Buildium Ratings

Overall

About Buildium

Buildium is the only property management software designed by property managers for property managers. Buildium's all-in-one, cloud-based solution allows property managers to be more efficient and take control of every aspect of their business - from accounting and leasing to operations and maintenance. Buildium services more than 14,000 managers of rental properties and associations in 46 countries - totaling over one million units under management. Learn more about Buildium

Katie S.
September 24, 2019

“Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds”

OverallAutomation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!
ProsI don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)
ConsThe vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but difficult to reorder. Also, would like to be able to load pictures in an area that show things like appliances/etc but not necessarily show on the listing If I enable "files" to be seen, then people can see ALL things under files - not just those pertinent to the properties they are enabled for. If I send an email to all owners or all tenants, it does not save under their individual communication logs - I have to go into a specific lease/tenant/owner/etc then go to communications to start an email otherwise it's not in the log. Would like to have multiple work orders under tasks - sometimes I need a General, a plumber and an electrician to complete the same task, for example. In the banking area, I'd like the property balances to reflect how much is deposit/property reserves so that I can see I'm where I need to be at a glance. I'd also like to be able to make more than one reserve account per property (i.e. taxes, maintenance) I'd like ONE application email - not one plus the credit check (maybe the app has a link to the chk
September 24, 2019
Erin V.
Construction, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“Jump on the property management software train with Buildium!!”

OverallThe benefits of utilizing Buildium for home construction companies are too many to list here. From management being able to see the project all at once and not have to look in different sections. Subcontractors being able to log their hours per project tasks for easy invoicing. Owners with the ability to go on and see how the construction is going, choosing selections, and keeping in contact with management. For bookkeepers the easy integration of Xero and Quickbooks online is fantastic. If you haven't tried Buildium and are looking for a superb property management software, sign up for their free trial and take it for a test drive.
ProsThere are several items within Buildium that by far surpassed other property management companies. The ability to upload subcontractor paperwork and have all the information in one place securely online with reminders set up when expirations or missing information is needed. The ability for everyone with accounts set up to communicate, check on tasks, and proposals all in one place for easy referral. One of the easiest implementations and setups for property management software. But the absolute best thing about Buildium for me anyways is that you can list as much information from sales, tasks, proposals, selections, etc. I truly believe that all companies need to keep as much information as possible on file and with Buildium you can put as much information as you need, place tags for easy reporting, and this information is for authorized users to see. To me, you can never have too much information and it makes is so much easier if you have a person leave and the new hire to move it and look at the information to be brought up to date.
ConsWhen I first started working with Buildium I wished that there had been a step by step workflow check sheet because at times I had to go and research if I was entering the data correctly. But that was quickly solved while speaking with Buidium's excellent customer support team members. Finally, I would recommend a Buildium forum where all users can go on and if they have questions can post it to the forum as another user may have had the same problem.
September 17, 2019
Nancy H.
September 10, 2019

“Gets the Job Done; Would like more Features”

OverallSoftware functions well and is reliable, Customers and Clients tell us they DO NOT like the portal and don't understand reports. I have volunteered to be in a user group to develop reports but have not been contacted yet.
ProsThe software is easy to use and fairly flexible; we do use it in some ways that are not intended to address unique situations. I also like that there is a forum for user requested features where the community can "vote" on improvements.
ConsDevelopment of new features that are highly requested by the community could be responded to faster. There are also some requests that seem more like fixing a bug than a new feature that are ignored completely. These are things that affect our staff on a daily basis, e.g. emails that are automatically sent to customers and clients that have a link to the message thread in the portal where they can respond directly in thread (which is a good thing)- - EXCEPT the link is so cryptic that the average user does not realize it is a link, so they end up emailing us and we spend countless hours copying and pasting just to try to keep our documentation complete. If the developers would make the link more apparent and/or make email replies automatically update the message thread it would be really great.
September 10, 2019
Neil G.
Landlord
August 30, 2019

“Buildium- Review”

OverallBuildium allows me to keep track of all my commitments and income in one place. I am much more organised than I was before I began using Buildium. Tax time is a breeze now.
ProsBuildium allows me to set reminder recurring transactions for 8 rental properties and my Uber driving so I can keep track of everything and never missing paying a bill. Accounting for the expenditure is guaranteed not to be overlooked. The bills are presented for me to edit, if required, so I don't need to type in all the details each time. The software saves me so much time and helps me be more efficient and effective. Reports for tax purposes are easy, especially when I am dealing with 2 countries with 2 different tax year start and end dates.
ConsThe software is designed for US use, so the banking and payments section is not suitable for Australia and New Zealand as they are different.
August 30, 2019
Jenna D.
Property Manager / REALTOR
August 26, 2019

“Great for a startup or simple management company”

OverallAgain this is really simple and great for the amount of money but Id love to see more improvements more often. I enjoy using the program and do find it be most of what I need.
ProsLove how simple this is to use! I personally didnt have a big bookkeeping/accounting background so setting up, implementing and using this was much easier than other software that is for more of an advanced user. Tenant messaging is great! Love the use of resident website.
ConsWish I could do more with the tenant emails, notices. I have to use a third party to get really cool looking emails/notices. You cant even really put in a image which would be helpful. Reports are customizable enough. As we are all different I would love to have more options for the reports not just on what info they show, or filter out but the actual width of columns, etc. I dont like to export to spreadsheet then edit. More ability to communicate with all parties on a work order, right now you can only update by checking tenant or owner. Would love to be able to send messages to vendors separate from tenants/owners. Also hate having to make a task then work order, it should really be just a work order. Then you can create a task for other things.

By Buildium on August 27, 2019
Hi Jenna, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We've noted your feedback on emails, reports, and work order communications, and will be passing them along to the appropriate product teams. Thanks again for the review! Best, The Buildium Team
August 26, 2019
Nicole G.

“best software”

OverallI absolutely love buildium
Proseasy to setup/use It cuts my job in half always adding more features online portal
ConsI went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

By Buildium on August 12, 2019
Hi Nicole, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team. Thanks again! The Buildium Team
Diane P.
August 8, 2019

“Buildium Builds Confidence in Our Owners and Tenants”

OverallI have come to rely on Buildium always being there when I need to enter information into the system or to generate a report or look up a transaction. I can't remember ever having a time when the system was down or not available. Not having to worry about this gives me peace of mind, and in a sometimes hectic environment, this is important. Buildium is dependable.
ProsI use Buildium daily and rely on it to enter information that will be used to generate monthly and annual reports. The finished product is easy to read and looks very professional. Our owners know they are in good hands when they can easily see where there money is spent and feel confident that we are protecting their investment. For our tenants, they really like being able to pay their rent on line, saving them time and money. If I have an issue that needs to be resolved, I know I can count on Buildium's customer service department to answer my questions quickly and accurately.
ConsI understand how this software works now because I have been using it for the past several years, however, there was a little bit of a learning curve. Because I know the limitations of Buildium and how to get around them, there is less and less that I don't like about the software.

