e-MDs Chart Ratings

Overall
2.5/5
2.9/5
2.2/5

About e-MDs Chart

Designed by physicians to improve care, reduce errors and simplify business so that time spent with patients is quality time automatically billed and coded properly. Learn more about e-MDs Chart

George M.
February 25, 2013

OverallI operate a solo practice general surgery office with one surgeon and two employees in a small town in north central Mississippi. I have been using e-MDs Solution Series since 2001 when I completed my active duty service obligation in the US Army. Software has come a long way in that time frame. My server is local in my office, not off-site. I provide my own IT support as there is no reliable support of sufficient calibre in town to do so. I occasionally use outside internet based support when I need OS/Active Directory/DNS/etc... type support. Upon leaving the US Army, I realized that electronic records were up and coming as the best means for documentation. I had no prior EMR experience, other than the CHCS system that was then in use in the DOD. I have been diligent in keeping my system up to date with the latest version of e-MDs. I use iPad nMotion application for documentation of notes for patients seen out of office. as well as reviewing records/documents from prior visits. I use iPhone Rounds application to document billable procedures that I perform outside of my office. Both apps can be used to scribe electronically when needed. The iPhone app comes in handy after hours to document phone conversations with patients immediatly after the call has ended. In the office, I use a Windows 7 Pro tablet to document my notes with the main Solution Series applications. Implementation initially was in 2001. I attended a two day training in Austin, TX where I learned both the charting and billing side of the software (Remember I was just in the US Army and had no billing experience, minimal coding experience). I hired a woman who had some billing experience from prior Family Medicine practice she had worked in. I taught her the Billing software mechanics. She taught me the coding/billing insurance processes. We were up and running in days and never looked back. I closed that initial practice and upon moving to my current location. I was able to set up the computer system, restore the database, and initially train two persons to use the software in the performance of their duties. I have had a few billing clerks over the last 10 years, and I and the outgoing clerk were able to train the incoming individual without difficulty. I actually can perform all the billing functions as needed when my clerk is absent (invoice generation, claim batch submission, posting of payments from insurance and patients, transfer of balances, statement creation, etc...) The charting software is currently very customizable to anyone's practice. As a general surgeon, my charting needs are somewhat different from a primary care practice needs. The ability to create/edit templates to document the different sections of the note, makes note creation very easy. By having complete templates, I auto-prompt myself or remind myself to ask questions that I might have forgotten to ask otherwise. Customer support has always been a strongpoint of the e-MDs company. I 'auto-triage' my support. Things that I need an answer to yesterday, are answered yesterday. Things that can wait, are submitted via the support forum and are answered in an appropriate amount of time. I also look for the answers to my questions prior to submitting the question. Benefits are hard to quantify in terms of dollars and cents. I was able to successfully attest to meaningful use both in 2011 and 2012 by using the system. I don't spend rent money floor space for a chart room. I don't pay my staff to go find and retrieve physical medical records to bring to me for review/comment/entry, and then refile them. Paper work is not lost once entered into the chart.
February 25, 2013
Marc G.
June 5, 2010

“Professional complete non boiler plate notes, most in seconds”

OverallThis is my 2nd EMR/PM. Expect to invest time and $. The previous reviewers are not wrong about this software, it does require many clicks to do anything, but it will function differently in different hands. I like having the option of modifying every piece of data in my note, through structured drop down menus. Others prefer to push every patient into a 1 click boilerplate MS word style template. Structured data will be required for HITECH. But eMDs does allow you to make 1 click templates with the structured data. Even then you can change any piece by clicking it right in the note. PM component is very efficient compared to my prior (Acrendo's) software I don't see how you could have better charting, If you dictated a note in the detail of this EMR note you would spend 2x as much time. But that won't happen out of the box. The first year will require many nights or weekends of template modifications to speed up your workflow.
ProsPM component Cut my billing time down 70% with AR improvement of 50% within a few months(over my prior EMR/PM system) Very versatile product Some English Natural language capability. Fairly smooth click to click. Things might take many clicks but they pop up quickly and smoothly while charting My notes look professional and thorough and take seconds for 99212 and <5 minutes for a 99203 (un-templated CC/HPI). ~15 seconds for a 99203 templated and uncomplicated condition Easily enter diagnosis and treatment plan in a few seconds then go back later and add details to note. But diagnosis and charges are captured within 30 seconds easily, despite the multiple clicks needed as mentioned by other reviewers. Everything is done within the note so as you write an Rx, give written recs and handouts, your note shows you gave it to them. You can even send different documents to different printers if needed, all as you sign your note
ConsWhen everything can become structured data, setup can take time--many months, maybe even a year but there is enough premade data to keep the development process minimally painful. No spell check in drop down menus to prevent foolish errors Jack of all trades master of none, until you develop your system to your liking. Crashes (but Minimal if you stop the use of Micorwave in the office while charting wireless-Not kidding) My implementation went badly, review your insurance and fee structure completely before billing!!! There is an odd quirk in the system intended to add versatility that can cause problems if you change your CPTs or add modifiers. This sometimes sets the fee to $0 if you click yes on the popup question do want to change the fee? Always say No!!! It isn't free!!
June 5, 2010
Kari T.
General Manager
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
February 6, 2018

