ActivePDF Ratings

Overall

About ActivePDF

ActivePDF is the leading global provider of server-side PDF automation tools. We work closely with developers, product managers, CIOs, and CTOs to embed digital transformation in their enterprise applications. After nearly 20 years of delivering billions of PDF files, there's no wonder why 40% of the Fortune 500 trust our digital transformation and workflow automation solutions. Learn more about ActivePDF

John W.
IT Director
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees
March 19, 2019

“Very Good Office to PDF Conversion as well as other PDF features”

OverallWe have a custom Transportation Management System (TMS). I have eliminated many of the file cabinets in the company and replaced with paperless processes. One example is Order Faxes. Customers email or fax us documents which then appear to an order entry clerk on a dual screen system. They enter the orders and the 'fax' is attached to the order. This gives everyone visibility to that initial document and eliminated the filing aspect. Many of the emailed documents are Word, Excel and HTML. DocConverter does a great job of transforming them into PDF. We also use DocConverter to compress PDFS by using different conversion settings to reduce their size. We have truckers sending us electronic POD PDFs that are huge.
ProsIf you have a custom system or one that can easily integrate with web services, I recommend DocConverter and the REST interface. It is very good at retaining the Office format of documents, converting them into PDF. Performance is good, uptime is very good. Our application server has PDF commands for bursting, appending, deleting pages, etc. so we don't rely fully on DocConverter. But it has all those commands and then some if you need a solution that includes all of the features you could want in paperless workflow systems.
ConsIn the past we have had the server give us strange errors and support always had us re-install. Initially each one of those episodes caused lots of other issues. Now, we have the reinstall documented and it is very reliable. But to make things even better, we have not (knock on wood) had a need to re-install for over a year. I think this latest product with the web service interface is really solid.

By ActivePDF on March 26, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments on DocConverter. Your feedback is beyond valuable and drives future product improvements across the board. Kind Regards, ActivePDF
March 19, 2019
Mitch D.
Director of IT
Insurance, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
June 17, 2019

“This Company Is A Gem!”

OverallWhat I needed was a server level product that would take a print stream from an SaaS system and provide me with local PDF files that I could concatenate and save to be printed locally. Their product could have easily done what I needed but their honesty and values suggested I try a lower cost product and provided me with a suggestion, which did precisely what I needed.
ProsPlease note that I did not purchase the product but I am giving the company the highest possible ranking because they are honest and have integrity. After speaking with their sales person and their technician, it was believed that, while their product would do what I needed, it was more advanced that I would need. Instead of continuing through the sales process, it was recommended that I look at a competitor's product as they thought it would do what I needed. They got nothing out of the deal except my utmost respect. Honesty counts for a lot in IT. Too often, salespersons want to sell vaporware or immature product that do not perform to expectations. In this case, it was totally opposite. While their product could have easily handled what I needed to have done, they suggested something less expensive. I sincerely hope that their integrity pays them 100 times over what I would have spent with them.
ConsAll I can say is that I hope you read what I've written above.

By ActivePDF on July 5, 2019
Hi Mitch, Thank you for taking the time to share the positive experience you had with the ActivePDF team. Your kind words are invaluable and greatly appreciated by everyone at ActivePDF.
June 17, 2019
Craig W.
Web Developer/Team Lead
May 24, 2018

“We installed ActivePDF several years ago and it just does what it's supposed to do. ”

ProsEasy to use if you can write code. Hardly ever has any issues is just runs on the server and does it's job. Using code allows it to be more flexible with the users needs. We use the ability to stitch several PDF's together on the fly all the time and it works great.
ConsHow the software handles converting Excel files is sometimes hard to read especially if there are several columns and the converter converts is in Portrait style instead of landscape. It would be nice if it could calculate how wide the document is and convert it accordingly. I also have a fear of upgrading the software not knowing how it will affect my process.
Craig W.
Web Develop II Team Lead
Logistics and Supply Chain, 201-500 employees
March 8, 2019

“DocConverter good and bad.”