By Buildium on August 12, 2019
Diane, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review. We know what a tough job property management can be, and we're so happy that we can help bring you peace-of-mind! We appreciate you as a loyal customer! Best, The Buildium Team
Eyal K.
Broker

“The Buildium Experiance”

OverallOverall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).
ProsBuildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.
ConsMissing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

By Buildium on August 12, 2019
Hi Eyal, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system. Best, The Buildium Team
Karen H.
President of the HOA
Non-Profit Organization Management, Self-employed
June 4, 2019

“Best investment of our HOA”

OverallBookkeeping and reports are easy to enter and pull. Reconciliations are flawless. When I figured out that we could save documents/invoices by entering all outgoing payments as bills first, it was GREAT! The approval process is really good for checks and balances in our management of the community. One of the issues that I believe will be solved in the next 10 years is that some of our most elderly residents (usually those in their 80's) don't like portals and believe that their information will not be secure. Younger residents don't seem to have the same issues (by younger I mean anyone under 80). In 2017, when we took over management from a management company, we had a treasurer who wanted to do accounting and tracking with spreadsheets and was literally afraid of online software. He was over 80. Because of the time it takes to manage a community as a volunteer, it is usual to have elder individuals involved in boards and committees. We have it down to a handful of those who refuse to go to their portals. Lastly, my request to have an online process for architectural control does not seem to have gotten to the front of the line. It would be so beneficial for us to have that to be able to streamline another process for self-management.
ProsBuildium has been great for our resident managed HOA. We did a thorough vetting job in choosing our management software, and it has lived up to what we hoped for. The books are right there, and we can allow anyone to see all that is going on at any time. Board members and volunteers have different levels of access, and that has made it easy for reporting. Resident portals are great, and the communication is easy.
ConsSize of documents/invoices you can is smaller than needed, so I often have to split documents into parts which is annoying. The email took doesn't allow cut and paste of a pdf into the body of text. I always have to send our newsletter as an attachment. Sometimes q & a does not answer my questions for simple things -- such as, I misspelled the name of a new owner, and it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to correct, because there was no answer provided in q & a. My biggest "complaint" would be that this is rental focused in some regard, and we have no tenants. We only have owners, and residents sometimes tell us they are confused by the things that say "tenants" or refer to rentals.
June 4, 2019
Jeff W.
February 19, 2019

“Great Product That Allows Scalability”

OverallBuildium has been overall fantastic. I allows me and my team to quickly review and address the most important details such as current & upcoming vacancies, work orders and unpaid rents. It creates easily readable reports such balance sheet, income statements and rent rolls.
ProsI like to start things with the end in mind. I knew I eventually wanted to own a large real estate investment/property management company though I was small at the time. I looked at several PM software products and even briefly used 2 before Buildium. The reason I began using Buildium is it had all of the features I knew I would eventually need. It was the only PM software that offered so many features and priced based upon only having a few rentals. Other fully functional PM software products require 50+ units to sign up or be close to cost effective. I now have 70 units and plan to stay with Buildium because of how functional and convenient it is. Not to mention the awesome customer support.
ConsBuildium constantly is adding and improving features. There are a couple of items I hope they eventually improve. There is a feature that allows for the creation of an electronic lease. During this process one can also set up initial financials/lease ledger. I have yet to use the eLease feature smoothly and I have to manually start the lease. Additionally, I have been unable to access the signed eLeases from Buildium though you do get an emailed copy. The other feature I would like to see created would be a simplified tenant transfer process. The current process of moving a tenant from one of your units to another is cumbersome.

By Buildium on February 20, 2019
Hi Jeff, Thanks for your honest review! We've passed along your feedback to our product team. We're happy you chose Buildium, and can't wait to continue to grow with your company! Best, The Buildium Team
February 19, 2019
betsy F.
February 1, 2019

“With just a few tweaks.. this would be an amazing piece of software.”

OverallGood - pretty responsive to every annoying call I make and I tend to be somewhat tenacious. thanks!
ProsTenant tracking, tenant ledger, and reporting of tenant payments. The tenant log on ease and the on line payment process. So for managing tenants - awesome! The features for managing the vendors for repairs - awesome! Love the bulk charges feature.. well designed and functional!
ConsSome of the interface features.. like when entering a charge.. I always have to scroll to save it... little annoyance.. but why? .. Tighten the window. Allow tabbing and the enter key to move through the screen. I don't want to touch my mouse! The big frustration is that I can't write a tenant security deposit refund check to multiple tenants - it is by law that all tenants be on the refund check - yes I have figured out workarounds - but it is silly. I now just physically write them on the finished check. It looks stupid - but I don't have time to do my workaround. Fix that! In addition, take a look at the " final report" for the tenant on their none of the important information is visible... (Call me - I can help you!) The really big thing that would be nice is already programmed with your bulk charges feature.. I want to be able to "Bulk distribute checks to a list of investors" What that means is -I have my list of investors and instead of putting charges on a ledger - put a check entry onto the bank ledger so I could print checks and send them. Using all of the features of the bulk charges - except.. bulk payment. ( We have investors for each building - we pay them dividends several times a year -- same percentage, same names ... but I have to manually enter them. YOU CAN DO IT... I would be so happy!!!!!!!
February 1, 2019
Paul G.
Property manager

“Buildium features review”

OverallBuildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.
ProsThe general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders
ConsI do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it) I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens. I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant online payment unless the full balance is being paid. This is a problem when tenants owe for late fees or maybe a repair expense. I would like to have the auto email option to send a work order to a owner even if the vendor has no email. It only gives that choice if the vendor has an email set up in the system. Some of our vendors receive work orders by phone or text or in person but the owner still needs to know what work is being done. It might be a nice feature for Buildium to store invoices in the system once a work order is completed. Not just the picture attachment spot within tasks and work orders. it it were a data base maybe or at least folders to store scanned copies. The work orders feature to add in the vendor parts and labors costs and description still seems cumbersome especially when dollar amounts are entered and then the book keep tries to pay bills. It may be we need Builduim training in this area. it should be a really useful feature. Sometimes Buildium seems to add double charges under tenants ledger info. Every now and then a random double charge pops up.

