Focus SIS Ratings

Overall

About Focus SIS

Focus/SIS is a flexible, scalable application that streamlines inefficient processes and offers schools and school districts a 10+ year product lifecycle, ensuring maximum ROI. Focus/SIS is a partner-source solution which opens the source code for collective development among large districts and creates the most flexible platform for data management ever. Learn more about Focus SIS

Rhonda O.
AVID Teacher/Coordinator
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
July 2, 2016

“FOCUS helped my students get into college!”

OverallI've been an AVID teacher/coordinator (college readiness) for 4 years, just long enough to see my 9th graders graduate from college this year. FOCUS not only allowed me to customize and provide required reports for an annual certification process, but it provided an easy checks and balance system for my students to continually track their grades, GPA's and rank. Over the years, I watched the "rank" game become a serious one among my students. Universities base everything on quartile with combined SAT/ACT scores. As an AVID teacher, my students knew their Freshman year what most TX universities required for admittance. Seeing it in print every day, watching ranks go up and down became a motivator for my students and over the years, GPA and rank became part of their vocabulary. They set goals, worked harder and I could hold them accountable because I had attendance records, grades, schedules etc. My own kids attend school 20 minutes away in another school district. It is more affluent, yet their district has nothing close to FOCUS. They contract a separate company to provide transcripts (something my students had at their fingertips) and I pay $3.50 for a copy. Most parents have no idea this is available, nor would they know what to look for if they had it. Having just resigned to seek a higher purpose, I am making it my mission to speak to other school districts about the importance of having an adequate student information system in place. As a result of my 4 year experiment using FOCUS, I had 25 first generation seniors graduate this year with 100% attending college, 85% attending universities and $1,486,000 in scholarships and grants alone. There are many districts who talk a big game about secondary education being the goal, yet they are unwilling to invest in a system that works for the student.
ProsIt provides information regarding purchasing and payroll, and a learning management system with a lesson planner, but I found it invaluable from a student's perspective. The student has complete control over his academic performance based on the transcript and grades before him. If he's college bound, and wants to earn scholarships or keep track of his rank, he can log into FOCUS on any given day and check it. He can track his attendance and see notes left to him by teachers. From a teacher's perspective, it provides any record one might need. As a coordinator who had to provide data for a certification process, it made my job much easier.
ConsI can't imagine anything out there could be better than FOCUS. If I find it, I will come back to this post and put in my CON. The only CON is that so many school districts don't have it or something close.
Recommendations to other buyersYes, I want to help you sell this product in Texas! We need it everywhere! I've made it my life's mission to ensure all students have the same opportunities to go to college, 1st generation or not. I don't think school districts know what to buy or why certain components are crucial to a student's success.
July 2, 2016
Chris C.
Education Management, 51-200 employees
October 24, 2018

“Great Student Information system”

OverallFocus is great for schools and school districts. It is the best student information system I have been able to work with since I've been in education.
ProsFocus is easy to organize by class, subject, and grading period. You can color code assignment types and tell focus the grade weights for each type, and let it do the math for you. It also has easy access to all student information, including schedules, addresses and parent contact information.
Consprinting report cards can be a difficult task as it is not exactly straightforward. Contacting support can be difficult depending on what level of user you are.
October 24, 2018
Delaney L.
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees
July 24, 2019

“One Stop for Teachers”

OverallThis software makes it easy for teachers like me to have access to everything we might need during a day. Once you get the hang of it, your life as a teacher becomes easier.
ProsI love how this product has everything a teacher needs all on one page. It is like the perfect platform for teachers to save time.
ConsI do not like how there isn't a one stop sign in for all of the other pages that are connected to it. It can also get confusing when navigating through different tabs and pages, as it is easy to lose your spot.
July 24, 2019
Wendy N.
STEM teacher
December 14, 2017

“Integrates multiple ”

ProsIntegrates not just grades, but student documentation and all other relevant information in one place. Makes it easier as a teacher to complete grades and attendance quickly. I like that I can see all student information in one location, finding address and parent info is a real advantage. I can also see student accommodations.
ConsIn the beginning the system was slow, and crashed multiple times a day. It has been better and easier to find information as the system has been modified getting more user friendly.
December 14, 2017
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 employees
December 3, 2018

“Pretty good grade book ”

ProsI like how easy it is to enter grades. I also like the grade book reports, it makes parent teacher conferences easier when I can show parents an overview of each assignment.
ConsThe system is down often, but that could be a district issue.
December 3, 2018
Kait C.
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
August 8, 2019

“Okay Option”

ProsIt's very easy to use for basic attendance and grading.
ConsI wish it were easier to customize data output within the software.
August 8, 2019
John J.
Assistant Superintendent, MIS
April 15, 2011

“Focus SIS”

Overall-Terrific product and a company that is growing to support it
Pros-All in one system with good features -Very customizable -Great portal for parents/students -Moodle integration -Focus really listens to customers and willing to do whatever they can to help
Cons-We were first big client so had to do a lot of implementation/support -Smaller company with not as much expierence as others -Needs better testing and change control
April 15, 2011