OverallWe have used DocConverter for several years and it has worked very well for us with out much issues. Support usually is pretty responsive and knowledgeable. I've been real happy with the performance.
ProsThe quality of the pdf that comes out of the conversion process is very clean and the size is very compressed. There are good examples.
ConsThe cost is very expensive. Some errors are hard to trouble shoot.

By ActivePDF on March 12, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give such valuable feedback. Your comments help us in assessing the future of our products and customer support.
CHIGYUN D.
S/W Architecture
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
May 28, 2018

“We are using DocConverter for document conversion and data capture solution.”

OverallIt maintains stable performance for various types of documents and large volumn document conversions.
ProsProvides various APIs, supports background processing of bulk documents, supports various document format
ConsIt depends on 3rd party S/W, so there is a problem with handling unexpected errors. I would like to include some more intelligence function such as Excel oversized documents or too many pages converted.
May 28, 2018
Lee E.
Systems Analyst
May 25, 2018

“Overall ActivePDF products have served our needs well and have been easy enough to use.”

ProsActivePDF software nicely handles converting many different document types to PDF very well. I especially like that the WebGrabber software has made it possible for our development team to focus on documents that work well with browsers and have the ability to easily get a PDF copy through an automated system.
ConsAs a developer, I find that the error messages could be more insightful. Also, it is difficult to determine what level of ECMA scripts the WebGrabber is capable of rendering.
Arne B.
Solutions Architect
51-200 employees
May 25, 2018

“Easy to install and works after just at few minutes. Gives great value for us and our customers.”

ProsHandles just about every thing we throw at it. Of all the software we use, this is the one we never worry about. It just works. Good follow up and frequent updates that makes it future proof.
ConsA little troublesome to make sure it has all the rights and authorities to convert. Don't forget to check DCOM.
Kevin J.
Revenue Management I/T Consultant
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
September 26, 2018

“Bang for the Buck”

OverallThis application has been so stable that its rare to do anything with it.
ProsThe backbone for our organization forms for our mobile applications. It allows workflows for alcohol and tobacco certification from start to end. It's interfaced with legacy applications as well as new cutting edge applications. It's also used on the website for delivery of forms. It's a very stable application. The customer service is one of the best. I have very little experience but their customer service/technical support assist with great directions and/or documentation.
ConsNot the easiest application to use but excellent customer service makes up for it.

By ActivePDF on October 1, 2018
Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review! Everyone here at ActivePDF appreciates the feedback. Please feel free to contact us anytime for more info on other ActivePDF products.
September 26, 2018
May 22, 2018

“activePDF Portal was usable on Windows 2003 site”

OverallactivePDF Portal supported our use of PDF documents on two different web sites.
ProsThey supported us well when we got started. They are letting us keep using Portal, even while discontinuing it as a product.
ConsUpgrading the site to Windows 2012 forced activePDF Portal to upgrade from 2011 to 2014, and a change in code. The have not supported us to shift to their replacement product
kathleen n.
sr systems analyst
Government Administration, 501-1000 employees
May 22, 2018

“good experience. easy to use”

ProsCustomer service was very good. The product itself is easy to set-up and monitor. I like the variety of conversion options. It is very easy for the end-user and is super fast converting.
Consi really don' t have any cons. the program doesn't have issues. It runs smoothly and easily for a variety of users.
Jose M.
Vendor Performance Analyst
Financial Services, Unspecified
June 8, 2018

“does the job”

Prosprice wise is the best bang for your money and I can complete all my work without spending lots of money
ConsLimited functionality however I am not a heavy users which requires all the features, sometimes it is good to have them all.
June 8, 2018
Alayna J.
IT Asset Admin
Printing, 10,001+ employees

“Fast, Easy, Flexible”

OverallUsing DocConverter allows for us to convert documents quickly and easily.
ProsDocConverter is very easy to use. It also converts documents fast. It allows you to create custom conversion templates (if needed). I love that they offer customer support and assistance as well.
ConsI honestly cannot think of anything I don't like about DocConverter.