By Buildium on February 25, 2019
Hi Paul, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned! Best, The Buildium Team
Kari B.
Property Management Software Consultant
August 27, 2018

“Buildium is Easy to Use- always”

OverallI train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.
Pros*Ease of use cannot be overstated *Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious *Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners *Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links *Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles *Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple *Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better. * banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!
Cons*Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers - inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first. *Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications. Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property *Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.
August 27, 2018
Gary V.
Broker/Owner & Designated Property Manager
August 24, 2018

“My Perspective of Buildium's Property Management Software, as a Real Estate Broker/Property Manager”

OverallBuildium was great with helping me with all of my questions that I had regarding their email and text message features. I finally decided to take some time to take a closer look at the features they offered and when I did, I realized how much time I wasted by not using these features earlier. No more copying and pasting emails/photos and text messages to and from tenants and owners (not fun to do).
ProsI've been a customer of Buildium since 2010. I really like the fact on how Buildium saves me many hours throughout my workweek and helps me cover my tracks at the same time. This is helpful especially during the busy part of my day. One of the many great features that I like in Buildium's is the seamless integration they implemented into their software using a top rated property inspection software. It stores the inspection report with all of the photos and notes in one place for reference at a later date. I use my tablet onsite and the software does the rest. Another plus about Buildium is when I need to open a new work order (either onsite or in the office) for maintenance or a repair issue, I open the work order tab and everything you need is in one convenient place to manage the task from start to finish. Also, on Buildium's home screen, I have a dedicated section where I can review and update the progress of all work orders. In addition, each property manager has access to only their managed properties (specific authorization can be customized too). At the end of the day, all of this information is easy to locate, view, share and export and I know where to go if I need it. There Is So Much More...!
ConsThere's really not much that I could say about what I like "least" about Buildium. I say this because, they constantly make improvements and implement new features on a regular basis. There really is very little opportunity to say, "... I wish there was a better way to do this task..." They also ask for feedback on occasion and I like that too. I found that if there's a popular request made to Buildium they act on it and they implement those new features. All of their users can request and track new requests through their forum. A very transparent company who is serious about making my day easier, Buildium!
Monique D.
Community Association Manager
August 24, 2018

“The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management”

OverallI have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.
ProsThis software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape. They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time. Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy and personalizing the accounting categories to fit your business is a snap. It pulls up a roster of homeowners and when someone moves out, changing out the account name takes seconds instead of laborious work in other spreadsheets etc. The to-do tasks list is very helpful for sharing among a busy office. In a Buildium vs spreadsheet choice, I would pick Buildium every time for accuracy, professionalism and most importantly ease of use. I pull down a list and print up invoices from many time periods, and to email the late invoices, is simply a matter of 2 seconds to pull up the right file and hit the correct button.
ConsThe non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software. I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

By Buildium on August 27, 2018
Hi Monique, Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team! Best, The Buildium Team
Brett H.
August 24, 2018

“small owner owned property management company”

OverallMy overall experience has been great with one exception. SUPPORT. support has been exceptional when it comes to the usage of the software but when it comes to the syndication part it is subpar have had several cases open with no response or answer for days or even weeks. Right now I have a case open for more than 20 days that the person has yet to get back with me.
ProsI like the fact you can attach documents to just about every transaction, property, lease, tenant, and so fourth. I wish you could attach multiple documents to each. I like the automatic banking and online payment option. It reduces the time I have to make entries manually. I like the syndication option and wish it would push to even more websites. I like the tenant portal and the ability for tenants to log maintenance requests. I like the communication function. It allows easy documentation of all of my communication between me and my tenant. Basically all the features that allow automation and give me the ability to minimize my time managing the properties.
ConsI don't like the fact that if a payment is rejected the software doesn't automatically go back and apply the late fee base on the rules setup. I don't like that some transactions can only have one attachment. I don't like the fact that you can't setup recurring general ledger transactions. I don't like the fact that you can't text multiple numbers at once. I absolutely hate the format of the excel reports. It would be great if the reports could combine both properties and company as well.

By Buildium on August 27, 2018
Hi Brett, Thank you for your honest review! We're sorry you've haven't had a great experience regarding syndication. A team lead from our support team will be reaching out to you to discuss your experience with syndication further. Best, The Buildium Team
Pamela J.
February 2, 2018

“We have been using Buildium for just over two years now and I could not love it more!”

OverallI had been using a DOS based management program for nearly 20 years and had to go online due to the changes in technology. It was a very stressful time trying to find a program that could do what we needed and was affordable and that I could manage on my own. Buildium has been the answer. We LOVE the online payment option for our tenants and landlord. We LOVE all the reports and the way the accounting process is set up. Most of all, we LOVE the excellent customer support we recieve from the Buildium team. The whole experience has been outstanding.
ProsThe customer service is OUTSTANDING! There is no way to be able to solve all the problems of transitioning to a new program on your own; I tried that with another program, using the excellent documentation they had provided but was never able to overcome some of the posting problems I encountered. I ended up frustrated and stressed out from being unable to understand how the program wanted me to do things. However, when I ran into any problem with the Buildium program, all I have to do is submit a support ticket. I normally recieve an answer back within 24 hours. If it is a serious problem, I call customer service and I am ALWAYS able to reach a LIVE, FRIENDLY, American speaking Specialist that is able to see what my program is doing and walk me through the problem to the point that I can manage it and they always explain what is going on so I can understand it!! It is the absolute best program I have ever used, in any field, in my entire 40 year career in Property Management! And they are constantly updating the program and making it better! I don't think I have ever been happier with a buying decision in my life. I highly recommend this program and company to anyone who is going to be managing real estate.
ConsThe ONLY thing I can think of that I don't like about this program is that one of the report sorts I use is done by the owner first name, instead of last name and the security depsoit breakdown report is done by Owner name, instead of the Tenant Name. Other than that, I can not think of a single thing to complain about. It is a great company!

By Buildium on February 6, 2018
Hi Pamela, Thank you for leaving your review. Your opinion is invaluable to us and we're so pleased to hear about your positive experience with Buildium! Best, Elizabeth Gill Senior Customer Marketing Manager
February 2, 2018
Sheila L.
Real Estate, Unspecified
June 6, 2014

“Like Buildium so much!”

