Buildertrend Ratings

Overall

About Buildertrend

Join over 700,000 users and manage your home building or remodeling company with Buildertrend's award winning construction management software. Online scheduling, change orders, document management, photos, customer selections, warranty, purchase orders, lead management, and more. Cloud based, users login from PCs, Laptops, iPads & Phones. Automatic notifications help builders manage their operations real-time, providing their subs, vendors, and customers with a better experience. Learn more about Buildertrend

Dave H.
July 23, 2019

“Great way to track projects ”

OverallBuildertrend has made us look much more organized than we are, since the customer can see the project progress if they're tech savvy. We are also able to see cost of project and markups as we do proposals.
ProsThe best aspect of Buildertrend, would have to be the daily logs and customer ability to follow their daily project progress. Time tracking for employees, lead tracking, customer tracking, ability to sign projects electronically, receive payment online with minimal fees, and communicate with everyone involved with each project.
ConsBuildertrend is a bit convoluted and cumbersome for the small company like myself. Being out on the job physically working to make ends meet due to employee shortages, leaves me with little time for office work. When I do have time for office work, I struggle to find the time needed to enter enough information in BT, to get back what we are paying for it. The more we enter the more we benefit. BT was difficult to learn in some areas of the program, and upgrades sometimes require even more training. We struggle with scheduling, and getting project information to show up on quickbooks.

By Buildertrend on August 5, 2019
Dave, we appreciate you taking the time to give us a review and feedback! Continue to lean on your Buildertrend Coach and our Customer Success team for any help they can provide you.
July 23, 2019
Andrew B.
sales
July 2, 2019

“Robust program-needs refined”

OverallThe schedule keeps jobs on track. The PO process keeps costs in check. The time card keeps man hours job costed.
ProsIt provides a solution for managing a construction company
Consalthough the program performs many tasks, and even more than we need, it is glitchy and does not provide a smooth experience. When we click on windows to update budgets for instance, the windows flash and reload and resize multiple times. I have tried different browsers and different devices. This is not a user problem, but a problem with the way the data is served up. To perform some routine tasks, there is too many clicks required to get where you need to go. Too many windows and drilling down to get a number changed etc. Too many places for messages to be hiding. Customers send a message and think we have it, but we have at least three places to check to find the message. Sometimes, messages that come to email cannot be replied to. Very frustrating. BTW: We used Co construct for a while and liked the flow of the program much better. It ran smoother and was much quicker to get what we needed. It kept the spec sheet in front of the customer and kept good organization of communication. We switched to BT because of job costing and the time card feature, which we now understand are available with CC. Another huge grind, the budget sheet does not do a good job of showing the running cost on the job and whether we are over or under our budget (variance). Several reports can be created, but none of them do that. We have to export to excel and manipulate it ourselves. Seems like this should be a basic function. CC does this well also. Just sayin' :)
July 2, 2019
Katie H.
Operations

“Review ”

OverallI have used Buildertrend for almost 3 years now and I have appreciated having it.
ProsI like how easy BuilderTrend is to navigate and use. The system is definitely more user friendly than any other platforms I have used in the past. I also like how visually appealing it is, rather than only focusing on functionality, creators also focused on it being nice to look at every day, which truly does make a difference when working in the same program for hours every day.
ConsThe quickbooks connection to desktop is very very clunky and can can and has caused major issues for us in the past. In terms of accounting, there are somethings that could be better. I would like to be able to see what has been sent over vs. what has actually been paid out to a sub, so the builder can tell without having to ask the accounting department whether or not someone has actually been paid, a more detailed status report would be great. I would also like for it to play better with the "projects tab" in quickbooks. Quickbooks has made a great projects tab, but it is not usable without how the information is brought over. this may not be possible, but it would be nice. :) Buildertrend is designed mostly for custom builders in the way that it is designed to connect homeowners and use allowances. I would like in the future if there were more production building type features.
Jim K.
President /CEO
June 20, 2019

“Good choice for design/build residential remodeling”

OverallWith BuilderTrend, we've eliminated the need to have the classic "job binders" for our projects. Through the mobile app, we've enable our field carpenters and project managers to have all the accurate and current project information they need available on their tablets or phones. We've also enhanced communication with our client homeowners by enabling them to have on-line access to key information on-demand.
ProsBuilderTrend has been a good solution for us to enhance our project management capability and ultimate become our CRM as we've migrated from an older CRM system. The subcontractor management and bidding, client selections, project management and scheduling, and client invoicing have all worked well for us, especially with the links to QuickBooks. We've recent adding timekeeping for our field personnel which also has simplified that aspect of our process. We also have enabled the client portal to allow our homeowners to see their selections, contracts, change orders, drawings, and payment schedules. In the 5 years we've have been using BuilderTrend, we have been impressed with the enhancements that have enable us to consolidate more of our software to BuilderTrend.
ConsMigrating old client data did not work well and we were not provided great support with this task. The front line support people were not up to the task and continually blocked us from dealing directly with their development people to come up with creative solutions to this problem. As a result, our old client information does not have accurate date records from when they became clients. Also, as new capabilities and features are added, the custom fields that we created are no longer needed but are difficult to remove as the past information is dependent on these now redundant data elements.
Jen B.
June 20, 2019

“There are a lot of kinks that need worked out”

OverallJob costing has been more accurate than using spreadsheets (As long as people bring me receipts and clock in to the correct job, which has been a challenge). Customer communication has improved, and thus, customer satisfaction has improved.
ProsI like the sense of security it provides to our customers since they can log in and see how their job is doing.
ConsIt does everything, but it doesn't do everything WELL. For instance, it does time tracking and GPS tracking.... but it only tells us where our guys are when they clock in and out. It doesn't give us a map of where they went the whole time like T-sheets did, so we have no way of knowing if someone went to the job site, clocked in and then left. It sync's to Quickbooks for payroll, but not correctly. It sends over all of the guys time as Regular time. I have to manually input their hours if I want to pay them for their overtime. It has this Buildertrend Flat Rate Code that nobody can edit or delete and it causes a lot of problems for us. The list goes on..... Whenever I ask them if they can help, I'm told, "Well it doesn't have that feature." Then I ask if they can put in a tech request, but they go on telling me how I should do it online, it will be more effective. That's not right. They should be able to put in a tech request for me and have it be just as effective as if I did it online.
Stephanie G.
General Manager
June 14, 2019

“Great Customizable Software ”

OverallPrior to Buildertrend, we had to use three programs to manage our jobs and purchase orders, now we just use Buildertrend. We are saving time and are able to keep everything in one spot!
ProsI love that buildertrend is so customizable. The software was able to be tailored for our specific needs while many of the other programs we looked at were not. The purchase order feature has allowed us to streamline and reduce our expense processing time. The app works well for our field operations and sales reps. Tech support and online chat people are very helpful in quickly answering questions.
ConsAlthough it's infrequent, we sometimes struggle with internet connections in storm/rural areas and the software does not have an offline mode. I dislike the receive payment feature as you can't record a payment by itself, you do it inside the invoice and although you can receive partial payments, you can record multiple checks in the payment box
Jamil S.
June 13, 2019

“Good PM Software if you think outside the box”