By ActivePDF on March 15, 2019
We are very pleased that DocConverter is meeting all your needs. Thank you for taking the time to write a review!
11-50 employees
May 29, 2018

“very easy to work with”

Prosexcellent word document rendering. we use this to render 100s of word documents on a daily basis, it manages graphs, charts and other more demanding word doc templates very well.
Consno issues at all. we have found the product easy to implement, and, overallit has been a very successful addition to our offering
Budi Y.
Application Developer
Government Administration, 1001-5000 employees
May 22, 2018

“It is great product and with responsive support.”

ProsWe have used this product for almost 10 years. We use it to convert documents to PDF file on some of our applications. This product is easy to use and to configure. We only have few issues at the beginning and their support always helped us.
ConsI have to say the price. I hope that will be cheaper than what they offer now. I cannot think anything else.
John N.
IT Manager
Government Administration, 11-50 employees
May 22, 2018

“Server-based bulk document converter. Fast and accurate.”

ProsDocument conversion is accurate and fast. We have compared with other solutions and ActivePDF was faster, more accurate, or both. Simple to use.
ConsI have no dislikes. The product functions as advertised, requires no maintenance and is both fast and efficient.
JEAN K.
Contract Designer
May 29, 2018

“Another great PDF modifying software. ”

ProsCovers a wide range of document formats - even CAD (.dxf). It is noticeable faster and more accurate than other programs.
ConsNot bad, but could be cheaper. Still having trouble with proper size conversions.
May 24, 2018

“A very good customer support during the evaluation helped to shortlist it”

ProsCAD document converter functions like (dxf -->pdf), API programming support for the conversion at server level, Various API programming support like AutoCAD font setting, etc.
ConsAdmin rights required during every time execution, As we require to run it in different servers, we need to procure many servers. Instead if options like one license can support in multiple servers license type, it could be very useful Also the User name and mail ID registration need to be edited in a simple way rather than the current method
June 4, 2018

“Horrible to manage from a sys admin perspective”

OverallIt does what is needed and handles a large volume of PDFs fairly quickly and effectively.
ProsThe software does what it needs to do. WebGrabber is a pretty decent scraping tool. Their licensing requires I only deal with them once every year.
ConsThe software is very finicky (as an SA I have to sign off my domain accounts or the software can break) and cumbersome.
June 4, 2018
Matthew R.
Entertainment, 201-500 employees
November 20, 2018

“Reliable converter”

OverallTaking user input from web and saving it as archived individual files to trigger processes and at the same time document selections.
ProsEasy to implement data captures. Perfect for legal work. Example libraries make everything smoother.
ConsAt first the monitor window looked scary but for troubleshooting it was really helpful as well.

By ActivePDF on November 26, 2018
Thank you for your review! For any questions on other ActivePDF products, please contact our helpful tech advisors. Kindest Regards.
November 20, 2018
Sonali Z.
Analyst
February 9, 2018

“Team used Active PDF under document management to convert the paper docs into electronic. ”

ProsI like their OCR feature which is fast and able to use different techniques to make the page searchable.
ConsThey can have mode different document extensions included that can convert pdf into different one and visa versa.
February 9, 2018

December 20, 2018
Michael S.
October 27, 2015

“ActivePDF DocConverter”

OverallSimply the best set of API's available for document management.
October 27, 2015
Gian Marco A.
Team Lead BE Development
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
May 29, 2018

“It's a good product and works well, does a lot but the price and licensing it too high”

OverallValidated the integration possibility
ProsEasy to install and configure, good integrations and good amount of flexibility but we had few issues in some edge cases and couldn't make it work
ConsSupport was quick to respond but never managed to fix the issue. Additionally it requires an additional MS Office license
Earland M.
Music Producer
Entertainment, Self-employed
April 12, 2019

“It's ok”

OverallIt's ok could be a little user friendly
ProsIf your looking to convert your files to PDFs this what your looking for
ConsIt's difficult to figure out when you first use it

By ActivePDF on April 15, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback. Your input gives us the ability to continually improve and update our products to fit the needs of our users. Kind Regards, ActivePDF
April 12, 2019