ProsWe're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me. I like the ease of using the program; I quickly adjusted to it. I seldom need to call customer service, as I can figure things out myself 90% of the time. As time goes on (we've been using Buildium only since December 2013), I keep finding new reasons to like the program. I haven't even used all of the capabilities that it offers. The lease ledger setup, entering payments, check writing, using reports, figuring out where we are in our bank account, and more are easy. I love how if I make a mistake, correcting it is easy, which wasn't the case with our old system. What I really like about the program is that Buildium tweaks its program frequently based on input from customers. They seem to listen to customer needs and make changes. I've really noticed this, and it is very positive! When we were looking at new software cost was important, and Buildium offered one of the best values. But because the cost was so competitive, I worried that we might regret going with Buildium. Some of the other companies really pushed their software hard and put down Buildium and some other companies, but we're happy now that we've been using Buildium for seven months, and we have no plans to go with any competitor's software in the future.
ConsThe system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.
Recommendations to other buyersDon't let the hard sell tactics from other companies that are more expensive sway you from trying Buildium. They will tell you that their product is superior and that justifies the higher price, but I have found that our company, with about 140 units, fits very well with Buildium. I would definitely say that you should ask for an online demo at the minimum.
June 6, 2014
Kelvin H.
Real Estate, Unspecified
3.5/5
March 25, 2014

“Pretty good software for our small property company”

ProsThe software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features. As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email. There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online. There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.
ConsThere is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).
Recommendations to other buyersIn our research for software that would help us keep track of our rental properties, Buildium kept coming up as the top-rated software. As it turns out, our overall experience has been positive, and Buildium gets high ratings for a good reason. Clearly, Buildium could handle a lot more than our six properties demand. If I had more properties, I would test Buildium first by putting just a few properties on it so I could figure out how best to use it.
March 25, 2014
ANGELA O.
Onsite manager

“User Reveiw”

OverallI have found that this product has helped me keep accurate ledgers, and ensure that my accounts are current in real life as well.
ProsI find this software to be very user friendly. I had little to no experience when I was first introduced to this product and found it very easy to navigate. Their training videos have been helpful in learning the software as well.
ConsOne of the things I have noticed with this software is that you have to individually mark for an email receipt to be sent. I feel like there should be an option to automatically send the receipt upon payment acceptance. I often times forget to hit this button for those that want the email receipt. If I could assign this function for all transactions when setting up the unit it would make things much easier. I feel like this software would benefit from a little extra space to add in LIHTC information to individual units.

By Buildium on September 6, 2019
Hi Angela, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You can set up automatic payment receipts by navigating to Settings > Application Settings, then click Residents. From there, scroll to the Payment Receipts section and select to automatically send receipts. Thanks again for leaving your feedback! Best, The Buildium Team
Leuri Z.
Owner/Property Manager
February 25, 2019

“Buildium - Easy to Use, Improving on Features”

OverallI know Property Managers trying to manage properties using spreadsheets. I can't imaging trying to run 41 units on a spreadsheet so I love the ability to compartmentalize all the components of Property Management. I love the ability to receive all payments, including cash, electronically without having to run a deposit to the bank. While I think your Customer Tech Support is great, there are times that I am able to figure out how something works and why it works that way, faster than Tech Support and sometimes they can't figure it out, I have to tell them the logic behind how it works.
ProsUser friendly, accounting functions easy to adapt and correct. Great tech support. Integration of application information porting to Tenant ledger is improving. Like the auto transactions to move Pre-paid rents to actual rents.
ConsInability to edit a task description. Inability to run a "snapshot" report for some GL accounts (which always pick up the current balance instead of selecting the balance as of a given date, lazy programming). Appfolio features integrated leases as a basic feature, not an additional service for elease, which is cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. Appfolio also provides a scheduling feature at no additional charge. However, Buildium's accounting/office backend is vastly superior to Appfolio. Overall, I like Buildium and its'user-friendly platform.

By Buildium on February 27, 2019
Hi Leuri, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback directly to both our product team and our customer care department. Thanks again for your honest review! Best, The Buildium Team
February 25, 2019
Angelica T.
Broker
August 19, 2019

“Great job at making the relationships between tenants and owners”

OverallBuildium has freed up a lot of time during the application process, the manual rent payment processing (thanks to ePay), and allows me to store relevant documents (leases, copies of repairs) online and accessible at any time.
ProsI like that I can upload and save data that I need while out of the office, and have current information at my fingertips as this is an online based system. No need to run back to the office and dig through a filing cabinet. I love it when tenants pay online and Owners sign up for direct deposit, ePay is a must!
ConsI do not like that I don't get a warning message if I attempt to double charge a management fee for the same period.

By Buildium on August 21, 2019
Hi Angelica, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We will take your feedback around a warning for management fees back to our product team. All the best, The Buildium Team
August 19, 2019
John R.
Managing Partner
September 6, 2018

“Buildium has grown with my company”

OverallMy company was been with Buildium since 2009. I have been very pleased with the platform, but have been especially impressed with their customer service. Any time my team has an issue, Buildium's reps are quick to respond. I've also had a great experience working with our Customer Success Manager, who has kept me in the loop on new features and given me opportunities to directly offer my feedback to the product development team. I have been very transparent with everyone in saying that Buildium does 90% of the things I would like it to do...and I'll add they do them very well and at a reasonable price. The last 10% are things that are (in part) best accomplished by "playing nice with others" via an accessible API. I sincerely hope that Buildium keeps its forward-looking approach it has displayed of late and continues innovating and listening to the needs of its customers. If they do, I look forward to continuing to grow my organization with Buildium playing a key role.
Pros*Interface is clean and easy to navigate *Great learning platform (Buildium Academy) *Well-priced vs competition *Continually adding new features *Fantastic customer support *Product development team has been very open to hearing our experience
Cons*Could use more customization in reporting, though they have made some major strides recently *Dashboard is limited and doesn't give as much info visually as I'd like *Closed platform (API) only working with their chosen vendors *Geared more toward single-family properties vs multifamily (could use a make-ready/turnover board) *Limited workflows/checklists around repeating tasks
September 6, 2018
David H.
CFO

“Solid Package”

ProsIntegration of most PM tasks--accounting, billing, payment processing, inspections, property marketing, communication.
ConsAccounting is clunky when using credit cards for property repair materials and outside vendors; no way to send mass texts to tenants (yet).
Mary G.
Financial Manager
August 22, 2019

“Excellent software that is constantly looking to improve itself and its value”

OverallWe have loved being users of Buildium and have continue for almost 10 years. The value, quality, and efficiency it adds to our business is truly worth its subscription price.
ProsWe love that Buildium is constantly looking to ways to add value to our daily work. We have integrated Happy Inspector into our protocols due to its ease of use and integration into Buildium. The work orders and online portal are phenomenal additions as well.
ConsWe find it very difficult to manage accounts with many tenants. Sororities and fraternities with multiple payers must be divided out via a spreadsheet to truly see where the payments are being made.
August 22, 2019
Tom M.
January 24, 2018

“Staff has been excellent. Software is very good. I like that they listen and will add features!”