OverallOverall I am happy with our investment into Buildertrend, but we have also put a lot of work to get it working for what we need. It can be very time consuming to solve how you operate in Buildertrend unless you use it at a very basic level. They really need to walk you through how to set up and use Buildertrend as a new user and how to more fully customize it for your company needs. I have not been very pleased with how slow and unresponsive they have been in implementing changes. They need to take customer feedback more seriously and utilize their customers who are heavy users to help show them how to improve the software.
ProsI really like that there is unlimited storage and that since it is cloud-based, everyone sees the same data as soon as it is entered. There are also ways to customize the software in several areas, especially To-Do's. Permissions are very granular which can be good, although it can be complex as well.
ConsUnderstanding how all areas of the software interact is complex, you can't customize fields in Events/Schedule, most of all I dislike the search and filter settings. They are very poor and make it hard to deal with large data sets. Their filters are missing exact matches between items in the same category. There are a handful of other little complaints, but they really need to add custom fields to Events and then update their filter settings to allow exact matches only and also use standard search engine criteria in the text fields.
Ed S.
June 13, 2019

“A great Project Management and Communication Platform”

OverallMy overall experience with Buildertrend has been positive. I run a small homebuilding company, and this tool has allowed me to organize my workflow and communicate with my customers and my sub-contractors efficiently. The iPhone App works great, and Buildertrend allows unlimited storage so I can upload all my pictures into one place for my records. Great Platform! I can't say enough about my Coach and Buildertrend University. Exceptional experience as well!
ProsI like that it is easy to use. I also LOVE the iPhone app. Once everything has been loaded, I can send large files, communicate effectively, and raise the efficiency of my team and sub-contractors. I also Love the ability to template a project for easy set up of a new project!
ConsWhen building significant line item estimates, the browser page has to refresh each time as you switch from the budget tab to the estimate tab. Even with a fast connection, it takes a bit of time to update. Not a big complaint since you can upload a spreadsheet from excel for the initial set up.
Dan D.
General Manager Operations
June 13, 2019

“Buildertrend functionality and compatibility with Residential Renovation Company”

OverallBuildertrend has proven to be exactly what we were looking for to track daily functions such as Daily logs, change orders, purchase orders etc. The real time inputting of mobile devices and the function of the mobile app are very thorough and invaluable. The new internal user permissions are a bit more difficult to individualize. Edits affect all users within each label so the only way is to create a new title to edit a single user.
ProsA great construction management tool. Offers flexibility in formatting of different components within the program. Leads are easily tracked with notifications, summary page is very thorough and useful, job info, templates, scheduling, daily logs, To-Do's, Change Orders, time clock c/w geo-fencing, docs & photos, surveys, estimates, bills & PO's, Budget and owner invoices all flow well and again are customizable to fit individual company needs. Owner view is a great option and allows for owner participation and information flow.
ConsNo tax module is addressed within the system. This adds a lot of steps and confusion to make sure taxes are added independently in QuickBooks Online (QB). It also confuses the customer on their Buildertrend site. We send all invoices out of QB for contract invoices and change order invoices. A big negative. A great management tool but weak on the interface with QB.

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Dan - thank you for your review and feedback! I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.
Mark M.

“Builder Trend Review”

OverallIncredible team product. It takes a lot to learn and get everybody on-board but it ties all parts together in an organized system that can be shared by all on the team. The Daily reports and budget are the most important part to running the business. I know more of what is going on in each job now than when I would try to visit them daily. Great program I do not know how we managed without it
ProsDaily Reports, Budgets, Owners Portal , Lead tracking and use. file management great. All information is in one place & organized. The To-do Ap is great and has a task check off sheet which is great except for one fatal flaw.
ConsMessaging comes from Buildertrend and not from our own email or our name in front. Confusing clients, reducing branding opportunities for us, creating junk-mail issues with our clients. - We just do not use it. The Billing side is weird but improving. The payments to subcontractors has improved and can be done on a percentage basis but the billing to clients does not. We use an AIA billing form and use that with the Buildertrend system but the Change orders appear and add to the bill making it awkward and we have to tell clients not to ignore the amount owed on the bottom of the billing. The selections ap is a good idea and is believed in by some in our organization. It is awkward and confusing and I personally think it would work better if it was treated somewhat like a change order. I think if the change orders show up on Billing page so should selections. The To-do Ap is great except that it allows the task to be assigned to multiple people. In a way that is good but if more than one person is responsible than no one is. I think it should have a primary responsible person (this can bye done by assigning tasks but that is cumbersome and has other issues. -The To-do Ap is great and has a task check off sheet which is great except for one fatal flaw. The task check off sheet inside the to-do task is great except that the task can be marked complete by anyone though not all the sub tasks have been marked complete

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Mark - thank you for your review and feedback! I've passed your suggestions on to our Product team to review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this!
Cindy R.
Project Coordinator

“Comprehensive Platform”

OverallWhen I started at this company, they did not have any kind of project management in place. People would refer to documents within OneDrive to obtain details, and that was not always updated nor where details provided at the time needed. Everyone would always scramble at the last minute to find out order details and whatnot. There also was not any security with certain documentation. Now Buildertrend provides the ability to screen certain people from certain information. The ability to upload photos has helped to prevent issues from becoming bigger ones, as it's not always possible to get out to every jobsite, but getting a visual on progress is extremely helpful. Overall, everyone seems to be quite happy with the program. The level of customer support Buildertrend provides is outstanding. Their Live Chat option or contacting your coach for assistance is easy and typically has great results. They are always looking to ensure you are satisfied, and will go beyond to inquire or find out information if they are unable to assist with the issue.
ProsI like that Buildertrend brings together all aspects of residential construction - homeowners, sub-trades, vendors, internal users, and allows everyone to see the information they need to see, as well as provides them the ability to upload photos, documentation and even provide comments to certain areas within the program. This gives everyone an overall sense of what is happening within the project. Having everyone tied into the program eliminates a lot of extra searching for information, as well as lessen the overall messages one needs to send out to verify parts of the projects - selections, drawings and pricing can be Approved or Declined. This also helps to eliminate outdated/non-approved details from occurring.
ConsThe program has a lot to take in, which I suppose is expected, but for me, knowing how things affect something else is really important, as we are a Canadian company trying to work with an American program and American terminology. I have had to experiment a bit with how best to enter information, and sometimes redo it altogether. I do not like how often I have to press on users to be entering information and using the platform for communications, but that does not have anything to do with the program itself.

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Cindy - thank you for your review and honest feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to do this and we've passed your feedback along to our Product team.
Christopher H.
Architectural Drafter
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 employees
June 13, 2019

“Great versatility for GC and also useful for an architectural drafter”

OverallWe are able to keep track of more jobs easier with Buildertrend. Our production volume was at our limit before searching for online databases and project management software; with Buildertrend we have been able to make our business work significantly more smoothly, and we have information at our fingertips which in the past was like finding a needle in a haystack.
ProsBuildertrend is a wonderful way to keep track of what is going on. This includes scheduling; creating, recording and sending documentation; organizing projects neatly; and staying aware of finances. It also has a very helpful Leads section, which helps me keep track of prospects from the earliest stage of when I become aware of them. In a word, I would say I appreciate most the organization which Buildertrend offers.
ConsTo be succinct, the user interface (UI) is decent but could use some improvement. The Files section in particular could use some work. I would like it to be versatile and able to navigate easily. An example of improved versatility is being able to access information in a simpler and faster way, such as Windows Explorer offers in how I see and can analyze various folders and files. An example of easy navigation is being able to tile multiple view windows so I can compare file locations across multiple Jobs to keep similar file types in the same locations, and so I could ensure my folders all have identical names across multiple Jobs

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Christopher, thank you for taking the time to give us your honest feedback and review! I have passed your suggestions along to our Product team.
Jennifer K.
June 13, 2019

“Game changer for our daily operations”

OverallOverall we've had a very positive experience and don't foresee us switching anytime soon.
ProsHaving one place to manage all of our field operations has been a game changer. Especially the iunlimited document & photo storage -allowing us to grant access to all paperwork and details to the field team with just a few clicks. The flexibility of the scheduling platform and ability to connect tasks and create interdependent "living" schedules is great and the ability to have multiple levels of permissions for subs/clients & our team is very comprehensive as well and allows us to customize for the way we use the system. Their customer service is top notch and there is always someone available to chat about an issue and they are on top of any issues with updates and consistently adding valuable features to the platform based on very specific user feedback.
ConsI think they need more work on the Lead/sales managing side of the platform -we had been using ACT customer management system and would love to have the ability to also manage all client contacts and leads in Buildertrend but it is not nearly as comprehensive although they did just roll out a reports function that will help I think more option for customization would be helpful. Even if they were able to integrate with ACT or the like. I also wish they integrated with more accounting software as we use Sage and it is not supported. Admittedly it is not as common as quickbooks but the lack of integration creates more work for us on the accounting side of things.