“Very good billing software”

OverallI've used several Practice Management systems in the last 10 years and E-mds is the one I recommend to inquiring practices because of it's comprehensiveness and ease of use.
ProsE-Mds is the most user friendly Practice Management software I've ever used. On the posting tab, it's so easy to see an overview of the account and each individual invoice without having to navigate to different pages. The reports are pretty good, as well, but the crystal reports can be a little hard to maneuver, especially if you are working in a billing service database.
ConsThe collections module is my least favorite thing about E-mds. It only has the option for invoice based collections and some of our practices are specialists who see patients frequently. The lists can get pretty long. Customer support is not the best I've ever dealt with either. I think they are getting better at response time, but the answers to my "can we do this" questions are usually "no".
February 6, 2018
Jennifer H.
Health Care Consultant
April 21, 2017

“Adminstrator for Internal Medicine Who used e-MDs”

OverallThe system was a mediocre system. It does what's needed; however, administrative reports seem to be the best aspect of the EMR and do supersede other systems I've worked with.
ProsThis product has a very robust reporting system. The dates and data are able to be adjusted which makes mining for data so much easier. This system has a really good user conference every year in which I would recommend sending someone from each department to learn. e-MD's stays very up to date on quality metrics and programs.
ConsThe company itself does not provide customer service and are EXTREMELY hard to get in touch with if you have a concern. e-MD's uses a third party for customer support and they typically did a pretty good job with helping us to manage the system. Templates are EXTREMELY advanced and hard to create. The scheduling system seemed antiquated as well. The system is also very expensive.
April 21, 2017
April 7, 2018

“Excellent, comfort and speed of technology extends to the doctor's office.”

OverallThe benefits are multiple, allows to program patients, equipment and personnel which can be a complex task, which makes a big difference in patient satisfaction. Likewise, you can have full control of EHR directly from the office or hosted in the cloud eMDs, the series of solutions works as a doctor thinks, and among other things, the Solution Series section is also known to be the leading system in capturing accurate clinical and billing data that supports the ability to make detailed quality reports and generate accurate claims.
ProsI like the most is that it improves the patients' experience with your practice, gives them the confidence that the practice enabled with technology can provide fast, efficient, accurate and compassionate attention. The management technology of medical practice improves relations with the patient, instead of moving away from them. I also like that Solution Series clinical solutions are designed by practicing physicians who recognize that the software must be fast, customizable and intuitive at the point of care.
ConsI like the least is that the form of relationship of the doctor with his patient is not predicted by the software and many of them, we must use technology but with caution.
April 7, 2018
Michael R.
Medical Practice, 1-10 employees
May 20, 2018

“We have a three provider group with over ten years of experience with Emds. They are always behind on update (ie still have not deployed a clean ICD10). They nickle and dime everything even then it takes months to get anything done. ”

OverallAt one time it was a C+ EMR, however over time it slower transformed into a super D- electronic solution.
ProsThe chart has grown on me like a wart on my nose.
ConsThey really don't care about this product. It shows in the patchy software and costumer care. They are like the harvest transplant team taking one organ at a time until they get to they heart. I guess that makes our office brain dead.
May 20, 2018
Alicia T.
Designated Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees
September 22, 2019

“e-MDS chart is awesome! ”

OverallI am happy that we have access to e-MDs chart
ProsI really like that I can go to e-MDs chart to schedule my doctor appointments. It's quick and easy and I don't have to talk to anyone on the phone. I also really like that I can see my own lab test results and that I have access to all my vaccinations.
ConsThe software does not update easily so most of the time it is not current. Sometimes the vaccinations are not updated like it should. For example if I took a flu shot and not requiring to go to the primary doctor to do so, the e-MDs chart does not update until I see my primary doctor.
September 22, 2019
Mariah K.
January 21, 2015