OverallSaves time and allows better communication with tenants
ProsEase of use. Very intuitive design. It is customized for Property Management and for rental owners.
ConsTheir are a few functionality items that I would like to see added. I do understand that it is not efficient to add a feature based on only a few people requesting it. The reset password link to tenants needs to be looked at. When you reset a tenant password, the link expires after 10-15 minutes. That pretty much means you have to be on the phone with them to make sure they are in front of a computer when you reset. However, most of our requests for a reset come via e-mail and when we respond and do the rest, we can not guarantee the end user is going to take action right away. I understand security, but a 24 hour expiration on a password reset would be more reasonable. Security-wise,...if someone hacks into a tenant user account the only thing they can really do is post a work order or pay the persons rent for them. Hacker has no reason to get into someones Tenant account so no need for such short time frame on password reset procedures.

By Buildium on January 29, 2018
Hi Tom, Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! In regards to your comments around password reset timing, we realize this can be inconvenient and are actively working on a solution so tenants can request a new password after expiration without needing to contact their property manager. Stay tuned for an update. Thank you again for your honest feedback!
January 24, 2018
Michele F.
September 4, 2019

“Easy to Use; Customer Service is Excellent”

OverallMy experience is good. Sometimes it takes awhile to figure what words I need to use in a search if I have to learn how to do something.
ProsI like that the software is a no-brainer and I can usually get things done quickly.
ConsEach month I have to print reports for 2 associations and the reports must contain the name, address, email, and phone numbers for each. The names and the email addresses change. It would be great if we could add and keep the names in the Report Settings so all we'd have to do is click on the saved info. If I forget to change the information I have to go back and re-print the reports with the correct info. I'm a really small company and Buildium is expensive for me.
September 4, 2019
Jaron B.
Director of Operations
August 16, 2019

“Buildium is great!”

OverallBuildium has been a tremendously positive influence in our company and has helped us grow at the rate that we have!
ProsIt is easy to use and allows people of all technology skill sets to be able to figure it out. The tenant communication features are awesome and we use them as often as we can. E-leasing is great too!
ConsIt is difficult to track which units are down, or being renovated, or being turned etc. There is only one distinction of vacant or rented. It does not allow for us to track the projects well at all so we have to track those manually outside of the software. For full buildium integration we need a tool to allow us to do that better

By Buildium on August 21, 2019
Hi Jaron, Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review! We've taken note of your feedback on unit statuses, and we'll pass it along to our product team. Thanks again! The Buildium Team
August 16, 2019
Kirsten G.
Managing Broker
February 14, 2019

“The problem we have with Buildium”

OverallWe really do like Buildium (a lot) in so many ways; however, we continue to try out other software ONLY due to the tax issue causing us audit issues.
ProsTo many to list - I really like all of the many great features.
ConsThe online help is mostly outdated/missing steps- it RARELY includes all the steps required resulting in calling the support line, using valuable time on hold & no assurance of receiving a call back, the time difference, we have a limited window as is. Being closed weekends& all holidays is very frustrating. The Academy is very basic entry and great info but we often are not in that perfect world, video of common problems would be very helpful from the helpline as they often say we see this a lot!! Only talking to the support line do you understand how to do perform the entry, this could Free up the support line for uncommon issues. For a Canadian Company it is very upsetting that GST has not been ignored for a long time, this is requirement by law and one that has cost us a great deal of time - it is not a wish or would like to have, it is an essential MUST have, yet, Buildium is working on improving features such as communicating more efficiently with texts, etc. These are great features but compared to Tax and Government it simply feels like you are not concerned with the needs of your Canadian Clients. We had an issue with moving in new tenants it auto applied a payment for the deposits, Buildium was over 4 mths replying&we had to bug Buildium for an answer. We missed it on 1 ledger cost us a lot of time trying to find out why our bank Acct was short. Still no solution, its now sporadic. I sure hope it isn't affecting any large companies. (only 3 con items :))
February 14, 2019
Naomi G.
Owner / Manager
August 8, 2019

“Runs my company for me”

OverallHaving the application, background check and e-lease all part of one system has increased the ease of converting an potential tenant into a real tenant, and the automated payment system and late notices has definitely reduced the chances of rent being paid late.
ProsBuildium automates almost all parts of the property management aspects of my job. From the online application and e-leasing to accepting rent payments and providing my financial reports at tax time. Whenever I find something that doesn't work about the software or that it doesn't do, I have contacted customer support who have been very responsive and shown me that intact the software does in fact do what I want it to. It has been a continuously positive experience and has honestly changed my experience of managing my properties.
ConsInstead of using the app from my phone, I log into the main site always as the app doesn't give me the information that I like to see regarding rent payments.

By Buildium on August 12, 2019
Hi Naomi, We're so happy to hear of your positive experiences with Buildium! We will pass your feedback around our mobile app to our mobile team. All the best, The Buildium Team
Stephanie M.
Property Manager/Associate Broker
August 28, 2018

“Buildium spells Property Manager's Relief”

OverallWe have been using Buildium for over 9 years now and it was by far the best decision for our company. Being a web-based system our staff/vendors have the flexibility to work anywhere with an internet connection and even on their phones. Buildium is constantly providing updates and new features to grow with their customers. Alexis is our customer service rep and she is fantastic!! They always listen to their customers and accept feedback and ideas. We continue to be impressed not only by their outstanding products for the Property Management industry but also by their excellent customer service and their fantastic, always positive, attitude in the process. Excellent product. Amazing people. We will continue to recommend Buildium without hesitation.
ProsThe flexibility of our company to operate and fully function without being in the office. Our staff can work from anywhere even from their phones. This has afforded us the ability to have live updates on all facets of our business and have a pulse on everything going on at the same time. We can even do it from the beach! I have also never worked with another company that is so willing to work with their clients to provide features and services requested. Their customer service is simply exceptional!
ConsThere are some areas that could be improved but we have submitted our ideas and Alexis is amazing and always working hard to ensure our ideas, concepts and feedback are heard by their software developers.
August 28, 2018
Christy L.
Maintenance + Services Manager
August 8, 2019