By Buildertrend on June 27, 2019
Thank you for your kind words and review, Jennifer! We also appreciate your feedback on our integrations and our CRM - I will pass that feedback along to our Product team. Thanks again!
Bridget R.
Owner/ Office Manager
June 13, 2019

“Buildertrend changed how we do business. ”

OverallThis program is integral to our operations, and I am looking forward to eventually using all of the functions it is capable of. I am still learning!
ProsUsing Buildertrend replaced an entire full time position, at least. It allows the information from the Sales to Project Management to Accounting to be all in one spot and easy to use. The project records are complete from lead opportunity stage to completion- which is incredibly valuable. Setting up the software took time and effort, but it was mostly transitioning that took the most effort. But every time I am not sure what to do I just call the Customer Support and my problems are solved! It is an incredible service. We have spent the last year and a half streamlining our business to remain competitive in a changing market- and Buildertrend has allowed us to reach the next level of business.
ConsThere are some functions that could work better for us (ie: limited things you can do with a project while in lead opportunity status etc) but there are constant updates and changes being made to the system. I am confident that there will continually be developments to suit our needs better. Another challenge was getting all of our vendors on board to accept PO's from the program etc. Also- the fact that the emails come from buildertrend.com instead of my own email address is confusing for some of our clients and vendors. Some clients have so much difficulty with their Owner portal that we have to accept sign offs outside of the system- which I hope to change.

By Buildertrend on June 26, 2019
Thank you for your 5-star review and honest feedback, Bridget! We love to hear that you are utilizing our unlimited customer support - they're always there for you and your team. I've passed the issues you're having onto my team and I hope we can get those fixed for you soon!
Crystal C.

“Greystone - Crystal”

OverallWe began using Builder Trend a little over 2 years ago as a move away from Build Tools. I have been very happy with the response time on customer support, and it is nice to always be able to reach someone when you have a question. We as a company are not currently using some of the features including scheduling and none of our subs or homeowners are going into the system, but we are trying to change this. We are actively using documents, selections, budgets, etc.
ProsI like the ability to get notifications for a variety of transactions, the ability to log in & see things from a variety of devices, the tracking features for every transaction, and I love the amount of storage space for documents & photos that it has.
ConsI wish it was more affordable to purchase more jobs so that we could use the system for our remodel projects, currently, we do not enter them in as many of them are small projects and do not warrant the expense it would cost us to have that many jobs. It is unfortunate because it puts us with two different processes for selections, budgets, docs, etc. depending on what type of project it is. I wish it was also possible to mark a selection as "Ordered," much like you can mark it as "Approved" it would help the designer & client know when it is absolutely too late to make changes. Lastly, I wish the transition to QB was more efficient. If you are using a desktop version of QB, which is the only way to have the contractor version, when PO's are pushed to QB, they do not populate the customer's job to the items on that PO even though it is tied to that job. I am not even sure what the point of tying the jobs together is as it does not seem to connect them at all in the transfer process.
Charielle S.
Director of Business Development
Design, 11-50 employees
February 20, 2017

“Buildertrend is a Game Changer”

OverallOur team has been using Buildertrend for just over 2 years now and we would be lost without it. It's a no-brainer! The program has given our team a competitive advantage by providing our customers with their own project website, has improved the efficiency in our processes dramatically and has made project management on site incredibly easy. Even after 2 years, I'm still learning about new features that will help our team. The program's unmatched support team, detailed and highly-developed features and complete integration has helped us increase our volume, revenue and profits... It's completely changed the game for Owen Homes.
ProsThe included customer service team and support are unmatched. When you're running your business through this program, sometimes you need an immediate answer or need to learn a new feature on the fly and having instant access to those webinars and forums is invaluable. I also love how detailed and thought through each feature is - it's what made the switch from our old process so easy because they literally thought of everything! I could go on forever... the custom fields, different types of users and permissions, project templates, sync to Quickbooks... Buildertrend is doing it and doing it well.
ConsSome of the features like selections, financials, and the gantt chart portion of the calendar are definitely more challenging when trying to switch from our current process over to Buildertrend. However, I'm not sure if there is a better way for any of those; I know those will have a learning curve because those are the more difficult parts of the project. It's hard to come up with cons for the program because I feel a lot of my issues could be resolved by learning more about the feature. I guess I'll leave with a suggestion: maybe emailing or notifying users of the next month's available webinars or reminders to use the resources -- I forgot these existed for about a year, I was just watching the videos available. I would like to see more videos uploaded -- long and short on specific features.
Recommendations to other buyersDo it! Even if your process is completely developed or you're just starting out, Buildertrend makes the entire process easy and manageable, from the leads to the job site organization, to saving you time on almost every step of the project... it is absolutely worth it. But don't dive into the entire program at once, pick a few features first, master them and move on to the next few. Be sure to take advantage of everything the BT support team has to offer - they will make the transition so much easier, will hold your hand throughout the process and help you make sure the program works best for you and your company.
February 20, 2017
Danielle T.
3.5/5
March 26, 2013

OverallWe are a boutique custom home builder; each project is unique and personalized. Although I was not involved in the selection of this software, my understanding is that we wanted a program that could be accessed by all the parties involved, handle the scheduling and move us away from paper checklists - ultimately allowing all users to be both informed of changes and to be able to plan for future events without having to directly communicate with each person. As far as scheduling goes this system has failed. It has caused more time consuming questions. My complaint is that you can only link item to item by a (or a couple) predecessor(s) that, ultimately, the program struggles with which item is next in the list if a few of them share the same linked task. Also in a best case scenario, this scheduled list is how you build a house - but in most cases something, whether it be trade related or whether related or inspection related, cause a task to be delayed but the other ones would continue on schedule however the program has linked the start date to the the delayed task and now the whole calender is messed up. Or perhaps the exterior of the house generally starts after framing and roofing but maybe a winter storm makes this impossible so you continue the interior for weeks. Then you try and adjust backwards and because your best case scenario template stated it should commence at framing completion and you delayed that. Thus your left with a domino affect of wrong dates. and a series of emails sent to vendors informing them of the delay that really didn't apply to them. So they change schedules and you are left with no trades to do the interior work that in your mind could and should be fine. I also find that the program doesn't offer enough flexibility in the selection section. It allows me to upload a previously created document to be stored that a homeowner could then log on and download. They then fill out and can't re-upload this document, so they are forced to fax or scan and email back to us. This is neither time effective nor practical. Perhaps it would be better if we were able to create a checklist that was interactive in this section, similar to the change orders where we type out the change and the client could update decisions. In our company we don't limit our clients to three choices of floor plans and two cabinet doors and 4 granite selections, they are free to choose anything they can dream of. As a result we cannot load a document that would apply to all builds. However, I believe the change orders tab is well thought out, easy to use and provides all the options to make it a valuable asset. The warranty section does a great job of tracking and notifying and saving time and assuring that service and warranty items are handled and accepted. The daily log and messaging capabilities that allow us to keep a record of notes or messages in one area logged by date and job site is extremely valuable and a good system. Furthermore, the software as a whole is easy to learn, has a logical and simple layout so even those who are not computer savvy can fumble through without creating errors and won't be too intimidated by the complexity of the software to attempt to use it. Finally, the technical support and training provided is always quick to help resolve an issue or aid in a question. New training is scheduled in a very quick time frame for free and is tailored to the person that requires it. This is handled exceptionally well in a time when often companies forget you exist once the purchase is complete. So, we have decided that we will use BuilderTrend for those things that they excel at and don't use it as a scheduling tool.
Simon W.