“Please don't choose E-mds as your EHR system! ”

OverallTheir customer service is horrible. E-mds requires customers to put in a "support ticket" and the average turn around time for "support" is weeks or months before you hear back. Example: We put in a ticket for our P.A. to be able to send prescriptions electronically. Our Doctors and management staff had to call weekly to try and get an answer. After the ticket had been "assigned" to a technician the problem remained for another month and a half until a technician FINALLY reached out to our office. This is not the first time we have ran into lengthy waiting periods! We decided at that point the only solution to the problem was to switch EHR systems. We then contacted E-mds on the 'support' line regarding exporting our data and was immediately told that we would need to put a ticket in for our QUESTION per representative Robert. I'm sure he could tell that we were very frustrated and needed a quick answer to a simple question. He said, "Im sorry, let me see if can get an answer to your question." then placed me on hold for 26 minutes. I was told, "Let me get you over to Chris who can assist you with that!". Once Chris answered, after another 30 minute hold, he stated that he wouldn't be the one I would need to speak with. He placed me on a brief hold then stated I would need to speak with someone in IT Support. I was then transferred to Barbara who had no idea why I had been transferred to her and why I was calling. Here we go again! I had to explain why I was calling and what I had just been through in the last 50 minutes. After that was out in the open she told me I would need to put in a ticket. Irate, I hung up the phone and put in a ticket on their support website. I called back to the main line where I was greeted by Robert, again, who told me to send an email to sales@e-mds.com with the name of our practice, what software we were currently using, and would receive an answer in the next 24 hours. Did that ever happen? NO! My original ticket was put in on 01/09/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and another ticket was put in 01/16/15 (which has been assigned to a tech) and have yet to hear anything back. We have been with e-mds the last 4 years and hopefully this is the LAST year!!!! (if we can EVER get an answer how to export our data)
January 21, 2015
KRISTY D.
Service Admin
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
August 15, 2018

“EMD's”

ProsThe patient information was easy to access. It was compatible with Phreesia
ConsThe charting was so many clicks for the doctors
August 15, 2018
David B.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
October 16, 2019

“Don't Do It!”

OverallOverall experience is very poor. STAY AWAY FROM EMDS..
ProsThe system is ok when its working correctly
ConsVery Very POOR customer service. Continuously running slow, freezing and disconnecting. We have been using Emds for 6 years and have regretted the move ever since day 1. They lie to you to get you on board and the hidden costs are ridiculous. We have finally decided to move away from emds. If you sign on with them, you too will regret it. Their customer service has to be one of the worst in the industry. You have to submit a ticket and it usually takes 2-3 weeks to get a reply.
October 16, 2019
Clarenc B.
November 23, 2016

“Cost me over $50,000 in Medicare Penalties”

OverallEMD's has not updated their software to make them compliant with PQRS data retrieval required by Medicare. We have had EMD's since 2009. PQRS and Meaningful Use are Medicare requirements. EMD's has not created an update that meets these requirements. Our practice has lost over $50,000 because of this. We were able to salvage an additional $75,000 loss by hand counting and collecting some data required by PQRS. This came at a significant employee cost. Other EMR systems such as Modernizing Medicine are up to date with their ability to gather the data required by PQRS and I strongly recommend that you look at that product or others.
ProsGood accounting module
ConsNo support for upcoming Medicare requirements on data collection --- PQRS and Meaningful Use.
Recommendations to other buyersGo elsewhere for EMR software. I suspect this company is not putting resources in product development because they are soon to be sold or going belly up.
November 23, 2016
Temeka A.
August 22, 2009

“too complicated”

OverallDo not purchase this system if you are not in the medical field.
ProsAlot of fancy features and built in wording to make documentation quicker.
ConsThe systemis sold as a "For All-Be All" and its not. The system is great for medical practices. However, being a mental health company the system is very difficult to function by a nonmedical person. Too many clicks to get to where you want to go when it comes to customizing your own data. The representative was thoroughly trained in the system. However, when it came time for us to use it was too much and the company return policy is a trap. The company has a week-long training. We purchased the software but had to wait over a month to get in the training class. While in Austin, we verbally explained that it was not what we thought it was and too difficult for our staff. Then I requested a refund, which was denied because it was past the time frame. Keep in mind we did not even get in a training class til over a month later, which meant that we were out of thousands of dollars by this time.
August 22, 2009
Jarrett L.
Medical Practice, 501-1000 employees
July 31, 2017