“Its a nice start but needs improvements”

Overallgenerally its fine, issues noted above. its just a little cumbersome and sometimes confusing and a lot of times inconsistent between online and app versions
ProsI like having all the information in one place, being able to add files and notes to properties, owners, and tenants is great. The built-in communication features are great, and the workorders are a big help.
ConsInconsistencies between the website and the app. Sometimes we cannot access files when using the app when I know they have been uploaded to the tenant areas. The app also doesn't allow the workers to see the contact information even when selecting a tenant. The name shows up but no way to see the numbers so we have to add it in the notes. The website allows us to categorize the workorders, but you can only select sub-categories AFTER it is entered, and subcategories are not customizable. Also we cannot delete categories we do not use. Also we cannot add multiple workers to a work order (or assign multiple work orders to a task would be an alternative). We also have problems with messages appearing within the tenant's communication tab, but not in the main messages notifications on the top of page. Those names also do not appear in the notifications list at all sometimes for every worker so we do not get notified of the messages properly. Financial pages are a little challenging to figure out cash available in an easy manner, the accounting style is a little odd, and it would be great if we had some training videos to share with owners and tenants on how to make best use of their portals. These probably exist in the help docs somewhere, we just haven't gotten that far yet.
August 25, 2018

“Great Software, Better People”

OverallOverall, our company enjoys using Buildium. We probably wouldn't be able to manage all the properties we have with our old system. Buildium has made us more efficient and improved our company's workflow.
ProsBuildium is everything you need as a property owner/manager. We have used Buildium for nearly three years and manage several hundred properties with it. It lists owners, tenants, and vendors. It makes your property accounting easy. Tenants can log in to their own portal and see their balance pay their rent. Owners can log in and see everything they need to see. The reports look good and are easy to read. When a property becomes vacant, Buildium can post that vacancy to multiple websites where prospective tenants can find the units. In my experience, though, the people at Buildium have been the best part about Buildium. They are helpful, they are considerate, and they are knowledgable. I have spoken and met with Buildium reps and each time it was a pleasent and enjoyable experience.
ConsThe software is big, it does a lot. This can be daunting to overcome for some (this shouldn't be a reason not to use it). Occasionally, you will come across something that doesn't make sense, but not often. Buildium is always updating and improving performance.
August 25, 2018
Lisa G.

“Ease of use”

OverallOverall it's a good software and we have been pleased with the ease of use and their ability to take requests and make changes to the software
ProsI really like the ease of use. It's pretty simple to figure out for both managers and tenants. Tenants are able to pay their rent online which has made collecting rent and on time payments so much better.
ConsThe software has the ability to take payments for multiple months however in order to properly apply them on the months when you need to it doesn't have an automatic feature. Also, it would be nice if there was a way to go to a specific tenant and make payments on multiple accounts without having to go out to each account separately. We have storage units as well as properties and some tenants have multiple units. They would like to only make one payment that could be dispersed to all the accounts instead of multiple payments. It would be nice if the property manager was able to do that as well. In addition, I don't like the integration of the mobile app for the software. It's clunky and difficult to use. The older version was more user friendly.

By Buildium on August 29, 2018
Hi Lisa, Thanks for your honest review! We just released an automatic prepaid rent feature in July! Our support team would be happy to walk you through how it works if you give us a call at 888-414-1988! Best, The Buildium Team
January 26, 2019

“Rental Management Software that just works!!”

OverallWe used to use QuickBooks, it is not geared towards property managers. QuickBooks has a set of vast libraries of functions to cover way to many different businesses. Buildium is made for just that reason. Buildium has saved us a lot. We no longer need a bookkeeper to handle the simple task of day to day entries.
ProsBuildium is an awesome piece on software, easy to learn. They have video tutorials for almost everything the software is designed to do. When I run into something I don't have time to go find the answer to I just call them, their support is the best. They have walked me through several situations in a kind and generous way. Buildium has tenant and property owner login pages so that they can see how or company is handling their properties, I can receive payments online. Tenants can submit repair items online as well. The list goes on & on.
ConsBuildium is not geared to do all of your bookkeeping in. If you chose to go this route there is some double entering that you will have to do. I think they should develop a setting that could be changed to do just that. My business keeps the money on the books, you have to redeposit the money back into the main business account on several of the functions if you plan to use it as your bookkeeping software.
January 26, 2019
Melissa S.
Broker/Owner/Property Manager
February 22, 2019

“Intuitive & Efficient”

OverallI think my overall experience has been very good. This software has saved me a lot of time and streamlines several things about my business. I am a "one woman show" and manage over 120 units pretty much by myself. I wouldn't be able to do that without Buildium.
ProsFor the most part, the software is pretty intuitive. I like the tenants and owners have their own portal for payments, communication, etc. Using them for the credit & criminal background checks makes it very easy. The software has features I haven't touched yet, but can't wait to get to! The customer service is very good. While I prefer to call and speak directly with someone, the ability to submit "tickets" and get responses that way is nice.
ConsWhen changes are made to the software, I don't receive notice of the change occurring, what it's about, what does the change mean to me, etc. Unless I know to go looking for it.

