I only use it to track my own time, so I have no experience with how this software works for teams.
Arthur T.
Lawyer

“A fine product”

OverallI needed a time and billing system for my solo practice, and this program suits my needs very well.
ProsI practice law out of a home office, by myself and without staff. I find RTG to be easy to use, well-supported, and highly functional. I recommend it!
ConsI have not had any problems, so cannot say that there is anything to "like least." I do find having to set up "matters" in addition to setting up the client to be unnecessary in my practice, so the additional time that takes is not productive for me.
Richard S.
August 29, 2019

“RTG - Keystone of a Successful Practice”

OverallIn over 30 years of practicing law I cannot say that I have purchased a good or service that equals the value of RTG. It is a straightforward, user-friendly solution for keeping time and billing clients -- literally the single most important non-legal function of any law firm. It is not particularly fancy or slick, but it does what it supposed to do. It just works.
ProsRTG is easy to learn. Inexpensive. Reliable. It produces billing statements that are accurate, informative and look good.
ConsInability to copy text out of reports in the "View" mode.
Maury S.
Managing Director
Management Consulting, Unspecified
March 3, 2018

“Excellent Small Firm Billing Software With Superb Support”

OverallI am able to submit electronic bills (via TyMetrix) to an important large client, in a convenient way without expensive infrastructure.
ProsRTG Bills and RTG Timer Online are an extremely effective and cost-effective option for a small legal firm. RTG Bills provides all of the functions needed to submit electronic bills to the world's largest companies, and RTG Timer Online allows time to be entered easily from any Internet-connected device. This software just works without unnecessary bells and whistles, and the functionality has been stable over many years without requiring me to purchase unnecessary upgrades. And on the few occasions when something has gone wrong, customer support has been superb -- responsive, personal and effective. For what RTG provides, the pricing is refreshingly reasonable.
March 3, 2018
Jeff K.

“My billing ”

OverallUse it. Daily for 10 years
ProsEasy to use. Love it. Don't like this survey
ConsNothing bad to report except this survey

By RTG Data Systems on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to review RTG Bills. I'm sorry you did not like the request for reviews. After years of listing RTG Bills on Capterra, we had only two reviews! So we accepted their offer to set up a dedicated web page for responses, and we requested reviews from our RTG announcement list. It was very successful and I appreciate your response.
Danielle L.
Secretary/Office Manager
August 29, 2019

“One of the best billing programs out there”

OverallThe program is so easy to use that when teaching new attorneys or staff on how to use it is such a breeze. That alone is worth its weight in gold. Great program I have been using it close to 10 years and I can count on my left hand how much guidance I needed. Not to mention ,the rep one of the best problem solvers around Hes help is ALWAYS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
ProsThe ease of it and the report capability.
ConsThere is none that I can think of at the moment.
Patricia C.
August 30, 2019

“Great value and easy to use”

OverallIt is a reliable product for generating invoices and running reports. Each time I had a question the customer service was exceptional
ProsVery reasonable priced, customer support is outstanding and it is a basic and user friendly system for generating bills
Consit is a basic application and there are no bells and whistles but the price is great for a solo practice
Trudi R.

“Excellent support program”

OverallProfessional, friendly and dependable
ProsDependability, simplicity, function and price. It is the best billing/case management program I have ever used. Thank you!!!!
ConsNot applicable. Nothing.
Randy B.

“An Excellent Program”

OverallOverall, just a great and cost effective billing program.
ProsRTG makes billing fast, simple, and accurate. The UI is extremely easy to navigate. Moreover, a variety of useful reports provides important billing information on both a current and historical basis.
ConsWould like to be able to combine bills and billing summary sheet into one document.
John S.
Attorney/Owner

“Great Value”

OverallThe ability to track time and bill at the end of the month is very good. The bills look very professional, and typically I can quickly retrieve any information I need to answer clients' questions.
ProsIt provides a complete timekeeping, billing and accounting system for small to medium-sized law firms.
ConsDifficulty in accounting for non-standard fee arrangements Some Confusing Reports