“Versatile Platform”

OverallWe've used Buildertrend for over 5 years in custom home, commercial, institutional, and development projects. We've grown with them and they with us. It's nice to be able to provide feedback that gets considered and often implemented.
ProsGreat interface for clients. Good support from Buildertrend. Well integrated cloud-based system. Continual improvement based on feedback from users.
ConsScheduling has a lot of built-in functionality which slows the system. Company has grown and the customer care is beginning to slip but they have worked out most of the little hang-ups. They are based in the US and we operate out of Canada, the tax laws are different which we've had to create workarounds for in purchasing.

By Buildertrend on June 26, 2019
Simon - thank you for your review and honest feedback! We truly appreciate your team's continued use of our software. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything from our Customer Success team!
Kathy Z.

“BuilderTREND Review”

OverallWe are very impressed with Buildertrend. They are always coming up with new ideas. They are very progressive and very responsive to any programming changes. We have tried similar products in the past but nothing compares to Buildertrend. We would highly recommend this software. It is an important tool in the daily operation of our company.
ProsI like that it is one platform for our staff, our clients and our subtrades. I like the ease of the change order approval and decline, and the change orders are interactive with the appropriate vendors and subtrades. The schedules are so helpful to keep everyone apprised of the sequence of events. We use the daily logs to record our field visits and items that need to be actioned from those meetings. The To-Do tab keeps everyone on task and on time. We also enjoy the lead opportunity to make sure we are following up with all our potential clients.
ConsThe inability to hide non pertinent information from the client view. We like to keep things as simple as possible for clients, so they are not confused. We would like the ability to hide columns that the client is not required to action. e.g. selection, change orders.

By Buildertrend on June 21, 2019
Kathy, thank you so much for your kind words and your 5-star review! We truly appreciate it. I've also passed your feedback along to our Product team! Thanks again.
Kris G.
Production Manager
June 13, 2019

“Buildertrend is simple to use”

ProsBuildertrend is super simple for even the lowest tech person. It keeps all our data in one place that all employees can see. Communication is so much better with this product!
ConsOnly one complaint - There's no way for the users to record their lunch break so that we can conform to CA regulations, also there's not a way that I know of for the employee to electronically submit their timesheet info with a signature

By Buildertrend on June 26, 2019
We appreciate your review and feedback, Kris! I have passed your suggestions about the lunch break and electronic signatures for timesheet info on to our Product team.
Rick W.
December 8, 2012

OverallWillet Construction, Remodeling Specialist has been in business for 17 years. Our goal is to give Top Quality Service including Top Quality Craftsmanship. We are a Residential Remodeling Company that will do almost any type of project. We strive to create an enjoyable remodeling experience for our clients, so they will use us again and again. During the growth of our company, it became apparent we needed a production management system to communicate with our customers and within the company. I became aware of BuilderTrend while being a member of Remodelers Advantage. We had been using our own spreadsheets and calendars for customers project. Our Change Order process was slow and hard to keep up to date. I took a look at 3 different programs, and decided that Builder Trend met the needs we were looking for. We have been using Builder Trend for exactly 1 year now. We are extremely pleased with how it has improved so many areas of our company. Our customers love the communication system and seem to be able to use it with much ease. The Change Order & Selections process is so wonderful to keep us and the customer up to date. Using the calendar for the job schedule is so easy and the customers appreciate knowing what will be happening on a day to day basis. We put our payment schedule on the customer calendar so they know when all payments are due. Customers are sending checks exactly on time, sometimes even before we send out an invoice. Cash flow has never been better for our Company due to the customer knowing exactly when to send payments. Builder Trend has been extremely easy to learn. Technical Support has been extremely quick in responding to our needs. They are very knowledgeable about their product, and usually have answers for our requests immediately. Any time we need training on something, they are quick to set a date and time to cover any information we need. With the help of Builder Trend, we have grown our volume of completed jobs this year without adding more employees. This has resulted in Willet Const. having it's largest and most profitable year of our 17 year existence. And we hardly ever have any Accounts Receivables that are more than 15 days old. With the Selections being "Approved" by the customer on line, all the people that have viewing rights know exactly the product being used on each job. This way when our salesperson/designer are on vacation, anybody else in our office can answer questions from subs or customers about a product without having to bother the designer while they are on vacation. That way the job keeps moving smoothly, and our employees can enjoy their vacation without any worry about work going well while they are gone. This is especially nice for myself as the owner to go on vacation and leave work completely behind. I also like that Builder Trend keeps improving their program. The "Leads" tab is great to know how much potential work we are estimating. And it helps organize our meeting schedule with our potential customer throughout the designing and estimating process.
December 8, 2012
Kim J.
July 11, 2018

“Excellent”

OverallI really can't enough about the customer service. They always answer the question I ask. My Customer Success Manager, , is so unbelievable. If every rep I had in my construction was like him, I would have no problems. But, all the other people who answer the phone are great, too. I attended a BTUniversity event, and the event planner, Danielle, for that was amazing, as well. EVERYONE I have ever dealt with (after sales) at BT has the best attitude. They are helpful and lovely and all things good. For those of you who do not know, they have bootstrapped the funding for this company. As a lot of us in construction have done, I find it extremely respectful. The guys who are in charge have done a great job and are very humble coupled with excitement for their business.
ProsThis online management system is so great in every way. It is so intuitive to the construction community. I love the ease of scheduling, the ease of selections, having everything in one place for our team, the level of permissions per team member, and the customer support is off the charts - I don't think there's a rating high enough for them. I used a competitor of BT for years, and it's like driving a Tesla compared to a ModelT.
ConsWhat I like least is that I didn't find it sooner and the sales experience...barf. I get why they sell the way they do, but it's icky. Eventually, I forgot about how gross it was because the customer service is unimaginably great! Don't not sign-up because your sales person lacks authenticity and makes your skin crawl. The experience after is totally worth it.

By Buildertrend on July 20, 2018
Kim, thank you so much for your great feedback! It was wonderful to meet you at Buildertrend University and we¿re so happy you got so much out of our event. We¿d love to have you back here in Omaha anytime!
July 11, 2018
Wasay M.
Solar Design Engineer
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 employees
August 6, 2019

“A Perfect Business Tool.”

OverallBuildertrend is an integral part of our company, it helps in our company operations from the lead stage to sales and from there onwards to installation & collection stages with a track record of every single day.
Pros- We can upload all project-related documents, photos & videos under the customer folder. - We can update daily logs, which helps the team members to be on one page. - To-Dos helps us a lot in completing our task by time. - The schedule section helps a lot to keep a track record of projects. - We can send messages to our customers, and other team members can also view it using the global tab. - Under the financial tab, it gives us various categories which help a lot to our finance team.
Cons- It takes time while loading. - Daily logs can be edited by any team member without edit history.