“Bad and getting worse”

OverallDon't buy this software. It is nothing but frustration. I'm currently transitioning to another EHR.
ProsI've been using EMD for about 6 yrs. It was not so bad in 2012. The best thing about EMD is that I wont have to use it after I'm done getting set up with another company's EHR.
ConsThey refuse to fix any of the issues. The program randomly removes the medication from the active med. list. Sometimes meds cannot be printed and if controlled can't be sent electronically either. The IT "support" will often lie to you when calling about an issue. Every update causes the program to crash.
July 31, 2017
Noelle D.
Case Manager
November 28, 2018

“My Review!”

OverallOverall, I enjoyed using e-MDs in the past.
Prose-MDs is an awesome software that I used in the medical field. It is pretty self-explanatory and easy to use.
ConsWe often dealt with having to restart the software or shut it down completely. I am not sure why, but it happened way too often and sometimes you would lose your work if it froze on you.
November 28, 2018
David B.
October 4, 2014

“Very poor responses from customer service”

OverallOn the surface, E-MDs is setup to work great and has a lot of great features. Once you buy in, it's terrible. We have been with them for 7 months and still are not functioning properly. If you need meaningful use, forget E-Mds. When you put a ticket in, well, don't waste your time. We have the cloud based and it has been a nightmare. What was suppose to cost us under $5000 to start up has cost in access of $20,000 and we still have features that are not working. I would suggest another system all together.

By e-MDs on October 10, 2014
Thank you for your continued patience as we work with your clinic on the issues and challenges you are experiencing in your first months using Solution Series. Transitioning to a new EHR and a new hosting provider can be a long and sometimes daunting process especially as you are seeing patients. As we work with you through the issues, our hope is that you will begin to reap the benefits of using Solution Series. We will continue to work with you to ensure your success.
October 4, 2014
Anita R.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
September 26, 2019

“Just do not buy”

OverallI would never purchase or recommend anyone to purchase this product. Customer service is the pits.
ProsBetsy sales Rep- It's not her fault she has to handle everything
ConsAdministration, building schedules, patient charts, Prescriptions, reporting. We do not use the billing portion thank goodness. Calling service is a joke. I waited over 2 months for them to add a provider to my group and I continually called, sent emails, logged cases. I had to wait almost 4 months for them to install the new patient portal named UPDOX after they upgraded to 9.1 and didn't realize the old patient portal would not work anymore. It is difficult to get them to do anything in a timely manner.
September 26, 2019
Shikha M.
December 5, 2017

“Medisoft just got bought out by EMD”

OverallAvoid like the plague
ProsI have not been able to send secondary claims for over a month... and EMD's are of no help! I will have to print the claims and submit them manually
ConsI have not been able to send secondary claims for over a month... and EMD's are of no help! I will have to print the claims and submit them manually
December 5, 2017
Evan D.
Management Consulting, Self-employed
March 25, 2019

“Down at least 50% of the time; asking for fixes--nothing happens”

OverallProviding patient data and patient-MD communication
ProsMenu is OK although sometimes buttons don't work
ConsThe messaging functions often simply don't work. The test results functions rarely work. You can't get any help. When you tell the MD's office they have a problem, mostly nothing happens, so they must be having trouble getting a hold of eMDs Solutions. MD's staff even agrees that their Portal is terrible. There are many bad portals out there, but this is among the worst I've expereienced--and this has been going on since it was installed! These guys have a long way to go to re-earn my trust.
March 25, 2019
Elan N.
Practice manager
January 4, 2018

“practice manager”

Prosthere were pros 10 years ago as one of the first EMRs, now they are behind the ball.
ConsStay away. There are much better systems available than this one. Customer service is horrible can never get a hold of anyone
January 4, 2018
Katalin W.
Doctor
Medical Practice, Unspecified
July 22, 2016

“No support”

ProsThe patient portal worked for a year and everyone benefitted. Too bad it has been useless for 2 years.
ConsThe list is endless. You have to build everything on your own. Very cumbersome, labor and click intensive. Feels like a bottomless pit: keep feeding data (by hand in it) and not get any benefit out. Absolutely no support. Etc.
Recommendations to other buyersLook elsewhere. You will regret getting this system. I wish I found a review like this before buying this overpriced, user unfriendly system.
July 22, 2016
David A.
Physician, Owner, Manager
February 3, 2017