By Buildium on February 27, 2019
Hi Melissa, Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We release new features once a month, and you can find information on each item by clicking on the "What's New" bell in the top right corner of the software! We also have a What's New webinar every quarter - we have one coming up in March! Stay tuned for an invite to register in your email. Thanks again for your review! Best, The Buildium Team
February 22, 2019
Amy C Elkins H.
Owner / Broker
January 29, 2019

“Its good but not great”

OverallThey have been good and I am thankful for them. I have been actively researching other companies and considering seriously making a move. I almost did mid 2018 & their rep talked me out of it and I regret listening to her. They need to be able to keep up with the newest and latest technology that others are offering.
ProsIt does help you get organized & backs up all the information so you won't lose it. I like that it integrates our vacant properties to the web. But there is nothing they do special now at this point that every other big name PM software provider is not offering and some doing more cheaper.
ConsIt is not as user friendly as we would like. There are multiple steps to go through to get to basic info or areas you need to input that should be easier. It lacks some of the features that other companies have such as reporting to credit, collections assistance and their company they use for payments is horrible. I am not a fan of Forte at all! It takes too long to have electronic funds transferring. They take it from my account immediately but they are super slow everywhere else. I had how the book keeping is done in general. I wish they would collect fees from payments and not have the credit debit system with us because it is a nightmare doing your books t
Tarryn K.
Owner Property Manager
September 3, 2019

“The best property management software”

OverallI am very happy with Buildium. I love the online tutorials. I find I can solve most problems using the help function. Buildium has made my life so much easier.
ProsI love working with Buildium. It is very user friendly. I also love the accounting features. It used to take me hours to reconcile accounts and now I am able to do it in less then an hour max. I love the tenant portal and that our tenants can pay online. I also love that Buildium is ALWAYS improving. They take our suggestions and keep making the program more functional and easy to use. I will never use another program for managing my property management company.
ConsI wish that we were able to text owners and potential tenants from using the messaging service. I have to have a separate text service to message owners. I also wish there was a waiting list feature. It would be so nice to have all of that information in one place.
Linda E.
Realtor/agent
August 27, 2019

“Buildium utilization in Real Estate/Property Management ”

OverallProcessing applicants for lease properties efficiently. For the most part, quick turn around on processing, back ground checks.
ProsEasy to locate subject. For the most part, things are labeled in a manner that makes sense.
Cons1. I don't like the word "process" at the end of the lease application. It seems "submit" is better. We "process" applications; but, not until the applicant "submits" the application. The application fee is not charged until we click the "process" button at our end. Clients get confused as they think that means the application fee is being charged before I, the processing agent, even sees the application. I spend a few minutes each time I have a client who indicates they plan to apply, explaining that information. 2. There is not adequate amount of instructions so the client knows they will be required to upload/attach a file in order to complete the online application. The software requires at least 1 upload/attachment; but, it is not clearly apparent to the client. I get called often questioning why the system will not allow the client to complete their application for lease. I also spend extra time explaining that pro-actively to clients when I show them property.
August 27, 2019
Siddhartha H.
Accounting, 51-200 employees
August 23, 2019

“Best property management assistant!”

OverallBuildium has helped to share the Rental Owner Statement with the clients, by directly providing them access to it, which allows them to view their rental income details. This software doesn't have much complications as compared to other Property Management software.
Pros1. Buildium is the one of the best software for Rental and property management accounting 2. It is fast and reliable. 3. It enables convenient emailing.
ConsThere are very less limitations to Buildium, it just sometimes, seems quite time consuming.
August 23, 2019
Jeff B.
August 12, 2019

“Buildium review”

OverallOutstanding balanced and vacant unit reports
ProsRevenue and expense tracking capabilities
ConsSecurity Communication with tenants not easy
August 12, 2019
Heidi H.
VP & Treasurer
August 8, 2019

“Best property management software for the price”

OverallI've called Buildium a few times throughout the years when I was trying to figure out the best way to handle an unusual transaction, and they have always been extremely helpful.
ProsIt keeps us organized! We can track amounts due, keep tenant lease docs at our fingertips, manage our vendors, pay our bills, screen our tenants, reconcile our bank accounts, receive rent, and correspond with our tenants all within the same software. I'm a CPA, so being able to do double-entry bookkeeping and run financial reports is important to me. But, this software is so easy, you don't have to be a CPA in order to be able to use it. Highly recommended!
ConsThere's nothing I don't like about this software.
Rachel M.
Account Manager
August 8, 2019

“Great Software, with a few minor bugs”

OverallSo far so good - good customer service, good feedback from our clients
ProsIt is very user friendly for our clients and keeps everything organized in on system. Pretty straight forward to use, has some great features for management
ConsThere are a few items that seem so obvious to have, but are missing. I can't customize reports, which is a real bummer. I can't print individual charges to an account, which is a real pain. Just a few small things.
Nicci T.
June 13, 2019

“Great for online payments”

OverallEh. I work in software onboarding/training and feel that Buildium should offer more of a guided set up. You're basically on your own and then they have a helpdesk you can refer to. The helpdesk and academy is good, but not great. Many times I can't find what I need and need to put in a ticket. I feel that the response times are not great and most of the time they are time sensitive issues (need a lease out today... need to accept a payment today and my epay wasn't set up), so i don't feel like they are empathetic to the customer.
ProsLove that my tenants can pay me easily. We offer a discount on rent to anyone who agrees to sign up for autopay in their lease. This keeps our tenants paying regularly and Buildium makes that aspect easy.
ConsI had originally purchased Buildium for the payment portion, but was excited that they had elease and full accounting features, but both of those are lacking greatly. Each time I need to send out a lease I run into trouble and have to put in a ticket. Because the ticket response time can be slow and I want to be timely for my tenants- I have yet to actually send a lease from Buildium and use another esign software. The accounting is clunky and not intuitive. Seems like there are a lot of clicks to do one thing and the reporting isn't super straight forward. If you buy Buildium because the price is nice, assume you will need to add on HelloSign or Docusign and potentially Quickbooks or something as well and factor that into your overall estimate.
June 13, 2019
Paul S.
August 24, 2018

“Best property management software out there!”

OverallWe have increased our communication with our tenants, have a more professional looking user interface, provide the ability for our tenants to pay rent via ACH online, switched over to eleases with electronic signatures, and now store all of our documents online within Buildium.
Pros I love the fact that it's web-based, so you don't have to continuously purchase upgrades to the software itself. Also, there are no back ups to make, because it's all maintained online. Anyone on my team who has access to our account can see what they need to see based on their role in the company. It's easy to track checks and deposits, reconcile bank accounts, keep track of management fees, bills to be paid, vendor contact information, lease documents, rent amounts, listings, and tenant contact information. it interfaces well with our website, so applicants and property manager don't have to deal with paper. Love the e-lease feature, the ability to do credit checks , and track our tasks from virtually anywhere. Also, Buildium is constantly adding new features based on the latest technology. It's awesome!
ConsNothing. I've had very few issues over the years and when I have, be a online support is superb.
Jenessa C.
Association Lead
August 24, 2018

“Buildium is the Best Around”

OverallWe have used multiple software systems for association management. Of all the systems we have tried, Buildium is the best around. They are constantly upgrading and improving their software, and they actually listen to user feedback and suggestions. We had the chance to meet with several Buildium representatives recently, and the experience was amazing. I look forward to continuing our relationship with Buildium for the long-term.
ProsBuildium is very user friendly and easy to learn. Their accounting program actually makes sense without having an accounting degree, and their reports are easy to read. Bill approvals are a great addition! We also like the use of their mass mailing/communications portal. Our owners and tenants love the ease of the owner/tenant portal.
ConsThere are still some improvements that we would like to see. Specifically, we would like to see more association-specific accounting, such as specific charts of accounts and bulk reporting options for each individual association. I am optimistic that Buildium is listening to our feedback and making improvements, however.