By Buildertrend on September 11, 2019
Wasay, thank you so much for taking the time to give us your review! Makes us so happy to hear that our platform is an integral part of YellowLite.
August 6, 2019
Joe D.
June 30, 2019

“Buildertrend”

OverallScheduling, PO tracking and back costing of our jobs have become far easier to manage and far less time-consuming. We are generally never late with materials due to the calendar and use of reminders, enabling jobs to run smoothly and efficiently with zero downtime. The updates are definitely improving the experience with BT
ProsSimple display options and excellent user interface The system flows as per the workflow on site and the calendar works excellent in managing multiple jobs All information in one place is excellent, and all available to supply chain and clients at the click of a button. Our international clients love this software.
ConsWould be good to have a clear guide as to how to use the POs, payments & COs and how they interact. Doesn't transfer data correctly to Xero - double data entry Does not do payroll, this would be a fantastic addition (understandable that it is complicated) More flexibility required for estimates in BT. Lacks the functionality of Excel so forces us to use another system for this. Clearer explanation of selection budgets and how they can be incorporated into the estimate would be beneficial. Not been able to use the email link successfully to date. Further guidance on how to link Xero tracking and BT cost codes would have been a huge help during setup. It is still a challenge to get our supply chain to use the system with us. Can be complicated to use based on the number of settings available to users and
June 30, 2019
Lindsey R.
Interior Designer
June 13, 2019

“Overall Pleased - Looking for more shortcuts”

OverallOverall, I have found the system very helpful!
ProsI feel the software is well developed. While I have not used every part I have a pretty good overview of the software and feel that the creators did a good job creating a system that is thorough for our industry.
ConsWhat I would like to see improved is an ease to using the selections. I spend a lot of time copying and deleting things that could easily be moved around easier with some simple additions to a toolbar like copy, move to another selection / project / category... I would also like a save and close button on the selections. Each time I save a selection my screen jumps around 3 times and then I can click on the X to close the window. I realize this is a small item but it would allow me to move around my projects much faster. I would also like to see a way to block cost codes that have not been selected on the Allowances so my team is not selecting incorrect codes when inputting selections. In regards to Allowances it would be nice to have a total for a category that can be broken down into each item. For example, having an allowance for appliances that I'm able to put a total of $5000 as the overall allowance but not breaking each item out while still having my cost codes listed in the Allowance so the totals are captured as selections are entered. This again would be a time saver as I need to watch my numbers but often not to the level of each cost code.
Barbara L.
March 26, 2013

OverallWe were looking for a construction management tool that could include communication and job visibility throughout all departements and in the field - supervisors, procurement, management, financial, client & volunteer services, and that would allow updating and access in the field. BuilderTrend had it all. We are a medium size, not-for-profit, affodable home building & repair, educating, and financing firm. Multiple Excel spreadsheets couldn't be kept up to date, and traditional MS Project Management software was too cumbersome with less features. A really nice aspect of BuilderTrend is that the whole history of the build process is kept in one place rather than in multiple files on in-house servers and personal computers. We are blessed with many volunteers from out of state and by creating a "Volunteer" job, the schedulers and supervisors can see how many and who is coming in advance so we can stage the work and communicate to them exactly what they will be working on weeks in advance. Our client services department can see the build schedule for a client and keep the client informed of progress. We may not be using the program like a traditional commercial builder with clients would, but we have found all the features including selections and warranty to serve our needs very well. We have on average 25 repair jobs in process and 20 jobs in the planning stage at one time. We have completed over 180 repair jobs in the 11months using the system, and I could not imagine trying to manage this much work without it. Out of the box, BuilderTrend is fairly intuitive to use, but there are nuances that should be learned to increase the user benefit. Training is always available and we discover more ways to use its functionality to streamline processes and communications. Our scheduling and planning meetings have gone from 1.5 hours weekly to 20 minutes. We schedule meetings with subs with the task function and quickly get a confirmation. This saves multiple phone calls of us and the subs. I can quickly answer questions for management and business partners simply by looking at daily logs, internal notes, schedules and pictures. The job list allows us to forecast and track our goals and find solutions when jobs are held up for any reason. I have freed myself from continuous updating of Excel spreadsheets to being able to pull a job list and calendar list whenever I need to know status. Using the baseline features ensures I don't have to save a bunch of old reports for comparison to track project variances. BuilderTrend is very open to our suggestions on reporting and manipulating report and export functions, and I would like to see more capability in exporting reports. I like their focus on continuous improvement, adding functionality and meeting the customers' requirements. Online topical is available but limited to the basics and I have always found the staff to be just a phone call away for answering specific questions. Overall a win for us.
Greg M.
June 18, 2019

“Great Organizational tool !”

OverallI love being able to track all purchases and labor against the original proposal. It allows you to learn where you are making money, and where you are losing, so you can adjust from one project to the next. In this way, you can fine tune pricing to be as competitive as possible in the marketplace.
ProsI like the level of customization available in the software, it allows me to detail my proposals, and make them look the way I want, so they stand out from the competition. Also love the financials feature, and the schedule, so the client always knows what the project balance is, and what is happening next.
ConsTo fully utilize the software, there is a lot of data to be entered and updated regularly on a large project, which can take a fair bit of time.
Brian D.
Solar Consultant
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 employees
June 13, 2019

“Revolutionized my sales follow up”

OverallI used other CRMs in the past, but love using BuilderTrend. Its simple setup has allowed me to keep track of my customers as well as provide better follow up to my clients. I just utilize the Sales section of BuilderTrend, but it has improved my client relationships and increased my overall sales.
ProsBuildertrend is great--I love using the Activity Calendar and Lead Report to keep track of my follow up with my customers. I can use activity notes to remember what I discussed with customers when we last spoke, and this helps me engage in better dialogue when I follow up with customers. Our installation team loves using the project management feature to keep track of our installs and provide an easy transition from sales to installation.
ConsThe user interface is kind of clunky, especially on the app. Sometimes it is difficult to find stuff and the filters can get annoying.

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Brian, thank you for your review and honest feedback! We love hearing how Buildertrend has helped your company.
Emma L.
Vice President of Sales

“Excellent Product”

OverallBuildtrend has been a fantastic choice for us. We have taken our business from all paper-based, to 95% paper-free because of this change. We are also getting a significant improvement in the use of our field supervisors' time because they are actually out in the field instead of sitting at a computer.
ProsBuildertrend has been exactly the product we needed to allow our field supervisors to actually be in the field instead of in the office. Our supers are able to easily schedule their crews on the go and also keep all of their job notes in the Daily Logs. This keeps everyone on the same page and allows those of us in the office to see real-time what's happening in the field. We also use the system to track upcoming houses, safety meetings, and warranty issues. It is very user friendly.
ConsI only have very minor complaints: I wish we could merge multiple lead opportunities together. Also, pulling reports from the schedule is ok, but we have to drop everything into Excel and create our own reports to pay our subcontractors.