“Dr. David M Andres”

OverallThe system has great potential but the customer service is unbelievably poor and frustrating. As a physician, if I treat my clients as badly as this company has treated my company over the years, I would expect to either have no clients or many lawsuits. I paid for a complete system and the the support. I get a partial system and spotty support. In fact for the past 5 years I have paid for a second IT service to help with the system.
ProsIf you have any computer knowledge then you can change templates easily
ConsThe company charges huge amounts for everything and provides minimal support even when you buy the premium support
Recommendations to other buyersDO NOT BUY THE SYSTEM UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATED!
February 3, 2017
Cliff D.
Business Manager
March 3, 2015

“Customer Service is practically non existent !!!!!”

OverallWe have been using E-MDs for 8 years and I can tell you that the software is capable, but the customer service needed to keep the software running properly is terrible. It wasn't like this until about 2 years ago when things seemingly began to slide down hill. Our IT service is constantly fighting to get answers and resolutions to the "tickets" customer service creates, which are then "closed" as resolved once they email back a response to our inquiry. Really!!!! The issue doesn't get resolved but they close the case anyway, and you will spend a lot of time harassing customer service to reopen the ticket and find a resolution. Also E-MDs has a nasty habit of rushing updates to market without proofing the software to make sure it works. We will typically hang on till the bitter end before we upgrade if the software is functional. TOTAL BUYERS REMORSE. At present our lab interface update will not install and we have been waiting 2 weeks to get this fixed.
March 3, 2015
John L.
September 21, 2016

“MD working w this system 6 years / tried Athena and went back to Emd. Portal needs improvement ”

OverallLike system and will continue to use it . Not had major problems with system or support. Hope they will update with new requirments of meaningful use / payment for performance etc. JL
Proscan do notes day before I see my regular patients/
Consreminder system not ideal pt needs cxr 3 mo example
September 21, 2016
P R.
March 3, 2010

“Sorely disappointed”

OverallWait or look elsewhere.
ProsWill do a lot of things. It is indeed feature rich.
ConsIts not very easy to do anything. First, its buggy. It crashes a lot. We had astounding implementation problems that were related to the software on our networks. It takes a million clicks to do anything. It destroyed patient care. It doubled my work load.
March 3, 2010
James R.
October 29, 2015

“WORST service anywhere”

OverallI have worked with a few EMR's in my line of work and never has customer service or software updates been such an issue as this company. I have seen 3 different companies have major problems with updates when they install them. Updating E-MDS software is something you should never do unless you absolutely need something in it. There is a 10% chance it will install correctly and a 90% chance that things will quit working once the update is installed. Completely working systems will be brought down by their updates. Their programmers don't understand that they are coding software for people to install and use that aren't also sql coders at least.
October 29, 2015
Gavin S.
Medical Practice, Unspecified
February 10, 2015

“Great Software, Non-existent support”

ProsGreat product.
ConsAbsolutely no support. It is almost to the point where you may as well learn SQL on your own to fix things.
Recommendations to other buyersChoose something else. This software is great, but you pay an arm and leg for support that is not there.
February 10, 2015
Luis A R.
Internist
January 25, 2015

“Customer Service is disastrous!!!!!!”

OverallI have been using e-MDs for about 8 years and customer service is very poor in Puerto Rico and in the states. The software itself is quite good and simple to use but when you need service, is a Mount Everest climb to get.
January 25, 2015
Daniel B.
August 18, 2014

“Very disappointing ”

OverallTech support is by far the weak link. Version updates are released with known major problems. I have used this system for 4 years and now I can't put up with e-MDS any longer. I would not recommend this emr company...the ship is going down.
August 18, 2014
Mark C.
July 3, 2014

“Great”

OverallUsed it steadily for over 6 years. I think it's a great product and did everything I needed. LOTS of functionality and extremely user friendly. Very customizable to your needs.
July 3, 2014
Nancy M.
Billing Manager
September 13, 2015

“Is there a Customer Service? Anyone in Sales? Does this company respond to prospective clients?”

OverallFor the past 3 weeks, I have emailed e-mds several times for a demo, and have not received a response. I have to agree with many others about the incompetency of the Customer Service and possibly, in my case, the Sales Dept. It may very well be the merger of the two EHR companies that usually is accompanied with less staff. The transition may have negatively affected them.
September 13, 2015
ismail h.
student
May 30, 2015

“I want to build this software”

OverallI want to build this software
May 30, 2015