Chalk Ratings

Overall

About Chalk

Cloud-based solution for schools that helps teachers and school administrators manage curriculum, assessments, instructions & more. Learn more about Chalk

Sr. Brittany H.
Chair of the Theology Department
January 25, 2019

“Great Online Lesson Planning Portal for Educators”

OverallChalk has updated my method of lesson and unit planning, making my work more accessible and flexible.
ProsChalk makes it easy for me to plan my units and daily lessons, with the ability to shift them forward and backward, schedule days off, and save and reuse units between class years. I find it very helpful that I can open my plans on any smart device. Its moved me away from using paper plans or multiple Word documents to track my plans.
ConsA feature that would be helpful would be the ability bulk export individual plans as group or individual PDFs, aside from that, the potential of this software is so great that as a teacher, I recommend it to my peers and as a department chair, require my teachers to use it for their plans.
January 25, 2019
Kimberly B.
teacher
Education Management, 201-500 employees
October 6, 2019

“Lesson plan lifesaver”

OverallI switched from another lesson plan product to chalk and I'll never go back. Chalk has everything I need and makes my day to day use of the links, files, etc so easy to click and use throughout my day.
ProsWe started having to add our learning standards into our lesson plans a couple of years ago. I love that with just a click of a button I can easily find the standard I'm looking for. I also love that you can create a template and add it to your plans.
ConsI do struggle with getting the standards to print when I have to print out my lesson plans.
October 6, 2019
Angela C.
English Teacher
June 21, 2018

“Storing, Sharing, and reusing lessons is a breeze.”

ProsOnce I store a lesson here, it is there for future years, can be edited, and reused. Furthermore, as teachers on one team, we can enter our lessons here and share them, so that they are visible and can be used by all. This especially helps if you need to give a teacher access that works with small group pullouts, etc.
ConsWithin our district, there were several screens, and we would either forget to save before moving forward, or the information wouldn't take. We never could figure out why. This did make the entry feel cumbersome. Perhaps a one-screen versus tab option would be great, and instant saving every minute or so would be helpful to teachers.
June 21, 2018
Kim B.
4th grade teacher
January 16, 2018

“Once set-up, the lesson plans are easy to use! ”

OverallIt is easy-to-use, and makes lesson-planning much simpler!
ProsI have only used the Lesson Planning software from Chalk.com, and I find it very beneficial and easy to use. The initial set-up took some time, but that is expected, as I entered my class times, quarters, etc. I use it daily, with the plans up on my computer, and the printed off version in my plan book. It is easy to customize and change. You can can easily make units, and upload other lessons and pictures to each plan. It makes lesson planning a lot easier! Next year, as I will be teaching the same grade-level, I should be able to transfer over a lot of lessons. :)
ConsAs I said, the initial set-up is time consuming, but the steps are easy-to-follow. Customer Service will aid you when you have difficulties.
January 16, 2018
Jonathan K.
Education Management, 1-10 employees
August 16, 2019

“Great Lesson Plan Book for Teachers!”

OverallThis is a great tool to use as a teacher!
ProsI love this program! I can easily see the weeks plans or even the whole month. I can set up the school year myself!
ConsI would like it to be easier to share with a substitute for when I am out of the classroom.
August 16, 2019
Amy V.
November 9, 2017

“I love using Chalk.com. I use it to do my planning. It is linked to the Canadian curriculum. ”

ProsI love that it is linked to the Ontario Curriculum. I use it to plan and keep track of which expectations I have covered.
ConsI found it hard to get started. This year I am teaching SERR, found it a bit tricky to track the various levels I teach.
November 9, 2017
John C.
Educational/Leadership Consultant
June 16, 2018

“Great for lesson planning”

ProsI love the fact that the platform provides for the ability to store, modify, and reuse lessons year to year.
ConsThe collaboration piece isnt as intuitive at first as we'd hoped. It took some sitting down as a team to work through it. Now that we have its working well.
June 16, 2018
Jasmine A.
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
January 28, 2019

“Great free supplement for teachers”

OverallI find myself being more organized and having a better picture of how my lessons work for my students. Since all of my classes are displayed at once, I can see if my lessons conflict with each other or if I'm making a day for myself too busy and I can easily adjust my plans.
ProsI love that I can make a scope and sequence for all 3-5 of my classes and have them lined up in one place everyday. It makes planning and organizing a million times easier.
ConsThe only thing I dont like about it is the initial set-up of my classes. Once you figure it out, it is very easy.
January 28, 2019
Mindy K.
Special Education Teacher
May 11, 2019

“Lesson planning made easy”

ProsI am a very organized person. Anything that helps me to see what I need to do in an appealing visual way is worthwhile in my book. I like to see things quickly and clearly. Another thing I love about this product is that I can color code my classes. I like to be able to look for a color instead of a title. It makes quick set up between class periods even quicker.
ConsThere really isn't anything I dislike about this software. It is easy to use, and I haven't had any trouble with it.
May 11, 2019
August 1, 2019

“Great for Planning ”

ProsI like that I can put all my lesson plans in one place. It also helps that the standards for ELA are right in the app and I can just pick from a list. It compares great to other paid ones like Planbook.
ConsThe one thing this is lacking is 2nd grade Social Studies standards for Florida.
August 1, 2019
Romelia M.
Directora de la Unidad de Estudios Básicos de la Universidad de Orientr
May 29, 2018

“A friendly lesson planner”

OverallIt has helped me to plan the contents of my classes
ProsAn easy to use app, allows me to plan my classes, the interface is very friendly and entertaining. I use It daily
ConsIt bored me a bit that the initial set-up took a lot of time, but once that's over it's great and very simple to use
May 29, 2018
Zachary V.
teacher
June 25, 2018

“Love this product. It has made my planning much easier”

OverallMakes planning easier
ProsI like that it is linked with the ontario curriculum and keeps track of what expectations have been covered.
Conssetting up classes was a bit tricky. not all features work on IOS devices takes some time to learn the program
June 25, 2018
Isabel M.
Docente
March 25, 2018

“It is a good software. It permits to make lesson planning.”

OverallIt is a good software. It permits to make lesson planning. It is easy to customize and change. You can can easily make units, and upload other lessons and pictures to each plan.
Pros This software permits easily make units, and upload other lessons and pictures to each plan. It makes lesson planning a lot easier. It is easy to customize and change.
ConsThis software is difficult to get started because the initial set-up is time consuming, therefore there is be patient.
March 25, 2018
Stacy P.
Counselor
April 29, 2018

“Chalk makes it easy for me to organize and manage my classroom!”

ProsI love that I can access it anywhere and plan my lessons, manage my day and make sure my lessons are aligned with that I need to be teaching.
ConsIt can have a cost associated, but for individual teachers it is free! It takes a little time to get used to all the features, but it is worth the time!
April 29, 2018