By Buildertrend on July 2, 2019
Thank you so much for your review and feedback, Emma! I've passed your suggestions along to our Product team. And we love hearing how we can save your company paper, and time!
Matthew A.
Business Cordinator
June 20, 2019

“Excellent Option for Construction Project Management”

OverallWe started using Builder Trend in July of 17 to help stream line the many projects that we have. Builder Trend has been outstanding in growing with our company. There was a moment in time when several major components where simply not working well and we were considering moving to another System. Builder Trend's staff and development department have resolved all those issues and created a much better product that we will continue to use for years to come.
ProsBy far, the best thing about Builder Trend is its people. I have interacted with a lot of the staff and they excel in getting issues resolved. This Online Software has everything that you need to manage a large variety of construction projects, Vendor/Contractors, and Customers They continually update their program and it keeps getting better and better They take great care in listening to their clients when making improvements You can easily access the system using Desktop, Tablet or phone
ConsThey are working to address these issues, but one of the main issues is that it tends to not be as user friendly as other software, there are many times that they use 4-5 steps to accomplish tasks, when 1-2 would be better. There are several bugs anytime that you use something that is internet based. Some of these issues have been addressed, others (like window scrolling) Still need to be corrected.
Wayne K.
June 18, 2019

“Buildertrend Our way to scale-ability”

OverallWorking with Buildertrend has been fantastic, taking our company to a whole new level of professionalism and efficiency. Ryan, our BT Coach is always approachable and contactable for any issues or questions we may have. I would highly recommend to any company to implement Buildertrend to take their company to a whole new level.
ProsThe interface is user Friendly and the tutorials easy to follow for all levels of our team. The cloud based system with live updates has allowed for all team members to access live data, Photos and videos no matter were they might be working. Our clients have an interface and capability to be a part of the construction process and see live updates of what is happening on their new home. Buildertrend has allowed us to implement systems and checklist all in one place available to everyone., We are now in the process of scaling our Company to build in outer regions. All easily controllable from the head office.
Cons- Some of the windows and drop down categories don't have the flexibility to change what text is fixed by Buildertrend internally. - Not having tax inclusive and exclusive in the owner invoices and the Purchase orders (Australia 10%GST) - Using the selections window we have had to set up a work around to show the client a cost difference between the base item and the item they select. This results in not being able to use the selection as part of the estimate and the item selected has to be carried in from elsewhere.
Christy M.
Interior Designer

“Great Communication Tool”

OverallThe greatest solution that BT provides is communication. It is so crucial that details are spelled out to our subs - especially if they are new to our team. It's just as crucial that our clients feel that their selections are clear and the options to provide links, images, upload files/documents - is fantastic. I also love the comment section for quick clarification if they choose to "decline" a selection.
ProsAs a designer, I appreciate the ability to communicate job details to clients, construction team members, vendors, and subcontractors. Making sure that everyone is on the same page and understands the design goal is crucial in meeting the expectations of our clients. As we use more of the features that BuilderTrend provides, the customer service representative has been knowledge and prompt in their responses.
ConsThere is a balance between making sure the software is intuitive as we move through the design/build project and making it easy for a first-time client to utilize. It would just add to the experience if potential and existing clients were able to visualize the products in the actual floor plan giving them a virtual experience. This would help up-sell the client, eliminate misunderstandings about what the materials will actually look like installed, and enhance the overall experience of our clients.
Paul L.
June 24, 2019

“Processes ”

OverallWith the implementation of BuilderTrend, we have been able to perform as a company in such an efficient way that I often feel as though I am forgetting something. I think what I mean by that statement is that BuilderTrend has us to organized that my day to day tasks from leads, selections on current jobs, schedules, bids/estimates, and much much more is so streamline, I often feel a void internally like I am missing something. That "thing" that I am missing is stress and confusion. This is and exceptional tool for us.
ProsThe best part about BuilderTrend is that we were able to apply our own processes we have established throughout the 38 years we have been open on a cloud based platform.
ConsBuilderTrend is a very powerful tool. There is nothing about the software I particularly dislike, but I will say that it takes a lot of time to implement and understand the software. There are several areas that need improving/changing, however, the people at BuilderTrend are so quick to adjust. It is amazing
June 24, 2019
Jillian S.
Marketing Coordinator

“BuilderTrend Review”

OverallOverall, BuilderTrend has worked well for us being a design/build firm. It allows all of our employees to communicate with each other as well as our clients.
ProsBuilderTrend makes it very easy for us to communicate with our customers and have them be able to see "daily logs" of what is being done on their project. It is also easy for our sub-vendors, clients, and employees to see the schedule/calendar on projects and it's convenient for our homeowners to see who is in and out of their house for that day. From a marketing standpoint, it is easy to track our leads and pull data to analyze.
ConsI hope in the future their is more ability for BuilderTrend to integrate with other platforms. For example, when somebody fills out an entry form on our website to request a consult, it would be nice if we could integrate BuilderTrend to be able to retrieve that information so we don't have to manually enter it.

By Buildertrend on July 29, 2019
Jillian, thank you for taking the time to give us your review and feedback! We appreciate it. I've passed your feedback along to our Product team.
Cindy M.
Customer Service Manager
Retail, 11-50 employees
June 13, 2019

“Sales and Project Management”

OverallOverall very satisfied we went out to Nebraska for training and met some really great people and the overall aura of the company is spectacular. Customer service has been great with answering questions which I feel is very important.
ProsI like this software because it has a crm built right into the project management. We are a full design build company for Kitchens and Bathrooms as well as a full service stone countertop department. The software is well received by our full remodel customers and has improved communication tremendously. It also helps with new leads being able to follow up and using templates for emails so there is constant communication. We still have to get the calendar for jobs on board but we are working section by section right now.
ConsThere are still some quirks that need to be ironed out. There is no ability to tag more than one user on the activity calendar. Some of pages you print out should have the customers email and phone number on them. Emailing from the lead side is a bit quirky no be able to respond back on the same email it does because tedious to go back into the lead and have to generate a whole new email. I am confident that the above can be corrected over time.

By Buildertrend on June 27, 2019
Cindy, thank you so much for your review and feedback! I've passed your suggestions along to our Product team. Thanks again!
Adam E.
January 5, 2018

“Great app for custom home builder ”

ProsThe ability for the owner to see the home under construction. Daily logs, photos, schedule, once their loaded, you can oversee many more jobs. Our office can upload change orders and tag a Superintendent, a Superintendent can take a request on site, price, and an owner can execute a change order on site, a freebie confirming a verbal request or a extra. The office can order advance items by watching progress, speeding up build times. We upload all plans, shop drawings, permitting info, making the Superintendent much less reliant on sales/design/office explanations. Easy for owners to communicate questions, requests, and payments. We bought it for the owner interface and scheduling interface, and found it useful for so much more, Lead management, warranty, and mobility.
ConsFor it to be functional the entire team needs to utilize it. We had a few that didn't buy in, some were relying on it but not others, and that can be a headache. The schedule is harder than I would like for Superintendent to make changes. Large changes, should be done from the office on a desktop.

By Buildertrend on April 6, 2018
Adam - We really appreciate the positive feedback. I will have your Buildertrend Coach reach out to you to talk about any additional training and the scheduling feature!
January 5, 2018
Shannon M.
Partner
Design, Unspecified
September 8, 2016

“Builder Trend works for us, but still has some glitches”

ProsBuilderTrend had (in theory) everything I needed to make life as a general contractor easy. Everything is all under one software program and seems to interact well with the CRS, accounting and tasks. We have only used it for a month so we're still figuring out all it can do. Having our own account manager has also been essential. I call him or his team when I need help or assurance that I am using the program correctly. It is helpful to have a live person. It is also helpful that he will send me vids with instructions on how to do things and I keep them flagged so I can refer to them whenever I need. I'm relatively tech savvy, but the software is easy to use. Having done things manually for so long it has been an adjustment to automation. For example, I am used to downloading documents into different files. BT will file documents and attach them to the job automatically. When I get quotes from subs, they integrated into the budget (once accepted) and I don't have to download and file it independently, then upload the bid to my accounting. Very helpful.
ConsThe SAVE function is the weakest part of the program. When saving information on, say a subcontractor contact page, you will be bumped back to the primary page instead of staying on the current location. It's very frustrating. Especially since it will not automatically save during any function so if for some reason you leave the page or tab elsewhere, all your work is lost. Being a cloud-based program, I would hope a future update includes the auto-save feature so the save button is duplicative instead of mandatory.
Recommendations to other buyersWe chose BT because it had all the key features we were looking for - key notifications (COIs and License expiration) and accounting integration to name a couple. Yet it still had flexibility to add custom fields and use our branded logo. It's cloud-based so we can access the same information in real-time in the office or in the field which may be important to some. Giving our clients access and transparency has help in communication and the emails are tagged with the job automatically so if you are heavy into email, you may find this easier to track correspondences. My suggestion to others is evaluate your need prior to committing to a program. Where is your current "pain" and what frustrates you the most about how you work now. Create a list of your top 5-10 then find the best program that fits your top priorities most and alleviates most of your issues.
September 8, 2016
Charles C.
June 27, 2019