By Buildium on August 28, 2018
Hi Jenessa, Thank you so much for your review! Our team loved meeting with you this past month. We're focused on improvements for association management, stay tuned! Best, The Buildium Team
July 10, 2018

“Very intuitive software with broad feature set. Elaborate instructions to search for any questions.”

OverallGood software for a small to medium sized company. Easy to train on and use quickly.
ProsGood bang for the buck for Property Management software. The basics are all there along with good tracking features in comparison to other Property Management software. There functions are easily searchable on either the platform itself or Google, and the help desk is immensely helpful in implementing necessary tweaks and features to tailor to your specific business. The daily main functions have all been fairly polished within the last year, and run very smoothly. The software itself is easy to figure out and with some playing around, any person can become a power user within a few days of use.
ConsThere are some limitations in comparison to other Property Management software, usually not found until delving fairly deep into the platform. Smaller automated communication could be implemented or done better to bridge the gap between users of the platform. There are also some limitations such as format restrictions when sending physical letters through their EZ mail system, writing templates, and pulling reports to show what you want or need in specific ways.
July 10, 2018
Cory O.
Assistant Treasurer
June 13, 2017

“Home Run for self-managed HOA”

OverallThe "Buildium Academy" is a nice self-help feature. I consider myself fairly computer savvy, but this software is already extremely intuitive and has a load of tools to be able to teach yourself. I'm eager to expand what we're using because we haven't implemented any of the free website functions yet. As of now, we're simply replacing about half a dozen excel sheets which made a mess of our finances, but even if that's as far as we went with it I'd say it's money very well spent. The ad hoc reporting and tracking of our finances are really what we needed, and Buildium delivers with great results. But increasing the capacity to talk with the other residents in the community, submit maintenance requests, notify residents of payments due, etc. are all going to be really nice perks.
ProsThe ability to automate monthly charges for each unit according to the percentage of equity saves me a lot of time every month. The reports are all extremely easy to generate, and very customizable. This is a really low-cost solution that has been invaluable when our accountant passed away. It has brought us forward 20 years in terms of the technology we can utilize to manage ourselves, and all in the span of a few weeks and at no cost beyond our time.
ConsEntering payments in bulk is time-consuming. There is some capability there to do it, but it requires all of the units to be paid in full (and not carry any credit balance). I manage 39 units, and for me it seems like it's just faster to enter each payment individually. Accounting start date is set in stone. I began the application assuming I would use our old set of books for the first few months of the year, and Buildium for the remainder of the year. I quickly changed my mind, but not soon enough. It added a bit of work on my end to square that up. I still was able to begin our history from the first of the year, but had I chosen that from the get-go it would have saved a bit of time, and once the selection is made it's made for good.
June 13, 2017
Steve J.
June 7, 2017

“Easy to use and intuitive.”

OverallBuildium is a good choice for someone who manages at least 50 units or more. it is easy to learn and has more features than you will probably ever use but probably has ever feature that you want. The onboarding process and customer service have been great! They are continually upgrading and improving the software and will hopefully address a couple of the issues that I have.
ProsBuildium was an easy to learn and a great improvement over my outdated property management software. There are many great automated features such as automatic recording of online deposits, epay to vendors and owner/tenant portals that have saved me time and have improved communication with my tenants and owners. I like a feature that allows me to set convenience fee amounts for online tenant payments and allows me to keep the fees generated! This feature was the main reason I went with Buildium.
ConsI am new to online software so this may be common but I do not like how pending tenant payments post to my Buildium bank account before they show up in my actual bank account. A day or two later the payment is confirmed as funded. I don't think they should post until the payment is funded, not when it is initiated by the tenant. My previous software would calculate management fees on a payment only one time and would not allow you to double charge management fees. The Buildium management fee is just a calculator based on a date range. If you enter the wrong date you could easily charge another management fee on a previous rental payment. This has, by far, been the hardest transition for me. Their solution was to recommend only charging for management fees once per month which doesn't seem practical in property management. Most companies need the management fees to operate during the month. The best price point is for someone who manages 200 or more properties. I would like to see competitive pricing for smaller numbers of properties.
June 7, 2017
Sheila L.
Commercial Real Estate, Unspecified
October 3, 2014

“We Like Buildium”

ProsBuildium is easy to use, and we like the customer service. We like how you keep making the system better by listening to the customers. When you let us know at the top of the pages that a change is coming, this helps us.
ConsI'm always in a hurry and anything that would make moving around in the system faster is important to me. For instance, when going through leases, having to hit the arrow to get to the second page of leases means an extra click and extra time. On the banking page, it jumps back up to the top when I'm going through the most current checks and deposits. I remember that our previous system used to have a capability that when you tapped the arrow down on the side, it would take you right back to where you were working last, which I liked; it was a time saver. Also, it would be nice to be able to customize reports for tenants if I just want to print a list of the worst offenders where their balances are over a certain amount. I seem to have some trouble while navigating through Help, and sometimes the explanations aren't clear to me, especially with accounting info. I like super simple, and I think the explanations should be written for people who are just getting on board with the system or are new to property management. Once, I couldn't understand an explanation, and I had a gal e-mail a more simplified set of instructions, and I finally knew what to do. Their wait times on the phone have also gotten a little longer. I don't call customer service very often (maybe 2 times a month), but when I do, I really want an answer. Normally, I try the Help area in the system first. I waited the last time about 15 minutes, and that was the longest ever. And when I've called in the past after 2PM Pacific time, it's been really hard to get someone on the line.
Recommendations to other buyersI would tell people to not be swayed by pushy salespeople and lunches offered from competitors and to think about which capabilities are really needed. Also, read the fine print, as some of the salespeople of the competitors don't tell you what they actually charge and offer. It's hard to get the details out of them for comparison purposes; they don't want to turn you off so they evade.
October 3, 2014