“After 2 years with BuilderTrend”

OverallBetter integration, management, and control of our business. Glad that we made the jump to invest in BuilderTrend, and plan to continue using their platform.
ProsIt ties together all the functions we needed for our Design-Build Remodeling Company. It organizes and backs up important communication. It links to Quick Books for accounting. It provides an owner portal to help clients stay informed. Good help videos. Good marketing tools and tracking. New reports feature was needed.
ConsOverall, the package offers everything we need and integrates well. The user interface is moderately easy to use, buy requires a lot of extra mouse clicks at times. For us, the most important aspect has been the customer service. This was excellent when we first signed on and needed the most help to understand the software and get it set up for our business. However, even though we need less help now that we have experience with the software, the quality of the customer service (i.e. technical assistance) has declined. We can rarely get our account rep on the first call. Sometimes callbacks take more than an hour... sometimes someone else will pick right up. The level of customer service isn't bad... it just isn't as good as it was.
June 27, 2019
Melissa B.

“Great Product”

ProsOur clients love the software. Utilizing BT sets us apart from competitors. Customers appreciate having the ability to manage their project and see the progression in real time. I like that there are constant updates and improvements. The developers are constantly taking suggestions. The Mobile app for our Subs has been amazing. Documents can be scanned directly from the phone or tablet. It makes communicating and managing multiple projects much more efficient.
Consthe UI is not as sleek and User-friendly as I would prefer but It has certainly come a long way with the consistent updates and improvements
PHILIP C.
Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees
June 20, 2019

“Buildertrend for a specialist civil engineering subcontractor”

OverallOverall experience has proved excellent and a great step up in our record keeping and communications from site. The system has also helped build better team spirit where everyone is accountable and also gets greater recognition for their daily input / roles / responsibilities.
Pros- Set price per job per month with unlimited user access - Ease of use for our individual operators to complete Daily diary logs and Daily To Do's (e.g. Plant Check-lists) with photo attachments - Ease of uploading shared documents and photos - From implementation of this system on our first job, the extend of Records and photographic evidence we have gained is invaluable compared to having to rely solely on our site supervisors trying to keep Daily Diaries. All our operatives and site team feed in their information from their own perspective - which is fantastic and has been a vital evidence trail when we have submitted claims fro delays which have been initially discounted by our Main Contractor on site . - The Comments section has also proved to be a great means of communications and keeping everyone in the team in the loop on any matter raised in either the Daily Logs or the H&S, Environmental Inspection Checks etc
Cons- Copying To Do's to each of our team manually for every day can be laborious and there must be a means of copying the same command to a range of dates?
Brian M.
Purchasing and Estimating Manager

“Performs Well”

OverallWe use the system for all of our home sales pricing, scheduling, and options tracking.
ProsThe product performs well for numerous functions. While it excels in most modules, there are some that could use some work. The dev team is constantly working to improve the system.
ConsSome of the functionality is geared towards a specific business process flow. It would be better if it was more of a general use system, or could be customized more. While the dev team is constantly improving areas, sometimes the areas for improvement seem to be cosmetic. Sometimes the improvements break other areas that are essential to function.

By Buildertrend on June 26, 2019
Brian - thank you for your honest review! I will pass your feedback along to the team.
Steve W.
September 1, 2011

OverallI started my own renovation company over five years ago after working 15 years for various custom builders. But because of the cost of construction software, it just wasn't in the budget. Over the past five years, I developed Excel spreadsheets and Word documents that helped keep me organized and efficient (or at least I thought so). One day I had a random phone call from one of the Builder Trend representatives (Clint) and I checked out the web site. After the free demo, I was convinced. It never occurred to me the amount of double entering, emailing and communication that I was doing (or not doing). It was easy to understand, manipulate and use. I have used various types of software throughout my career so I was very familiar with how software could benefit a company. However, product out there was very expensive to purchase. What I liked about Builder Trend's pricing structure is that I set the price based on the amount of jobs that I believe I will do in that year. No different than my business plan forecast. And if I exceed that (which we all hope we do), I just contact Builder Trend and they increase the amount of jobs available to me. This also increases the monthly payment but if I achieve my sales, then the minimal additional cost is irrelevant. It pays for itself. With respect to the software itself, the product I used in the past was labor intensive to start up, implement and train. After 1 session, I was easily changing schedules, adding jobs and communicating with trades and clients. Scott was very informative and educated. He quickly and honestly answered all of my questions. In addition, prior to our implementation meeting, I sent in my schedule and trade templates and it was all in the system "ready to go" for me to fine tune. No starting from scratch and "learn as I go". While he taught me Builder Trend, we altered and changed my information to best teach me the ease of Builder Trend. Finally by having a customized page for my clients to communicate with us, shows that we are a legit company and professional. That says a lot in the renovation market. My clients love this as they can view their project at any time. We love it because we can get change orders approved quickly and sometimes even right on site without having to go back to the office and prepare a word document. We make the necessary adjustments through our iPhone and send it for approval. They can be standing right beside us, go into their secure page and approve it right there. I would strongly recommend other renovation/building contractors to lose their old ways of keeping their companies organized and use Builder Trend. It will do nothing but save them time, money and increase customer satisfaction.
September 1, 2011
Brianna G.
Production Manager

“Review”

OverallOverall Buildertrend helps us to manage information that we are gathering for the projects that we manage. We use the sales, project management and financial aspects of the app. It is very helpful and has made us more efficient and productive.
ProsThe ability to integrate with multiple software and programs, makes it easily implemented into our current business structure. The purchase orders, change orders, and budgeting tools are very helpful and well designed.
ConsGlitchy. Site sometimes does not have full functionality when they are working on updates, and customer service response time can be very slow. I dealt with the Purchase Order function not working for 8 days. I reached out to them every day asking them for an ETA of a fix, or an update of what was going on. Took a long time for them to get back to me, and not a quick resolution which negatively impacted my efficiency for that 8 days. This is one example, but we have had a few instances like this.

By Buildertrend on June 27, 2019
Brianna - thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review. I'm so sorry to hear about the experience you had in the past with trouble in our Purchase Order function. I've passed this feedback along to our Customer Success and Product teams to ensure this doesn't happen again!
Boone D.
Administrative Assistant
June 13, 2019

“Easy Onboarding with this polished project management system.”

OverallBuildertrend has really done there best to make our implementation go smoothly. We have ran into some bugs in the system, but they have always corrected the issues eventually. I definitely recommend this software to any small to medium sized construction company looking to tie their different departments together using one integrated system.
ProsBuildertrend has extensive customization options through the use of custom fields, filters, and views. The system is straight forward to navigate, and never leaves you wondering exactly where you're at in the program.
ConsThe accounting functions are rather simplistic, and lacking some necessary features to make things work well. Also, the print-outs are not very consistent and sometimes lack pertinent project information such as the job name.

By Buildertrend on June 21, 2019
Thank you for your review, Boone! We really appreciate it. We value your feedback and have passed it along to our Product team.
Jen B.
October 31, 2012

OverallCrimson Design & Construction is a full-service design/build remodeling firm. Like any firm that employs field employees and subcontractors there's bound to be something that gets lost in translation. Communication at times between the field and office employees suffers though we work hard to keep that to a minimum. Though we are still implementing our BuilderTrend software, I (office manager) have found that it helps to act as a liaison between all the important parties - management, design, field, subcontractors AND homeowners. It's a win-win-win-win! Our homeowners have been slow to engage in BuilderTrend, which is unfortunate, and we as a firm need to work to improve this usage (For one, I send messages to clients only through BT instead of email hoping to engage them in the software). It is currently a work in progress. Our subs, however, have responded with far more encouragement then I would have expected. I assumed most would find it to be a "pain" or a "waste of time" however several have informed me of the benefits they have found using this software - mainly being the schedule which they can view for approximate dates on upcoming work. And finally, our project manager now has an IPad on site and is able to essentially view a company folder through the use of BuilderTrend. Adjustments with this are still being made (how often to update, etc.) but we are finding this to be a smooth transition. For me in the office, I love being able to view the schedule at a moments notice. If a sub is not active on BT and calls me I can quickly access any job and let them know their approximate start date. I like having all my homeowner's info, permit info and docs in one easily accessible place. The things our firm is having difficulty with is: 1. The leads. While this is great progress, it's not where we need it to be in terms of reporting so we do still find ourselves doing a little double entry. 2. Selections. We used to enter our selections in the system but because selections are picked before we have a contract with a homeowner we don't generally have owners signed up on BT at that point. Plus we have a tracking form in Excel that we haven't been able to use in BT so we found ourselves doing double entry there as well. I would love for us to be using the Selections tab again if you can implement a tracking form that we can use. I can provide you with an example. All in all our experience with BuilderTrend has been exceptional. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the software is user-friendly, and it's only helped improve our company's communication. We look forward to seeing more from BuilderTrend in 2013!
October 31, 2012
Philip W.
Program Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
June 13, 2019

“Great value and improved performance”

OverallWe replaced multiple systems with Buildertrend which has allowed us to grow significantly as an organization. Although we have had to adapt some of the features to our purposes, overall Buildertrend has been an easy transition and has improved our efficiency over all. The team has been great to work with and have suggested many improvements to help us get the most out of the system. We regularly recommend it to other Habitat for Humanity organizations who are looking for one system that integrates family recruitment, construction management and job costing/financial management.
ProsMultiple features that have replaced many separate pieces of software Web based so can be used anywhere Pricing plans are great for our growth amount
ConsNot as customizable as we preferred but was worth it for the price Lacks safety management integration

By Buildertrend on July 29, 2019
Philip - thank you so much for your review and kind words! We love the work Habitat for Humanity is doing and we're happy to play a part in what you do for the MidOhio area.
Tony B.
Executive recruiter
February 24, 2017

“Great product for the small-midsize builder!”

OverallThe construction company I'm involved with uses the sub-contractor management piece a lot! It allows us to easily communicate with our sub-contractors and put projects out to bid easily and collect and compare bids seamlessly. We are trying to dive deeper into the customer communication piece, especially for change orders, it will save us/ make us more money. I Love the selections aspect. It takes a lot of upfront work and staying on top of selections. Once we got it all figured out it has been great. Lastly, we rely on the calendar aspect and how it works/ties into the other sections we use the software.
ProsOverall ease of use and completeness of solution, pricing model, mobile application. I also liked the ability to include subcontractors and homeowners in the project communications - where desired - this can be controlled. Training materials are excellent (videos, live training), the Buildertrend support staff were knowledgeable of the building industry, the home building process and very helpful.
ConsThe estimating component changed and it is more difficult for us to build out budgets than it used to be. Maybe we are making it harder on ourselves but the changes were not well received from the estimating side of the house.
Paige W.
Estimating & Office Manger
November 17, 2016

“BuilderTrend - would be 100% with some minor tweaks ”

OverallWe run a busy Design/Build construction team and Buildertrend has been a huge help organising and streamlining our day to day activities. It's great for clients to be able to log in to the app or the website from home to see progress and communicate with us and our trades on all levels of the project. Their support staff are amazingly helpful, providing phone support anytime I need it (even for the silly things I've asked them a hundred times). They're always willing to hear you out. In some cases they've whipped up short tutorial videos and emailed to me as future reference material to save me the trouble of calling in.
Pros-Client's love being able to see what's happening -Easy to navigate the website layout -Having everything related to the project (documents, construction drawings, communication, selections, pictures, schedules, to-do lists, invoices, etc.) in one place and available from anywhere via the mobile app -Support staff is awesome
Cons-Mobile app for both iphone & andriod require frequent updates as they continue to improve features -Not as easy to navigate the app's menu layout (things aren't in a similar order to the website) -From time to time external email notifications from the message feature will take an extra 2-3 days to arrive in the external email inboxs creating a bit of confusion. -Missing some small features like a filter on the "pay" option instead of having to either pay all at once or pay each individually (but this is a "serve the masses" issue, customers are always welcome to make suggestions to their resource team and hope enough other customers are asking for the same tweaks)
Recommendations to other buyersWe had previously used Co-Construct which I offer also has wonderful support staff, and great platform however at the time they didn't have an integrated budget feature. Since our company's switch, they have added the feature but because the whole team (crew members, sub trades, admin, accounting, design and estimating) is so comfortable working in Buildertrend we aren't ready to afford another switch.
November 17, 2016
Daniel B.
Director of Property Acquisition
Construction, Unspecified
January 6, 2016

“Good Intuitive Web-based Tool ”

ProsI like the that it is a web-based application with easy access. I have not used the the cellphone application, so I can not speak about that undoubtedly handy feature, although I have used it on my tablet from various job sites utilizing a "hot-spot." The Log is especially good with respect to keeping track of job site status and incidents. The ability to attached photos and documents is very helpful. Perhaps the most time saving feature for me has been the Bid and Budget functions. The ability to simultaneously send out bids to a group of contractors, see their acknowledgement, and receive the bids placed automatically and notify them of results all within the project is huge. Another feature that has been especially good for me is the ability to create custom fields in Leads and Jobs. This feature allows me to provide specific reports with tailored information in an Excel spreadsheet. As an organization we have not fully implemented the features and functionality available with the product, however, once we do, there will be greater benefits specifically related to accountability, efficiency, and quality.
ConsIt would be helpful to have the ability to create email distribution lists or groups, similar to Outlook on a project-by-project basis. I believe it would be utilized mostly in the Message function, but also could be useful in the Log Notification piece as well. The Leads function does not really apply to our type of business, but at this time I have modified its use to utilize it in a limited, but functional way.
Recommendations to other buyersPerhaps the most helpful to me is learning the software is to just try the different features and experiment with how they can work best for your specific needs. As I mentioned before, the product is intuitive in most areas. The learning tools attached to the program have also been good sources of information.
January 6, 2016
Justine J.

“Building with BuilderTrend”

OverallIf we ever run into problems with BT, tech support is just a phone call away. They are always very prompt in getting our issues resolved.
ProsUsing BT has everyone on the same page - customers, subs, crews - as far as the schedule, if materials have been ordered/delivered, and which change orders have been approved. Subs are notified as soon as a selection is made so they can get it ordered or planned. Customers can see where they stand financially at any moment. They can also see photos of the project as it progresses and time tracking is very useful. Our field guys have it on their phones so all the information is at their fingertips. A lot of time is saved by not having to make calls to ask questions or get things clarified.
ConsThere isn't anything I can think of that I don't like about it. BT is always working to improve the software and changes are often integrated without notice. But that's better than having to periodic upgrades as software releases are made. Everyone gets the latest version so no one is missing anything.